Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 600 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by capguntrooper
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 656 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_8151.JPG
IMG_1493.JPG
storage (resized).jpg
IMG_3408 (resized).JPG
IMG_3405 (resized).JPG
IMG_3404 (resized).JPG
IMG_3403 (resized).JPG
20170821_125227 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

There are 6558 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 132.
#901 3 years ago

Judging by the photos presented, it's clear that the weiner inserts shrink the most... Obviously related to exposure to low temperatures at some point.

#902 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

So you wanted a picture of the ghosting on AFM, and now that you've got it, it's not enough for you?
Unbelievable.......

Quoted from vid1900:

I've got NOS Williams playfields with ghosting, and they've never been in a machine. They have lived their lives in factory box.
I've had brand new reproduction playfields with it.

To be fair, I think he was more interested in seeing pictures of these.

#903 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Man, he really needs to optimize his workflow - he's wasting a ton of time grabbing and removing the playfields.

You are in Canada, go over and show them how it's done!

"I might die before I get my 10 Fathom, and 7 TAF playfields I ordered" LOL.

#904 3 years ago
Quoted from Bramvk:

Has anybody with this issue had any reply back from distributor or Stern?

images_(resized).jpg

#905 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I think he was more interested in seeing pictures of these.

Nothing would satisfy him, I've seen his type before....

#906 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

So you wanted a picture of the ghosting on AFM, and now that you've got it, it's not enough for you?

Unbelievable.......

I want a picture that justifies defects on new playfields. You've shown a blown-out MM playfield and now an AFM with edge wear and an insert that doesn't even fit in its hole properly.. (btw, if it's level, what is the light reflecting off of in the upper left corner?) You've shown nothing that justifies ghosting on a *new* game.

I'm done discussing it with you, and I still believe you're trolling. If not, and if you think that GBLE field we saw was acceptable, then it's simply a difference of opinion. More important than us, though, is that the owners of the defective playfields do not find them acceptable, and when it comes time to resell the game, those defects will lower the value of the game compared to other examples with no defects.

#907 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I want a picture that justifies defects on new playfields.

There is no such thing.

What are you even talking about?

"I want a picture from the Apollo Program that justifies the SpaceShuttle Challenger disaster...."

-

Quoted from metallik:

I'm done discussing it with you

Thank you; honestly it was getting kinda nutty near the end.

#908 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900: "I want a picture from the Apollo Program that justifies the SpaceShuttle Challenger disaster...."

Funniest thing I've ever read

#909 3 years ago

Obi Vid

Playfield_Ghosting_(resized).jpg

#910 3 years ago

Let's not get too carried away, lol.

Many playfields have ghosting. (I hope this does not hurt anyone's feelings).

1. Support your local distributor! Look at your exact game before you buy it.

2. Encourage your favorite pinball companies to switch to Carbon Fiber playfields (CF has very low transverse and longitudinal coefficients of thermal expansion).

3. Stop buying any new games until Fun Industries solves this 30 year old problem.

4. Go play pinball! This hobby is supposed to be fun.....

#911 3 years ago

Vid... would you have any pics of Stern playfields, pre GOT, SMve or GB that have ghosting?

#912 3 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Vid... would you have any pics of Stern playfields, pre GOT, SMve or GB that have ghosting?

I have not seen any ghosting personally in those 3 machines.

One guy thought he had some in his GOT, but it was just the centering of the insert.

Thousands of Pinheads own those 3 games. This thread will soon be flooded with pictures from all their machines if the problem is widespread.

#913 3 years ago

Surprised this is still going on...should be a resolution soon.

#914 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I might die before I get my 10 Fathom, and 7 TAF playfields I ordered.

I love you Vid but this is what drives me bonkers.

They do a terrible job advertising when they are running new play fields and then when you find out, their sold out - to people who seemingly "hoard" them. I say seemingly because I have no clue if you have 10 Fathoms on route and 7 TAF which you very may. It's like Ticketmaster of the pinball hobby.

Don't misread. I'm truly glad they build them but damn would love if they did a better job letting the little guys know. Take a note from the the color DMD guys. I see posts on pinside and get an email.

#915 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

..Fact is, ghosting has not been a problem on new playfields since CV (17 years ago)

I'd like to know where you found this fact. I think the problem is and has been much more pervasive than anyone thinks.

#916 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There is no such thing.
What are you even talking about?
"I want a picture from the Apollo Program that justifies the SpaceShuttle Challenger disaster...."
-

Thank you; honestly it was getting kinda nutty near the end.

You said this: Quoted from vid1900:

I've got NOS Williams playfields with ghosting, and they've never been in a machine. They have lived their lives in factory box.
I've had brand new reproduction playfields with it.

THIS is what he wanted to see - brand new PF's that come with this defect. Like some of the recent Stern's. I don't doubt there must be some some out there but when you have to come up with a pic you call the whole thing "nutty".

Put up or shut up dude! (don't be offended - I've just always wanted to say this)

#917 3 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

I love you Vid but this is what drives me bonkers.

They do a terrible job advertising when they are running new play fields and then when you find out, their sold out - to people who seemingly "hoard" them. I say seemingly because I have no clue if you have 10 Fathoms on route and 7 TAF which you very may. It's like Ticketmaster of the pinball hobby.

Would you not be happy if I put 10 brand new Fathoms out into the world?

Back in the day, Gene from IPB would sell me 6 KISS playfields, backglasses and plastics for one hell of a good price (cash of course).

I would build 6 brand new KISS games and the KISS fans would be overjoyed to have a brand new game.

I don't hoard stuff, I make people happy.

#918 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'd buy one!

#919 3 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

THIS is what he wanted to see - brand new PF's that come with this defect.

He did not make that clear.

Even if I fly home tomorrow, climb into my polebarn rafters and take some playfield boxes down, unwrap, light up some playfields and take a few pics - do you really think Matalick is going to appreciate my efforts?

Do you really think he will look a the pics and say "Wow, Vid, those pics justify the ghosting someone saw on their new Stern! Thank you for educating me!". ?

You know what they say about casting your pearls before swine....

#920 3 years ago
Quoted from c508:

I'd buy one!

That's what I'm talking about.

Happy people!

#921 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Back in the day, Gene from IPB would sell me 6 KISS playfields, backglasses and plastics for one hell of a good price (cash of course).
I would build 6 brand new KISS games and the KISS fans would be overjoyed to have a brand new game.
I don't hoard stuff, I make people happy.

Which is why I wrote "seemingly". I applaud your actions in this case.

#922 3 years ago

Making playfields, or restorations is hard. You need balls of steel to venture into this field. Many things can & do go wrong. Your using machines & humans to produce playfields. Many variables involved from wood, glue or epoxy, ink, & clear coats. Add in the time crunch for pinball machine manufacturers, & problems will likely surface.

Small or very low runs of playfields gives you more chance to catch problems & to try & fix them. Also allows you more time for drying during production. Low production allows you to epoxy or glue by hand, dry & build up around lenses (once or twice), & allows you the choice of redoing a lense(s) again. I spray myself for sealing the playfield before uv inkjet production, which is double pass for white & color. Then I send them out to the contractor that also does CPR work for finish clear. I use waterbourne Varethane gloss for sealing the wood, & G 2 epoxy. Also the key is to not rush production, & allow lots if time for drying or curing, & out gasing!

IMG_0132_(resized).JPG

IMG_0133_(resized).JPG

IMG_0143_(resized).JPG

IMG_0125_(resized).JPG

#923 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If that picture is real (people have claimed to have seen the game in person, yet apparently no one has ever thought to get their phone out and take a bunch of close up pictures), it's most likely that the playfield got soaked at some point.
Note, that the clearcoat, nor the ink has worn off the inserts (which is normally the first place a playfield wears).
The only playfield I've ever seen with a similar wear pattern was a TAF that the owner did not have the glass for. It got soaked with alcohol and he continued to play it for a month. The playfield paint wore off while the inserts remained printed. I replaced it with a repo playfield from Gene, and of course brought him a sheet of glass....

Here's the two I took....

IMG_5444_(resized).jpg

IMG_5445_(resized).jpg

#924 3 years ago
Quoted from Jigs:

Yet there is no ghosting... so it's A-OK!! Now this machine is in SC? Where was it floating?

#925 3 years ago

We had a similar Star Trek Pro lose most of the ink. They (Stern) replaced the playfield, but the local guys had to change it out themselves. Brutal!

#926 3 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

We had a similar Star Trek Pro lose most of the ink. They (Stern) replaced the playfield, but the local guys had to change it out themselves. Brutal!

Personally Id much rather do the swap myself if it came to that, how many months would you be waiting once you sent it out? Could be 3 month minimum from the few threads we've seen.

One could have that swap done within a weekend easy even if you aren't overly familiar with doing swaps. A more experienced person could probably do it in ~7-10~ hours no prob.

#927 3 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Yet there is no ghosting... so it's A-OK!! Now this machine is in SC? Where was it floating?

the machine was in Islands of Adventure Orlando last September

#928 3 years ago
Quoted from Jigs:

the machine was in Islands of Adventure Orlando last September

This is one of the main reasons why, in my 25 years of collecting, I have refused to buy a machine from Florida.

#929 3 years ago

Say what you with about Ron Kruzman, his works the best, if he had a team to work with, a reasonable allowance I'm sure he could pull it off. But that will never happen, it's all about Money & that's it
Cheaper plywood, photo shopped artwork, paper thin clear coats, cheap inserts .I bet the next Stern game will weigh in at 150lbs before long,

#930 3 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Personally Id much rather do the swap myself if it came to that, how many months would you be waiting once you sent it out? Could be 3 month minimum from the few threads we've seen.

It took Stern 4 or 5 weeks to do my MET Premium playfield swap. That is from the time they received it to when it was shipped out. That was the warped playfield I had.

Rob

#931 3 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Say what you with about Ron Kruzman, his works the best, if he had a team to work with, a reasonable allowance I'm sure he could pull it off. But that will never happen, it's all about Money & that's it
Cheaper plywood, photo shopped artwork, paper thin clear coats, cheap inserts .I bet the next Stern game will weigh in at 150lbs before long,

I WISH they could get them down to 150 lbs as I'm not getting any younger. That's one reduction I could get behind...

#932 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

It took Stern 4 or 5 weeks to do my MET Premium playfield swap. That is from the time they received it to when it was shipped out. That was the warped playfield I had.
Rob

That's not too bad, thought yours took longer from memory.

I'll stand behind my thought of send me a minty PF, invite a buddy over for beers and quick swap work, fun stuff.

#933 3 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

They do a terrible job advertising when they are running new play fields and then when you find out, their sold out...
Take a note from the the color DMD guys. I see posts on pinside and get an email.

Advertising something that is produced in limited runs and sells out easily by itself would be wasted effort & time.

ColorDMDs are not limited, they try to sell as much as possible, thus the mails & posts.

Advertising helps the producer sell more, it's not a "service for customers".

#934 3 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

That's not too bad, thought yours took longer from memory.

It did take 5 months for everything to be resolved. Over 3 months was just trying to get Stern to do something.

Rob

#935 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I still believe you're trolling.

Dude. Did you really just accuse Vid of trolling? I hope that wins some kind of Pinside trophy/achievement for most asinine post YTD.

#936 3 years ago

Maybe we can get this topic back on track.
The OP isn't the only one with an issue. My SMVE has some ghosting as well. It's not as bad as the OPs imo, but it still kinda sucks.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#937 3 years ago

Did you contact Stern?

#938 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Did you contact Stern?

My distro is aware of the issue. They contacted stern for me and received a generic response. Essentially, they said they're looking into the problem.

#939 3 years ago

" We have top men working on it right now "

#940 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpeg

#941 3 years ago

Shouldn't stern just shug along and then replace playfield a with ghosting issues? If vid said it was $200. Wouldn't it be smarter to take the hit and keep games flying off the line ? Just asking...

#942 3 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Shouldn't stern just shug along and then replace playfield a with ghosting issues? If vid said it was $200. Wouldn't it be smarter to take the hit and keep games flying off the line ? Just asking...

They might... Im sure they'll make a decision soon.
I'm guessing they're trying to figure out how big of an issue it is before they do anything

#943 3 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

It's pretty rare that Stern acknowledges a problem.

#944 3 years ago

my smve after 17 plays.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#945 3 years ago

Man, this is getting ugly. It's disheartening to see, and I hope everybody gets proper resolution. Are those ghosted inserts noticeable during play?

#946 3 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Man, this is getting ugly. It's disheartening to see, and I hope everybody gets proper resolution. Are those ghosted inserts noticeable during play?

Nope. Only when the lights are off and really looking for it.

#947 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Nope. Only when the lights are off and really looking for it.

If that's the case, screw it, ship my GB LE. I ain't afraid of no ghost(ing).

Seriously though, I'd prefer not to have the ghosted inserts.

#948 3 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Are those ghosted inserts noticeable during play?

Edit: I went back and played a game and it's really isn't that noticeable during gameplay

#949 3 years ago
Quoted from Jigs:

Story behind this?

#950 3 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Story behind this?

He probably had a camera handy and took some pics.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 159.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Great American Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Mc Cutchenvle, OH
There are 6558 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 132.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside