Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider minusworlds.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3487 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Thanks for this man. I hate it when people say this stuff too. I regret posting the pic of my garage, easy for people to make assumptions.
I grew up with nothing. I dropped out of high school at 17 and got my GED to start my career and life early because I wanted to move out and live on my own. I kicked ass with blood sweat and tears to get to where I am now. I don't care how much my cars cost, my home, whatever- $8,000 is a lot of money for a pinball machine, then top that off with $5,000 for a playfield advance is kind of lame. I know what it's like to make a dollar. Nothing changes that- why? I wasn't handed anything in my life. This is hard earned money I'm talking about here, so of course I'm upset at the situation like we should ALL be.
Look, it's just a game.
Sure, I probably shouldn't have posted on here about it right away but I thought I should mention because many of you are following my situation on this thread.
I'm going to work with Gary on this and probably not update details from this point on until things get resolved.
I know this will get worked out. Putting it lightly, I think my issues may just be with the middle man/dealer side at this point so I'll just utilize Gary at this point, I'm sure he's going to make this right.. he definitely seemed like a pretty cool guy.

Good on you man. kpg has not come off pretentious at all so let's lay off some of the comments. Whether anyone has $1M or $1 in the bank is pointless regarding getting the issue fixed. Fronting $5k for the playfield swap is absolute BS. Whatever the Stern "cost", is what should be asked for. $5k is easily 2x cost in my estimate.

#3568 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

If you're worried about it you can always sign up for a 0% introductory card and use it for this very purpose.

I would definitely not suggest doing this unless you plan on using the card for other purposes. Not worth the potential hit to your credit.

#3594 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

One thing is for sure: Stern gets an "F-" for how they've handled this so far... No matter what their warranty is. The notion that they've reached out directly to some customers while completely stonewalling others (like the OP) of this thread is really quite shocking, especially considering the amount of cash paying customers have forked over for a product.
I guess I've been lucky with my own dealings with both Stern and JJP customer service... But this entire period of silence by Stern (and how they've exclusively communicated way more with some customers than others) is like a amateur hour at its finest. No way, no how will I purchase another NIB game from them until I watch their solution rollout - along with how distributors act - in its entirety... And read that new NIB owners are satisfy with post ghost-gate games.
Sterns choice to issue distributors a price floor for sales really rubbed me the wrong way... But this whole recent issue is head turning and quite surprising.

Couldn't agree more.

#3699 7 years ago

It's really great seeing everyone come together (except Stern) to try and solve these problems. We certainly appreciate it folks.

#3762 7 years ago

So we can now officially say they have not fixed the issue. Brilliant

#3786 7 years ago

There is no program. A program is something that is tangible, has been vetted, and has policies and procedures in place. Stated, in writing. What we have is hearsay. Nothing more.

It's a terrible stance from Stern. I am quite sure they are worried about liability which is the reason for silence but they should be MORE worried about their customers. They are pumping out a shit product right now. It hasn't been just the PF's. We are talking about mismatched rails, flawed designs and apparently no QC process in place.

How in the world they sit in silence is beyond me.

#3845 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I wonder if that will cause problems at Expo. It would be embarrassing to have someone bring a playfield to Expo or ask loud questions about clearcoat problems. It's risky to wait till after Expo.

Actually this is precisely what someone should do. Easy enough to get a PF into the expo. Someone with an egregious amount of issues should pull their PF and bring it right to them.

And record it

#3872 7 years ago

Holy cab issues Batman!!

#3925 7 years ago

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

#3941 7 years ago

Seriously? Just tell us what was said or exit the read...

#3961 7 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Just call them and ask like I did.
I was really surprised Gary called me back personally, figured my vm would go nowhere.
Was really impressed actually that he would take the time to call me. After talking to him I felt a lot more confident about my upcoming premium and that if problems did develop with the playfield they would be taken care of and there was a plan in place.

Or you could tell us the content of the conversation. But no, instead you make vague statements and give no actual information or dialogue. Purposely being obtuse. Way to cover Gary and not be helpful to fellow pinheads. Sheep.

#3969 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Why so secretive? Who said it? Much easier to understand what's going on if you reveal what the source is.

Yeah seriously, the ambiguity in this thread is ridiculous.

Doucher - "Oh Gary called me and now I have a boner"
Pinside - "What did he say??"
Doucher - "He was coy. Did I mention my boner?"

#3979 7 years ago

Pretty sure post 3923 was clear...

You're right it was but you never tied that and post 3934 together. And when people repeatedly asked for specifics you ignored them. All you had to do was add verbiage to 3923 saying you talked to Gary and this is what he told you or refer people asking for details to 3923. You had multiple opportunities to do so, but you chose to be obtuse.

#3991 7 years ago

We get it.
Go buy an older game then if nib problems are too much stress for you.

So you an post ad naseum but others can't? There are certainly things/issues to be expected when buying NIB, but what we've seen from Stern lately goes waaaay beyond that. That's great that a call from Gary eased your concerns. That's one person in a sea of many.

#3995 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

So, bottom line is: despite the allegedly call from gary, we still got no concrete info from stern!

I don't think he's lying about Gary calling him. Pretty sure we won't see any actual release from Stern regarding "The Program" tho. Your concerns are more than valid especially since you're not in the States. Some people will continue to purchase NIB and other won't. And that's okay.

I'm just a fan of full disclosure and helping those on the fence to make an educated decision.

#4013 7 years ago

^ This is what you call hitting the nail on the head. What flynnibus said

#4016 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I asked specifically if Pros would get the same consideration as LEs and it did not seem as though they would. This was a conversation with an official Stern distributor.

Oh boy...

#4035 7 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

guys,

my distro exposed his points of view, i exposed mine, we we're not agree but talks remain polite & correct...
and finally, starting from something i was not agreeing, i got : or a 1 VS 1 swap with a new GB, or a full refund
i've gone for another GB
now, this is MY personal story, not something heard somewhere from somebody...
than, i dont know how this could go for each of us, i dont know how others distros will react, and i even more dont know how my distro will react if in X time the 2nd GB is getting inserts/clearcoat probs again !?
for now, my distro lose his money commission on mine GB (which was resold lower to an operator who didnt care of ghosting)
but in the other way, he makes me happy & satisfied, and than keep a futur customer on his side...
end of story (for now)...

Herein lies the problem folks. This isn't Stern standing by their product. This is having a good distro. I'm glad it worked out and thank you for sharing your story but Stern did nothing in this scenario. The distro took back the GB, sold it to an operator and got a new GB for RipelYYY.

Do the math here. Stern did shit but got two sales. Wow...

#4041 7 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

I have purchased 3 NIB Stern last year. A TWD pro, Kiss Le and GOT LE and anyone who has read my threads knows the insane amount of issues right out of box I have had to endure. Luckily I have had only one clear issue on the mini play field of the GOTLE that was replaced. That being said If I bought second hand saving myself a thousand or two I would be deeper in the Hole paying for out of warranty replacement parts. Thankfully I have an amazing distributor, JJ at Game Exchange who takes care of me. Now that I am deployed my pins will sit for a year untouched, and I am hoping and praying that the clear does not have issues and that they turn back on for that matter. I was two seconds away from ordering a GBLE but decided to wait and see after hearing of the SMVE issues with play fields and low and behold GB's were turning up with same issues. It seems like Sterns extremely short Warranty covers their arses enough to get over on these clear issues as they will no doubt arise shortly after warranties start ending. It saddens me to say but I may just have to wait on any more NIB Stern products for the foreseeable future and if I do so will have to make sure I am available to troubleshoot Stern products well in advance of my deployments so that I can utilize their very short warranty. My hats off too all you pinside members who have bought NIB from Stern and have wasted countless hours and days getting multiple warranty work done on something that should have been obviously caught in house at Stern. Best of luck to all those buying NIB from Stern.

Thank you for your service.

It may not be a bad idea to email JJ and Stern letting them know you are being deployed and the pins will sit untouched for some time and you are concerned with the recent issues. At least that way when you come home if there are issues you have a record of the communication. I will say I doubt Stern would leave a serviceman hangin who was deployed.

#4058 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Sold a new pin to the distributor at a reduced cost to replace the damaged one, so he isn't out thousands when he replaced Ripleyyy's machine.
As a business, you wouldn't have any distributors if you made them eat the cost of your (or your suppliers) mistakes.
I have a Pro with ghosting. I am on a 'list' with my distributor. I'm pretty confident my distributor and Stern will make sure I am satisfied.
The hearsay and speculation in this thread about how terrible Stern is with replacing damaged goods is laughable, since all evidence from previous miss steps says otherwise.
Oh, Pinside!

Talk about hearsay...

Nowhere in RipleYYY's reply did he mention Stern stepped up. He said his distro took care of him. You took it upon yourself to make assumptions and then present it as if Stern took care of him...

#4063 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

I'm basing my assumption

Point. Proven.

#4083 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Does Ghosbusters have its game-code all done yet, or just like the majority of Stern latest releases, the code will never be finished?

No it's not completely polished, but as it stands the code is very good and definitely much better than most Stern games out of the box.

#4091 7 years ago

They send you a new populated playfield. Talked to Gary myself.

Oh we know!

#4106 7 years ago

Well it's a lot easier to pump out product when you don't QC it...

#4109 7 years ago

then called stern and received a call back from Gary himself.

You don't say?

#4114 7 years ago

Quoted from extraballingtmc:You can (leave) anytime. Txs. Go find another thread to be a negative bitch in.

Something tells me you'll be the one leaving this thread.

#4146 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I talked to Stern today and im in the program for replacement with 4 ghosted inserts, shooter lane and drain hole clearcoat lifting. I didnt find anything out except im on the list. Im a GB Pro owner

Sorry to hear about the issues but thanks for sharing. I'm glad you were accepted into the program

#4175 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

so what's the magic insert number?

The rumor is that 3 inserts and up get you in the program. But I haven't talked to Gary personally.

#4225 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

I don't see any ghosting on that insert..just reflections

I don't think he was talking about ghosting. There def looks to be other issues with that insert. Hard to tell from the pics tho.

#4227 7 years ago

Venom = Tobin?

#4230 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Or the clear over that insert has not been applied evenly. Should absolutely not see edges around inserts on a brand new game. Maybe a 20 year old game with hundreds of thousands of plays, but not a new one.

The inserts on my TAF looked much better and I dunno how many thousands of games it saw.

3 weeks later
#4440 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

It's based on them using cheap unaged wood ... it's in plain sight.
Even if you choose to ignore the clearly younger, lower grade of wood, what do you think is causing the warping and movement? It's not changes in lunar / solar cycle, I can tell you that much.

Yeah I could see that being the issue for sure. Is it? Who knows, apparently not even Stern.

#4456 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

He has no inside information. He is speculating out his ass.
He is also a Heighway acolyte. He comes in Stern threads and spread FUD.
He has zero credibility.
It is more than fair to call into question his statements.

He's as much anti-Stern as you are pro-Stern. His theory has validity. Younger wood is softer wood. Younger wood is cheaper wood.

#4460 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

But do you know that as a fact is causing the ghosting and chipping issues?
If you're speculating.....say it's your guess.
Don't post it as fact.

It's common knowledge that younger wood is softer. The theory makes sense to me. I'd love to hear Kruzman's or Kruger's take on this theory.

#4463 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

That's not what I'm arguing.
It's posting that this switch has in fact occurred....AND it's causing the ghosting and chipping problem.
If we're speculating, I'd say a switch to a new water-based clear-coat is the culprit, as it has completely different drying requirements.
But that's just speculation on my part. I wonder never go around stating it as fact.

I agree it should not be stated as fact.

#4465 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

It's not just that it's softer, per se (i.e. lower index of hardness), but it's way more prone to movement and warping.

Absolutely.

Also we wood* not have to speculate if fucking Stern would tell us what is up.

*get it?

#4484 7 years ago

So after 90 pages and 10 months I have come to the conclusion that Stern is indeed serious.

#4490 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

But the thread is only 3 months old.
It sure FEELS like it's been 10 months of this though...

The thread is 3 months. The issues go back about 10.

#4492 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Another chipped playfield with ghosting inserts from 8 Sep. -Titan Pinball just got it too.

You're getting dangerously close to losing $50.

Let me ask you this. If Stern fixed the issue as of "mid-September" why in the world would they be using PF's dated Sept 8th that were potential issues if they new the issues would be resolved in a week +/-?

#4494 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I got mine second week of september with a playfield of July 16th.

Which is crap. If what Chambahz is saying is true (highly unlikely) and Stern fixed the issue "mid-September" why continue using playfields that were known to be potentially effected? Why not just wait until you sorted it out and scrap the potential bad eggs?

There are a few potentials answers, most of which don't bode well for Stern.

#4499 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

I will hazard a guess...September 8th is the date of the newest playfields Stern has on hand. The issues are not fixed yet.

But Chambahz has assured us they are!

#4502 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Keep it up fellas. Sept 22nd is the most recent playfield date we've seen. And no complaints from those so far. I wonder how few of them there are though. Tough to really say "no more issues" if like, they only made 4 that day and luckily they're all ok. Then again, I would have expected at least ONE of them to show up with ghosting or cracking. ESPECIALLY since Titanpinball's issues developed within about a day of them getting theirs. The Sep 22nd play fields were received about a week and a half (?) ago now.
Hey MinusWorlds: serious question for you. You're apparently getting yours within the next day or two I believe. Are you buying now, thinking that issues are not resolved, because you have faith in Sterns return policy?
I have one on order, arriving anytime -but I firmly believe that the issues have been resolved.

Mine is about 10ft away from me. Why I went through with the purchase is documented in "Share your info" thread. My distro is a friend of mine. I trust HIM, not Stern.

Now please answer my question. Why would Stern use a PF dated 9/8 if the fix was already known or imminent?

#4503 7 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

He may be right but I don't understand why he would claim the playfield problems were fixed in such a forceful and abrasive manner. I don't think Stern needs people hoping they fail just to prove him wrong.

You are misunderstanding. I don't want Stern to fail. I just dropped a LOT of money on GB. I want them to get back to making a quality product. And to treat their customers better. If you think they are doing those two things now, well I don't know what to say.

#4505 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Well I hope you get one of the good ones. What's the PF date?

Thanks. No idea. Still in the box. I'm scurred to open.

#4519 7 years ago

There's a few reasons I haven't opened it yet:

I'm waiting for my cliffys. I have no self control, none. I don't want one ball to go through without my cliffys
I plan to resell it NIB for 10k monies at Christmas
I haven't decided where it's going

And most importantly Wednesday is date night with my special lady friend. I didn't get it home until about 5 and she was coming by soon. I usually only see her once a week so she gets my undivided attention (unless she falls asleep, then I can post here). Hence my 4hr hiatus.

#4528 7 years ago

Making playfields is hard

#4538 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Best PF i ever had was my LOTR LE, it looked the same 5 years later, very minor dimpling

Welp, to be fair Stern was still using Churchill then and they extra cleared LOTRLE.

Oh my how things have changed...

#4539 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

There's another 9/8 playfield with ghosting and cracked clear in the shooter lane now after 104 plays. So that's two of the US premiums confirmed to have issues since they started shipping again.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-premium-share-your-info/page/15#post-3381643

You guys are going to make me open this bitch aren't you?

#4545 7 years ago

I've been completely calm and docile until now. However, this is complete BS. Look at the pic from yesterday and the one from today. Clearly no ghosting yesterday, but today...

IMG_3556 (resized).JPGIMG_3556 (resized).JPG

IMG_0900 (resized).JPGIMG_0900 (resized).JPG

#4547 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Oh Shit! Stern Box Recall! Damn Ghosts!
Who you gonna call?

Based on the stories...I should mount up with Vid, Beetlejuice and Bobo. Or whatever the f*ck their names are.

#4554 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Who is making the pf's

IMG_0901 (resized).JPGIMG_0901 (resized).JPG

#4563 7 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Warning. This post contains factual, first-hand information.
I spoke to Stern technical support today regarding two of my pins with documented playfield issues (pictures/serials, etc. previously sent to distro & Stern). I had been leaving messages for about three weeks and received a call-back today. In today's message I mentioned I'd like to talk to them before I arrive this week for the factory tour. Received a call-back within an hour.
Oct 2016 - Jan 2017 GB (all flavors) playfield issues will be dealt with.
Jan 2017 onward SMVE (one of my machines) and others will be handled.
If you have issues with your pin(s) purchased NIB make sure both Stern & your distro has all the relevant information on file.
Hopefully I'll have more specifics after this week's visit.

Thanks for sharing

#4606 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

is this already ghosting?
brand new latest produced GB Prem

Sure is, sorry. Can you tell us the playfield date please?

#4611 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

Date is Not important
Nothing is fixed at stern

The date is important.

#4614 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

It isn't ... we established long ago that these aren't errant batches. It's a systematic problem ... and as he correctly states, nothing's fixed.

Come on man/woman (sorry don't know your gender). We have been tracking dates for months. Of course it's important. And as far as I knew all the overseas GB Premiums were August or earlier runs. We're simply asking for the actual date. I'd be upset too if this were my machine but help the community out here and let us track this accurately. I appreciate your tenacity but let's have some semblance of constructive feedback.

#4624 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

That pen scribble is the PF date.
The trend of pen written dates vs stamped dates on the pf and having ghosting issues seems to be a connection.
My guess and only a guess is that stern has at least 2 different manufacturers of the playfields. One uses a pen and one uses a date stamp.
Does anyone with a written date on the playfield have no issues ???

Unfortunately we have also seen one with both a stamp and hand-written. Mine is without issues with 9.20 hand-written. But it's brand new.

#4647 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

the only nr i can find is 823 with a pen
its realy hard to notice
will watch it the next weeks
all others are perfect

That is it. Thank you!

1 week later
#4799 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Playfields have not been fixed, this according to Stern three weeks ago, and they haven't announced a resolution since. If you don't wish to gamble $6k / $8k /$10k / $12k / $15k on a new Stern with possible clearcoat issues, put your money away in the sock drawer and walk away until the end of 2016 to ionsure all ghosts have been busted.
I'd be more concerned about excessive bubbles occurring on some inserts, making them look crappy. That may have been a few bad batches of inserts or it may be still be a valid concern, but you don't want that, and Stern won't acknowledge it is even an issue. Anyways you asked for a status on Stern's manufacturing and opinion on buying new today, and now you have it.

You must have missed it, chambahz said there are no issues after Sept 1st, Sep 3rd, Sept 8th, mid-September , never mind.

#4804 7 years ago

Wow

"It's not that bad"
"Game operators never cared about it before"

Yes it IS that bad

And you aren't selling BDKVE66' to operators...nor the majority of your LE's. So maybe it's time you start caring more about quality. His dismissveness is actually kinda sad. Talk about a complete disconnection.

#4808 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

so via Martin at Pinball News he posted a picture that I thought was interesting. Churchill are indeed now making play fields for stern again, when they are assembled into machines who knows but apparently Stern used a company called Fun and thats when the problems started. Here is a picture Martin took at Churchill with a well known play field Lets hope this is the beginning of the end of this shit.
So we know there are atleast two suppliers now.

How can this be, Gary said himself NOTHING changed in the process several times. Weird...

10 months later
#6517 6 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

So can you guys educate me on this playfield manufacture date thing I keep seeing. I guess I am asking, between when and when did these questionable fields get produced? And, is there a time frame that existed where the quality was good without issue? I plan to check the date as soon as I open the box and I just want to know if I'm safe in terms of whatever the date is on my field.

The issues really started in early to mid 2016. However they still continue today so I wouldn't look too much into the date. The good news for you is Metallica doesn't seem to be heavily impacted. Issues tend to be higher on certain games.

#6519 6 years ago
Quoted from JoeyItaliano:

HERE HERE!
I have held back ALL Stern purchases! I refuse to let emotion get the best of me. Look at the MMR remake and now Attack from Mars, give other company's a chance to gain a chunk of the market and offer some healthy competition, the three versions have noticeable upgrades. Chicago Gaming is putting quality products out there---they also used to make things for Stern but not anymore. Keep your money in your pocket!!

Stern made MMr...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

6,575 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.95
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider minusworlds.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious?tu=minusworlds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.