Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg
There are 6,561 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 132.
#3651 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

And not one emoticon!
I cant figure out if you are happy or mad

I'm neither. I'm trying to be logical like Spock. I don't get emotional about other people's money.

#3652 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Please help. Do you see airballs from your ghost target, or should I ignore the plastic above it?

I wouldn't worry about the ghost target if its too much trouble Art. I see very few if any but maybe other folks are.

#3653 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Stern was good to acknowledge the problem and announce a program through its distributors to resolve.

Where , show me where stern has said they have program and where they have acknowledged they have a problem.
Spent an hour on the phone with my distributor yesterday , Stern hasn't told them anything about a program
One guy gets called by Gary and told he will get a new playfield after sending his back , and all of a sudden there is a program ? Wrong, until stern makes a blanket statement to us or their distributors specifically regarding these pf there is no program.

#3654 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I wouldn't worry about the ghost target if its too much trouble Art. I see very few if any but maybe other folks are.

Agreed

#3655 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Where , show me where stern has said they have program and where they have acknowledged they have a problem.
Spent an hour on the phone with my distributor yesterday , Stern hasn't told them anything about a program
One guy gets called by Gary and told he will get a new playfield after sending his back , and all of a sudden there is a program ? Wrong, until stern makes a blanket statement to us or their distributors specifically regarding these pf there is no program.

Yes people are quick to forget that Stern has still said squat about anything to this point.

#3656 7 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Vid,
Libel and Liable have 2 different meanings.
While you have written plenty of things that are libel, I doubt those companies will hold you LIABLE.

The wonders of voice to text.....

#3657 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

my rfid was copied twice. i live in ny the capital of thieves. my rfid was compromised. yes they were able to use it once but still it was. i had to cancel reorder all my cards because of this.

That's my point. The damage was minimal - they got one transaction off. It's nothing like having your striped card cloned or your striped card info stolen.

#3658 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The wonders of voice to text.....

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#3659 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Ill post some pics, later today or tomorrow....

Thanks!

#3660 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

We have second hand information from at least two sources that there IS a program.

Quoted from Ranhorton:

"I too received a very nice phone call from Gary Monday evening.
I had sent a direct (but polite) inquisitive email about a week ago where I voiced my curiosity and concerns about the current playfield situation.
They are aware of everything and I was told a plan will be announced in the upcoming days.
-Ran

Quoted from kpg:

So, Trent gets back to me about this "Program". Trent said Stern is undergoing a review process of my playfield, and if approved for replacement, they will send me an empty box that I send my playfield back to them where they swap all components to a new playfield and then send it back.

EDIT: I have since spoken with Stern and the issues/anger above has been clarified.. definitely speak to your dealer about this, as the above information may not apply to you!

What we don't have is details on the program. Based on the existing evidence I'm confident that a program exists and Stern will pass the details along to the people who need to know when they figure out the exact details themselves.

#3661 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

We have second hand information from at least two sources that there IS a program.

My bad we have two people.

What we don't have is details on the program.

Exactly, we don't , customers and distributors.

I'm confident that a program exists

Very speculative and a complete guess.
All I want is for stern to say something and at least acknowledge the issue .

#3662 7 years ago

Look guys I'm not just stirring the pot to to stir the pot.
If stern would acknowledge the issues and concerns, not how or why, and tell us that they have corrective actions in place then alot of this settles down. Im hoping for the best for everyone , including me and the next guy,

#3663 7 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Vid,
Libel and Liable have 2 different meanings.
While you have written plenty of things that are libel, I doubt those companies will hold you LIABLE.

That is as much fun as effect and affect. Confusing little suckers if you aren't paying attention.

#3664 7 years ago

Well clear is starting to chip off in my GBLE shooter lane. =(

IMG_0978 (resized).jpgIMG_0978 (resized).jpg

#3665 7 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

LE = Lemon Edition

#3666 7 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

How many games?

#3667 7 years ago

Got my GBLE today, think i might have a little ghosting on we can we saw, a little hard to tell since its a white insert everything else looks great will post some pictures shortly

#3668 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Got my GBLE today, think i might have a little ghosting on we can we saw, a little hard to tell since its a white insert everything else looks great will post some pictures shortly

Congrats on getting your game!

Keep in mind most of our machines looked perfect straight out of the box before turning to shit 100+ games later.

Hopefully you got a good one !!!

#3669 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

We're going to need some build dates!

#3670 7 years ago

I spilled beer on stern play field hope it does not cause ghosting

#3671 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Glad yours came! Keep us updated. Mine is coming tomorrow and I'm nervously excited.

#3672 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

How many games?

Around 700 but I probably hit reset on the start button for more than half those games after a really bad ball one or two. My STLE has way more games and still looks new.

#3673 7 years ago

Well, Heres my story.

I starting working on a Plastic protector for airballs a few weeks ago, and started with a spare plastic that covered the 2 ramp targets.

Our gracious Pinsider, RipleYYY, Made a plastic and posted a template. so this took me to the next step.
A Big Thanks to RipleYYY for getting the ball rolling!

In starting with this, the left side wasnt anchored, and I keep getting plastic lift, slowing the ball down a bit, and eventually one air ball snapped it. This was less the new cover and likely as much the type of plastic I had laying around.
I still wasnt happy and extended it further to keep it from being hit while going up the ramps.

Now for this old guy, I no longer had scroll saws, and bench sanders and wheels...gave them all up a few years ago, so Im left with a Jigsaw, and a $10 harbor freight flex shaft and files.

The first 3 trials had issues, breaks, not covering well enough, and basically 2 hours each one, to fail over 2 days!
Needed more speed, more Lexan, and some power help.

Off to Harbor freight sale, and a little tiny 4"bench grinder, some new clamps, and cutting went faster.

The pic below will show some of the iterations...3 of the 7 I made.

I needed it longer, and had it resting on the metal ramp, but it was always arching a bit.

So to keep it all working, I notched the plastic for the ramp, and worked the anchor points.

The big issue.....Slimer dragging his butt. He has been hitting the metal since day one.
I pulled up some slack, and used the rubber post ring trick, but it didnt stay on long in testing.
Slimer was being a real pain about this. I rounded the edges, and removed as much as I could from the Plastic,
and he "rolls" around the right plastic edge coming out, but is clean going home.

Well I want perfection, and got into the slimer assembly. With a bit of pressure, the set screw came loose, and I raised the whole Arm a quarter inch and tightened. Cool, he is doing a better job coming out now, but not perfect.

So I go under the playfield and pull the whole Slimer assembly...its only 4 screws. So I started with washers, to lift the back, change the angle and move the whole assembly higher. Then 1/4" spacer. 3/4" 1"! No luck.
I bend the metal mounting bracket and repeat all, longer screws, angled spacers....Finally got slimer to not hit anything! Success!

WRONG. No its to high for a ball to hit. I reverse my steps, and test every combo....High enough to not rub, is too high for a ball to hit.

Tweaked it as best I can, and its back to rolling around the edge. Ill get a video up soon.

Grinding, filing, some more pieces, Im covered with Sweat and Plastic, and getting a bit pissed!

I am happy to say though, Ive reached a point where I am happy.
Less worried about Slimer hitting metal and creating wear, it rolls smoothly around the edge.

Notched the plastic for the ramp. and an adjustable hole on the left.

Ordered a bunch of ECto1 Old and New Matchbox, to mount on top of ambulance art, on the plastic.

Not sure about decals, but this is off to Pingraphics, to cut some more by laser, and sample out some art...if needed at all.....
Slime in Green or Purple is on the try list, but can you guys suggest any other ideas of art for the plastic that helps blend?

Very interesting and scary to start disassembling a new game so much!

Play testing tonight with no issues....happy with the results, but here to hear your thoughts and suggestions, so we can get this in production!

Air ball protector2 (resized).jpgAir ball protector2 (resized).jpg

Air ball protector full (resized).jpgAir ball protector full (resized).jpg

Air ball protector (resized).jpgAir ball protector (resized).jpg

Air ball protector sample trials (resized).jpgAir ball protector sample trials (resized).jpg

#3674 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Play testing tonight with no issues....happy with the results, but here to hear your thoughts and suggestions, so we can get this in production!

Thought you retired Art? Can't keep a good man down!

#3675 7 years ago

Art, I'm interested in your ramp plastic and it looks great; but I'm a bit concerned about having to fool with my Slimer (mine currently works at it should).
With your finished protector, would we need to make modifications with the Slimer mechanism in order for him to clear or avoid hitting this plastic?
Thanks for making this great mod!

#3676 7 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Thought you retired Art? Can't keep a good man down!

You think? I am grateful for all the support, but thankfully retired from the 80-100 work week!

Quoted from JMK:

Art, I'm interested in your ramp plastic and it looks great; but I'm a bit concerned about having to fool with my Slimer (mine currently works at it should).
With your finished protector, would we need to make modifications with the Slimer mechanism in order for him to clear or avoid hitting this plastic?
Thanks for making this great mod!

This is hard for me to tell, as it appears each game is a bit different in how their slimer is angled, or hitting, or not.

Likely a small test run will go out with Feedback.
I made a Poll, and it was responded with a need for Ghost target to have some cover for airballs.

If I remove that part, and anchor only on the left, 100%, no adjusting....nothing to adjust.

Would some slimers need a hex key to loosen a set screw and raise up to 1/4"?.........Possible.

Likely, when done, there may be two choices, ( I still have to test on what helps/fits on a pro)
If not, and only this one, and you are concerned about using a hex key to raise your Slimer, and uncomfortable
to do this, I might recommend passing on this.....

Because each game, each Slimer is different, I am certain there is no way to anchor above the Ghost Target, and avoid his path...he clears by less than 1/4 from the target as he comes out.

#3677 7 years ago

Art, thanks for the quick response. I would be fine using a hex key if necessary to raise Slimer if it meant making this plastic work. I'm personally not getting many airballs off the Ghost target so it would also be great with a plastic anchoring only from the left.
Either way, if you end up with just one design to cover both plastics, I would still be very interested.
Thanks again for taking the initiative to design this very needed mod.

#3678 7 years ago

Is someone making these plastics in "volume"?
Maybe I should use my Techshop membership to make a bunch if needed.

#3679 7 years ago

Yes, John.

I am working this at this time with Pingraffix towards mass production.

#3680 7 years ago

Art it looks like your plastic goes too deep up the ramp flap and the balls probably hit it when they roll under. I had that issue and yours looks like my proto type. My new design works perfect.

20160813_163804 (resized).jpg20160813_163804 (resized).jpg

#3681 7 years ago

Havent had any issues so far...I believe the difference is yours is anchored flat.

I have 1/4 inch standoffs, which puts the plastic between the plastic city, and the metal base support.

Its further supported by the ramp notch. Solid as a Rock this way.

Does your slimer roll or touch the plastic rounded edge on the far right?

#3682 7 years ago

ya I have no standoffs so the ball gets almost zero air off targets. My slimer doesn't hit anywhere even if you manually move him back with your hand.

#3683 7 years ago

Depending on the angle of the rod that turns coming through the playfield has a big affect on this.

Its maybe what, 55 to 60 degrees? Theres a large oval hole.

I can change the angle, but I havent looked into "lowering" or pulling more cable, with
the arc of the swing.

It would seem, 1-3mm difference in where it is screwed in, plus about the same length variation in cable,
seems to be most of the issues.

If I remove the cover off the Ghost target, I could go back to flat.

I had two issues when doing it as you have, so I appreciate your input and help.

Other than our common 3 anchor points, you have yours resting on the metal rail, to the left of the metal ramp.
When I did this, I had 3 things happen.

1) on occasion, on the far left of the ramp inside, the ball would rub, with not enough Clearance.
Have you seen this? If not, I suppose there may be a subtle variation in the Ramp entrance flap?
2) On occasion, I would seen the middle "flex" when a ball had some lift....Any for you?
3) Did you have any concern about strength, as I had 1 snap, and felt it should be supported by the City Metal Substructure...?

Anyone else have thoughts to share as well?

#3684 7 years ago

mine is cut back from the ramp flap and I used pretty thick polycarbonate. click on my pic and look close-up

#3685 7 years ago

Also if you look at my posts on the GB issues thread I ground the cable on the bottom of my slimer then raised it up with 2 shooter rod washers.

20160803_183204 (resized).jpg20160803_183204 (resized).jpg

d94ded9fb9badc9148e44b7fe70a6aa869847329 (resized).jpgd94ded9fb9badc9148e44b7fe70a6aa869847329 (resized).jpg

20160803_183242 (resized).jpg20160803_183242 (resized).jpg

763889837198c81fee7ee94b5afb97223bef31d0 (resized).jpg763889837198c81fee7ee94b5afb97223bef31d0 (resized).jpg

12423659e5f03b9ff75f23b583a16c4f7b026aec (resized).jpg12423659e5f03b9ff75f23b583a16c4f7b026aec (resized).jpg

#3686 7 years ago

Thanks Mitch,

I raised Slimer up as you shared...Solves alot, thank you!

I see how yours is cut back, and a thicker Poly would do the trick.

Does yours cover some of the ghost target?

#3687 7 years ago

none of the ghost target is covered. Was originally but didn't fit well and don't need it.

#3688 7 years ago

I made my plastic with nothing but a bench grinder lol

#3689 7 years ago

Gotcha,

Im not interested in stepping on toes, so if you were planning on producing those, please do share.

Certainly, if people prefer this, its best for all. So please guys jump in.

If anyone else is in the game, with plans, please share so that the gang gets whats best.

#3690 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Gotcha,
Im not interested in stepping on toes, so if you were planning on producing those, please do share.
Certainly, if people prefer this, its best for all. So please guys jump in.
If anyone else is in the game, with plans, please share so that the gang gets whats best.

Feel free to copy my idea. I'd like to buy a professionally cut one. A proper cutter makes the edges so much better then a bench grinder.
I actually have it pulled off right now I can take a better picture tommorow if you want.

#3691 7 years ago

Id love to add it...A picture or a scan would save time....What did you use, 3mm thick?

Ill cut one out and put the two side by side..... I agree, less is better, especially if clear....Whatever
makes people happy!

#3692 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Id love to add it...A picture or a scan would save time....What did you use, 3mm thick?
Ill cut one out and put the two side by side..... I agree, less is better, especially if clear....Whatever
makes people happy!

The pro model needs one too. If you can share a template, I'll go have one cut at a glass shop and see how it works.

Rob

#3693 7 years ago

Sure Rob,

Ill forward you copies, if it helps.

#3694 7 years ago

I was made this plastic in the weekend.

I just need to shake the left side, slimer dont touch, but, if I give the ball to Slimer not act the switch.

Sorry again for my english.

20160816_200146 (resized).jpg20160816_200146 (resized).jpg

20160816_200416 (resized).jpg20160816_200416 (resized).jpg

#3695 7 years ago
Quoted from nonik:

I was made this plastic in the weekend.
I just need to shake the left side, slimer dont touch, but, if I give the ball to Slimer not act the switch.
Sorry again for my english.

That looks sweet.

#3696 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LE = Lemon Edition

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#3697 7 years ago

so any further news/ updates re: "the program" ?

#3698 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

so any further news/ updates re: "the program" ?

First rule of "The Program" is you don't talk about The Program.

Or you can read about it on Rotten Tomatoes - https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_program/

(Sorry, bump)

#3699 7 years ago

It's really great seeing everyone come together (except Stern) to try and solve these problems. We certainly appreciate it folks.

#3700 7 years ago

Regarding "the program"

Contact your distributors and ask about Stern's playfield issue program.

If they claim to not know anything about it, tell them to contact Patrick Powers at Stern and get up to date on it.

If they act clueless or don't care, email [email protected] with your situation and as many detailed pictures as possible and be patient and you will get a response.

First and foremost bug your dealer about it as they have an obligation with Stern to facilitate claims for this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Machine - For Sale
Fresno, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

There are 6,561 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious/page/74 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.