Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparechange1974.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3029 7 years ago

I feel like I'm on to something after seeing pics, I think I may have this issue nailed down a bit besides just being a clear coat issue. As I've said in another thread, I know enough to be dangerous due to being in the body shop industry many years, but not enough to be the go to expert on pinball play fields.

Here's the interesting part. Notice the Clear Coat only seems to be an issue not adhering in two places.

1. Where there is no artwork and only wood
2. over the inserts
3. Does not seem to have that problem over the playfield art that i've seen.

I continue to think there is not enough flex additive being used(because of the cracking and flaking)but I suspect the culprit is a prepping problem before the clear coat is sprayed or change in cc or wood. Its not right for clear coat to crack or come off like a sheet of ice. When this happens on cars, it is an adhesion problem due to improper prepping(not sanding enough) or chemical reaction(oil or silicone on pre painted surface). Maybe its the wood, the prepping process or the clear coat(not sure if these things have changed), but for whatever reason it seems to be adhering on the play field artwork just fine.

If it were me, I'd be looking at the play field prepping process immediately before they are cleared specifically inserts and wood along with clear coat changes if the past few months.

I'm guessing the air balls have magnified(not caused) the the clear coat adherence issue on Ghostbusters. The toughest part about this issue is that you could catch some of the obvious ones, but others need to played and have the ball hit the cc (or not adhering area)before the it's really prevalent. This is a really bad deal for everyone involved. I've got one coming and I'm scared it will have this issue. Sorry you guys are going through this(this includes Stern as well). It's just a theory, so not sure if I'm off base here or not when it comes to wood play fields with clear coat on them as opposed to automobiles which are plastic and metal.

#3033 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Insert ghosting in box=not air balls

I believe the insert ghosting is in part a Clear coat adhesion problem or(specially clear coat not bonding on the inserts and wood surface). The problem exists before any airball ever hits and delamination(ghosting) might have already occurred on some games prior to playing(hence nib insert ghosting). When the air balls smack down on the clear coat area that is not bonded it makes the problem that already exists worse because the clear is not sticking or bonding to the surface below(think of a sheet of ice over water). That surface below the clear is flexing or vibrating and the clear coat is further separating(ghosting/flaking/chipping) because it has not properly bonded in the first place.

The air balls aren't the cause, they are just accelerating the issue that already exists of clear coat not bonding properly to wood or inserts(not play field art) in the first place. I don't think anyone has reported a chip in the clear that is on the play field art at this point even where air balls have landed and dimpled the play field. I believe this is because the clear coat is bonding to what ever material the play field art is made of. If the clear coat had bonded, especially when it new, I think it would have stayed with the insert even if sinking to a point.

They are lots of play field experts on here, I'm not one of them, but really wanted to share my theory. The quicker this issue is solved, the better for all of us.

1 month later
#4433 7 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Regarding the shooter lane...does anyone know if these (I bought both) will help prevent possible cracking/chipping on GB? Anyone try either?
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2120
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4130

I have the Pinguard for the left side of shooter lane and while I don't care for the adhesive backing, it works. I used a right side and rails protection from Cliffy's shooter lane kit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Delta, BC
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparechange1974.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious?tu=sparechange1974 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.