Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 600 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by capguntrooper
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 656 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_8151.JPG
IMG_1493.JPG
storage (resized).jpg
IMG_3408 (resized).JPG
IMG_3405 (resized).JPG
IMG_3404 (resized).JPG
IMG_3403 (resized).JPG
20170821_125227 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smokedog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#826 3 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

I love playing my two Stern machines, but they're are anything but commercial grade.

You should put some out on route, and let us know how they do.

Mine hold up extremely well, far better than any other companies 'commercial' machines.

1 month later
#1705 3 years ago

I'm unsure of the run dates on the 3 NiB Sterns I have purchased recently (GB Pro, GoT Pro, Met LED Pro). All have no issues with their play fields. In fact, the clear on the Met and GoT is some of the nicest I have seen.

Really seems like rolling the dice at this point on what you get.

#1708 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Too bad I'm not a gambler!

I'm not really a gambler either. I'm more of a pinball player who loves playing really fun machines. Luckily, the titles Stern has produced recently are the most fun I've had playing pinball in a long time.

3 weeks later
#3282 3 years ago

Work with your distributor, and if they are any good, Stern will take care of you. That's been my anecdotal experience with any issue I have ever had with Stern pins (and there have been a few). I've always been satisfied with their commitment on making it right for me.

#3285 3 years ago

Does anyone seriously believe Stern will do nothing to rectify the issues people are experiencing? Like, nothing at all, and just tell all these folks thanks for your cash, now go pound sand?

#3288 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I honestly felt Gary was being pretty sincere that they are setting up some type of program and way for their distributors and dealers to handle these inquiries. It made sense as there is a huge amount of cases for this, and they most likely can't handle case-by-case issues on their own right now

This is how they have dealt with every widespread issue ... work with your distributor, they work with Stern.

Quoted from kpg:

Honestly, I'm going to keep pressing them on this not for just the benefit of myself- but for the entire pinball community who has been affected.

Thanks for this. Though, I am pretty sure even if you didn't, Stern would make it right for those affected. Of course, as long as they are talking with their distributors.

Quoted from kpg:

I'm confident in a positive end result.

I have been from the start, though it appears I may be more patient than most.

#3289 3 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I believe it's a possibility and I sure hope that doesn't happen.

What evidence would you have to support this?

#3291 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I do think in the long run there is still room for some buyers to be left out. There will likely be a minimum threshold of damage for them to swap the pf. Some people inevitably will be below that standard and will think they deserve more.

Yup. Like any company would do, try to minimize the loss.

#3296 3 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

I have heard of people being told by their distributor that sterns reply is ghosting is "within normal range".

If one insert had a tiny bit of ghosting, and never got any worse, I wouldn't expect Stern to do anything for you.

#3318 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

It's all good, still fun.. just wouldn't keep pumping quarters into it- not a big deal in home only/free play use.

Doesn't seem to be stopping the flow into the cash box on location either.

#3491 3 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

If they want the customers PF first shouldn't Stern front the customer some money?

Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Fronting $5k for the playfield swap is absolute BS.

This would be a first for Stern to ask for a deposit up front. I've never heard of anyone having to do that. Before pinside gets the torches out, maybe find out if it's the distributor asking for it or Stern themselves (i.e. who are you making the cheque out to?) ... oh, wait, this is pinside, who got the torches out long ago ...

Oh, pinside!

#3497 3 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

This is an arrangement / phone call made with one pinsider , one, and imo it sucks , $5k dollar deposit, are you f'n kidding me .

Torches on sale!

Deal with the distributor, like every other issue from the past.

#3531 3 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Yeah 5k deposit is absurd should be a grand jeez this thread is very informative of how much Stern is sacking at this point in time

I would like a bunch of populated play fields for new games for $1000. Could you point out where to buy them? Thanks in advance.

That way, I can just keep my Pro on route, not send my old play field back, keep it in for 4 or 5 years, then when I sell the game put the new one in. Sounds like a great plan for me!

#3703 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Regarding "the program"
Contact your distributors and ask about Stern's playfield issue program.
If they claim to not know anything about it, tell them to contact Patrick Powers at Stern and get up to date on it.
If they act clueless or don't care, email Patrick.powers@sternpinball.com with your situation and as many detailed pictures as possible and be patient and you will get a response.
First and foremost bug your dealer about it as they have an obligation with Stern to facilitate claims for this.

This should be quoted for every page, just to make sure people read it before posting ... as it seems a lot of people just skip over relevant information in order to buy more torches ...

#3784 3 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Ghostbusters is an amazing game, please talk to us Stern.

Quoted from kpg:

Regarding "the program"
Contact your distributors and ask about Stern's playfield issue program.
If they claim to not know anything about it, tell them to contact Patrick Powers at Stern and get up to date on it.
If they act clueless or don't care, email Patrick.powers@sternpinball.com with your situation and as many detailed pictures as possible and be patient and you will get a response.
First and foremost bug your dealer about it as they have an obligation with Stern to facilitate claims for this.

Just making sure it gets read ...

#3797 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Why not give people confidence they are working on the issue and will take care of the problems as they arise?
Secretive case by case dealings in a small knit pinball community on such a widespread issue doesn't seem to make much sense but oh well.

Is it secretive though? Call your distributor, they will raise the issue with Stern. Same system they have used for any issue. Be patient, and they will take care of it.

They certainly didn't announce a recall on the XMen LE Aux boards, which was fairly wide spread. I just called my distributor, and got a new one (though it took 3 to finally get one that worked!).

#3996 3 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Pretty sure we won't see any actual release from Stern regarding "The Program" tho.

I think that's why, for, I dont know, about the hundredth time, call your distributor. Ask the questions. Get an answer. If they don't answer, don't know and refuse to follow up with Stern, find a new distributor. Many in this thread have done just that, and gotten answers, including myself.

It's a pretty simple really. I'm not sure where all the confusion comes in.

#3999 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

What sickens me is the complete lack of communication from stern... As far as I know, this so-called program is still just rumours...
And yes, for me it's much more difficult to get support for any after-sales issue... The sole distributor for South America is located in Chile

Have you reached out to him to get specifics?

#4043 3 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

I have purchased 3 NIB Stern last year. A TWD pro, Kiss Le and GOT LE and anyone who has read my threads knows the insane amount of issues right out of box I have had to endure.

As a counter point, I have bought 4 NiB Stern's this year, including GB. No issues out of box, on location the day of the unboxing earning dollars (after the appropriate protections installed). My GB Pro has slight ghosting on 2 inserts. I am on a 'list' with my distributor. I have no worries that they and Stern will make sure I am a satisfied customer based on past experience.

It seems like Sterns extremely short Warranty covers their arses enough to get over on these clear issues as they will no doubt arise shortly after warranties start ending.

Stern has covered many things out of warranty, sometimes even on second and third owner games.

My hats off too all you pinside members who have bought NIB from Stern and have wasted countless hours and days getting multiple warranty work done on something that should have been obviously caught in house at Stern. Best of luck to all those buying NIB from Stern.

I've certainly wasted countless minutes getting the legs on and putting new balls in. I hope you have better luck in the future. Stay safe!

#4044 3 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Herein lies the problem folks. This isn't Stern standing by their product. This is having a good distro. I'm glad it worked out and thank you for sharing your story but Stern did nothing in this scenario. The distro took back the GB, sold it to an operator and got a new GB for RipelYYY.
Do the math here. Stern did shit but got two sales. Wow...

No way did the distributor eat the multi thousand cost of a pin. Not a chance.

#4046 3 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

He sold it at a discount which probably means he ate a $1000-$1500 max.

I would think Stern sold him the replacement machine at a discounted rate as opposed to that.

#4053 3 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Think what you want, but I have the same distributor as Ripleyyy does and I can tell you that they are very good to deal with. They informed me also before I got my LE that there is a chance that there would be a problem with the playfield and offered me the chance to cancel the order. If I would go ahead with the order and a problem would arise, they would do everything in their power to get a satisfactory solution.

I'm not sure what you are insinuating with this post. I don't disagree with anything Ripleyyy stated.

His distributor and Stern made sure he was satisfied. And it sounds like he is.

#4057 3 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

what did Stern do in his situation ?

Sold a new pin to the distributor at a reduced cost to replace the damaged one, so he isn't out thousands when he replaced Ripleyyy's machine.

As a business, you wouldn't have any distributors if you made them eat the cost of your (or your suppliers) mistakes.

I have a Pro with ghosting. I am on a 'list' with my distributor. I'm pretty confident my distributor and Stern will make sure I am satisfied.

The hearsay and speculation in this thread about how terrible Stern is with replacing damaged goods is laughable, since all evidence from previous miss steps says otherwise.

Oh, Pinside!

#4060 3 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Talk about hearsay...
Nowhere in RipleYYY's reply did he mention Stern stepped up. He said his distro took care of him. You took it upon yourself to make assumptions and then present it as if Stern took care of him...

I'm basing my assumption on the many times Stern (and their distributor network) has stepped up in the past, and is currently doing so for their customers.

Could you find me some examples of Stern screwing their distributors? You must have many examples to come to that conclusion.

#4062 3 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Ghostbusters, SMVE, and the various other affected games this year would seem like a pretty relevant example

So Stern does not have a program set up in conjunction with their distributors to replace said play fields for end customers.

Seems legit. I'm glad you cleared everything up.

#4065 3 years ago

So no examples of Stern screwing their distributors over. Thought so.

Quoted from rubberducks:

Absolutely not, as this now 82 page thread would tend to suggest.
Until Stern promise publicly to replace all of the effected Pro, Premium, LE and VE machines or populated PFs with the problems, there isn't one. They haven't, and I don't expect them to.
What we've heard so far is that they intend to do it for GB LEs and then try to skip over the rest ... and their ETA even for that is 4 months hence.

So, when people get their play fields replaced, they actually won't be? I'm not part of the program like my distributor told me and many others in this thread?

Cool.

Let me know what your distributor tells you to fix your game.

#4070 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Sort of like no examples from you of Stern stepping up to the plate.

Let's see. Personally?

- Met Pro play field no cost to replace poor clear (first run). No swap, just a spare play field.
- kiss head decals due to peeling
- 3 xmen LE aux boards
- 2 roll over switch boards for TWD
- new dmd due to solid lines in acdc Pre
- and now in on the GB program for my Pro

They have fixed every issue I have had with their pins since I first started buying them.

#4074 3 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I find it comical that you are demanding proof from those that are questioning your obvious speculation. What proof do you have in this particular situation or are we all to take your speculation as gospel?

I guess we can just wait and see what happens. You believe Stern will screw their distributors and customers, I believe they won't.

I'll admit I was wrong if that happens. Will you?

Quoted from extraballingtmc:

It seems most of the noise is coming from people who don't even own a ghosted machine. I guess they just love drama.

No doubt.

3 weeks later
#4369 3 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

So... Evidence, or just more name calling and insults?

Well, this is pinside ... I know which I would put money on.

2 weeks later
#4662 3 years ago
Quoted from mickthepin:

I will say this, if you stay on the same path you are doomed.

The path of selling more machines in the last 2 years than all other manufacturers have in the past 5 years combined?

A hard road to travel indeed.

Quoted from mickthepin:

AC/DC is probably the most complete stern game in resent years. In fact some would argue, it has been the single game that has rescued them up from what would otherwise have been obscurity

Tron
Metallica
Walking Dead
... all seem pretty complete to me.

9 months later
#6164 2 years ago
Quoted from rogerroger:

I would love to buy a GBLE or a SMVE, but I don't want to pull the trigger on a half assed game.

Hasn't the code been finished on SM for like 7 years? What do you feel is missing?

#6343 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I own TWD, GOTLE, LOTR, IMVE, and TFLE. Zero ghosting. Ghosting is not normal. Every single SW pro I've seen on location has had noticeable ghosting.

One week, 500 plays, one tiny sliver on one of the Roman numerals. Will keep an eye on it.

Hasn't affected earnings one bit.

#6409 2 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Can anyone with a SW Pro confirm if it has that "cheap" feel to it like BM66 does?

Well, it did before I installed 3 of my colour changing LED Cindercrete block mods (TM, $69 each. Pre-order now!). Beefed that baby right up. Try and death save on it now and you'll snap your wrists.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 25.00
Apparel - Women
The Flipper Room
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smokedog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside