Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yeoldpinplayer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1553 7 years ago
Quoted from No_Skill:

Would some dead pixels on your TV be considered a defect? The TV still functions and the missing pixels are only a minor cosmetic annoyance, right?

Notably, computer monitor warranties specifically stated fewer than x dead or stuck pixels was not a valid reason for a return. Five IIRC but it likely varied by size and between manufacturers. TVs probably have similar language in their warranty.

#1641 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeworld:

I just unboxed a GB pro. Rubbing my hand across the playfield I can tell the clear is very thin, and not all the lamp inserts are 100% flush with the playfield.
I have seen this "ghosting" on another GB pro that has been routed for 2 months. Examining that playfield I can state that the inserts where "ghosting" is occurring is due to the insert lifting out of the playfield. this was confirmed with a metal straight edge. One is so bad you can catch your fingernail on the lifting edge.

You inspected it closely and checked it with a straightedge, found clear examples of substandard construction, and posted no photos showing the problem?

3 weeks later
#3201 7 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

This is clearly a cost cutting move that backfired.

Correlation does not equal causation. No one knows what caused the problem yet. Could be cost cutting, could be something else.

#3204 7 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Probably ... this is a cost cutting change.

Maybe not. I'll evaluate the evidence before I decide. If you have some to share I'd like to see it.

#3250 7 years ago

Great to hear Stern is taking the problem seriously. Thanks for sharing the news.

#3509 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Trent said Stern is undergoing a review process of my playfield, and if approved for replacement, they will send me an empty box that I send my playfield back to them where they swap all components to a new playfield and then send it back.
Sounds like this would take months to me!

I doubt it would take months. I'd guess less than two weeks.

Quoted from kpg:

I then said no way, I want a populated playfield advance replacement. He said even if they did approve it, it would go on his advance account and he would need a check for get this - $5,000 - to ship me an advance replacement.

Trent is telling you he would be on the hook for a $5k deposit (refundable, or it's not a deposit) and passing it along to you. That's between he and Stern and shouldn't be your problem. Given the severity of your defects I'd ask Trent to push for an advance replacement on your behalf and if that fails call Gary yourself. Maybe offer to overnight your bad playfield if they can promise to overnight one back to you ASAP.

Doesn't make any difference how much money you make, what you drive, or who you're married to.

#3660 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Where , show me where stern has said they have program and where they have acknowledged they have a problem.
Spent an hour on the phone with my distributor yesterday , Stern hasn't told them anything about a program
One guy gets called by Gary and told he will get a new playfield after sending his back , and all of a sudden there is a program ? Wrong, until stern makes a blanket statement to us or their distributors specifically regarding these pf there is no program.

We have second hand information from at least two sources that there IS a program.

Quoted from Ranhorton:

"I too received a very nice phone call from Gary Monday evening.
I had sent a direct (but polite) inquisitive email about a week ago where I voiced my curiosity and concerns about the current playfield situation.
They are aware of everything and I was told a plan will be announced in the upcoming days.
-Ran

Quoted from kpg:

So, Trent gets back to me about this "Program". Trent said Stern is undergoing a review process of my playfield, and if approved for replacement, they will send me an empty box that I send my playfield back to them where they swap all components to a new playfield and then send it back.

EDIT: I have since spoken with Stern and the issues/anger above has been clarified.. definitely speak to your dealer about this, as the above information may not apply to you!

What we don't have is details on the program. Based on the existing evidence I'm confident that a program exists and Stern will pass the details along to the people who need to know when they figure out the exact details themselves.

1 month later
#4572 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Classic Pinside.
The only guy with any real information is shouted down by the masses.

You have posted nothing to indicate you have real information. Even if your conclusion is correct your reasoning process to reach that conclusion could be faulty.

If you don't wish to be treated as a shill, don't act like a shill.

1 week later
#4682 7 years ago
Quoted from AtTheArcade:

I found the exact verbiage for the warranty that was posted:
STERN PINBALL INC. SELLER WARRANTS ONLY TO THE INITIAL PURCHASER OF ITS
PRODUCTS THAT THE ITEMS LISTED BELOW ARE FREE FROM DEFECTS IN MATERIAL
AND WORKMANSHIP UNDER NORMAL USE AND SERVICE FOR THE WARRANTY PERIOD
SPECIFIED; WARRANTY PERIODS ARE EFFECTIVE FROM THE INITIAL DATE OF SHIPMENT
FROM SELLER TO DISTRIBUTOR.

You can generally find the warranty on the last page of the manual. GB is on page 53.

GhostbustersLEmanualPg53 (resized).jpgGhostbustersLEmanualPg53 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#4876 7 years ago

Way to step up Chambahz! Kudos to you for that.

2 months later
#5455 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Churchill isnt making any playfields for Stern and isnt in the future im told by Stern distributor.

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/churchill/index.html
There were hundreds of playfields at Churchill in October of 2016. How certain are you that your distributor gave you good information?

#5459 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Shes the most honest distributor ive dealt with. Have you seen any Churchill stamped playfields, there very proud of there playfields why would they stop stamping there name on playfields? Im under the impression that a deal went sour and Churchill isnt ever going to make Stern playfields again from story i heard. i seen that Churchill had made some GB playfields but did they ever send any to Stern, i was told no. Could be a complete bullshit story and im just going by what ive been told and since no playfields have shown up stamped Churchill im going to believe her.
!!! Can anybody show a 2016 or 2017 playfield with Churchill stamped on it?

There are literally hundreds of playfields shown in the Pinball News article from October of 2016. There are screens in the screen printing area for Ghostbusters, Kiss, Star Trek, Metallica, and a few other titles.

How do you reconcile the photographic evidence that in October of 2016 production of Stern playfields was happening with story you've heard? Does it seem more likely that none of those playfields were shipped to Stern or the story you heard was wrong? Maybe your distributor was simply wrong?

#5487 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Did anyone else notice the guy running the industrial router without any apparent ear protection?

Looks like he has foam earplugs similar to what I use. They provide attenuation up to about 36 decibels. USA regulations require under 80 or 85 for a weighted average but I don't remember if it's eight hours or a shorter time period.

2017-01-21 11.30.26.jpg2017-01-21 11.30.26.jpg

1 month later
#5626 7 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

We received a replacement playfield for GoT back in August, but the old one is still here in the box and we're waiting for instructions. First we were supposed to get a paid return shipping label, but now it seems we're going to provide "proof of destruction" instead. Might involve drilling at some specified places and returning some key parts. The details are still to be decided. In the meantime we have a great source of replacement parts, so there's that

Quoted from nowakster:

I'm sorry, I read that you were thinking of destroying the playfield and claiming it got damaged in shipping and returned to you. That's what I interpreted so if I am wrong, then there is nothing shady there.
I do think that shipping no matter where you are should be treated fairly. Not quite sure what that means though. I do believe you shouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg for shipping. But to damage a product and lie about how it was done, is plainly unethical. I also understand that putting bad playfields in a box is also unethical but are we really stooping so low as to be an eye for an eye? I hope I am interpreting your original statement wrong.

I interpreted oyvindmo 's post to mean that Stern's original plan for replacement was the bad playfield be returned but now they are considering asking him to destroy it and provide proof of that destruction. If that's the case I would strip everything off the playfield and break it into pieces, keep all the spare parts that Stern doesn't want returned.

2 weeks later
#5902 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

I have kept up and I don't believe there has been a single case that someone received a populated playfield first.

Quoted from jar155:

I'm not going to dig, but I know of at least two.

I know one person had a tech from their distributor come do the swap so only a couple hours downtime. I don't know of any playfields sent prior to the bad one being returned.
That doesn't mean it didn't happen. If Jar says he knows it did I believe him.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

15,699 (OBO)
$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yeoldpinplayer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious?tu=yeoldpinplayer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.