Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1317 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Just wondering if it was to save money or if they had a falling out with the old supplier.

Chatter says both, but I don't think we've heard anything definitive.

#1321 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Not sure it's a problem of cost... although; Normally I'd agree with this statement.
I feel like the original vendor either quit the business (not likely); or they can't keep up with the demand. IE Stern expansion, maybe Spooky and JJP use the same company? And/or maybe the original vendor went into an auxiliary market to keep the doors open and they can't supply the new numbers of PFs for Stern.
I also seriously wonder if part of the problem might be a forced government oversight for ClearCoat. IE Environmental and/or OSHA regulation. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a forced formula change to meet some new regulation; you know like they did for spray paint a few years ago.

JJP use Mirco in Germany, so no. Hence why their pfs look so much better ... and have the thick, shiny, durable automotive clear.

Before anyone pipes up about the early defective WOZ pfs, thoee weren't Mirco, they were a US supplier.

#1333 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I got a Mirco TZ playfield, it has 2 big globs of clear on the playfield in areas of active play. Not impressed

Either send it back or request a discount and get those areas professionally sanded back.

The WOZ and Funhouse pfs I have are flawless, and look immeasurably better than any Stern pf that I've ever seen.

1 week later
#1360 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Well the fact that my GB Pro is still on order and that he's read my request, I'm under the impression that he's good to go.

You just said you wanted it in writing .. now "he's read the request" is good enough? That seems foolish. If it's not in writing, don't count on it.

1 month later
#3885 7 years ago
Quoted from ngoett:

I finally got around to looking at our games on location just to see what they looked like. I am not complaining about the ghosting just pointing it out. First is our Kiss Pro (900 plays), only has the lock insert ghosting. Second is our GoTLE (900 plays), middle inserts are not ghosting at all but have 2 of the battering ram inserts ghosted and clearcoat is cracked. But also today I had to set up a new Star Trek Premium for a customer (August build date) and first thing I noticed was playfield color differences from the Star Trek Pro and STLE that we have in the shop. These are in the exact same lighting so its not the camera making them look different. Can easily tell that it is a different playfield manufacturer (shooter lanes have different style wood grains also). Hope that these games dont have the same ghosting problems but only time will tell.

That's absolutely dreadful. I haven't seen an ST from the runs done this year, but my ST Premium (December 2013 assembly date) has the same colouration and saturation as the left hand one. Also zero ghosting or clear chipping. Bought HUO from another pinsider, based in the US, with a Transatlantic journey to boot.

Aside from lower cost (even after packing, transport and tax paid upon entry to the UK), my main reason for not buying a new one was that I was very wary of more recent builds ('15 and early '16) ... and this was before the tidal wave of playfield issues and change in supplier.

If those photos are truly representative of what this year's run look like ... then bloody hell.

Is anyone still in any doubt as to whether this was all down to saving (large sums of) money, or just some unfortunate production issues? Clue - it's not the latter.

#3888 7 years ago
Quoted from Sarge:

Less than 1,000 plays in and its falling apart at the seams...

The lone '16 production date and title Stern I've seen, a GB Pro, was pretty alarming to me (and cabinet looked like yours). Might as well have been made from balsa wood. To boot, looks like some real care and craftsmanship went into that welding ...

#3894 7 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

I for one will likely not purchase another Stern moving forward. QC issues not being addressed, lack of communication to my distributor with no answers to the issues being addressed as to what their going to do to fix the problem. I've yet to receive my GBLE, and super concerned but will not be surprised if has issues. Having a "fix" worked out would put my mind at ease...but it's not and I'm pissed.
I'm all about equal entitlement with fair business practices to those especially when having distributors/partners help a business thrive. Hell, I was a business owner myself once and valued my partnerships who helped sell my business to build up my clientele. To hear that Stern singly cherry picked which distributors would be entitled to sell Batman is f$@&en bad business! Yes, you could argue and say it's Stern's business and they can do what they want. Flip side, you f$&@ed over distributors that for a decade have helped you grow your business to where it is today only to force their regular customers to search for another distributor that you allocated games too. WTF!!! The distributor not only gets f$&@ed making money selling games but they are also loosing clients over it. Is this how you say thanks Stern?? Sit in a room and meet for a day and get your shit together. Make things right for your customers, with your distributors. Claim the #1 spot in pinball but do it right...for F$&@-sake!

In my view Stern looks like a company that's fattening up its books for a sale somewhere in the not too distant future. The cost cutting, price gouging and increasing quality deficit relative to the competition make little sense given how extreme they seem to have become, and certainly aren't sustainable. Only way it makes sense is to maximise profit in very near term, ripening it for a larger sale price.

#3897 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Not sure who would buy a pinball company... but you can bet that someone's bonus-pay compensation plan is behind a lot of these short-sighted decisions.

Profit margins were already very high before the latest 'economisation' at Stern. The private equity people who rescued the company in 2008 may want out ... and they might be sensible to given the rising competition and seeming bubble. Certainly they'd be well advised to sell before the chickens come home to roost, vis a vis the firm's reputation for (poor) quality.

Anyway, to answer your question, plenty of people if there's money to be made.

#3903 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Just to update i was wrong about the cracking in the pops turned out to be some thin plastic, picture is below, however i did notice that i have something going on around a post in the pops not really sure if its clear coat almost looks like paper in the clear coat with mylar over it but it is raised Also have a hairline ghost on tobins and marshmallow man that have been there for a few days and not gotten worse dont have a picture on marshmallow couldn't get it to should up on camera but its just very tiny.

Did you feel that area by the pops? It looks there's a deep divot out of the PF ...

#4054 7 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

guys,
well, again, here in europe, we have some more "warranty facilities"
first of all, i think its not good to talk too much here in public
in the same idea, if you want something (to move), you have to do it by yourself, not just posting here & there and waiting its falling from the sky...
in my case, i got ghosting on my pro, (after seing few things here) bad clearcoat, it was "marked" in the shooterlane since day one (at the end of the day after playing, not out of the box), and the node 9 also goes dead after a while :/
than have talks with my distro, at the begining all goes the same as read here, supposing (?) it was a small prob, and waiting for STERN to move
my distro exposed his points of view, i exposed mine, we we're not agree but talks remain polite & correct...
and finally, starting from something i was not agreeing, i got : or a 1 VS 1 swap with a new GB, or a full refund
i've gone for another GB
now, this is MY personal story, not something heard somewhere from somebody...
than, i dont know how this could go for each of us, i dont know how others distros will react, and i even more dont know how my distro will react if in X time the 2nd GB is getting inserts/clearcoat probs again !?
for now, my distro lose his money commission on mine GB (which was resold lower to an operator who didnt care of ghosting)
but in the other way, he makes me happy & satisfied, and than keep a futur customer on his side...
end of story (for now)...

It's good that your distributor took care of you .... even if they are legally obliged, they could have drawn it out and made it very difficult.

But on the other hand, this is completely fucked. Stern are hanging their distributors / resellers out to dry ....

On a personal note, aside from not wanting to buy machines with a bunch of issues, made on the cheap, for an inflated price, I don't want to buy a brand which treats their network of sellers like dirt.

@kapsreiter ... if Stern are saying LEs (and only LEs) by January '17, that means they'll drag it on further, almost certainly. Once people have waited that long, most will feel too defeated if further delays are inflicted. Eventually a good number will give up. Also farcical that they're trying to get away with only replacing LE pfs and not Pro or Premium.

#4059 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Talk about hearsay...
Nowhere in RipleYYY's reply did he mention Stern stepped up. He said his distro took care of him. You took it upon yourself to make assumptions and then present it as if Stern took care of him...

Indeed, quite the contrary.

A few (handful) of people in Canada and the US are saying positive things.

From EU, the little we have heard has been awful, and otherwise silence, with Stern stone walling for months now.

Australia I don't think there's been any news either.

#4061 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Could you find me some examples of Stern screwing their distributors? You must have many examples to come to that conclusion.

Ghostbusters, SMVE, and the various other affected games this year would seem like a pretty relevant example ...

They refused to even reply to most resellers and some distributors for months and months, and now the only solid info we have is that they intend to replace LE playfields from January next year (maybe).

#4064 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

So Stern does not have a program set up in conjunction with their distributors to replace said play fields for end customers.
Seems legit. I'm glad you cleared everything up.

Absolutely not, as this now 82 page thread would tend to suggest.

Until Stern promise publicly to replace all of the effected Pro, Premium, LE and VE machines or populated PFs with the problems, there isn't one. They haven't, and I don't expect them to.

What we've heard so far is that they intend to do it for GB LEs and then try to skip over the rest ... and their ETA even for that is 4 months hence.

#4069 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

rubberducks,
have you talked to your supplier or distro in the UK?
got a batman LE and GB Premium on order.
My GB is due to arrive at the end of the month and if its got these issues it'll be going right back for refund until its clear that these issues are resolved.
Neil.

I don't have one. I just find it extraordinary that people are giving Stern a pass on this when they're clearly trying to sweep this appalling saga under the rug. They shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. Were this one of the new upstarts in the industry, some on Pinside would likely be waging a concerted campaign to have the staff / management lynched.

I did potentially dodge a bullet though in March / April. I wanted an ST Premium, but decided to buy a HUO older build date one instead, as I didn't trust even '15 build Sterns to not have significant issues, and knew their construction had been cheapened ... and this was before the chickens came home to roost, so to speak.

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

can you imagine trying to ship a play field from Europe or Australia back to the US?
it will be a nightmare, not to mention duties in both direction.
Neil

There's no way in hell they'll do that. Though duties (as they're replacement parts) should be waived.

They could ship dozens (if not hundreds) of built up, boxed PFs over in containers with new games. But it simply wouldn't be worth shipping the old ones back. They'd need to write them off ... which I'm doubtful they'd do.

Most likely it will fall to distributors / resellers to rebuild PFs. Even in Europe, as opposed to UK/AU, there are relatively few people that do this on a professional basis, and those that do charge (rightly) large sums to do it given how time consuming it is on relatively complex modern games. Are Stern going to pick up that bill? Doubtful.

This is likely why they're trying to get away with just replacing GB LEs.

#4167 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

that great distributor must be Ripleys one. he took the machine back and gave him another one. and i think he had an option of a full refund. !!....
Definately something, that a distributor would not normally do.

EU law dictates that they're obligated to repair or replace faulty consumer goods, which ALL pinball machines sold to private individuals are.

People here aren't going to wait forever for Stern to pull their fingers out ... in the mean time distributors and retailers are pretty screwed.

#4231 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

same with the pro I play locally here, its perfect and is on location and gets an absolute hammering and it looks brand new. Clearly something happened after production the first run production started.

If you're talking about the one at Chief Coffee, you haven't looked very closely ... there are chunks of clear gone, clear is cracked around a couple of inserts (and they're lifting a little), and the saucer on the right is already really beaten up. Shooter lane damage too.

That's about 2 months of play. Albeit in a coffee shop .. but when I was there recently the other games were very busy, and I was the only person that played GB in an hour or so (3 games). Everyone was stuck to Hobbit, WOZ, MM & CV (ST had been sold and switched off).

That's clearly not the kind of terrible wear others are seeing, but it's very bad for a 2 month old game that realistically can't have seen more than 1500 plays, and average ball times are probably extremely short.

#4235 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Hmm that must have happened fairly recently - I spent a great deal of time examining the machine and I looked fine I think I took pictures so will have a look - heading there on Sunday so will take another look. Very disappointing.

Aside from the saucer, where the wear is very obvious just from a glance, when I was looking closely, I was surprised to see no ghosting ... but then I saw 2 or 3 inserts with the clear cracked all the way round, and looking like they were lifting - that's really bad. Also, towards the edges of the pf, there are several chips of clear gone. Shooter lane looks like it's wearing too. The clear, whilst being glossier and thicker than Stern PFs have been recently, does not look like it's of a uniform thickness. It looks 'blobby'.

Speaking of the shooter lane, it's very obvious, as other people have commented on, that the playfield supplier and specification have changed (cheapened). The look of the wood is totally different. It's very coarse and streaks of sapwood are much darker. It appears to be of a much cheaper, lower grade. I'd also put money on it being significantly softer (hence all the stories of warping).

#4257 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I am betting most of your problem lies with the distributor, rather than Stern.

Let me stop you there.

If Stern were being forthcoming and had made clear that they would look after the resellers and distributors overseas and in a timely fashion, who are compelled by law to look after their customers with defective product (unlike the US), then I see no reason why some of them would be difficult or try to make the problem go away. On the contrary, this would be a good opportunity to win the trust of their customers and show good service.

But Stern are categorically not doing anything of the sort.

#4260 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Update on the program-
Revenue taken from pre-orders of future as yet unreleased games will help cover costs of filling orders and fixing current released games and each future release thereafter will be priced accordingly.

This sounds like something from Monty Python or Fawlty Towers.

If serious, no wonder they're saying nothing.

#4281 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

This is not my GB although mine does have issues this the GB PRO at Start Bar in downtown St louis, place has only been open a couple months and there machines are getting filthy but don't think this is normal wear.

The one I've played in London had much worse saucer wear than that. In 6 months it will probably look worse than the T-Rex saucer on my JP that has probably had 200K or more plays.

1 week later
#4291 7 years ago

They'll continue to wall and stall until such time as lawsuits come tumbling in, and then they'll keep doing until they think it's no longer in their interests.

They haven't gone this long without addressing it for no reason. It's now 6 months since the first (large clusters) of reports came in. Soon it will be 12 months ...

#4294 7 years ago

I don't think they will at all. Hence why Stern won't look after people. The cheapening is to increase margins. Replacing stuff (with higher quality product) would lower them again. Though given the scope of the problem, I'd be surprised if nobody in the US initiates a lawsuit.

Outside the US, it's very different. In the EU the sellers are legally obligated to fully repair, replace or refund the owners at no cost to them, given that the goods are demonstrably faulty. If this drags on, some who want resolution will force the resellers' / distributors' hands. At that point, if Stern still won't budge, it'll be the latter that take them to court. Some will be forced to, as they won't be able to sustain the losses incurred due to Stern's inaction.

#4326 7 years ago

Not only have they not 'fixed' anything, but there's still no confirmation of any 'programme' to look after people with completely borked pfs.

IF (big if) it all gets dealt with, re-place the order in future.

Why take the risk? Especially when you may find that after Expo you'd rather buy something else, anyway.

#4333 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I'll state it again: Playfield problems are solved.
Officially we have to wait for a few weeks/months before everyone is going to agree, but new Premiums are being received without complaints.
To each their own; if you feel better waiting, there's nothing wrong with that strategy.

Nonsense.

Vast majority of machines shipped previously arrived fine, but within hours, days, weeks or months they were a mess.

#4351 7 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

I will be waiting for over a year to buy another Stern to make sure their "NEW" clear process has been resolved

A new clear process isn't going to fix the issue. May help, but certainly won't fix.

The wood is too young, too soft, too coarse, and ultimately too prone to warping.

#4408 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

ZERO the PF`s will be changed in January 2017 its the plan from stern

Was that not supposedly just LEs ...?

#4418 7 years ago

It isn't fixed, and is unlikely to be.

It would require going back to paying much more for their pfs, which they absolutely won't. They took an axe to the largest cost of the machine, and aren't going to do an about turn.

I'm sure they're seeking ways and means of minimising the fallout of their decision ... but back to a higher grade of wood? Pull the other one. They may give a few days extra to let adhesives and clear settle, but not weeks and weeks, and the underlying issue will always remain with the wood they use. May be enough to stop most of the issues in the first hours, days and weeks, but I'd bet money on any 'fixed' pfs developing exactly the same issues in months or years, because the wood is too unstable.

#4438 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

You have made a couple references to Stern using cheaper wood. What is this based on?

It's based on them using cheap unaged wood ... it's in plain sight.

Even if you choose to ignore the clearly younger, lower grade of wood, what do you think is causing the warping and movement? It's not changes in lunar / solar cycle, I can tell you that much.

#4439 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

He doesn't know, he's talking out of his Azz

Yes I do know.

Evidently you seem to think you know otherwise, as to the cause of the problems ... I'm sure everyone would be very grateful to be enlightened.

#4441 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Yeah I could see that being the issue for sure. Is it? Who knows, apparently not even Stern.

It is known ....

#4452 7 years ago

I think they've used a mix of maple and birch for some time.

The GB lane pictured looks like very, very young wood to me, though IMO it looks better than 2 GB Pros I've seen which had crazily soft, rough looking sapwood in the shooter lane (both losing clear).

#4464 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

It's common knowledge that younger wood is softer. The theory makes sense to me. I'd love to hear Kruzman's or Krueger's take on this theory.

It's not just that it's softer, per se (i.e. lower index of hardness), but it's way more prone to movement and warping.

#4481 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I DO NOT KNOW the cause of the problems. YOU are the one that says that you KNOW that Stern is using cheap wood, so please tell us all how you know this. You act like you have some kind of inside info but you wont reveal your source or your proof. You dont know anymore than the rest of us know. We dont know what's causing the problems, we dont know if its even a big problem. For all we know 5 percent of the playfields could be bad or it could be 100 percent, which I doubt that is the case. If they're using cheap wood as you suggest, then all of the playfields should be bad and that is not the case.
I have a new GOT Pro with a june playfield date and so far there are no issues and it looks fantastic. I'm definitely concerned about it but so for so good, time will tell I guess. There is a GB Pro at the local barcade with a ton of plays on it and the playfield looks fine, so obviously ALL of the playfields using this "cheap wood" arent going bad.

The evidence is in plain sight as I've already stated. Why do you choose to ignore it?

1 week later
#4604 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

what should Gary tell
we tried to rip of the people again and wanted to save 5$ per game
but now have this problems?

I think it's probably more like $50+ than $5 .. compared with the Churchill ones.

#4613 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

The date is important.

Quoted from golfingdad1:

Actually it is ...
Please share

It isn't ... we established long ago that these aren't errant batches. It's a systematic problem ... and as he correctly states, nothing's fixed.

#4627 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

only a sticker with the serialnumber
and something what i cannot read with a pen

They've probably stopped adding production dates, for obvious reasons ... they will continue using faulty stock long after it is 'fixed' (if it is).

1 week later
#4721 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

The person who told me this has been to Churchill recently and seen the GB playfields in production, this person is well connected and I trust them 100%

If true that must have involved some massive humble pie, and probably giving Churchill a better deal than they had in the first place.

I assume cabinets aren't being switched back to them? Not that it would matter as those were super cheap before the switch.

#4756 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

FWIW I heard they never changed suppliers when I was out at Expo. The story I heard was that Churchill lost their 40 year vet playfield guy, and that was the source of problems. Who knows. Pinball people gossip like crazy.
I don't think anyone here actually knows shit, just lots of rumors being repeated. My story is as good as yours, meaning not really worth a damn.
Hopefully they fix it, sucks for anyone who gets screwed. But why not just wait until Stern stops playing the stupid lalalala silence game and announces they've fixed it? Why roll the dice? Do you really need a game that fast?
Rarehero looks like the smart dude here, even if that second waffle was pretty questionable looking.

I'm pretty sure they had a major falling out with them (probably over pricing) and they were on their way to totally phasing out the use of Churchill pfs ... the bulk of new pfs are definitely not theirs.

Losing an engineer of 40 years in a company that size and responsible for that kind of production isn't going to result in this. The rumour sounds totally spurious, or perhaps started by Sternistas to deflect.

I hope it is true that they're reverting (wholly) to Churchill ... but let's not pretend that their offering (commissioned by Stern) hadn't gone majorly downhill in recent years.

If we're lucky, Stern feel that the fallout from this has been so damaging that they're prepared to pay a bit more for a better quality pf, better than before the switch ... but I really doubt it.

#4759 7 years ago
Quoted from FreeBee:

Playfield problems aside, our LE GB has some hardware that already looks very rusted. Came right out of the box like that. Seen it at other Sterns as well. Seriously? Both hinge bolts, both gate flaps, and there is a single washer on the left sling that is brown and corroded.
Not a single game played, first we'll install a playfield protector and the anti-bounce cover in the lower area.
All this aside, the game is looking very well.

What in the actual fuck ....

How is that even possible? Especially the one on the pf. Where are you based? Was it shipped by container and then potentially impounded at a customs clearing warehouse for an extended period? Regardless, still shouldn't happen.

They must be using some super-duper cheap chinese steel ... looks like it's been given repeated salt water baths.

#4783 7 years ago
Quoted from tpoeckh:

A pinball cannot dimple the playfield with the protector installed, the makrolon is too hard and distributes the pressure from the impacts. That is why it is surprising even with the pressure distribution of the protector, the inserts look like that.

It isn't surprising at all, and a makrolon protector will have close to no effect on preventing inserts rising or sinking. Once they've dropped or risen so far that chipping becomes an issue, it will help stop them getting totally smashed.

The inserts are sinking or popping up because the wood is too young and too soft. It's moving and warping, hence all the inserts (particularly triangular ones) ghosting. Plus they probably don't allow adequate time for the adhesives to settle properly before the pfs are transported or machines undergo final assembly, and become subject to vibrations and loads.

#4785 7 years ago
Quoted from tpoeckh:

I've never seen it confirmed that the issue is due to the playfield manufacturer using wood that is too young and soft. Some have also speculated that the clearcoat may not have had proper time to cure, etc.. Nothing I've seen has confirmed why the ghosting occurs, so this is just speculation on your part.

No it is not speculation.

This is why inserts rise or fall. The 'ghosting' you see is due to an initial and small rise or drop of the plastic insert in its hole. This typically gets worse over time, until such time as there is a pronounced lip which will then get smashed to pieces by the ball.

The clearcoat itself is obviously less than ideal given that bits of it fall off and chip so quickly, but that's probably at least in part due to the wood moving as much as it does. But the clear is not the cause of 'ghosting' ... the whole insert falling into or being pushed out of the playfield is what you are seeing.

#4787 7 years ago
Quoted from tpoeckh:

When no one, including Stern (officially) has revealed the exact cause of the issue with the new playfields, I'm going to take your "expert" opinion with a grain of salt. Just hoping the issue is finally resolved with the machines in production now as my Ghostbusters Premium ships Friday.

I'm not sure if you're trolling or actually serious. Stern will never say what happened, at least not with any element of truth.

I'll explain very simply:

1) You are seeing 'ghosting'.
2) What is ghosting? The insert is either rising or falling in its insert (usually rising out of), applying pressure to the layer of clearcoat over it and turning it opaque in the process.
3) But why doesn't the whole insert go opaque? Because as the insert rises or falls, the clear in the middle of the insert and the clear on the playfield around the insert don't have additional pressure placed on them. Around the edge of the insert is where the force is exerted on the layer of clear.
4) So why does this happen? For the insert to rise up out of or drop down into the playfield, the playfield must be moving, warping and expanding and contracting. Usually if it happens at all on playfields it's due to many years of often hard use, the adhesives eventually breaking down that hold the insert in place, and storage in poor conditions. The triangular inserts having more issues or going first is due to 'pinching'.
5) So why is it happening so quickly? Most games are coming out of their boxes fine (a few exceptions). If the adhesive used to hold the insert in place was seriously faulty or not set, then more games would be coming straight out of the box with ghosted inserts, as the constant vibration during transport would make everything ghost. Most of the ghosting is occurring after the game has been set up, and within hours and sometimes minutes of play beginning. During the normal course of play, there will be larger forces placed on the playfield by the player moving the game, coils and mechs firing etc etc than during transport or assembly. This will cause some movement in the wood. Historically this has not been a major issue, as the wood is old enough and hard enough that it doesn't move and warp enough to cause immediate ghosting (and then serious playfield and insert damage) within the space of a minute percentage of the game's expected life. As the wood is very soft and very young, we see the recent problems with Stern.
6) So why are they doing this? One can only speculate, but softer younger wood is cheaper wood ...

Any questions?

#4814 7 years ago
Quoted from Bing_Party:

so i get mine next week, does this me i get the churchill playfield? Things got me nervous but i am also convinced these issues are a small percentage of production. My disti said its about 1 in 50 that they get a call in about the new playfield and i trust what they say.

They're likely to exhaust existing supply of 'Fun' pfs, and there's also no information yet that Stern will return to using Churchill exclusively.

I would wait. There's absolutely no reason not to.

#4815 7 years ago
Quoted from nowakster:

I doubt they would knowingly use bad playfields.

They've been doing exactly that for pretty much 9 months, since the first wave of badly effected SMVEs shipped.

#4824 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

yeah but to be fair they are probably trying to manage some sort of re-compense from the manufacturer thats cocked this up...

I'm pretty sure they got exactly what they paid for ...

#4840 7 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

I believe that you can see it in the color. If the overalls are greenish it is a good playfield, if they are more brown/beige, they are the bad ones. I have compared two GBLE's next to eachother and the difference was very clear. But this is only comparing one machine to one other, cannot speak for every playfield out there. Also the colors of the bad playfield looked more washed out.
I could not see any clear marks on the sides of the playfields which identify them.. Maybe someone has more info but this is what I know.

There are some really bad printing errors, so it could be variance within batches from the same manufacturer. Unless one has Churchill's markings on it, and the other no identifying marks, I wouldn't take that to mean different OEMs or that one is Churchill.

#4874 7 years ago

Everything as far as I know ... some of the recent run of STs look horrendous.

1 person has posted about how bad the colours are, another the alignment of the printing layers was totally off so it has a '3D effect'. I'm sure they're not the only two.

#4901 7 years ago

-

#4927 7 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Per Pat at Stern- playfield issues have been resolved. The GB they are running this week and next week have "the latest and greatest" playfield in them. They are the same PFs they are using as replacements for the LE customers that had problems. GB premium order placed by me today!!!

Potentially that bodes very poorly for existing Premium / Pro owners if they're still just talking about LE pf replacements.

Positively it does appear to be true that they're moving at least some production back to Churchill. I wonder if that includes new Pros, though ...

#4932 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

they aren't though, and haven't been ever.

A number of people have claimed on here that they have personally spoken to Uncle Gary and that he told them they'll be looked after, and are "in the programme" for pf replacement. Quite a few of those were Premiums or Pros.

But not everybody has put much stock in those relatively numerous but remarkably similar reports ....

#4934 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Nobody though has stern said that this Programme is limited to premiums or LEs and stern themselves has never said this.

Several have said it's LE or LE and Premium only, and one that their distributor had said Stern stated they wouldn't even consider replacements for Pros as they're for a commercial environment ....

#4937 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

the last place I'd get any information from is a distributor. Stern have said they will sort everyone out - Gary Stern was very specific on that.

If he was very specific that everyone would be sorted out, he'd have said all effected playfields, in all effected machines, of all versions in all territories, and what their criteria are for a pf to qualify as replacement worthy. He said nothing of the sort.

He also said in the same seminar that they'd been doing exactly the same thing with their pfs for 30 years and didn't know how it had gone wrong (ho ho ho ho).

It may be the case, and hopefully is, but you're being way too optimistic given the history of this saga and extremely limited information available.

1 month later
#5021 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Ummmmm....no. They will ship the new populated playfield as soon as they receive my old one. Do you really think they would ship another shit playfield that they'd lose money on?

From initial reports, they've been shipping non-Churchill pfs as replacements ... so yeah ...

#5052 7 years ago

Have any replacements been Churchill yet? AFAIK, no.

They're obviously exhausting stock of the old ones.

2 weeks later
#5152 7 years ago

Has it been confirmed that any of the handful of pf replacements that have happened have been Churchill yet? AFAIK all of them are the old 'Fun' ones with misspelled inserts.

Have any of the recent screwed up GoT / ST / SM VE been replaced yet?

#5227 7 years ago
Quoted from phyreteam:

16 Games/66 balls on a Premium, playfield date stamped Dec-07/2016.

Is that a large crack / score mark on the Scoleri insert, as well as the ghosting? Looks way bigger than the usual micro scratches.

#5314 7 years ago

I feel their communication has been very consistent and their intent abundantly clear from the get go.

That is, to string this out as long as possible and try to sweep it under the rug. At no time has there been any change.

Some of you still seem to think it's naiveté on Stern's part, or that they're incompetently trying to resolve things. I don't think anything could be further from the truth. It looks like it's been carefully orchestrated and is going exactly according to plan.

European distributors are taking hits and replacing machines (not them), the few pf replacements (still Fun not Churchill) that have been carried out make people wait and gives them false hope, others have lost all hope and given up waiting and sold, no-one has taken legal action yet ...... and most importantly of all, people are continuing to buy even more expensive titles, one of which already seems plagued with issues (BM'66)!

Tell me how that could be any better for them?

#5320 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Please sign this petition if you have been affected by a defective Stern Pinball product, or support Stern Pinball Inc. assisting customers in the pinball community who have been affected:
https://www.change.org/p/gary-stern-replace-defective-stern-pinball-machine-playfields?recruiter=662410736&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink
My attorney has requested that I first start this petition and get signatures before the next step- thanks!

You should change the wording to include those with playfield printing issues too (registration and alignment, or extremely washed out colours). They date from the same period and seem to be part of the wider problem with Stern pfs currently.

#5325 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I'll be happy to add this - do you have a link to a thread w/ more info and pictures?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-nib-stern-is-this-standard-playfield-print-quality

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious?tq&tu=Ngoett#post-3320907

Think there were some other posts or topics, but can't remember where.

#5336 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Anyone else's inserts on Batman LE/SLE look like this?

Either they are pitted or the clearcoat is, or both? Try feeling top and underside of pf ... are they rough? It looks like the plastic itself rather than cc. Looks almost like the insert got eaten into by some of the chemicals in the clearcoat, when sprayed.

1 week later
#5473 7 years ago

It wouldn't surprise me if Churchill and Stern quickly ended their relationship again. There's a reason they fell out in the first place - pricing pressure. Same thing happened with cabinets.

If they do in future or have already terminated pf agreement with Churchill, it's likely because they agreed to a lower price point, but with the proviso they couldn't guarantee low defectivity, defects immediately show up and Stern start pointing fingers, Churchill say "we told you" and stop production.

Could also be the issue that as Stern are clearly still using FUN and / or other suppliers in addition to Churchill that are terrible quality, they don't want to be tarred with the same brush.

#5484 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Saw some premiums pro's and even le's next to each other last month. Like mustang, met, twd, gb, start trek, this was a big distributor. Amazing that almost no playfield was the same. The premiums looked dull, red was not real popping, the blue was darker or lighter. Sometimes the pro was better (twd), sometimes the premium looked better (met). When you see the machine alone, you will not notice it right away. But comparing these machines next to each other the colors show. When the colors are right, the playfield really pops, just beautiful. Question, are these all the same manufacturer? Why these quality differences?

Likely all Fun, or what ever their name is. There have been a lot of reports of printing issues - faded colours, alignment issues etc - as well as all the insert issues , cratering and wear.

#5486 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

This was interesting thanks for posting it.
Did anyone else notice the guy running the industrial router without any apparent ear protection? And how about the guy spraying test clear coat without a mask...

The lack of health and safety regulations or adherence to them in the US boggles the mind almost every time i see non cutting edge facilities. It's nothing like Canada, Europe or Australia .... or even China, in many cases.

Horrible for workers ... but also one of the reasons the US has remained semi competitive for low tech stuff unlike other advanced economies.

3 weeks later
#5513 7 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

I'm want to buy a Metallica premium and can get a nib made around June 2016 or a current production nib. Any benefit to getting one vs the other?

I'd buy a Q3 2015 or earlier HUO if you want to be safe. '16 and '17 are a total lottery, and the cabs are definitely cheaper now anyway.

2 weeks later
#5693 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

My collection is 100% Stern
It's likely 100% of my future purchases will be Stern
Stern is my favorite
I love Stern
But they are not very cool at the moment.

Is that for real? Clear repair kits from Stern?

If it's come down to this, I can see droves of the remaining faithful deserting.

Also, they might want to put very obvious toxicity warnings on that jar of extremely nasty chemical, before a kid drinks it or someone seriously harms themselves, and they get sued for an amount which bankrupts the company ....

2 weeks later
#5923 7 years ago
Quoted from JonH123:

I don't understand how Stern has not resolved the issue with ghosted inserts and it's still showing up in new games.
Have they still not discovered the cause?

Process, materials (namely wood) and OEM were cheapened. They like cheap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious?tu=rubberducks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.