Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j85m.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The GB clear doesn;t seem anywhere near as good as GOTs....although I'm a layman in such matters.

Really? I've seen a couple of GOT pro with paper thin clear that you can feel and see the raise of inserts in, if GB looks worse that's going to be an achievement in corner cutting, might as well just ship GB with no clear at all.

Btw Stern that's just in case

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I mean, thanks for the clearer decal'ed cabinets (finally) but the rest feels like a real F U to the fan base that has put them where they are.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you will find the decals was also another saving/shaving exercise, decals are cheaper than printing directly onto the cabs.

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I stopped buying NIB due to these kind of issues.
My HUO TWD bugged me as having to go round the game and stick down edges of decals is not acceptable.
So, due to prices and these kind of issues I no longer buy NIB.

Sadly this is the only way this trend of quality continuing on a downward spiral while prices continue to rise will end. Stern don't give a crap what we think but they certainly care what our wallets think.

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

Now the cab's decals start to peel of... Man. This is getting ridiculous.
Gotta cancel my GB premium order.

That's what happens when you apply cabinet decals with these

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#320 7 years ago
Quoted from ernoe:

Here is a picture from my shooterlanes after 250 Games on the Ghostbusters.
Ernö

Quoted from vid1900:

I always suggest you put Mylar down in the shooter lane.
It's the first thing to show wear on any pin.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Put Mylar down over that and it will not get any worse.

One of the best shooter lanes I ever had in my collection and I played my Avatar ALOT was my LE, the shooter lane had metal sides to detect when the power/ceramic ball was in use, I never had any wear on the shooter lane plus I always felt it looked more factory/stock than Mylar.

It would be great if Cliffy could maybe make something similar for Sterns, if the playfields are getting cheaper/softer etc it could be a useful mod.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#362 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

He does make them. At least for Metallica and Walking Dead. You'll need to ask about other titles.
And be sure to buy directly from the man himself. http://www.passionforpinball.com/
Check out the install guide for "Stern 3 Piece Multi-Fit Eject Protectors" at this link: http://passionforpinball.com/twd/TWDProtectorGuide.html

I've used these on all my games and they are great, I simply ment that the best shooter lane I've ever had was on my Avatar LE probably due to the way the shooter lane is designed with the metal tracks that capture the ball before it really hits any part of the shooter lane.

#437 7 years ago

Until the quality issue at Stern improve and seem to settle down a little the only NIB sterns I'll be buying are older titles without all these playfield and decal issues. I don't expect a pin to stay completely perfect but for £6950 ($9800) for a premium when I open the box I expect it to be near perfect.

Shouldn't be opening a NIB pin to find peeling decals or decals hanging off and serious playfield issues like cracks and chips before a single ball has rolled down it.

#473 7 years ago

Something must have changed at Stern or one of their suppliers, I don't recall ever seeing these common issues on older games. These issues all started becoming common place a couple games back. Question is what has changed?

#481 7 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

You own one machine. Is that your sample size?

Maybe you should have checked my previously owned games I've had 6 NIB Sterns

#489 7 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Selling TRON kinda ruins your Credibility......

as much as I loved my Tron & the franchise, my son is called Flynn. When there mum ran up a shit load of debt and left as a result, all my pins but one had to go. Roof above their heads was more important than daddy's gameroom

Within next couple of months I'll hopefully be rebuilding my collection and probably adding a TWD prem & ST prem to the lineup if all goes well

#491 7 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

You could have lived in the TRON box.

Everyone knows Tron box only has 1 bedroom I needed 3 rooms so the house was the choice

But I'll be getting a Tron again hopefully with a couple fresh additions.

6 months later
#5059 7 years ago

If only Stern knew how to use social media and had someone with half a brain running it, they could deal with most of the complaints and negativity before it goes viral with hastags, facebook share slogans etc.

It is either stupidity or plain ignorance in this day and age to not realise that communication and informing your customers even of bad news can get the pitchforks put down, to not just say "we have an issue with .......... we are aware of the problem, we have it in hand and will announce a resolution for all buyers effected shortly, thank you for your continued support, Stern Pinball" it literally took me 10 seconds or less to type that

The Heighway/Alien thread is a perfect example of it, someone complains about something, lack of communication/ignored emails, missed dates for promo/reveals, the crowd of complaints builds but Andrew comes in holds his hands up, apologies and either replies directly or informs everyone in the thread as group, everyone is happy again, rinse and repeat but it works, it keeps people happy and extends their patience where as ignorance just pisses people off.

3 weeks later
#5212 7 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I'm sad for stern. Best hit they have had in a while, and it's plagued with this.

Sad for Stern? It is their own fault for trying to cut costs and cheap out on every physical element of the game on a theme they knew would be a huge hit and to not be addressing the problems directly with those customers as a priority and keeping them informed is BS.

Read above KPG was promised a swap by Gary Stern himself, yet he hasn't heard a single thing other than the usual radio silence, we are working in it "stay tuned".

Feel sad for Stern?? I feel sad for all the GB owners with defective playfields & board sets being left in the dark when they are going to get their issues resolved.

#5223 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Sheesh!
New game comes out….BAM!…Sold Out!
Bitch & Moan
Next game comes out…(cost a fortune)…BAM! …Sold Out!
Bitch & Moan
Next game RUMORED to come out…BAM! …Sold Out!
Bitch & Moan On Ready
Yeah, we're showing them!

100% accurate and I'm guilty somewhat myself, I was fully aware of the problems with SMVE & GBLE, but as it seemed the playfield issues had been sorted I ordered a BM66 LE, however I will not be buying any more NIB from Stern at this point, not because I can't afford too or don't want to

I might like a SW & would love a JAWs pin. I would just do what I can to help out other pinheads like the GB owners who Stern seem to be leaving in the dark, if we don't start coming together then at some point the lucky ones this round won't be lucky next time round and we will all be telling each other we are idiots

Sometimes you have to stand together, Mr Spock said it best "the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few" so I can go without anymore NIBs Sterns if it helps give them a wake up slap and sort their shit out.

#5399 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I hear you man and pretty certain I know who you're talking about. How much pull that person has with this particular subject is unknown but yea, that nameless person certainly hasn't done stern many favors in the public eye with his/her cockiness and arrogance.

Your practically giving the answer away

Quoted from Eskaybee:

Internet and social media has put our society in a position of demanding answers now when we want them.

Couldn't be more right, the internet has lead modern society to want answers and product asap and social media has only added to that immediate need and demand, but if its used correctly it can satisfy those demands faster than any other method, its an open door to your customers lives and buying habits, but unfortunately like you have said "that unnamed person" just doesn't seem to be taking full advantage of it and using it to communities, buying market and ultimately Sterns full benefit.

#5434 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Have we gone dark per JD instructions?

When Judge Dredd tells you to go dark, you do what he says

3 months later
#5959 7 years ago
Quoted from phlach:

Have been following this thread but first time posting to it.
My experience was a NiB Spider-Man VE with ghosting on most (70%?) of the inserts after just a few days. This was my first pin ever, so I was crushed when I noticed the ghosting. My dealer was fairly useless, but Stern has been great. Although it's been about 6 months since I first reported the issue, I just got the call today saying my new playfield is ready to ship, and that they will be sending me the shipping box for my old one.

Welcome to the addiction

Sorry to hear your first pin experience had had issues but great news knowing they are being rectified for you, SM is one of the best games period so great choice for your first....... of many

#5980 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

They'll ask for a receipt. If you don't have one, they will probably either do a search or take you at your word. YMMV.

What if your bringing your "own property back" through the border? Surely you can't get taxed on that?

If you cross the border with a pin in your truck and return with "the same" pin in your truck, they couldn't possibly tax you?

3 weeks later
#5997 6 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Well Stern sent me a signed borg met premium "translite" and Pat Powers personally sent me a hardcoat repair kit after speaking to his Q/A department. So six months of a non functioning NIB game to finally get a working drop mech and finally be officially told Stern is not replacing my playfield. I did enjoy my NIB for the one month it all worked correctly. My distro is taking the game back and I'm out $400 in shipping, but at least I believe my last Stern purchase is finally over. I'm not begging Stern for two years like I believe frax or someone else had too.

Glad you finally got a resolution and an end to your issues @tacshose, gutted for you that you couldn't get the solution you wanted in order to continue enjoying your game but there is a tonne of new games coming out from a number of manufacturers that can hopefully give you that special NIB experience.

2 weeks later
#6004 6 years ago

Like denmark71 says above, get Cliffys shooter lane protector kit but grab his trough protector as well to add some protection to the edge of your playfield there.

#6009 6 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

I'm lucky I had a good distro even though Stern is a POS. Sorry to hear your game has issues.

I wouldn't put Chas or Pat in that category.

I have an issue with a NIB game, I emailed Chas at Stern and he replied within the hour with a resolution to send the part out to me asap.

It seems to be if it's something small Chas or Pat can authorise themselves then problems are sorted immediatly, anything larger/more expensive that needs authorisation further up the management chain and that's when issues seem to occur.

But Chas and Pat have always been awesome it's just a shame there excellent customer service doesn't flow up through management.

1 month later
#6165 6 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Hasn't the code been finished on SM for like 7 years? What do you feel is missing?

SM is complete and one of Lymans masterpieces

#6174 6 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I've been waiting for 1+ months for my "clearcoat repair kit" and a red LED.
The shooter lane chipped after about 20 plays and now the area where the ball drops into the trough is starting to chip.
Maybe I should just go out and buy my own nail polish.

I put nail polish on my scoops use a super hard polish, works wonders never had an issue and if the polish chips just refill it - never had it chip though.

#6217 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm pretty sure they aren't gonna want to relive the GB experience. Cost them a fortune and not done yet

Cut too many corners and cheapened processes too much, to save a few dollars per game (the margins are real healthy already) and it back fired ended up costing them thousands per game

#6259 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I was initially underwhelmed by the feel of the playfield, ie. clunky orbit and well walker bash toy, prison doors bash toy that open to reveal a bash toy and ramp that lifts to reveal a ... bash toy.

I know what you mean by things feeling like they don't line up and not feeling particularly fluid, but TWD comes with plenty of hardware on it

2 x magnets
3 (4 if you say doors & head are seperate) x bash toys
And some of the best code in pinball.

Certainly gives you your money's worth.

#6264 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I'm curious about this... when I owned the game I tried it and found Stern's to be better because it directs and leads you through the game. Probably just me, but having characters from the show blurt out various phrases just felt random. It's customized but not customized... a game like ST shows how great real customized voice work can be. These TWD code mods show a lot of user creativity, but the show call outs really miss the mark of feeling in-game appropriate.

Pretty sure there have been several times when characters say the name of places that are featured in the game during the show.

When they are heading to and reach places in each session they often do a lot of talking about them so there must be some create audio clips that could be lifted featuring - CDC, barn, terminus, tunnel, prison and they definitely say shoot a lot in the show, with some creative editing and cutting, these could be made to direct the player like the original hillbilly callouts.

#6305 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Uhhh... can I cancel my order and get my deposit back please?

This is the only way we will see Stern, until people stop buying and in essence make a stand we will continue to see Sterns standards slip lower and lower.

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

If ghosting is normal how come Stern games from 2000 - 2014 seems to be free of this issue?
Damage limitation?

It isn't normal, I had had games that are 20-30 years old with no ghosting, this is just another way for Stern to avoid responsibility.

#6309 6 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

It's too bad they didn't also put in a disclaimer that it's normal to have node boards fail. That's a missed opportunity.

don't give them ideas

#6317 6 years ago

Sorry I don't buy it, I have had games 20-30 years old with no ghosting and I have plenty of Sterns myself and friends with rows of Sterns with no ghosting, my Goldeneye & my Goldeneye NOS playfield have zero ghosting on either of them.

Its like Stern want us to stop buying their games!? I am greatful Stern kept pinball alive through the bad times and I supported them through those stripped down years, but my god what has happened to this company over the last couple of years!?

#6323 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

It's not "normal". They are trying to make it normal so they don't have to do playfield swaps in the future.

How do you interpret I though? The whole thing is left to interpretation.

Are they saying a little ghosting is normal "small cloudy lines around insert edges" and they would replace serious ghosting or would they say full on large cloudy/ghosting inserts and inserts lifting is a result of normal manufacturing?

#6347 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Great English have you can to speak.

English might not be his first language? If it is then I agree he needs to go back to school

#6359 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

The problem on Pinside with sentences that barely make sense is that it's tough to tell if the person is from a different country, or just drunk or stupid.

C'mon Boob leave Ice alone

#6373 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Exactly. If they did actually reverse course from however they did the AS pf then that is MIND BLOWING stupid on their part.
Of course we will never know the truth because they don't communicate.
So, I'm left with wondering, waiting it out and canceling my LE.

So have you dropped out of your LE Ice? Your a well known presence here so if you have dropped out that's quite telling of Sterns decisions to shoot themselves in the foot again - Gary must be running out of toes!

#6376 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

No one person is a barometer of a company's decisions or lack there of... come on now.
Everyone's decision should be independent of another's - especially when considering comments made by a person sitting at a computer. Everything on Pinside needs a grain (read: pound) of salt.

Think you miss my point, iceman44 often goes to bat for Stern, rightly so he has had a lot of NIB with little to no issues and issues I know he has had Stern have sorted for him, but this next push from Stern to ensure further production issues are no longer going to be sorted clearly has him waning a little.

My point was and it still stands imo, is if Sterns biggest fans and supporters start dropping out of LE (hell even premium) orders, that is a big old indicator on the barometer of whether a company has pushed things to far with its customers.

#6379 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I was a fan, client, regular customer, beta tester, and friend. They could count on me to buy the new games if I dug the themes. I bought NIB: BDK, IM, TFLE, Avatar LE, AC/DC Prem, X-Men LE (x2!), IM Vault, Met LE, STLE ...not to mention countless routed and HUO games, supporting the 2nd hand market (many of those people were reinvesting in NIB).
I'm out. 100% out. Sure, I'm one guy, and I'm sure another customer has replaced me....but that's my story.

Oh I know Greg you where massive Stern NIB customer, just furthers my point above a lot of big Stern supporters have already or are now taking a step back from Stern.

Question is how many of their big multiple NIB LE buyers can they afford to loose? I know I am now out as well and I spent 35k on NIB Sterns this last 12-18months another 9 people who do the same but are also dropping out that's 350,000k lost in sales.

Maybe that's nothing to Stern but I sure as sh*t would be concerned if I suddenly started loosing that business.

2 weeks later
#6458 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Elvira is my next game but if it is the next title out I wouldn't buy one. I would at least have to wait and see if the playfields was ghosting like the Star Wars games and if they were* no way.

Best bet these days is don't go LE, that way there is no need to buy blind, just sit back and watch how the code comes along and how the build quality holds up.

#6470 6 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Just installed my replacement KISS LE play field and the quality is noticeably different, not for better. I am hoping not to catch anymore ghosting as well. Now if I can just get Stern to replace the Game of thrones drop target they put on the kiss machine for the correct one, that would be swell

Quoted from capguntrooper:

Kiss of Thrones anyone?

Wow! Literally no words for the screw ups Stern are continuing to make, its at the point where its laughable now.

Can you explain what you mean about the noticeable difference in quality of the playfields and it not being for the better? I have a replacement playfield due hopefully sometime this year for my BM66, so you have me curious and a little worried.

#6480 6 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

To that point, the GBPrem that I purchased in July'17 (cabinet date April'17) had a 2016 date stamp on the playfield that was marked out and a new Jan '17 stamp was added. Who knows how they have been managing this.

I think that first stamp is actually 2015

You hit the nail on the head though, no one knows how they are managing all these issues and how much care is being put into them except Stern themselves, all we know is its starting to feel like Stern don't care.

#6489 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

O well it will be fun whether it's ghosting or not.

Exactly why we wont see Stern change anytime soon, because they don't have to, ghosting is now normal, games left without code, splitting cabs, chipping clear, dodgy at best playfield replacements, wrong parts installed on games, incorrect playfields in games, mismatch of cabinet side rails, piss poor communication regarding everything just listed and they are still selling more games than they can keep up with

#6493 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Yes I'm stoopid

I think we all have to be a little stupid to be in this hobby so your just another member of this crazy club

#6502 6 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

I can see why you would think that from the picture, but on very close inspection, it is definitely 2016. This makes sense since GB was not produced in 2015.

Well that does make sense, being totally honest I thought it was a Kiss playfield

Although there is saying when Stern had the GB playfields made, maybe they are sending out prototypes? Does your new playfield have the correct spelling on the Negative Reinforcement insert?

#6504 6 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Damnit, pay attention man! This shit is important!
Insert spelling is correct.

I didn't see you mention about the insert spelling, but to be fair it is 1am here and I have been up for approx 46 hours and counting so forgive me I missed it

Something I didn't miss was how good those colours look on GB, its a playfield I want at some point for wall art, the thing is gorgeous.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j85m.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious?tu=j85m and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.