Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg
There are 6,561 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 132.
#401 7 years ago
Quoted from JEFFPINS12:

Stern couldn't even spell check their inserts for Ghostbuster's , properly test a bad design Slimer mechanism , see that the captive ball wire bends after a few plays , the Scoleri target springs were incorrect because they cause massive bricks and airballs , the inlane wire guides are too short and the ball hops over them ,

Are these comments based on your experience with your GB?

#402 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Are these comments based on your experience with your GB?

His comments are based on rabid fanboyism and lack of actual experience.

#403 7 years ago
Quoted from JEFFPINS12:

Stern couldn't even spell check their inserts for Ghostbuster's , properly test a bad design Slimer mechanism , see that the captive ball wire bends after a few plays , the Scoleri target springs were incorrect because they cause massive bricks and airballs , the inlane wire guides are too short and the ball hops over them , etc and you guys expect them to care about ghosting ? Stern is about making the most profits which means the lowest cost material , lowest cost labor , lowest cost everything and then charging the most amount possible . Stern will never address this topic because people will keep buying what ever turds roll out of the factory , I swear , it's all about big name themes . JT is a terrible designer and could make a flipper gap wide open and have 5 second ball times and be a frustrating mess like GB and because it's Ghostbuster's theme people will suck it right up , then complain about ghosting inserts and still buy it and they will laugh all the way to the bank

We get it. Go play some pinball and relax.

#404 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Pinball kinda took off in the last 5 years, so I have clearcoated many NIB playfields and have see all the issues that people are suddenly discovering today.
It's nothing new.
What **is** new is for the first time in 80 years of pinball, we have super bright factory LED GI.
When you see a factory LED StarTrek next to a WOZ or a Funhouse, the StarTrek makes the other games around it look they they are turned off.
Every little defect is for the first time in the history of pinball fully illuminated.
-
What else **is** new is that the new clearcoats are crystal clear.
The cloudy days of crummy Diamondplate are thankfully long gone.
Every bit of insert crazing is now fully visible.

Yes I totally agree with you there. . I can relate it to the line of work I'm in with newly built houses..."LED" lighting shows up every thing

#405 7 years ago

That clear chipping in the shooter lane and the out hole along with the magnitude of the ghosting is not how it has always been. This is not the norm

#406 7 years ago

@vid 1900 - I love your comments and your knowledge is awesome. I also agree with not everything was "perfect" in the past.

Nevertheless Stern should listen to their customers. The market (from my point of view) has changed. Pinball machines are not only something to play with, they are collectibles. Especially if you have to invest 5-9k. We can stand some "loss", because we are having fun with the machines. But if quality issues reduce the value of a machine dramatically, the motivation of buying another NIB will also reduce dramatically... easy to understand.

Ghosting can and will happen, but it really seems like it is getting worse... so it is time for Stern to take a closer look at this.

#408 7 years ago

After inspecting ALL my games shooter lanes ( where all purchased NIB or HUO off local collectors ).........all games except ONE have the birch playfield.
Low and behold guess which one has a tiny chip at the shooter lane

#409 7 years ago

Nobody can blame Stern for attempting to reduce BOM costs (they would be stupid not to) but they cannot let this affect quality in such a fundamental part of the machines and one thing they cannot afford to do is ignore customers concerns over these quality issues.

#410 7 years ago

I don't think it is accurate to claim that pinball machines are solely intended for the coin-op market anymore. In fact a coin mechanism is now an optional extra here in the UK.

#411 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My METLE came with this style. But also had a perfect clearcoat with no ghosting inserts after several months.

Same with my Transformers Pro, no ghosting or problems.

#412 7 years ago

To keep you updated: Email by me and my distributor has been send. I asked for a populated tripple quality checked playfield and new cabinet decals. Or a complete replacement.

I encourage anyone that has a similar issue to write an email with photos to their distributors and Stern asap. I still can't believe it's 3 machines in a row now...

#413 7 years ago

Your luck is that you are in europe.

EU = warranty

USA = no warranty i dont understand how this is possible.

and dont post it at their Facebook page, they will bann you !!

#414 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I would not do that.
Even if the entire insert ghosts, the clearcoat is so clear that it will not interfere with you playing and enjoying the game at all.
But if you make relief cuts, the whole thing could chip off......

I wasn't thinking about cutting them...but rather something done in the clearcoat process itself, more like a cookie-cutter approach with the soft clear applied. I thought about it the same as what is done with concrete....the relief channels give it a natural path to crack when expansion and contraction takes place.

#415 7 years ago

I would be scared to death to have a GB LE or premium on order right now.

#416 7 years ago

Probably the best thing one can do to lessen the chance of ghosting is to keep the pin in as stable an environment as you can. Keep away from windows, sunlight, garages, exterior walls, etc, and keep the temp at a constant. Basements are good to regulate temperature, but they are notoriously humid, so run a de-humidifier unless yours is abnormally dry. Best place in a home is probably near the center of the ground floor. I have several antique games with doors that will stick if the humidity gets too high, and in turn will show gaps if the humidity is low. I run a dehumidifier in the summer, and a humidifier in the winter to keep everything at an even humidity level.

Vid can chime in here, but I am guessing one reason we see this so much more these days is because home machines are constantly turned off and on. (Hot/Cold Cycles) Pins on location are turned on constantly, and therefore they are at a more constant temp. Even LED's do put off some heat.

#417 7 years ago

Temperature and humidity are extremely stable her. It's also no cellar but a former barber shop on ground level.

I just got a call from Mr NIB LE here in Austria. His SMVE just started to ghost as well... So that's #3 of 3.

#418 7 years ago

Ok can anyone from North America chime in on this. Is anyone in the states or Canada living the same experience?

#419 7 years ago

I had to go and look at my shooter lanes. My WOZ looks like Birch... TWD looks like Maple... ACDC looks like Birch....IM pro looks like maple.

LOL.

Who the hell knows.

#420 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I had to go and look at my shooter lanes. My WOZ looks like Birch... TWD looks like Maple... ACDC looks like Birch....IM pro looks like maple.
LOL.
Who the hell knows.

It all just looks like wood to me.

#421 7 years ago
Quoted from JEFFPINS12:

Stern couldn't even spell check their inserts for Ghostbuster's , properly test a bad design Slimer mechanism , see that the captive ball wire bends after a few plays , the Scoleri target springs were incorrect because they cause massive bricks and airballs , the inlane wire guides are too short and the ball hops over them , etc and you guys expect them to care about ghosting ? Stern is about making the most profits which means the lowest cost material , lowest cost labor , lowest cost everything and then charging the most amount possible . Stern will never address this topic because people will keep buying what ever turds roll out of the factory , I swear , it's all about big name themes . JT is a terrible designer and could make a flipper gap wide open and have 5 second ball times and be a frustrating mess like GB and because it's Ghostbuster's theme people will suck it right up , then complain about ghosting inserts and still buy it and they will laugh all the way to the bank

#422 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Probably the best thing one can do to lessen the chance of ghosting is to keep the pin in as stable an environment as you can. Keep away from windows, sunlight, garages, exterior walls, etc, and keep the temp at a constant. Basements are good to regulate temperature, but they are notoriously humid, so run a de-humidifier unless yours is abnormally dry. Best place in a home is probably near the center of the ground floor. I have several antique games with doors that will stick if the humidity gets too high, and in turn will show gaps if the humidity is low. I run a dehumidifier in the summer, and a humidifier in the winter to keep everything at an even humidity level.
Vid can chime in here, but I am guessing one reason we see this so much more these days is because home machines are constantly turned off and on. (Hot/Cold Cycles) Pins on location are turned on constantly, and therefore they are at a more constant temp. Even LED's do put off some heat.

This is a pinball machine. You make it sound like we're trying to keep a fish alive. It should not happen period.

#423 7 years ago
Quoted from john041160:

I would be scared to death to have a GB LE or premium on order right now.

$10K by Christmas???

#424 7 years ago

A ghostbusters ghosting.....every ghost chasers dream LOL

#425 7 years ago
Quoted from LadySlingshot:

It should not happen period.

For purposes of education, all playfield inserts exhibit ghosting at some point in their lives if a modern stylized clear coat was used, particularly in the last 25+ years.
Even if only minor.
Older playfield "Tuffcoats" and other sealers are a little different, but this is a fact of life regarding pinballs using a combination of clearcoats, wood, plastic inserts and other factors for play surfacing.
Problems can be reduced by keeping games in controlled environments.
This has been mentioned by others, including Vid1900 and others in the past, so there is value in the statements.
Understanding the nature of how the clear coat process can be effected by your surroundings will help protect your games, but is not a guarantee that there is not a manufacturing defect.

#426 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Probably the best thing one can do to lessen the chance of ghosting is to keep the pin in as stable an environment as you can. Keep away from windows, sunlight, garages, exterior walls, etc, and keep the temp at a constant. Basements are good to regulate temperature, but they are notoriously humid, so run a de-humidifier unless yours is abnormally dry. Best place in a home is probably near the center of the ground floor.

We are talking about pinball machines, here... correct?

This reminds me of thread a year or so ago where someone said they wear disposable rubber gloves while they play their pins.

I get the OP's frustration...big money is involved and that causes passions to run high... but you have to remember these games are coin-operated amusement equipment. They are meant to go in locations and earn money. That means being moved around, put in bars, slapped around, picked-up and moved, placed near windows, in hot rooms, cold rooms, near bathrooms, in high traffic areas, and places where kids will stick gum under the cab. They aren't manufactured to be cocooned in bubble wrap and placed in a vault with million dollar works of art.

Buying NIB is a total luxury...100%... it's not a requirement. I'm not suggesting that manufacturing flaws should be acceptable...but, at some point that sum of money that you've plopped down for one of these machines has to be an assumed loss. Life happens.

#427 7 years ago
Quoted from LadySlingshot:

This is a pinball machine. You make it sound like we're trying to keep a fish alive. It should not happen period.

Ha.....If it were a fish tales. then I would agree...lol

I'm not saying it should happen, I am just saying a temp and humidity stable environment is the best chance to keep it from happening or at least from getting worse, and why not do what you can to protect yourself? I am no expert on playfields, but I have to imagine it is hard to get the clear to properly adhere to plastic inserts. It may not be the clear they are using....maybe the makeup of the inserts changed and caused the issue....truth is none of us know for sure. We all know how hard it can be to glue anything plastic and have it stay for any length of time, so this has got to be an ongoing challenge, especially when they are not doing the playfields themselves. If it is not separating when it goes down the line, how is QA supposed to know it is going to happen and reject it? If we told them to keep the playfields for another 2 months and let them cure, then everyone would be screaming because they are behind. I am NOT saying it is right or acceptable, and I am not saying it isn't either......I am merely saying it can't be easy, and tact and conversation work better than torches and pitchforks....or even porches and titchforks.

#428 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

We are talking about pinball machines, here... correct?
This reminds me of thread a year or so ago where someone said they wear disposable rubber gloves while they play their pins.
I get the OP's frustration...big money is involved and that causes passions to run high... but you have to remember these games are coin-operated amusement equipment. They are meant to go in locations and earn money. That means being moved around, put in bars, slapped around, picked-up and moved, placed near windows, in hot rooms, cold rooms, near bathrooms, in high traffic areas, and places where kids will stick gum under the cab. They aren't manufactured to be cocooned in bubble wrap and placed in a vault with million dollar works of art.
Buying NIB is a total luxury...100%... it's not a requirement. I'm not suggesting that manufacturing flaws should be acceptable...but, at some point that sum of money that you've plopped down for one of these machines has to be an assumed loss. Life happens.

Wasn't suggesting the rubber glove treatment...merely saying if you want to lessen the chances or amount of damage, a controlled environment is best. I had a friend who had one of those inflatable bubbles he would park his Harley in that circulated air around the bike and controlled the humidity. Maybe one of those would work for my pins.......lol

#429 7 years ago

Has anyone emailed a link to this thread to Patrick or Chas at Stern?

#430 7 years ago

Why didn't StarTrek, WWE, Mustang or even Kiss have any issues? I know many of these, even those in bars with zero ghosting.

The first time I saw ghosting on a new Stern was GOT.

What has changed?!

#431 7 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

What has changed?!

That is the big question. Something did.

#432 7 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

What has changed?!

Nothing really: ongoing price increases with ongoing cost cutting. Buyers still shelling out for the privilege. Torches and pitchforks, until Star Wars Super LE is announced. It will ship with alpha code, the decals will come uninstalled so its your fault they look crappy, and the PF will be insert free "because of internet bitching", but buyers will still eat it up .

#433 7 years ago

I thought they moved the clearcoating to "in house", at that time as a change.

#434 7 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

Why didn't StarTrek, WWE, Mustang or even Kiss have any issues? I know many of these, even those in bars with zero ghosting.
The first time I saw ghosting on a new Stern was GOT.
What has changed?!

I think the quality has changed

#435 7 years ago

That question is the only question. And Stern has to answer it (internally if they want to). And consider switching back to the old way. Or a newer, better way. Then announce it.

This is clearly not working. It hurts Stern's reputation. I see friends and fellow other local pinheads emailing and calling me, and canceling their orders.

#436 7 years ago
Quoted from JEFFPINS12:

I think the quality has changed

I literally lol'ed! Hehehe... Man, it's so sad I didn't find that out myself! Made my day! )

#437 7 years ago

Until the quality issue at Stern improve and seem to settle down a little the only NIB sterns I'll be buying are older titles without all these playfield and decal issues. I don't expect a pin to stay completely perfect but for £6950 ($9800) for a premium when I open the box I expect it to be near perfect.

Shouldn't be opening a NIB pin to find peeling decals or decals hanging off and serious playfield issues like cracks and chips before a single ball has rolled down it.

#438 7 years ago

Just to dispell a myth being put forth over and over. While having a controlled environment for a pinball machine is a good thing, don't think for a moment that that will prevent the kind of insert delmaination occurring on Stern fields. That is 100% a manufacturing process problem stemming from improper methods/materials used to construct the field. There is probably little to nothing that a person with such a field in their machine can do to prevent the problem short of swapping in an entirely new field that doesn't have the issue. The mechanical/chemical bond between the insert and the underside of the clear WILL fail over time with normal use on such fields, plain, simple and tragic.

Almost every pf manufaturer has faced it at some point, ESPECIALLY new ones. It is in fact rocket science. The manufactuer I've worked with spent years tweaking/perfecting their process, and the secrets they developed didn't come easy or cheap.

I had heard rumors that Stern was making changes to who built their fields. Clearly they have an issue with the new production process/vendor.

-Jim

#439 7 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

It is in fact rocket science. The manufactuer I've worked with spent years tweaking/perfecting their process, and the secrets they developed didn't come easy or cheap.

bothans_(resized).jpgbothans_(resized).jpg

#440 7 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

Just to dispell a myth being put forth over and over. While having a controlled environment for a pinball machine is a good thing, don't think for a moment that that will prevent the kind of insert delmaination occurring on Stern fields. That is 100% a manufacturing process problem stemming from improper methods/materials used to construct the field. There is probably little to nothing that a person with such a field in their machine can do to prevent the problem short of swapping in an entirely new field that doesn't have the issue. The mechanical/chemical bond between the insert and the underside of the clear WILL fail over time with normal use on such fields, plain, simple and tragic.
Almost every pf manufaturer has faced it at some point, ESPECIALLY new ones. It is in fact rocket science. The manufactuer I've worked with spent years tweaking/perfecting their process, and the secrets they developed didn't come easy or cheap.
I had heard rumors that Stern was making changes to who built their fields. Clearly they have an issue with the new production process/vendor.
-Jim

I don't think anyone said controlled environments will prevent this from happening. It just stands to reason there will be less change over time in a controlled environment. Yes, there is a problem if they are ghosting this quick, and stern needs to figure it out. But sitting a pin in a damp basement, or a hot/cold garage will not make the problem any better.......

#441 7 years ago

Hey guys I've been following this thread because I find it interesting and also because I have a MET pro led on order and am genuinely concerned. Anyway This whole wood expanding/contracting thing reminds me of when I used to do carpentry and assist with hardwood floor installations. Whenever we would get a shipment of wood we had to first bring it into the house where this wood was going to be installed, take the plastic shrink wrap off, place furring strips in between each piece of wood, and let it air out also known as acclimate to the new environment for 5-7 DAYS!! The wood would expand/contract as humidity levels would change so if you installed the floor right away the gaps in the joints would look horrible as it acclimated after it was installed. I remember once my irritable boss had us install a floor right away with no acclimation time because he wanted to cut corners and GUESS WHAT.... the floor shrunk and the joints that were tight at installation were now varying between 1/4"-1/2"!!! Looked like crap. Anyway....could Sterns playfield supplier trying to keep up with demand be cutting corners in the wood department?? Not letting it acclimate? Could the playfield be acclimating still once its at your house now? Just some thoughts because this all seems like new problems. Or maybe the bottom of these playfields need a coat of sealant as well? Im truly confused like everyone else as to why this is a problem now.

Heres a pretty good link to the process and why wood needs to acclimate to its new environment for anyone whos interested.
http://www.oldewoodltd.com/what-to-know/resource-library/hardwood-floor-acclimation

#442 7 years ago

I don't think the wood was aged enough or dry enough. My best guess...

I personally have my BoP playfield acclimated for nearly a year now before swapping it in. But I'm just lazy

At the end of the day they should discuss internally what to do about it. Keep emailing them your issues. Better yet, tell it your distributors and ask them to notify Stern of the issues.

#443 7 years ago

Why cant playfields be made out of that material they make decks out of. Is it a vinyl-type material? Then clearcoat it. Would that work?

#444 7 years ago

index_(resized).jpgindex_(resized).jpg

#445 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Why cant playfields be made out of that material they make decks out of. Is it a vinyl-type material? Then clearcoat it. Would that work?

It was played with in the past. I'm not sure if the artwork was painted underneath. Orbiter 1 has a clear PF with a moonscape below. I remember way back people discussing hole stripping, polishing cloudiness, dust attraction . . . I'll have to go way back and read again.

#446 7 years ago

The spanish guys did that. juegos populares if I remember correctly. Playfield was covered with 5mm or 1/4 inch thick acrylic. You'd restore them with a bottle of Novus

#447 7 years ago

Playfields have been made out of plastic in the past.

Some of the reasons the concept failed was maintenance, traditional acceptance, scratches, and warping due to get damage, and cost.

Sound familiar?
It should.
It was an experiment.

What a lot of people do not realize is this whole clear coat debate has happened before in the late 1980s into the 1990s.
Look up the understanding between SP vs TAG vs LS vs LS Topcoat and the creation of the "Diamond Plate" logo.
"The wheels of the bus go round and round".
Look it up, and educate, but if you don't want to both here you go:

http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/PF_Production.html

Yes, this is the same thing in terms of trying to figure out the best application of coatings, what provided the best color and adhesion, and durability.
Someone is "experimenting again", and I am only going to guess that it was Churchill Cabinets under pretense by Stern.
This is more cost cutting.
The market stall is coming slowly, I can sense it.
Smart distributors and dealers know it as well.

#448 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Orbiter 1 has a clear PF with a moonscape below.

I mean just use that material in place of the wood. Clearcoat it the same as the real wood one. Well, I guess if something better was out there, they'd use it...

#449 7 years ago

Didn't Riverboat Gambler have a composite playfield?

#450 7 years ago

Also the composite materials don't take screws well and you'd need to use t-nuts everywhere.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.95
5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,561 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.