Screenshot_20170821-154508 (resized).jpg
20170613_213020 (resized).jpg
20170613_213015 (resized).jpg
IMG_6111 (resized).JPG
IMAG8309 (resized).jpg
IMAG8310 (resized).jpg
IMAG8311 (resized).jpg
IMAG8312 (resized).jpg
There are 6,561 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 132.
#551 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Oh lol , this is what 10 year olds do real classy.

Oh, how I wish I was 10 again!

#552 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Currency exchange does change that fast. It changed 30% over the past year alone. Hardly Stern's fault.
You have to stick with US pricing if you want to complain about Stern's price increases, to keep it apples to apples.

I always forget the damn exchange rate...it's like a traumatic event that your brain tries to protect itself from and makes you forget.

#553 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Oh, how I wish I was 10 again!

Then you would just be playing these at the local arcade or bowling alley and wouldn't give a shit about the inserts as long as it spits a ball out and all the flippers work.

#554 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Then you would just be playing these at the local arcade or bowling alley and wouldn't give a shit about the inserts as long as it spits a ball out and all the flippers work.

That's absolutely true!

#555 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

That thing is cherry

Thanks
I just gave it a clean yesterday and is now set up for our NZ National comp which is this weekend...

And a shooter lane pic.. CC is still hanging in there

20160616_061604_(resized).jpg20160616_061604_(resized).jpg

20160616_063222_(resized).jpg20160616_063222_(resized).jpg

#556 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Don't you agree that the absence of any real information will remain until Stern itself decides to release a statement about it?

Well, yes. Only Stern knows for sure how many reports they have gotten, so they are the only ones with real information. Not sure what you are asking.

Quoted from Pinballlew:

Even if it is just one bad batch (if that is the case) these playfields should not be used. If Stern offered these ghosting playfields for sale to you and knowing that they have ghosting would you purchase or want one to install in a game? The real information is they are being shipped with ghosting inserts from the factory which is not acceptable IMO.

I don't see how that is the "real information". According to several people who posted in this thread, the ghosting only showed up after days/weeks. I don't see any Stern employees posting in here saying "we deliberately shipped playfields with ghosted inserts", although I could've missed it.

#557 7 years ago

I doubt Stern will say theres a playfield quality issue as they probably don't want people to cancel their orders.

#558 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Stern pays $200 per playfield to CCC in quantity 1000

Stern! pay $210 and get a better Clear Coat!

Could CCC be a bit pissed off that a new company is going to do playfields and now are doing a sub par job?

#559 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Great we get to play the play-field lottery with all new stern titles cant wait to see what i get for my 8k GBLE

Did someone say "GB Lottery" ?

GB_Lottery_(resized).JPGGB_Lottery_(resized).JPG

#560 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Stern! pay $210 and get a better Clear Coat!
Could CCC be a bit pissed off that a new company is going to do playfields and now are doing a sub par job?

No. I think they were fired for doing subpar playfields.

#561 7 years ago
Quoted from c508:

Did someone say "GB Lottery" ?

Looks like from the silhouettes, this is based on the chick version.

No thanks, I'll pass.

#562 7 years ago

It has the '59 Miller-Meteor Eldorado ECTO-1 and not that POS 1985 Seville or whatever the hell the new one is, so that's the original movie.

#563 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

No.

CCC is delighted that Stern is trying another company. "Stern will be begging for us to take them back when they see how terrible other playfield manufacturers are."

#564 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No.
CCC is delighted that Stern is trying another company. "Stern will be begging for us to take them back when they see how terrible other playfield manufacturers are."

Vid - what game did the new manufacturer start with?

#565 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Vid - what game did the new manufacturer start with?

No one knows.

They have not shipped any yet.

#566 7 years ago

No, I don't think they ship it with ghosting. But the NIB GOT pro my distributor gave to my friend as an exchange, had ghosting right of the box. It came in the same container but wasn't unpacked until this very day.

It's like Schrödinger's cat I let you decide.

My distributor couldn't trust his eyes either.

#567 7 years ago

I think the usual reasons for bringing a process like playfield manufacturing in house would be to control the supply, the quality or to save money, hopefully all three.

The problems with the current playfields may or may not have anything to do with their move away from CGC.

CGC has been making playfields forever. Still, stuff happens in manufacturing and I expect they'll figure out what's causing the ghosting.

I would be surprised if Stern doesn't run into its own set of problems when they stop using CGC.

#568 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Well, yes. Only Stern knows for sure how many reports they have gotten, so they are the only ones with real information. Not sure what you are asking.

I don't see how that is the "real information". According to several people who posted in this thread, the ghosting only showed up after days/weeks. I don't see any Stern employees posting in here saying "we deliberately shipped playfields with ghosted inserts", although I could've missed it.

True maybe I have mispoke about the ghosting being on the machine when it leaves the factory. But posts of pictures of NIB machines being open with ghosting before a ball has been played have been posted.

#569 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

And a shooter lane pic.. CC is still hanging in there

You see, this perfectly illustrates the issue:

Picture of the kind of gradual, graceful clearcoat/playfield wear you would expect a pinball machine to exhibit after thousands of plays:
ec45157fe90b80ead5948a251744e66a084754c4_(resized).jpgec45157fe90b80ead5948a251744e66a084754c4_(resized).jpg

Picture of Stern's crap-tastic chippy playfield clearcoat after a few dozen plays:
sternshooterlane_(resized).jpgsternshooterlane_(resized).jpg
That clear will chip off completely in no time if not covered with mylar immediately.

And it's happening on every non-flat surface on the table, drain hole, MET Mystery hole, etc.

Does anyone really still think there's not an issue here??

#570 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Picture of the kind of gradual, graceful clearcoat/playfield wear you would expect a pinball machine to exhibit after thousands of plays:

Picture of Stern's crap-tastic chippy playfield clearcoat after a few dozen plays:

That clear will chip off completely in no time if not covered with mylar immediately.
And it's happening on every non-flat surface on the table, drain hole, MET Mystery hole, etc.

Scoops and Shooter lanes have always worn pretty quickly on Sterns, thats why a lot of us use mylar/Cliffy protectors before play 1.

Sand off the chipping clear and brush something over it, good to go.....

#571 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I don't think anyone said there isn't an issue. Some said "accept it and play" and others want a new game and replacement storm windows on their house. I'm guessing the real solution is somewhere in between....but for the record, I think everyone agrees there is an issue....any guess at the cause is just that, a guess.

#572 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No one knows.
They have not shipped any yet.

Interesting. So are the playfields having these issues right now, the ones in games recently shipped, made by CCC, in house by Stern or another manufacturer?

Thanks!

#573 7 years ago

No one should pay the kind of money they do for a new in box and receive a sub par game like this.

#574 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Interesting. So are the playfields having these issues right now, the ones in games recently shipped, made by CCC, in house by Stern or another manufacturer?
Thanks!

They are still using the same CCC playfields that have been made for 80 years.

#575 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They are still using the same CCC playfields that have been made for 80 years.

Has quality at CCC dropped and Stern is now looking elsewhere?

#576 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

No, same quality as always.

No company on earth has ever made more pinball playfields than CCC, they claim.

#577 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

One could be left to wonder if stern changed the specs of how they wanted their play fields built. Out of what wood type and clear coating process. Perhaps this is the net result of trying to reduce the $200 cost.

I have yet to run across a mirco or cpr with ghosting. Chipping yes, ghosting no.

#578 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

One could be left to wonder if stern changed the specs of how they wanted their play fields built. Out of what wood type and clear coating process. Perhaps this is the net result of trying to reduce the $200 cost.

Same Maple on every playfield.

A few German made playfields were softer Birch wood.

-

Quoted from Skins:

I have yet to run across a mirco or cpr with ghosting. Chipping yes, ghosting no.

Plenty of "problems" with every brand playfield.

Playfields are like diamonds. Every one has flaws.

#579 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

-

Plenty of "problems" with every brand playfield.
Playfields are like diamonds. Every one has flaws.

But we're only talking about ghosting in this thread. What is mirco and cpr doing differently to avoid ghosting.

#580 7 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Agreed if they all had ghosting. But they don't. Only a tool would pay the same price for a not so nice machine as they would for a one with ghosting....

Just like all those jackasses I see in brand new corvettes with orange peel. Don't worry. There are plenty of tools around to buy your machine at full price. Why do you think finding "the greater fool" means?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory

#581 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Did you miss where the last 50 to 100 MMR customers got factory second PF's with light grey ink on the bottom castle inserts? Yeah I'd say Churchill is having some issues overall. I don't care how many years they have been making them.

#582 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Yeah I'd say Churchill is having some issues overall. I don't care how many years they have been making them.

If this is their handiwork, they are a complete mess.

#583 7 years ago

We've established a pattern of recent Stern playfields that have insert ghosting right out of the box, and rapidly worsening over time.
We've also seen that the quality of their clearcoat is poor, resulting in premature chipping and failure of the clearcoat in areas subject to the most aggressive contact with the ball.

I don't care if it's CCCs problem or someone else's, I want Stern to stand behind their products.

Specifically, IMHO they need to:

a) Acknowledge that these issues are not satisfactory and not within acceptable product specs.

b) Take care of recent customers who have machines that are suffering from these issues by sending out fully-populated replacement playfields, unpopulated playfields, or even replacing/returning entire machines, as required.

c) Take real corrective action to improve their products to avoid these issues leaving the factory in the future.

Buyers need to have confidence that their investment in a NIB Stern pinball won't arrive from the factory with these issues, and that if they do arrive faulty, that Stern will stand behind their machines. I, for one, won't buy another NIB Stern until I see a long-term trend of improvement. Even then, fool me once...

#584 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

But we're only talking about ghosting in this thread. What is mirco and cpr doing differently to avoid ghosting.

You see it on playfields, even before they are installed.

If you are going to have playfields with real clearcoat, you are going to have some ghosting.

lifting_(resized).jpglifting_(resized).jpg

#585 7 years ago

The easiest way to eliminate having this issue in the future, and not have so much to complain about would be to learn now, and stop buying NIB machines.

If another thread like this pops up in two months, the buyer of the machine has nobody to blame but himself.

#586 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

We've established a pattern of recent Stern playfields that have insert ghosting right out of the box, and rapidly worsening over time.
We've also seen that the quality of their clearcoat is poor, resulting in premature chipping and failure of the clearcoat in areas subject to the most aggressive contact with the ball.
I don't care if it's CCCs problem or someone else's, I want Stern to stand behind their products.
Specifically, IMHO they need to:
a) Acknowledge that these issues are not satistfacory and not within acceptable product specs.
b) Take care recent customers who have machines that are suffering from these issues by sending out fully-populated replacement playfields, unpopulated playfields, or even replacing/returning entire machines, as required.
c) Take real corrective action to improve their products to avoid these issues leaving the factory in the future.
Buyers need to have confidence that their investment in a NIB Stern pinball won't arrive from the factory with these issues, and that if they do arrive faulty that Stern will stand behind their machines.

Completely agree , but they won't say anything. Hopefully they get it under control, but they won't admit it.

#587 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you are going to have playfields with real clearcoat, you are going to have some ghosting.

Vid I agree with you but this is more than " some ghosting"

#588 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

...and then you put those playfields aside and do not ship them to customers.

And if the number of playfields that must be rejected becomes too expensive, you invest in new techniques, materials, or processes to reduce the root causes for the rejects in the first place. It's called "innovation", and it's how companies stay in business.

#589 7 years ago

Does Stern do the clearing in house?

#590 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Does Stern do the clearing in house?

I think they send them out to the publishers clearing house.

#591 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm guessing that's a reproduction playfield. I have never seen this happen in person on any brand of game until now.

#592 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Vid I agree with you but this is more than " some ghosting"

I see it on almost every playfield made after 1988 that I work on.

It's harder to see on the cloudy Diamondplate ones, but it's there.

NOS, Reproductions or 25 years old players, it's there.

-

The warranty says Stern does not cover the playfield.

So, if ghosting interferes with your enjoyment of a game, honestly, quit buying them (or add a cloudy clearcoat to the game).

You probably have noticed that no "big name" playfield restorers have chimed in that they know of a way to clearcoat playfields and never have ghosting or crazing. Because no one knows of any.

If CCC, who has manufactured millions of playfields, does not know how to prevent it, then it is unlikely that any smaller manufacturer does either.

-

I'm not joking - if ghosting truly bothers you, stop buying new games.

There are 5,981 pinball machine titles that were manufactured before clearcoating - all of which will be free of ghosting.

#593 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I'm guessing that's a reproduction playfield. I have never seen this happen in person on any brand of game until now.

The original game from 1984 did not have a clearcoat, so no ghosting.

#594 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think they send them out to the publishers clearing house.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner for post of the day.

#595 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm not joking - if ghosting truly bothers you, stop buying new games.

Or if anything bothers you.

This sight has turned into complaintside. If the clear coat doesn't bother you, I'm sure you will find something else that does.

Does anybody buy these just to play anymore?

#596 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Currency exchange does change that fast. It changed 30% over the past year alone. Hardly Stern's fault.
You have to stick with US pricing if you want to complain about Stern's price increases, to keep it apples to apples.

Don't forget that MAP probably raised prices too.

Rob

#597 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Or if anything bothers you.
This sight has turned into complaintside. If the clear coat doesn't bother you, I'm sure you will find something else that does.
Does anybody buy these just to play anymore?

O-din are you kidding, don't you remember hurt posting about getting ripped on the MET? Now imagine the price you paid with a chipping clearcoat...come on man.

#598 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

O-din are you kidding, don't you remember hurt posting about getting ripped on the MET? Now imagine the price you paid with a chipping clearcoat...come one man.

I got ripped on Met and learned my lesson. Fast. But I took my loss in the shorts and liked it!

#599 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I see it on almost every playfield made after 1988 that I work on.
It's harder to see on the cloudy Diamondplate ones, but it's there.
NOS, Reproductions or 25 years old players, it's there.

I took a very close look at the four games in my game room with clear coat (TZ, CC, LOTR and RFM). Out of the four I saw very minor ghosting on a couple inserts on only one machine, RFM.

I can believe that you've seen ghosting on games from every manufacturer and era with clear coat.

I find it hard to believe that almost every playfield exhibits this issue. Perhaps it's just the ones sent to you for repair have a higher incidence of this.

I don't think I would buy a game if the inserts looked like the one below. Wouldn't the area where the clear is separating from the insert be more prone to damage?

ghosting_(resized).jpgghosting_(resized).jpg

#600 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The quality is not near the same that it has been. My RCT clear in the shooter lane has never chipped like that and the outhole is perfect. I don't see one insert that exhibits any ghosting either.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,561 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 132.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.