Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Rob_G
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0247 (resized).PNG
    bluetape5-750x330 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

What's the best way to protect a 9k pinball machine? Oh Oh I know Blue Painters tape. Would not want that ugly white t molding on a Star Wars LE to get all marked up during shipping. Stern please at least buy the better grade painters tape that does not come off in half inch pieces and leave a awful residue. The dollar store is not a go to place for safety and security needs. That being said after I remove the white t molding and put something more fitting for that caliber of a game like black or chrome the game is next to perfect. Absolutely wonderful game. Whoever is in for an LE or a premium will be more then pleased. Minus the sticky ugly white t molding with bits and pieces of blue dollar store painters tape.

bluetape5-750x330 (resized).jpgbluetape5-750x330 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

You might let Stern know. In case it came on the molding and they didn't add it on.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Been to 2 Unboxings of SWLE and both had the same Blue Painters tape. Perhaps in theory it was a good idea but. Not so much. Lloyd you are the man. Always there to help. Stay positive Brother!

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

What's the best way to protect a 9k pinball machine? Oh Oh I know Blue Painters tape. Would not want that ugly white t molding on a Star Wars LE to get all marked up during shipping. Stern please at least buy the better grade painters tape that does not come off in half inch pieces and leave a awful residue. The dollar store is not a go to place for safety and security needs. That being said after I remove the white t molding and put something more fitting for that caliber of a game like black or chrome the game is next to perfect. Absolutely wonderful game. Whoever is in for an LE or a premium will be more then pleased. Minus the sticky ugly white t molding with bits and pieces of blue dollar store painters tape.

The white t-molding stands out like a sore thumb on the LE. I had a photoshopped image with black t-molding and it looks a lot better.

Rob

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

The white t-molding stands out like a sore thumb on the LE. I had a photoshopped image with black t-molding and it looks a lot better.
    Rob

What colour is the stormtrooper uniform? Better in black too?, wait no um there in only one of those! Darth, Rob_G loves the dark side

#6 6 years ago

I too had the blue tape, It came off pretty easy and left a film, just pulled out the 99.98% Isopropyl Alcohol and a microfiber cloth and it just came off easy. I dont understand the problem? Much better tha sticker price label etc that dont come off!

#7 6 years ago

I'd like to point out that although there was more packing stuff to clean up this time around (a bit of a nuisance), I think Stern did a great job with things like the painters tape, plastic over the side rails, and a couple little rubber pieces under the head (protecting the cabinet).
    Looks to me as though they're stepping things up a little in the shipping/protection department.
    Way to go!

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

I'd like to point out that although there was more packing stuff to clean up this time around (a bit of a nuisance), I think Stern did a great job with things like the painters tape, plastic over the side rails, and a couple little rubber pieces under the head (protecting the cabinet).
    Looks to me as though they're stepping things up a little in the shipping/protection department.
    Way to go!

I saw 2 NIB sterns arrive damaged at Pin-a-go-go last year. That was a major disappointment for the new owners and a major expense for Stern. I'm glad they're stepping it up.

BUT! Use quality materials please

#9 6 years ago

If I were you I think I'd be much more worried about if my playfield is going to ghost or not rather than the painters tape because Star Wars appears to have pretty crappy playfields in them like GB did when it first released.

#10 6 years ago

I've never had an issue with Painter's tape leaving residue. Maybe the machines were subjected to high heat sitting in delivery trucks etc.

#11 6 years ago

What they need to use is a low adhesion painters tape like this

IMG_0247 (resized).PNGIMG_0247 (resized).PNG

#12 6 years ago

I'm trying to figure out why they needed painter's tape at all. I never had it on GOT LE, and the moldings were fine. Has this been standard practice in the past?

#13 6 years ago

My guess is it is the white color. Any scratches/dirt would show up clear as day.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

My guess is it is the white color. Any scratches/dirt would show up clear as day.

Or they didn't want you to realize until it was too late that white looks like ass on this machine.

#15 6 years ago

//////

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-blue-painters-tape-really and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.