Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3036 7 years ago

I honestly don't know whether to believe if this whole playfield problem is as hig of a deal as some people are trying to make it out to be or not. Obviously Stern is going to have some quality problems from time to time, just like any other manufacturers do. In the case of KPG though, he admitted in another thread that this Pin is in a garage that is not climate controlled and said that it gets very hot in there. I dont know where he lives but I live in Ohio and I can tell you that my garage gets so damn hot that I certainly wouldn't want my Pinball machines out there. If he lives in the south, its three times as bad as Ohio probably.

I am not ragging on KPG, I don't know him and he's probably a nice guy but I have to ask myself why does a guy have 30,000 dollars invested in 4 pinball machines and he wont spend another 400-500 on an air conditioner? He says the other machines are fine. I dont know if extreme heat is hard on a playfield or not, but I gotta believe that it probably is and im sure its hell on the electronics as well. I'm getting a new GB myself and yes I will be pissed if it has playfield issues, but I have a feeling that Stern may be taking some unnecessary heat and getting some bad publicity that they dont deserve on this playfield issue because of a few people on this forum. I personally love the machines they have put out over the last few years and im glad they are still around. I also believe that for the people that have serious problems that Stern will make it right.

#3040 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I dunno - does your car's CC start to delaminate and fail because it's in a warm garage? Plus the chips on the boards get FAR hotter when running then when turned off in a hot garage.
I found a FT back in the day that had been stored in a shed through freezing winters and blazing summers and had to buy it because it had a perfect unfaded cab (which I knew was pretty rare).
15 years later and it's never had any electrical issues and it turned out to have one of the nicer PF's I've ever seen. So that would seem to discount the theory that a little heat would make the PF fail so spectacularly. Plus all his other pins have always been there and are fine. He did some nice work on TWD's audio for example and during all that time never mentioned a prob with his pins.
I WISH it was just a "few people" for Stern's sake as they CAN make reliable products. The TWD I have is as nice or nicer than my LOTR or TSPP. Really nice PF on that.
Maybe this really IS their first foray into making their own PF's in-house? I know my other Stern's have "Weber Playfield" and "Churchill Cabinet" printed on the sides of the PF's and I have yet to hear of a GB owner seeing a company ID on the side of their PF.

I dont think the heat hurts the clear coat itself because obviously it doesnt hurt it on our cars. I was thinking more along the lines of maybe the wood expanding or contacting and maybe that making the clear coat seperate or crack. Im not saying it does or it doesnt, I honestly have no idea. I do for sure believe though that an extremely hot garage would be a bad environment for a pinball machine for many reasons. If this is as serious as alot of people seem to believe, then we definitely have a bad situation on our hands. I play a GB pro at a local barcade and its getting the crap played out of it and the playfield has no issues at all.

#3041 7 years ago

KPG, you probably dont have to worry about your cars but if you own guns I can tell you that they will ruin in your garage. Im not trying to act like an expert and I will be the first to say that I just dont know if pinball machines are threatened by bad climates or not. My gut feeling is that they could be though. Im just trying to help.

#3050 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I gotcha but to be fair the Pro really HASN'T had these kind of issues. Just the entire line of LE's seem to be the most affected. I suppose we'll see if it spills over to the Premiums next.

I dont know why a pro would be any different though unless the pros playfield is made by a different manufacturer?

#3052 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, it's the expansion and contraction of the wood that cause problems in a non-temperature controlled environment. My experience is that planking gets worse on Sterns in that kind of environment. It's one reason why I don't keep them in the garage anymore.

With that being said though, I actually do have an old Supersonic that was left in a garage at least 10 years through some very hot summers and very cold winters and it didnt hurt the playfield on it. The back glass has minor paint peeling which is probably the environments fault though. The old playfields may be apples and oranges compared to the new ones though, I dont know?

#3053 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

That's the question. Word had it that Stern was going with in-house PF production. And if there are no other companies signature along the edge of the PF (as has been in the past) that may be an indication that this has indeed happened.
But with zero information it's just some some fun conjecture on our part. Well not so fun for the owners caught in the middle of all this.
Stern's been decent in the past about problems so I'm hoping THAT certainly doesn't change. Guess we'll see.

I hope they have it figured out because this couldn't have happened at a worse time. Ghost Busters could very well be their hottest selling Pin ever. I want to buy one right now but im a little afraid to. I kinda think this is being overblown somewhat but im afraid to pull the trigger on a new machine and find out. 5-8k is a good chunk of money. I expect perfection at that price.

#3058 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Yeah I'd definitely wait. They'll be making them for a long time.
You wouldn't want to be in KPG's shoes right now... well unless that meant you get to drive his car every day

He definitely has an awesome car, but I have a Spitzer dragster sitting in my garage that will smoke his so I wasn't really as impressed as he thought I would be. I know a little bit about hot cars myself, it was a nice try though.

Oh ya, and my garage has AC in it also!

#3061 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

lol - you guys

I would still trade him cars though. The wheels on his car probably cost more than my dragster lol. The McLaren is one of my favorite cars, they are sweet.

#3063 7 years ago

Dang Gawcol that sucks man......sorry to hear that. Screw it, im gonna just play the hell out of my WD and hold off on the GB for awhile.

#3065 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Thanks for sharing this,

Umm....thats pretty scary for sure......

#3084 7 years ago
Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

I'd take his garage over yours...

I think you would probably take either one of our garages and be happy.

#3090 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Well that is positive. I hope it works out for you and everyone. I'm just going to pass. I really shouldn't be spending that kind of cash on toys anyway. My wife says to do t since I sold my WOZ but I'm thinking I should just save the money. Good luck.

Hey if your wife says do it then you should do it, because she may change her mind tomorrow! lol

#3100 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

The last thing I would do in your shoes is cancel the LE order. It would not be hard to sale it for what you have into it unopened in the box...heck Ill buy it from you.

If it has playfield issues it would be a pretty hard sell at 8500 dollars

#3199 7 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Hey Jerry,
Still waiting to confirm you'll ship a pro to my door for $5,000 with 1 year warranty.
Paying retail Stern MSRP or higher in pinball is dumb, glad you found some suckers to pay it, good for you. In STL we have Amini's the pricing is insane as I am sure your's is.

Hey Jerry from Pinball Alley, why do you keep ignoring this guy and why won't you answer his question? Please tell us what your price is on a Pro, Premium, and a LE model. A dealer like yourself who has such awesome customer service and that gives a one year garunty (I think thats how you spelled it?) You could gain a ton of new customers on here!

I have this funny feeling that you are like the dealer we have here in Cincinnati area (Waltons) that charges 1500.00 more than other distributors do for their pins and boast such great service, which is a lie by the way. Hell for an extra 1000-1500 dollars, I would garunty peoples machines also. They are paying you dearly for that "garunty" and piece of mind!

I would love to buy a machine off of you but I just get a really bad feeling about a businessman that cant even spell guarantee! lol

#3200 7 years ago

In Jerry's defense guys, I just talked to him and he seems like a pretty good straight up guy. I hate the spelling police on here and I never should have pulled that on him.....sorry Jerry! The Shysters that sell machines near me kinda gave me a bad image of all dealers I guess and I shouldn't have went there with him. I hope he Is as honest and takes care of his customers as good as he says he does. I shouldn't have judged him without knowing him. If anyone is near him, give him a call, you may score a good deal who knows? Its worth a try I guess.

#3257 7 years ago

I think Stern will make this right for people. Ive always heard that they take care of their customers very good if they have problems. I have also heard that Gary Steen is a great guy, thats why I hated to see some people on here bashing them so hard. Stern is making the best pinball machines that has ever been made right now and im glad they're around personally. Did you ask if they have a new playfield manufacturer by any chance? I am assuming that is the case. I think if I was Stern that i'd be trying to make that old relationship work again. The playfields have to be top notch and professionally made, you just can't cut corners there, no way in hell.

#3261 7 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I sure am glad you are all reassured by kpg's testament. I don't know kpg, but it seems strange that he is the only one who got a response.. and from Gary no less. He must be pretty influential on the answering machine. What did he do different than the other guys who've been nagging Stern?

Im not reassured by his statement at all, I always believed that Stern will make this right. At least its a start and something to go on for people who are having problems right? Maybe KPG got the call because his playfield is the worst out of the bunch, maybe its because he is the one making the most noise, maybe Gary wants to drive his car? Who knows, im just glad some communication is finally going on.

#3265 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

what is shocking to me are the airballs on this game. they are ridiculous, how was this game shipped without being fine tuned to get rid of the crazy airballs??? a few $2.00 plastics would have went a long way to stop a lot of the airballs. I mean this game was tested correct? the inlane/outlane wires don't do anything barely to stop balls from jumping over, if it wasn't for the pinballlife kit I would be pretty frustrated by now.
the pin is a blast but like I said it was 95 percent mechanically completed imho.

I have played alot of games on a pro at the local barcade and I havent seen many air balls, is this a problem on all 3 models or just LE and premiums? I did however have many balls jumping over the inlane/outlane rails and that really sucks and should be fixed. The air balls need fixed also if its a problem. I know my TWD occasionally has some serious air balls as well, it looks like a baseball player knocking one out of the park or something! Issues like those need to be fixed before the first machine ever leaves the factory.

2 weeks later
#3948 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't think they can even know the answer to whether the problem is solved or not until they try, try again with the next batch.
Whatever happened to have Churchill fall off Stern's playfield supplier list really screwed Stern with this whole mess.

I have a feeling that they probably do know what happened. I could be wrong but I don't think Stern would keep building games and just praying that the playfields arent bad. I am also certain that there has probably been some super intelligent people that have been working hard on trying to figure out why this happened and how to correct the problem. That also doesn't mean that everything is going to be perfect now either. There are always going to be troubles that pop up in just about any kind of manufacturing.

#3950 7 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I asked Gary straight up if the problem was now fixed. He was very coy with his answer and didn't really say yes or no. Who knows what that means. Maybe they think it's fixed but don't want to say for certain or maybe they are just gonna ship out all the playfields they have on hand and just replace the really bad ones or the ones from customers who complain the most.

What exactly did he say?

#3975 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Yeah seriously, the ambiguity in this thread is ridiculous.
Doucher - "Oh Gary called me and now I have a boner"
Pinside - "What did he say??"
Doucher - "He was coy. Did I mention my boner?"

LOL!

#4029 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

Stern will not change PRO PF`s
for a Euro 6K game thats a bummer
now the distri has the financial damage and must swap the machine at his own cost
nice service!!

If you have a bad playfield, its not gonna matter if its on a Pro or an LE. Stern will fix your playfield no matter what model that you have.

#4032 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

My friend got this info from his dealer
at the moment only LE will be swapped but he will not get it before 1-2017 !!
his dealer had no infos that a PRO will be changed.
Pro = for business not for collectors
if you have other infos, let us know

People put LE's and Premiums on location also and more pros go to homes than they do on location too

#4119 7 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Gotcha, its my fault if I have to replace something that should not have needed replacing in the first place. Not everyone has the ability to pull an entire play field out by themselves or has a buddy they can call so a repair person will need to be hired out of pocket. GB cost just went up 100-300 in price.

Come on, you dont have a friend, wife, neighbor or somebody that would help you for 5 minutes to lift the playfield out of your machine and put it in a box? I kind of find that a little hard to believe.

#4122 7 years ago

ME? All day long buddy, hell I would even ask you since you can't be that far from Cincinnati on your way to a game some time. The fact is I am sure there are plenty of older collectors with friends that are not so strapping to help muscle a pin, fact that time is money for a lot of people and fact that with a little more QC this would not be an issue. Every one who is having issues is not getting what they paid for and everyone can agree to that.

And I would definitely help you out also for sure. I see your point but thats a very rare occurrence that would be an issue I would think. I mean Stern can only do so much, and I think sending a new populated playfield is satisfactory truthfully. Its also exactly what Stern should do also. If they are going to charge a premium for their games then they definitely should be obligated to back them up too.

#4125 7 years ago

Agreed, and thanks, I will hit you up if I need a play field swap. If Stern really wanted to make it right the whole "case by case" thing would be nixed and anyone with a messed up GB should get a replacement regardless of original purchaser or not. I mean stand by your product right?

Yes I kind of agree with that as well since everyone knows that its a huge manufacturing problem with these machines. You could have brought the Kiss and GOT to my house while you are deployed and I would have taken good care of them for you!

Are you from Cincy?

#4166 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

So you want a bad playfield? I would rather wait until these issues are sorted out (if they are).

Rumor is the playfield issues are fixed. We will see with this next batch of games coming out.

#4192 7 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

Stop spreading rumours.. how the hell would u know

Im not spreading rumors. How the hell do I know this? There have been several people saying that the playfield issues are "supposedly" fixed. People right here on Pinside that have talked to people at Stern. Maybe if you would read this forum more you would know these things.

#4194 7 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

Mate your just one of the many posters that keep on spreading this sh1t ...
Posted over and over thats how rumours get started

Ok lets just assume that it isnt true, so what? Im not intentionally spreading lies, im just passing on what I have heard on here. Im not on here saying...."I talked to Gary Stern personally and he has assured me that the playfield issues are fixed and nobody will ever recieve a bad playfield ever again".

I do believe that there is some truth though to the playfield issues being identified and fixed. Thrres nothing wrong with passing information that I have read on here so get over yourself.

#4198 7 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

Getting a little upset are we? (edited)

No, not even a little bit why?

#4199 7 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Hey guys, rumors are...bullshit.

That could be true but I dont think that these rumors are. People get pissed when they don't hear nothing, and people get pissed when they do hear something lol. It's kind of a no win situation really.

#4205 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

So you are basically parrotting info you have no way to verify or even evaluate and is already hearsay. That's what he's talking about... the echo chamber.

Yes thats basically what I am doing. Is there something wrong with when a guy ask if the playfield issues have been fixed if I say "rumor has it the playfield issues have been resolved?" I really do not see a problem with that whatsoever.

#4272 7 years ago
Quoted from kell:

Ghosting started on my extra ball. Ugh. I had even put Mylar over it.

I don't think mylar will keep your inserts from ghosting. When was your playfield made?

#4274 7 years ago
Quoted from kell:

Ha, I know. But I was hopeful. 7-21 is the PF date. I was actually expecting it to happen sooner, but it took a few weeks. I would say two are ghosting, but the one arrow hasn't gotten worse in a week or so.

Im very curious to see how this next batch of playfields that are coming out look. I want a GB Premium but if the next batch of playfields have issues im out. I dont have 7k to just throw away. I demand perfection at that price.

1 week later
#4300 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I wanted to share that 3-4 weeks later, This Friday, I did finally receive a Return call from Stern and an Apology.
While my issue was not playfield ghosting, it was play field rails not tightened.
The end communication was to make right anything and everything they could at this time.
Slow, but satisfactory, and a Thank you to amend the issue to a tentative close.

Thats very good news, glad to hear this.

1 week later
#4423 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

You have made a couple references to Stern using cheaper wood. What is this based on?

He doesn't know, he's talking out of his Azz

#4480 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Yes I do know.
Evidently you seem to think you know otherwise, as to the cause of the problems ... I'm sure everyone would be very grateful to be enlightened.

I DO NOT KNOW the cause of the problems. YOU are the one that says that you KNOW that Stern is using cheap wood, so please tell us all how you know this. You act like you have some kind of inside info but you wont reveal your source or your proof. You dont know anymore than the rest of us know. We dont know what's causing the problems, we dont know if its even a big problem. For all we know 5 percent of the playfields could be bad or it could be 100 percent, which I doubt that is the case. If they're using cheap wood as you suggest, then all of the playfields should be bad and that is not the case.

I have a new GOT Pro with a june playfield date and so far there are no issues and it looks fantastic. I'm definitely concerned about it but so for so good, time will tell I guess. There is a GB Pro at the local barcade with a ton of plays on it and the playfield looks fine, so obviously ALL of the playfields using this "cheap wood" arent going bad.

#4521 7 years ago

This is probably a dumb question, but how come TWD hasn't had ghosting issues? Im sure the same playfield manufacturer is making their playfields also. My WD has a Feb 2016 playfield and still looks perfect after 1100 plays. It seems like GB and Spiderman VE are the games having most of the issues. Ive seen a few GOT with problems also but nowhere near aa bad as GB. I know that GB is outselling GOT and TWD right now but there have been lots of those games sold also in 2016.

#4524 7 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

My TWD premium playfield is from April with a July build date but I've only had it for two weeks/300 plays, so far looks great no issues.

I got a GOT last week with a June playfield date and have put 130 plays on it and it looks really good. I know its way too early to say that I wont have playfield issues, so for the record I am not saying that at all. I'm just saying so far so good.

#4576 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Classic Pinside.
The only guy with any real information is shouted down by the masses.
Approximately one month ago (Sep 10), I stated that playfield issues had been resolved.
I'm certain that every word I write is going to be scrutinized, so I'll clarify that I later challenged people to find issues from Sept 7, onward. We've seen a couple issues from Sept 8th (2 days before my post) and nothing since. Sorry for being slightly optimistic.
Apparently by sharing information, I'm now seen as a Stern schill.
See, THAT'S what makes you and your thumb-giving buddies "Stern-hating-whiner-babies".
(Shout-out to Maken. He's been abnormally quiet recently. I hope you're doing ok, buddy! I understand you're probably quite embarrassed for being so vocal when it's becoming quite obvious you were wrong the whole time.)
You guys have ZERO info and I CALLED IT, near to the day.
While I love your opinions ("It's soft-wood! You can see it!") and all other useless posts, supporting each other, the truth is: YOU'VE ALL BEEN WRONG.
My last post was simple: information only. I stated that the last issues were reported Sep 8th. Even that was apparently too truthful for some of you.
See, this thread isn't just for you and your buddies who like to thumb each other; it's an important thread for potential buyers, checking to see if it's safe to buy a new pin without having to worry about the playfield-swap program.
So for anyone concerned: the last playfield manufacturing date that showed ghosting/chipping was... September 8th.
Now I don't want to offend you guys any more than I already have, but in other news:
THE EARTH IS ROUND.
Sent from my iPad

Does Pinside have a biggest Douche Bag award? If they do then this guy has earned it. If they dont, they need to make one especially for him!

2 months later
#5138 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

With a one year guarantee, I just do not know when it's time to take any legal action?

I don't think the playfield even has a warranty against ghosting. Even if it did, you would spend more in attorney fees than what you could just buy a new playfield for lol. Stern has already said that they will replace people's play fields that are bad, so just chill and be patient instead of threatening legal action. Stern is probably just as pissed that it happened as you are. They will fix your playfield, Gary even said so.

#5144 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Did Gary say that, I did not hear anything, any statement... Just hearsay. Did Gary call you? I did not get a call. Nothing, not even that my complaint was received....
The replacement strategy is not clear to me. I also read the post of the guy that got a replacement and that it was an old field with the spelling error. I still want to believe and work on trust, but time is running out. That's what's troubling me.
It is a lot of trust for a 9K machine. A legal letter will not be that expensive and will force them to reply.

Yes Gary did say that, there's even a video on YouTube where he talks about it. I don't blame you for being concerned though for sure. I don't know exactly what route you need to take to get someone's attention, but I would probably start with my distributor and if that don't work I would be blowing the phones up at Stern and and emailing the hell out of them. I don't like being ignored when I have a problem either so I understand your frustration. If you happen to live close enough I'd drive to the factory if I had to, to get someone's attention. I'm sure someone on here can probably point you in the right direction on what to do.

#5182 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I want to sell my GBLE, and my hands are tied because of this playfield issue. Hope something happens with yours soon and it gets replaced before you would like to sell it.

I thought you loved Ghostbusters? Just three days ago in another thread you said that you wouldn't sell it?

"I have to say if I had to sell one today, it would be my GBLE.. although I couldn't, because my playfield is a ghosted and chipping pile of shit and who knows when Stern will replace it. That's another story of course. But I honestly won't sell the game as it is very fun once you put a center post mod in it and get it dialed in.. and the theme is great, so it won't leave my collection for a long time.."

#5261 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well that would be a newly placed DI on location i believe.
Kind of looks like Woz PF's i've seen around the tree pop bumpers.

But but but.......I thought JJP machines were much higher quality? Now I'm really confused! Unbelievable!!!

#5275 7 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

Do you understand the difference between a single "test" machine with a single issue, and a "final product" that continues to be shipped to customers in mass quantities, with KNOWN design flaws and defects, as well as an unfinished and bugged computer code?
If so, you may be wise to hold off on comments regarding JJP quality until the "final product" has shipped. Unlike another major pinball company who expects the final user to also double as the beta tester.
Don't get me wrong, I've suffered my fair share of JJP failures, and plenty of them. Just today I had to pull the driver board out of a WOZECLE and replace a 540IRL transistor that shorted, which of course subsequently fried the trough VUK solenoid.
It has also been my experience that JJP playfield build & clear quality is no where near the high quality of Stern's..... until recently, of course. The playfield on my WOZ RRLE is pretty much destroyed after only 11,000 plays. Looks just like the pictures of iceman44. Mine is even worse around the 4 pop bumpers. While the playfields on my Iron Man VE at 24,000 plays, and my AC/DC Pro at 16,100 plays, always polish up like new when they get cleaned & waxed.
No comparison..... until recently, of course.

I don't think I would say single test machine because that's not the only bad JJP playfield that I've seen. Do you understand the difference between sarcasm and someone being serious? My post was a joke actually so you may be wise to hold off making stupid comments to people until you understand the difference! But anyway while we are here, I would actually expect JJP's quality to be outstanding as much as they want people to pay for their machines, but they aren't. They have had plenty of issues with their machines playfields and electronics both.

#5283 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

That's what worries me a lot, the uncertainty of the situation, will my GB suddenly crap out and ghost like hell 12 months from now? Mine is perfect so far...

I doubt it seriously. I bought a GOT that was built when the bad playfields were being built and it had me pretty worried. I've played over 600 games on it and it still looks great. I'm not worried about it anymore and convinced that it wii be fine. No ghosting, no clear coat chipping, nothing.

#5421 7 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

So I know I'm chiming in 109 Pages late, but I'm just curious what people would think about an issue that I had in the past with Stern.
I owned a game, that many people on pinside made threads pertaining to pf issues. I was experiencing similar issues to those posting, so I made a phone call to stern. My game was barely a month old, and I was told that it was not covered under warranty.
This was almost two years ago, well before the GB fiasco.
I thought I was out of luck as I got a quick NO.

How are we supposed to know what to think about the issue that you are talking about if you won't tell us what the issue is? lol

Please post pics of your playfield

#5423 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You have to be kidding me! There are about 100 ways for you to win this. I win with "no positive end result for us", at an accelerated rate due to your efforts that begin with the petition. Wtf. Stern already knows full well about the petition.
There will be a positive end result anyhow and it won't be because of the petition.
If you and everybody else that don't have a PF and/or has any other issue that doesn't get fixed within 30 days, you lose. Every single one of them.
Another thing that is definitive is file suit or not. Let's put a wager on that one. It's either yes or no. And you have another 30 days from the date of the petition to get it filed, class action. Any dummy can file their own bogus suit.
Although i wouldn't be surprised if they try and make you eat those legal fees as well.

Iceman I'm sure glad you finally got here. KPG has been up all damn night waiting on you to show up!

#5428 7 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

Sorry about that. Was posted hastily.
No pics on hand at the moment, but it was with respect to inserts raising and playfield warping/planking.
Was a problem on a few titles back when Metallica started production. I've seen it on various titles and threads were made on pinside about it.
When I called to ask about a game I had pruchased, I was explicitly told nothing would be done.

Well if that really happened, and I'm not saying that it didn't.....I would have went to the factory and probably shoved that playfield up someone's azz and went to jail. That should absolutely 1000% be replaced with a new playfield. Did you call your distributor and try to get help through them also?

#5438 7 years ago

I think KPG and Gary Stern should have a cage match and all proceeds go to charity. If KPG wins free playfields for everybody, if Gary wins everybody is screwed. I can see Gary busting a playfield over KPG's head right now! lol

#5445 7 years ago

It wouldn't do much damage to KPG as those play fields fall apart to easily

Yeah and KGP's head is way harder than a pinball also. Your talking serious playfield damage there!

#5488 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

The lack of health and safety regulations or adherence to them in the US boggles the mind almost every time i see non cutting edge facilities. It's nothing like Canada, Europe or Australia .... or even China, in many cases.
Horrible for workers ... but also one of the reasons the US has remained semi competitive for low tech stuff unlike other advanced economies.

This is simply not true. The U.S. actually goes way overboard with safety regulations to the point that it is putting companies out of business.

1 month later
#5579 7 years ago

Dang guys, I think we all need to take a chill pill here. Iceman is one of the nicest guys on this forum, he doesn't deserve all of this hate that's being directed toward him. I didn't perceive anything he said as a personal attack or anything like that at all. The guy loves pinball and is very helpful to other people on this forum and I am glad that he's a part of it, and he's fun to talk pinball with. I don't agree with every single thing he always says (like Batman being great), but I do think that he is a pretty great guy. Be nice people, he's one of us!

Here's to you ice, even if your new game does suck!

#5581 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

You can't come onto a forum and call people liars or other names and not get blowback from it. He chose to make it personal in the first place.

Yeah but I don't really think he meant anything really serious by saying that. I don't think he said it in anger I guess is what I mean. Iceman is a pretty damn nice guy I think . I don't agree with everything he says, there's very few people that I agree with 100%, and the same obviously comes back at me as well. I don't agree with him on thinking KPG was wrong about being so mad about the playfield situation, but it's ok. I still think he's a great guy and I'd have a beer with him and hang out, and kick his ass all nite long in pinball in a second!

#5583 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

what point is it actually ? that GB is great, so is BM66.... and no one else can have a different opinion ?. unless its a favourable one ?

It's just his opinion. I don't think he cares if people don't like GB or Batman. Heck I told him that he got Boned on Batman and he just laughed. GB is pretty effin great, I will agree with him on that! I'm not sure how that Batman purchase sight unseen is going to turn out for him though lol. For his sake I hope it's good though.

#5586 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I hope that they figure out how to make Batman great. A flop is never good for anybody.
I think it's time to bug my distributor for another playfield replacement update...

It'll probably end up being good. I have my doubts about it being great but it'll probably be ok. See here's what's going on dude. Ice comes home after a long day at work, pours himself a stiff one and just sits in his chair and stares at Batman66. By the time he's on drink 4-5, he's getting a little angry and mother effing Gary Stern for making him make that hideous video and making a fool of himself to get his Batman and then it turns out to be such a Turd
. Fast forward to drink 10, and then he gets on Pinside and starts taking his anger out on everyone on here. He means nothing by it, matter of fact he's probably so drunk that he probably doesn't even remember doing it the next day! lol

Just kidding iceman!

P.S. We really want to see that video though iceman! Please post it!

#5588 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've had Batman for almost a month now with probably thousands of plays and I see no ghosting or chipping whatsoever. Production date 12/16.

If it's held up this long you are good o-din! My WD and GOT were both made in 2016 and look great and now my GB Is looking solid so far at nearly 200 plays in. I hope it stays that way too! I love my GB, greatest pin ever!

#5596 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

The only reason I visit pinside is to troll Iceman & Panzer
Is this the right thread for me?

Yes Sir, you came to the right thread!

#5597 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Best game in years.

Better than GB, TWD, GOT, and MET?

#5601 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

There really isn't any right or wrong or "best ever" right? I think GB and TWD are phenomenal.
And i wasn't really sure until i got significant time on it the last several nights with all the nuances, BM66 is gonna be great and one of MY favorites right up there with the other two.
I can see though how it might get some mediocre reviews without getting a ton of play on it.

Probably not, everyone likes different things. I think GB possibly could be Sterns best game ever but that's just me. I like it better than my TWD I believe. Not as good as WD or GOT for tournament play, but it's more fun to play with friends over a few beers. We were laughing our asses of at the magna slings last nite. Magna slings are the best ever, there's no disputing that!

#5603 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

GB disappointed me tremendously. I will play it again on location while waiting for other games to open up but it's just not a *purchase* for me.
I'm in a weird place right now pinball-wise.
Aerosmith is a shit theme IMO but I might buy it soon if code & PF QC is good. If either of those two criteria are not met I will just wait for Star Wars, Archer, Pulp Fiction or whatever LCD title is next to materialize & mature.

I gotta agree with you on Aerosmith man. I think we have a winner in that game for sure, and I don't even really like them much as a band.

#5606 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I spent time on GB Premium & GB Pro. Both piss me off. The Pro is missing cool shit while the Premium under utilized or botched (IMO) the cool shit. Weird!
Yeah Aerosmith is indeed a surprise. Code & QC is all I need to see!!!!

I think you're going to see code and quality both. Time to pull out some of that old musty money PW!

#5608 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

To me, it is. I could give you four reasons I don't really care for any of those.

I'm not a huge MET fan but I know everyone else loves it so I included it. GB, WD, and GOT though are all time greats!

#5611 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Historical data says otherwise
I'm like Mulder... trust no one. Especially pinball companies. They are the F'n worst lol
But you're right my money is musty!

Well if you watch the dead flip stream the code already looks solid. As far as the playfield quality goes, I think that is behind them personally. My WD and GOT were both made during the real scary times last year and they are both beautiful. My GB playfield was made in October and its gorgeous too. As long as they fix the bad ones that's all I care about, and that appears to be exactly what they are doing.

#5614 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I hate being the "I know and I can't tell" guy, but in this instance I really shouldn't say. Someone who would DEFINITELY know and would speak without bias laid it out for me. It doesn't mean that every playfield will be perfect, because that has never been the case in pinball history, but the ratio of good to bad should be back to normal and acceptable levels again.
What I think Stern wants is to replace the worst of the playfields during the iffy yield window as good will or warrantied replacements and let time bury the whole issue. As long as they replace the affected owners, I really am fine letting it all drop and letting it become a small blip in their historical timeline. Mistakes were made, they just need to be corrected and not repeated in the future.

What month were they corrected jar? Like September? Also we're all playfields produced during thos times made badly or just some? Reason I ask is because my GOT and WD seem fine and they were early to mid 2016.

#5616 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I don't know the beginning/ending time frames. Sounds like all is well now though. Again, you're never going to get 100% perfect yields, but things should be normalized by now.

Just curious because seems like things got better mid September

#5646 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

*ahem*
Magna slings are not the best ever.
I just disputed it. Thank you.

You need to lay off the drugs Rare, they are bad for you! First you said GB sucks and now you're saying magna slings suck. You cannot be serious, magna slings are an absolute riot. I'm not saying put them on every pinball machine or anything like that, but they are perfect for GB! Maybe if they ever make The Munsters they would be great on that game too?

#5648 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They are a great idea, but to me hurt by the 1 switch per sling set up. The total randomness doesn't bother me, not every game has to be the same, but most of the time they get no reaction at all.
Games can be lame and have good ideas.

Seems like they get more active as you get deeper into the game. They seem kinda like normal slings at the start of a new game, but if you have a great game going they start getting very wild.

#5654 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've never done a drug in my life...but I have dated an infamous drug addict. She was super loopy...she'd probably like GB lol

Meh - when they work normally, they work like regular slings, which already exist....and when they do goofy shity for no reason, it's just another cheap down the middle drain from your friendly neighborhood Ghostbusters!

Haters gonna hate! We are not listening to Rarehero.....we are not listening to Rarehero...la la la la la la

#5656 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

How about "Pinball enthusiast who has played pretty much every modern game and knows what works and what doesn't forms a reasonable opinion based on their expeirence" ...well OK, that doesn't quite have the same ring to it

Nope, that's not gonna work!

#5662 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Do we really need to offend all the Ghostbusters in the world?

Rarehero couldn't offend me if he tried!

#5666 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

» YouTube video

Nice lol

#5667 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Ok, but do you speak for all the other Ghostbusters?

No not all, just me, iceman, and KPG lol

#5669 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

This is what is keeping me from buying right now.

I understand but at the same time you can go over to the MET thread and find all kinds of guys that just got games that are happy with them. My big thing is, I want my playfield replaced if I get a bad one, that's all I ask. I got three games that were made in 2016 and I'm happy with all three of thems quality. My GB is still new so the jury is still out on it, but the other two are fine. I think the playfield issues have been addressed personally. Not saying everything is all perfect, but I believe it's way better. I think they just hit a little rough stretch for awhile.

#5671 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

WAY overblown. Just do it. Curly is scared of his own shadow right now.

Sometimes you just have to grow a pair don't you iceman?

#5678 7 years ago

That sucks but if it doesn't get any worse I probably wouldnt be bothered by it either. Also just because theres a ghosted insert on that machine doesnt mean that Stern is still having major problems with ghosting, because they're not. Theres no way they can make 100% flawless playfields, its just not possible. It sucks if you get a bad one, but if you do im sure they will replace it for you.

#5680 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

doesnt matter if it was 2016...... a new pin with ghosting..
not good. but hey, people will still buy ...
but if this is as good as it gets... maybe this is the future. cost cutting, etc.

This isnt Sterns intended quality. If it was they wouldn't be replacing peoples playfields right now. This is no more than a manufacturing bump in the road and will get better because the customers demand a quality playfield. Ive worked in manufacturing for 34 years and have seen many issues like this, and there will be many more also down the road I am sure.

#5682 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

So maybe Stern should start selling Gold, Silver, Bronze versions of games
Regardless of what Stern 'can do', owners are still going to be upset that their NIB game has defects from the factory that hurt it's resale.

I never said anyone shouldn't be upset by it, I said this isnt their intended quality and that from time to time a playfield is going to be bad. Im upset about it and it hasnt even happened to me. I want to see their quality get better also. Im not even taking up for them, im just pointing out that things arent quite as doom and gloom as some people may think. Most people's playfields are fine I am sure. I bought three games in 2016 and all three look great.

#5686 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

My collection is 100% Stern
It's likely 100% of my future purchases will be Stern
Stern is my favorite
I love Stern
But they are not very cool at the moment.

You won't get any argument from me out of anything that you said. I'm not taking up for them, just saying the sky isn't falling as bad as some people let on. There are things that I don't understand why they do them either. Just like the coil eject strength into the shooter lane on my new GB, it's no wonder shooter lanes are being destroyed as hard as it ejects out of the ball trough. I turned the eject down to the lowest setting and now it ejects nice and easy every single time into the shooter lane. Why doesn't Dwight put write that setting into the code? Beats me, but anyone who plays this game can clearly see that it is ridiculously damaging to the shooter lane at the factory setting. Little things like that bother me because it tells me that they aren't paying attention and that they don't care.

#5691 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

For me the issue is you should not have to turn all the settings down and mylar and cliffy everything. Stern's quality has slipped while their prices have gone up. Totally fair to call them out on it. Stern needs to fix the quality or drop the prices. I'm cool with either but not with where they are at.

I hear ya and you are correct for sure.

#5699 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

When did you get into pinball? Stern's quality generally used to be better, and the games cost ~$3700 NIB...people complained about the quality back then, too! Lol. So when you see people complaining - that's the point of reference for many of us. Now it's ~$6500-$15,000 for the full featured version of a game, and the pf quality is questionable. I had a 2004 Elvis with 40,000 plays and after cleaning it up it looked newer than a new Stern with 100 plays.

I only started owning my own games about 3 -4 years ago, but been playing for 35-36 years off and on. That's still beside the point though, any kind of manufacturing is gonna have problems from time to time. I'm not taking up for them, I'm just stating the facts. I'm very happy with all 3 of my 2016 Sterns so far. The GB is new so the jury is still out on that but the other two get played a lot and they look fantastic.

#5701 7 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Everyone defends Stern until it happens to them and Stern goes silent on you. Then and apparently only then will you understand. Congrats on dodging bullets on your three 2016 PF I hope they hold up for you.

Dude are you nuts? Why the hell would you down vote my last post? If you would read back through all my post you will see that I'm not defending stern at all, matter of fact I've dogged the hell out of them for the most part. I know they are having QC issues, I've never said that they wasn't.

#5706 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Exactly, good point. It would be hard stomaching today's NIB prices from Stern even if quality was the same from years ago but when quality decreases, code support is put on the back burner and prices go up it just doesn't make sense to buy their games NIB anymore (at least not right now).
Ghostbusters is a dream theme for me but I'm holding off on buying one due to the playfield issues, lack of substantial code updates, quality issues, etc. My next NIB purchase will be an Alien LE from Heighway instead.

I agree with you 100% but doesn't it worry you any at all to buy a pin from a brand new company not knowing anything At all about their quality or whether they will even be in business next year or five years from now also? I wouldn't be at all surprised if these companies don't have problems also. At least with Stern you kinda know they are going to be in business for awhile and can give you a replacement playfield if you get a bad one. Once again, I'm not taking up for Stern. I know they have been having some bad issues lately and that they need to improve their quality....I get that trust me.

#5713 7 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

I know JJP never turned into the Stern competitor we hoped, but things are looking really really good for Spooky and Heighway. Competition is GOOD for consumers

Yeah Spooky is really pumping out some great games! Give me a break!

#5717 7 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Well TPF is not far away so we shall see what Game #3 brings...

Doesn't matter what it is because the company making it sucks

#5719 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Wow, never heard anyone say that before. Some people don't like their games but I think you must be the first person to say they don't like the company.

It's nothing personal toward the people, I'm sure they are good people. I just don't like their games.

#5721 7 years ago
Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

I had my Walking Dead Pro finally arrive yesterday (production date 30 Nov 2016)
Playfield is perfect, no issues I can see.
So you can purchase WD with confidence.....for now....lets see how it holds up

Congrats, you got a great game there for sure. Playfield will be fine, don't worry about it. I'd put a cliff in the shooter lane just to be safe but it should be fine. I'm not sure if you can turn down the eject power on the ball trough or not, if you can that would be a good idea. I turned mine down on my new GB because it was just slamming the ball into the shooter lane ridiculously hard. Now it shoots it in there nice and soft but I'm still gonna put a cliffy in there just to be safe and one on the drain hole as well, or at least a small piece of Mylar. I have a WD Pro also though, great game man.

#5723 7 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Good luck, takes time for problems to appear so don't consider yourself out of the woods yet. Keep an eye on it.

I guess I could downvote your post if I was immature like you but I don't want to bring myself down to your level. Way to try and ruin this guys NIB experience, real nice of you! How many walking dead have you seen lately with bad playfields? None?

#5725 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't either, but Spooky are good peeps. I'll criticize the games, but would never talk smack about their company.

And if you'll notice I didn't after I reworded it.

#5727 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't either, but Spooky are good peeps. I'll criticize the games, but would never talk smack about their company.

How about the peeps at Stern? They are some pretty good peeps too but you don't have any problem talking smack about their company do you? Hypocrite much there Rare?

#5733 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've made it clear that I have massive respect for almost everyone at stern. My issues are with the people who make the unrealistic schedules for the programmers and designers, and those who make decisions that affect QC....and whoever decided to sell a Stern for $10k-$15k. No hypocrisy at all.

You mean 10K like the TBL that you have on order that you'll probably never recieve from a company that is brand new in the business? You of all people should be ok with that seems like. Talking smack is talking smack, doesn't matter what the reason is. I talk smack about a certain company because their games are horrible imo, and you talk smack on Stern because their quality sucks. Those guys at Stern have been in the business for 30, 40, 50 years. They are why pinball is what it is and they are the same guys who are responsible for making it possible for us to be able to even buy a NIB pin today, but instead of support them you decide to trash them publicly. I'm actually ok with it though because it is what it is and they probably deserve some of the backlash they are getting, but YOU need to not be such a hypocrite about it.

#5736 7 years ago

Just because Stern kept things together during the lean years doesn't justify or warrant a pass for their behavior and actions in the past few years.
Stern should be setting the example of how to treat their customers and how to build QUALITY pins, not how to take advantage of their customers and cut corners to save money, especially after 30, 40, 50 years.

No argument here on that. The issue is someone telling me that I shouldn't be talking smack about a certain company and they are on here doing the same thing about another company.

#5737 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Not sure what sucks more
PF issues or the Bengals
JK who-dey. I'm just trying to break up the fight

I know PW its all good bro lol. I do know that you know better though about the Bengals. Now if you wanna say the Reds suck, then yeah....im in full agreement with you there! Who do you root for, the Seahags? Talk about a team that has a history of sucking!

#5742 7 years ago

Your comments about Spooky were a bit unwarranted IMO as well. Saying RZ or AMH suck is far different than saying Spooky sucks. Spooky as a company communicates with their customers and also takes input from them as well.
So as a company I think Spooky is setting a great example and I think Stern should take a page from there book and correct somethings ASAP.

And if you'll read through all my post, I corrected myself and said just that. Spooky is a good company as far as customer relations goes. Its kinda easy to do that also though when you are a small business, Stern is huge compared to them. Thats still no excuse though and its an area that Stern gets an F in from me. Just because the people at Joe's hamburgers are nice people doesn't mean their hamburgers dont suck. If you ate one of their nasty burgers, I bet you'd tell people that Joe's burgers sucks.

#5743 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

I think he got in at $8500

And the cheapest BM66 isnt 10K either now is it?

#5746 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You are the king of context, aren't you? Let me explain it for you:
1.) I paid $8500
2.) I paid in 2014 after playing a beautiful prototype that was leagues beyond anything Stern was offering in design, innovation, and quality.
3.) It's a NICHE theme of my favorite movie. Stern would have never made this game. I wanted a Lebowski game. Dutch made a Lebowski game. It's as simple as that.
4.) None of us saw the ARA/Dutch standoffs coming...so don't act as though the red flags were there and I was too stupid to see it.

I was supporting Sterns when you didn't know what pinball was! I was buying Iron Man when everyone was saying it was a piece of shit with no features, no rules, and Wal-Mart toys. I have 7 Stern games in my collection and have owned many others, which I still enjoy and will recommend to people. I have EVERY RIGHT to criticize their current problems, and have the experience in the hobby to back up my opinions. They're not infallible!!!

You need to look up the definition of the word "hypocrite". Do I say one thing and do another? No.

More BS from Rarehero! Ive been playing pinball for over 40 years DA! Just because I didn't start owning my own machines until a few years ago doesnt mean that I didnt know what pinball was until then. And yes you have the right to criticize anybody you want to and so do I. What you dont have the right to do though is be a hypocrite and tell me what to say, and when you do im going to call you on it! Oh yeah and please stop acting like you're the God of pinball, thats lame as F dude for real.

#5748 7 years ago

I actually think RZ is a great game, especially for the price, so I don't think "Joe's" Burgers suck. Haven't ever played a AMH so can't comment.

Oh yeah its great alright!
If that's all pinball had to offer I'd find a new hobby asap! That game is a turd dude!

#5749 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's been fun, but done arguing with you. Please add me to you ignore list so you don't have to see me anymore. If you respond to anything I post from now on, I won't see it. Bye!

Thank God! I got enough hypocrites in my life as it is, I certainly don't need anymore!

#5751 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

This surprises many but I dont follow sports at all
I dont even know the rules of football
So I root for anyone but those asshole Rams lol
I do like cheerleaders tho!

I dont follow sports nothing like I used to either. They're nothing bunch of overpaid babies anymore for the most part and its getting old.

#5755 7 years ago

Every person has their opinion and right to that. You think it is a turd, I have the same feeling about BM66 so there you go.

I dont own BM66 but I dont think its going to be great either, although I do love the theme. I do however think that BM66 or any other Stern game is way better than RZ. I just dont like their games. Its nothing personal, but I just dont like them and I know many people that share the same feelings that I do about them.

#5758 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Those that do own it know how good it is becoming. A few more code drops and let the universal praise begin.

I hope so O-din and you are probably right. I think I just wanted it to be more because I love the theme so much and it came out similar to the other BM game. I wanted something all new I guess. I don't think its a dog by any means and Lyman is going to make it alot better in time im sure. I feel like they rushed it a little though. I hope it turns out awesome though if for no other reason you and iceman alone, although it is fun to take a jab at iceman about it occasionally.

#5762 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There are still what.. eight? minor villain modes yet to be coded, and much more, but people that come over still can't stop playing it just the way it is. This is going to be one fully loaded coded game by the time it's done I can tell.

Its going to be an interesting jouney thats for sure. I hope they work hard on the code like they promised.

#5772 7 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

I got you all beat! I'm stuck with the Browns...........A WOZ and GB

Yeah you definitely have us beat if you're a Browns fan lol. Nothing wrong with WOZ and GB though. Its just your team that sux. If I wasnt a Bengals fan I'd maybe feel sorry for you.

#5773 7 years ago

As I know many that aren't fond of BM66.
You say it isn't personal but then you go on to say you know many people that share the same feelings. Why? You seem to be making it personal.

I just know alot of people who dont like their games and wouldn't buy one because they think that they make terrible games, thats all im saying. I dont know why anyone would really take that personal truthfully. Do you have any idea how many times that ive been told that GB and GOT sucks? That doesnt offend me one bit for people to say that. Everybody has different opinions on games. As long as I like them thats all that really matters right?

#5777 7 years ago

I am not offended by your comment, it just seems you are working pretty hard to make it personal, when you say it isn't, is all.

I think maybe you are just perceiving it that way. If I got mad at everyone on this forum that said GB and GOT sucks, I'd spend all of my time cussing people out on here.

#5779 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

I know everyone that comes over, loves RZ and AMH. As well as Met, BM66 and Woz. It's pinball no game sucks, some are just more/less appealing based on individual taste.

Just like my GB and GOT, if you enjoy them that's all that matters. Me and a friend played GB all night last nite and had a blast. I can't imagine anyone not liking GB but a lot of people hate it. It's ok though, it doesn't bother me at all honestly.

#5780 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

GB and GoT are both pretty great games.

Yeah I think so too. Everybody definitely wouldn't agree though, especially when it comes to GB and most people wouldn't own GOT just because they hate the art work. I don't like the artwork on the cab at all but I think the playfield looks good in person.

#5782 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

GoT plays so fast that I barely notice the art. It's not pretty, sure, but lots of great games aren't.

It definitely a great game for tournament play. It requires more skill than most machines if you want to score well on it. It will never leave my collection.

#5785 7 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

We (my wife included) love our WOZ and GB. Just wish GB had more color lighting and inserts. My 2013 Metallica is fine as well. When I lived in Centerville went to many Reds and Bengals games

Yeah that would be nice but the light show is still pretty good. I'm near Centerville also as you probably know. Where is Garrettsville located at? I've never heard of that town?

#5789 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

If Stern has fixed the issue and folk are getting replacements it's time to close the thread.

I don't think we have figured out if Stern is serious yet or not. It cant be closed until that question is answered.

#5799 7 years ago

Yes KPG is burned out a little due to all the sh*t he received from a few people I think but he will be back. He loves taking jabs at iceman too much not to come back.

#5805 7 years ago

I'm not sure why anyone would care if the thread stays open because all you have to do is drain the thread and you'll never have to see it again......or you could just not read anything that is in this thread. Pretty simple really.

#5810 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

If your playfield was going to ghost it would have done it by now. Ours started after 500 plays. We mylared the affected areas and the ghosting did not get any worse. We feel that the airball protector helped a fair bit. The airballs were constantly landing on the ghosted inserts. I feel that there is not build date issues, rather process issues (people mistakes) and that is why Stern cannot really pinpoint the date of manufacture. They must still have issues as I noticed ghosting on Aerosmith. The one they used for their video promotion! That to me is insane. I agree that the thread should stay open.

I don't think that putting Mylar over the ghosted areas is going to help because the problem is under the clearcoat where it's separating from the playfield. I do agree that leaving this thread open though is the right thing to do. It could actually be a good thing for Stern also if people see that they are replacing playfields for customers and if they start making playfields that are good quality again. Once people regain their faith in Stern their sales will definitely grow a lot.

#5814 7 years ago

We mylared at the same time that we fitted the airball protector so we are not sure what made the difference. The mylar definitely did not help the shooter lane.

Sometimes ghosting just doesn't get any worse after a little bit of it starts. So your shooter lane is trashed also? Sounds like you should get a replacement. One of the first things I did was turn down the trough eject power to the shooter lane. I don't see how any shooter lane could hold up as hard as the ball slams into it on GB.

#5817 7 years ago

Shooter lane is trashed. We have posted photos on this thread a few months ago. We have the eject power turned right down now. We are waiting for our replacement. It is due to arrive in the next few weeks. The replacement is not getting played until we fit the air ball protector, complete cliffy set and playfield protector. That is sad I know, especially since we do not play our machines much. Stern and our distro have always looked after us. Our playfield issues are different to most others. Our playfield clear has scratching underneath the clear coat. You cannot see it until the machine is turned on. We raised the issue with our distro the day we got the machine. All our other Sterns are and have been immaculate. We are a loyal Stern supporter.

I'm glad they are replacing your playfield for you...as they should. This one wil be good I bet.

#5821 7 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

The first thing one should do is get a shooter lane cliffy protector?

Yep that too.

#5837 7 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

It's all fun and games till it starts to chip away and effect ball play. That's my biggest concern. If it's starting to chip and ghost after less than 100 plays what's it going to look like down the road? I'm fine with cosmetic problems but a playfield is the foundation of a pin.

I think you are worrying a little too much honestly, but if it Ghost and chips again just raise hell with your distributor and get another playfield. I'm not saying I wouldn't be a little concerned maybe but it's not like all their playfields are just complete garbage. That is just simply not the case. Back when you got your GB, yes many of them were but I haven't heard of hardly any problems lately.

I also know that they have been sending some old playfields as replacements, but that doesn't mean they are bad. It's my guess that they think there won't be a problem with them. Calm down and enjoy your game, it's gonna be fine dude for real, and if it isn't I bet you will get another replacement.

#5839 7 years ago

lol I sure did!

#5841 7 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Nothing like getting advice from someone who has not had to go through the playfield replacement process.

Once again when Ghostbusters first came out there were ALOT of playfield issues, everybody knows that. Before Ghostbusters and a few months after Ghostbusters, the sky has not been falling like you are trying to act like it has. Are there still some issues? Yes there are and there always has been, even during the good old days when people thought there wasn't any. Could things be better? Yes things could probably be better. Are the playfields terrible right now? No they are not. You can keep acting like Stern playfields are pure sh*t all you want to, but it's just not true. There are many people enjoying their games right now.

#5848 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Who-Dey
Dude
Stern's very own in house produced promo video for Aerosmith has ghosted inserts
How can you defend that & say all is well when they cannot even find a good PF to film?

Im not defending anyone. Its just my belief That most of the games they are making now are good. The 3 games that I got are good and I have friends with new games that are good. I see other people on here who are getting new games that are good. Anyone who has a bad playfield will hopefully get them replaced. I dont know why people are upset because I have the opinion that quality is getting better since the ghostbusters release. Im not telling anyone that everything is great and that there are no problems, im just saying that I believe that if you buy a new game right now that chances are you're going to get a good playfield. Prove me wrong and lets lee how many bad playfields that you can come up with that were made lets say after November 2016. I know there are some but its nothing like the GB release days.

#5852 7 years ago
Quoted from Metengo:

Oh, that is looking very very damaged.
Will this also happen to AS?
I am searching for my next Pin and want one with the new Backboxfrom to put it next to GoT. Symmetrical look...
I thought Star Trek would be nice, but this is also a SR-Pin and i am not sure, if this decision will give me different playtimes.
So AS is on my radar, but when i see those pictures i am afraid of burning (in Germany, because Dollar is strong or Euro is weak..) a lot of money...

There is no way to know if this will happen to AS or any other pin for that matter but my guess is no. If I were you I would sit back and wait till people start buying them and see if they start having problems or not. I personally wouldn't be afraid to buy an AS right now if I wanted one but just give it a little time and see what is going on with them.

#5853 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm not too worried about the Stern playfields going forward. They took their lumps in 2016 for some mistakes, and I don't think they'll want to go through that again. 100% perfect yield is impossible, but they're surely going to be doing a better job now than in the past at weeding out those "seconds" from the assembly line. I do have concerns about overall build quality with the cost cutting, but that's probably more of an operator's concern than a home buyer's issue.
From people who have Aerosmith in their hands, they say that the clearcoat is noticeably improved over what Batman or Ghostbusters had. Hopefully future games on the line (even previously released games) all look as good.
While there's still good reason to be vigilant, I think that the panic stage is most likely over.

Oh boy, you are probably going to get slammed hard for this post and get called names and all sorts of things. You probably just lost all of your credibility because of this post. You must be a stern fanboy and in the stern army right?

#5855 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Who-Dey
Dude
Stern's very own in house produced promo video for Aerosmith has ghosted inserts
How can you defend that & say all is well when they cannot even find a good PF to film?

Ok theres one, I'll give you that one although if that playfield doesn't get any worse I personally could live with it. Remember, you're never going to see 100% perfect playfields ever but lets see what happens to AS from here out.

#5856 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm a four-star general in the Stern Army.

I would up vote that comment twice if I could!

#5868 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Will do
Right after Stern tempers their epic pricing on fully featured premiums.

Is coding really that terribly bad though? I know Batman is just God awful, but what else is? I was always under the impression that Kiss was a disaster but right now as we speak you got guys talking about how the Kiss code is pretty good and only need minor work done to it. What games other than BM66 are so bad? Im not saying there arent any, im just asking.

#5873 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Come now who-dey, you've been apart of our GOT kicks ass thread. The game is in dire need of bug fixes, sound queues, and polish. Yes, GOT needs code. Got code?
Aerosmith is bad but it's new so I give it a pass, and it is good for out of the gate code.....oh wait, given stern history and non-Lyman games not getting proper follow up code updates, you can probably go ahead and add Aerosmith to this list in a few months when it's still suffering.
I don't know enough about GB to comment, but it has good art so it must not need anymore code updates.
BM66.....good thing they overpriced these. I just hope Lyman nails it out of the park SOON.....so he can go work on something more meaningful.
Yea, stern code still suffers. Not much has changed from the day of $6200 premiums to $6800 premiums. But, they put out the best themes with the quickest turn around, so really - who needs code?

Yeah I know Eskaybee but I fall into that average or casual player group that Capguntrooper is talking about. I dont even come close to knowing and understanding the rules of these games like alot of you guys on here. I can't even wrap my head around some of the things that you guys talk about sometimes, its true and im not too embarrassed to admit it.

I just pick up bits and pieces from you guys and learn a little here and there, and sometimes you guys get so deep into the rules that it makes me scratch my head. Im ok with that though because that helps me enjoy my games longer, because im always learning. For me, GOT seems like it has great rules , because I just dont know it like you do and im obviously not as good of a player as you either. I havent even been to the Iron Throne yet on GOT, and I may never get there for all I know. I consider myself a decent player, but the iron throne isnt easy to achieve.

I think Capguntrooper nailed it. Most players just dont see these games in the same way as the really good players do. I learn alot from people like you on here for sure, but sometimes im kinda glad that I don't understand some of the things that you guys are taking about even if I am trying to reach that point. I love pinball and its my main hobby now, but i just havent studied the rule sets hard enough to put myself on that level yet. When i use to race cars, i was at that level because its all i thought about 24/7, but i just havent put myself there with pinball yet, even though i do love it alot. Anyway I'm rambling, not sure if any of that makes sense to you but I think it probably does.

1 month later
#5967 7 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

When did Stern stop including shaker motors in the LE's? I was really sitting on the fence about buying an AS LE (13K up here in the great white north). The distributor up here told me Stern doesn't include shakers anymore. WTF???? A pin that expensive and a shaker is not included.
I'm out!

Can't you make a road trip into the U.S. and save a few thousand? Is that illegal?

#5970 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No he'd have to declare it going over the border

What does that mean though? He's not allowed or he'd have to pay a big tax on it or what?

#5974 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

13% tax on full value after conversion to CAD from USD.

Quoted from Maken:

13% tax on full value after conversion to CAD from USD.

That sucks. Bastards find a way to get your money no matter what. Same way here in the U.S.

#5976 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

In the US it is actually easy to avoid taxes on NIB pins, you just buy from out of state. Up here, buying from other Provinces doesn't work, we still get charged full tax.

Maybe on that but they get you in many many other ways believe me

1 month later
#6001 6 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Well Stern sent me a signed borg met premium "translite" and Pat Powers personally sent me a hardcoat repair kit after speaking to his Q/A department. So six months of a non functioning NIB game to finally get a working drop mech and finally be officially told Stern is not replacing my playfield. I did enjoy my NIB for the one month it all worked correctly. My distro is taking the game back and I'm out $400 in shipping, but at least I believe my last Stern purchase is finally over. I'm not begging Stern for two years like I believe frax or someone else had too.

Sounds like a great distributor at least. If you ever get comfortable with Sterns quality again and buy a new game, I'd definitely go through the same distributor. It would be hard for me to buy another game though from a company that screwed me. If you get a playfield that chips, you should get a new playfield instead of a generic clear coat repair kit. That's definitely BS sounds like.

2 months later
#6109 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I have my popcorn ready for a particular persons response.

Yeah me too. I was going to say something but I'm kind of at a loss for words right now lol.

#6284 6 years ago

I think iceman has drank one too many tonight!

#6286 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Show some respect newb....iceman has never had only 1 too many!
But Ice is totally correct...we all know "pinball is hard" and all that shit but did every company just literally forget how to make a pinball machine?!?

I think the new clear coats they are using now is causing them problems. I just don't understand why it's so hit and miss on the quality. Why can't all playfields be like AS? Why have no walking deads ghosted or chipped? I think the worst is behind us but I do believe the new clear coats are not pin ball playfield friendly for some reason.

#6287 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Show some respect newb....iceman has never had only 1 too many!
But Ice is totally correct...we all know "pinball is hard" and all that shit but did every company just literally forget how to make a pinball machine?!?

No disrespect for iceman here. He's a good guy and an asset to this hobby. I wish everyone on here was as cool as iceman is!

#6289 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I gave you a thumbs up above and then you go a little to weird here man.

lol I like iceman. He's funny as hell and a good dude!

#6356 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

My apologies, then. Post retracted and deleted.
The problem on Pinside with sentences that barely make sense is that it's tough to tell if the person is from a different country, or just drunk or stupid.

Lol....drunk or stupid, that's epic boob!

2 weeks later
#6454 6 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

I wonder what would happen if you hit the playfield with a rubber mallet?

The clear coat would shatter into a million pieces and cut your face all up.

#6457 6 years ago

Elvira is my next game but if it is the next title out I wouldn't buy one. I would at least have to wait and see if the playfields was ghosting like the Star Wars games and if they were* no way.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious?tu=who-dey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.