Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1383 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Yep, I doubt they will pull a CGC/PPS.

Well, they already pulled an "as designed" software hack on the broken left orbits of Game of Thrones Pro/LE and walked away. And they also left Wheel of Fortune for dead, unfinished. CGC/PPS has certainly done their share of sketchy things, but Stern is certainly not completely above reproach.

#1390 7 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

LOL..still angry about WOF..
That game is finished for 99.9% of the people that can't get to the final wizzard.

Nah. There are still callouts missing, the extra ball is just the word "extra ball" on the screen with no animations at all - there's plenty of rough edges to notice on WoF along the way. I sold mine within a couple months because of it.

3 weeks later
#2163 7 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

My GoT pro was purchased last november from the first batch that was available to Canada. I only recently noticed 1 tiny speck of ghosting on the Targaryen insert which is a non-issue. But, what is weirder is the way the clearcoat looks on 3 inserts when they are lit up. It's not ghosting, but some other kind of bubbled effect.

"As designed"

#2308 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Played it about 20 times today already, it's a lot of fun. No ghosting yet.......

Is that ghosting on the P and K above the rollovers in that pic?

#2355 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I sent en email to Stern asking what happens if I buy a ghosted game
Their reply determines my action

The reply will say "As designed. Love, Stern"

Most recently seen on Game of Thrones Premium/LE so Stern could avoid fixing the diverter that flat out blocked most left orbit shots required by the game to finish modes. Admittedly, this playfield nonsense is a whole new level.

#2819 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

You are minimizing the value of people's time. It is no small task to unpopulate and repopulate a playfield, and you better hope you don't damage or lose something in the process.

And those metal stern ball guides are notorious for lifting little chunks of playfield when you take them back out.

#2822 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Trent @ Tilt just informed me via email that Stern is not responding to him regarding his customers playfield ghosting issues, and now he has no choice but to start having customers email Stern directly about the issue- namely "John Buscaglia" who is head of sales [email protected]
Love how Stern tells you to contact your distributor, then wont reply to them. They are not only hurting their image and losing customers, but they are hurting their distributors business at this point.
If anyone is having playfield or quality issues, email John. Let's see if they will respond.
BTW- I am up to 7 ghosted inserts as of today- the super jackpot insert on my GBLE is now starting to ghost.

Probably too busy getting the next Ghostbusters LE ROM update ready that says dynamic and random playfield insert ghosting is "as designed."

#2836 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Stern is too busy planning "epic" parties to do any actual support or communication. Man, everybody who pays for that promotional event should go wearing a #FixMyPlayfield shirt.

One thing that's interesting about that party flyer is the Batman '66 meet and greet with Adam west. That's too random to be random, so it seems to be tacit confirmation that a Batman '66 either new or retheme of the crappy BDK pin is coming.

#2841 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

LE games did not start until 2007.

Incorrect. The first modern era Stern LE was Elvis Gold in 2004. It was actually called Elvis Gold Limited Edition. Granted, it wasn't feature+ like the Pro/Premium/LE feature ladder situation we have now where the Pro is gimped, but it was the first modern era Stern LE.

#2910 7 years ago
Quoted from chet218:

The idea of Stern sending an unpopulated playfield for the consumer to swap out is absurd to me. I have owned pinball machines for about 3-4 years (all of them being Sterns) and i don't feel confident I could swap a play field out 100% without issues. I also don't have the time. I think Ghostbusters is an amazing game and really wanted to buy a premium, but with no communication coming from Stern I am not taking a gamble on it. I bought a HUO WOZ instead and am interested in what JJP has to offer next along with the reveal of Alien.

It's not an uncommon solution. They sent me an unpopulated Simpsons Pinball Party to replace one that had messed up ink lines in the art. I mean, fortunately, this isn't Addam's Family or ST:TNG level stuff (both of which I've swapped PFs on, and each was a terrible job), but it's still annoying and intimidating for many owners.

#2922 7 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

You are actually incorrect as well. Monopoly had a platinum edition, 40 games, one for each space on the board. Not sure if it was the first but definitely before Elvis.

That was not called a Limited Edition. Elvis was the first modern Stern Limited Edition, as in, it was called LE and had a numbered plaque. Was the monopoly even numbered on the plaque? I thought it just said "Platinum Edition."

#3049 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I dont think the heat hurts the clear coat itself because obviously it doesnt hurt it on our cars. I was thinking more along the lines of maybe the wood expanding or contacting and maybe that making the clear coat seperate or crack. Im not saying it does or it doesnt, I honestly have no idea. I do for sure believe though that an extremely hot garage would be a bad environment for a pinball machine for many reasons. If this is as serious as alot of people seem to believe, then we definitely have a bad situation on our hands. I play a GB pro at a local barcade and its getting the crap played out of it and the playfield has no issues at all.

Yeah, it's the expansion and contraction of the wood that cause problems in a non-temperature controlled environment. My experience is that planking gets worse on Sterns in that kind of environment. It's one reason why I don't keep them in the garage anymore.

#3066 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

With that being said though, I actually do have an old Supersonic that was left in a garage at least 10 years through some very hot summers and very cold winters and it didnt hurt the playfield on it. The back glass has minor paint peeling which is probably the environments fault though. The old playfields may be apples and oranges compared to the new ones though, I dont know?

In my experience with the issue, I've only ever had a problem with Sterns in that scenario, and only the modern ones (like 2000 and up). Never was a problem with Bally/Williams machines in my garage. Has to be a difference in the wood they used for the playfields.

#3460 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

This is always the way it has been done in the past.
You'll have an empty cabinet for a month.
Just do it, you'll get a new PF and all will be well. Eventually.
rd

I'd wait to be one of the last to get the swap to make sure you're getting a "forever playfield" instead of another one that goes bad.

#3637 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

off topic but those new cc with rfid are easy to "clone". i ordered rfid blocking wallets for my family. thieves walk around malls and scan rfids all day now. the rfid blocking wallet prevents this.

This is hysteria created by the makers of Identity theft protection services and rfid blocking wallets to make you buy. Real world there's not much they can do with whatever they DO get from your RFID. Certainly nowhere close to the damage from a stripe card.

#3657 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

my rfid was copied twice. i live in ny the capital of thieves. my rfid was compromised. yes they were able to use it once but still it was. i had to cancel reorder all my cards because of this.

That's my point. The damage was minimal - they got one transaction off. It's nothing like having your striped card cloned or your striped card info stolen.

#3706 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Contacted my distributor again today. They are still looking into the playfield issues. Ontop of that my ramp shots never exit the subway. They almost make it back up then fall back down and roll back and forth under the playfield. I've tried changing the angle. tried 6, 6.5, 7 and 7.5 none help. Nothing looks broken.

What you're seeing is called the Trudeau effect. Looks okay, but in reality, just doesn't work out.

1 week later
#3947 7 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

I wonder even more if this means they have tackled the problem in the manufactoring process, and its now safe for me to order by GB PRO?!

I don't think they can even know the answer to whether the problem is solved or not until they try, try again with the next batch.

Whatever happened to have Churchill fall off Stern's playfield supplier list really screwed Stern with this whole mess.

#3989 7 years ago
Quoted from xyntec:

Even if there would be a swap program I'd be happier to just receive a new empty playfield and swap it out my self, Stern is not going to ship boxes all around the world I think, so I would have to make something to ship a populated playfield?? That would mean a complete custom designed wooden box with velvet inside?? Shipping would probably be at least 300 euro, I would be without a pin for at least 1 or 2 months I guess, and when I get the new populated playfield back, customs will surely ask me for a lot of money for import and taxes, last time for receiving only a new guide rail already cost me 40 euro on customs...
Swapping the playfield myself would cost me probably a day, and I'd be playing the nect day again. Surely not everybody would like to do a swap, but would be nice to at least have it offered that way...

If they're doing this, they should just give you the playfield with no requirement to return the old one. Saves them labor and lots of shipping. Actually, a replacement playfield and a voucher for a few hundred off the next Stern would still be a better deal for Stern for the end users willing to do the swap themselves. If I had one with this problem and this was offered, I'd probably take this since it's like what they did (minus the voucher) when I had a NIB Simpsons from the first run that had bad ink on the playfield.

#4141 7 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

what did Churchill do with respect to the MMR? thx

They didn't put enough of a white flood of ink under the castle names or didn't make the black thick enough so when the inserts were illuminated, the name of the castles became almost transparent. It was a pretty major mistake since those inserts are right in your face the whole game.

3 months later
#5097 7 years ago
Quoted from Bwilson:

Well I got my Christmas present early this year. I turn on my game this morning and the right scoop proceeds to let out an ass load of smoke... like hookah style blowing rings... ha!
Anyhow it looks like the coil in the right scoop locked on and burnt up... so it's probably the damn transistor on a board as well.
Time to make a call for new parts ... no GB for me over the Christmas holiday damn it!!!
This game is barely a month old....add that one to the list.

The GB Premium I'm setting up for a buddy had the coil in the subway eject fail, too, after only about 40 games.

#5103 7 years ago
Quoted from Bwilson:

Wow that sucks. I think Stern still has problems with the new Spike system they haven't sorted out yet. I got my new node 8 board in last week and now my right flipper locks on. Game worked fine for about a day. So I've lost the subway coil, the bottom pop bumper coil, and now the lower right flipper because of bad boards. Now they think it's a bad CPU... will be the last time I ever buy a new Stern. This game has been nothing but a pain in the ass.

Meh, it was no big deal. I had a replacement on hand, and Stern sent me a new coil. It was just a 20 minute inconvenience.

#5116 7 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

Wrong answer. As an operator, a collector, and a technician, these are most certainly NOT designed to make money on location. If they were, they wouldn't break every couple of weeks.
They are designed for one reason, and only one reason.... to make money for the manufacturer.

If yours are breaking every couple weeks, you have terrible luck, really rough players, or extremely heavy use. I help a guy out with his route and we have way more issues with JJP machines than any of the Sterns. The Sterns DO break occasionally, but NOT every couple weeks. I think I replaced maybe three parts in the last 12 months? A Metallica Premium magnet board, a GoT switch, and the GB coil I just mentioned (and that one wasn't technically on location yet).

#5121 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You are the exception rob but you're still not buying BM66 blind AND lymans track record has more than proven itself that there are safer waters when buying a pin you know he will he working on til the end.

BDK would disagree, unless you count B'66 as "getting BDK right." BDK is still a boring mess, but maybe that's the Lonnie influence? Wasn't Lyman the lead on that, too?

#5129 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

BDK is pretty much the only pin people can point to that Lyman did not hit out of the park code wise. Needless to say, he's got a pretty good batting average.

I don't disagree at all. Just pointing out that, while he's the best Stern has currently, he's not infallible. Fingers crossed BDK is his only embarrassment in recent history and B'66 turns out awesome.

#5130 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Put lightning flippers on BDK and open the outlanes and it's a blast.

Meh. Can't get past the game slowing teeter-totter and worthless, cheap coffee can "toy."

#5263 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

They need to use those magnets Stern has switched to that have the second outer metal ring to prevent that

Didn't they patent those?

#5267 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That damage occurred after 4000 plays according to the owner.
JJP had some real PF issues. My pf has some chipping in the saucers.

Why didn't they whip out the mylar at the first chip instead of letting it get so bad?!

#5306 7 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

I'm very interested to know, does anyone know of a stern le that is worth/sold for more than its original price once all the initial hype has diminished? Maybe this is a way to invest outside of the property/stock market port folios which are risky in themselves.

Tron, for sure. Iron Man (kinda) until the vault edition demolished the inflated market. AC/DC LE and Luci used are still mostly over their launch prices. It happens, but if you're buying for THAT reason, you're in the wrong hobby.

#5337 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Here's a great example of how it should have run.
Onkyo struggled for a year or two with HDMI failure. So, what did they do? They did this:
"As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip.
We deeply regret any frustration or inconvenience this situation may have caused.
To address the problem and help people who may have an impacted receiver, Onkyo is launching a special Customer Care Program to remedy this issue for those receivers that may be affected by this loss of audio/network connection issue. This program has three steps:

I wouldn't use Onkyo as an example. I had multiple receivers over multiple years with problems from them - they required people to pay for shipping to the repair depot (in this case a place in the Midwest) for a CLEAR manufacturing defect that was THEIR problem that they didn't ADMIT with the program you highlighted for a LONG TIME. I refused to pay for shipping to their ONE depot authorized to do this work that and pressed for a prepaid label (which I eventually got), but they BANNED ME from their forum for encouraging others not to pay for the shipping for ONKYO's problem and to ask for a label, too. That is not good customer service. After this fiasco, even though I was a customer for more than 20 years, I was done with Onkyo. They cost-reduced themselves out of my life.

#5338 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Anyone else's inserts on Batman LE/SLE look like this?

That's SLE craquelure to match the finish on the armor.

#5344 7 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

I had equipment that was specifically affected by that defect (If I recall, it was the BGA soldering underneath the chip for the HDMI). They send packaging to my front door, with prepaid postage, and scheduled another pickup from my front door when I was ready. They even gave me the option of free repair or full credit applied to a new purchase.
....that program was done really well, but it took some digging to find it.

That program only happened after a long period of deny, deny, deny and telling people they had to pay to ship to their depot. If you were affected first, Onkyo was a nightmare to deal with, and they banned people who came to their board in an attempt to cover up the issue until it got so large they couldn't cover it up anymore. They didn't make a customer-friendly program because they're great people. They were facing a lawsuit or lawsuits.

#5348 7 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Thanks. Yeah I follow that thread but missed that one. That sucks I thought it was good to go.

That one instance of a teensy (really, it's like what? 2mm x .15 mm?) sliver on ONE playfield insert is probably in the range of "normal" - they don't output perfection under regular circumstances. It's nowhere near the TORRENT of bad playfield reports from Mar-Oct 2016. I wouldn't worry about it.

#5359 7 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

I like this post, I'm a real newcomer to pinball and I have a sliver of ghosting like this on my July GB Pro playfield. I've been paranoid thinking this is just going to fall apart over time - it hasn't with about 2000 plays. Is the odd sliver of ghosting normal in your opinion then? Is it common?

A single tiny sliver with no other chipping, peeling, or cracking is a cause for hope. But a large portion of ALL playfields (not just GB) made in the Mar-Oct 2016 period are bad, so I'd remain vigilant.

#5376 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I've been told Churchfield is making the playfields again....

I think you mean Churchill.

#5408 7 years ago

I mean, I'm no Stern apologist, but let's be real. Of the four complaints you can read on BBB, two are crybabies with unrealistic expectations and the other two sound like retarded people.

1 week later
#5472 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

i just looked over a original run MET pro and i dont see any Churchill stamps. The stamps do look different then FUNs on GB and GOT pros. As i said im only going by what i was told. If i was lied to then ill be finding another distributor.

I could see a situation where Stern told Churchill they didn't want the PF's stamped anymore to hide the transition to crappier PFs (that went very wrong) and now that it's back at Churchill, they're still not stamped. There IS a difference with the Churchill ones, though. You can see it in the vibrance of the PF colors. The earlier GB playfields had more muted colors that didn't "pop" whereas the one we got in December has a very vibrant look and has had zero issues so far.

#5477 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I seen 2 different colored playfields around September i believe. I definitely think the deeper more vibrant one looks better. I dont think that any of the ghostbusters ive seen in person including the premium i seen with deeper colored playfield have been anything but FUN made playfields, all with ghosting.
Maybe you got lucky and got one of the Churchills from magazine article but i doubt that Churchill would not stamp there playfields to hide something.

Ghostbuster Premium with zero ghosting or chipping and a more vibrant playfield, December build. I'm pretty sure these are Churchill.

Not so sure about the Batman '66 playfield we have, though.

#5480 7 years ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

Any markings on the playfield when you lift it up? Usually there's a date, but curious if there are other marks.

A mark on the left end that's been blacked out with a sharpie. Nothing giant and obvious like the old Churchill days.

2 weeks later
#5503 7 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

Is any body selling the Ghostbusters Cliffy set on their online stores yet? I did email Cliff last week asking, but never heard back if he offers them. Also, is there a protector for the right side ball eject for the Ghostbusters Pro? This area seems like it gets worn the easiest, and I already have a bit of clearcoat breaking away here. Brushed on some crazy glue around that area to cover up the exposed bits of wood in the meantime.

For the Prem/LE, shooter lane set, Scoleri Bro target protectors, outhole drain protector, and 2 slot protectors $88 from Cliff direct.

2 months later
#5947 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Have there been any recent play field issues?
Even shooter lane chipping?
I skimmed through the last three or so pages and didn't see any new issues, with the exception of the SMVE, which may have been built months ago.
Anyone?

The Premium we got in November and put on route has been rock solid. Blew a coil in the first week, but after that, perfect performance, and no PF issues.

1 week later
#5956 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

That is both scary and satisfying.
On one hand; I'm glad they aren't trying to "rework" the clear coat.
But on the other; there seems to be a missed opportunity to Sand to wood... and reapply art and clearcoat.

Labor and time to strip used parts and then time/materials to rehab the playfield probably doesn't make sense.

#5968 7 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

When did Stern stop including shaker motors in the LE's? I was really sitting on the fence about buying an AS LE (13K up here in the great white north). The distributor up here told me Stern doesn't include shakers anymore. WTF???? A pin that expensive and a shaker is not included.
I'm out!

Every Premium costs $150 to get to acceptable shape with lollipop rails and a shaker motor. Now, it will be another $25 worth of B/W leg plates so the cabinets don't split. So $175 to make the Stern machines be the way they SHOULD be when you unbox it. Just the way it is.

3 months later
#6088 6 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

I´ve made a discovery. I can't tell when my playfield was made due to the lack of a date stamp. But... My playfield DOES have the "Light Negative Reinforcment" typo. So this means I simply got an old playfield. That typo was solved late 2016 wasn't it? It makes my think, why did I get an old playfield? It even has all the factory upgrades(captive ball metal guide, upgraded spot lights...) Are they trying to get rid of their junk playfield... "Those stupid germans won't even notice" I´m not stupid Stern! I've noticed it!!!
Greetings
Max

Yep, the typo is a dead giveaway. You got an original playfield from early/mid 2016.

#6102 6 years ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

Sorry guys what is the 'ghosting' in the pic? Nib stern owner here but don't have any issues on nib met pro playfield except dimples but assumed that might happen before commiting but I did have to moan to Stern about a visable chip out of the cab that must have been passed by QC. I hate seeing others having issues out the box, it shouldn't be a lottery that your 6k to 10k toy may or may not be riddled with issues.

See that white line at the bottom edge of the "Battle above Endor" insert? That's ghosting. The clear is pulling away from the insert.

#6144 6 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

At my house.

We agree on this. My issue was simply that Jack claimed the code was 'complete' at launch and yes it's way further along than Sterns are at launch but it is not what I'd call 'complete'.

Maybe call it "feature complete"? Stern doesn't even bother with that anymore at launch.

#6145 6 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

I hate when two people sidetrack threads and get into an argument that literally nobody else reading the thread gives a crap about. So I'm going to PM you now

OR, you could just put each other on ignore. Problem permanently solved.

#6167 6 years ago
Quoted from rogerroger:

My bad. I should've been clearer. With SMVE, I'm more concerned about the playfield quality. And I guess cabinet quality too nowadays.

You should be more frightened of the abhorrent callout downgrade from the original. The SMVE callouts are almost XMEN bad.

#6180 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You want movie themed spider man with actors, go for the original. You want a comic based spiderman supported by the comic license, go vault. No need for harsh false assumptious accusations.

What you're really saying is if you want to go from professional actors doing the callouts (and the PEERLESS JJ ones) to amateurs doing the callouts that would be rejected from dinner theatre, then SMVE is for you. Say what you will about the art, etc, there is NO COMPARISON in the callouts. SMVE ones are just bad.

#6268 6 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Do you ACTUALLY think Stern doesn't care?! I find that hard to imagine. They are constantly addressing issues that arise. I think the issues that keep coming up are proof that manufacturing a pinball machine is very difficult.

The Game of Thrones left orbit diverter "fix" is the clearest incontrovertible confirmation Stern often doesn't care. A fix for the bad diverter design/install that COMPLETELY BROKE the Martell mode was supposedly coming forever. Then they issued a software update that disabled it and said it was working "as designed" which was complete bull. Even disabling it, the Martell mode was broken because the ball took way longer going through the pops than around the orbit, eating valuable time off the mode clock. To say it was "as designed" was a slap in the face to owners and Steve Ritchie, but of course he can't say anything publicly. I'm sure he's still pissed.

The crazy thing is a fix wouldn't have cost that much (change the shape of the diverter arm a little), and the problem was found early enough that all newer GoT off the line at that time could have had it installed at the factory, costing very little. Stern chose to lie about it and move on. That's a lack of caring.

#6270 6 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Just to caveat on what you are saying, Steve Ritchie did acknowledge the issue with the diverter arm at a pinball convention and it was recorded but since removed from youtube. Also more than a few people at STERN and distributors early on said the exact same thing.

He acknowledged after the "as designed" lie? I didn't know that. Like I said, I bet he's still pissed about that.

#6272 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

They didn't even have to remanufacture the diverter arms. Just drill the assembly mounting holes 1/16th of an inch wider and push it toward the player when remounting. Took me 15 minutes and cost nothing.
Guess that's too much to ask for an 8k machine.

At the factory they could have just changed where they were drilling the holes and wouldn't have to drill out the assembly holes at all.

#6278 6 years ago

This was before the "UPDATE FIX" during first few months of GOT release.

Oh, right. I knew about that. I thought you were saying he was on record after the "as designed" fiasco.

#6361 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

LTG did the red circle couldnt erase it in DI thread. So should JJP replace ALL the DIs with chipped playfields or you cool with covering a 20 plays out of box $9000 DI chipped to bare wood with a cliffy and say its good? if Stern should be held accountable so should JJP.

JJP has not redefined that problem to be "normal" or "as designed." Stern just did that with their clearcoat problems. Indefensible.

#6386 6 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Do you think it's safe to buy one of the new batches of AS pros that are on their way to the distributors? I have one on order.

No one can say for sure. The initial Aerosmith batch had beautiful playfields. Who knows what's going on inside Stern now.

#6405 6 years ago

Any one here having a ghosting KISS LE?

I maintain a premium on route and have an LE at home and both are fine.

2 weeks later
#6448 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

You've all been warned. This is normal.

You need some quotes around "normal."

#6466 6 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Wrong drop down targets...really? Pics please. Because that would be a new low in QC for me.

Worse than different colored rails on each side of the same machine? That was the craziest one so far IMO.

#6479 6 years ago

1. Clear coat seems noticeably thinner
2. Inserts are noticeably felt on play field (I have other Sterns where play field clear coat feels smoother over inserts)
3. Play field plastics and mechs seem like they are second run/bottom of the bin (noticeable lesser quality)
4. Other left side drop targets had to be adjusted as they would not drop due to being to close to play field
5. Play field was literally covered in dust like, it was a first run and back in the day QC decided it wasn't good quality so it was set aside and now all of a sudden its good enough for a replacement.
While I appreciate the swap from Stern as it was needed. I am worried that in a years time the new play field will have the same issues if not more and worse. Here is hoping not....

Is Weber still one of the playfield vendors for Stern, or just Churchill now? I remember the Weber PFs being crappier than the Churchill in the 2003-2007 era (?). Maybe it's a vendor issue.

#6498 6 years ago

Interesting that Stern is reverting to the W/B cabinet hardware for the leg plates and have added reinforcement at the top, too. Pics from the latest Star Wars machines with this change here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/137#post-3924456

#6500 6 years ago
Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

Yeah I saw that. It will be interesting to see if it makes it to the Pro models. Step in the right direction but that is the least of their worries.

Given the size of the cabinets and cost of replacing them in the field, I would think it's one of the most expensive issues to fix, so spending another $3/cabinet (that they took out as part of their cost-cutting measures) is money well spent.

But yeah, I can see this formerly standard, now "extra" hardware becoming an "upgrade" not available on the Pros.

2 weeks later
#6525 6 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

LMFAO, since they stole $50k with Paperflock on kickstarter for the anniversary book, this seems like a good sequel inside TELL ALL book. In fact, I bet we all know a Stern pinball designer that is probably needing to raise legal funds that knows all the inside dirt and would be happy to spill it.

Is that confirmed dead? I hadn't heard anything about it recently.

1 week later
#6557 6 years ago

Stern was hacked see link for details and how to safe guard your computer and identity.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-hacked-do-not-open-invoice-emails-from-stern#post-3975943

Probably more likely Stern was phished.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 8.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.