Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jackofdiamonds.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#518 7 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

But we still price things based on condition

How much would a game cost if it was 2 years late had bad sound and the DMD had tearing?

How much would a game cost w/incomplete software?

See where Im going with this?

#785 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

bashing the shit out of them

Quoted from hoby1:

Ill just keep nodding my head and working with them to find a solution when a problem occurs.

Anything can be new.That doesn't make it better.
I think asking your customers for solutions is lame, should have been covered in the 8k you just spent.

#828 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Stfu and play your pins.

DAMN!!!!

ok

#832 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I have some basic questions, for consideration of owners.
Why did owners buy Stern machines, and not buy a different manufacturer?
Why did owners buy NIB machines?
What experience do people have with games as an operator?
What experience do people have as an a technician in maintaining games on routes or in their own home?
What experience are people aware in the development lifespan of a pinball machine is "in the wild" and what ultimately it is designed for?
Many of these questions and more should be considered before deciding to enter into this hobby.
The current lifecycle of a pinball "collector" is roughly 2-3 years.

Ill play;

1)Stern were the only NIB games for over a decade.So really no choice for about 13 years.JJP is new and somewhat unproven,TH isn't exactly setting the scene on fire.Need a larger sample size from JJP(6 titles)?I guess.Again I think because its new.

2)Owners: some people just want new.I hear it all the time,on here and elsewhere."gimme new".OPs buy for the route.Need the latest title .It has NOTHING to do w/theme,designer,all the stuff home owners look for.Just get a FRESh title at the spot.Anything can be new,that doesn't make it better.Personally NIB is out of the question for me.Im not spending 8K on a DataEast/Sega/Stern product that might never be finished and Im damn sure not waiting 2 years + for anything at those prices.No fuckin way.I really feel that NIB experience sucks right now.Unless your an op,then its necessary

3)Im not an op,but I have 2 close friends who are.Im pretty close to them and they will ask my opinion on new titles.Not that it effects their decisions.One op buys every new Stern for his route and he even will route LEs which is supercool.The other is a little more discerning regarding titles.He currently has a TH and GoT LE at the place right now.Ive helped them move,repair, track down parts,bring backpacks filled w/quarters to the bank.Whatever I can do,and I support their games on their route.They are my friends first,and my local ops second,but it gives me some perspective.

4)Lots of experience maintaining and helping w/fixes.I feel like I can maintain my collection efficiently.Willing to help out on the route if need be.

5) In the wild?coin box.Designed to make money!!!! and of course its fun to play pinball,thats how they wound up in homes.

Just one dudes take on stuff,obviously lots of ways to look at it,and everybody's gotta do what turns them on and what they need to do business(ops)wise.

#1200 7 years ago

Gary Stern has no heir.Who will take over Stern if/when he retires?

#1202 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I'm going to put my money on Gomez

He already runs the show.Im talking about owning.Gomez is salaried employee.Who gets the business?

#1205 7 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I'm pretty sure he has a daughter

I thought he was a career bachelor.

I hope she digs pinball.

#1222 7 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

So... You get that fact that it's a company, not a monarchy, right?

Yes just wondering who and how it goes forward.Sounds like its

Quoted from Mr68:His name is Dave Peterson

Quoted from Astropin:

You never heard of an employee buying out the business?

If he had all that why work for Stern.why not Gomez pinball?

3 weeks later
#1510 7 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

This is quite possibly the dumbest response I've ever read on pinside, and that's saying something

Not so dumb.We all know how much Stern has taken out of there games.Theyve cut corners since day one.
Compare their machines with others and they are at the bottom of the list in build quality.
Big picture:it's a Data East/Sega game right down to the toys and mechs.
Except it somehow costs8-10k now

#1515 7 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I think you guys are missing my point, I'm not defending Sterns quality, and think this whole Playfield thing is unacceptable. It's a comment about his response to the initial post

Right on

1 week later
#1793 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Do we know who made these playfields? CCC? Stern?

Data East?
Sega?

2 weeks later
#3212 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

From a distributor I spoke with a couple months ago I heard that the playfield manufacturer that Stern had been using for years is no longer making the playfields. He made it sound like the former playfield manufacturer and Stern had a failing out over several issues (I assume one being costs). I was also told a new company who has never made playfields before is now making them.
There's been so many other rumors floating around though that I don't know what the real story is. Others have said the former playfield manufacture had been having quality issues and Stern ditched them. There's also rumors that the problem lies with the quality of the wood being used. Who knows what it really is.
What I do know is that any change Stern made (new manufacturer, new build process, etc) should have been properly tested and that they clearly didn't do that. If Stern is going to keep raising prices while cutting corners in other areas the least they can do is ensure that the playfields of all things don't have issues.
The playfield issues, putting the power button in an inconvenient place just to save a few bucks, taking forever to release code updates, not correcting issues with their latest games (GOT orbit issue), lack of communication over issues, and including less in games overall while raising prices are all signs that Stern has become lazy and is just trying to squeeze every dime they can out of consumers.

Somebody somewhere in the pinside universe said Stern has acquired the "pants press" a giant play field dimpler.So you would think they are doing play fields themselves.Working out the kinks?Getting the process together?
I have no proof but that's what I'm thinking based on the current data.

#3216 7 years ago

Ok they have had the dimpler. So that's not the problem.
Making their own play fields now?Considering their history of cost cutting whenever and wherever maybe they chintzed out on clear or wood or inserts.My guess is they will get it right.Hopefully sooner rather then later.I guess this caused the delay in shipping that was talked about.

2 weeks later
#4038 7 years ago

just way too easy

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jackofdiamonds.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious?tu=jackofdiamonds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.