Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider embryon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2393 7 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Whilst they are still technically commercial machines, there are very few of them (particularly at the LE level) that will actually ever see a commercial environment.
The market has changed and with that expectations have changed to be much more stringent as to quality since most buyers are putting these "numbered limited edition" machines (as they have been specifically marketed) into their homes to play sparingly and then adding on average another $1000 worth of aftermarket addons to them to make them a unique collectors piece based on their personal tastes.
My LOTRLE, BIBLE, Tron and Avengers have no ghosted inserts after hundreds of HUO games so something in the production/manufacturing process has changed since then to cause inserts to separate from the playfield artwork within 20 games (or as Vid pointed out straight out of the box).
Stern needs to address this, not just blow people off with claims of it being an industry standard or within acceptable limits.

Have to kind of disagree with you mate. I don't think the market has changed in Stern's mind, just the home user's. If the ghosting happened on a sited game, would the operator pull it from the line up? Would the op try to fix it? Would the op say something to Stern, may be but I doubt.

Is this an excuse for a poorly made pf....no....but nowhere did I read from Stern that they are a retail, end user outlet, collectors just have the opportunity to buy. I worked in engineering and a home user could buy but didn't get better than commercial warranties nor preferential treatment for claims and quality issues. I hope I'm looked after and will use all avenues to get a resolution to my liking, but still have the realization I could be disappointed. Atm I'm loving the game and the ghosting I have does not concern me but will evaluate well before the end of the warranty period.

#2397 7 years ago

Good to hear, we may require you to champion the cause for us. Lets see how it pans out in the next month or so.

4 months later
#5104 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Meh, it was no big deal. I had a replacement on hand, and Stern sent me a new coil. It was just a 20 minute inconvenience.

I agree, its no big deal. This is why I believe pinball is not really designed for home ownership. Pinball from any manufacturer is trouble and they break continually. If you want a game that's trouble free, then play pinball on a console. It is not a hobby for the faint hearted that's for sure.

#5139 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Since these are commercial machines, they're actually MEANT to be played hard and often and NOT break continually. Since home use games are played considerably less than on location, a home game should be relatively trouble free. No operator or homeowner is going to be happy about their game breaking after 40 plays.

True. Now my gb has had over 2000 games played, no coil locks, no centre drains, no switch problems, no ramp issues, no major airballs, no this game is too hard, no hissy fits, yes ghosting. So based on my experience I can declare that stern products are 100% mechanically and electrically fault free. Now we know this is not the case, but people here are making out like this is an inferior product based on how many people? I don't know the number, does anyone really? And how many units sold? Poll all the tz owners and ops from release date to this very day and see how a Bally game stacks up. What about the Bally SS drop target bricking issue that was never really sorted out?? I've had many tz issues, but consider all manageable with my tech knowledge and came into this hobby knowing the risks.

These things in reality are not designed or built to high tolerances and by design pretty mediocre with what we have available today. Would you buy a car with such technology and workmanship?

What I was basically eluding to is, don't go into pinball ownership if you like living in the ideal world because it ain't gonna happen. If you're going to rely on reliability, you're misguided, if you're going to rely on a tech, then its going to cost you a fortune and/or frustrate the hell out of you. Most problems I have read here are part and parcel of pinball, the major ones are the far and few and do not even make up a sizable minority in the scheme of things

#5140 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

not entirely agreeing here.
of course they break, but we have seen, a LOT more than the usual amount of issues, than we have had or expected before..... quality has gone down hill, and prices have gone up.... home collectors, and owners have a right to decent quality, much like it was before....
and its not an excuse to slip up on the quality either.... just because people think they are manufactured to put out in the field to make money.

You are correct, but the only way to stop this, of it is the case, is for consumers to stop buying the product. I hate Apple, no ipads or iphones since number 2 in my household.

But point take thanks

#5141 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

With a one year guarantee, I just do not know when it's time to take any legal action?

I don't think there is a correct time frame, but please keep us posted on how you go in the courts. You starting may help others to follow suit.

#5178 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I will - if this isn't resolved soon I will post more details on how I will be proceeding and gathering potential plaintiffs, or however the attorney wants to go about it. Too early to say obviously- but there's a case here, that's for sure. FYI.. fun fact.. look up the lawsuit that was filed against Apple for the GPU defect in 2011 MacBook Pro's. Your's truly helped get that put together.. and had a great outcome

What was the outcome as I didn't see or hear of this in Oz. Must have made the news but missed it.

#5183 7 years ago

Thanks interesting

#5248 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

yeah aint that the truth. they got too much on their plate than to worry about stuff that is not bringing money in..
things started going down the shitter mid last year... those affected are still waiting on replacements. thats not
an acceptable time frame.
i still say they will eventually get around to it..... but its way out of service standard. In the meantime, let them tempt you with Batman 66 Aerosmith and whatever else comes out before the replacements get out there.

Sorry am I missing something here? Apart from anyone who has an 'unplayable' game what is the big deal about the wait? Now if the replacement plan is a sham ok but I'm looking at it more as an opportunity to play the death out of mine and then have a mint game again once the novelty has worn off. Even if you've been given months to live, you still can play. I'm picturing grown men watching a ball go around a playfield and when it passes a ghosted insert raising their arms and walking away. Are the ghosted inserts diverting the natural path of the ball? Does it stop scoring or completing modes? Again am I missing something here.

Oh I forgot to mention. I read on pinside complaints of stern sending out dud replacements. Could the delay be that they wanted to ensure the problem is solved? Is it solved? No lets send out numerous pfs NOW and waste my time. The next gripe if and when they are sent out will be, its not easy replacing these things or they have not been play tested an switches don't work. Fellas I can see this coming a mile away. Now lets hear from REAL ghostbusters owners only

#5253 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

What is the big deal to wait?
I'm sure everyone has their reasons.
Some people may be very anal about the condition of their games, and it may bug them they spent $8,000 of their hard earned dollars on a machine with manufacturing flaws.
Tell me - if you bought a brand new car you worked hard to purchase, and the paint started chipping and flaking off- would you be cool with that since it's not affecting how it drives?
What about those who want to resell it to move onto another game? Would you want to buy it from me for the same price as another GBLE that has a perfect playfield? Yep, didn't think so.
Everyone has their reasons. Mine is that I want to sell it, but I won't get nearly the amount it is worth with a defective playfield. Would you pay the same price for a machine that has a ghosted playfield vs one that doesn't? Didn't think so..

Car analogy, I wouldn't care less seeing the car is being replaced, I'd be doing long road trips and enjoying the car to the max. Selling the game, like I said extraneous circumstances, ok. Now are most ghosted pf owners selling, I don't think so. Stern aren't innocent here, but I won't base my business strategies/actions on the few but rather to get the majority off my back. Now has a solution been found re pf, none of you know I'm betting.

#5284 7 years ago
Quoted from AstonEnthusiast:

So I fall firmly into KPG's statement. I'm very anal about the condition of my games, cars and just about anything else. I do the research and expect what I pay for. When purchasing a NIB game(car or thing-a-ma-jig), it must be free of manufacturing defects. As a consumer, you are purchasing a new item in unused condition void of defects or signs of use. That's why it's new. Stern sells new items which, as such, carries the expectations from consumers that your new game will work, be free of defects or scratches, etc... Rather than blast folks for being picky, maybe Stern should just fix their QC issues? Kind of like that poor dude in the recent Stern tour video with Jody who was doing QC on a play field light box looking for defects, but had to search for the plug and plug it in on camera. Makes me feel *real* secure about the commitment to quality.
I recently purchased a British vehicle to only discover the port made a small paint repair to an area not in immediate view. This was unknown to the dealer, but upon discovery the dealer unwound the deal, ate the loss and apologized profusely with a commitment to make it right. Why, because the 4" paint repair devalued the car by about $20K, it's the right thing to do and the car was sold without defects - it was new. The same arguments hold true for purchasing a new pinball. It should be in new condition, or price the damn things accordingly as sloppy second editions and reduce the price a bit.
Just different levels of service, but one entity owning the issue and another not embracing open communication. The lack of communication has placed consumers in a mindset they must seek legal remedies to resolve. Feel bad for the distributors as they are stuck in the middle.

Hmmmmm, finally I got someone to say it. Now why did you not complain to AM manufacturing direct or better the shipping company. Sue them. No because you paid your money to a dealer who does make some profit for the pleasure of selling you a car. So why are people trying to deal or go the manufacturer and not as you guys call them distros. Let me guess these guys just like giving these games away for zero return. Has anyone suggested to their distro, 'I want my money back or I sue YOU'? I am sure these guys don't have as deep pockets or patience as stern. Send a distro or two to the wall or close to it and see if they continue to not go into bat for you. But I forgot they're nice guys and they have passed on your photos to stern and those bastards are ignoring them. GREAT EXCUSE and ok to many here. Oh where did all the post gb's with ghosting come from? Let me guess stern sold them direct as your nice distros refused to take your money....right??? Maybe Gary didn't know of the problem until last week too.

So has anyone, in writing, actually put a request to their distro on what will appease the deal and in what time frame? If not, why not?

Maybe a few worried distros might get some action going a little quicker than bitching here and think Stern are reading 5000+ posts.

Sorry if I have offended those really concerned gb owners but I truely believe a lot of grand standing is being done by a few that have no intent going Stern or their distro. Just like water, why do you not go the path of least resistance?

But the again what do I know.

#5285 7 years ago

Also to the photos from jjp etc with faults, didn't medievals have a ghosting problem way back when? Is there anyone here with one will to sell me one for a few less than what I see them going for?

My point, a great title will command a good price no matter what in this hobby. A pristine example obviously will command even more.

#5302 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

A friend of mine recently sold his GBLE with lots of ghosting and took a $500 loss. Not too bad of a hit to get rid of a game with a bad playfield. He was happy to see it go.
Terrible first Stern NIB experience for him, he won't be buying another one.

Please elaborate on this loss. $500 from what? Thanks

#5304 7 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

$500 from what he paid for it? I fail to see the travesty with selling a used product for less than a new price? If he's buying an LE with the expectation it's going to be worth more than what he paid for it, then he's buying an LE for the wrong reason perhaps. Plus, here in Canada very few people, if any are going to pay premiums for used games like buyers in the US might. The market isn't big enough and the dollar isn't strong enough.
Rob

A $500 drop is fair for a used game in my opinion but I respect yours. I generally equate the pleasure of unboxing, being first to play it, bragging rights, etc etc etc as the reason you pay a premium in the first place regardless of LE/prem or pro and generally devalues the product and has a real dollar value. Then the time and amount of play/wear and tear depreciates it further. There is no book of rules that says LE equal money spinner. I could buy a metallica LE just prior to the gb release for $2000 less in my country and we tend to pay premium dollars.

Like I said I accept your view but my thoughts is $500 for 6 months or so fun, not having to go to a pizza parlour or such whenever you want to play one is very good value. But that's me and I understand this could be a lone or minority view point. Thanks for your reply though.

Interested to know what you think a gble would have been worth without ghosting and the ghosting fiasco never happened?

#5305 7 years ago

I'm very interested to know, does anyone know of a stern le that is worth/sold for more than its original price once all the initial hype has diminished? Maybe this is a way to invest outside of the property/stock market port folios which are risky in themselves.

#5307 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Tron, for sure. Iron Man (kinda) until the vault edition demolished the inflated market. AC/DC LE and Luci used are still mostly over their launch prices. It happens, but if you're buying for THAT reason, you're in the wrong hobby.

Yeah I'm hearing that about tron. The others I'm seeing prices more reflecting current nib pricing eventhough acdc etc are no longer available. But nib metallica prem is about $10500 in my money and the used LE sold for $9200. It was about $9000 new so in this case it sold for more but replacement cost nib today is much more. Again saw bible acdc here went for 12500 and new le titles are $12500.

#5367 7 years ago

Atm I am very concerned about the slow progress of the petition. By reading the comments here, people were vocal the masses are effected and a riot was eminent. Why am I concerned, if you guys don't pull together in some semblance of unity in a hurry, Stern might even pull the trigger on this imaginary pf swap program. Then I'll be pissed. And please guys, use your whole name, not Jerry G, so hopefully Stern can see you are serious by putting your name to it, or are these just appearing in the comments section and real names are actually on the petition. Btw Good luck

#5373 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Just signed.....maybe not all pinsiders are in here on a weekly basis.

Fair point

#5374 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

My little bubble of enthusiasm re the idea of buying an Aerosmith Pro has evaporated as it's a lottery as to whether you end up with a lemon or not and if/when the code gets done.
There have always been complaints but never seen this volume before.

Life's a lottery but best you don't purchase.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider embryon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious?tu=embryon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.