Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manimal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#391 7 years ago

Would relief cuts formed around the inserts make any difference? Or would it just open up a new can of issues?

#414 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I would not do that.
Even if the entire insert ghosts, the clearcoat is so clear that it will not interfere with you playing and enjoying the game at all.
But if you make relief cuts, the whole thing could chip off......

I wasn't thinking about cutting them...but rather something done in the clearcoat process itself, more like a cookie-cutter approach with the soft clear applied. I thought about it the same as what is done with concrete....the relief channels give it a natural path to crack when expansion and contraction takes place.

#416 7 years ago

Probably the best thing one can do to lessen the chance of ghosting is to keep the pin in as stable an environment as you can. Keep away from windows, sunlight, garages, exterior walls, etc, and keep the temp at a constant. Basements are good to regulate temperature, but they are notoriously humid, so run a de-humidifier unless yours is abnormally dry. Best place in a home is probably near the center of the ground floor. I have several antique games with doors that will stick if the humidity gets too high, and in turn will show gaps if the humidity is low. I run a dehumidifier in the summer, and a humidifier in the winter to keep everything at an even humidity level.

Vid can chime in here, but I am guessing one reason we see this so much more these days is because home machines are constantly turned off and on. (Hot/Cold Cycles) Pins on location are turned on constantly, and therefore they are at a more constant temp. Even LED's do put off some heat.

#427 7 years ago
Quoted from LadySlingshot:

This is a pinball machine. You make it sound like we're trying to keep a fish alive. It should not happen period.

Ha.....If it were a fish tales. then I would agree...lol

I'm not saying it should happen, I am just saying a temp and humidity stable environment is the best chance to keep it from happening or at least from getting worse, and why not do what you can to protect yourself? I am no expert on playfields, but I have to imagine it is hard to get the clear to properly adhere to plastic inserts. It may not be the clear they are using....maybe the makeup of the inserts changed and caused the issue....truth is none of us know for sure. We all know how hard it can be to glue anything plastic and have it stay for any length of time, so this has got to be an ongoing challenge, especially when they are not doing the playfields themselves. If it is not separating when it goes down the line, how is QA supposed to know it is going to happen and reject it? If we told them to keep the playfields for another 2 months and let them cure, then everyone would be screaming because they are behind. I am NOT saying it is right or acceptable, and I am not saying it isn't either......I am merely saying it can't be easy, and tact and conversation work better than torches and pitchforks....or even porches and titchforks.

#428 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

We are talking about pinball machines, here... correct?
This reminds me of thread a year or so ago where someone said they wear disposable rubber gloves while they play their pins.
I get the OP's frustration...big money is involved and that causes passions to run high... but you have to remember these games are coin-operated amusement equipment. They are meant to go in locations and earn money. That means being moved around, put in bars, slapped around, picked-up and moved, placed near windows, in hot rooms, cold rooms, near bathrooms, in high traffic areas, and places where kids will stick gum under the cab. They aren't manufactured to be cocooned in bubble wrap and placed in a vault with million dollar works of art.
Buying NIB is a total luxury...100%... it's not a requirement. I'm not suggesting that manufacturing flaws should be acceptable...but, at some point that sum of money that you've plopped down for one of these machines has to be an assumed loss. Life happens.

Wasn't suggesting the rubber glove treatment...merely saying if you want to lessen the chances or amount of damage, a controlled environment is best. I had a friend who had one of those inflatable bubbles he would park his Harley in that circulated air around the bike and controlled the humidity. Maybe one of those would work for my pins.......lol

#440 7 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

Just to dispell a myth being put forth over and over. While having a controlled environment for a pinball machine is a good thing, don't think for a moment that that will prevent the kind of insert delmaination occurring on Stern fields. That is 100% a manufacturing process problem stemming from improper methods/materials used to construct the field. There is probably little to nothing that a person with such a field in their machine can do to prevent the problem short of swapping in an entirely new field that doesn't have the issue. The mechanical/chemical bond between the insert and the underside of the clear WILL fail over time with normal use on such fields, plain, simple and tragic.
Almost every pf manufaturer has faced it at some point, ESPECIALLY new ones. It is in fact rocket science. The manufactuer I've worked with spent years tweaking/perfecting their process, and the secrets they developed didn't come easy or cheap.
I had heard rumors that Stern was making changes to who built their fields. Clearly they have an issue with the new production process/vendor.
-Jim

I don't think anyone said controlled environments will prevent this from happening. It just stands to reason there will be less change over time in a controlled environment. Yes, there is a problem if they are ghosting this quick, and stern needs to figure it out. But sitting a pin in a damp basement, or a hot/cold garage will not make the problem any better.......

#571 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

You see, this perfectly illustrates the issue:
Picture of the kind of gradual, graceful clearcoat/playfield wear you would expect a pinball machine to exhibit after thousands of plays:

Picture of Stern's crap-tastic chippy playfield clearcoat after a few dozen plays:

That clear will chip off completely in no time if not covered with mylar immediately.
And it's happening on every non-flat surface on the table, drain hole, MET Mystery hole, etc.
Does anyone really still think there's not an issue here??

I don't think anyone said there isn't an issue. Some said "accept it and play" and others want a new game and replacement storm windows on their house. I'm guessing the real solution is somewhere in between....but for the record, I think everyone agrees there is an issue....any guess at the cause is just that, a guess.

1 month later
#1505 7 years ago

I think everyone agrees there is an issue with these games, and the disagreement is whether or not it is acceptable. There are folks on both sides, and I respect that. But let's change gears a bit and talk about the actual post and why Stern has not responded to the OP. Whether you agree or disagree that the ghosting is acceptable is irrelevant. There are a lot of examples posted about how their customer service folks have gone above and beyond to help out various customers, when the process is handled in a calm and professional manner. Now I will admit, the only one with all of the details is the OP, so I am just going by what is being posted, but to start a thread which calls out the company, and to immediately start dragging them through the mud on a public forum, is not the way to get them to help you. We now have 30 pages of complaints, opinions, and threats of legal action. Stern is in a "no-win" situation here, and what is an issue that they probably would have addressed with each buyer individually, has now become a social media spectacle that they can't touch with a 10ft pole. Some of you will argue that the post "got Stern's attention" and alerted the other buyers to the problem....and there is probably some merit to that argument. But the company would have investigated a complaint through normal channels, and would have figured out they had an issue just the same. As to the players, at this point the ghosting is a cosmetic issue and doesn't affect play, so who knows whether most folks would have even noticed the problem or cared. (Note: When I say "cosmetic", I am only referring to the ghosting, and not things like cracked or raised inserts).

In this instant age, we expect answers fast. There is going to be a delay, from the time something like this is reported, until you get an answer. Set aside the fact that you are in a different country and dealt with your distributor.....the first reaction from Stern (and a natural one) is going to leave them more concerned about their company as a whole, rather than your one piece. They are going to start inspecting playfields, opening boxes and checking completed machines, calling their playfield folks and trying to determine what the problem is and how widespread it is. Then they will get back to addressing the initial complaint. Obviously, there are a lot of games out there with the issue, and like I said, Stern is in a bad spot here. Since this has gone out on a public forum, they must assume anything they do will get criticized, and anything they don't do will get criticized. If they give you a new playfield....everyone and their dog is going to be lining up at their door for a new playfield for every little chip, scratch, nick, or color variation they can find, else they will start their own thread about how Stern "Jobbed" them. They are already getting roasted here, and even if the do "something" they are still going to get roasted, so why do anything? Especially when threats of legal action have started? Most companies go "hands off" of any complaint when that talk starts, since they don't want to do anything to jeopardize their position.

So I am NOT saying you don't have a valid complaint, and maybe you did do a service to the industry by posting what you found. Some will say yes, and some will say no. What I am saying, is you may have hurt your chances of them helping you in the process. I hope you get some satisfaction along the line. As others here have said, our only real weapon for change is not to buy...but something tells me there will be plenty of folks lined up at the next announcement.

#1573 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Ok somewhat familiar now (from looking at their manual PDF's). Power supply looks custom and the switch appears to be separate, not built into the supply.
That being said the switch feeds more than just the power supply, it also sends line power to the bill acceptor and a power distro connector in addition to the power supply connector.
So... A mod still easy enough but not plug and play. Also since they are running line power into the cabinet anyway (for bill validator) the reasoning that line power might get pinched is also out the window.

They supply the power cable for the bill validator with the unit, but you have to route it yourself if you want it in there. All of the power components are in the head, including the connection on the back for the power cord. Very clean, and I see why they did it, in order to keep the components together. Lower failure rate, and easy replacement. The power switch is easy to reach and not an issue.

As a side note...remember back when all we had to freak out about were the magnetic slings? Yea...good times....lol

#1699 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I wouldn't directly compare Stern's flawed business model with that of modern video game developers, but I'm seeing some similarities. Especially with the consumer base's habit of blindly preordering new titles and a repeated bait and switch outcome with all the QA issues.
» YouTube video

While I agree this is a QC issue that needs to be fixed, and hopefully already has......I don't think it is quite a "bait and switch" type of situation. Stern is working to address the problems, and I am sure they did not want these going out, especially with the uproar they have caused. The problem started to appear after most, if not all, of the foreign models were shipped. We have no idea of the internal conversations, the QC process, etc. I doubt they left the line with the separation, and Stern cannot predict the future, so I do believe they were sold in good faith. So not really advertising one thing and knowingly selling another. Now with all of that said, they will be judged on how they rectify the situation with people. They really need to step up and start communicating, however, given the animosity and fact anything they say will be blasted out to the masses, I can kind of understand why they are staying mum right now. They are in a bad spot....yes, they made the spot, but I doubt it was a conscious decision on their part.

#1720 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

And who told you this ?
Not one word from stern . It's been going on long enough to release some type of statement, yes ?

I agree in the communication...if it were my business, I would be issuing some sort of blanket statement.

I'm basing my comment on the fact they stopped the LE's from going down the line, and they obviously pulled and replaced a lot of playfields. As an example, my playfield was produced long after the cabinet, and we saw non-export models going down the line many weeks before any were ever shipped. I'm sure once the reports came in, they started un-boxing and looking a lot closer at the playfields. This is just an educated guess on my part, but I do believe they feel they fixed whatever was causing the issue the separation...else they would not have released any more LE's. Whether they did fix it or not is still up in the air, but so far (with my fingers crossed), my LE is fine.

#1725 7 years ago

Do we even know for sure that any of the US GBLE's have ghosting? I have seen a post where someone said he knew folks in America that claim to have issues, but I don't think I have seen a post from anyone here in the US with a Ghost Busters LE that is separating. I have seen Spiderman, and several others, but not GB from these last shipments. Granted, I don't read every post, so I may have missed something. I am not talking poll here....I am saying actual pictures?

#1732 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

A few folks in Toronto Canada with LE's received just two weeks ago have started ghosting.

Do we know production dates? These could have been held in customs, or produced early and shipped later. I would be really interested to see anyone with the issue in the late July playfield run. So far I haven't seen any....but of course it may be just because they are new. It will take a few weeks/months to be sure. They have done nice playfields in the past, so it should be a fairly easy problem to correct. May have been something as simple as some silicone or other contaminant on the insert, or a bad batch of insert glue. But then again, I will admit I know nothing about playfield production................

#1745 7 years ago

Like my first Police Chief told me my fist day on the job....."Just remember, it takes 10 'Atta-boys' to equal 1 'Oh-Shit'........."

#1747 7 years ago

I don't think they have started doing their own quite yet. They indicated they were moving that way, but that it would take time to get production in order.....like close to another year.

1 week later
#2048 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Hehe, yep, we'll have some fun with this. I'm prepared for the "you dumb ass I told you so speech!"
I'm gonna post pics from the unboxing through the whole ghosting process.

I have faith in you Iceman....my LE build was mid-July. A few hundred plays, and so far no insert ghosting that I can find......knock on wood. I am betting there are a lot more good playfields out there. Those folks are just too busy playing the game and having fun, and don't have time to come here and post how great things are.....lol

#2170 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

If they acknowledge it publicly they will have to fix it which will cost them. I suspect they are weighing the cost of fixing it (fessing up) vs the cost of lost sales by pretending it is not a problem. A lot of people are still ignorant about this or will ignore it. If they are still getting orders my guess is they will not admit there is a problem. They will only do so if it hits their bottom line in declining sales. They know all they need to do is say "star wars' and people will go nuts.

End result is there is little customers can do, outside of a civil action. You have to be careful with public statements which could hurt their business and give them ammo to go after you. The T-shirt would likely be a borderline tactic at best. All they need is one exaggeration, false statement, etc, and you will get served. If they really do choose to ignore the problem as most people think, the answer is a collective suit, so a judge can decide if customers are entitled to some remedy for the ghosting.

#2192 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I can't imagine there is any legal action the customer can do that would result in a positive result for the customer. The warranty clearly states what is covered. The game is playable even with ghosting inserts. The only way to influence is with your wallet.
I'm really interested to hear if they've changed the clear coat to water-based.

No idea on the water-based clear, so I am as interested as you.

As to the possibility of legal action...you can sue anyone for just about anything. And you are partially correct, in that your only other remedy is to vote with your wallet. But that only hurts the company later, and does nothing to fix the issue at hand...which makes a civil case the only binding action. There are a lot of laws out there that trump anything they print on a piece of paper, and there is nothing saying what they wrote is legal, enforceable, and concrete. It is just something they wrote......probably with the help of some attorney, and the letter is nothing more than his opinion. But the law of "common sense" and "reasonable expectation" would come into play. IF, and I mean a big "IF" the ghosting were determined to be a flaw that the company should have prevented, then the court would probably say something to the effect that "regardless of what you print, the customer pays 8K and reasonably expects a clear-coat that will not immediately separate and chip from the playfield". This would be beyond normal wear and tear, and the court would ask buyers be compensated somehow. The real power in this method is that it would probably be addressed in mediation, and well before it ever got to court, in order to avoid the negative publicity.

But......for all of this to work, it needs to be a determined flaw, and you need a group of solid, sane, and even-tempered folks to take up the cause.

#2254 7 years ago
Quoted from AstonEnthusiast:

Just unboxed our GBLE and have several immediate issues. Ghosting on the PKE inserts, slimer smashes into undesirable mechs on the play field and someone scratched the shit out of the play field prior to shipping. It's covered in scratches. Absolutely unacceptable and thanks KPG for the reassuring words. Sent info to distributor and Stern awaiting a reply on next steps to resolve.

Interesting...would like to see photos and date on playfield.

I received my GBLE in the 3rd week of July, and so far so issues, so I was hoping they had corrected the problem. But based on some other postings, I am starting to think that may not be the case.

#2341 7 years ago

Manufacture date is July 14. Play field date is July 7. Distributor has been super awesome, and have not received a response from Stern yet after submitting a video of Slimer tripping over the play field like a drunk high school kid under the bleachers.
No rusty balls used by me. Threw out the crap Stern balls and used Silverjets from day one. I would imagine during the testing and burn in phase they used some crap balls and an abrasive towel or buffing compound during manufacturing resulting in the scratches.
One would think that Stern would knock it out of the park on any machine, let alone LE's that are cleared with JT's signature.
The game is a blast, but want to hold off on adding any mods until I understand what the solution will be. Anything short of a populated play field swap would be no bueno IMO.

Went back and looked. My PF date is also the 7th.....no ghosting that I can find so far.

#2443 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Except Ice.
He's an idiot

Just a game......yes it is expensive, but I have lost more money than this in a day. I love watching all of the folks here who get bent out of shape by what other people do with their money and property. I for one am playing the hell out of my game, and if it develops ghosting, I will send my distributor an e-mail. If they fix it, great....if they don't, then I am going to keep on playing. If I had bought it as an investment, then I would never have unboxed it. Pretty much NOTHING discussed here on Pinside, means anything in the end....so have fun, and don't give a crap what someone else does....................

#2445 7 years ago

And on that note, we should just close this thread......we still don't know if Stern is serious, but at this point......who cares!

#2457 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Dear Stern
Manimal is OK with shitty NIB games.
Sincerely
PW79

Gotta love it. For the record, I don't think one issue makes it a shitty game. The problem will get figured out, and if not, I am not going to loose sleep over it. I know hundreds of folks, alive and dead who would love nothing better than to come home today and see an insert problem on their new pin. So yea, maybe I am OK with a shitty game............

#2490 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I have stories to tell too but I don't bring that shit here.
Its a pinball forum. Not whatever "this" is.
So although I appreciate your service (I really do) I don't think gory details about XYZ are relative to pinball inserts.

Not saying any of my experiences have anything to do with inserts....quite the opposite. What I was trying to convey, without giving the details you mention, is that there are a whole lot more important things to be worrying about in life. I'm sure there are a lot of guys here who served overseas or even locally with more baggage than me.....and we come here to have fun and play pinball as you mention. Ghosting inserts are just a bump in the road.......All is good

#2499 7 years ago
Quoted from Bing_Party:

A pinball forum with this topic is meant for discussing issues with stern pinballs. This is where you go to complain about issues on these machines and it brings the attention to Stern. So for someone to lecture that there is other more important things to life is a little strange(thanks captain obvious). In other words take those stories to a forum dedicated to that. Not trying to be mean just realize it's a forum on a topic so stay on topic. It's not life and death but it helps me make a decision on a premium I have on order. Ghosting is nasty if clear starts cracking

Wasn't lecturing....another party took a comment and exaggerated that to post how I was OK with a shitty game. I don't like problems any more than the next person, and when mine starts ghosting, I will add my name to the line of folks waiting to see what Stern does. However, with that said, I am not going to lose sleep, throw a fit, or go around telling everyone the "pinball sky" is falling. It sucks...yes....but there are worse things in life.

#2533 7 years ago

I agree it sucks, and I am sure mine will be cracking soon. My biggest gripe through this whole mess is that Stern says nothing, which drives all of the rumors and speculation. And yes, I suppose I know they can't say anything due to legal ramifications, but even if they tell us all to piss off, it is better than silence in my books. At least we would know where we stood and what to expect. There I go....that is about as animated as I will get over the subject....lol

#2534 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Is that the squarish outline of mylar on part of that insert? I was thinking of putting mylar on my smve to help prevent the ghosting from getting worse. But if this insert has mylar on half of it, it didnt help at all.

Yep, several of the inserts have mylar applied

#2540 7 years ago

"What I do know is Stern is about to experience a broomstick up their arse, with loss of general sales.
The word is spreading beyond PinSide.
Distributors are trying to calm the waters. "

I agree, and in this case, they have been their own worst enemy. This whole social media experiment is both brilliant and dangerous at the same time.

#2542 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

This is just sh@!t. Point is you want to enjoy your new pinball machine and not see it degrade that fast. You want to play the machine and explore the rule set without being worried about the playfield. Show it to your friends and love the art work, enjoy it, now there is this deafening silence from Stern. I know there will be a solution like Vid1900 says but you just don't want to get into that process. You just want to play it and be excited and wait for a new title to be excited about.....but now it just keeps lingering in my head the whole time......sorry I will get over it I know, but it has already set my mind regarding this company...

You and a lot of others. Don't get me wrong, Stern is going to be feeling this for a long time, and it could be the stuff legends are made of. They need to be careful, because as bad as it is, it can get distorted and twisted into something much bigger, much more sinister, and ultimately something that can kill a company. Reputation is everything, and I am sure there is some arrogance on their part about all of this because they still have a backlog of orders. But that backlog is their making, and once the flood gates open, new sales might just dry up fast. Stern cannot survive in their current state with only route sales. As I have said before, they are in a bad spot......anything (and everything) they do is going to be broadcast to the masses and put under a microscope at the same time. They need to find someone who knows PR and pay them well to straighten this mess out...........

#2548 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Once Stern found out about the issue they should have quit shipping pins made a offically announcement about delays and waited. Now there is a giant mess with 100s of canceled orders and people calling for There heads

To be fair, we don't really know if 100's of orders were cancelled, as there are only a handful here on Pinside who say they have done so. I'm sure their sales have taken a hit, but being as they are the biggest boy on the block in the pinball world right now, it remains to be seen just how big the "mess" really is. For the record, I agree with you that they should have stopped shipping games and come clean with what was happening. The fact they didn't, makes me wonder if this is a lot bigger problem than we know.....meaning, they knew they had an issue for some time but crossed their fingers and kept shoving games out the door. Now those folks are looking at their games and realizing they are ghosting too. If it were just the GBLE, I have to think they would have addressed the issue differently....but then again who knows.

#2551 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Stern are lucky they don't have any sizeable competition, or an issue like this, and more importantly how they have handled it, would do serious damage to a company. The fact it is doing damage without much competition shows how badly it has been managed.
Ironically it's also the lack of competition that has encouraged them to address this issue in such an in such arrogant way.
The days of addressing each issue case by case, behind closed doors, and "don't tell any other collectors about it", are gone. This is going to have to be a blanket fix - it's too widespread.
I still can't believe they haven't publicly addressed it. The whole thing would have been a non issue if they had come out early with a broad statement that they are aware of the problem, they are looking into it, and they will address it. How hard is that?

It's as hard as driving to the courthouse. As Vid pointed out a while back, I am sure they have been advised by legal counsel not to discuss it. Once they publicly acknowledge the issue, they open themselves up for all sorts of claims. I'll even bet when they do start addressing the issue, it will be done verbally, and individually. They don't want to write an email or letter that will make it's way to social media. If I make a post that says they are aware and looking into the issue, they are not liable because they cannot control what I post. If they put something in writing, then folks have a lot of ammo. This goes back to what I said before about social media....people posting about the issue brought it to a head with Stern, and are forcing them to correct it. But the same social media will severely hinder any fix, because they are never dealing with one person anymore....they are dealing with dozens.

#2575 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Official Ghostbusters Pinball "Thinking Cap".
Exclusive offer from Stern, $500.
Limited Edition with extra clear coat coming soon for owners, no charge.

That is some funny stuff right there! lol

#2592 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Does a month of getting the runaround, ignored emails and no offer of a resolution count?

Sometimes, silence is deafening..........

#2600 7 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

OK I now heard rumor that the imported plastics from China had new employees that missed the step of ultrasonic cleaning process. So in bags of a100 inserts they left factory with the mold release agent on. Now while careful wipe down of pf does in fact happen before the paint process it is only IPA as fact that with all the ridiculous EPA laws that is the preferred solvent of choice. But compared to many other solvents really not the solvent to be used. And of course to make matters worse the clear coat does not like to stick to the new plastics which are still outgassing. And that was due to a change in clear coat formula due to more EPA regulations.
Don't be mad at Stern. Be mad at the EPA.
A made up public service message from a fan of imron, lacquer paint, xylene and chrome.

I once outgassed......had to blame it on the dog.

#2673 7 years ago
Quoted from Major-Havoc:

I have yet to see a GB Pro ghost, they haven't made premiums yet. Out of all the ones we have sold only one has started ghosting and it's a GBLE. 5 people with ghosting inserts. We have sold close to 40 GB's and only one so far with issue. Guess we got lucky.
It's not a glue issue as much as it's an issues with the loose fitting inserts. I'm sure Stern will sort this out.

I am going to tend to agree with some of your analysis. I personally talked to 2 other GBLE owners in the last couple of days, one is on Pinside, the other is not. Neither have any issues with their games. One of them said he talked to his distributor within the last week, and they told him they sold over 25 GB games with not one complaint so far. Now I know I have to take his word for that, and it could be the distributor is feeding him bad info, but I really do think some of this is getting blown out of proportion. I have no idea how many games Stern is producing in a week, but they can't stay in business very long with really low numbers. So say they make 150 to 200 games a week......wouldn't it stand to reason there would be a heck of a lot more complaints than there are? Realistically, I've seen a dozen or so with pictures here, and a few folks say they have seen several more in the wild. Even if you triple all of those mentioned, you are looking at less than a week of production. Now that doesn't help those that have ghosting one bit....but I'm betting there are a whole lot more good games out there than bad, and all of this talk of cancelling orders and such is really over the top. Stern has a record of making things right, and this will be no different. As I have said before, this social media is a double-edged sword, and while we are all screaming for them to communicate, that fact we are all collectively :ganging up" here, is exactly why they can't. Not saying we shouldn't be here, just saying it is a reality of the world we live in.

#2683 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

We all know that the distros want to protect their cash cow, so they perpetuate BS about this not being a real issue, or trying to minimize it. People should know better, salesmen will say anything for a sale.
There are many ghosting pics from honest collectors who aren't in the business/trying to profit, they just want a nice pinball machine, as advertised and paid for.

Maybe.....but as I said, I see more claims here than actual pics. And we all know, there is no one here on Pinside that would "perpetuate BS" or blow things out of proportion?

#2684 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

. Is Stern still shipping games knowing that they have the potential to have this issue? Yes.

Interesting statement...do you have any way of actually knowing this for sure? Do you really think they would ship a game if they thought it was going to have a playfield issue? I don't think any of the games with Ghosting, left the factory that way. I'm sure they were trying different things, and each time, I am sure they thought they had fixed the issue. They are not going to knowingly ship a potential liability or PR nightmare. It just happened that way...the expense of saying, "shove them out the door and fix them later" would be monumental. Have games gone out with issues, yes.....do we know if they shipped them knowing they were going to have issues, No. There are many games going out that have no issues at all.

#2687 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Many GBLE owners with ghosting inserts have contacted their distros and are hoping for a resolution.
In fairness to Stern, they aren't going to post pics on a public forum like pinside until they have been denied a solution.

Again maybe....but if you are going that route, you also have to recognize that the folks with no issues are likely not coming here to announce that to the world either. They are too busy enjoying their game.

#2692 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I dont think the problem is blown out of proportion.
If fact if you look closely the issue appears in non insert themed threads.
There's a FS thread here right now where the dude has 3 newer Stern's FS (KISS, SMVE & GOT) and 2 out of the 3 have ghosting!
He's honest about it (good guy) & his case isn't nearly as bad as many others though.
Still... this is really happening.

Never said it wasn't happening, and I never said it wasn't an issue. What I am saying, is that there are probably a lot more games without ghosting than there are with the issue. There are very few uniformed or casual buyers of 7K NIB pins, and pinball is a very small community in relation to a lot of other things. I don't buy the argument that most folks don't know, but I suppose there probably is a small percentage of folks that are disconnected from the world, living on an island, and don't know the war is over yet. I just think if this were happening to even half of the games going out the door at Stern, we would have a major revolt going on.....a lot more than what we see right now. The distros would be screaming bloody murder, and we just aren't seeing that. It is either that, or as I said, folks have the ghosting and just don't care.

#2708 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

you wouldnt be another distributor would you?
theres no ganging up, and its not been blown out of proportion. people just want their issues addressed at some point.
people cancelling orders have a right to, its certainly not over the top... why cant they exercise caution at this present time, given the issues already out there.

Nope, not a distributor, and no connection to one, just a guy that likes to fix mechanical things. I do work in the gaming industry in a roundabout way, but it is all computer systems. My company has no current connection to Pinball...one of our subsidiaries did many years ago, but it was before my time here.

And people can cancel what they want. All I am saying is there is a lot of posting of bad playfields, and the sky is falling, Stern is a mess, etc. But few people are posting the good....mostly because we love controversy. As I said, I know it is an issue, and yes, Stern needs to make it right.....but there are a lot of good units being made just the same. Folks are cancelling orders because of all the doom and gloom, and if you really look at it with an objective eye, it isn't all that bad. The sky is not falling, the sun will come up tomorrow, and folks will line up to buy the next Stern title when announced.

#2710 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

What would be a good solution? It seems like a vast number of pins produced by Stern this year have this problem. Like others said, there are plenty of pinheads who buy games and are not on pinside. It's not like Stern can fix a few games of those that complain the most on pinside and call it done. Shipping out populated play fields for every game would be insanely expensive. Might make sense for games with all inserts ghosting but what about games with one insert with minor ghosting? Even if blank play fields were shipped out it would cost people a ton of cash to swap. Cash rebate or credit on another game? Don't think that would make people happy.

My best guess is they will probably do populated playfield swaps or send out a replacement playfield. Neither of which are optimal solutions, but it is all they are going to be able to afford with the number supposedly affected.

#2716 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

maybe "posting the good" can be in a different thread that isn't titled "Hey Stern! Are you Serious?".
maybe you could start the "posting the good" thread and let folks talk about the problems they are having in this thread?
just an idea...

I started a thread about recent Sterns with no issues.....but as I said, those folks aren't going to come here and post. I wasn't trying to hijack the "sky is falling" thread. This conversation started as a reply regarding how widespread the problem is. I simply said it may be overblown just a tad. And btw, thanks for proving my point.

#2720 7 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Everything I've read about GB says that code is basically complete with the exception of some tweaks.

And there is no chance the developer would say that so folks would not be constantly hollering for the next code? lol We will have no way of knowing, but I'll bet there is another release somewhere along the line.

#2721 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

having a conversation based on the topic of the thread is not "overblown", it is "having a conversation about the topic of the thread."
if this thread is too much for you, you don't need to read it, you don't need to post in it, and you could even "drain" it to prevent it from showing up. Then you could focus your time/energy on the "posting the good" thread.
seems reasonable, right ?

Wow.....Nowhere did I mention the topic wasn't worth discussing. I was just adding to the conversation and saying that my opinion was that some of the fears and worries might be a bit exaggerated when you take emotion out of the equation. Sorry for trying to spread any positive or actual reasoning. I will bow out, and you can resume your charge with the pitchfork in hand.....lol

#2724 7 years ago
#2736 7 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Manimal, i don't know you so it is possible that your opinion actually is 50x more valuable than anyone else's in thread, but I think I have heard it enough.

You are right, you don't know me, and I don't know you. My opinion here is worth no more or no less than anyone else's here. I am not an ass, so I won't give the same recommendation I got a few posts above which is not to come here and read it if you don't like it. I'll just say I have my thoughts, and you obviously have yours, and the fact we can express those thoughts is what makes this country and this forum great.

#2749 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Pinside is not based in the US.
...just saying
'Merrricah

I am fully aware of that, which is why I said "this country and this forum". I was referring to them both being great places we can freely express our opinions. Guess I should have worded it different, but for the life of me I didn't figure that was the part of the statement people would pick on........lol (you can always go to my other posts and see where we have been talking about subscription/advertising fees, and Robin / Brother making a living from the site, etc.)

#3145 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I should mention that my ghosting got worse while I was out of town for a few days. No play and the problem spread.

Air-balls landing while you were gone............lol Gotta laugh or give up and cry...........but I do feel for you and everyone else fighting through this issue.

#3232 7 years ago

Possible? Let's just ask Stern....oh wait, that's right, they aren't talking.

#3275 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

GOOD NEWS! Gary has offered to give me two complimentary tickets to the Epic 30th Anniversary Bash, along with a meet and greet w/ photo op with Mindy the monkey!
Joking aside, I just got off the phone w/ Gary. Very nice guy, I have never met or spoke with him before. Going off the top of my head, i'll try to remember everything we discussed.
Gary said he isn't ignoring any of these issues, and has been 'following along' with the complaints online including my emails and other messages (I would assume this thread).
He said Stern is well aware of the issues, and although ghosting does happen with pinball, he acknowledged there is definitely a lot more happening with Ghostbusters. He did comment that every design is different, and that some games have more airballs then others. Perhaps that is something being discussed at Stern, because as we know airballs are violent on GB, especially the LE models.
Gary said they are currently "working on a program" that will work with dealers that will work to remedy these problems. These issues will be handled through the dealers via this program. He said Trent as a dealer will be provided with the details soon and he will work with me on getting this resolved.
I asked if it was cool to share these details and he didn't say no.. but he did say for us to be patient, and that these problems will be resolved- but it would be more efficient to have a program with dealers then everyone going direct at this point, so thats brewing in the background.
He gave me his personal cell phone and call him directly if I have any issues at any point with resolving the problem with the machine during this process.

So we know that they are monitoring, and hopefully addressing the situation, and I applaud Gary for finally reaching out to someone to ease some of the supposition and conclusion-jumping. Based on your conversation, we know they are concerned with the ghosting and air balls, but given what folks are seeing on the other models like SMVE the air-balls can't be at the root of the problem. They may be accelerating the issue and damage, but I think everyone agrees there has to be something else going on. Did you get any indication they had an idea as to the actual cause of the ghosting? Or are they still trying to figure it out? I realize they probably won't say anything specific, but one would hope they have determined a cause. There are a lot of games still rolling off the line and so far it has been a virtual crap-shoot as to whether or not the playfield is stable. Acknowledging and addressing the issues are a great step to repair their reputation here, but continuing to produce games with the same problem....not so much. I have no indication they are, and I sincerely hope everything rolling out now is good, so I guess time will tell. Even though they will make things right for people, the solution.....no matter what it is....will be a hassle customers should not have to go through in the long-term.

#3360 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

I am hoping that he is only releasing it because it is fixed but i think that is wishful thinking at this point, do you really think its more cost effective to keep sending them out only to have to replace, repair playfields then to just hault production? perhaps it will depend on how many people make claims?

Although we have seen a high number of defective playfields, there are a lot more that are not. So the chances are better than 50/50 that anything he sends out will be fine. Those that are not, will be addressed as they work through them. There is no way they can just shut down production....aside from the expense, he would lose much of his staff, because they need a check. He can't afford to pay them if he is not selling games, and then we run the risk of more issues with new and untrained staff. So you have to keep the lines moving........

#3400 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Funny, the GB I played wouldn't drain. I had to turn it off and walk away after a too long ball one.

Ohhhh, that would be one heck of a handle: "TooLongBall"

#3402 7 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Not sure where you get your numbers from but I have seen 4 smve's and about 12 different gb's and I can tell you EVERY one of them had ghosting. Every. Single. One.
So it's not 50/50. It's more than likely 100%. The difference is who is going to notice the problem and complain. That may be 50/50.

Well I know for a fact it isn't 100%, I have a GBLE that is over a month old with no issues, and I personally know of 2 others I can actually lay my hands on in less than an hour. I also saw a SMVE last week and although we tried like hell to find a ghosting insert, we couldn't. If you look at this realistically, given even conservative production numbers, there would be hundreds of folks going nuts on this forum and everywhere else if things were that bad. Gary's statement to KPG that was something along the lines that they have a much higher occurrence than normal, coupled along with other folks I have talked with here and elsewhere, I would say my numbers are probably closer than you think. Stern puts out a lot of different games, and I am sure something is rolling down the line. If it were 100%, then they probably would actually shut down the plant to re-evaluate, because the cost of a fix program in that world would be astronomical. Take some of the emotion out of this and look at it realistically, and I think you will agree...or not, and in that case, we just disagree.

#3467 7 years ago
Quoted from Major-Havoc:

That's strange. Stern has sent us complete replacment playfields before and never charged us. They only charge if it's not returned, and it comes with a return shipping label.

My guess would be that they are worried about the logistics and cost, since there are so many playfields affected....or at least perceived to be affected. Lots of parts out and back in to keep track of, and given they have a lot of $$$ on the line, they want to be the final say in the "evaluation" process. It's probably as good as this will get, and better than just being told to pound sand. Of course it goes without saying, none of this should have happened (on this large a scale) in the first place.

#3502 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Old people do drive like shit & Taylor Swift has no ass. Those damn Stereotypes!

Epic Truth! lol

#3503 7 years ago

KPG, I don't know you personally, or know where you live, but I do work less than a mile from Stern. So if you need someone to personally deliver or inspect the playfield before it ships back out, I will me more than happy to help you out. Sometimes having a body waiting at the door, speeds up the process a bit. Especially a guy my size......lol

#3560 7 years ago

If a person were buying the playfield, the 5K would be an issue, but in this case, it is not. Of course the populated playfields are not worth 5K, but they are using that figure as a deterrent, so folks don't do as some have suggested, and keep both playfields. As stated, Stern has been burned on this already, which is why everyone else gets to jump over a higher bar. If we are all honest folks, the playfields get returned right away, and no one is charged. No reason to get upset, no reason to be shocked or angered at anything. The 5K is just an imaginary number. If someone isn't honest and does try to keep both playfields....well then, a 5K bill is probably not enough cost.

#3576 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

5000 is alot to risk being charged to your credit card. what happens if the playfield lost or damaged?
i am gonna take mine off and send it back to stern and wait for the turn around. live and learn. this is the chance and the risk when you buy a nib pin. its almost as bad as gambling. snake eyes anyone?

If there is an issue with the charge, you just dispute it. That is the advantage of using the credit card. While under dispute, they don't charge interest, and it doesn't go against your limit. If you have a valid case, they will reverse the charge.

#3715 7 years ago

What angle do you have your playfield set to?

#3722 7 years ago

If you slow that video down, it sure looks like the ball is contacting the inside of the ramp as it is coming up through the tunnel. That might be because it is hitting the metal diverter as you suggested, or possibly the feed ramp is not aligned straight. If the diverter or a magnetized ball is not the issue.....Take a look at the ramp entrance where the wire rails feed into the clear plastic and make sure it is feeding the ball straight and down the middle. If it is off just a bit, it will cause the ball to bounce from one side to the other. when you lift the playfield to remove the diverter, you should be able to get a close look at it. Sorry if this has already been suggested...I didn't go back through the old posts.

#3725 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I took a look. The nut attaching the wireform to the plastic was tight but it even when it's tight it's like a clamp and if you put a little push on it with your thumb the wireforms can shift left or right abit. 
My wireforms end was all the way toward the middle of the playfield so I moved it the opposite way towards the outside and now it's working properly again.

Now if I can just get my playfield fixed.

Cool, glad you figured it out. It was so hard to see from the angle you provided, but it really looked like that ball was bouncing back and forth coming through the subway. If all fixes could be that easy!

#3771 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Ok so it looks like i have officially arrived at the party Got this game set up on Monday it looked to me we came we saw was ghosting right out of box some have said it is not ghosting but just the insert i am not sure but i know the other inserts are ghosting, light super jackpot and spooked started on Tuesday, the arrow insert i noticed yesterday and that little bubble on the bottom of the picture just noticed today. The chip i just noticed to today as well seems a little strange not even sure the ball can hit there. Will be sending info to distro and stern as well with the email KPG gave. Im most worried about that arrow i feel with my finger that it might be sinking but could be in my head, going to lower the shaker also but have a feeling that will do nothing. Sucks to have my first NIB experience but am hopeful Stern will remedy this.

Still don't see it on the We came we saw, but you are right about the rest. what a mess.....I had hoped they had figured out the issue. There has to be more than one manufacturer doing these, or they are getting some really inconsistent materials. Some are just great, and others are just crap. Sorry man.

#3824 7 years ago

Interesting, KPG only got personal attention after he started making T-shirts and thinking outside the box on this. So long as their exposure is Pinside, I doubt they really care......but as much as I don't want to agree with the tactic of making this more public, it seems to have been the answer in at least one case. KPG....still plan on wearing that shirt to the Expo? lol

#3842 7 years ago

I would bet they do nothing or announce anything until after the expo. At this point, they don't want to create any controversy that might impact their party or show presence, so they are going to try very hard to keep everything simmering until their exposure is minimized. The do not want to be embarrassed in their own back yard. it is the only real leverage any of the consumers have outside of not buying their products any longer, and we all know there will always be someone standing in line.

#3847 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

Any news about "The Program" ?
Will a playfield protector protect from ghosting?

Unfortunately, no. It might add some life or minimize damage, but if clear is separating, the protector is not going to keep it from doing that.

#4047 7 years ago
Quoted from c508:

Crap... now I want to go to Seattle! Have one for me Eggbert!

In Seattle as we speak. Kid Rock concert last night and lots of fun in the city. Always a great time here. If he can't have one for you, i will. Lol

#4127 7 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

So then if you had the option of buying a GB with ghosts....pun intended.... and one without, which one are you going to take? BUT WAAAAAAIT, you can just get a replacement from Stern don't whiiiiiiiiiine about it. Camooooooon dude, you really gonna sell me a cup of piss and tell me its lemonade? Not a single person here wants to spend hours and days trying to convince Stern that their pin needs a replacement field, as they go "case by case" then IF they get approved, wait on a replacement, coordinate with a friend to swap it out then repackage the FUBAR POS back to Stern by driving it to UPS...........Look, I got no skin in the GB game because I canceled my order like so many others, but let me ask everyone here this. I have a GOT LE and KISS LE which are sitting in my house untouched for what will be a year as I am on deployment, when I get back and notice ghosting on my machine, you think Stern will replace them?

To be fair, we don't know what it will take to "convince Stern" of anything. They may just look and say, Yep, it's ghosted, so let's replace it. We really shouldn't start complaining about their program until we know they are actually turning down people with legitimate issues.

#4213 7 years ago

Dimples from ball strikes....perfectly normal.

#4256 7 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

should be
now, again, all cases are differents, and i'm not sure evbd will go thrue this as it was for my case : pin was the very 1st run, few cases only reported (here), than STERN was still not aware, well in fact not the big prob it seems to be now...
btw, in your case (which is shit for sure seeing the pics), i have no doubt that STERN will do what they have to do

I am betting most of your problem lies with the distributor, rather than Stern. Now I have not been a fan of a lot they have done, but I can tell you I was standing next to a friend who took a call from his distro 2 days ago regarding his pro. He has a couple of minor ghosted inserts, and the distro opened a case with Stern. They took a look at the pics and said it would be taken care of in a month or so. Now I will admit, they did not tell him exactly what they would be doing for him, but they left the distinct impression it would be a new playfield. So what I am trying to say is I think they are really wanting to fix all of this, but they are not being very vocal about it and just handling the cases as they come in. If your distributor is yanking you around, they are either not taking the time to bring the case to Stern, or they don't want the hassle and/or deposit for shipping the playfields back and forth. I would contact Stern directly, and tell them you have gone through your distributor with no results, so the next step is contacting them directly.

#4267 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Let me stop you there.
If Stern were being forthcoming and had made clear that they would look after the resellers and distributors overseas and in a timely fashion, who are compelled by law to look after their customers with defective product (unlike the US), then I see no reason why some of them would be difficult or try to make the problem go away. On the contrary, this would be a good opportunity to win the trust of their customers and show good service.
But Stern are categorically not doing anything of the sort.

I don't disagree with what you said in regards to how the manufacturer has handled things. Stern HAS made a big mess of this from the start, no question. But the problem the distributors and re-sellers have is with Stern, and they should not be hanging the customer out to dry. (if that is indeed what is happening) They take the money and reap a profit, they should be standing up for the customer with stern, no matter how crappy the deal is for them. They can't take the money and run away and then say "fend for yourself" when the going gets tough...it is the risk they take when they sell another person's product. (which is why they are legally responsible). The only way you will see change, is if the true buyers from Stern, which are the Distributors and re-sellers, say they are not going to handle a crappy product any longer. 1 sale is no big deal to them....but having to find a new distributor is costly and time consuming. Only with action like that will you see change......but regardless, the end customer should be taken care of by whomever they wrote the check to.

#4269 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

So to summarise the 4k plus posts what I think says. Stern does seem to have a programme of swapping PFs in place for North America for people with problems on 3+ inserts. Outside of North America no one has heard anything yet.
That right?

Don't know about outside of North America, but I don't think there is a "magic number" of ghosted inserts. The one I was referring to had a small ghost on the Tobin insert, and a very very small ghost on the corner of another, and Stern said they would cover it. If you have ghosting, no matter how small, it stands to reason you will have more over time, and I think Stern knows that. I do wish luck to all of you outside the country. I really hope they do the stand-up thing and take care of you all. It's not like you can jump in the car and drive over to the plant.

1 month later
#4657 7 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I wonder if the program covers bubbled inserts? Almost all the colored jeweled inserts on my game have this. No ghosting though...
Rob

As said above, go to the CPR website and there is a lot of playfield documentation. You will see the bubbling you mention is perfectly normal. Now if you are getting blisters that chip off, then you are talking a different thing....but bubbling or jeweling is normal.

#4665 7 years ago
Quoted from Kingpin22:

I'm getting a lot of bubbling or jeweling on arrow inserts on a Kiss LE. I find it hard to believe that this is normal. It looks like crap and after a $8,000 purchase I would hope they get this issue resolved.

As I said, go to the CPR website. They have pictures of what can be expected and why. If yours is different, then you may need to address it with your distributor.

1 week later
#4739 7 years ago

Oh good lord. There is so much speculation and "I heard this" and a "friend told me that" in this thread, it would take a master navigator just to figure out where it is going. If you buy a game and don't have ghosting, then it is fixed (at least as far as you are concerned). Have fun and play the crap out of it.

If you have ghosting, then Stern has publicly said they will take care of you. No one has ever said it takes 3 inserts, bla bla bla. So if you buy a game with ghosting...guess what.....do the same as above and just play the crap out of it. Stop trying to figure out who is making the playfields. Just because you heard this manufacturer is superior over another, does not mean your game is going to be fine. ANY game can have an issues, and there are more without than with. If you want to talk about a real subject that we can do something about, lets talk about pricing.

#4752 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Actually my distributor did .

And we all know how well informed the distributors have been. My dad always said to believe none of what you hear and half of what you see. Unless it comes direct from Stern, I would treat it with a grain of salt. Gary is on video saying they are going to take care of the playfield. Now I am by no means a fan of Gary, but I have to believe he meant what he said, else he knows folks will roast him at the stake. Just buy the game and stop worrying so much.

#4765 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Why would any distributor just make that up, and just happen to come up with the exact same number ,3, as what I was told.
They wouldn't .

Sure they would. First, that number has been floating around Pinside for months now. I'm sure a lot of distros frequent this board incognito. Second, and most importantly, it gives the buyer something.....some kind of answer to get the customer off his ass for a while.

They know nothing more than the rest of us. If they did, one of them would be posting it to calm the fears so they can sell more games.

2 months later
#5192 7 years ago

Stern has been on record in video and other presentations, where they admitted to the issue and said it would be fixed. With that said, they are not stupid, they know they have to make things right or they would be crucified in court. I believe they do have intentions of fixing the bad PF's, but they probably figure getting new machines out the door is more of a priority right now. In the short-term, these new sales make them money...playfield replacements only cost them. I know, I know...don't piss off the valued customers, or your company will die, etc etc, but they are not thinking that far out. They are getting the backlog of machine orders caught up so they can then pull some of their folks off of the production line to concentrate on the re-builds. They probably figure those with ghosting are already pissed, so they would rather let those folks wait a little longer than to piss off a whole new set of people by delaying their games even more.

#5195 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Sure, new games make money, but they already made money on my game and countless others...and they're defective. It's downright inexcusable that fixing bad playfields isn't priority number 1 at Stern.

Not saying I disagree with you....I'm just guessing at their point of view. Of course they could be in Las Vegas, drunk as hell with a hooker on each arm, laughing at all of us suckers that they can't believe "bought that shit".....lol

#5309 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I will never forget the "light table incident" from the recent Stern tour video. "QC guy" was checking playfields on a light table with the light not even plugged in or set up to be used in any regular manner.

I don't think that was as bad as many are making out. Those that have the ghosting issue know it is much much easier to see without backlighting. When you turn on the bulbs, the ghosting is very hard to see. So my guess is he was looking for ghosting, given the current issue. I would be more worried about whether or not he had his glasses on...........lol

1 week later
#5453 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Not sure why anybody would be enthusiastic about being a NIB buyer right now. With SMVE, GB, and B66 all having common quality issues, I would be very cautious going forward or look to pick up a used machine that's been put to the test for a while first. Too many lemons are coming off the line. I get being excited about a new game coming out, but secondhand sales come up fairly quickly. It makes so much more sense to skip the gamble.

Everything in life is a gamble. I could say the same thing about certain car manufacturers. If you are buying from a reputable dealer, then you have to trust they will take care of you. If you don't feel they will do what is right, then you shouldn't be buying from them anyway.....no matter what the quality of the product.

#5465 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Uh.. well there's plenty of car manufacturers, and if there's a problem- you drive it into the dealership and they handle it.
Stern is pretty much the only pinball manufacturer in the game, besides the small boutique companies that release a new machine every few years. You also can't easily repair a pin by dropping it off at a dealership or repair center, or easily return it to a store or ship back without some big hassle.
So yeah, buying a new Stern is way more risky than buying most any new consumer electronic product, and especially a car.

Not sure of your point....Just like a dealer, Stern should take care of the product. Yes, getting service is more difficult, but that is part of the gamble I was referencing. Stern is the only mainstream game in town and we all know that going in. It's not like a bunch of Stern dealerships suddenly closed their doors, and in this informed age there is no reason to not to know all of the potential issues prior to plopping down 8K.

A pinball machine is a toy, plain and simple. It is not something we need to survive, so if you only have one dealer to go to and they don't stand behind their product, then don't buy it. Go buy some other shiny object that has a better company behind it. And before anyone says that route operators depend on them for their livelihood, there are other products out there that make them money. I am sure they don't want to buy a pin and put it on route from a supplier that doesn't support their products. Sure they will "want" a Stern pinball, but if Stern isn't the place to go, then it won't take long for JJ and others to expand and corner the market.

This is what is wrong with the "me" society of today. We want everything to be right, just and fair. The world does not work that way, and we need to accept risk and at least some responsibility for everything we do. Now I am not saying a person should just roll over and let anyone get away with anything....I am just saying we can't complain about "difficulty getting service" when we knew that might be the case going in.

End result if Stern stands behind their product, they will sell them and they will stay in business. If they don't, then eventually they will piss off enough folks to effect change or to put them out of business from lack of sales.

1 month later
#5551 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Nope, not even close! None of what you say is true. I've played tons of games on the new code. You have NOT. I play it every day. You haven't played plenty of shit and you are lying and clueless.
It's NOT F ing cheap by comparison to GBLE. Get it? No because you don't have it.
It's great, you have ZERO clue. Just a jealous hater as usual but that's ok!

Wow Ice...you and I often agree on a lot of things, but resorting to a personal attack is a bit over the top. I have both, and I love playing both, but I will also admit the BM66 code has a long way to go. Remember, it's only pinball.........

1 week later
#5726 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

AC/DC prem, TWDLE, GBLE and BM66LE are some of the greatest pinball experiences I've ever had.
Throw in my first pin LOTRLE and then SM and I'm a Stern fanboy!
I don't know wtf your problem is Panzer but my $$$ is going to anywhere i like pinball. Including Alien next.
Take the toys and the micro PF's and..........

Really looking at this Alien myself. I want to see the folks get a few games on it before making the call, but it may just be my next purchase.

2 weeks later
#5916 7 years ago

Received the box for our damaged LE play field today. Had Aerosmith LE on order, but cancelled due to quality concerns. And my wife's never ending nagging about how much these pins cost and the issues out of the box. Although it took 8 months to resolve our GBLE play field concerns, we are very thankful to our distributor and Stern for standing behind the manufacturing defects. Just wish my wife didn't google "Aerosmith quality concerns" as she insisted we pull the plug on our LE order until the quality concerns subside.

This....is going to be the thing that haunts Stern the most. Once something is on the internet, it lives and breathes, and it never goes away. I have no idea if there actually are Aerosmith playfield issues as I haven't been following those threads, but I am sure someone somewhere is claiming that they do, and a google search is going to throw all of those results out there for everyone to see. Kind of like an accused criminal...he/she may be able to prove beyond a doubt that they are innocent, but Google will keep convicting them over and over for the rest of their lives.

1 month later
#5962 7 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Surprised they aren't selling them as wall art or blemished PF's like JJP did with the bad batch of WOZ PF's they got. I'm sure they could take them to shows and sell them for $100's a piece. I know I'd buy one to hand on the wall as the artwork of GB is really cool. Could even make for some good give always at shows as well.
Pretty sure they used to do this as I have a cloudy windowed AC/DC pf hanging on my wall that Steve R. signed. Was given to someone as a prize from a contest and i bought it off them.

When I asked about mine, they said they purposely destroy them because: 1. They don't want someone re-installing and then claiming another bad playfield 2. The LE's were signed, and they specifically did not want the signed boards out there floating around. Not sure why, other than to keep someone from selling the board for more because of the signature, or maybe trying to make an LE out of a premium??

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.95
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manimal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious?tu=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.