Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider capguntrooper.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4040 7 years ago

I have purchased 3 NIB Stern last year. A TWD pro, Kiss Le and GOT LE and anyone who has read my threads knows the insane amount of issues right out of box I have had to endure. Luckily I have had only one clear issue on the mini play field of the GOTLE that was replaced. That being said If I bought second hand saving myself a thousand or two I would be deeper in the Hole paying for out of warranty replacement parts. Thankfully I have an amazing distributor, JJ at Game Exchange who takes care of me. Now that I am deployed my pins will sit for a year untouched, and I am hoping and praying that the clear does not have issues and that they turn back on for that matter. I was two seconds away from ordering a GBLE but decided to wait and see after hearing of the SMVE issues with play fields and low and behold GB's were turning up with same issues. It seems like Sterns extremely short Warranty covers their arses enough to get over on these clear issues as they will no doubt arise shortly after warranties start ending. It saddens me to say but I may just have to wait on any more NIB Stern products for the foreseeable future and if I do so will have to make sure I am available to troubleshoot Stern products well in advance of my deployments so that I can utilize their very short warranty. My hats off too all you pinside members who have bought NIB from Stern and have wasted countless hours and days getting multiple warranty work done on something that should have been obviously caught in house at Stern. Best of luck to all those buying NIB from Stern.

#4042 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Thank you for your service.
It may not be a bad idea to email JJ and Stern letting them know you are being deployed and the pins will sit untouched for some time and you are concerned with the recent issues. At least that way when you come home if there are issues you have a record of the communication. I will say I doubt Stern would leave a serviceman hang in who was deployed.

Good point and I will most definitely do that! I did so much warranty work on GOT LE JJ has my number memorized. Every time I called he was like whats up Jay? Not once did he ever get frustrated with me and my bazillion questions and concerns.

#4088 7 years ago

I see some people saying "oh don't worry Stern will take care of us" I think their tunes will change when they get their new play fields and have to repopulate it themselves and or fubar their toys and cabinets doing so in the process of switching them out. Sorry but if you told me I could have A GBLE for a 1000 off but would have to redo a play field.......riiiiiiiiiiiight.

#4093 7 years ago

So you get a new populated play field? Good to know. What happens if you drop it or mess up your cabinet while you are in the process of swapping it out though? Is it then your fault you messed up your cab or new play field? I for see many an issue with this.

#4118 7 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Of course it's your fault if you drop your playfield or mess up your cabinet putting it in...

Gotcha, its my fault if I have to replace something that should not have needed replacing in the first place. Not everyone has the ability to pull an entire play field out by themselves or has a buddy they can call so a repair person will need to be hired out of pocket. GB cost just went up 100-300 in price.

#4120 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Come on, you dont have a friend, wife, neighbor or somebody that would help you for 5 minutes to lift the playfield out of your machine and put it in a box? I kind of find that a little hard to believe.

ME? All day long buddy, hell I would even ask you since you can't be that far from Cincinnati on your way to a game some time. The fact is I am sure there are plenty of older collectors with friends that are not so strapping to help muscle a pin, fact that time is money for a lot of people and fact that with a little more QC this would not be an issue. Every one who is having issues is not getting what they paid for and everyone can agree to that.

#4123 7 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Gimme a F'ing break. Shit happens with these machines & if Stern is willing to replace the defective ones with fully populated replacement Playfields thats great. Those that whine about having to put them back in the cabinet probably shouldn't even have a machine in their house. I had an issue with my ACDC Luci & my distributor was able to get me a New populated PF which me & a friend swapped out. It took a little time but I was happy they took care of the issue. I'd wager any owner with issues would be more then happy to take the time to swap out a fully populated PF if offered it by Stern.

So then if you had the option of buying a GB with ghosts....pun intended.... and one without, which one are you going to take? BUT WAAAAAAIT, you can just get a replacement from Stern don't whiiiiiiiiiine about it. Camooooooon dude, you really gonna sell me a cup of piss and tell me its lemonade? Not a single person here wants to spend hours and days trying to convince Stern that their pin needs a replacement field, as they go "case by case" then IF they get approved, wait on a replacement, coordinate with a friend to swap it out then repackage the FUBAR POS back to Stern by driving it to UPS...........Look, I got no skin in the GB game because I canceled my order like so many others, but let me ask everyone here this. I have a GOT LE and KISS LE which are sitting in my house untouched for what will be a year as I am on deployment, when I get back and notice ghosting on my machine, you think Stern will replace them?

#4124 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

And I would definitely help you out also for sure. I see your point but thats a very rare occurrence that would be an issue I would think. I mean Stern can only do so much, and I think sending a new populated playfield is satisfactory truthfully. Its also exactly what Stern should do also. If they are going to charge a premium for their games then they definitely should be obligated to back them up too.

Agreed, and thanks, I will hit you up if I need a play field swap. If Stern really wanted to make it right the whole "case by case" thing would be nixed and anyone with a messed up GB should get a replacement regardless of original purchaser or not. I mean stand by your product right?

#4133 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Are you from Cincy?

YUP!

Quoted from ledge:

i think there's more than enough existing issues, to get the ball rolling from Sterns end.

Except the ball is a square stone you have to push up hill.....lol. A lot of us know how they fixed the GOT PREM/LE debacle. They just rewrote code for an engineering/hardware flaw changing the way the game is played so as to NOT fix the issue.

1 week later
#4244 7 years ago
Quoted from marvinmax:

Update on my machine with playfield issues, which could be interesting for European GBLE buyers with issues....
My playfield has 4 ghosting insert not out of the box, but after about 50 games. Made pictures and send them to my distributor and Stern. My distributor was on holiday for 4 weeks, got his reaction 2 days ago. From the pictures I send him 5 weeks ago my playfield situation was not bad enough he said. The same day I got a reaction from Stern (by e-mail) that my case was still under investigation and no decision was made yet..... Strange.... Mailed my distributor with Sterns reaction and asked him how it is possible that Stern tells me something different from his story. Still waiting on his answer.
I also send new pictures to the distributor and Stern, because my playfield has gotten worse in the last couple of weeks. Seems like the extra ball insert and the light storage facility insert are sinking into the playfield. If you rub over these insert with a finger you can feel that they are 'sunken'. The clear coat at bottom of the extra ball insert is cracked (you can feel that clearly if you go over it with a fingernail) and it seems the clear coat at the light storage facility insert is starting to crack (see pictures). Here a pictures taken yesterday, what do you think? Should my playfield be "in the program"?

WOW! looks like you may be the poster child for Class action law suit against Stern if you get denied. That whole "case by case" schtick is BS! It should be one ghost, one chip, one crack or defect in play field and you get a new play field. You bought NIB you should get NIB, not NIB with bad play field you may or may not get replaced. Even if Stern fixes your FUBAR play field, the fact of the matter is you have no say so in what you get from them, Stern decides if they want to stand behind their product or not with "case by case" statements, their warranty reads as follows "STERN PINBALL INC LIMITED WARRANTY. Will be free of defects in material and workmanship" Until they actually stand by their warranty for EVERYONE, I am done buying NIB from them.

1 week later
#4295 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I don't think they will at all. Hence why Stern won't look after people. The cheapening is to increase margins. Replacing stuff (with higher quality product) would lower them again. Though given the scope of the problem, I'd be surprised if nobody in the US initiates a lawsuit.
Outside the US, it's very different. In the EU the sellers are legally obligated to fully repair, replace or refund the owners at no cost to them, given that the goods are demonstrably faulty. If this drags on, some who want resolution will force the resellers' / distributors' hands. At that point, if Stern still won't budge, it'll be the latter that take them to court. Some will be forced to, as they won't be able to sustain the losses incurred by Stern's inaction.

When Distributors start getting chargebacks and have a whole warehouse of returned pins, THEN the distributors will start declining orders from Stern and THEN Stern maaaaaaaaaaaay make a change. On the off shoot chance some one orders a pin and it is FUBAR and that person is a savvy lawyer............maaaaaaaaaybeeeee, but doubtful he or she goes after Stern, but if it does happen and he or she wins.........OPEN THE FLOOD GATES! My buddy has a GB and seems to be problem free......for now......but with all this drama I will not own a GB new or used for fear that a year down the road it starts ghosting (pun intended) and I am SOL. Unless Stern implements a year long warranty, which will never happen, I am out for good.

#4303 7 years ago
Quoted from marvinmax:

My distributor called me yesterday. He met Gary in person on Sunday (Gary was in Europe he said). This is what Gary said about the issues in general, what also counts for my playfield:
- Stern will replace all the bad playfields, mine included. What he understood is that Stern will look at each case individually.....
- in January Stern will ship the new playfields to everyone, and not before. My distributor didn't mention how this is done, so I asked him (no answer yet). I assume that it's the same procedure as mentioned earlier: the customer gets a return box to send the bad playfield to stern, after they receive it, a new one is send to the owner. So a complete playfield swap.
So the program that is mentioned for the USA applies to European customers as well and I can't imagine the rest of the world. So everyone who has issues and haven't informed their distributor / seller, let them know!
Will Stern make this 'program' public in the upcoming month? Let's hope so!

WOW! Whats the time frame on a return GB play field? A month, 3 months? Good on Stern for replacing the play fields but no one, specially operators are going to want an empty pin sitting in their locations. I have to laugh when he said "Stern will replace all the bad play fields" then goes right into saying "Stern will look at each case individually....." Contradict much?

#4315 7 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

To be fair. I doubt 95%+ of operators even care about a couple of ghosting inserts and will likely not take part in the program. This is probably more driven and utilized by the home collector.

Put yourself in an ops shoes, If I tell you your GB will have ghosting issues are you buying one? NOPE, resale value goes down when you want to dump it and a decent OP will disclose the issues of the pin and likely scare off a potential buyer unless it is priced fairly low.

#4325 7 years ago
Quoted from Rokablly:

I just got the email saying my GB Premium is being shipped to my distributor today and payment is due (only the deposit was paid). What is the consensus, is it safe, do I pull the trigger or is it not safe and I should cancel?

If you do, plan on keeping it unless you want to take a bigger loss down the road when you resell. The biggest problem and first questions that will be asked about it will be concerns of the play field. IMO cancel, not worth the hassle of having to possibly swap the play field, that is if Stern decides to honor their own warranty once you beg for permission.

#4336 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I'll state it again: Playfield problems are solved.
Officially we have to wait for a few weeks/months before everyone is going to agree, but new Premiums are being received without complaints.
To each their own; if you feel better waiting, there's nothing wrong with that strategy.

Well you heard it guys and gals, the Stern factory in Canada has fixed the Play Field issues.......wait.....
Unless Stern releases a statement declaring the issues have been resolved and extend a warranty on all their "NEW" play fields (like that will ever happen), I will be waiting for over a year to buy another Stern to make sure their "NEW" clear process has been resolved. At this point considering all the issues from their last four pins and if Stern CHOOSES to honor their own warranty, they are considered a high risk purchase at this point. Now when people get a NIB from Stern and there is something wrong, the first thought that pops into peoples heads will be, "OOOOOOOOOOO, you have a case by case issue. I hope Stern decides to honor their warranty and maybe fix your problem once you ask permission."

#4360 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I'm telling you: problems are fixed. The new Premiums that have arrived appear to be problem free.
Go ahead and give me thumbs down, or whine and complain all you want -but I challenge anyone to ACTUALLY FIND A PROBLEM PLAYFIELD ON A GB PREMIUM MANUFACTURED IN THE PAST 2 WEEKS OR NEWER.
That's the test. Not whether some guy presently working at the Stern factory in Kabul says so. Especially since many of these guys have been ripping into Stern non-stop for days.

At no point in time have I ever said they were not fixed. I am simply not purchasing a Stern pin until they can improve their track record, the last four pins they have made all have increased in price and decreased in quality, prime example an STLE seemed like the gold standard, put it next to any other LE after that and well its obvious to everyone not azz licking Stern. Not a Stern hater at all, just pointing out the facts of their pins and how they are choosing to honor their warranties.

BTW, my job at the Stern factory in Kabol Afghanistan, AKA deployed U.S. Military member, helps to preserve a lot of peoples rights here to call you an annoying Stern AZZ licker making false accusations, just because we do not agree with you.

#4373 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

This is the most ridiculous contradicting sentence I've read today.
You can't say "problems are fixed" followed by "appear to be problem free"
Appear to be problem free is just a guess. No where near long enough to be sure.

LOL, I was going to mention that, but figured anyone not drinking the koolaid could see that. Back on topic though and without speculation. My biggest concern is that Stern stated they will review each issue on a "case by case". Just by saying that they are voiding their own warranty and reserving the right to decide if owners are worthy of a replacement. That in itself is not sitting well with a lot of people here. For that reason alone I am personally steering clear of Stern, compile all the other reasons and a lot of other people are swearing off Stern completely and they are completely justified in doing so.

IMHO they are too big for their Bridget's and need to be knocked down a few pegs and earn back their consumer base trust. As it stands now Stern, AKA Caesar decides who is worthy of their warranty with a thumbs up or down. “The time for honoring yourself will soon be at an end, HIGHNESS .”

#4388 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

so they just rely on pics from the buyer to ascertain whether the playfield makes the grade for a swap ?

Yup, Stern decides if they want to honor their warranty and give you a new play field. Bottom line should be if you bought a stern NIB and it has one teeny tiny ghosting issue you should get a swap, its not like the issue will improve for the better. It will get worse over time at that point you resubmit your claim with more ghosting issues but since you were denied the first time you are most likely screwed, unless you think Stern will change their mind....pffft.

#4397 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

You should read the warranty (below) -the playfield isn't covered. At all.
That puts both Stern and the buyer in an interesting situation. Stern can legally tell buyers to pound sand, but then people stop buying future products. Then again, at what point is a full exchange warranted? 1 slightly ghosting insert? 1 fully ghosting insert? 3? 4?
Another good point you made is: do ghosting inserts indicate future issues are more likely to pop up? THAT'S what would concern me.
Zero ghosting today, chipped playfield 6 months from now? Hope not.
6.2 WARRANTY
500-55H6-01
Stern Pinball machines are assembled in Elk Grove Village, Illinois, USA; each pinball machine has unique characteristics that make it a one-of-a-kind Amer- ican-made product. Each machine will have variations in appearance resulting from differences in the machine’s particular wood parts, individual silk screened art and mechanical assemblies. Stern Pinball has inspected each game element to insure it meets stringent quality and playability standards.
STERN PINBALL INC LIMITED WARRANTY
Stern Pinball Inc (‘SELLER’) warrants only to the initial purchaser of its products that the items listed below are free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use and service for the warranty period specified:
• Printed circuit boards (game logic): 2 months
• Dot Matrix Display boards: 9 months
No other parts of seller’s product are warranted.
Warranty periods are effective from the initial date of shipment from seller to its authorized distributors.
Seller’s sole liability shall be, at its option, to repair or replace products which are returned to seller during the warranty peri- ods specified, provided:
1. Seller is notified promptly upon discovery by purchaser that stated products are defective.
2. Such products are properly packaged and then re-
turned freight prepaid, to seller’s plant.
This warranty does not apply to any parts damaged during shipment and/or due to improper handling, or due to improper installation or usage, or alteration. In no event shall the seller be liable for any anticipated profits, loss of profits, loss of use, accidental or consequential damages, or any other losses incurred by the customer in connection with the purchase of a Stern Pinball Inc Product.
WARRANTY DISCLAIMER
Except as specifically provided in a written contract between seller and pur- chaser, there are no other warranties, express or implied, including any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

Thanks for pointing out their warranty is for shit. I have just been going off Stern support's word when I had a play field issue and they replaced it saying it was under warranty. Silly me

Quoted from stoptap:

We've said it before and we will say it again, here in Europe that Stern 'warranty' isn't worth the paper it is written on.
You want to sell stuff in Europe ? You abide by European consumer law.

TRUTH

#4478 7 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

You cracked the case!

I see what ya did there

#4534 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Brings up an interesting issue, down the road when GB is not being made and NIB games come up for sale, guessing manufacture date is going to be really important to look at. Not like two years from now Stern is going to swap a playfield. Even with dates on boxes, I'd be concerned, no guarantee bad playfields won't find their way back into the production line.

Only way I would buy a GB at this point is if it is HUO that had its PF swapped and has about a year on it with no signs of PF shenanigans.

1 week later
#4653 7 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I wonder if the program covers bubbled inserts? Almost all the colored jeweled inserts on my game have this. No ghosting though...
Rob

Let us know if that counts

#4690 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Ghosting
I just had the opportunity to play a brand new GB Premium this weekend. It was put straight into public play after being set up. I talked to the owner about the playfield issues, and he said the playfield date was October. I also noticed and verified that it had the new thin PET-G playfield protector installed. It probably had over 100 plays by the time I got there to check it out. The Super Jackpot had ghosting. I came back the next day to check again, I estimate 100+ plays later, and now Add A Ball and Tobin's Spirit Guide had also ghosted significantly. I will add the pics I took later.
Playfield Protector thoughts
Obviously, the protector did nothing to prevent ghosting. Some other thoughts on the protector... Curiously, contrary to what I've heard, it slightly dulls the sheen of the new playfield. The playfield looked glossier at the exposed edges. I did not notice any difference in play physics. The game played fast and there were tons of air balls, but that seems to be standard on GB. I did not notice any shifting of the protector. The owner hoped it would protect from dimpling, and looking closely, it did probably help a little: the dimpling looked less pronounced then on the new, unprotected ST Premium I recently acquired.
GB Premium thoughts
A shout out and big thanks to the owner for putting it out in public, I really enjoyed playing it. I did think it was more fun than the pro. I was looking forward to see the Pepper's ghost effect, but was underwhelmed by that. The right lower "270-degree" ramp (not sure what folks are calling it) seems to have been a compromise to the original design. I probably played close to 20 games and many seemingly good shots would almost make it up, but come right back down. I wonder if that's common and if it can be tuned, I think I only hit it twice. The lane guide jumping is as annoying as I've heard. The scoop shot SDTM about 50% of the time, but fortunately the ball save helps. I hadn't heard the screaming lady (librarian?) when I played the pro before, and that was impressive! With the flipper gap and outlane hopping, the game is definitely more challenging than most, making for some lame-scoring games. But I still had fun, scoring 200m+ a few times, and getting on a roll for 750m one game. Thumbs up from me.

Aw crap, some one better tell chambahz to change his dates again. If they are ghosting on OCT builds then I bet those BM66 builds are not going to be all that great as well.

2 weeks later
#4953 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Now that you have a JJP game, you might notice that it barely dimples vs a Stern game. My Hobbit playfield is pretty much glass smooth after about 500 plays or so since I've had it. There's definitely some type of difference, but dimpling never really bothered me.

My thoughts exactly. When I played JJP the first time at an expo I asked how many plays the machine had and the distributor said around 13,000 plays on it as it was a tour piece. I asked if I could touch the play field and was kind enough to oblige me. The play field felt smooth as glass and looked knew, so I was impressed right off the bat about that.

1 week later
#4987 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Amazing. So Stern has been pumping out problematic games and they send you that?
"Dear Mr. Johnson, sorry about your warped playfield. Please accept this perfectly sh*ty playfield manufactured during a time that known playfield problems emerged. P.S. - Enjoy the ghosting. -Stern's Epic Marketing Dept."

So if ghosting happens again do you get another play field? "Oh wait, you are now past your warranty since its January"......technically we do not even need to replace the first one because it is not covered in our warranty anyway......uuuuugh, I am glad I passed on GB

1 month later
#5315 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Exactly- they could have easily had a form that people filled out online for playfield issues, or even a site dedicated to it.
Instead, they decided to make a dedicated website and application form for a $15K Batman SLE edition.
You can see where their heads are at with that one.

EXACTLY

Quoted from iceman44:

I would say F minus.
And its so easy to fix.
Need to get a signed customer petition going or some kind of attention getter. The random ramblings on Pinside don't seem to be doing any good. And people are going to keep buying them because they love pinball, but how about some respect for the customers.

I think KPG has started something along these lines. I know that if I return home from my deployment and see any ghosting on my GOT LE and KISS LE that have sat in my home for a year I will be contacting STERN but will most likely get the F-OFF treatment like others have. If that happens I will ask KPG to add me to the list.

#5317 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Please sign this petition if you have been affected by a defective Stern Pinball product, or support Stern Pinball Inc. assisting customers in the pinball community who have been affected:
https://www.change.org/p/gary-stern-replace-defective-stern-pinball-machine-playfields?recruiter=662410736&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink
My attorney has requested that I first start this petition and get signatures before the next step- thanks!

SIGNED! Thanks for spear heading this!

#5414 7 years ago

For the Stern ARMY who believe they always make it right in the end I have a few questions?

1. When Kiss owners were told early last year code would fix features and inserts on game not working. Do you still think they will make this right as we approach year two or is this just another WOF........yes yes I know dead horse, but legitimate question.

2. GOT LE/PREM owners were told the left orbit issue had a mechanical issue they would resolve and they corrected this by rewriting code to "FIX" hardware issues. Is this acceptable?

3. For those who have games with one teeny tiny ghosting issue, but no worries it doesn't bother you so its ok. Do you honestly think a second hand buyer will buy your game over another one with NO ghosting?

4. If you were unfortunate enough to receive KPG's machine and are still waiting 6+ months for a fix would you still be defending Stern?

I get that a lot of people have had great experience from Stern in the past in resolving issues as I have as well. The fact is of late there most recent games have fallen short of their past games in several ways ranging from poor customer service in resolving mass issues to cheaply made parts falling apart. If you want to defend Stern go for it, but probably not on a thread where the majority of people are voicing their distaste in the way Stern has been operating of late.

I would also like to take advantage of this BET KPG is in on as well, but instead of money going into my pocket I would bet my $100 bucks on KPG's win to support pinside via donation.

#5444 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I can see Gary busting a playfield over KPG's head right now! lol

It wouldn't do much damage to KPG as those play fields fall apart to easily

#5449 7 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I have no skin in the game yet but love the thread.
I will be a nib buyer one day, if I'm lucky.

Hope you aint afraid of no ghosts. On a serious note, May the odds be ever in your favor.

1 month later
#5801 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

More to the point, has the OP got a new playfield?

Yes, but more to the point of the point. Did owners get their replacements of their replacements? Two that I have seen just on pinside had replacement duds that immediately ghosted like in Phbooms case, 40 plays and ghosts were back.

This thread should keep going until everyone aint afraid of no ghost.

1 week later
#5869 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Is coding really that terribly bad though? I know Batman is just God awful, but what else is? I was always under the impression that Kiss was a disaster but right now as we speak you got guys talking about how the Kiss code is pretty good and only need minor work done to it. What games other than BM66 are so bad? Im not saying there arent any, im just asking.

Kiss is bad if you own it, if you're a casual player and don't get to involved with rules it's a great shooter. Once you start noticing the missing features and missing call outs that could litterelly be cut and pasted from the bin files already in the code but are not implemented in the game, then you get annoyed

#5875 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah I know Eskaybee but I fall into that average or casual player group that Capguntrooper is talking about. I dont even come close to knowing and understanding the rules of these games like alot of you guys on here. I can't even wrap my head around some of the things that you guys talk about sometimes, its true and im not too embarrassed to admit it.
I just pick up bits and pieces from you guys and learn a little here and there, and sometimes you guys get so deep into the rules that it makes me scratch my head. Im ok with that though because that helps me enjoy my games longer, because im always learning. For me, GOT seems like it has great rules , because I just dont know it like you do and im obviously not as good of a player as you either. I havent even been to the Iron Throne yet on GOT, and I may never get there for all I know. I consider myself a decent player, but the iron throne isnt easy to achieve.
I think Capguntrooper nailed it. Most players just dont see these games in the same way as the really good players do. I learn alot from people like you on here for sure, but sometimes im kinda glad that I don't understand some of the things that you guys are taking about even if I am trying to reach that point. I love pinball and its my main hobby now, but i just havent studied the rule sets hard enough to put myself on that level yet. When i use to race cars, i was at that level because its all i thought about 24/7, but i just havent put myself there with pinball yet, even though i do love it alot. Anyway I'm rambling, not sure if any of that makes sense to you but I think it probably does.

When you find that you are playing your pins less or get bored try studying the rule sets and accomplishing some of the higher wizard modes. It is then, you will start noticing the bugs and missing features of a game and even have suggestions of your own for code improvement. I mean look at all us GOT LE/PREM owners, we raised such a stink on hardware faults with the machine, Stern rewrote the code to accommodate hardware defects. The fastest way to get Stern to do code on a machine, point out hardware defects or topper issues I.E. KISS.

Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 05.14.44 (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-03-11 at 05.14.44 (resized).png

#5877 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The last sentence of your post is why I'm done, for now, with Stern.
I love Ghostbusters but I won't drop nearly $7k on a premium that doesn't have substantial code updates being released. Ghostbusters has a lot of cool features but they will never reach their potential if the code isn't deep enough.
Theme alone, no matter how much I like it, won't get me to spend $7k. I rather spend another $1k-2k and get a Dialed In that I know will be loaded up and have deep and unique code with substantial updates that don't take 6 months to a year (or longer) to come out.

and at least you won't be afraid of no ghosts....

1 month later
#5990 7 years ago

Tell your a what, all you canucks PayPal me a buck and I'll send ya a receipt for the "repair job" I did on your machines Why else would ya bring it back from states?

2 months later
#6045 6 years ago

My buddies Kiss machine, he got it used, but still SMH.

IMG_5580 (resized).JPGIMG_5580 (resized).JPG

IMG_5579 (resized).JPGIMG_5579 (resized).JPG

#6047 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

It came from the factory looking like that?!? Almost unbelievable.

Not sure as he is second owner. A game two years old should NEVER do that.

#6063 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

wtf was ghosting issue never resolved? Stern QC on GB courtesy of Jody Dankberg beginning at 11:03 mark.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=UR2WflOczwU

I like how the QC machine wasn't even plugged in.....WOW!

#6069 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Can you imagine what these things would cost with proper quality control??????

CHEAPER! Here is why

Lets say you have one employee per a thousand machines checking for issues and you pay him 20 dollars and hour and for sake of argument he only checks 20 machines in a work day (8hr=WD) this formula equates to $8,000 per 1,000 machines. ($8 per machine)

Cost guestamite breakdown for loss of QC averaged from small tiny missing nuts and bolts to entire play field replacement.

1. Shipping costs to and from for replacement parts ($35)
2. Replacement parts cost ($20)
3. Paying hourly costs to support staff to diagnose issues ($10)
4. Paying hourly costs to receivers and runner to package replacement parts ($5)
5. Packaging material cost ($5)
6. Bad press=loss of business ($25)
7. Loss of repeat business ($20)

TOTAL $120 per machine and only 1-10 machines needs QC work thats $12,000 with a net loss of $4,000 per 1,000 machines.

I understand that not every machine will have issues That is why I am using the 1-10 scale and lets be honest its WAAAAAAAAAY more than that. I have bought four NIB from Stern in past, ALL, needing multiple warranty work.

1 week later
#6261 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Don't have much time on TWD, may need to revisit it. It seems like code revisions have elevated it.
I was initially underwhelmed by the feel of the playfield, ie. clunky orbit and well walker bash toy, prison doors bash toy that open to reveal a bash toy and ramp that lifts to reveal a ... bash toy.

Playing TWD with the Voice over MOD is like playing a completely different game. A must have if playing TWD, I didn't care for it all that much until I loaded the voice files.

#6265 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Pretty sure there have been several times when characters say the name of places that are featured in the game during the show.
When they are heading to and reach places in each session they often do a lot of talking about them so there must be some create audio clips that could be lifted featuring - CDC, barn, terminus, tunnel, prison and they definitely say shoot a lot in the show, with some creative editing and cutting, these could be made to direct the player like the original hillbilly callouts.

You are correct. The first voice mod wasn't 100% for directional call outs, but over time the Voice mod development was very detailed. In any case, I was always ok with layout and came on the heels of old code, so I was just learning rule sets before code really improved. Tie the character voices and I loved the machine.

#6269 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The Game of Thrones left orbit diverter "fix" is the clearest incontrovertible confirmation Stern often doesn't care. A fix for the bad diverter design/install that COMPLETELY BROKE the Martell mode was supposedly coming forever. Then they issued a software update that disabled it and said it was working "as designed" which was complete bull. Even disabling it, the Martell mode was broken because the ball took way longer going through the pops than around the orbit, eating valuable time off the mode clock. To say it was "as designed" was a slap in the face to owners and Steve Ritchie, but of course he can't say anything publicly. I'm sure he's still pissed.
The crazy thing is a fix wouldn't have cost that much (change the shape of the diverter arm a little), and the problem was found early enough that all newer GoT off the line at that time could have had it installed at the factory, costing very little. Stern chose to lie about it and move on. That's a lack of caring.
» YouTube video

Just to caveat on what you are saying, Steve Ritchie did acknowledge the issue with the diverter arm at a pinball convention and it was recorded but since removed from youtube. Also more than a few people at STERN and distributors early on said the exact same thing.

#6277 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

He acknowledged after the "as designed" lie? I didn't know that. Like I said, I bet he's still pissed about that.

This was before the "UPDATE FIX" during first few months of GOT release.

#6329 6 years ago

Curious if pinside thinks ghosting is now normal on NIB. Take the poll, if yes I am curious to know why.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-new-policy-ghosting-is-normalor-is-it#post-3889753

#6404 6 years ago

Any one here having a ghosting KISS LE?

#6415 6 years ago

Quoted from skywalker:

Any pics to prove this statement please.

Churchill play field

Ghosting inserts and cracking clear in the shooter lane and out hole. This game also sat inside my house for two weeks before being played and a play field protector was installed, untouched by pinballs. the cracked clear happened in less than 200 plays. I went on deployment and after a year of the game not being played I inspected my KISS LE to find more than a few inserts ghosting just from sitting untouched. Sorry for the poor quality of video I also forgot to show the drum insert and super ramps insert ghosting which is under a ramp. Imagine 5 years from now what the game will look like. I hope Stern can figure this issue out because I like their machines, I am just not going to buy something IMHO that should not do what they are claiming now to be normal.

1 week later
#6427 6 years ago

For NIB owners recently I have a question. If you run your fingers over play field can you feel the inserts slightly raised, I mean barely higher than mylar is but just the slightest raise under clear? Or is it smooth like the rest of the play field?

#6429 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Should be smooth because the insert are glued in the playfield and after wards the entire playfied gets sanded down. Afterwards, graphics are printed and then clearcoat is applied. If you feel something it means the insert is lifting. Mind you a micron won't change much but if it keeps progressing you'll get a lifting insert. Sometimes the clearcoat is so thing that what you are feeling is the ink layer (TF is a great example of that)

Thanks, got a PF replacement and every insert is raised lightly, just kinda wondering if this will be a problem in near future

#6440 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

If this pin was a few years old and looked like that I would think nothing of it and it would not affect the value to me at all. Its so minor, the problem is in 5 years the playfield might be trashed. It will be interesting to see what these look like in 5 years. No one knows what will happen long term. How bad did some of the Ghostbusters get before being swapped?

EXACTLY! Some would say, "oh its not that bad and it dosent affect game play at all" and they pop on pics of a B/W with major ghosting. Well if a 20+ year old pin has ghosting fine........20+ years vs a few months........its not even a general in the ball park discussion there. Now add outhouse and shooter lane chipping........those inserts are toast inside three years, but lets just say for argument sake not so. A lot of people do not want total the chance of that happening with a HUO buy. Well the new FS threads are going to have to start adding ghosting or no ghosting with the HUO label.

#6443 6 years ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

What game is that on?

SW

Quoted from TheLaw:

Well yeah they pretty much have basically...not title but yeah you gotta have pics of those inserts for sure.
And that many inserts above...all right out of the box...jeez.

I wouldn't touch that game with a 2k drop, I am sure it wouldn't bother some, but I aint gambling with that kinda money

#6464 6 years ago
Quoted from AtTheArcade:

Man...what really stinks about this is all of us with games from last year that have playfields that need to be replaced. I've been waiting on a replacement for my GBLE for over a year now. I was trying really hard to get one a few months ago when everyone was reporting the issue was gone but now here we are again.
It'll be very disappointing if I get a replacement playfield and have ghosting again.

Just installed my replacement KISS LE play field and the quality is noticeably different, not for better. I am hoping not to catch anymore ghosting as well. Now if I can just get Stern to replace the Game of thrones drop target they put on the kiss machine for the correct one, that would be swell

#6468 6 years ago

Kiss of Thrones anyone?

IMG_6111 (resized).JPGIMG_6111 (resized).JPG

#6471 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Wow! Literally no words for the screw ups Stern are continuing to make, its at the point where its laughable now.
Can you explain what you mean about the noticeable difference in quality of the playfields and it not being for the better? I have a replacement playfield due hopefully sometime this year for my BM66, so you have me curious and a little worried.

1. Clear coat seems noticeably thinner
2. Inserts are noticeably felt on play field (I have other Sterns where play field clear coat feels smoother over inserts)
3. Play field plastics and mechs seem like they are second run/bottom of the bin (noticeable lesser quality)
4. Other left side drop targets had to be adjusted as they would not drop due to being to close to play field
5. Play field was literally covered in dust like, it was a first run and back in the day QC decided it wasn't good quality so it was set aside and now all of a sudden its good enough for a replacement.

While I appreciate the swap from Stern as it was needed. I am worried that in a years time the new play field will have the same issues if not more and worse. Here is hoping not....

#6475 6 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

I received a replacement KISS Pro PF. On the new one, while the clear coat looks fantastic, the printing quality is a step down from the original. The colors seem a bit washed out, especially for the black on clear inserts. In hindsight I might have preferred the original PF with ghosting LOCK insert and chipped inlane with more vibrant colors over the replacement.
capguntrooper: Did you notice the same with your new replacement?

Unfortunately, yes. I am starting to think the replacements are being pulled from the scratch and dent/off color bins.

#6478 6 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

The hits just keep on coming.
Next up, Sparky in a Star Wars machine as the emperor.

Don't be ridiculous, The Death Star will be replaced with Gene Simmons head from Kiss.......

4 weeks later
#6544 6 years ago
Quoted from AtTheArcade:

Just a quick picture I took with the glass on but you can see a little something going on to the left of the "g" in storage facility. Hopefully that's not ghosting.

Sure looks like it, take a close up with glass off and send to your distro to start process again.

#6556 6 years ago

Stern was hacked see link for details and how to safe guard your computer and identity.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-hacked-do-not-open-invoice-emails-from-stern#post-3975943

#6558 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Probably more likely Stern was phished.

There site is having issues as well, just try using a customer support form and you will see what I mean with cut off words and odd characters in different browsers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 149.00
Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider capguntrooper.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious?tu=capguntrooper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.