Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Has the price of games gone down due to these cost saving moves? Nope, actually they have gone up!

This has everything to do with the fact that we all keep paying the prices. Thanks to JJP, who showed that the market would happily open its wallet for $7.5-9K games... why wouldn't Stern keep raising their prices? They'd be fools not to.

As long as we all keep slapping money down, the prices will continue to rise...quality or no quality.

#45 7 years ago

To OP: I think Stern will make this right. I just bought a NIB pin through a US distributor that had two issues (armor ding, head decal ding) and Stern sent replacements right away. No hassle.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

Stern's QC is a joke; on my Metallica LED, they put the red fuel light on the 'full' side instead of the 'empty' side.

Ouch.

Did they give you a new one?

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Because Stern doesn't give a shit
Carguments were ruled out of Pinside in 2015; please stop.

Stern does care. They've always stepped in to help me with NIB games I've bought - no call to distributor...just direct contact.

Does that mean they are perfect? Absolutely not.

You have to consider that Stern is selling a product that will have some amount of error in it. Just like JJP and Spooky. Manufacturing results in some amount of error. It's just a fact of life.

Back in the day, this error was likely overlooked because the machines were immediately thrust into a money earning roll at just about any kind of location you can imagine. Most operators can barely be bothered to replace a light bulb let alone care about a cosmetic issue (and most customers playing a game would never begin to look for errors, even on a new machine).

The home collector adds in a whole new layer to this process. Now, I don't disagree with the OP bring upset... Seems legit... But you have to imagine that Stern must have to deal with some over the top nit picking. It's very hard to tell - over the Internet - (a) how someone approached Stern and (b) what the actual problem was and (c) if the problem is really that bad.

the fact that home buyers are now shelling out $5-9k for new games certainly has changed the game... And manufacturers are really under the spotlight.

#101 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Operators in general taking much better care of their games than in the past.
The entertainment market demands it, or the operators folded. Hence, the few primary operators that remained in business through the 2000s and the same ones that are making some revenue now continue the cause.
Venues are no longer arcades they are "barcades". If the games won't play properly they patrons won't come back and go somewhere else where the operators do care, because choices are now back on the rise.

Probably a topic for another thread - I agree that there seems to be a movement to care (at least there are vocal operators on the net saying they care)... But I've run into location pinball all over the country in the last several years that's abysmally bad. Florida, VA, MD, NY, Vancouver...

I'd say 60-70% of locations (not total games, but locations) that I've seen have machines that are hurting.

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballbuyer:

Good luck with Stern or your distributor. I will never buy another new Stern because of my experience with a Kiss machine I bought new. Neither Stern or my distributor resolved or cared about my new machines issues. I wrote a polite letter to Gary Stern months ago and never got a responce. I was so upset with it I sold the machine at a loss to get it out of my house. I know several people that had issues of quality control with new machines. Its just not worth the money to buy a new machine and deal with issues for such a price and the way I was treated by Stern they have lost me forever on new purchases. I hope they treat you better and resolve it for you. Good luck..

What were the issues?

I bought a NIB TWD a few weeks ago...had a few minor issues (a dinged decal and armor piece with a big scratch on it) ... Stern took care of the problems. Maybe they were small enough that they have no issue helping... curious to know what you were dealing with?

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

At least with this thread you can see who the Stern apologists are. They are the reason that Stern keeps doing this crap. We also need to stop calling Sterns efforts "cost savings" this is nothing more than them upping the net profit per game while giving cheaper product in return. It will eventually catch up to them. Even if Stern kept cutting corners until they made a Zizzle like pinball machine some here would still claim it as the best pinball Stern has ever made.

Yeah - shame on a company charging what the market is actually willing to pay.

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

At this point I am shaking my head that people are running out and spending this kind of money on a toy for the "NIB" experience.
Perfectly good SM's were available for fairly reasonable prices, at least you get to inspect them prior to laying out your cash? Buying used has risks, buying new has risks, honestly at this point I would rather just get a used game than have to deal with unknown QC, cheaped out games, and unknown final code quality.
Why not just buy a finished game from 2-50 years ago?

buying a NIB game is obviously a personal choice, but a ton of fun. Don't think that a few complaints on the 'net equate to 100% "unknown QC, cheaped out quality." I feel bad for the OP... But you must realize that there are more happy customers than disastified customers.

You can find just as many horror stories from folks that got ripped off on deals made on used games. Hell, my last used purchase came from an in-person buy and the seller outright lied about some issues. Secretly handed me his problems with deceit. It's not like being used is 100% safe.

#164 7 years ago

Sad we're reaching a point where players/collectors are being told they're ignorant for spending personal money in a way that (A) makes them happy or (B) they see fit.

Is Stern perfect? Nope.

Have they been pumping out absolutely killer games with great replay value? Yep.

I've seen a lot over my years to know that life is way too short to over analyze what you buy in a hobby like this.

You like it? You can afford it? Then buy it if you want... and enjoy the games.

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I was just blown away by the insert being cracked, and that amount of ghosting already on a premium brand new game. I am not sure I communicated very well (reading my post, I think not).
I hope you get this resolved! I don't expect NIB (or heck my used) games to be perfect, but this went pretty far across the line into "you gotta be kidding me" territory IMO.

I agree... it's pretty bad. I'd be mighty upset if I were the OP simply because of the cash involved.

I'm pretty confident that Stern will make it right. Hopefully not wrong about that.

#168 7 years ago

That's a good question. I'm guessing the solution to make it right would be a blank PF...which would require a crap load of work on the owner side.

*edit* read below.

#203 7 years ago

Man. A lot of noise and poor assumptions in this thread.

#206 7 years ago
Quoted from PureTO:

Lots of noise yesterday in Toronto when Edwin hit 2 home runs against Baltimore yesterday.
Oh and on Friday when he hit the walk off HR in the 10th on Friday night. I was at that game.

Not nearly as much noise as the roar of approval from the entirety of MLB nation when Odor unleashed the hit of century.

#288 7 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

To quote one of my favorite actors in one of my favorite movies: sir, do you want to revise your bullshit story? (Tommy Lee jones, the fugitive)
Yes, I just got note of a 2 week old nib GB playfield. See for yourselves:
Well, I think there's little more to add...

Can you see it when the machine is on and lights are on?

#353 7 years ago

Vid, any interest in running for president?

#361 7 years ago

Normal and odd?

#419 7 years ago

I had to go and look at my shooter lanes. My WOZ looks like Birch... TWD looks like Maple... ACDC looks like Birch....IM pro looks like maple.

LOL.

Who the hell knows.

#426 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Probably the best thing one can do to lessen the chance of ghosting is to keep the pin in as stable an environment as you can. Keep away from windows, sunlight, garages, exterior walls, etc, and keep the temp at a constant. Basements are good to regulate temperature, but they are notoriously humid, so run a de-humidifier unless yours is abnormally dry. Best place in a home is probably near the center of the ground floor.

We are talking about pinball machines, here... correct?

This reminds me of thread a year or so ago where someone said they wear disposable rubber gloves while they play their pins.

I get the OP's frustration...big money is involved and that causes passions to run high... but you have to remember these games are coin-operated amusement equipment. They are meant to go in locations and earn money. That means being moved around, put in bars, slapped around, picked-up and moved, placed near windows, in hot rooms, cold rooms, near bathrooms, in high traffic areas, and places where kids will stick gum under the cab. They aren't manufactured to be cocooned in bubble wrap and placed in a vault with million dollar works of art.

Buying NIB is a total luxury...100%... it's not a requirement. I'm not suggesting that manufacturing flaws should be acceptable...but, at some point that sum of money that you've plopped down for one of these machines has to be an assumed loss. Life happens.

#439 7 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

It is in fact rocket science. The manufactuer I've worked with spent years tweaking/perfecting their process, and the secrets they developed didn't come easy or cheap.

bothans_(resized).jpgbothans_(resized).jpg

#471 7 years ago

Has anyone called and talked to Stern? They aren't that hard to get a hold of...

If so, what did they say?

#510 7 years ago

There are a number of errors here.
Long term, experienced, collectors notice...a lot.
Rarely, are they "tools", they provide the expertise to teach future generations the skills required to maintain this industry and hobby.
This is after many "enthusiasts" are long gone.
They also pay premium for collector quality games for a reason, not for somebody's game that has had the crap beat out of it.
Dealers don't want "played out" games either, because they cannot resell them.
Brokers and flippers don't care either way, but they will not buy premium and an owner sells at a loss.
Pinball devalues based on how well they have been taken care of in the long run.
Take care of your games, and they will not lose money in the long run, and you can enjoy them.
That much is true.
Failure to do do, and the game turns into junk, in short order, which can happen in months not years.

There are way more average buyers and and relaxed collectors in the world... Of course no one wants a junked game... But the collectors that want games because of the gameplay itself are way less concerned about this stuff than collectors that obsess over a chip in clear coat underneath the apron.

#525 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm cancelling my GB premium order and will buy one a year or two down the road after these issues are shaked out. As someone else mentioned it seems like Stern switched playfield manufactures and are having major issues. I would not buy a recently made game from them right now, wait until the issues are resolved.
Why did Stern change from their proven playfield manufacturer if thats the case? To save a few bucks per playfield and let it all ride on a new company? To think they had the nerve to raise prices too. BS.

Didn't you already cancel it (red DMD thread)?

#533 7 years ago

"Learn to maintain and repair your machines, if you want to stay in the hobby. If you don't, you won't."

Since when is this true? I know three collectors - long term and active collectors and players - that do not maintain or repair their own machines. Two rely on friends and another willingly pays for routine service.

#546 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

This is the response I got from Stern on the last NIB I purchased that had clear coat issues on the playfield.
Below is a quote from the email Stern sent me in response after I sent them pics of my playfield:
"Considering the size of the hard coat bumps, this shouldn’t cause any problems. We have had games on test at various locations that have bumps the same size or even larger and it hasn’t been a problem."
Translation... Thanks for sharing the pics, we have seen worse... goodbye"

Can you post the pictures you sent them, pls? I'm curious

#564 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No.
CCC is delighted that Stern is trying another company. "Stern will be begging for us to take them back when they see how terrible other playfield manufacturers are."

Vid - what game did the new manufacturer start with?

#628 7 years ago

A lot of people just have not been around to see circumstances on any of the points I just offered, but want to throw up their hands with shaking fists after they bought their first machine of any type, saying "I hate pinball, I am never going to buy another machine again!"
I won't join to the picket line, most of us "old timers" don't have the patience for that crap, or trying to overcome the naysayers, it is is just tiring..

There is a reason I buy predominantly BLY/WMS/GTB/AGC/ZAC games.
When Stern cuts corners, I don't buy the machine, and watch.
I buy used machines for a reason, I have played them, I know what can go wrong at that point, and teething issues have been fixed (or not).
Rarely now I buy NIB, such as the case as MET, but I waited 3 years.
It is called being a "smart shopper."

What's with the "us versus them" and "I'm so smart and you newbies exhaust 'us' and make stupid decisions" attitude? Nobody is here to be lectured. It's really off-putting and unnecessary. There are tons of collectors that jumped into this hobby in the last 2 to 15 years that are not only rock solid people but are also very well informed and super sharp.

Your definition of being a "smart shopper" has total tunnel vision. You like to put your money into older games that are in good shape. That's cool and if that's your thing, go for it.

But collecting is not some contest where the person with the best deals wins. What you need to understand is that there are collectors and players out there that do legitimately like modern games, modern rule sets, modern themes AND they are willing to pay to get them into their home to be played. Emphasis on played. Nothing wrong with that... And if they have the available coin to buy them, then so be it. Absolutely nothing wrong with paying modern costs for a NIB. If they want to show some frustrations, they're allowed to. They've earned that right.

#633 7 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Then why do you admonish someone simply stating an opinion that's different than your's. I think the skin is a little too thin in these parts. In my limited time involved in pinball, I've come to learn that pinsiders (myself included) are a different kind of bird. This forum is like a flock of doves when everyone sings the same tune, but as soon as conflicting opinions arise, it's like crows and sparrows.

I'm open to all opinions and think everyone should do whatever they want... buy old, buy new, buy Ems only, don't buy at all and play location only. I don't care. I was simply pointing out that the tone/attitude is off putting. The guy seems to have a lot of knowledge to share...which is what the community needs. Perhaps losing the sharp edge would help make it palatable.

#686 7 years ago

The edge is sharp, based on my background and low tolerance for certain aspects of how things are handled in this hobby/industry. I don't "go with flow", anymore.

That's a shame.

1) Nope, no interest in the interview
2) It's just a hobby, no reason for all the doom or gloom... or the my way or the highway approach.

#751 7 years ago

Funny video... people are always so creative with them. Too bad it gives a loser scumbag like Hitler face time...

#773 7 years ago
#850 7 years ago

I have some basic questions, for consideration of owners that they should ask themself in hindsight.
Why did owners buy Stern machines, and not buy a different manufacturer?
Why did owners buy NIB machines?
What were owners expectations of what a NIB game can and cannot do?
Did owners actually read warranties?
What experience do people have with games as an operator?
What experience do people have as an a technician in maintaining games on routes or in their own home?
What experience are people aware in the development lifespan of a pinball machine is "in the wild" and what ultimately it is designed for?
Many of these questions and more should be considered before deciding to enter into this hobby.
Knowledge helps dispel many myths and dysfunctions of understanding.
The current lifecycle of a pinball "collector" is roughly 2-3 years.
Yes, it is that short.

You are waaaay over thinking this. It's pinball, not the stock market.

People buy Stern because stern has been making absolutely stellar titles in recent years. Some people don't like Stern - that's their choice and they have the freedom to buy/play what they want. Plenty of these buyers can afford to buy NIB - whether it fits in your value system or wallet. Some Stern buyers like to buy NIB because they want to. They aren't just "Stern fanboys who do not know how to change a fuse, only buy games NIB, and have no concept of the industry." (As you stated on your pinside page). Believe it or not, there are buyers that want recently released games in their home. They like them, they like their modern rule sets, they like the themes. Amazingly, many of these buyers also buy older DMDs and classics... Which they love playing. Some of these buyers buy HEP because they value his work and don't mind paying for it.

Also, tons of collectors - new and old - know how to work on their own games and love working on their games.

Plenty of new collectors that have entered the game in the 5 years or so are astutely aware of modern pricing and trends. They understand the market and are still willing to be collectors in it. Many of these collectors love learning and their understanding of the market can be just as sharp as collectors of 10+ yrs.

You absolutely do not to be an operator, former operator, or technician to enter this hobby. If you weren't any of those, your value as a collector, player, or pinball enthusiasts isn't any less than someone that has been an op or tech. In fact, in some cases, ops are so dysfunctional and lacking in their desire and/or interest in keeping a game clean and playing, that games are literally junked and trashed at their locations. There are some ops that know far less about keeping a game operating than many typical collectors.

This notion that the average life span of a pinball collector is 2-3 years is completely unfounded. A statement like that needs some numbers behind it. Not just some stories from resellers that are applied to the greater collecting community at large.

#859 7 years ago

Vid, on the "This Flippin Podcast" I'm 99% sure TaylorVA said that the GBLE unboxed at SFGE didn't have insert ghosting out of the box, but within a day, did.

Does the ghosting start to happen once the ball has impact on the playfield? Or is it environmental factors (humidity? Air temp?)?

#937 7 years ago

Did you contact Stern?

#960 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There is usually a button on the camera. Just aim and snap. You better ask him though.

#1135 7 years ago

I had an opportunity to play some location pinball across NYC over the past several days... Lots of recent sterns (GB, GOT pro, GOT LE, TWD, Kiss Pro, MET pro)... Not a single bit of ghosting in any inserts... Only hiccup I noticed was some serious playfield wear around the sparky magnet on MET.

What was striking, is how freakin good these games play - minus Kiss (which just isn't my thing).

#1181 7 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

You do realize that people have posted that ghosting is not visible when the insert is lit?

It's an amazing thing: Sometimes during games AND during attract modes the inserts aren't lit.

Crazy, right??

#1262 7 years ago

You know the old adage... if you're worried about the cost of insurance on a Ferrari, then you shouldn't be buying a Ferrari.

I think the same thing applies to NIB pinballs.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with buying one... but be educated about what you're doing and only spend what you're willing to lose. I don't think it has anything to do with making a "smart move," but has everything to do with what your risk/tolerance is within your own (stress: own) budget.

#1295 7 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

I asked Stern about this issue as my distributor told me to make sure I would get some service if the ghosting happened to my GB LE before the purchase, but guess what ? No reply yet. I asked last friday through mail.

Through the mail?

Maybe someone should try smoke signals next!

Smoke_Signals_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1172443_(resized).jpgSmoke_Signals_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1172443_(resized).jpg

#1326 7 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

He he, I meant e-mail of course, which is also not the best way with Stern, I know. Was just curious how long it would take them to answer. Nothing yet.

I was just busting your chops )

#1346 7 years ago

Played a SMVE and GB pro on location. Both had very small slivers of ghosting on the inserts... Gotta say, what I saw was no big deal and once the ball started flying, the games were so fun... Didn't notice it at all.

2 weeks later
#1493 7 years ago

People keep trying to imply over and over again that pinball machines are comparative consumer products. They are NOT, until the industry recognizes them as such, and owners keep their wallets shut, which simply is your best course of action. Don't turn around and change your mind when the next title is released, start whacking off again with a hope and a prayer, "it will be different next time".
I feel empathy for the uninformed, but that is where it stops.
Where does this all come from?
Because there is little regulation from the standpoint of the fact this remains a luxury good for those that are not operators, there are very few active manufacturers which maintain a complete monopoly on the new game market, and general ignorance of the general coin operated industry. It no different than DeBeers and the diamond industry. You either accept what you get at the price THEY charge, or you balk and refuse to buy.
Please understand the industry standpoint (for the time being), read your warranties, inspect games closely if you decide to buy new games on delivery, and understand the nature of the privledge and concerns of NIB games. There is no such thing as a "perfect" game. There is no "lemon law" to protect you, new pinball owner. Nobody used to buy NIB games often, and it has nothing to do with reliability concerns. Stern does not give a flying !#@$ if you make idle comments in PinSide. It means absolutely nothing. Most owners have never even bought a NIB game. NIB owners are still a minority, and about to get a while lot smaller again based on price testing over the past 2 years, and overseas market economies.
Until the industry changes, pinball machines are commercial products, made under commercial construction standards (except home edition model games that all had terrible construction in the history of pinball games). This includes "LE models" of all game titles (or equivalency) as they do get routed.
Either Stern addresses the problem as manufacturers have addressed in other repeated areas for the past 50+ years, or the next secondary market stall is hastened.
The way it happens, is the "bottom line up front" I stated at the beginning. It is YOUR choice.

I'm sorry dude, but your hollier than thou condescending attitude really has no place in this thread. Nobody needs to be talked to that way...

"Start w______ off again?"

Seriously?

Just as an FYI, new collectors, new players, etc, are not complete idiots... Being new doesn't make them any less relevant or less interested or less smart. They may have entered the hobby in a different decade, they might have wallets more flush with cash, but that doesn't mean they're handicapped in their participation.

You might have some experience, but take a cue from other older collectors and approach people with some class. It will get you way further and actually might benefit the community in a positive way.

Gary Stern has openly talked about the fact his company caters to a large home market, that games have temendous value, and that they can be considered art. And, just as the decades have changed since you bought your first machine, so has the market for manufacturers. And, what's apparent in this thread, so have expectations. Let these folks voice their opinion so it can be heard - Stern does listen and they do read these threads. That is a fact.

#1497 7 years ago
Quoted from JonH123:

If this happened to one of my playfields and Stern was not helping, I would call them up and ask them to just sell me a replacement playfield at half price. Half price is probably at cost for them so they won't lose any money. If I turn around and sell my game that has ghosted inserts with a new spare playfield, it's probably worth at least what I paid. Just my opinion and what i'd do if put in this situation.

Who has called and talked to Chas? That's a good question... Has anyone tried to have a verbal dialog over this?

#1507 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

There are a lot of examples posted about how their customer service folks have gone above and beyond to help out various customers, when the process is handled in a calm and professional manner. Now I will admit, the only one with all of the details is the OP, so I am just going by what is being posted, but to start a thread which calls out the company, and to immediately start dragging them through the mud on a public forum, is not the way to get them to help you.

I largely agree with this...I would have handled it differently from the get go. I've read horror stories about Stern and JJP customer service... but every time I've interacted with either company it has been a very smooth and satisfying experience. It could be that my issues have been simple enough that they were easy for the companies to address...or...it could be that I approached them with a different attitude. Who knows. That's why I asked, earlier, if anyone had taken a few moments to have a phone conversation with Chas or someone at Stern? That takes the guessing out of why there has been silence....and, at the minimum, lays the groundwork for normal interaction.

That being said, it's also good that issues are discussed so buyers can make informed decisions. Agree or not...the information has been posted and others are adding to it. It has happened...seems like it has taken a life of its own. So, where to guide it now?

Good post, though, Manimal (LOL.... nice handle)

3 weeks later
#2763 7 years ago

Some MET owners PFs were swapped out, some were not.
It also happened with Pros for a time.
Depending on the chipping severity and ability to be diplomatic with their distributor and Stern, they received assistance.
Being a complete jackwagon resulted in them getting nothing.
Stern still made the final call.
The process was still a PITA for both owners and Stern when warranted.
This went for cosmetic problems on cabinets as well due to adhesion issues.
Some got new decals, some received NOTHING.
GOT PFs had issues too (and some still do), and a few got swaps, the rest received mylar decals.
In most GB cases here, I would expect the same.
Mylar decals over the ghosting, with some type of color variation to hide the damage.
One or two inserts is NOTHING, regardless of what an owner believes is acceptable based on what they paid for their game or not.
Just because an owner has cosmetic flaws on games does not automatically result in Stern giving the owner a new playfield.
This has already been stated dozens of times, but are still living in a fantasy world, feeling they are "owed" something.
Some just want a free handout, like what happened with MMr where owners were FAKING using photos from other people to get new PFs.
PPS did not take the bait, and neither will Stern.
If it is legit, they will help, but an owner has to properly help themselves first by being educated, not ranting.
Coin Ops Parts website gave a few good examples of the rejects, when they happen.

Who is your source at Stern? You're making a ton of claims here...

You're saying Stern will help an owner with "legit claims" ... Please specify exactly how Stern defines a "legit claim" and how that fits into this thread. I'm sure Stern customers would like that cleared up... In fact, I think Stern, itself, might be interested in that definition too.

#2764 7 years ago

History is cool and a fun part of the hobby, but in no way dictates modern Customer/manufacturer expectations and interactions.

At no time in the history of pinball has every single run of a game been marketed directly to consumers. Ever. It's that way now, though. Times have changed, so has the market. Don't believe it? Just look at Stern's entire marketing strategy.

#2774 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

name is something like Mr. Otto Mabutthole I think...

I think I've heard of him. Isn't his office down the hall and next to Mr. Sheetz?

#2783 7 years ago

Actually it does, and in more ways than I could possibly explain in a singular post.
However, It can be summarized in a quote:
"If you know the past, you can understand the present, and predict the future."
As it been said over countless repeated posts, by not just me:
Playfield production has essentially remained unchanged for well over 50+ years. Production standards have remain the same.
Materials roughly the same.
The industry does not "change overnight" and neither does the equipment that has been used to make playfields since the 1950s. It just does not happen.
If owners want to blame somebody for living in past, target Stern, not informed people like myself who try to assist by contacting distributors and educate people in the situation.
I am not person you are looking to bullseye for false expectations of the future regarding fixes of this latest iteration of the same insert problem that has occurred since the switch to the modern clear coat process in 1989.
That was 27 years ago, and most here were not buying pinball machines.
Playing perhaps? Yes.
Buying NIB? Rarely.
Ultimately, this comes from looking in a mirror, and reflecting on choices.
There also is no "magic play number" when chipping or problems start. More wives tale tomfoolery.
I do hope people get compensation, but don't expect it, including "free playfields".
Stern still has the power, not owners, as clearly demonstrated by many that don't care if inserts are perfect like operators or non collectors. Not every owner is a collector. Operators will still make money, break even, make profit, and still sell this game for than it is worth based on condition down the road IF spare game specific parts are even available, which is highly questionable based on what I have seen from Stern lately. They are not supporting games made in the early 2000s. That should worry collectors too, but I dont see 3000 post thread on that area yet.
We don't really know if this is some type of "tipping point" because plenty of other Stern games from 1999-2009 had !/@$as up playfields, but people in many cases here were simply not around to see them.
Guess what?
Production standards remained the same for games, and it had nothing to do with home owner purchases, even though sales were in significant rise from 2007 onwards. Operators/owners did bark, but not always "rewarded".
There is no "high horse" just education.

Actually, it doesn't. While some processes have remained unchanged, levels of expectations have been set - even through the words of the owner of the pinball company in question - in an entirely new market space that has been created and is current being farmed for significant amounts of cash.

Stern is a manufacturing company that is manufacturing directly to satisfy that market. They have change their approach to what they are manufacturing in order to meet new demands.

Much of their manufacturing process has changed - be it the tools used to design games... Choices involved in picking themes... Parts, such as bulbs and board sets... How games are coded (and the expectations of what code will deliver to the end user... Reveal processes and allowing collectors/players to influence game design and art...Pricing... Distributor requirements... And, yes, quality measurements.

You need to down shift and merge with the modern flow...and get over the fact that not every modern day collector wants to (or will) follow your rules or standards for participating in this hobby. You also need to step back and realize that the playing field is changing. History - when delivered respectfully - is awesome. Trying to apply all history to modern circumstances is a fumble.

#2911 7 years ago

The market has changed, but the industry has not yet. People disagree with me, but the reports of the contrary keep right on rolling.

The industry has changed... Show us a time when pre-production reveals were made to home buyers. Show us a time when manufacturers added or removed playfield features such as toys and art before production based on home customer feedback... Show us a time when the collector/player community were allowed to vote on music present in a game...Show us atime when manufacturers acknowledged code designed with the home user in mind. Show us a time when the industry extended pre-orders to home collectors.

Look at the different levels of games - and price points - being offered in a modern collector oriented market. Show us a time when 90% of games being manufactured have special limited edition models directly marketed to home consumers.

It's all changed in the last 10 years or so... The industry has openly acknowledged a deeply important relationship with home collectors... They've acknowledged that games are a valued collectible.... Gary Stern even uses the word "art".

The industry has changed...what you're witnessing now are more growing pains. Heck, you have a distributor in this thread saying this is a problem that shouldn't be happening. What more evidence do you need?

1 week later
#3593 7 years ago

One thing is for sure: Stern gets an "F-" for how they've handled this so far... No matter what their warranty is. The notion that they've reached out directly to some customers while completely stonewalling others (like the OP) of this thread is really quite shocking, especially considering the amount of cash paying customers have forked over for a product.

I guess I've been lucky with my own dealings with both Stern and JJP customer service... But this entire period of silence by Stern (and how they've exclusively communicated way more with some customers than others) is like a amateur hour at its finest. No way, no how will I purchase another NIB game from them until I watch their solution rollout - along with how distributors act - in its entirety... And read that new NIB owners are satisfy with post ghost-gate games.

Sterns choice to issue distributors a price floor for sales really rubbed me the wrong way... But this whole recent issue is head turning and quite surprising.

2 weeks later
#3964 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I'm getting a pro Wednesday and was told I would be convered by my distributor

What does "covered"'mean in this scenario?

Did your distro tell you exactly what would happen if you have issues?

#3968 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Okay, tell that to who told me. The largest stern distributor.

Why so secretive? Who said it? Much easier to understand what's going on if you reveal what the source is.

#3983 7 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

In post 3940 I quoted myself for those who only read the last 2-3 posts then try and join the conversation.
If people would read back more than few posts before posting themselves that would be great.

I'm curious... Did Gary give you an indication of what a "bad playfield" is? Stern says they'll handle on a case by case basis...this certainly keeps the door open for them to reject a claim.

As a customer that has bought 3 NIB stern machines (no, not currently in on a GB), I'd still be hesitant to buy now. What if you have one insert with Ghosting and Stern says "no" to a swap? That one insert may very well mean nothing when it comes to the longevity of the game... But we all know it dings collectibility value.

Not taking shots at you... Just wondering if you were able to get a sense of Sterns definition of what the problem is.

#4009 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I heard that as well. I heard they would build 10 playfields at a time and then contact owners to let them know when their new playfield was ready to go. Seems like a solid program but I still want to know what they consider a viable candidate for the program and that pros will get the same consideration.

It's a bit odd to have a program, but the parameters aren't clearly defined. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

#4153 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm finally going to send in my pics and formal complaints. I was waiting to see before reporting, but I don't want to miss some arbitrary window that Stern decides on later or something.
Here's what really irks me: Stern is going to review complaints and take them on a case-by-case basis. THEY will decide if they think your damage is significant enough to warrant replacement. Any ghosting should be fixed, even ONE insert, because it's a manufacturing flaw. Not only that, it's going to get worse, and the clear will crack. There's never been an insert that ghosted that I've ever seen that didn't eventually lead to more serious damage later. I have four ghosted inserts, and it all started with one. The ghosting is growing too. So since there are no cracks yet, am I screwed if Stern deems it to be too minor? What about when it continues to spread and cracking starts a few months from now? Do I get to re-apply for the program?
Either stand by your product or don't. Don't come up with some arbitrary line of what's replaceable and what's not. If there are any manufacturing flaws, FIX THEM!

Wow. I won't buy another Stern NIB until this all gets sorted and we understand the scope of their policy. Crazy that they'll fix some, not others... All arbitrary.

#4155 7 years ago
Quoted from Herm:

I canceled a Ghostbusters I had on pre order yesterday. To much of a gamble right now. Maybe next year ill look into one.

I think that's a smart move. Like you say: there will be future opportunities

#4178 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Rumor is the playfield issues are fixed. We will see with this next batch of games coming out.

One unnameable podcast said that an August 24 made LE has ghosting... Not sure if that's valid... But us what's reported

#4206 7 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Anyone have a TWD premium from this summer/recently? How's it holding up?

I bought one in May. It's 100% fine

1 month later
#4648 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

So - Speaking to the guys at Stern, right now, they aren't fully sure that they have fixed it so how you know is of great interest. Gary Stern mentioned the issue at the Stern slot at Expo and said it will be taken care of, starting with Ghostbusters before Xmas.

Did he also mention the cannon modes on AC/DC?

1 week later
#4830 7 years ago

There's a big problem with this mess...

How in the world will NIB buyers know which version of a playfield they are getting: Churchill or FUN?

Say you buy a GB Pro next March... what guarantee do you have that the game will ship with a Churchill installed? Based on the fact that Stern has continued manufacturing even though they knew (and we knew) there were problems... what guarantee does a buyer have that Stern isn't stock piling NIB games right now that won't be sold 4 or 5 months down the road?

This whole thing just sucks for those of us that like to buy NIB, simply because Stern hasn't been transparent over an issue that they easily could have used to gain trust and approval over.

2 weeks later
#4964 7 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Per Pat at Stern- playfield issues have been resolved. The GB they are running this week and next week have "the latest and greatest" playfield in them. They are the same PFs they are using as replacements for the LE customers that had problems. GB premium order placed by me today!!!

If this is true... and Stern is acknowledging that the previous runs had substandard play fields, then they need to notify all customers and offer a remedy. This cloak of secrecy is lame and most certainly shady.

#4979 7 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

Update on my playfield replacement: new playfield has been received and installed. My problem was a curved playfield, not insert issues, and the replacement playfield had a timestamp from back in May.

Amazing. So Stern has been pumping out problematic games and they send you that?

"Dear Mr. Johnson, sorry about your warped playfield. Please accept this perfectly sh*ty playfield manufactured during a time that known playfield problems emerged. P.S. - Enjoy the ghosting. -Stern's Epic Marketing Dept."

4 weeks later
#5028 7 years ago

So, I'm curious... how many folks have gotten replacement playfields that have started ghosting?

#5037 7 years ago

#5056 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

HOW ABOUT ALL THOSE CRICKETS NOW?
Stern doesn't need an army of white knights. Stern doesn't deserve one.

Seriously.

+1

#5065 7 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Not to throw wood on the fire but maybe if the QC guy actually was using his light table he would find more issues. Couldn't believe when they walked up to him inspecting a PF and then Jody asked him to turn it on he had to go and plug it in. I would have been so embarrassed if I was Jody but he played it off well. Bet he wasn't super thrilled when that happened on camera.
11:50 on this - » YouTube video

Gotta love later in that video when he points out the soldering hood so that the workers "don't die fast."

#5075 7 years ago

Just read some of the details about the kind of issues people are finding out of the box, and it's painfully obvious that those QC guys aren't giving every game off the line the same treatment. Either that or Stern is telling them that things such as mismatched rails (for example) are ok to pass along.

Just listening to Broken Tokens last couple of episodes (or reading Jeff's details) and it is painfully obvious that video is really misleading

3 weeks later
#5197 7 years ago

One thing is for sure... this "issue" hasn't been appropriately addressed by Stern. Gomez admitted an issue in the Pinball Magazine special... but the company is avoiding. They have two new games coming and have said absolutely zero about what consumers should expect in terms of service and warranty when it comes to playfield issues that GB owners have experienced.

Buyer beware... and anyone buying going forward should know what they're getting themselves into.

#5210 7 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I'm sad for stern. Best hit they have had in a while, and it's plagued with this.

What's even more sad is their overall lack of engagement with their new bread and butter

#5229 7 years ago
Quoted from SteveMan:

My premium has the same playfield date but I haven't played it yet. I just took off the glass to check the playfield and plugged it in for the first time. No ghosting yet that I can see. I was inclined to let the playfield cure for another month, doubt if it makes any difference for ghosting but maybe would reduce dimpling?

Dimpling is going to happen regardless... it's not a big deal anyway

#5294 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Stern should send him a check for $500 then
In my situation, I am looking at a $1500+ loss based on my playfield condition. But, its not the idea of losing money here. It's the principal. I could take the loss and move on.. then Stern wins, and I have done nothing for the rest of the pinball community in the same position as me. I want to see Stern make this right for not just me, but anyone else affected by this and (thus far) lied to about getting a PF replacement in a timely matter.

I don't think you need to explain yourself further... you're 100% on the mark

#5310 7 years ago

The point isn't if... the point is crappy communication.

When you have customers paying $5k and up for a toy, you should have great lines of communication with your customers. Period.

Stern gets an F for communication. They wouldn't discuss it... then there some personal phone calls... then there was the "talk to your distributor" line... then there was some open discussion in the press... then they allowed videos in their factory where they trumpeted how amazing their QC is... then there was silence.

All they needed to do was release an official statement on their site with specific instructions. And once customers submitted claims, Stern needed to provide feedback.

It's so simple

#5313 7 years ago

Here's a great example of how it should have run.

Onkyo struggled for a year or two with HDMI failure. So, what did they do? They did this:

"As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip.
We deeply regret any frustration or inconvenience this situation may have caused.
To address the problem and help people who may have an impacted receiver, Onkyo is launching a special Customer Care Program to remedy this issue for those receivers that may be affected by this loss of audio/network connection issue. This program has three steps:
1. Verify if your Onkyo receiver is impacted
2. Decide how you prefer to address the issue
3. Send us your receiver in a prepaid box and label that we will provide at no cost to you
As part of this program we are also extending our standard limited warranty period to cover this issue for affected receivers through December 31, 2018. All other terms, conditions and limitations of the original limited warranty shall continue to apply for the duration of the original standard limited warranty.
Importantly, please note that the loss of audio/network connection issue will not result in harm to any connected components or speakers since the issue is contained to a single element within the affected receivers.
To determine if your receiver is eligible under this Customer Care Program please click here
Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program for US and Canada customers
We thank you for your loyalty!
Onkyo again apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause and will provide this repair as expeditiously as possible.
Click here to check the status of your repair."

Guess what... it takes a matter of a few weeks to get the issue resolve.

2 months later
#5903 7 years ago

It's absolutely insane that we are in March 2017, and there are still buyers in the dark wondering what the process is from start to finish.

NIB buyer beware, is all I can say.

4 months later
#6113 6 years ago

More images of SW ghosting showing up on the net...

Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 10.07.30 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-07-23 at 10.07.30 PM (resized).png

#6132 6 years ago

Stern Tour photo: Quality Control Department

sleepys-65 (resized).jpgsleepys-65 (resized).jpg

#6137 6 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

LOL. So if I said "your car is complete" but updates will be on the way to get the windows to roll down, enable ABS brakes, and allow radio presets, you'd just go along with your car being released as "complete"? The software was not complete. Fixing bugs implies the code is complete. Adding animations that should already be there means it is not complete. It's really simple. What's your motivation here to ignore the facts? I don't get it. So strange. Are you PR for JJP?
There are a ton of bugs - maybe you don't play enough? Maybe you aren't a good player? I have no idea. I've reported every bug encountered to JJP. Hopefully they fix them. I'm not listing them all here but I'll give you one:
When a ball is hit slowly up the left ramp and it stalls at the diverter girl, the game should know that the second switch right after the diverter girl was never hit. So it should immediately raise the diverter to allow the ball to pass. Instead, it just sits there and you have to wait 15 sec for a ball search, which can result in your mode ending w/o a chance to play it.

Nope...literally nothing I said implied that or indicated that in any way. I think Stern releasing games with alpha/beta software and rules is well known. WMS games were released finished because they had to be. Burning and swapping ROMs isn't something people wanted to do back then. Now with USB updates, modern mfgs figure they can just release buggy stuff and they'll fix it after they already got our money. But my comment had nothing to do with anyone but JJP.

Where are you playing the game in RI?

#6147 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Not too hard when you release 1 game every 2 years wouldn't you agree? Lets see what happens if they ever get to the point where they release 4-5 games a year and have to code update all of them.

You could say the same thing about uniqueness of playfield layouts...Stern is dipping into the same pool a lot. Not all games...but a lot... are starting to have a cookie-cutter feel. Pretty easy to see why: speed to market.

#6150 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Exactly. JJP just started his company 4 years ago. Stern has been out how long? Plus it's very easy to produce 3-4 zizzles a year vs what JJP is producing.

You get no argument from me

#6181 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

He's right though. You go from one of the best custom callout packages we've ever seen in pinball down to something that is just ok. Yeah, you get to drop the movie clips that look terrible on the DMD, but the "animations" on the VE are really lazy and many are just a still image sliding across the screen.
The biggest issue though is that the VE doesn't play as smoothly. Originals play much nicer, especially in the ramps. Never mind that the VE is horribly overpriced.

Something tells me we're going to see the same thing with ACDC VE (physically speaking)...

Stern has decided that art and lighting trump game feel and smoothness. Not always the case (Star Trek is a good example of a dialed-in pin)... but more often the case than not.

#6188 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Aside from some wonkiness with the lock shot on Aerosmith, I find that to be a very smooth pin.

I've played a pro and premium... the Pro had the ball going airborne non-stop, landing on top of plastics, ricocheting up ramps... it just felt half-assed design-wise... but, also, cheap. No other way to say it... the recent Stern pins have a hollow feel.

#6206 6 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I was told that a Star Wars on location near me has multiple ghosting inserts after about 24hrs/50 plays. I can't believe this still hasn't been resolved.

It's because Stern doesn't give a Sh*t. If they did, they wouldn't have shipped some dude in Germany a Ghostbusters with (1) ghosting and (2) a playfield with the misspelling on it. Think that happened by accident? NO.

George Gomez publicly said that Stern realizes that the market has shifted from operators to collectors. He talked about how Stern has changed its materials and processes to make products that meet the standards of nit-picky collectors. He admitted that Stern's core buyers are no longer Ops that could care less if a game has a big scratch on the inside black wall... or a misaligned cab decal.

So, what have they done? Well, for starters, the QC out of the factory is clearly not up to snuff. For $5,000 to (what) $15,000 machines to leave with major issues (wrong rails, wrong apron stickers, damaged playfields, mechanically sloppy production, etc) isn't an accident of mass production. It's just poor non-consumer friendly policy. Then there's the cheapening of parts... and just plain laziness on design factors that should have been checked, double-checked, and corrected before mass production.

That's the bad.

The good (for Stern) and what shows they know their customer base has changed, is the fact that they are cranking prices as high as possible. They know their market alright... their own words and price tags prove it. Unfortunately, their games aren't satisfying this notion that they have changed their materials and processes to meet the tough demands of collectors.

8646097401_0f316617ed_b (resized).jpg8646097401_0f316617ed_b (resized).jpg

#6209 6 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

Couldn’t have said it better.
You missed the power supply, set at the wrong voltage.
Greetings
Max

edit:

Sorry about your game experience. Totally unacceptable on any level...and absolutely crazy that they shoved that crap playfield into your game.

People are spending serious coin on these games and Stern knows exactly what's going on. Really troubling.

#6221 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

After the GB QC issues, B66 exploitation cash grab & code debacle, cabinet splitting issues, and unresolved code issues on older games, the "community" needs to STOP BUYING THESE GAMES!!!!! Stern has shown us their cards over and over. Stop buying. Stop. Just stop. Thousands of great pinball titles exist. You don't need the new ones to be "in the hobby" or a "collector".

Greg - I agree with sentiment 1000% percent.

#6257 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Don't have much time on TWD, may need to revisit it. It seems like code revisions have elevated it.
I was initially underwhelmed by the feel of the playfield, ie. clunky orbit and well walker bash toy, prison doors bash toy that open to reveal a bash toy and ramp that lifts to reveal a ... bash toy.

I owned the game for a year. Code was exemplary... but, the playfield is just as you describe. It just didn't ever line up quite right...
it left the factory without physical polish. And the bash toys create this constant rush of a hit followed up by a dribble back down toward the flippers.

Happy to have owned it. Happy to have sold it.

#6263 6 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Playing TWD with the Voice over MOD is like playing a completely different game. A must have if playing TWD, I didn't care for it all that much until I loaded the voice files.

I'm curious about this... when I owned the game I tried it and found Stern's to be better because it directs and leads you through the game. Probably just me, but having characters from the show blurt out various phrases just felt random. It's customized but not customized... a game like ST shows how great real customized voice work can be. These TWD code mods show a lot of user creativity, but the show call outs really miss the mark of feeling in-game appropriate.

#6330 6 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

It's too bad they didn't also put in a disclaimer that it's normal to have node boards fail. That's a missed opportunity.

Peeling decals.... cracked cabinets... might as well add it all

#6345 6 years ago

I just finished reading Stern's "What's Not Covered" Manual that ships with 2017 games...

Thickest_57b60b_2056968 (resized).jpgThickest_57b60b_2056968 (resized).jpg

Oddly, if the Inspection sticker is peeling, they'll send you a new one!

#6374 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

So have you dropped out of your LE Ice? Your a well known presence here so if you have dropped out that's quite telling of Sterns decisions to shoot themselves in the foot again - Gary must be running out of toes!

No one person is a barometer of a company's decisions or lack there of... come on now.

Everyone's decision should be independent of another's - especially when considering comments made by a person sitting at a computer. Everything on Pinside needs a grain (read: pound) of salt.

#6389 6 years ago

Frankly, IMO, ghosting is the least of the problems. Just the overall cheapening of machine quality is the biggest issue... everything from the backbox construction to the decals... parts in the game... innovations in design and attention to detail in the execution of design.

Slap high price tags on it... add to the fact that the games really aren't collectible... AND that I can play them on location... and of course Stern's PF issues and their covert-like response.

Really just eliminates any desire for me to to open my wallet and pay for one. Last Stern I bought was TWD and, at the moment, they are off my radar.

#6392 6 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I'm considering buying a used GB premium with a manufacture date of October last year. Does anyone know if this ghosting/playfield issue was rectified by that date or is it just hot and miss, luck of the draw? The seller says his doesn't have any but also said that it has under 200 plays so would it even be showing by this point?
I am a relative newbie to the hobby and reading all of this stuff about Sterns quality control and playfield issues make me think I should avoid their products altogether, particularly if they aren't acknowledging the issues and making things right.

Find a collector that knows what they're looking at and take them with you to inspect the game.

#6414 6 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Some of guys who say it's no big deal in this thread are some the most well off active users on pinside. Easy for them to say. We can't all be rock stars.
NIB can be a once in a lifetime experience for people like me who make under 50K. Have some perspective.

And Stern knows this!! They know their customer base has changed. If they are going to crank prices, they'd better crank quality to the Nth degree. Period.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 21.50
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious?tu=27dnast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.