Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by AlbanyTim
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is this a good idea”

• yes 14 votes
      48%
    • no 12 votes
      41%
    • maybe 3 votes
      10%
    • nothing can satisfy my thirst for new code 0 votes

(29 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

STERN-UPDATEPAGE.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I know we are a demanding bunch of clients. I know we demand perfect stuff. I know that we are persistant. So wouldn't be awesome if you could remove some of the PR pressure by keeping us informed in a timely fashion and at the same time get Code quality checks for free!

The bitching and moaning is a bi-product of your own making. I'm not saying it was something you neglected knowingly but none the less it's here like a huge swell. From a PR standpoint you guys would only have to do 2 things to lay most of this "bad vibe" to rest.

1. Set targets for code implementation on all games (old and new) that still have bugs and make those target dates public. These estimated targets could move up or down the chain. That way people know when to expect the code instead of mystical fight scenes on top of pinball machines and then crickets. Make it a visual thing. Have all games set into a spreadsheed-like thing that people can relate to. Each game could show lists of bugs that are noted and as the programmer progresses through these things they update the spreadsheet. Each games could have visual milestone points where code gets released. People would be informed. You guys could also tap into this forum to make it work to your advantage by asking for bug inputs on the same page. You would get code quality control for free and probably end up saving programming time. (i.e. programmer finds bug and fixes it, but doesn't know about 2 more bugs with the same code. If people would submit a list, that programmer could make a fix for all bugs at the same time 'when that is possible' and save time and most likely keep code cleaner.) This could greatly help with the ongoing situation.

2. Refer back to point #1 and keep it up on the social scene.

This way people are informed, people feel like they can contribute to a better product and feel implicated. It's a win win situation. Here is a rough representation of what I am talking about. Hell you could even hire me to do it. If people have more ideas than submit below and make this thing happen.

STERN-UPDATEPAGE.jpgSTERN-UPDATEPAGE.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I'm not sure about having dates, but maybe a list of reported bugs and which ones are being worked on would be enough.

#3 8 years ago

Like mentioned these dates could move if bugs are found and fixed for the latest release. I'd rather see a date associated to it along with the bugs currently being worked on. I wouldn't mind so much if the date moved as long as you see proactive work towards a goal.

#4 8 years ago

A suggestion . Do not buy the game until the code quality suits your individual required level of perfection . Removes stress related to a feeling of not receiving value for your money . Enjoy your day . Shane

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from bepositive:

A suggestion . Do not buy the game until the code quality suits your individual required level of perfection . Removes stress related to a feeling of not receiving value for your money . Enjoy your day . Shane

I think the above is also applicable for those who decide to wait as it gives them a pretty good indication of code progress.

#6 8 years ago

I think Stern could get rid of many PR issues by simply editing each pin's feature matrix until the code is at least 95% complete.

Currently you see this listed as a feature, including on WWE.
    "Easy-to-Follow game rules for casual players, with depth for experts"
    To me that sounds like it's implied that it ships with complete code, not buggy half-assed code, not Beta code.

Is there one person who knows the full rules for WWE? If a game has bugs, is the game easy to follow?

I think most of the code gripes can be tied to Sterns quote above which sounds like it lies somewhere between misleading and false advertisement. My $0.02.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from bepositive:

Do not buy the game until the quality suits you

+1

true genius

#8 8 years ago

I think Stern is doing just fine and should just keep doing what the are doing. If they "fixed" this issue we'd just find something else to bitch about.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think Stern is doing just fine and should just keep doing what the are doing. If they "fixed" this issue we'd just find something else to bitch about.

I'm sure there still would be some form a of bitching...just think there would be a lot less.

#10 8 years ago

I wouldn't say Stern has as much a PR problem as much as the customers have an impulse control problem.

Quoted from flashinstinct:

Hell you could even hire me to do it.

How generous of you

#11 8 years ago

Does any other similar manufacture do this? It seems like this would be a headache for Stern. Fans will only get more demanding because they see other games in develop and not theirs. If something happens and the schedule changes (delays), fans will be even more upset. We have seen the negative side effect of other pinball manufactures releasing early information and setting dates long before a game is developed. Fans like getting the info but then nitpick every detail and complain endlessly over delays. I see no reason why Stern would volunteer that kind of pressure on themselves. I agree that Stern should do something to demonstrate they are improving code development. Doesn't really matter if games keep getting sold, though.

#12 8 years ago

There are many project management products out there that are used in the software industry to do exactly what you're proposing. The one I particularly like is JIRA (https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira). In all likelihood, Stern uses a similar product, it's just not set to public. The product I cited is intended for agile development shops.

The big issue with bug reporting is that the layman does not know how to properly report or describe a software bug. I imagine that with pinball, that issue would be even worse because there is also the possibility of mechanical or electronics failure that might be misidentified as a bug.

I don't blame them for not making that information publicly accessible. 95% of the bug reports I get at work are either identified as human error or intentional design points. It takes a lot of effort to interact with the public when it comes to software development.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

How generous of you

I know, right

Quoted from jawjaw:

I see no reason why Stern would volunteer that kind of pressure on themselves.

I'd see more this concept as an opportunity to remove pressure. If people read the bugs list and saw that the bug they found is being worked on or is in cue then at least they know the bug will be addressed. Disclosure is most likely better then no disclosure. Again this idea could totally suck but just throwing it out there.

Quoted from AlbanyTim:

It takes a lot of effort to interact with the public when it comes to software development.

Was thinking more of this thing as a bulletin board. were post that are valid get posted on their. Sure hteir is a validation point in the backend somewhere but the filtering of the bugs are done in house. I wouldn't see this as people posting anythign and it shows up in the cue right away.

#14 8 years ago

I think Stern could get rid of many PR issues by simply removing their FB page/account altogether!

Wait until the game is out 12 months if you want to know if the core of the code in a pin creates an enjoyable, balanced game. If it isn't up to your liking after a year, it probably ain't happening.

If you can't wait, you don't deserve the right to complain. You spent your $ and that's a risk. You should be happy at that point, no matter what. You knew the risk. There are no guarantees regarding an epic playing pin.

You knew the risk when you bought a game the day it's out and THEN you complain, no one is listening to that noise.

If someone is butt-hurt because their "dream theme" pinball is not polished to their liking after they bought it, that's tough cookies. I like Kiss but the game is lacking an epic feel. Stern gets no money from me. Moving on to the next game...

#15 8 years ago

I'd see more this concept as an opportunity to remove pressure.

Your assumption is they feel highly pressured; I believe you might be mistaken there.

#16 8 years ago

Bug lists and enhancement requests are freely available for most open source projects. This isn't open source. Yet.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Your assumption is they feel highly pressured; I believe you might be mistaken there.

Exactly. What pressure? People are buying games anyways and regardless of code quality.

#18 8 years ago

Was thinking more of this thing as a bulletin board. were post that are valid get posted on their.

That's exactly how this product works. The challenges facing Stern are not unique in the software industry. There are all sorts of solutions out there for this exact problem.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-this-would-solve-alot-of-your-pr-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.