Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg
There are 6,561 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 132.
#1401 7 years ago

UGH, not good....I wonder how wide spread this issue is?

#1402 7 years ago

It looks like some of the Australian LEs have it, This problem seems to show up after you start playing and keeps getting worse over time. Almost like the inserts are sinking/ settling

#1403 7 years ago
Quoted from Fresh_Wax:

@OP, Good Luck Friend
You probably won't be able to post to their facebook page after posting that.... That's just how they deal with questions that aren't good Public Relations for them... I haven't been able to comment on their page for years, after asking where the Star Trek code was.... I wonder, where IS the Star Trek code

Same here. Except I got booted for simply offering to help address the lack of code updates. Maybe they thought I was being sarcastic.

#1404 7 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Same here. Except I got booted for simply offering to help address the lack of code updates. Maybe they thought I was being sarcastic.

I would

#1405 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Came across this Pinbot for sale and thought of this thread. Is this the same issue or is this mylar lifting? Whatever it is, it's surprising there's no obvious breaking / deterioration.

Yup mylar, if it has regular bulbs still in it put leds in pronto.

#1406 7 years ago

Stern won't do shit. Or just banning people on Facebook. I sent off my weekly email on Friday. Next is an official letter from my legal dept. to the distributor (he doesn't answer calls, texts, emails as well anymore)

#1407 7 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

Stern won't do shit. Or just banning people on Facebook. I sent of my weekly email on Friday. Next is an official letter from my legal dept. to the distributor (he doesn't answer calls, texts, emails as well anymore)

may be thats the only way what they understand.

#1408 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yup mylar, if it has regular bulbs still in it put leds in pronto.

It was just a machine from an import for sale list, I wasn't seriously considering picking it up... Heat from incandescents will cause mylar to lift? Didn't know that...

#1409 7 years ago

This thread makes me only want to buy used until this problem is fixed.

#1410 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

may be thats the only way what they understand.

you know the only way they'll understand; we all do.

#1411 7 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

Stern won't do shit. Or just banning people on Facebook. I sent off my weekly email on Friday. Next is an official letter from my legal dept. to the distributor (he doesn't answer calls, texts, emails as well anymore)

Has he offered you anything before communications ceased?

#1412 7 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

Did you pay with a credit card?

#1413 7 years ago

No offer, no. And no credit card. Yet it doesn't matter in Europe. Consumer rights are strong enough.

I really like my distributor. Yet if he also tries to play the I'm-not-answering-game, legal is the only way to go.

#1414 7 years ago

Per the warranty or any description posted anywhere by your distributor or stern do you see anything stating that ghosting is a flaw or that it is covered.

This issue sucks for all of us, your not the only one with this issue. This is something that has happened to pinball machines since the beginning of them, if it's something you don't like, simply stop buying them. These machines are not advertised as anything other than plastic and wood being hit with a steel ball. Pinballs WILL break, wear, scratch, dent, fade, ghost, fry electronics, and just about everything else at some point.

#1415 7 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

Pinballs WILL break, wear, scratch, dent, fade, ghost, fry electronics, and just about everything else at some point.

and that point can be minute one apparently!!!!

#1416 7 years ago

Per the warranty or any description posted anywhere by your distributor or stern do you see anything stating that ghosting is a flaw or that it is covered.
This issue sucks for all of us, your not the only one with this issue. This is something that has happened to pinball machines since the beginning of them, if it's something you don't like, simply stop buying them. These machines are not advertised as anything other than plastic and wood being hit with a steel ball. Pinballs WILL break, wear, scratch, dent, fade, ghost, fry electronics, and just about everything else at some point.

I couldn't care less about Sterns warranty. It just does not matter in the least significant way. All that matters is Austrian Consumer laws for goods that are sold here. The contract is between two Austrian parties.
Even if someone in a hole in the ground on some remote location has a distributor here, the product needs to meet the standards and the warranty here . It's the local seller's responsiblity to make sure it'll work for him. Either sell it and be liable or just don't. If I'd like to buy it, I buy it. It's the sellers fault, not mine.

#1417 7 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

I couldn't care less about Sterns warranty. It just does not matter in the least significant way. All that matters is Austrian Consumer laws for goods that are sold here. The contract is between two Austrian parties.
Even if someone in a hole in the ground on some remote location has a distributor here, the product needs to meet the standards and the warranty here . It's the local seller's responsiblity to make sure it'll work for him. Either sell it and be liable or just don't. If I'd like to buy it, I buy it. It's the sellers fault, not mine.

"It just doesn't matter" Bill Murray (1979)

#1418 7 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

What standard does the game not meet? Your acting as if this is the only game in the history of pinball machines that has this issue. Ghosting is not limited to your one game. You keep referring to the consumer law there, can you please cite which section covers an issue like this?

Ghosting is a natural chemical reaction on a pinball machine, not limited to your specific game and it's not necessarily a flaw.

#1419 7 years ago

I've been following this thread for a while now. Last friday I recieved my GBLE, got it set up on saturday and been playing since then (not that much, like a game or 20.....). Untill now so far as I can see my playfield is fine.... But your stories worry me (a lot). So for the most of you who have problems, they occure after about 3 days?

My GBLE is manufactured on 21 of may 2016. So I assume that it was part of the batch of pinball machines where the playfield with ghosting is seen. I still hope I'm one of the lucky ones with no ghosting issue's, but I will keep you informed.

I can't imagine Stern isn't going to do anything about this problem. I mean pinball machines are very expensive and here in Europe we pay like €9400,- to €9800,- for a limited edition...... Stern has to fix this!

#1420 7 years ago

Be prepared for what words are being suggested.

youre-gonna-need-a-bigger-boat-social-media-inspiration-from-jaws_(resized).pngyoure-gonna-need-a-bigger-boat-social-media-inspiration-from-jaws_(resized).png

#1421 7 years ago

Stern has just deleted my post on their facebook page. They don't want to hear anything about the issue. No communication from them, we don't know if they are working on a solution. Black out ! they only say, see with your distributor, but the distributor have no informations. They are playing tennis between their customers and distributors. They are really fast to take money but to supply a really good support ???.

I bought a star trek le game too, after playing a few games, the siderails lights broke. 8 months to get 2 small pcbs and 2 led stripes ! so for inserts ghosting issue XX years ?.

They don't take care to their customers anymore, (support, code update, to much problem for a NIB game at 10k euro, unfinished game when they are available on the market ). This post have the right name ! Stern are you serious ?.

they want to buy cheap parts to build their game but after that the customers will pay the problems.

To be honest I'm really disapointed, frustrated. They have created a really fun, wonderful game with really good rules and I love it but too much problems for a fresh new game at 10k euro again. I'm feeling like I have bought a pinball machine like a piece of cake at 3$ at the super market. No consideration for their customers. You're on the right way !

deleted_post_(resized).pngdeleted_post_(resized).png

Edit :

A fresh email from stern to a french customer :

Hi XXXX,

Could you please send me some pictures of the damaged inserts you're referring to and also give me the name of your distributor and your game's serial number?

Thank you,
XXX

2nd email:

Hi XXXX,
Sorry to hear you are having problem with your game. Can you send us a picture of the damage?

Thank you,
XXX

#1422 7 years ago

Ghosting is a natural chemical reaction on a pinball machine

I'll have to keep checking I guess but my 20 y/o Bally/Williams are immune to this chemical reaction.

#1423 7 years ago
Quoted from zaker:

Stern has just deleted my post on their facebook page.

"Avoid the problem, and you'll never be the one to overcome them"

#1424 7 years ago

Yup, after hearing about all of the issues with the game, especially playfield issues, I'll be waiting at least a year before deciding to purchase. Its a slap in the face to buyers for this amount of issues to be occuring especially with prices going up yet again.

These NIB prices are insane and Stern needs to realize that if they are going to charge insane prices that they better over deliver on quality (as well as code support) rather then the opposite.

#1425 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I'll have to keep checking I guess but my 20 y/o Bally/Williams are immune to this chemical reaction.

Bally/Williams are about 50/50. There are plenty of them out there with ghosting.

I still am waiting for someone to explain how they consider ghosting a defect. It's not.

#1426 7 years ago

the clearcoat cracks also after 2 weeks

Gary knows this Problem, but he only info "we are working on it"

not how and what would be the soloution

we are happy in europe, the Distributor must swap the machine or take it back

sorry for us owners.

#1427 7 years ago

I still am waiting for someone to explain how they consider ghosting a defect. It's not.

Well when the product is brand new and you cater to the collector market (because let's face it...it's a big part of their business) then ghosting on insert right out of the box would be considered a defect. Operators couldn't give two shits about ghosting because they are putting the game on location and making money while a collector will put it in his basement and enjoy them as art pieces, toys, memorabilia etc... While it is a fine line Stern has created the premium and LE's with collectors in mind so when an LE is ghosting after 1 week I would consider that a problem.

Bally/Williams are about 50/50. There are plenty of them out there with ghosting.

Some of those games have 100K plays on them , of course after time ghosting will show up (or not)...but you are trying to compare a game that has been beaten up, put on a truck and unload 100's of times, put through winter and summer cycles for the past 2-3 decades to a game that has just been removed from a box.

#1428 7 years ago

Ghosting is not the only problem with mine. I have a cracked insert (yes, that's definitely a defect) and the inserts rose and lowered, thus exposing their edges to the steel ball which will lead to wear pretty fast...

I'm not mad about loose screws, bulbs all over the place or the shaker motor only on three feet and damaging the bottom of the cab

#1429 7 years ago

This is a shame. I have a deposit on a premium but I am going to cancel. I'm not paying that much for a pin and having ghosting out of the box and the chance of the clear coming off and ruining the PF. I got that with my WOZ and I sold it for a loss.

#1430 7 years ago

Stern's quality has room for improvement. I spend more time repairing my Star Trek, Metallica and ACDC than I spend on my old AFM, Twilight Zone or Judge Dredd.
I won't be buying any new Stern's until quality improves. Seems that Jersey Jack's machines have their fair share of problems as well.
They just don't make'em like they used too...

#1431 7 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

I spend more time repairing my Star Trek, Metallica and ACDC than I spend on my old AFM, Twilight Zone or Judge Dredd.

Wow... just, WOW!!!

#1432 7 years ago

What standard does the game not meet? Your acting as if this is the only game in the history of pinball machines that has this issue. Ghosting is not limited to your one game. You keep referring to the consumer law there, can you please cite which section covers an issue like this?
Ghosting is a natural chemical reaction on a pinball machine, not limited to your specific game and it's not necessarily a flaw.

Ghosting CAN happen on any game - just like scuffs or discoloration can happen on ANY game. The fact it **can** happen on any game does not make it NOT a blemish or deficiency. Comparing inserts after years of commercial operation or decades of environment is not the same standard as looking at the product when it was new.

While it *can* happen on any game, it is not a condition expected on every game, or even most samples of a game as a new or young game. Thus why it's considered a deficiency or defect in the product when it happens on brand new games without any environmental drivers.

When the product's quality is below the accepted norm and QA standard - it is a defect. We do not get ghosting inserts on every game out of the box... well, now we are.. but not in Stern games prior.

And yes, consumer protection laws are generally MUCH stronger in europe. Mandatory warranties, mandatory returns, etc are pretty common.

#1433 7 years ago

I still am waiting for someone to explain how they consider ghosting a defect.

Even if you don't accept ghosting to be a defect, the reason leading to this ghosting right out the box is a defect. This is something that happens to old, not well treated machines that have 20 year old clear on them which is completely dried out. I've never seen a HUO machine apart from these new Sterns that shows such ghosting. Not even close.
Is rust on a car a defect? Probably not if it's 20 years old, has 200K milage and was always parked outside. Is it a defect on a brand new one? ...

The only pins that ghost in a similar way are the 90's JPop games, especially CV. No-one has ever questioned that CV has playfield issues or defects, even HSA regards the CV ghosting as an issue (see below from their site). If they don't know, who does?
Funny enough my CV-PF has less ghosting than most of the Sterns sampled here. My other pins have no ghosting at all, most of them are 20+ years old.

This thread is not about ghosting or not ghosting, it's about the timing and the scope of it.

PastedGraphic-1_(resized).pngPastedGraphic-1_(resized).png

#1434 7 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

Stern's quality has room for improvement. I spend more time repairing my Star Trek, Metallica and ACDC than I spend on my old AFM, Twilight Zone or Judge Dredd.
I won't be buying any new Stern's until quality improves. Seems that Jersey Jack's machines have their fair share of problems as well.
They just don't make'em like they used too...

I see this comparison a lot and it just doesn't make any sense, the reason a lot of these old B/W titles don't go down a lot anymore because all the hours and upgraded parts that have gone into them over the 25+ years since they came out. Ask any of the old timers and they will tell you that there was a lot more issues with B/W NIB than there ever has been with newer Sterns. Where's vid or any of the other veterans to chime in?

#1435 7 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I see this comparison a lot and it just doesn't make any sense, the reason a lot of these old B/W titles don't go down a lot anymore because all the hours and upgraded parts that have gone into them over the 25+ years since they came out. Ask any of the old timers and they will tell you that there was a lot more issues with B/W NIB than there ever has been with newer Sterns. Where's vid or any of the other veterans to chime in?

In some cases.. but much of the quality issues you hear about were either
1) build issues - these things were done in volume and without trying to be pristine.. so build errors or out of the box failures were common. That is just a temporary thing until the initial DoA stuff is fixed. This doesn't mean anything to longevity or long term reliability

2) Design flaws or parts substitutions - There were a number of designs over the years that just didn't work, or didn't hold up. Those are specific examples, not generalizations. Also over time there were manufacturing changes in parts.. that ultimately over time proved to be unreliable (certain sockets, etc).

The items in #2 tend to be the things we associate with the specific games or eras (like the edge connectors on WMS boards, or the ground system on sys80, etc).

These topics don't speak to the general issue of how robust games or mechs are.. or the types of materials used.

Most of the comments about 'worse than stern ever was..' are about the 'out of the box' readiness of the games. They were not the best for assembly QA before shipping games. But that's separate from the game's engineering or parts quality.

NIB QA is an entirely different topic from longevity, robustness, or parts quality.

#1436 7 years ago

The company doesn't intend it to look that way I assume so that sounds defective to me.....and it looks like shit, especially on a new game. That explain it?

#1437 7 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I'm not a 'recognized' veteran (I don't care about being 'recognized'), but I'm a veteran. Having worked on these games when they were new - yes, they had problems. All were mechanical, not playfield or art related. And at that - there were no 'improved parts' back then; they all came from Midway. And very, very few of the problems were 'recurring' - usually when things broke, they broke within the first 6 months, or after 3-4 years. Not one game I've ever worked on new or old had shown age-old defects (like playfield ghosting) when new.

Again, though - with ONE exception - CV. I worked on three CVs, and all had effin' horrid playfield issues.

#1438 7 years ago

This is ridiculous, I will never buy a NIB unless things get straightened out. Seems like the manufacturers now a day's don't care about customer satisfaction. I understand there will always be mistakes made but for almost every game to go out with decals falling off, chips in the cabinets, damaged toys or play fields is just ludicrous. People spend good money on these machines, to get treated like crap, lied to, kept in the dark about what the hell is going on ect. They will only keep doing it, unless people vote with their money and spend it elsewhere. I am sorry but to see a 20 + year old playfield that is in better shape then a never played NIB is crazy.

#1439 7 years ago

For me (GB LE on order) this has got nothing to do with what happened or did not happen 20 years ago. I often see the veterans defending bad workmanship form the manufacturers as something that is normal. They are in a different mindset and in a different situation. If something is being used as a tool or to make money from, it is not important if it has some scratches or dents. They should work and thats it.

For a lot of people buying machines now, they do not make any money from the machines. Also Stern sells Limited Collectors editions. So that is clearly a different thing altogether. They should be optically flawless out of the box, no matter what. After use they should get normal wear. Ghosting is not normal wear as it also happens when the game is not being used.

Stern wants us to pay a lot of extra for something they advertise as more beautiful, better coated, better protected and what not. But when it clearly is not as advertised, they stay quiet. My guess is that they only try to cut costs everywhere they can and charge more for everthing.

As long as we buy the games, Stern will keep doing this. I really like Stern and have mainly Stern games, but it gets harder and harder to justify the cost of a product that gets inferior with each incarnation.

#1440 7 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

So what you are saying is that Stern uses low grade parts (versus upgraded parts) and doesn't spend many hours on the machines they sell. That's exactly my point and that's why I am done spending money of their half backed products.
If you make pinballs and can't make a decent opto switch and connectors that don't fail then maybe your product is not up to snuff. Same goes for failing mechanical parts (snake head) and poorly tested components, like lanes so narrow that the ball can't pass through (Metallica) and a sagging cannon (ACDC) that gets the ball stuck underneath. For that kind of money I simply expect better and not a bunch of lame excuses.

#1441 7 years ago

The whole point of buying a NIB pinball is so I don't have this kind of issue!

#1442 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

This is not an issue. It's a natural occurrence in some pinball machines.

#1443 7 years ago

Would u buy the OP's machine for the price he paid for? If so, problem solved!

#1444 7 years ago

It's a natural occurrence in some pinball machines.

Right...defective ones

#1445 7 years ago

I think if mine had ghosting I'd be frustrated and if Stern offered me a new playfield at their cost I would accept that as a solution. That way I could play the heck out of the machine and not worry about it knowing I could replace the playfield down the road.

#1446 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I think if mine had ghosting I'd be frustrated and if Stern offered me a new playfield at their cost I would accept that as a solution.

That's mighty white of you

#1448 7 years ago

Sorry, but for 10k US this is an issue, to me its a manufacturer defect, here is a picture of one insert with 2 days play and is getting worse the more plays it gets,(this never had the issue until it was played) the clear coat is lifting or the insert is sinking , It won't be long until the CC cracks and chips off. How's this playfield going to look and play in 6 months or a years time?

I wouldn't buy a second hand pinball with this issue, so wont accept a NIB pinball with it.

PS. out of all the pins I own (have owned) TOTAN is the only pin with slight ghosting at 20 years old and with less than in this pic

a8e06397e83d9a56a938deb5a15d2b1f_(resized).jpga8e06397e83d9a56a938deb5a15d2b1f_(resized).jpg

#1449 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I believe you are doing it wrong. Don't buy NIB if you want reliable and error free. Buy used. Buy a machine with a proven track record that has been played enough to expose any issue.

I buy NIB because I am willing to accept the risk and the used market for newish sterns is pretty quiet up here. But every machine is unique. My AC/DC just plays harder than other instances. Subtle differences in the ramps kill the momentum making the shots harder. If you play that instance before you buy you can see these things.

There are distributors out there that will do high touch treatment, offer their own warranties and help you with every aspect of owning a machine. This is a different experience than drop shipping and differing issues to stern. Find one of those. Some will setup the machine and run it through it paces before delivering to your home.

I have minor ghosting. I am waiting to see if it get's worse. I am only concerned if the delamination leads to cracking up in the future. I have heard of others that are worse and could only have happened from a mistake in the clear process. The ghosting on mine I am sure will be classified and within allowable margins.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather have no ghosting, but I am not going to stress over cosmetics.

Let the down votes commence.

#1450 7 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

Don't buy NIB if you want reliable and error free. Buy used. Buy a machine with a proven track record that has been played enough to expose any issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

15,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
There are 6,561 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious/page/29 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.