Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nowakster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4669 7 years ago
Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

Latest update on production received earlier:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Ladies & Gentlemen,
I am again writing to update you about our production plans. August was our largest month of production for a decade.
We plan to produce games or have in stock games as follows:
Available now in the USA
Star Trek Pro and Premium. Last call. Our license to manufacture is expiring.
Kiss all versions, but not many
WWE
TWD Premium
September in the USA
Ghostbusters Premium – fill many backorders
Spiderman VE – fill many backorders
TWD Pro – fill back orders, some more available
GOT Pro – fill most backorders
Whoa Nellie – fill backorders
October in the USA
Ghostbusters Pro – fill back orders, some more available
Ghostbusters Premium – fill most backorders
Spiderman VE – fill back orders, some available
Metallica Pro – fill back orders, some more available
Whoa Nellie – some available
November in the USA
Ghostbusters Premium – fill back orders, some more available
Metallica Premium Monsters – fill back orders, some available
GOT Pro and Premium - some available
Batman66 – LE’s and some Premium
Best regards
Gary
Gary Stern
President
Stern Pinball, Inc.

How about a new update here!

#4699 7 years ago

how many good machines did they make compared to the number of bad? I wonder if we have a witch hunt personality here on pinside where a bad apple spoils the bunch with regard to the perception of these issues... I think the consensus is that if Stern shared ANY info it could help to stop the speculation going on.

#4753 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

My dad always said to believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

We must have the same dad. lol

#4794 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Playfields have not been fixed, this according to Stern three weeks ago, and they haven't announced a resolution since. If you don't wish to gamble $6k / $8k /$10k / $12k / $15k on a new Stern with possible clearcoat issues, put your money away in the sock drawer and walk away until the end of 2016 to insure all ghosts have been busted.
I'd be more concerned about excessive bubbles occurring on some inserts, making them look crappy. That may have been a few bad batches of inserts or it may be still be a valid concern, but you don't want that, and Stern won't acknowledge it is even an issue. Anyways you asked for a status on Stern's manufacturing process and an opinion on buying a new one, and now you have one.

Where is the stern statement from three weeks ago? A friend of mine got a premium and reports no issues

#4806 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

so via Martin at Pinball News he posted a picture that I thought was interesting. Churchill are indeed now making play fields for stern again, when they are assembled into machines who knows but apparently Stern used a company called Fun and thats when the problems started. Here is a picture Martin took at Churchill with a well known play field Lets hope this is the beginning of the end of this shit.
So we know there are atleast two suppliers now.

Thanks for sharing!

#4813 7 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Thanks for posting, I think I am going to hold off on getting a game until the "Fun" brand PFs are gone and all are Churchills again, but that means waiting for current stock to run out and my dist getting a "fresh" order. It may have been discussed before, but does anyone know how to distinguish a Churchill PF from a Fun one, other than the obvious ghosting and chipped clear

all the machines are made to order. The only 'stock' would be at the stern factory and I doubt they would knowingly use bad playfields.

#4821 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Really? Have you not been paying attention?

I can't find a distributor who actually has them in stock. Can you point me to at least 5 that do?

#4822 7 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

My dealer has a couple in his warehouse. So he has some and who knows what stock Stern has. As far as them not knowingly using bad PFs, as others have said they have been doing just that for a while now, we would have HOPED they didn't, but they obviously have. This is not a new issue, they have known of it, if they wouldn't have knowingly used bad PFs they would have halted production on all new games, which would have been the right thing to do, but we know Stern obviously didn't do that.

I have my suspicion that they slowed ghostbusters production significantly. The random updates from Stern that a distributor posts implied that all orders would have been filled by October and the latest update suggests November is when the orders will be filled. That sounds like a significant slowdown to me.

I was unaware that your distributor had stock. My statement was about premiums being made to order. I saw other folks talking about the machines being made to order. Some distributors risk purchasing a bunch and try to sell those. I haven't been able to find more than 4 that do that. So, that's where I was coming from.

#4828 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Stern will use the shit PFs and worry about replacing the ones that actually go bad later. They will cross their fingers and hope that it doesn't ghost enough for them to have to replace it. They only do what they HAVE to do. Stern is not your friend and they do not care about you or pinball. They care about making money. Do not think for a second they wouldn't pass a turd off on you and hope you wouldn't smell it.

This is probably the most honest assessment I have seen. I think you're right.

1 month later
#5016 7 years ago

I think the community has established that the new playfields are quality...

#5026 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

so one replaced playfield, (not actually inspected yet) and its buy with confidence?
its promising no doubt, long way to go though.

yup. I know some folks who got a new one. No issues so far and we are going on 2 months.

#5029 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

So, I'm curious... how many folks have gotten replacement playfields that have started ghosting?

I think the crickets speak for itself. I know of 2 people who have november builds with no ghosting.

#5057 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

HOW ABOUT ALL THOSE CRICKETS NOW?
Stern doesn't need an army of white knights. Stern doesn't deserve one.

It's nice to have the community speak up now after quite a hiatus. I would love to know the scope of the problem or if we are all just squeaky wheels.

3 weeks later
#5250 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Lawsuit for dimpled playfields? No one ever mentioned that.
Lawsuit for chipping and ghosting playfields? Yes.
Dimples are like suing a car manufacturer for normal wear and tear like worn tires and brakes. Ghosting and chipping would be like suing for shoddy paintwork that chips and fades prematurely, significantly damaging value due to premature failure due to manufacturing defect.
Another thing- there are attorneys who specialize in all areas of the law. Ice and Rob specialize in specific areas not pertinent to this case of the laws protecting consumers, and are likely very experienced and educated in whatever specific laws they deal with.
Look at Lemon Law attorneys.. could they give legal advice on a medical malpractice case? Maybe, but I would take it with a grain of salt.. and they would tell you the same.
I value Stern as a company anywhere from $40-50m, give or take a few million.
There's plenty of incentive for an attorney to take a case like this, as they will attach legal fees onto any suit filed. That's not even a question.
Consumers always get the short end of the stick, and some are fine with that and will come on here and defend the company they buy products from and that's fine. Maybe they haven't been affected and that's good for them. But for those who have been, I'm going to once again see that something is done and made right for us, and that these promises made by Stern actually come through.
As for anyone buying a NIB Stern, just know there has been no evidence they have fixed the playfield issue. Best of luck.

I have seen 2 november builds with absolutely no ghosting. I think they are on the right track of identifying the good playfields.

1 month later
#5618 7 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

We received a replacement playfield for GoT back in August, but the old one is still here in the box and we're waiting for instructions. First we were supposed to get a paid return shipping label, but now it seems we're going to provide "proof of destruction" instead. Might involve drilling at some specified places and returning some key parts. The details are still to be decided. In the meantime we have a great source of replacement parts, so there's that

that's pretty shady.

#5622 7 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

Shady on whose part, and how?

I'm sorry, I read that you were thinking of destroying the playfield and claiming it got damaged in shipping and returned to you. That's what I interpreted so if I am wrong, then there is nothing shady there.

I do think that shipping no matter where you are should be treated fairly. Not quite sure what that means though. I do believe you shouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg for shipping. But to damage a product and lie about how it was done, is plainly unethical. I also understand that putting bad playfields in a box is also unethical but are we really stooping so low as to be an eye for an eye? I hope I am interpreting your original statement wrong.

#5632 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You're being overly sensitive here.
The guy is in norway.. return shipping will be expensive. So they are probably thinking destroying it vs paying to get it back is the better route. Stern just wouldn't want the PF being sold or circulated. They aren't really concerned about the owner getting an advantage of parts... they don't want the owner reselling the parts to avoid abuse and other customers from getting subpar stuff.

That sounds logical. I am mistaken. Thanks for pointing that out. (i'm serious)

#5633 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I interpreted oyvindmo 's post to mean that Stern's original plan for replacement was the bad playfield be returned but now they are considering asking him to destroy it and provide proof of that destruction. If that's the case I would strip everything off the playfield and break it into pieces, keep all the spare parts that Stern doesn't want returned.

Yup, I am mistaken. Thanks for pointing that out.

#5636 7 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

The other guys' interpretation were indeed correct. English isn't my mother tongue, so I sometimes write things in a way which has a slightly wrong ring to it, so to speak. I sincerely apologize for making you look like an over-sensitive twat

lol. yeah it was me. Don't worry about it.

#5672 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

This is what is keeping me from buying right now.

I have personally seen 2 from a november build with absolutely no problems.

#5728 7 years ago

Jody gets a lot of hate on the forums but he really is a very very fun person who has a passion for pinball. I met him on a tour of just me, my wife, and him (Jody). It was a great experience and I got to see the workers doing what they do best. Nobody looked like they hated their job and everyone seemed happy to host me for about an hour or so.

#5775 7 years ago

l love ghostbusters.

#5787 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

yeah wheres KPG at ?.

he got his replacement. So I imagine he is happy now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nowakster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious?tu=nowakster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.