(Topic ID: 253300)

Hey Stern! Make some new Ghostbusters Ecto-1 topper!

By Midway-Man

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 314 posts
  • 105 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by P1nhead
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should Stern do another run of Toppers?”

• I want one. MAKE SOME STERN! 150 votes
    65%
  • I have one. It's expensive but great. Would buy again. 20 votes
    9%
  • I have one. It's not necessary. It's to expensive for what it does. 9 votes
    4%
  • I don't have one. And don't want one. 52 votes
    23%

(231 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3812 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3810 (resized).jpeg
20231206_165858 (resized).jpg
IMG_3197.jpg
IMB_ioB39M.GIF
pinside.dcb5ac0c8050727271f7d80f235868f974905298 (resized).jpg
pinside.843d5fb7e4ea1b1cebc2d01f1927af2691826595 (resized).jpg
pinside.715005fa398ab80a09b7b9911a6613f055032f5f (resized).jpg
IMG_20231126_002332.jpg
IMG_20231125_225329.jpg
20231121_201750 (resized).jpg
20231121_184435 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231119_183728.jpg
IMG_3125 (resized).jpeg
20231111_180351.gif
20231105_200948.gif

There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 2 years ago

Anyone want to chime in the power rating for the topper on GB?

I went with a single 18awg stranded, ofc, tinned wire jacketed in silicon that is rated for 200v and 7.5 amp. This wire is safe to handle 360 watts at 48v and 7.5 amp.

Each LED is rated for 350mA, 15 LED equals 5.25 Amperes if each LED is on at the same time at full brightness.

I am well within specification for this single wire... why did Stern use two each on my other toppers? (talking the 48v and gnd lines on CN7 from the PBD in the backbox).

#152 2 years ago

Okay, who brought the topper?
VID_20211029_204030_SparkVideo.gifVID_20211029_204030_SparkVideo.gif

IMG_20211029_212017.jpgIMG_20211029_212017.jpg
#153 2 years ago

Do you think stern will go after you trying to reproduce their topper? I wonder if they have a patent or something that would prevent another from building and then selling.

#154 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Do you think stern will go after you trying to reproduce their topper? I wonder if they have a patent or something that would prevent another from building and then selling.

I guess they should've made more.

...but nobody mentioned selling them.

#155 2 years ago

Stern gets to sell the node boards to make these toppers so they are still getting a cut.

I don't think there is any dramas making them.

#156 2 years ago

In science making a model with some lights is nothing more then a step in the process of your study.

#157 2 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

I guess they should've made more.
...but nobody mentioned selling them.

Oh got it. Sorry I thought you were planning on selling these.

#158 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Stern gets to sell the node boards to make these toppers so they are still getting a cut.

Time to setup the production line then.

#159 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Stern would definitely shut it down imo. They are all over things like this now

#160 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

politely I don't agree

Stern would shut it down if it was while they were producing GB and if it had Ghostbuster logos on it or a protected IP like the Firestation. Example back in the day during production if you were trying to remake and sell a repro Firestation it would be stopped or they would want a cut. Since the game is not on the line they won't be bothered.

Currently it is a topper using Stern parts = they would love selling the node boards as it means they are effectively getting a cut of topper anyway.

#161 2 years ago

Just mocking up the replica code 3 force 4 light bar

IMG_20211030_180335__01.jpgIMG_20211030_180335__01.jpg

Don't worry about the housings being a solid blue or red for the flashers, they will be a solid grey back with chrome trim around the appropriately colored lenses.

Will probably ditch the sniffer sensor (unless I make benheck angry and tie in the pulses for slimer to a servo that moves the sniffer left and right). Nonfunctional speaker has to go though.
IMG_20211030_224907__01.jpgIMG_20211030_224907__01.jpg

Thinking about the nonfunctional speaker - it would be overly complicated but consider this for attract mode: put a real speaker powered by a t-amp, raspberry pi zero, trigger the sound of the engine starting up/horn beeping/siren blaring/Ray's comment on all the things wrong with ecto-1/etc whenever the pulse is detected AND there is no signal present on auxillary input (taken from the aux out ala pinnivators subwoofer out kit). Probably not worth the effort.

1 week later
#162 2 years ago

Used foamboard and cheap 1mm plexiglass to ensure dimensions translate to the real world... getting closer to the finish.
Screenshot_20211106-121605.jpgScreenshot_20211106-121605.jpg

#163 2 years ago

Since core 3 owns the design for this lightbar, I decided to approach it from scratch - still looks great. Base measurements still spot on. I have the base completely printed (18 hours). Transparent blue acrylic is on its way. Using environmentally friendly ACM panel (brushed aluminum black) for the mounting base.

The flashers will be present, just not on this rendering.

Jury is still out on the sniffer and speaker.

IMG_20211108_200715__01.jpgIMG_20211108_200715__01.jpg
#164 2 years ago

Had a chance this weekend to throw the 3D printed parts together, tidy up the wiring harness, and ensure things fit proper.

Stern really did pack this topper - the BOM added up real fast.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on color of the base, the middle top. Black (as in the way it prints)? Off white? Some metallic paint? Match the current left and right flashers?

IMG_20211114_001358__01.jpgIMG_20211114_001358__01.jpg
1 week later
#165 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Screw them. If they don't like it, make more themselves. No infringement if it doesn't say Ghostbusters or have a logo on it.

#166 2 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Had a chance this weekend to throw the 3D printed parts together, tidy up the wiring harness, and ensure things fit proper.
Stern really did pack this topper - the BOM added up real fast.
I'd be interested to hear thoughts on color of the base, the middle top. Black (as in the way it prints)? Off white? Some metallic paint? Match the current left and right flashers?
[quoted image]

Wait - are you being serious? The stern topper actually costs a good amount to make? It looks kind of cheap so I’m surprised to hear that.

#167 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Wait - are you being serious? The stern topper actually costs a good amount to make? It looks kind of cheap so I’m surprised to hear that.

Electronics alone. The investment up front to make the wiring harnesses. Metal body. Acrylic lenses. Lots of molded plastics (so much various toolings). For what you get and at the price point, it was a helluva deal.

#168 2 years ago

Does anyone have a ghost busters topper for sale?

#169 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Does anyone have a ghost busters topper for sale?

There's probably at least 50 people looking for one to pop up. There was one recently listed for an insane $3500 and it sold for some undisclosed amount. Crazy

#170 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

There's probably at least 50 people looking for one to pop up. There was one recently listed for an insane $3500 and it sold for some undisclosed amount. Crazy

That is just plain stupid. Paying $3500 for any topper is a just a sign the apocalypse is upon us.

#171 2 years ago

I dont know why people poo poo the Stern GB topper, I think it actually looks cool and fits the theme well.

#172 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I dont know why people poo poo the Stern GB topper, I think it actually looks cool and fits the theme well.

I'm not poo pooing the topper. Just saying no topper is worth $3500. I think that is a fair statement but the world is a crazy place right now.

#173 2 years ago

I just sold my topper for $500 as part of a sale of my GB for a NIB TMNT.

#174 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

it looks very good on the machine and is cool no doubt but topper prices in general have gone bonkers.

#175 2 years ago

Just popping in here, this looks great! Heck yours is looking as good if not better that the original. A lot of people looking for these. I get PM's all the time for mine and my LE.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#176 2 years ago
Quoted from Bmanpin:

Just popping in here, this looks great! Heck yours is looking as good if not better that the original. A lot of people looking for these. I get PM's all the time for mine and my LE.

I find it interesting that I have also received PM's asking if I would be interested in selling my GBLE (no topper on mine though). I personally think that this LE is a beauty. It checks off all of the boxes I would have on a wish list for a pin. Maybe the only thing that could make it better would have been if it had made it into the Spike2 era with an LCD. That said, the early days with Aerosmith video/art wouldn't necessarily be better.

#177 2 years ago

I was hoping with the release of the new Ghostbusters movie that Stern would release a vault edition and we'd finally get the chance to buy a topper, but I guess that's not the case, unfortunately.

#178 2 years ago

I get an email or two a month asking if I would be willing to sell my premium. I'm glad everyone is coming around finally

#179 2 years ago
Quoted from mdeslaur:

I was hoping with the release of the new Ghostbusters movie that Stern would release a vault edition and we'd finally get the chance to buy a topper, but I guess that's not the case, unfortunately

Was hoping for this as well! I thought it would sell well for Stern and promote the movie, but may have been a licensing thing.

#180 2 years ago

It sounds like Stern can't keep up with with actual committed orders and many are claiming that they are months out from getting their pins so although I too would love to see a vault for those who are interested and a $500 topper that ship may have long since sailed.

#181 2 years ago
Quoted from mdeslaur:

I was hoping with the release of the new Ghostbusters movie that Stern would release a vault edition and we'd finally get the chance to buy a topper, but I guess that's not the case, unfortunately.

I was hoping too.
But they didn’t announce anything.
Missed opportunity…

#182 2 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

It sounds like Stern can't keep up with with actual committed orders and many are claiming that they are months out from getting their pins

I asked around about how long it would take to get Godzilla premium and I was told a year. I wish we could see VEs of these in demand pins like ghostbusters but Stern can't meet current demand. They should pause their release schedule and catch up and then do since vault editions. I don't know why they keep releasing new games with such a huge list of backorders.

#183 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I asked around about how long it would take to get Godzilla premium and I was told a year. I wish we could see VEs of these in demand pins like ghostbusters but Stern can't meet current demand. They should pause their release schedule and catch up and then do since vault editions. I don't know why they keep releasing new games with such a huge list of backorders.

Don't worry Iron Man Vaults are coming. Lol come on Stern! I can't say anything though they are definitely killing it.

#184 2 years ago

Laser cut acrylic lenses look great! Almost done finalizing the design and toolings.

IMG_20211129_123315__01.jpgIMG_20211129_123315__01.jpg

Anyone have thoughts about the left, right and rear flashers? I kind of like this as just the light bar.

#185 2 years ago

It does look neat like that (nice acrylic work by the way!). I'd probably have to watch some videos of the topper in action to get a feel for if the other flashers add much (or are used independently enough?). Otherwise just the blue flashing lightbar might ok.

#186 2 years ago
VID_20211129_202031_SparkVideo(1).gifVID_20211129_202031_SparkVideo(1).gif
3 weeks later
#187 2 years ago
Quoted from Zzap:

It does look neat like that (nice acrylic work by the way!). I'd probably have to watch some videos of the topper in action to get a feel for if the other flashers add much (or are used independently enough?). Otherwise just the blue flashing lightbar might ok.

VID_20211220_223354_AdobeCreativeCloudExpress (4).gifVID_20211220_223354_AdobeCreativeCloudExpress (4).gif
1 week later
#188 2 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

[quoted image]

Nice! Does it interact with the game.

#189 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Nice! Does it interact with the game.

Yes, it interacts the same exact way the original stern topper does.

#190 2 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Yes, it interacts the same exact way the original stern topper does.

Looks great. Are the blue flashing lights siren type lights or leds?

#191 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Looks great. Are the blue flashing lights siren type lights or leds?

All LED "flashers."

3 weeks later
#192 2 years ago

When. Will. We. Get. More. Toppers?!

#193 2 years ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

When. Will. We. Get. More. Toppers?!

From Stern? Likely never.

#194 2 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

From Stern? Likely never

Yeah, I’m not holding out hood either but I was more so trying to bait the folks that have been building and it worked! Any updates on your build? Do you plan to make the acrylics and plastics available in some capacity to folks?

10 months later
#195 1 year ago

Come on sell these if you do put me down for one

3 weeks later
#196 1 year ago
Quoted from Phatchit:Come on sell these if you do put me down for one

I keep revising. The last thing I want is for someone to spend any amount of money and feel like it is cheap.

This will happen in 2023.

#197 1 year ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

I keep revising. The last thing I want is for someone to spend any amount of money and feel like it is cheap.

Looks amazing! I’m in if you decide to make some of these available.

#198 1 year ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Now we’re talking…

3 weeks later
#199 1 year ago

Working on my topper, currently have the right side done and printing need to finish modeling the left side then printing that once the rest is caught up

0F0E251F-3E0D-4DCA-9A24-83278C4A1303 (resized).jpeg0F0E251F-3E0D-4DCA-9A24-83278C4A1303 (resized).jpeg2DE2118D-FA67-479F-B1DF-5E2E0A75FD3D (resized).jpeg2DE2118D-FA67-479F-B1DF-5E2E0A75FD3D (resized).jpeg
#200 1 year ago

Please put me down on the “interested list” as well. Even if it’s just a DIY kit, I wouldn’t be scared of some assembly. Ghostbusters is a dream theme that deserves a working topper!

Quoted from P1nhead:

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-make-some-new-ghostbusters-ecto-1-topper/page/4?hl=mdeslaur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.