Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metahugh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Many of you, including the OP, are reacting as if his pin had a catastrophic failure. A bit of insert ghosting, or whatever the term is, isn't ideal but it happens.
Have we all turned into perfection-damanding, diaper-wiping, sit-and-stare collectors these days or are we still about playing pinball?

When the OP goes to sell this someday, maybe he'll get $200 less. Hit up Stern for a couple hundred bucks worth of swag and get back to playing your pin.

I wouldn't even consider buying this game with this playfield issue. If they were all like that then there is no issue but it's clear not all SMVE's have this problem.

A game with a nice PF is only worth $200 more to you? It would cost so much more than that to buy another playfield and swap it in.

These games are super expensive nowadays. They need to be much higher quality to be worth the price of admission.

#368 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I always suggest you put Mylar down in the shooter lane.
It's the first thing to show wear on any pin.

You have to admit, that wear is extremely excessive for such a new game. My Stern Spiderman which was on route for years before I bought it doesn't have clear coat wear like that.

#701 7 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

You must have slept through the decades of clearcoat adhesion problems for both GM and Ford. I don't recall any compensation for the cars I owned that faded/bubbled/peeled. They were all out of warranty.. just like your NIB playfield.
And, as I pointed out previously, you can go to the dealership today and find plenty of cars with orange peel. I don't see GM stripping and repainting any of the corvettes coming off the line with orange peel... and a lot of those are special ordered as well. I wonder how many special order cars are rejected because of paint issues.

Quoted from SadSack:

I've bought over a dozen cars that paint fell off when they were 4-6 years old

Both of your statements above are referring to products that are not brand new. Out of Warranty = Old. You aren't making fair comparisons to get your point across. These games are defective right out of the box.

You can't compare orange peel to ghosting, they are two completely separate issues. Orange peel can be buffed out by a competent detailer. Ghosting cannot. If you purchased a brand new car and noticed an issue with orange peel the dealer can take care of it. You discover ghosting on your pinball playfield and it's like pulling teeth to get a timely resolution if you receive a resolution at all.

The whole car analogy is just not a fair comparison. Trying to compare the two is difficult because there are so many differences: One product is mass produced and the other is not. Sure Stern makes a decent number of games but they will never hit the same production numbers car companies do with their product. Shoot, even Mitsubishi makes more cars than Stern makes games! One of the primary reasons why car analogies fail is due to the fact that you can inspect a new car before purchase but you can't do the same with a pinball machine. Many analogies are not fair to Stern, for example someone tried to compare issues with their Xbox 360 and a Stern pin. This is yet another product that is completely different and not a good basis for an analogy. Sure, some basic quality control and customer service points can be valid but only to a limited degree.

I am wondering what the source of the problem is. On one hand it is alarming to me that these games made it out the door at all. On the other hand, what if somehow the ghosting wasn't present at the time of inspection. Could it be the fact that their games are laying down during production and inspection but once they get packaged up and make the trip to the consumer the issue presents itself then? Maybe the heating/cooling/expansion/contraction of the materials, plus the excessive vibration during the trip, along the fact that the game is standing vertically causes a mechanical separation of the clear from the plastic inserts?

I have never seen this many reports of ghosting. This ghosting issue, to the degree we are seeing in these pictures, is unprecedented. I don't think anyone is expecting a 100% flawless game, but issues that could have easily been caught on the manufacturing floor should have been caught and remedied. Unfortunately Stern won't communicate and put some of the fears to rest.

To the point about ghosting being on every game, that is simply untrue. It may happen on a measurable number of games but it sure doesn't occur on all of them. I was just looking over my games and I do see some ghosting on my Stern Spiderman, but only on the edges of a few inserts and that game has had many thousands of plays and is almost ten years old. The rest of my games do not have any noticeable ghosting. If they ghost down the line after many years of use that isn't completely unexpected, but for them to ghost before they are even unboxed, that isn't acceptable.

I hope Stern sorts this out because I want a Ghostbusters!! Just not right now and most likely not NIB.

#703 7 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

I'm pretty sure, they didn't leave the factory with ghosting inserts.
What I'm really afraid of is that the inserts are moving up too. I can feel them and I can see the reflections on the playfield. That'll be hotspots for the clear to chip off, presenting bare plastic/wood and then serious wear will occur.
After 6 days in, I can confidently say that... Also talking to Henrick who also did quite a few restores - no offense, vid

If the inserts weren't properly adhered that would definitely cause this problem.

#1014 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I wasn't expecting 80% and The Verge is a trusted source of information.

Quoted from Dankburg himself. Did he lie or are you saying The Verge is committing libel?

#1028 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I'm just saying the Verge is a trusted source of information. They would be liable if they published something that was not said or is not true. If Dankburg said it, then they have every right to publish it.

You know what, I completely misread your post LOL.

Move along

#1043 7 years ago
Quoted from TheZohan:

So the Verge was told 80%. I personally am suspect of that as I believe Stern never releases any accurate figures about anything to the public at large

Just stating 80% doesn't tell you the actual numbers it's based on so it doesn't really tell you much more than confirm the fact the home buyers account for the majority of sales.

Location pinball for the most part is dead so it's good for Stern that there are so many home buyers.

#1044 7 years ago

People are going to believe what they want to believe regardless of how much evidence you present to them. Unfortunate it is.

1 week later
#1340 7 years ago

I played a GB pro at Nickelrama in Garland, TX today and the playfield looks pretty good. I see two inserts with some minor insert edge ghosting. Pics attached.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 149.00
7,600 (OBO)
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metahugh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious?tu=metahugh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.