Topic Stats

• 6,575 posts
  • 600 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by capguntrooper
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 656 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_8151.JPG
IMG_1493.JPG
storage (resized).jpg
IMG_3408 (resized).JPG
IMG_3405 (resized).JPG
IMG_3404 (resized).JPG
IMG_3403 (resized).JPG
20170821_125227 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg

There are 6558 posts in this topic. You are on page 131 of 132.
#6501 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

I think that first stamp is actually 2015
You hit the nail on the head though, no one knows how they are managing all these issues and how much care is being put into them except Stern themselves, all we know is its starting to feel like Stern don't care.

Quoted from Crash:

Yes it is in fact 2015. Wow, freaking incredible! Selling first-run rejected playfields from 2 years ago and passing them off as new just because Stern thinks they're all of a sudden good enough! Someone needs to start a class action against this company.

I can see why you would think that from the picture, but on very close inspection, it is definitely 2016. This makes sense since GB was not produced in 2015.

To completely fair, the PF looks great. The colors are spectacular, the clear is nice and shiny, and no hint of ghosting. Only PF issue so far is minor chipping in the ball launch lane. What is interesting is that in direct light, I can see what I think are clear coat brush stokes. This leads me believe that mine was an originally bad run PF that they stripped the clear off, and manually reapplied it. Look specifically at the reflection of overhead lights (and ignore the craters )

20170821_125227 (resized).jpg

Now, with all that said, I did have a handful of relatively small issues that should never have passed through QC including; PF front hooks that did not match the slots. The PF would not fully seat in the down position without pulling on the front of the cabinet and pushing on the PF (I ended up bending the hooks per Stern's recommendation). One of the lock bar latches was not mounted in the correct spot, I had to redrill and mount it about 1/2" lower.

The conclusion I have come to for myself is that I simply do not trust Stern's QC at all and accept that buying NIB is a roll of the dice. If there is a complete failure, I feel pretty confident that it will be handled (have positive experience with failed Node boards and Ecto goggles). But everything else will likely be an annoyance that I will have to be ok living with or fixing myself. I don't think there are many cases where the risk is worth it anymore. My next planned Stern purchased was switched to MMR.

#6502 1 year ago
Quoted from RobF:

I can see why you would think that from the picture, but on very close inspection, it is definitely 2016. This makes sense since GB was not produced in 2015.

Well that does make sense, being totally honest I thought it was a Kiss playfield

Although there is saying when Stern had the GB playfields made, maybe they are sending out prototypes? Does your new playfield have the correct spelling on the Negative Reinforcement insert?

#6503 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Well that does make sense, being totally honest I thought it was a Kiss playfield
Although there is saying when Stern had the GB playfields made, maybe they are sending out prototypes? Does your new playfield have the correct spelling on the Negative Reinforcement insert?

Damnit, pay attention man! This shit is important!
Insert spelling is correct.

#6504 1 year ago
Quoted from RobF:

Damnit, pay attention man! This shit is important!
Insert spelling is correct.

I didn't see you mention about the insert spelling, but to be fair it is 1am here and I have been up for approx 46 hours and counting so forgive me I missed it

Something I didn't miss was how good those colours look on GB, its a playfield I want at some point for wall art, the thing is gorgeous.

2 weeks later
#6505 1 year ago

Just happened upon this thread. I bought a NIB Met Pro today. I didn't read every single page of this thread but from what I HAVE read, I may be destined for disappointment when this thing arrives?? My excitement just got flushed down the shitter If I have all that I have seen here in store for me.

#6506 1 year ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Just happened upon this thread. I bought a NIB Met Pro today. I didn't read every single page of this thread but from what I HAVE read, I may be destined for disappointment when this thing arrives?? My excitement just got flushed down the shitter If I have all that I have seen here in store for me.

First, Don't Panic. Metallica is an awesome pin with no significant issues. You'll probably be just fine.

#6507 1 year ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Please don't worry about it. You will love your pin and it will be fine.

#6508 1 year ago

Ok, it took a year plus but then there was a new in box populated play field. Fresh out the box, no ghosting, all necessary upgrades on it. I put a play field protector on it and plays great. Just some minor tweaks like the subway ramp not registering the shot, easy fix just bend the switch at the top a bit. Same for the right ramp on the field. So on GBLE they did make it right to me. You just have to wait....

#6509 1 year ago

Someone should write a coffee table book about Stern ripping off it's customers with deceitful & fraudulent practices.

#6510 1 year ago
Quoted from TheHueManatee:

Someone should write a coffee table book about Stern ripping off it's customers with deceitful & fraudulent practices.

LMFAO, since they stole $50k with Paperflock on kickstarter for the anniversary book, this seems like a good sequel inside TELL ALL book. In fact, I bet we all know a Stern pinball designer that is probably needing to raise legal funds that knows all the inside dirt and would be happy to spill it.

#6511 1 year ago
Quoted from sohchx:

I wish you the best of luck. I hope you bought from a reputable dealer, on credit card, just in case. Any problems, just return it. Don't waste a year of your life dealing with Stern.

#6512 1 year ago
Quoted from sohchx:

For me I would have my distributor unpack it for me and see the play field and cabinet first. Maybe even have him test the game first if all is working correctly. You will miss the NIB experience of getting the box in your home but will prevent some disappointments.
What I have seen on play fields is that not each play field is equal. Some MET field have a bright popping red, while others have a more dull look. Same with TWD some have a more brown blood spatters while others are more red. I have seen this also on Mustang and Star Trek. I did not see it on GB and GoT. Newer machines I do not know. I would also check the cabinet, see if it is correct. Also do all tests in the system, coil test, flasher test, sound test, my cabinet speaker wasn't working, took me almost a year to get another spike board to resolve the issue.

So again, if it is possible, have your distributor setup the machine, test it, check it, maybe even add the necessary protectors before first play, then play it first, let him explain the rules. After that you decide.

These machines are becoming to expensive to just buy out of the box. And distributors can add service and value other than just sending you a box.

#6513 1 year ago

...I even bought a NIB ACDC vault from my distributor. Yet I made a deal and have a 3 months 100% return policy in case of any issues. Enjoy Metallica!

#6514 1 year ago
Quoted from tacshose:

I wish you the best of luck. I hope you bought from a reputable dealer, on credit card, just in case. Any problems, just return it. Don't waste a year of your life dealing with Stern.

Oh I've had my fill of dealing with Stern in the past. Took them almost 5 months to decide to replace one of my MPU's, even after telling me by phone that they couldn't repair it 2 weeks after they received it from me. They knew that they couldn't repair it in house, only diagnose it. So why make me wait instead of just sending me a new replacement? Which eventually they did.

#6515 1 year ago

So can you guys educate me on this playfield manufacture date thing I keep seeing. I guess I am asking, between when and when did these questionable fields get produced? And, is there a time frame that existed where the quality was good without issue? I plan to check the date as soon as I open the box and I just want to know if I'm safe in terms of whatever the date is on my field.

#6516 1 year ago
Quoted from mayuh:

...I even bought a NIB ACDC vault from my distributor. Yet I made a deal and have a 3 months 100% return policy in case of any issues. Enjoy Metallica!

That's a very good deal and removes any of the worry. Who is your distro?

#6517 1 year ago
Quoted from sohchx:

So can you guys educate me on this playfield manufacture date thing I keep seeing. I guess I am asking, between when and when did these questionable fields get produced? And, is there a time frame that existed where the quality was good without issue? I plan to check the date as soon as I open the box and I just want to know if I'm safe in terms of whatever the date is on my field.

The issues really started in early to mid 2016. However they still continue today so I wouldn't look too much into the date. The good news for you is Metallica doesn't seem to be heavily impacted. Issues tend to be higher on certain games.

#6518 1 year ago
Quoted from NPO:

Sad part is when/if Star Wars gets made, everyone is going to forget about this and the Premium will be $7500+, and dedicated fanboys/people who put emotion ahead of logic will continue to buy. I'd be willing to believe some people right here in this very thread lamenting and bemoaning Stern will continue to buy.
Stop buying their product, and Stern will have to pay attention. I sold off all my Sterns and am now in the B/W class of 1992-1995 pins. The B/W games I have with 21 years minimum worth of age look better.

HERE HERE!
I have held back ALL Stern purchases! I refuse to let emotion get the best of me. Look at the MMR remake and now Attack from Mars, give other company's a chance to gain a chunk of the market and offer some healthy competition, the three versions have noticeable upgrades. Chicago Gaming is putting quality products out there---they also used to make things for Stern but not anymore. Keep your money in your pocket!!

#6519 1 year ago
Quoted from JoeyItaliano:

HERE HERE!
I have held back ALL Stern purchases! I refuse to let emotion get the best of me. Look at the MMR remake and now Attack from Mars, give other company's a chance to gain a chunk of the market and offer some healthy competition, the three versions have noticeable upgrades. Chicago Gaming is putting quality products out there---they also used to make things for Stern but not anymore. Keep your money in your pocket!!

Stern made MMr...

#6520 1 year ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Stern made MMr...

True they did make the first run but Planetary Pinball was not happy with the time it took them to make it so they asked Chicago Gaming to take over, At that point Stern responded by terminating there agreement with Chicago and all these problems are the result.

#6521 1 year ago

True they did make the first run but Planetary Pinball was not happy with the time it took them to make it so they asked Chicago Gaming to take over, At that point Stern responded by terminating there agreement with Chicago and all these problems are the result.

If this is true it explains a lot. Gawy shot his greedy ass self in the foot.

#6522 1 year ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Stern made MMr...

I though they only assembled MMr, no Stern parts?

#6523 1 year ago

Also true for the guts of the machine the cabinets however were manufactured by Chicago

#6524 1 year ago

Is this documented somewhere?

CGC was the licensee for both MMR and ATMR from day one, so they weren't "brought in" by PPS. Technically CGC hired Stern to do the MMR assembly (using CGC-provided parts) once it became clear that CGC couldn't get its production line up and running in time to do MMR. As I understood it CGC's trouble getting parts to Stern on time was at least partially responsible for the delays in getting MMRs out, though some might have been on Stern's end as well.

All of this was confusing because Rick was the public spokesman for the MMR project, which made the roles unclear. Seems CGC figured out with ATMR that communicating directly is the way to go. And by all accounts CGC's build quality is very good.

But are you saying that CGC no longer makes playfields and cabinets for Stern as a result of the MMR experience? Haven't seen that anywhere else. I thought the story was that Stern moved those elements in-house as part of its move to the new, large production facility?

#6525 1 year ago
Quoted from tacshose:

LMFAO, since they stole $50k with Paperflock on kickstarter for the anniversary book, this seems like a good sequel inside TELL ALL book. In fact, I bet we all know a Stern pinball designer that is probably needing to raise legal funds that knows all the inside dirt and would be happy to spill it.

Is that confirmed dead? I hadn't heard anything about it recently.

#6526 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Is this documented somewhere?
CGC was the licensee for both MMR and ATMR from day one, so they weren't "brought in" by PPS. Technically CGC hired Stern to do the MMR assembly (using CGC-provided parts) once it became clear that CGC couldn't get its production line up and running in time to do MMR. As I understood it CGC's trouble getting parts to Stern on time was at least partially responsible for the delays in getting MMRs out, though some might have been on Stern's end as well.
All of this was confusing because Rick was the public spokesman for the MMR project, which made the roles unclear. Seems CGC figured out with ATMR that communicating directly is the way to go. And by all accounts CGC's build quality is very good.
But are you saying that CGC no longer makes playfields and cabinets for Stern as a result of the MMR experience? Haven't seen that anywhere else. I thought the story was that Stern moved those elements in-house as part of its move to the new, large production facility?

That would explain the quality issues at Stern lately

#6527 1 year ago

That would explain the quality issues at Stern lately

What would? The new facility? Or rumored shift to in-house production of playfields and cabinets (to be clear, I don't know that to be true just saw it repeated here as a rumor/theory)?

#6529 1 year ago

I know CGC is planning to do future MMR runs in-house, but have they actually made any yet? Will be interesting to see what the differences are.

#6530 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I know CGC is planning to do future MMR runs in-house, but have they actually made any yet? Will be interesting to see what the differences are.

Rolling off the line as we speak, go check out the CGC update thread for details

#6531 1 year ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

The issues really started in early to mid 2016. However they still continue today so I wouldn't look too much into the date. The good news for you is Metallica doesn't seem to be heavily impacted. Issues tend to be higher on certain games.

Thanks for the info!! Got my MET Pro today and it's gorgeous with no issues. Haven't had a chance to play it yet due to me immediately throwing every protector and Cliffy available onto it. All of my fears that I had pre delivery are far gone now. I was surprised of the manufacture date being so recent also, June 14 2017

#6532 1 year ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Thanks for the info!! Got my MET Pro today and it's gorgeous with no issues. Haven't had a chance to play it yet due to me immediately throwing every protector and Cliffy available onto it. All of my fears that I had pre delivery are far gone now. I was surprised of the manufacture date being so recent also, June 14 2017

What is the PF date? Post a pic

#6533 1 year ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Unfortunately if something is gonna happen it will be after u put 50-150 plays on it. Most are ok out of the box

#6534 1 year ago
Quoted from sohchx:

On another note if /when u sell cc let me know......

#6535 1 year ago

...just to give you an update (and maybe to justify my decision): AC/DC VE after 4 weeks and 400+ games - no sign of ghosting.

Gotta check playfield date...

1 week later
#6536 1 year ago

...and my new SM VE playfield arrived.

Some minor problems to solve though like one light doesn't work - bulb is ok, just no current at the socket, magnet needs a slight height adjustment, one shrink tubing wasn't shrinked and of course the obvious venom ramp flap is bend up...

Other than that playfield is quite nice. My spider senses tell me the clear coating is thinner than on the original but I could be wrong... let's see...

IMG_3403 (resized).JPG

IMG_3404 (resized).JPG

IMG_3405 (resized).JPG

IMG_3408 (resized).JPG

#6537 1 year ago
Quoted from mayuh:

...and my new SM VE playfield arrived.
Some minor problems to solve though like one light doesn't work - bulb is ok, just no current at the socket, magnet needs a slight height adjustment, one shrink tubing wasn't shrinked and of course the obvious venom ramp flap is bend up...
Other than that playfield is quite nice. My spider senses tell me the clear coating is thinner than on the original but I could be wrong... let's see...

Glad to see it has finally been resolved...
15 months later

#6538 1 year ago

And I finally got my GBLE playfield yesterday! It only took them 13 months to resolve mine.

Here's what a bit shady...this whole time they've been "waiting" for playfields to be done and then we received an email last week saying the next batch was being finished as we speak and they were mailing them out right away. But the playfield I received yesterday (which again is supposedly brand new) was signed by JT. Given the recent news about JT, I'm a little confused as to how this playfield is "new". It was also pretty dusty but I'm not sure if that was dust from it sitting for a while or dust from being in a factory.

I looked at the playfields side by side (I wish I would have taken a picture for you guys) and the difference is astounding. The colors are WAY more vibrant on my new playfield.

I got her installed last night and there weren't any issues. Even Slimer works properly this time. I was one of the first to get an LE last year and I had to mod my Slimer so he didn't drag all that metal plate above the GHOST newton ball.

I do see what could be ghosting on one of the inserts though so I'll have to keep an eye on that. I hope I don't have to go through this process a second time. This first time was already enough for me to never want to buy a NIB Stern again.

#6539 1 year ago
Quoted from AtTheArcade:

But the playfield I received yesterday (which again is supposedly brand new) was signed by JT. Given the recent news about JT, I'm a little confused as to how this playfield is "new".

signatures are usually written on layer 1 of clear coat, and then covered again with a second coat of clear, so the process of building this playfield could have started a while back, and only finished recently. "waiting to be done" doesn't necessarily mean built from scratch yesterday, could be a months long process.

Good luck with the new playfield.

#6540 1 year ago
Quoted from AtTheArcade:

...I do see what could be ghosting on one of the inserts ...

!?

a pic may be, tanx

#6541 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

signatures are usually written on layer 1 of clear coat, and then covered again with a second coat of clear, so the process of building this playfield could have started a while back, and only finished recently. "waiting to be done" doesn't necessarily mean built from scratch yesterday, could be a months long process.
Good luck with the new playfield.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that!

#6542 1 year ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

!?
a pic may be, tanx

Just a quick picture I took with the glass on but you can see a little something going on to the left of the "g" in storage facility. Hopefully that's not ghosting.

storage (resized).jpg

#6543 1 year ago
Quoted from AtTheArcade:

Hopefully that's not ghosting.

looks like it from here

#6544 1 year ago
Quoted from AtTheArcade:

Just a quick picture I took with the glass on but you can see a little something going on to the left of the "g" in storage facility. Hopefully that's not ghosting.

Sure looks like it, take a close up with glass off and send to your distro to start process again.

#6545 1 year ago
Quoted from AtTheArcade:

Yup, that's ghosting. I have a slightly smaller sliver on the same insert on the opposite side that has been there for a while and has not grown on my replacement playfield since i first found it a couple months ago, but is only noticeable if I get right down close and look for it. i only noticed it when i took the glass off and cleaned up the playfield for a quick waxing. If it doesn't grow any more than that, I'd be happy. If it gets bigger and starts cracking and flaking away the clear, then you should let Stern know. I don't think they'd do too much about it right now, but it probably would hurt to let Stern/your dealer know, just so it's on file.

#6546 1 year ago

Here's my sliver of ghosting, just for reference. This is about 8 months since I got it replaced and maybe 600 games. Ghosting is between the O and R on the right hand side. Again, if it doesn't get worse than that, I'll be a happy pinballer. I have no other issues with the game. My playfield doesn't have a clear date stamped on it either, but it is a replacement, and also I found it was very dusty when I got it... but just crud from manufacturing.. like plastic dust from Ramps being cut or drilled or something. Was easy to vacuum out.

IMG_1493.JPG

#6547 1 year ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

Here's my sliver of ghosting, just for reference. This is about 8 months since I got it replaced and maybe 600 games. Ghosting is between the O and R on the right hand side. Again, if it doesn't get worse than that, I'll be a happy pinballer. I have no other issues with the game. My playfield doesn't have a clear date stamped on it either, but it is a replacement, and also I found it was very dusty when I got it... but just crud from manufacturing.. like plastic dust from Ramps being cut or drilled or something. Was easy to vacuum out.

Now THAT I can barely see. I'd be damn happy to get that from Stern during these current conditions. Probably never get any worse either. My CV was ghosted right out of the box and never changed an iota. Of course it was pretty obvious right from the get go but no cracking, chipping, etc in the last 20 years or so.

#6548 1 year ago

Here is my original playfield from March 2016 and the ghosting that formed within a week of receiving the game. You can see the sharp ridges of the clear breaking away. The insert was also slightly sunken in on that side.

IMG_8151.JPG

#6549 1 year ago

I just yesterday took a hard look at my GOT and there is a small amount of ghosting on the PLayfield X small inserts.

Bought June 6th 2016

#6550 1 year ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

Here is my original playfield from March 2016 and the ghosting that formed within a week of receiving the game. You can see the sharp ridges of the clear breaking away. The insert was also slightly sunken in on that side.

Yeah I didn't mean imply anyone had been overreacting during this entire PF fiasco. I'm glad Stern did *finally* do something for their customers.

CV was a different era and Churchill had dropped the ball on virtually all of the CV PF's... plus I got it on closeout so I was still reasonably happy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.50
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Meridian Charter Township, MI
€ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blacklick, OH
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Sale Pending!
Milwaukee, WI
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6558 posts in this topic. You are on page 131 of 132.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside