(Topic ID: 253300)

Hey Stern! Make some new Ghostbusters Ecto-1 topper!

By Midway-Man

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 313 posts
  • 105 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 hours ago by CPPinball29
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should Stern do another run of Toppers?”

• I want one. MAKE SOME STERN! 149 votes
    65%
  • I have one. It's expensive but great. Would buy again. 20 votes
    9%
  • I have one. It's not necessary. It's to expensive for what it does. 9 votes
    4%
  • I don't have one. And don't want one. 52 votes
    23%

(230 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3812 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3810 (resized).jpeg
20231206_165858 (resized).jpg
IMG_3197.jpg
IMB_ioB39M.GIF
pinside.dcb5ac0c8050727271f7d80f235868f974905298 (resized).jpg
pinside.843d5fb7e4ea1b1cebc2d01f1927af2691826595 (resized).jpg
pinside.715005fa398ab80a09b7b9911a6613f055032f5f (resized).jpg
IMG_20231126_002332.jpg
IMG_20231125_225329.jpg
20231121_201750 (resized).jpg
20231121_184435 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231119_183728.jpg
IMG_3125 (resized).jpeg
20231111_180351.gif
20231105_200948.gif

There are 313 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 4 years ago

The recent Ghostbusters code update made the Ecto-1 topper actually a really nice add-on which does fit nicely into many Gamerooms.
Back then when the topper initially launched, I wasn't ready to pull the trigger on it, since it was barely used. Now it is used well, i want one!!!
Even if their license is expired. Stern can renew it if there is enough demand for the topper.

#2 4 years ago

I fully endorse this message.

#3 4 years ago

Im in!

And yes, Stern's license has in fact expired.

#4 4 years ago

I want a topper!

#5 4 years ago

It’s grossly expensive for what it is, but next to the Kiss topper, it’s Stern’s best. The new code made it even better.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

It’s grossly expensive for what it is, but next to the Kiss topper, it’s Stern’s best. The new code made it even better.

Before the new code I said I would never buy it due to cost and how it barely works. Now that I have seen how it works, I need one haha.

#7 4 years ago

I will take one....kicking myself for not grabbing one

#8 4 years ago

When I first saw the topper in action, I thought it looked like a fisher price toy and wasn’t worth the money. Well, it probably still isn’t worth $500, but I kinda like it now. I bet if Stern did a new run they would sell well. Lots of these games have changed hands and new owners love to put their stamp on the game.

#9 4 years ago

Im curious why exactly they need a license for this. I mean, cant they just make something similar and call it a "ambulance topper" or whatever. I dont even think the topper has any GB logo or anything on it.

What makes this a license issue vs. just offering something thats on a cop car or whatever?

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Before the new code I said I would never buy it due to cost and how it barely works. Now that I have seen how it works, I need one haha.

My thoughts exactly.

#11 4 years ago

I reckon amongst a few modders this could be made available and possibly better but just need someone to assist with the boards and wiring and still be under or around the same price.

#12 4 years ago

Maybe Stern will produce the toppers again when they renew the license for the closed flipper gap vault edition sometime in the future... Or am i dreaming?

#13 4 years ago

Stern, please make one more run of the topper. So, we can enjoy everything the new code has to offer.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Im curious why exactly they need a license for this. I mean, cant they just make something similar and call it a "ambulance topper" or whatever. I dont even think the topper has any GB logo or anything on it.
What makes this a license issue vs. just offering something thats on a cop car or whatever?

The topper has the logo Ghostbusters in front

Indeed I love mine

I was told by Stern that based on a standard pin run they make roughly enough toppers for 25% of the games

Whether this is true or not I cannot confirm

#15 4 years ago

Op your poll sux limited options!
Oh and I bought my topper when I bought my game. GLWYS.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

The topper has the logo Ghostbusters in front
Indeed I love mine
I was told by Stern that based on a standard pin run they make roughly enough toppers for 25% of the games
Whether this is true or not I cannot confirm

Oh gotcha, didnt know it had a logo. Ok then take the logo off and people can just add a sticker or something.

#17 4 years ago

Just got a NIB Premium 3 weeks ago - my first pin! Would love to get a topper. Here’s to hoping they make more!

#18 4 years ago

I doubt were going to see another run unless there is a vault edition and even then it's probably a slim chance. At this point I think our best bet is to get a parts list and some photos from a generous topper owner....

#19 4 years ago

Sounds like the Ecto-1 topper has become the true collectible... a limited edition. I hope Stern adds even more topper programming on top of the new topper stuff. Stern make another 500 toppers too please. Make them slightly differently, put x/500 plate and have Dwight sign them.

#20 4 years ago

add me in for a GB topper!

#21 4 years ago

For anyone in the 4% who said that they have one, but its too expensive for what it does, id happily purchase this off of you if its in perfect condition. PM me if interested...

1 week later
#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

For anyone in the 4% who said that they have one, but its too expensive for what it does, id happily purchase this off of you if its in perfect condition. PM me if interested...

Your post was a good idea. Did you hear of one yet?

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Your post was a good idea. Did you hear of one yet?

Nope! Not a word..

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Nope! Not a word..

Someone posted and offered $1200 for a GB Topper. Not sure if it was Pinside or Facebook.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Someone posted and offered $1200 for a GB Topper. Not sure if it was Pinside or Facebook.

lol. Well I definitely would not pay anything ridiculous like that.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

lol. Well I definitely would not pay anything ridiculous like that.

Kind of surprised no one has offered you one in $500-$700 range. That would seriously lower their total cost basis, plus some have toppers they don’t care about. Someone will make a good substitute (someone mentioned trying to make them for sale close to the $500 level.) Yikes!

I saw some GB lights on eBay for $75 that are in a similar configuration but with fancier lights used. I didn’t care for the look, but maybe the next guy will make one better looking than Stern’s original one. I may buy the ecto1 car and try to mod the leds. It looks better anyways.

Wonder if your luck would improve if you threw out a number of what you’d pay and whether you‘s expect them to package and ship it? It might draw someone in.

#27 4 years ago

I have the topper for my Pro and the new code really makes it in my gameroom. I'll sell mine if someone is actually throwing $1200 for one out there though lol!

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Kind of surprised no one has offered you one in $500-$700 range. That would seriously lower their total cost basis, plus some have toppers they don’t care about. Someone will make a good substitute (someone mentioned trying to make them for sale close to the $500 level.) Yikes!
I saw some GB lights on eBay for $75 that are in a similar configuration but with fancier lights used. I didn’t care for the look, but maybe the next guy will make one better looking than Stern’s original one. I may buy the ecto1 car and try to mod the leds. It looks better anyways.
Wonder if your luck would improve if you threw out a number of what you’d pay and whether you‘s expect them to package and ship it? It might draw someone in.

Id only be willing to pay $500, the original cost if it is in perfect shape. $500 for the topper from Stern is already a large amount imo.

1 month later
#29 4 years ago

43 people want one in this poll alone...how about making a limited run of 50? Please?

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from mdeslaur:

43 people want one in this poll alone...how about making a limited run of 50? Please?

How many of those 43 would buy one for $750 though? Those LE plaques don't come cheap.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

How many of those 43 would buy one for $750 though? Those LE plaques don't come cheap.

If it will return for sale. It won’t be 750$ that would be insane. Since the initial run of toppers was just 500$

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

It won’t be 750$ that would be insane.

Insane, yes...surprising, absolutely not.

#33 4 years ago

Might sell my GB topper on top of my LE..

What’s the going rate!?

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

What’s the going rate!?

Mmm around 750

#35 4 years ago

They cant make new runs. They do not have the license anymore.

Would have to be someone independent.

1 month later
#37 4 years ago

hey stern.....add me to the list......please make more ecto toppers

3 months later
#38 3 years ago

Would it be feasible to add "any" 12v (ambulance or police style) beacon bar? Where would one need to tap into to get it integrated with the game?

How does the "official" topper connect?

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

Would it be feasible to add "any" 12v (ambulance or police style) beacon bar? Where would one need to tap into to get it integrated with the game?
How does the "official" topper connect?

The original topper has its own nodeboard built in. This means the topper is actually connected to the spike serial bus and can be turned on/off and show different effects.

#40 3 years ago

From my understanding, they build X units, and after that, out of luck. However, if they did make another run, I would really try to get one. After the update it seems to be better integrated.

#41 3 years ago

Definitely in for one if they did another run.

1 week later
#42 3 years ago

I still want one!

#43 3 years ago

Hope Stern decides to vault the GB topper. If they built and offered 500 GBv toppers for $525, they would sell out in 4 hours. However if they built 1000, they’d have enough for everybody. With my luck they would be offered to buyers of the JP3 toppers. So if I paid Stern $625 for that topper, I could receive a GBv topper for $525 and a total outlay of $1,050. That is a steep price to pay for my “desired” GBv topper, but after throwing the JP3 topper in the trash, I could focus on playing an enhanced GB pin.

#44 3 years ago

Would love to see a GB Extreme Vault edition

With the current Video Display Not DMD

Of what could of been :-/

#45 3 years ago

I have a GB topper that I may let go...
but I am looking for a BM66 Batmobile topper with cash BM66 way..

Know someone with a BM66 topper!?

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

I have a GB topper that I may let go...
but I am looking for a BM66 Batmobile topper with cash BM66 way..
Know someone with a BM66 topper!?

#47 3 years ago

I would love to get one. I don’t see it happening but I won’t pay $1000 for interactive lights. Surely someone could recreate this for a reasonable price. It’s already crazy that I’ve mentally accepted $500 as reasonable at this point. I hate this hobby...

#48 3 years ago

Slight off-topic but related question. For the topper, does anyone know which part I could order as a replacement for the power cable extension that originally came with it? I having trouble searching for the right connector as I don't know the name for that style. The topper I got was missing both the extension cable and the RJ45 coupler. The coupler is easy to find, but i could use some help on the power extension cable

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Slight off-topic but related question. For the topper, does anyone know which part I could order as a replacement for the power cable extension that originally came with it? I having trouble searching for the right connector as I don't know the name for that style. The topper I got was missing both the extension cable and the RJ45 coupler. The coupler is easy to find, but i could use some help on the power extension cable

I sold mine to someone and forgot to include the extension. I then sold the machine so I can’t send it. I might make him one, if I do I will make one and sent it your way also.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

ethernet and molex usually, can you post pics of the ends on each side? I bet we could source the plugs etc. so someone could build them themselves.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
There are 313 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-make-some-new-ghostbusters-ecto-1-topper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.