Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg
There are 6,561 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 132.
#2551 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Stern are lucky they don't have any sizeable competition, or an issue like this, and more importantly how they have handled it, would do serious damage to a company. The fact it is doing damage without much competition shows how badly it has been managed.
Ironically it's also the lack of competition that has encouraged them to address this issue in such an in such arrogant way.
The days of addressing each issue case by case, behind closed doors, and "don't tell any other collectors about it", are gone. This is going to have to be a blanket fix - it's too widespread.
I still can't believe they haven't publicly addressed it. The whole thing would have been a non issue if they had come out early with a broad statement that they are aware of the problem, they are looking into it, and they will address it. How hard is that?

It's as hard as driving to the courthouse. As Vid pointed out a while back, I am sure they have been advised by legal counsel not to discuss it. Once they publicly acknowledge the issue, they open themselves up for all sorts of claims. I'll even bet when they do start addressing the issue, it will be done verbally, and individually. They don't want to write an email or letter that will make it's way to social media. If I make a post that says they are aware and looking into the issue, they are not liable because they cannot control what I post. If they put something in writing, then folks have a lot of ammo. This goes back to what I said before about social media....people posting about the issue brought it to a head with Stern, and are forcing them to correct it. But the same social media will severely hinder any fix, because they are never dealing with one person anymore....they are dealing with dozens.

#2552 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

So GBLE's are available again ?
LTG : )

I think there is an impact on Stern but I think the LE's are the exception to these cancelled orders (however many there really are). More people will risk GBLE then if it was just a base game. How many others that don't read pinside are oblivious to the ghosting issues going on? Now if I had took the plunge and purchased an LE and was waiting for it...I would not cancel my order as even with the known ghosting issues the machine is worth more defective then what I would have paid. I was going to purchase a NIB GB Premium but will hold off now till this situation gets resolved. I might just wait now for a HUO example so I can inspect the game prior to purchase.

#2553 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

The whole thing would have been a non issue if they had come out early with a broad statement that they are aware of the problem, they are looking into it, and they will address it.

I disagree. They have basically said this to people, it has been reported here and the topic is still going strong.

It will not become a nonissue until they solve the problem and know how they are going to take care of customers who are experiencing these issues moving forward. Even then, whether or not it's a nonissue depends on how they take care of the customers.

#2554 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Stern are lucky they don't have any sizeable competition, or an issue like this, and more importantly how they have handled it, would do serious damage to a company. The fact it is doing damage without much competition shows how badly it has been managed.
Ironically it's also the lack of competition that has encouraged them to address this issue in such an in such arrogant way.
The days of addressing each issue case by case, behind closed doors, and "don't tell any other collectors about it", are gone. This is going to have to be a blanket fix - it's too widespread.
I still can't believe they haven't publicly addressed it. The whole thing would have been a non issue if they had come out early with a broad statement that they are aware of the problem, they are looking into it, and they will address it. How hard is that?

Well if they made a public statement like that then they would be admitting that they know they have a problem and don't have it resolved but are continuing to produce machines knowing they have a problem with a large percentage of those machines being manufactured. Seems like a lose lose situation to me. I don't think Stern can financially afford to shut the line down until this problem is solved vs producing the product and handle the issues down the road. I would bet that they have decided it is much more cost effective to go on with business as usual handle the known issues case by case and come up with a solution as quick as possible to these problem playfields.

#2555 7 years ago

Official Ghostbusters Pinball "Thinking Cap".
Exclusive offer from Stern, $500.
Limited Edition with extra clear coat coming soon for owners, no charge.

Slimer_Hat2_(resized).jpgSlimer_Hat2_(resized).jpg

#2556 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

They need to find someone who knows PR and pay them well to straighten this mess out...........

Agree 100%. I've never met Jody and maybe he is a nice guy in person but the way he comes across on the Stern facebook page and the Jack Danger Videos he seems very arrogant, immature and not at all what PR and customer relations should be about. I'm just glad they haven't allowed him to respond to the complaints. Stern would be dead in the water for sure.

#2557 7 years ago

I just put my GB Pro order on HOLD with my distributor.
I didn't want to cancel it completely, as I love the game and hope Stern works things out in the coming months. I would rather wait it out than roll the dice.

I thought the cases were isolated until reading this thread.

#2558 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Is that the squarish outline of mylar on part of that insert? I was thinking of putting mylar on my smve to help prevent the ghosting from getting worse. But if this insert has mylar on half of it, it didnt help at all.

We have put mylar over some of our inserts to stop the clear coat chipping. So far so good. The clear coat has not lifted any further since we have put the mylar on. Most of our inserts were ghosted straight out of the box. We are in Australia and waxed the playfield before we used the machine.

IMG_0799_(resized).JPGIMG_0799_(resized).JPG

IMG_0802_(resized).JPGIMG_0802_(resized).JPG

IMG_0793_(resized).JPGIMG_0793_(resized).JPG

#2559 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

We have put mylar over some of our inserts to stop the clear coat chipping. So far so good. The clear coat has not lifted any further since we have put the mylar on. Most of our inserts were ghosted straight out of the box. We are in Australia and waxed the playfield before we used the machine.

Please remember that the pictures make the inserts look a lot worse than they really are. we like our machines to look and play as good as possible. We are not too bothered about the ghosting inserts but we are bothered if the clear starts cracking.

#2560 7 years ago

What I do know is Stern is about to experience a broomstick up their arse, with loss of general sales.
The word is spreading beyond PinSide.
Distributors are trying to calm the waters.

Absolutely true. Our distro has done everything they can to keep us happy and as always we are very happy with their service and will always remain loyal to them. The issue lies with Stern and is for Stern to address. I am sure that Stern is looking to find a solution and I am hoping that the solution suits us all. Time will tell.

#2561 7 years ago

Our distro has done everything they can to keep us happy and as always we are very happy with their service

Curious, what have they done? Is this regarding GB specifically?

#2562 7 years ago
Quoted from Rokablly:

Curious, what have they done? Is this regarding GB specifically?

It is not fair to the Distro. Distro's commercial decisions have nothing to do with Stern. I am not sure if the issue lies only with GB. We only have an issue with GBLE.

#2563 7 years ago

I get it but when you say your Distro has done everything they can to keep you happy, you've peaked my curiosity as to what it is they've actually done for you. Maybe my Distro should or can be doing the same.

#2564 7 years ago
Quoted from Rokablly:

I get it but when you say your Distro has done everything they can to keep you happy, you've peaked my curiosity as to what it is they've actually done for you. Maybe my Distro should or can be doing the same.

arent they obligated to give a full refund ? they sold the machine...

what are distributors obligations in regards to manufacturing defects ? just pass on info to Stern about it?. and just act as a go-between ?

#2565 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

arent they obligated to give a full refund ? they sold the machine...
what are distributors obligations in regards to manufacturing defects ? just pass on info to Stern about it?. and just act as a go-between ?

I've been told the distributor has a lot more pull to get things resolved than the actual consumer so I've always assumed they are just a go-between but then this will be my first NIB and purchase from a distributor.

It does seem that the distributor would bare all the responsibility for any defects but then again I'm starting to think a lot is backwards in the world of pinball.

#2566 7 years ago

You may want to call your distributors and ask this..."out of all the LE's you have shipped how many are reported ghosting?" If you look on here it looks like about 10 or so folks are speaking of it. So I have spoken to 2 distributors and both stated they had not gotten one call or complaint about it after shipping LE and Pro models. So it makes me ponder, is it just a couple batches of playfields, or a small % of units overall are just badly produced? Either way I find it interesting to figure out how bad it is. A few folks on here with the issue seems a lot, but maybe the reality is like 1 in 10 LE units have this issue. Any thoughts?

#2567 7 years ago

Wow..that picture of the pf convinced me, this is a big f-ing deal. The ghosting is one thing but the clear chipping off is something else all together..it's basically game over for that pf. That pf needs to come out at some point. This will also majorly affect resale value. Also not many people can swap a palyfield, I sure as hell don't.

#2568 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

clear chipping off

clear has been chipping off since 88, nothing to see here...move along

#2569 7 years ago

Which one if your NIB Stern games started chipping after 150 games? Oh never mind you don't own any.

#2570 7 years ago
#2571 7 years ago
Quoted from Rokablly:

I've been told the distributor has a lot more pull to get things resolved than the actual consumer so I've always assumed they are just a go-between but then this will be my first NIB and purchase from a distributor.
It does seem that the distributor would bare all the responsibility for any defects but then again I'm starting to think a lot is backwards in the world of pinball.

Your distro should always want to look after you. Once you are addicted to pinball most people cannot stop at one machine and your distro knows that. Collectively the distros will definitely have more pull than us as a single customer. This is why I believe that Stern will be forced to do something. Stern are normally fantastic at resolving issues and I honestly cannot see this as being any different. It may take some time. The only machine we have ever received new without issues has been TWDLE. What a fantastic pinball experience. One out of seven!

The world of pinball is definitely very different! Lots of fun too.

#2572 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Oh never mind you don't own any.

#2573 7 years ago

OK..my bad, Without the half-dozen sarcasm signs it was hard to see that. Sorry.

#2574 7 years ago

The only machine we have ever received new without issues has been TWDLE. What a fantastic pinball experience.

I must lead a charmed pinball life, my first NIB, Mustang Pro was perfect right out of the box and still is, the same goes for my 2nd NIB, GB Pro. So I'm 2 for 2 with NIB games. But I'm really sorry to hear of others troubles.

#2575 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Official Ghostbusters Pinball "Thinking Cap".
Exclusive offer from Stern, $500.
Limited Edition with extra clear coat coming soon for owners, no charge.

That is some funny stuff right there! lol

#2576 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I must lead a charmed pinball life, my first NIB, Mustang Pro was perfect right out of the box and still is, the same goes for my 2nd NIB, GB Pro. So I'm 2 for 2 with NIB games. But I'm really sorry to hear of others troubles.

We do not mind. They have to come a long way to Australia and it is all part of the fun for us! Most of the issues have been easy to fix. eg. X-men 3 aux boards and 1 year later the machine is fantastic. It has run perfectly since then. Who was to know that the cycle rate in Aus would blow the transistors.

#2577 7 years ago

I feel like crying in my cheerios

#2578 7 years ago

Beautiful pin. Great fun!

No ghosting out of box.

Need the left ramp protector. Air balls off of those posts are unreal.

I'll post pics and review this thing later. Off to play.

Future ghosting or not, so happy I decided to keep it.

#2579 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

No ghosting out of box.

So happy you are into it!

Enjoy it as others are...its one special game, and in my house and friends, chosen as the most "fun"
from all the games I have!

#2580 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

No ghosting out of box.

Glad to see that you are loving it! That is great news and what pinball is all about.

My wife and our family love ours. We can live with some ghosting and clearcoat issues for now the machine is that good! We are sure that Stern will come good in time.

#2581 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

No ghosting out of box.

Great to hear Ice

I contacted our distributor to see where ours are, he is getting back to me tomorrow.... it's in the country... somewhere

#2582 7 years ago

Insert is spiderwebbed as well.
Not as bad some I have seen, and it can happen due to ball impacts (air balls most of the time, but #44/47/555 lamp heat does it as well over time), but not generally this quickly if the game is at really at 150 plays.
Some people here really should closely read their posts before hitting send button.
"I will never buy another NIB Stern again, only JJP, they don't have problems".
I guess some do have short memories.
WoZ anyone?

I think the clearcoat is chipping off your sarcasm detector.

#2583 7 years ago

I actually used this situation last night as an example in the marketing class I teach about how challenging it can be for companies to "get it right" when problems arise. It was a great case study bc Stern is still in that brief window where consumers are frustrated but optimistic, yet it looks like there are potentially a lot of complications behind the scenes (technical, legal, etc) that may be limiting their response.

If anyone cares what a bunch of MBA students in CT think, they all pretty much felt that transparency was still the best option at this point, assuming Stern is working towards a resolution. Let consumers know that they've been heard and then keep them up to date on expected timelines for addressing the concerns.

#2584 7 years ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

I actually used this situation last night as an example in the marketing class I teach about how challenging it can be for companies to "get it right" when problems arise. It was a great case study bc Stern is still in that brief window where consumers are frustrated but optimistic, yet it looks like there are potentially a lot of complications behind the scenes (technical, legal, etc) that may be limiting their response.
If anyone cares what a bunch of MBA students in CT think, they all pretty much felt that transparency was still the best option at this point, assuming Stern is working towards a resolution. Let consumers know that they've been heard and then keep them up to date on expected timelines for addressing the concerns.

Exactly they can save my order - but not for much longer. I just keep reading about crappy switches - and other issues they wore off that compulsive I need to have it... Now all I think about is linera code and always having to adjust the really expensive game.

#2585 7 years ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

very cool to use Stern as your case study.

Tonight's assignment - have them read Pinside to see what perspective people with a vested interest in Stern & pinball have. How many of them supported stringing Stern up? My guess is not many, yet we've had a few here. I'd just like to see them tarred and feathered until they resolve the issue and compensate the impacted Owners. The students might judge the structural and physical aspects of the insert issues as more of a cosmetic thing. This is where reading some of posts explain that the problems are real, they can be bad and sometimes get relly bad.

Also apllicable to your students is the legal perspective. Stern's warranty is a piece of swiss cheese - it does not recognize these issues as faulty so no remediation would be required. Instead, it is important to keep Stern's operating practices in perspective and to recognize that Stern has always stood behind their pinball machines and has gone way beyond the legal requirements to make things right for their customers. There is no reason to assume this time will be different.

#2586 7 years ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

There is still hope for the future....hope these kids keep it that way in the big bad world out there.
Transparency is the only way to go. I will keep faith as long as they inform me. Even if they decide not to do anything in the end and can give me a reasonable explanation, I will feel better than this silence.

#2587 7 years ago

Just put a deposit on a Hobbit, decided to avoid anymore Stern's until things get better.

#2588 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Just put a deposit on a Hobbit, decided to avoid anymore Stern's until things get better.

Smart move. I would insta-cancel my GB order if I had one.

#2589 7 years ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

This is the current problem at hand , I'm glad your class thinks that transparency is the best route , yay class, but where is it ? Zero word from stern on how it will handled or even the fact that they HAVE a problem. Speculation on how stern should handle it and how they actally handle are two different things.

#2590 7 years ago

Stern is obviously silent on Pinside, but are those affected not hearing anything via distributors?

#2591 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Stern is obviously silent on Pinside, but are those affected not hearing anything via distributors?

Does a month of getting the runaround, ignored emails and no offer of a resolution count?

#2592 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Does a month of getting the runaround, ignored emails and no offer of a resolution count?

Sometimes, silence is deafening..........

#2593 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Not to bust anybody's super shiny Silverjets, but anybody on Pinside with an "unknown location" and no games in their collection kind of irks me out a little.

Then it looks like I got the desired result. FYI I don't own any pinball machines, they own me. By the looks of things I'm not alone.

And sorry, I only let my friends or people I trust come over or know my exact location.

How about people that say they live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, nowhere near an sort of island group or landmass.

I'm not sure anybody could find me anyway.

download_(resized).jpgdownload_(resized).jpg

#2594 7 years ago

Their silence stopped me from getting a NIB TWD, got a used one instead. Also shifted my thoughts of a Metallica over to a Hobbit....Guess their silence cost 2 sales right there. I'm happy though, TWD LE is sweet and the Hobbit looks amazing too. So thank you Stern for your silence on these defective playfields.

#2595 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Mid-cycle updates are not their forte... I wouldn't expect an updates until they have a 'here are your options' discussion. We won't have that until Stern has figured out playfields that don't ghost 3 weeks after being manufactured

#2596 7 years ago

OK I now heard rumor that the imported plastics from China had new employees that missed the step of ultrasonic cleaning process. So in bags of a100 inserts they left factory with the mold release agent on. Now while careful wipe down of pf does in fact happen before the paint process it is only IPA as fact that with all the ridiculous EPA laws that is the preferred solvent of choice. But compared to many other solvents really not the solvent to be used. And of course to make matters worse the clear coat does not like to stick to the new plastics which are still outgassing. And that was due to a change in clear coat formula due to more EPA regulations.

Don't be mad at Stern. Be mad at the EPA.

A made up public service message from a fan of imron, lacquer paint, xylene and chrome.

#2597 7 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Be mad at the EPA

damn you clean air act! bring back acid rain and lead paint so the pinball industry doesn't have to change! think of the children!!

Todays paper: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-pollution-deaths-20160810-snap-story.html

"More than 2,000 Southern Californians die early each year from polluted air, and the region would benefit the most of anywhere in the country from reducing ozone and fine particle pollution below current federal limits, a new study has found."

#2598 7 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Don't use quotes as though you are quoting someone and then make up the text. The guy who posted that comment never wrote "they don't have problems". Here is the proper quote from kpg:
"Only JJP NIB for me from this point on, that's for sure. Fun game, but I'm not playing the Stern NIB lottery again."

So quickly do people people forget...again.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-nib-never-again
245 posts of fun, read them.
Lots of JJP shenanigans as well, in alternative threads.
More see saw.

If people took the time to understand what can happen with pinball machines, they would be less apt to look like a$$clowns.
The GB Pinball "thinking cap" is still available for $500 from Stern for anyone that needs one.

Remember I never condemn a person for complaining, only for lack of logic of "this problem has never happened before" and similar nonsense as a means of purchase defense, as the knowledge exists for education across the spectrum of this industry.

Don't say "pull my finger" and then say that it was not that you that farted.
Half the posts in this thread are exactly this point.

If it truly is a new problem, everybody should know.

#2599 7 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

OK I now heard rumor that the imported plastics from China had new employees that missed the step of ultrasonic cleaning process. So in bags of a100 inserts they left factory with the mold release agent on. Now while careful wipe down of pf does in fact happen before the paint process it is only IPA as fact that with all the ridiculous EPA laws that is the preferred solvent of choice. But compared to many other solvents really not the solvent to be used. And of course to make matters worse the clear coat does not like to stick to the new plastics which are still outgassing. And that was due to a change in clear coat formula due to more EPA regulations.
A made up public service message from a fan of imron, lacquer paint, xylene and chrome.

So the puck just keeps getting passed from Stern to playfield manufacture now to a Chinese company and the EPA wow we got a conspiracy on our hands who knows maybe aliens are behind the whole thing

#2600 7 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

I once outgassed......had to blame it on the dog.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 103.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
$ 8.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.50
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 25.50
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 6,561 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious/page/52 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.