Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballlew.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#405 7 years ago

That clear chipping in the shooter lane and the out hole along with the magnitude of the ghosting is not how it has always been. This is not the norm

#536 7 years ago

I just hope these problems get worked out and or solved for affected customers. Stern is making some great designed games as of late. They are creating "Fun in a box". I am unsure of the reasons behind the quality of the playfields and the cabinet decal peeling issues, but have to wonder if it is pressure from the investors that helped bail out Stern. Are they trying to use inferior products to help profits and cut costs? When you get investors they expect growing returns on their investments. Is this the reason for all the shortcuts? Prices have increased quite a bit creating, I am sure, greater profits for Stern. The collector market has supported the price increases but if the quality doesn't keep to where it was I don't believe the collector market will continue to support the price increase as a whole and Stern will lose customers. Look at the above reactions, the sentiment is a lot of pinsiders will not chance buying a NIB now until these issues get worked out. Some are rolling the dice and will take their chances depending on lots of different scenarios.

#537 7 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Stern's response to me for the insert bubbles has been "Thanks for the picture. I sent this to our quality managers."

Did they say they will get back to you on a resolution or was it thanks for the pics, see you later and enjoy your game as is?

#543 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

So, how is that not a possibility of it being a bad batch then? You don't have numbers either of the number of defects, or the number of playfields that would be in one "batch", so you can't say anything with any certainty.
I get people being concerned, but the amount of angst and "sky is falling" going on in this thread in the absence of any real information seems even more extreme than usual for Pinside.

Even if it is just one bad batch (if that is the case) these playfields should not be used. If Stern offered these ghosting playfields for sale to you and knowing that they have ghosting would you purchase or want one to install in a game? The real information is they are being shipped with ghosting inserts from the factory which is not acceptable IMO.

#568 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Well, yes. Only Stern knows for sure how many reports they have gotten, so they are the only ones with real information. Not sure what you are asking.

I don't see how that is the "real information". According to several people who posted in this thread, the ghosting only showed up after days/weeks. I don't see any Stern employees posting in here saying "we deliberately shipped playfields with ghosted inserts", although I could've missed it.

True maybe I have mispoke about the ghosting being on the machine when it leaves the factory. But posts of pictures of NIB machines being open with ghosting before a ball has been played have been posted.

#600 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No, same quality as always.
No company on earth has ever made more pinball playfields than CCC, they claim.

The quality is not near the same that it has been. My RCT clear in the shooter lane has never chipped like that and the outhole is perfect. I don't see one insert that exhibits any ghosting either.

#993 7 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Something is going on friends kiss pro got pulled from a box in sterns factory to check the playfield. They delayed it a week - sounds like a huge amount of qc going on and huge problems.

If there is a huge amount of QC going on then this is a good sign that Stern will handle the problem accordingly IMO.

#1026 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

The rub: Pinball machines are a commercial product. They are intended to be bought and routed by an operator. That's why the have coin slots and pricing adjustments. Their ability to recover ROI is unaffected by these "problems". They will earn the same with blemishes or not.
We are trying to impose "collector condition" quality defects on a commercial device. We are buying for personal enjoyment in the commercial market. I fully expect Stern to eventually say these "defects" are acceptable for their commercial products.
If you want collector quality, buy from a manufacturer that is making a personal use item designed for collectors.

The rub: Pinball machines were originally a commercial product with very few home buyers. They were intended to be bought and routed by an operator originally. This is no longer the only scenario as their market has changed to greater then 50% of these machines being sold to home owners and or collectors in the USA. Stern doesn't wish to lose this market so they have to adapt to their changing market and they have done so and are continuing to do so. Stern relies on both of these seperate markets purchasing pinball machines for their business. They address both of these markets as they both are important. Stern is designing these machines for collectors, home buyers, operators and if you watch a few of their interviews at expos and what not they publicly state this as their intentions. They are concerned with what collectors and home buyers think otherwise they would not address these cosmetic issues. Their tech support helps a lot of buyers both operators and collectors with non official warranty issues related to cosmetics. They do not just tell these people to pound sand and try to satisfy their concerns because they realize that they need to address these issues for the success of their business now and in the future.

So that being said those that say if you don't like it don't buy is not a relevant arguement. Home buyers and collectors want pinball machines in their homes and or collections and Stern needs these customers as well. Home buyers and collectors buy pinball machines for a variety of reasons, to play them, to display them, to collect them, ect ect....Stern realizes this and does cater to this market. They address cosmetic issues as well as electronic ones. 100% satisfaction will never be reached as they have to filter in reasonable resolutions that don't destroy their bottom line but also resolutions that satisfy most buyers both present and in the future.

#1224 7 years ago

I believe Gary Stern has at least two daughters as he told the story of sending a machine to one of his daughters while she was at college and then his other daughter got wind of it and said to Gary, hey where is my pinball machine? So he sent her one as well.

#1242 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Wrong person, it wasn't GS, but good rumor.

55 minutes in is the story from Gary Stern

3 weeks later
#1521 7 years ago
Quoted from JonH123:

If this happened to one of my playfields and Stern was not helping, I would call them up and ask them to just sell me a replacement playfield at half price. Half price is probably at cost for them so they won't lose any money. If I turn around and sell my game that has ghosted inserts with a new spare playfield, it's probably worth at least what I paid. Just my opinion and what i'd do if put in this situation.

Until they fix the process they could very well just be sending you a playfield with the same ghosting issues or chipping clear coat.

1 week later
#1820 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

What do you suppose a "replacement" would cost Stern?
And what good would it really do? The average guy isn't going to swap out a play field.
I think they are gonna have to offer some sort of a refund for the defects.

They should playfield swap the defective playfields once they get the issue worked out or if the customer would prefer just a new playfield send them one.

#2214 7 years ago
Quoted from Rokablly:

But will they announce when the problem has been resolved?
Like others I am on the fence about canceling my Premium order despite having a dinning room table covered with MODS waiting to be installed. I seriously do not want to deal with any of the hassle making phone calls, emailing back and forth, distributor or Stern and then possibly having to replace a whole play field let alone anything. I want to get it, set it up, and play it knowing it is worth every penny spent right out of the box, a month out of the box, a year out of the box, etc. That's what we all pay for and expect right?

I highly doubt you would hear any kind of announcement. I don't think they will publicly acknowledge either the fault or that the problem is solved. This will be handled on a case by case basis I would assume from the customers that contact them. Supplier issues are a touchy subject as there are multiple companies involved here, Stern and the supply company.

#2263 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

that needs to go back to the distributor immediately for a full refund, no questions asked.

Needs a new populated playfield is all...With this many issues I am sure Stern will do this for you.

#2265 7 years ago

Okay maybe sure isn't the correct term but I can say when I received a playfield that was scratched that they did send me a populated playfield quickly and swapping it was a piece of cake.

#2269 7 years ago
Quoted from gawcol:

Mine was perfect when I opened it. I put all coils on soft, also the scoops (menu option).
I just played it one evening. The next day already had insert problems.
production date of playfield is 20 june. Distributor says "contact Stern".
Sent 2 mails but no response so far...
A mail back could at least give some peace of mind

Call Stern and let them know your distributor told you to call them yourself.

#2311 7 years ago

The topper looks a lot better in person then in pictures. I thought it looked great at California Xtreme. The only thing I didn't care for was the Siren but it wasn't that bad and someone on here painted one and posted a picture that looked a lot better.

#2325 7 years ago

When you take delivery of the machine how are you going to know the playfield is scratched? Do people open these up and inspect the game with the shipping company employee waiting till you check it out? I don't mean this to be sarcastic I am just asking if anyone does this?

#2346 7 years ago

30 plays that is some crappy clear. I just dont understand why everybody doesn't puts mylar in the shooter lane before the first plunge though. Such cheap insurance.

#2367 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Whoops...I forgot to use the sarcasm font in my last post. I was complimenting your rational approach and mocking the Pinside hysteria.
I have not received my GBLE yet, however, I have complete faith Stern will resolve any/all playfield issues. Like many have mentioned previously, no good can come from Stern making a premature announcement. Give them time to identify root cause and implement a permanent corrective action.

I hope you are right but man it really seems like this is going to be very expensive if they address all of these issues with a populated playfield to those that don't have the capability to swap them out. Heck it will be very expensive to just send a playfield out to all that are affected. Interesting to see how this plays out.

#2410 7 years ago

From the seminars I have watched Stern definitely (both Gary and Gomez) acknowledge that the market has switched in the US. They know that the market is not just operators and includ the home purchaser as much, if not more sales to the latter then ops. This has been stated in several interviews and seminars. If you look at what their business model is becoming you can easily see evidence of this fact. They sale mods direct now on their website (retailer). Stern is very involved in their retail sales with their distributors...to the point of setting minimum pricing including telling the Distributors that they are not to include freebies with purchases.

So the argument of these are Commercial machines is just blah blah blah. Originally yes but currently they are both Commercial and Consumer products that Stern caters to both markets as they are both essential to their profit margins. So these cosmetic issues specifically ghosting is a valid concern to Pinsiders and the argument that "you know these are commercial machines so don't complain" is no longer valid in 2016.

#2416 7 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I'm can't beleive Stern is still sending out PF they know have a problem. It's just such bad business the cost of doing repair or replacement goes up exponentially as soon as the product leaves the production facility. I'm not going say anything bad about their pins I love them, but the management and manufacturing is horrendous for 2016. The best thing that could happen at this stage is for a modern company to take them over and clean house with everyone but Creative.

If it was simply a matter of ordering up new playfields without the problem and keep production moving along they would have done that. I believe this is a bigger problem then that. Your fire everyone solution would cause way more problems for the company and the QC then help.

#2520 7 years ago
Quoted from Bing_Party:

Oh man kpg that's awful. So jus to confirm. Is this shit happening to just the LE run? No pro's having this issue?

This is not limitied to just the GB LE play fields

#2552 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

So GBLE's are available again ?
LTG : )

I think there is an impact on Stern but I think the LE's are the exception to these cancelled orders (however many there really are). More people will risk GBLE then if it was just a base game. How many others that don't read pinside are oblivious to the ghosting issues going on? Now if I had took the plunge and purchased an LE and was waiting for it...I would not cancel my order as even with the known ghosting issues the machine is worth more defective then what I would have paid. I was going to purchase a NIB GB Premium but will hold off now till this situation gets resolved. I might just wait now for a HUO example so I can inspect the game prior to purchase.

#2554 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Stern are lucky they don't have any sizeable competition, or an issue like this, and more importantly how they have handled it, would do serious damage to a company. The fact it is doing damage without much competition shows how badly it has been managed.
Ironically it's also the lack of competition that has encouraged them to address this issue in such an in such arrogant way.
The days of addressing each issue case by case, behind closed doors, and "don't tell any other collectors about it", are gone. This is going to have to be a blanket fix - it's too widespread.
I still can't believe they haven't publicly addressed it. The whole thing would have been a non issue if they had come out early with a broad statement that they are aware of the problem, they are looking into it, and they will address it. How hard is that?

Well if they made a public statement like that then they would be admitting that they know they have a problem and don't have it resolved but are continuing to produce machines knowing they have a problem with a large percentage of those machines being manufactured. Seems like a lose lose situation to me. I don't think Stern can financially afford to shut the line down until this problem is solved vs producing the product and handle the issues down the road. I would bet that they have decided it is much more cost effective to go on with business as usual handle the known issues case by case and come up with a solution as quick as possible to these problem playfields.

#2714 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

A populated playfield swap would be considerably easier on a SPIKE system than on a SAM.
The SpiderMan VE owners would still have a mess of wires to unplug.

Speaking from experience a populated playfield swap on a SAM system is not a big deal at all. I did it with my first machine when I was green and it took all of 10 minutes.

#2718 7 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

I got received one of the first Hobbit LE's off the line and the code was very basic. Just modes (not all of them) and Smaug MB with no callouts. This is after, what, four years of development? I was a bit disappointed with that. The code now is still missing stuff, but getting better.
Everything I've read about GB says that code is basically complete with the exception of some tweaks.

It is the policy of Stern to say that the code is complete upon a titles release.

#2829 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Trent @ Tilt just informed me via email that Stern is not responding to him regarding his customers playfield ghosting issues, and now he has no choice but to start having customers email Stern directly about the issue- namely "John Buscaglia" who is head of sales [email protected]
Love how Stern tells you to contact your distributor, then wont reply to them. They are not only hurting their image and losing customers, but they are hurting their distributors business at this point.
If anyone is having playfield or quality issues, email John. Let's see if they will respond.
BTW- I am up to 7 ghosted inserts as of today- the super jackpot insert on my GBLE is now starting to ghost.

This just seems crazy to me. Trent should be on the horn with Stern...how do they not respond to questions posed over the phone. I understand not returning emails is possible but if I was a dist. I would be raising hell on the phone. I really hope Stern answers your emails...

#2885 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Retailers and Distributors can't take a hit on a $500+ populated playfield return. Don't let anyone snowball you on that. They are only going to be replaced through Stern's doing.
Warranty/returns are facilitated through the manufacturer... just retailers have a relationship that allows them to up-front the return, and then get their money back from the manufacturer after the fact... or smaller items they can eat in margins. But no pinball sale point has those kinds of margins to just eat PFs on their own accord (well.. maybe some selling at MSRP)
The quality of customer service is going to be in how the seller fronts the communications and chases on your behalf.
It will take some time, but much like the Metallica and ST run of playfields that were hosed... the customers were made right.
Stern won't kill the golden goose. They may try to see how far they can string it out and cut corners to minimize their loss... but they won't kill their LE NIB home buyer market. They are cheap... not stupid.

I think they are in the process of killing their LE NIB market as we speak and a lot of future sales as well. Well maybe killing it is not the correct term but they are definitely taking some hits to overall sales. Ask KPG or others on here with problems if they are going to buy another LE NIB soon. Stern's distributors (All of them) represent Stern. Trent telling KPG to contact Stern directly is a piss poor representation of Stern the company itself IMO. Stern not answering distributors or customers themselves on this issue is arrogant and ridiculous. Stern by now knows they have an issue with these playfields and it didn't start with GBLE, look at the GOT issues and the SMVE issues or even the GB pros. I think that Stern will satisfy most of these customer issues but the way they are going about it (old school ways) does not seem to bode well for the current market conditions and there current customers. They need to wake up, communicate (one on one if they so choose), make the customers whole to the best of their ability that makes sense and keep their personal pinball resurgence growing. I hope they do just that. I am a fan of their current games as I think they are designed well and are some of the most FUN in a box games around. I want more of them made.

#2969 7 years ago

I wonder what the percentage of ghosting playfields vs good playfields are sent out. 10%, 50%, 75%. Hard to tell what the percentage is..would be interesting to know but I guess if you are not a dist. you could not get a accurate feel for the true percentage. I ask as I wish to order a machine or two but am cautious. If the figure was closer to 10% I would just place a order as I feel if I was an unlucky one Stern would make it right with a populated playfield, closer to 50% and I feel that I would be only getting a NOS playfield that I would have to pay someone to swap out the playfield. Does anyone know of any Met Premiums buyers that had ghosting issues or sparky chipping lately?

#3026 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Pinside, part of the 1 percenters

This needs to be their next shirt!

#3028 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

I love how stern deletes negative comments on their IG. Everyone should be posting on it.

Post during non business hours also so they are not deleted in seconds maybe...while some people are asleep...I guess they won't get many views though during that time...post during the Stern Party!

#3098 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I asked my Distro if I could jump to the back of the line with my LE order as it hasn't re-shipped from the factory yet. I was told that Stern is making the last run of LE's now, so it's either cancel the order or take the game when it ships. Stern tell us something! I don't want to cancel

The last thing I would do in your shoes is cancel the LE order. It would not be hard to sale it for what you have into it unopened in the box...heck Ill buy it from you.

#3107 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If it has playfield issues it would be a pretty hard sell at 8500 dollars

I just said I would buy it at what he paid plus a couple hundred

#3171 7 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Enough with the PC crap on this thread/site. If you had the chance to buy a GBLE and didn't go through with it because of ghosting then you are a name that I can't say because I'll get a thread eject and probably an eject from the boards for 2 or more weeks. Enough with trying to please people. It's a Capitalist society, embrace it.
Also, the ghosting issue never became apparent until quite a few Pros hit the market so you are either clairvoyant or totally full of shit. Which is it?

SMVE had tons of ghosting issues...it didn't start with GB pro

#3302 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

any stand up target, middle PF in front of the flippers can be made into an airball target. Just bend the mount bracket to give it some angle and then the ball can ramp up off of it.
Think Bally Bow and Arrow and hitting the roving 5000 shot =D CRACK

Frontier is another glass popper...love it!

#3520 7 years ago

When I had a problem with my Stern playfield on my RCT back in 2003. Stern determined to swap out my playfield. They sent me a box to place my playfield in. I took pictures of the connecting cables and removed the playfield from my game and sent the playfield off to Stern (If I was to do it again I would just use stickers and label the connectors). They completed the swap and sent the playfield back to me out here on the coast of California. They took care of all the shipping costs. It took all of 11 days....yes sucks to be without your game for this time but I received back my playfield and put it back in. Took all of 10 minutes to do. It was easy and I was very green in my pinball endeavors at the time. My new playfield was swapped with all of my own parts. They must have checked everything thoroughly as I have had zero issues with my game since this time, well actually I replaced one flasher bulb. The only thing I have ever done is cleaned the game replaced rubbers and pinballs YMMV though.

In hindsite the 11 days was something that nobody wants to deal with but I did get a handpicked perfect playfield swapped into my game that has lasted to this day. Once the time passes it is in the past and 11 days goes by quick. I would suggest just going this route if it is offered to you...in the long run it is the best option IMO.

If the $5000 playfield upfront deposit was from Stern this is ridiculous and absurd...I could understand maybe a $1500 core deposit or whatever Stern's actual cost on parts for a populated playfield. Sounds to me they don't want many people using this option and the 5 grand was to deter just this. I doubt they want to deal with all the parts of a used machine being returned and the additional labor involved in recovering these parts after the fact if they even chose to reuse them...which I would not want on my new machine if they would reuse them. This paragraph is just me speculating.

#3521 7 years ago
Quoted from trent:

Just to clear things up about the $5000. First off the way Robotron explains advance warranty parts below is correct. Except that I get billed immediately from Stern as soon as the part ships to the customer. When the damaged part is returned I get credit back. Typically there is no deposit for this service required.
What Rare Hero noted above is also true. Stern used to send out populated playfields first before requesting the bad one back. There was an issue where a playfield was not returned so Stern changed the policy to sending a box to the customer, covering all shipping costs and having the bad playfield returned first.
So unless Stern changes their policy KGB will have to send his playfield back first. And if he somehow talks Stern into sending a playfield to him first I would need a $5000 deposit. For the simple reason that as soon as it gets shipped I get billed for it. That is my policy and I can hold a credit card for it no problem and as long as it gets returned there are no issues and nothing gets charged.
Is $5000 too much for a populated LE playfield? I don't know, but that is what I get charged by Stern so I pass it on.
Trent

Ok that clears up the $5000 deposit. Yes $5000 is to much for a populated LE playfield and you know it! LOL

#3544 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I don't think Trent was being sarcastic. If you look at a bill of materials for any new pin, you'll probably find that a majority of the fully-loaded cost (over 50%) is going to be in the populated playfield, which is a sub-component of Work-In-Process inventory that includes direct and indirect costs for parts, labor, and overhead.
MSRP for this pin was $8,795. Subtract out distributor margin (lets say $600 for an LE, for illustrative purposes), and you end up with an approximate wholesale cost of ~$8,195 to the distributor. Half of that is ~$4,098. I'm ignoring the manufacturer's own margin for the sake of simplicity, but you get the general gist.
So $5,000 for a populated LE playfield may be a little on the high side, but isn't completely outrageous from a manufactured cost perspective.

distributor pays nowhere close to $8195 wholesale...they were selling LE's for $7200 to the end customer shipped. Knock your 600 off that price now your at $6600..now does $5000 seem absurd to you?

#3546 7 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Lol, if you've read the posts above then you'd know no one is getting charged $5k. Trent said himself that he would hold KPGs CC #, just like a hotel does, to insure the playfield is returned, meaning that nothing is being charged on it.

This is what I read where at the beginning he states that Stern immediately charges Trent and he would need $5k then he goes on to say that he wouldnt charge the CC....so to clarify I don't know what Trent means here as he stated it both ways, that he needs the deposit up front since he gets charged right away and later he said that he wouldn't charge the CC. So what part of his statement did he mean?

"So unless Stern changes their policy KGB will have to send his playfield back first. And if he somehow talks Stern into sending a playfield to him first I would need a $5000 deposit. For the simple reason that as soon as it gets shipped I get billed for it. That is my policy and I can hold a credit card for it no problem and as long as it gets returned there are no issues and nothing gets charged."

#3557 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Fair enough. My gut tells me the populated playfield is probably closer to 60% of the fully-loaded cost on the BOM, but even if we stick with 50%, half of $6,600 is $3,300.
Yes, $3,300 is quite a bit lower than $5,000, but it's also quite a bit higher than $1,000, which some people here were expecting. I just don't think $1,000 is a realistic representation of the distributor's cost for that relatively expensive sub-assembly.

Ok but we are talking a defective product here. So Stern should not mark up the populated playfield price to a distributor. $3300 is not Sterns BOM cost for a populated playfield. I don't have a clue what this cost would be for just the playfield, but I would suspect that it is closer to $1k then $3300 by a long shot. I will guess high and say Stern has no more then $1500 in a populated playfield including assembly labor.

#3558 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Yes there is some confusion here.
Initially Trent claimed he would need a check for $5,000 if getting a populated playfield.
I asked if he would just take a credit card instead, then refund or just hold it and he said that would be ok.
It's all good as I talked with my new best friend at Stern Pinball and I have to say my standpoint and anger at the company has done a complete 180*
They are taking care of my situation, without going into details, I'll say that everything is fair and will be handled in the next several months.
I don't want to be the source of info as it might change, but I'll just say that Stern will be working with your dealers and will make this right if your playfield is jacked up.
As far as I'm concerned I'm a happy guy right now and I'll just put a boatload of plays on the defective playfield and let it turn to dust knowing a new one will eventually come.
Thanks to Stern Pinball as they are making it right and hope everyone resolves their problems. They are not ignoring it. Likely they are still figuring out what went wrong and how to make playfields that don't fall apart before replacing with more defective ones.
Until then... my friends and family, and of course myself- will be playing the hell out of it and enjoying the machine. It's a great game.

Glad to hear this will be resolved for you...I figured it would be. Enjoy the heck out of that game now!

#3569 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

That's all irrelevant. So you're saying that Stern should only charge a $1500 deposit. If that's the case I'll offer someone $1600 for their GBLE playfield with ghosted inserts. I'll buy a GOT Pro and swap this playfield in and enjoy 2 games for $6600!

I guess in doing so you would promote purchasing stolen property. Probably the reason that Stern has a $5k deposit policy now I guess. Someone always out there screwing things up for the majority of honest folks.

#3717 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Angle in original post

Something physical must be making contact with the ball for it to lose all that momentum. It does sound like the ball is hitting something in the subway on your video.

Copied this for you from the issue thread about subway:

Subway ramp the ball doesn't feed cleanly to the right return lane.
-Small stainless steel diverter flap is pertruding slightly causing the ball to skip. Adjust the flap by bending it slightly.

#3720 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

another video shows how sometimes it comes out and sometimes it doesn't
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3XoAMy4fHpsTWs4TUl0RGRveG8/view?pref=2&pli=1

That even sounds clearer that you can hear the ball hitting something when it failed to come out vs when it was successful. The ball didn't become magnetized did it? Have you tried it with a new ball?

#3785 7 years ago

If you ask me this "PROGRAM" is nonsense and does nothing to restore confidence in purchasing right now. A matter of fact I think their is not really a program as some on here have talked to distributors who know nothing about it or claim not to. If there is a program then it should be publicly announced or definitely should have been implemented by Stern to all of their distributors so the consumers would not have to call their distributors out on this. It is ridiculous to me that any consumer should have to inform a distributor about any kind of program...comical.
It seems more of a monetary protection program for Stern then a program to stand behind their product. Yes the squeaky wheel or if you create a voiced public outcry will probably get a good resolution but a lot of people don't like to work and put in phone or email time to just get a good resolution. A few phone calls by Gary to me was just to calm some of the people on this forum as they were raising valid concerns...Gary calls them and calms them down and promises that they will be taken care of which I am sure he will. These people will then not voice anymore public outcry....but not everyone is willing to go this route to get simply what they should get from Stern when purchasing NIB. I think it has worked to a degree though...Gary calls a few people and now no more pictures of their games degrading because they were silenced. No more outcry, damage control program successful.
I think Stern should really implement a program and acknowledge the problem publicly to restore confidence in consumers, past, present and future. I wonder how many potential sales they are really losing. A lot of consumers on here have stated that they are holding off...does this damage Sterns bottom line? I know personally that I was hoping to buy a couple of games NIB as I recently have been getting back into pinball...I really want a MET and GB which I wanted to purchase NIB but now I am simply on hold and decided the risk/reward for a NIB purchase is to great. I like opening a game NIB...it's a thrill that anyone has experienced can attest to. To me it can be compared to buying a new car vs a slightly used one. Yes I know you lose money driving that new car off the lot but their is nothing like driving a new car. A slightly used one is nice to but definitely not the same feeling as buying it new. For now I will wait and see what happens to make a choice...right now it's looking like just wait for a good HUO down the road. Fix your playfields Stern and while your at it Fix your "Program".

#3840 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

When I had a problem with my Stern playfield on my RCT back in 2003. Stern determined to swap out my playfield. They sent me a box to place my playfield in. I took pictures of the connecting cables and removed the playfield from my game and sent the playfield off to Stern (If I was to do it again I would just use stickers and label the connectors). They completed the swap and sent the playfield back to me out here on the coast of California. They took care of all the shipping costs. It took all of 11 days....yes sucks to be without your game for this time but I received back my playfield and put it back in. Took all of 10 minutes to do. It was easy and I was very green in my pinball endeavors at the time. My new playfield was swapped with all of my own parts. They must have checked everything thoroughly as I have had zero issues with my game since this time, well actually I replaced one flasher bulb. The only thing I have ever done is cleaned the game replaced rubbers and pinballs YMMV though.

Figures a switch went out tonight on my Rocket Vuk...I have to wonder if I didn't post this if it still would have stayed strong..lol...at least it was a easy fix.

1 week later
#4066 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

So no examples of Stern screwing their distributors over. Thought so.

Sort of like no examples from you of Stern stepping up to the plate.

#4148 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Push down on a couple more inserts.

Im sure this will happen...

#4224 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Dimples are normal. They look crappy until they are evenly spaced, everywhere. The Venom insert looks more concerning to me.

I don't see any ghosting on that insert..just reflections

#4232 7 years ago

I think it is just a photo artifact on that insert. Under the M in The Venom looks to be the photographers top of his head reflection if you blow it up you can see hair. The crack in the insert I think from the pic is just a light trick kinda like the white stripe above the Green with envy insert. I could be wrong though maybe it is jacked up...would need to see in person I think but my hunch is it is fine. Looks to be wax in the mylar groove going through Spiderman.

2 weeks later
#4413 7 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

I may be wrong, weren't working that I saw and someone put rubber on the slings (I'm sure it was the Premium).

They should all have rubber on them.

#4417 7 years ago

I don't think anyone knows if they are fixed or not...including Stern themselves. Time will tell.

#4431 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I have also heard through the rumour vine that Stern has corrected their play field issues.
This message seems to have been spread to various individuals separately so personally, I am putting weight in it.
So here goes:
If anyone can find issues with any pins made after say Sept 7, ... BRING ON THE EVIDENCE.

there nothing disected here this is your post where it says Sept 7th. Pinside is waiting their $50 donation.

#4436 7 years ago

Ok I didn't see where you changed your date again...

#4473 7 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I bought my GB in August when there was supposed to be a free tshirt offer. But, my game didn't come with the coupon though. I asked politely a few times on Facebook if I can get my free shirt and was ignored. So Stern (Jared) posts a new shirt special for their party and I asked if I can get one since I didn't get my free shirt with my game (Since I have been ignored so far). Their response is to delete my comment and still ignore me.
I'm not losing sleep over a shirt, but hey it would have been nice to have nevertheless. This is how Stern operates.
Rob

Just call their 1-800-kickers and I am sure they will send you a shirt.

#4487 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

My guess was that the lead up to xmas is a busy time and they want to be pumping out machines and that January is a quieter period.
When I look at the videos of the stern factory the build of the play field seems to be the hardest,longest and most expensive part of the process, and in effect subject to how many people claim, and assuming lots of operators and non-pinheads dont bother, stern could have a hell of a lot of work to do in January, as a business it looks ugly for them, what i cant get is why its taken so long to address this. Can you imagine if apple release a phone that bits of the screen or buttons fell off and they took almost a year to address it - there would be riots in the street!
BMW had a problem with the rear diff on all M cars this year, they stopped all production for 4 weeks so they could address it (a car i had on order was delayed a month because of it). Just seems nuts that stern are still sending faulty stuff out across the world that just the shipping is going to cost an arm and a leg let alone the work to build the replacement play fields. It just seem insane to me.
Neil.

Maybe January is their self projected safe time to figure out if they have all these issues worked out. If Stern addresses the problem before they know if the problem with these playfields is fixed then they just might have to swap playfields more then once. Someone reported a playfield with issues of a Sept. 9th production date. I don't think they have the issue 100% corrected yet but they could have...just don't know. Unlike Cars where a problem with the M series could kill lives if not addressed, pinball machines will not and it is a problem that I believe Stern feels they can go on as normal and attend to later down the road to make consumers whole.

#4498 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

You're getting dangerously close to losing $50.
Let me ask you this. If Stern fixed the issue as of "mid-September" why in the world would they be using PF's dated Sept 8th that were potential issues if they new the issues would be resolved in a week +/-?

I will hazard a guess...September 8th is the date of the newest playfields Stern has on hand. The issues are not fixed yet.

2 weeks later
#4762 7 years ago
Quoted from FreeBee:

Playfield problems aside, our LE GB has some hardware that already looks very rusted. Came right out of the box like that. Seen it at other Sterns as well. Seriously? Both hinge bolts, both gate flaps, and there is a single washer on the left sling that is brown and corroded.
Not a single game played, first we'll install a playfield protector and the anti-bounce cover in the lower area.
All this aside, the game is looking very well.

I find this hard to believe.

1 month later
#5077 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Starting to think this is going to happen regardless. Sorry it is happening to you.
I have ghosting and chipping in the outhole, shooter Lane & side saucer. Stern is not replacing. Guess who I am not buying NIB games from in the future.

That's crazy you have all those issues and you can't get on the list...I would be on the horn daily till they did. Not cool or acceptable.

2 weeks later
#5225 7 years ago
Quoted from phyreteam:

16 Games/66 balls on a Premium, playfield date stamped Dec-07/2016.

Wow ghosting at that date....No wonder they are not swapping them all out now they do not have the fix and they sure in the heck don't want to have to swap multiple times.

1 month later
#5661 7 years ago
#5663 7 years ago
#5668 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

To those saying all is well... are we reading the same forum?
A local guy received a MET maybe a month ago with a very very recent PF & he already has insert ghosting & flaking clear
Another dude's replacement PF began ghosting & flaking within days.

This is what is keeping me from buying right now.

#5676 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

so I got my GB Premium in September 2016 and the playfield is superb, no chipped clear, no ghosting. (touches wood).

Still seems like a crap shoot...surprised to see Aerosmith playfield ghosting but maybe these were made in 2016?

#5738 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You mean 10K like the TBL that you have on order that you'll probably never recieve from a company that is brand new in the business? You of all people should be ok with that seems like. Talking smack is talking smack, doesn't matter what the reason is. I talk smack about a certain company because their games are horrible imo, and you talk smack on Stern because their quality sucks. Those guys at Stern have been in the business for 30, 40, 50 years. They are why pinball is what it is and they are the same guys who are responsible for making it possible for us to be able to even buy a NIB pin today, but instead of support them you decide to trash them publicly. I'm actually ok with it though because it is what it is and they probably deserve some of the backlash they are getting, but YOU need to not be such a hypocrite about it.

I think he got in at $8500

#5795 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

yeah wheres KPG at ?.

Think he is a bit burned out on Pinside. Some of his posts alluded to that he needed a break.

1 week later
#5880 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Come now who-dey, you've been apart of our GOT kicks ass thread. The game is in dire need of bug fixes, sound queues, and polish. Yes, GOT needs code. Got code?
Aerosmith is bad but it's new so I give it a pass, and it is good for out of the gate code.....oh wait, given stern history and non-Lyman games not getting proper follow up code updates, you can probably go ahead and add Aerosmith to this list in a few months when it's still suffering.
I don't know enough about GB to comment, but it has good art so it must not need anymore code updates.
BM66.....good thing they overpriced these. I just hope Lyman nails it out of the park SOON.....so he can go work on something more meaningful.
Yea, stern code still suffers. Not much has changed from the day of $6200 premiums to $6800 premiums. But, they put out the best themes with the quickest turn around, so really - who needs code?

Aerosmith code is bad? This isn't good as I was under the impression that it was code complete because of the Stern release delay. Would love to here more about the problems with this code if you could expand on it.

#5898 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Ok, then you haven't kept up fully. That's fine, but don't criticize people who have a right to be upset by a company's terrible quality control and cost cutting on premium-priced products. With all the time I've already spent fixing out-of-the-box issues (it was really messed up and definitely left the factory untested), I think I have justification to be bugged by being asked to wait an indeterminate amount of time when the game won't be playable.

I have kept up and I don't believe there has been a single case that someone received a populated playfield first. If so please link to the post.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.95
$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballlew.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious?tu=pinballlew and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.