Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg
There are 6,561 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 132.
#1251 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Different process.
Clear coating a car bumper and pinball playfield are not same thing.
If you take a playfield to a car restoration shop, they are many times clueless, and do not know what to do.
Those that do, reject the situation due to potentials like wood warping and moisture.

If anything I am learning a lot from this read. I was hoping to find a place I could get a clear coat done for me if I needed it. I took a picture of a playfield to an auto shop where I had had some car work done. I think they are pretty good based on the high end hardware I see in there (Porsche Mercedes BMW even Lambo). He took one look at it and immediately started shaking his head, and said no way. At the time I wondered why it was such a big deal, after all wouldn't it be simple compared to producing beautiful paint jobs on those expensive cars? But now I see why. Your explanation makes it clear. With a piece of sheet metal on a car, they have a single smooth surface of painted metal that they can control very tightly. This piece of wood with random paint on it, all sorts of holes, and plastic pieces shoved in it is something else entirely.

After I talked to him a bit and said I would take it as is and he wouldn't be responsible for any imperfections or whatever, he finally said he would do it. $150 a shot though.

#1252 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Oh Pinside...

u should've kept (your snarkiness)

#1253 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

something is going on at Stern
i was informed that in the last 3 weeks no pinball left the factory?
Looks like GB LE production was stopped (may be they wait for new play fields)

Reveal your source and why they went to you with this confidential information.

#1254 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Thanks. Saturday morning hangover's can make me grumpy and indecisive. Your encouragement is appreciated.

#1255 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

Looks like GB LE production was stopped (may be they wait for new play fields)

"I was informed?" "Looks like?" "Something is going on?"

Awesome. Thanks for not confirming anything with Stern and just dropping a bunch of crap in this thread.

Who is your source, rumormonger?

#1256 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Agreed.

#1257 7 years ago

Someone in this thread, maybe Black Knight, made a very reasonable suggestion. Don't buy NIB. I see no problem going look at a game that has already had its issues either exposed or solved by the first owner.

Most HUO games have the pinball equivalent of a new car off the lot with 20-100 miles on it from test drives.

I'm not ignoring the production and quality issues here, but I can't change that from my computer. I can decide not to buy NIB.

#1258 7 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Someone in this thread, maybe Black Knight, made a very reasonable suggestion. Don't buy NIB. I see no problem going look at a game that has already had its issues either exposed or solved by the first owner.

Uh, that means SOMEBODY has to buy NIB for you to get it.....

#1259 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Be my guest!

#1260 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Agree and I'd also concede that Pinside now represents an enlarging portion of NIB purchases from Stern. My subjective guess is that the numbers here that won't buy NIB because of these issues is a small fraction of the group.

I'm counting on the rest of you.

#1261 7 years ago

...er, I think I'm with you....

#1262 7 years ago

You know the old adage... if you're worried about the cost of insurance on a Ferrari, then you shouldn't be buying a Ferrari.

I think the same thing applies to NIB pinballs.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with buying one... but be educated about what you're doing and only spend what you're willing to lose. I don't think it has anything to do with making a "smart move," but has everything to do with what your risk/tolerance is within your own (stress: own) budget.

#1263 7 years ago

So what happened?

Did it turn out that Stern was serious?

#1264 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So what happened?
Did it turn out that Stern was serious?

Nothing happened yet. Stern hasn't said they would or would not do something for people affected by this issue. They have only said they are "looking into the inquiries we have received"

#1265 7 years ago

Once stern comes out and says they won't do anything about these play fields, then not buying a game NIB might be in your best interest.
I've only ever known them to fix quality issues and help people, even out of warrantee. I would just wait and see what happens.

#1266 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

Interesting, considering an SMVE left Stern, was picked up from a local distributor, unboxed and played all on this date:

SMVE_(resized).jpgSMVE_(resized).jpg

#1267 7 years ago

dwsl_(resized).jpgdwsl_(resized).jpg

#1268 7 years ago

Well no NIB for me until this problem is sorted.....damn.

#1269 7 years ago

Did I mention this is happening exactly when I don't have the cash for a NIB game?

#1270 7 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Interesting, considering an SMVE left Stern, was picked up from a local distributor, unboxed and played all on this date:

Pfft... never let facts get in the way of a good story!

#1271 7 years ago

23399746065_ae58f8eb7b_b_(resized).jpg23399746065_ae58f8eb7b_b_(resized).jpg

#1272 7 years ago

You. Are. Not. Serious.

#1273 7 years ago

Crickets......

So they are just going to ship with no comments.

#1274 7 years ago

Buddy_Holly_The_Crickets_(resized).jpgBuddy_Holly_The_Crickets_(resized).jpg

#1276 7 years ago

Very cool.

That's Gottlieb's old "pants presser". Still kicking.

#1277 7 years ago

Did Gary get that in an liquidation sale when he started Data East?

#1278 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Did Gary get that in an liquidation sale when he started Data East?

I'm not sure.

He's had that thing forever.....

#1279 7 years ago

Every single sega, data east and stern playfield has gone through that press.

#1280 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Every single sega, data east and stern playfield has gone through that press.

And a bunch of Gottliebs as well!

Brad

#1281 7 years ago

Is it possible they used that press at Stern Electronics?

I would assume when Gary and his dad bought up Chicago Coin, the assets it came with included a press. Maybe Chicago Coin had the Gottlieb Press when they went under.

#1282 7 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Most HUO games have the pinball equivalent of a new car off the lot with 20-100 miles on it from test drives.
I'm not ignoring the production and quality issues here, but I can't change that from my computer. I can decide not to buy NIB.

I bought KISS and Metallica NIB, but when Aerosmith comes out later this year, I'm going to wait for a used one to hit the secondary market 6-12 months later to save some 4 and make sure there aren't playfield or other issues.

#1283 7 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

I bought KISS and Metallica NIB, but when Aerosmith comes out later this year, I'm going to wait for a used one to hit the secondary market 6-12 months later to save some 4 and make sure there aren't playfield or other issues.

Maybe because Aerosmith qualify as a secondary band (musical taste terms, of course)!

#1284 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Is it possible they used that press at Stern Electronics?
I would assume when Gary and his dad bought up Chicago Coin, the assets it came with included a press. Maybe Chicago Coin had the Gottlieb Press when they went under.

Gottlieb went under in the late 1990s so one can safely assume that it was not in Chicago Coin's possession in 1977.

#1285 7 years ago

...three weeks in. No reaction from Stern. Neither to the distributor, nor to me.

#1286 7 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

...three weeks in. No reaction from Stern. Neither to the distributor, nor to me.

It could be months until the FI playfields enter the production stream.

#1287 7 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

to save some 4 and make sure there aren't playfield or other issues.

What other numbers do you want to save?

#1288 7 years ago

Apparently Lyman Sheats is pretty serious

#1289 7 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

thats a service, great!

#1290 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Gottlieb went under in the late 1990s so one can safely assume that it was not in Chicago Coin's possession in 1977.

Well, Data East was started in the 1980's, and Gary had the Press then. So, apparently Gottlieb had more than one press, or replaced them at some time.

The question is.....when.

#1291 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Well, Data East was started in the 1980's, and Gary had the Press then. So, apparently Gottlieb had more than one press, or replaced them at some time.
The question is.....when.

I thought their old press was a Monroe?

#1292 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I thought their old press was a Monroe?

I dunno. Just speculating on when Gary got the Gotllieb.

Someone should seriously wrote a book about the Sterns....and interview Gary before it's too late. So much history there.

#1293 7 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Did I mention this is happening exactly when I don't have the cash for a NIB game?

Did we mention no one cares?

#1294 7 years ago

I asked Stern about this issue as my distributor told me to make sure I would get some service if the ghosting happened to my GB LE before the purchase, but guess what ? No reply yet. I asked last friday through mail.

#1295 7 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

I asked Stern about this issue as my distributor told me to make sure I would get some service if the ghosting happened to my GB LE before the purchase, but guess what ? No reply yet. I asked last friday through mail.

Through the mail?

Maybe someone should try smoke signals next!

Smoke_Signals_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1172443_(resized).jpgSmoke_Signals_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1172443_(resized).jpg

#1296 7 years ago

AutomationWeek says:

"
This Hannifin Hydraulic Press came from Gottlieb Co., the most successful pinball company in the U.S. for decades. It is one of two presses owned by the Gottlieb Co., and is believed to be one of four ever built. The press was specifically engineered to prepare pinball playfields for final assembly. Based on a template for each game, the press is used to dimple pilot holes so that assembly workers know precisely where to drill and place components. The Stern family acquired the press, which was built in the 1950s, in 1994, and claims that over 100,000 pinball machines have been built using it. It's current estimated replacement value is $59,000USD
"

Ste_(resized).jpgSte_(resized).jpg

#1297 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

AutomationWeek says:
"
This Hannifin Hydraulic Press came from Gottlieb Co., the most successful pinball company in the U.S. for decades. It is one of two presses owned by the Gottlieb Co., and is believed to be one of four ever built. The press was specifically engineered to prepare pinball playfields for final assembly. Based on a template for each game, the press is used to dimple pilot holes so that assembly workers know precisely where to drill and place components. The Stern family acquired the press, which was built in the 1950s, in 1994, and claims that over 100,000 pinball machines have been built using it. It's current estimated replacement value is $59,000USD
"

...doesn't mention how many worker's hands it has crushed along the way.

#1298 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

AutomationWeek says:
"
"

Great find! Interesting that it says the Press was obtained by the "Stern family". Does this mean when Sam Stern was still alive and working with his son? That puts the acquisition of the Press in the 70's or early 80's. Sam died in 83 or 84, IIRC.

#1299 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Great find! Interesting that it says the Press was obtained by the "Stern family". Does this mean when Sam Stern was still alive and working with his son? That puts the acquisition of the Press in the 70's or early 80's. Sam died in 83 or 84, IIRC.

Or it was acquired in 1994 as per the quoted article...

#1300 7 years ago

Weird that picture is a negative

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 103.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,561 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.