Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 7 years ago

Holy cow! That's absolutely unacceptable. Imagine putting your game on location and in a week's time the clearcoat starts chipping all over the place. Every Bally, Williams, Data East, and Sega game I work on doesn't show these kinds of issues. Typical insert wear is one thing, but immediate failure on a brand new game that costs as much as a car is infuriating. I'm still looking for a reason to buy Stern games, and I just don't see it.

#188 7 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

Holy cr*p! How did that happen, looks like a Star Trek with 100k+ games on it?

Happened on location not long after he got the game. Some blame it on chipped or pitted balls, but I maintain games that have been neglected, beat to heck, and run into the ground for the past 20 years where changing the balls weren't even a thought. I have NEVER seen catastrophic playfield failure like that. I once saw a Funhouse sitting in a non temperature controlled wearhouse for a number of years after over a hundred thousand plays. The playfield paint was lifting but it wasn't as bad as that Star Trek. I mean, wow. How does this stuff happen?

#210 7 years ago

Oh wow, it gets worse if you don't even play it??

#216 7 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

Yeah, the solution is: burn it down!
Now the cab's decals start to peel of... Man. This is getting ridiculous.
Gotta cancel my GB premium order.

I would. That's just... beyond insane. When you called Stern have they offered to do anything for you?

#222 7 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Yes, you definitely don't come off as a whiny girl

I've had it, welcome to my ignore list.

Quoted from mayuh:

Come on. Don't depict me as I'm a crying little girl here. Thanks.
If you have read the tread you would know by now what's wrong with it. If you didn't, here's the summary:
Backbox lock not working
Front door lock not really working
Shaker only screwed into 3 captive nuts. Thus the forth came out of the cab and ruins it
Lamps fell out (I don't care)
Ghosting on all inserts except for 3 (yet I'm sure it will come)
Ghosting gets worse, even the machine is not played
Cab decals start to peel off
I paid a f*cking €8640 for it. That's a f*cking $9.723,63 on today's rate.
Yeah, I'm gonna cancel.

Vote with your wallet! Don't let the trolls get you down. Use the money to buy 2 tried and true Bally/Williams games (or 3, or 4!).

#264 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Everyone should calm down and actually READ the Stern warranty.
In print, the warranty tells you exactly what Stern does and does not cover:

Wow, that warranty is pathetic. You're telling me the ONLY things that are covered are certain electronics, and even that is only 9 months? And absolutely no playfield, cabinet, mechanism, ramp, habitrail, or playfield driver electronics coverage?

#454 7 years ago

So much for "one off." Gee I didn't see that coming, Hasi.

#472 7 years ago

So wow, two more confirmed cases since yesterday??

#591 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You see it on playfields, even before they are installed.
If you are going to have playfields with real clearcoat, you are going to have some ghosting.

I'm guessing that's a reproduction playfield. I have never seen this happen in person on any brand of game until now.

#720 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

No captions on the hitler vid on my iPad
Can't get to a PC at the moment.

I'll mirror it when I get home.

#737 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I'll mirror it when I get home.

Plop.

#756 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Funny video... people are always so creative with them. Too bad it gives a loser scumbag like Hitler face time...

The fact that Hitler has been reduced to a laughingstock is the whole point of the meme. He's been parodied for generations.

#763 7 years ago

Dimples are normal.

#768 7 years ago

The million dollar question is "Will Stern stand behind their products and make it right for the customer?" If not, it's just going to continue the QA discussion that's been plaguing the brand in recent years.

1 month later
#1697 7 years ago

I wouldn't directly compare Stern's flawed business model with that of modern video game developers, but I'm seeing some similarities. Especially with the consumer base's habit of blindly preordering new titles and a repeated bait and switch outcome with all the QA issues.

#1750 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Also you already see a lot of dimples. So the wood is very soft.

This is normal for all manufacturers, wood dimples with steel balls rolling and bouncing around. It's just the older games have been dimpled so much the wood has been compressed flat, hence you don't see it.

2 weeks later
#3137 7 years ago

Did you make that avatar? If so is there a Facebook page like Where's the Code?

#3207 7 years ago

Did you make that avatar? If so is there a Facebook page like Where's the Code?

#3658 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The wonders of voice to text.....

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#3737 7 years ago
Quoted from Griffin:

lick-n-stick $8000 pinball machine

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#3745 7 years ago

So Stern basically just admitted there was no rigorous quality control program for playfield manufacturers in place before Ghostbusters was made? If so, wow.

#3775 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Somebody call wms

What's the point of your post, that 25 year old Williams games with hundreds of thousands of plays have these types of issues? Because I would expect them to at this point if not much more so. Anyone else with issues on brand new games twice as expensive after just a few hundred plays has serious problems, so your post just bolsters the point. So thanks!

#3778 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

It also proves that ghosting can lead to chipping and that this is a big issue.

If you assume ghosting was a problem when Dracula was brand new; otherwise it's just expected wear and tear on a game that has lasted n-fold as long as any Williams engineer would ever imagine.

#3783 7 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Paraphrasing TPF

Texas Pinball Festival in a nutshell?

#3858 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Listened to your podcast today. Very well done. Can't believe you have been banned multiple times by Stern.

What did he do, use multiple Facebook accounts?

#3861 7 years ago
Quoted from gtxjoe:

Umm, it looks like there is a protective plastic film over the entire keypad. Peel that off like you are supposed to and your keypad will look brand new

The man speaks truth! Quickly, everyone rip off that pesky mylar and your playfield will look brand new! No more ghosting, whoo!

#3867 7 years ago

Wow, more and more cabinet issues too. "Oh hey lets just put some ugly wood filler in where Pedro Gonzales bumped into it with his air wrench and not bother to match the color!"

#3931 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Well said reply by Stern.

I would publicly deliver the invoice in the next comment with details censored of course.

#4160 7 years ago

So you want a bad playfield? I would rather wait until these issues are sorted out (if they are).

#4165 7 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Cancelling was something I felt I had to do given the circumstances. It gave me the opportunity to order FT LE which I played extensively at TPF.

Fish Tales LE, wat?

#4229 7 years ago

Or the clear over that insert has not been applied evenly. Should absolutely not see edges around inserts on a brand new game. Maybe a 20 year old game with hundreds of thousands of plays, but not a new one.

#4234 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

If you're talking about the one at Chief Coffee, you haven't looked very closely ... there are chunks of clear gone, clear is cracked around a couple of inserts (and they're lifting a little), and the saucer on the right is already really beaten up. Shooter lane damage too.
That's about 2 months of play. Albeit in a coffee shop .. but when I was there recently the other games were very busy, and I was the only person that played GB in an hour or so (3 games). Everyone was stuck to Hobbit, WOZ, MM & CV (ST had been sold and switched off).
That's clearly not the kind of terrible wear others are seeing, but it's very bad for a 2 month old game that realistically can't have seen more than 1500 plays, and average ball times are probably extremely short.

Thanks for the detailed observation. In this case the game didn't hold up in terms of attention and physically as well. That's bad news for Stern's market outlook.

#4237 7 years ago

No bueno.

2 weeks later
#4320 7 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

To be fair. I doubt 95%+ of operators even care about a couple of ghosting inserts and will likely not take part in the program. This is probably more driven and utilized by the home collector.

Disagree, I spoke to an operator's employee and he is getting frustrated and dissatisfied with the issues with NIB games.

#4338 7 years ago

Nevermind.

#4385 7 years ago

Look at the price, there ya go.

9 months later
#6056 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The playfield still looked amazing.

Unless you're talking about dirt, I find it hilarious we are talking about playfield condition after just 300 plays. I help route 25 year old games from 4 manufacturers and most of them look better than some of the recent Stern playfields after just a couple of months! These machines have seen several hundred thousand plays over their lifetimes of being turned on either all day or 24/7 depending on location. What happened to quality??

#6086 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Can you imagine what these things would cost with proper quality control??????

Probably less because they would need to stock less parts, eliminate an entire playfield replacement program, and staff less people to take support calls.

#6091 6 years ago

I'm finally replacing my Addams Family ramp... after 25 years on route!

#6095 6 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Looks like that ghosting thing is taken care of

LMAO.

1 week later
#6372 6 years ago
Quoted from master_of_chaos:

maybe STERN should listen to Steve:
» YouTube video

Nailed it.

#6411 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Feels the same as all stern Pros.

Feels good man.

1 week later
#6431 6 years ago
Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

Stern's going to diversify into phones?

JJP beat them to it with Dialed In. I kid, I kid...

1 week later
#6481 6 years ago

Yes it is in fact 2015. Wow, freaking incredible! Selling first-run rejected playfields from 2 years ago and passing them off as new just because Stern thinks they're all of a sudden good enough! Someone needs to start a class action against this company.

#6490 6 years ago

If people call it normal and keep buying, Stern calls it normal and keeps selling. Simple formula. "Oh Stern has REALLY done it this time! That's it, no more... oh did they just announce STARK TREK?!" *plunk*

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Grass Valley, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations
Other
$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Conifer, CO
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 25.50
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious?tu=crash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.