Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from happilymarried05:

where the problems lay so why not contact stern directly? If I buy a new car and it ends up being a pos I'm calling the damn company who made it AND the people who sold it

Not sure where you live... but that didn't work in Oregon.
You have to take the dealership to court. Not the company.
I even went so far to complain to Dodge about piss poor manufacturing QA check... and they said "we empower our dealers to handle these problems".. and told me to go pound sand. As a result; I'm not buying any more Chrysler products. Let them pound sand trying to get my biz back.

So no; I don't buy your argument.

Still Stern has issues... and they still sell out of product. Who's really at fault here?

#400 7 years ago

Where is the exit door on this hobby?
LOL

I get the anger... and the pitchforks. Stern is the new king of cost cutting... at least until these machines start shipping from China.

If the rumors are true... and SW is coming this year... I think I'll be glad I'm not going to participate in the NIB market from stern.

Right now ... the only vendor I'm looking for a NIB from is Multimorphic. At least his "wood" can be bought at Lowes and replaced when it scratches.

#455 7 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

Why didn't StarTrek, WWE, Mustang or even Kiss have any issues? I know many of these, even those in bars with zero ghosting.

IDK; there could have been a change to a more "environment friendly" / gov mandated Clear which is cause this issue.

My Star Trek is an LE... so it has a more layers and/or thicker clear.

1 week later
#1148 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Quoted from newpinbin:
Made in Japan?
Yeah, they only did like 25 titles.

Bwahaha... same "pedigree"

In 1986, after the death of his father, Gary Stern helped found Data East Pinball, which was then purchased by Sega and re-named Sega Pinball. Gary subsequently bought the business from Sega and renamed it Stern Pinball, Inc.

-- http://www.sternpinball.com/about

#1319 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Chatter says both, but I don't think we've heard anything definitive.

Not sure it's a problem of cost... although; Normally I'd agree with this statement.
I feel like the original vendor either quit the business (not likely); or they can't keep up with the demand. IE Stern expansion, maybe Spooky and JJP use the same company? And/or maybe the original vendor went into an auxiliary market to keep the doors open and they can't supply the new numbers of PFs for Stern.

I also seriously wonder if part of the problem might be a forced government oversight for ClearCoat. IE Environmental and/or OSHA regulation. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a forced formula change to meet some new regulation; you know like they did for spray paint a few years ago.

1 week later
#1371 7 years ago
Quoted from Bramvk:

In Europe it is different. The distributor is responsible for the warrenty. European consumer law applies when they are selling to home-users (B2C) aka consumers. European consumer law protects (for 2 years) the buyer much more than the Stern factory warrenty. If the distributor sells to a busunies (B2B) then the Stern factory warrenty apply.

Makes me wonder if this means the distributor in Euro gets a larger cut for the larger risk they have to take.

As far as the GBLE with ghosting inserts.... that's disappointing. I was foolishly hopeful the extra clearcoat meant less issues.
I think Stern is going to tell people to pound sand as it appears more than a small percentage will have this issue. Well; actually - I expect Stern to say nothing to us... or the distributors; other than "meets quality"

1 month later
#3678 7 years ago

Is someone making these plastics in "volume"?
Maybe I should use my Techshop membership to make a bunch if needed.

1 week later
#3853 7 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I looked at their page last night. I did it with the perspective offered by Kristin on This Flippin Podcast. It's amazing to see the most recent posts and the lack of comments.

Just went to FB and verified that I had not liked their page. There... I feel better.

1 month later
#4590 7 years ago

talk, words. I trust nothing until I see an official press release w/ criteria for replacement.

#4593 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

well gary said it and i've video'ed it - uploading the video of the session at the moment; i doubt you'll ever get a press release.

Absolutely right... because they want to hide this as much as possible.

#4668 7 years ago
Quoted from Rokablly:

Has anyone else noticed that he says they have changed their process a little bit (7:48) and then goes on to say they have been doing the same thing for 30 years and nothing has changed? Which one is it?

When I heard it... I heard that he was "surprised" they were having issues because they hadn't changed anything.
Now due to the issues; they are making changes.

Who really knows.

1 month later
#5014 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Stern called and is shipping my crate out today. Buy with confidence.

Umm... how can you say that... may take them a freaking year to ship your PF back to you... and it might ghost again.
Let's wait and see if they are fast with the replacments... and they replacements aren't junk before you
"buy with confidence"

#5020 7 years ago

Yeah... I do think they'd risk it given they shipped machines with bad pfs long after it what well known there was an issue.

Glad your a fanboi... Glad they are attempting to resolve this for you. Hope it works out.

3 months later
#5941 7 years ago
Quoted from AstonEnthusiast:

Just wish my wife didn't google "Aerosmith quality concerns" as she insisted we pull the plug on our LE order until the quality concerns subside.

Smart Wife. She's a keeper.

2 weeks later
#5955 7 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

I was told they are removing some parts to send back to stern and then drilling a 2" hole in the center.

That is both scary and satisfying.
On one hand; I'm glad they aren't trying to "rework" the clear coat.
But on the other; there seems to be a missed opportunity to Sand to wood... and reapply art and clearcoat.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious?tu=zitt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.