Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1F8C97E1-B971-45A6-A343-01197445B353 (resized).jpeg
    0D71BFA8-948E-43DE-A8CE-0E66D8A353D3 (resized).jpeg
    DEC34ADB-0A79-4051-BC7A-ABE543F58FC8 (resized).jpeg
    6E5C86CA-4FE4-43B9-BCF4-FD5E0235B616 (resized).jpeg
    4DC20784-B7C4-44D0-B0D1-97224FD48F02 (resized).jpeg
    C7716A80-AC2F-40EF-8E57-9DB966FC542F (resized).jpeg
    BA3B05C8-E7E6-413E-BFE3-2B18E902CFCB (resized).jpeg
    6ECE5D98-FAF8-4B99-AF4A-9451AB3F8E0D (resized).jpeg
    Nightbreed_Cover_1200x1200_1800x1800 (resized).jpg
    ReAnimator_Front_Cover_web_1800x1800 (resized).jpg
    Warriors_Cover_1800x1800 (resized).jpg
    THE_BURBS_Cover_Web_1800x1800 (resized).jpg
    Tales_Mummy_Spice_Record_1800x1800 (resized).jpg
    Evil_Dead_2_Cover_semi_hi-res_1800x1800 (resized).jpg
    F13_Part_II_Cover_Web_1800x1800 (resized).jpg
    DOTD_Cover_1800x1800 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zombieyeti.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 4 years ago

Love and are friends with many of the artists mentioned here. I think Mondo style art would be incredible on a pin... but...

I also know the pinball production pipeline... A major problem is time - and knowing that a typical poster like the ones shown here usually are 100s of hours - weeks to months worth of work - doesn’t translate well to a pinball schedule.

Example - Iron Maiden consists of all new art created without styleguides - all 3 unique backglasses, 3 unique cabinets, playfield & plastics & aftermarket stuff like blades & toppers equates relatively to the framework of about 15-20 posters (working at scale sizing as I do)... that was a 7month project. I worked 15-18 hr days the entire project.

Sooooo the alternative would be I cheapen my art but If you have to lessen your target output to hit a mark, that’s not going to empower an artist... and it will kill your ‘brand’.

It’s hard to both fast and stay broad for a moving target (pinball is not a straight line) - it’s made me question my place and benefit in pinball a lot. The fact is that the process isn’t built with art in mind...

That said - if you love it and don’t mind losing any other client or work during that 7mo period (where you could make products that you could sell) AND you like not spending time with friends and family on holidays, then this is the best job ever

And for the record - this isn’t a Stern thing - it’s the way it works with production schedules in the licensing world. That’s why photoshopping assets was a thing and still is. (With Treatment’s to say they are not).

So anyway - there’s some insight as to why creating new art from scratch for pinball is a hard sell in practice to established artists... thank Jpop for getting me before I was freelance so I’d not know better

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Thanks for your insight and ‘peek behind the curtain.’
    I think we’re seeing pinball art taken to new heights, and I’d love to see the trend continue with a broad range of artists, styles and themes. Lots of challenges, sure, but nothing insurmountable.
    Thanks again for what ya do!

It’s less surmountable than it could be - if a Single month on a single poster budget - upon release - can yield an entire 7mo pinball art budget? It’s a tough sell to the artist.

Then factor the months not being available to other clients (who then replace you with other available artists) and it complicates it further...

I’ve approached artists to join the fray - established won’t budge when the details are involved.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I wish everybody involved in pinball - from art to code to design to winding a coil - would post something like this.
    Everybody thinks everything in pinball is a "no-brainer" but it's always way more complicated than it seems.

It’s a very complicated & intricate TEAM project. It’s got a lot of moving parts from beginning to end and that’s not for everyone. I personally like the team environment and love everyone I work with at Stern. It’s a commitment tho as a freelancer - and it’s def not for everyone.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zombieyeti.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-hire-gary-pullin?tu=zombieyeti and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.