(Topic ID: 65838)

Hey Pinside, we've got a new server and a new look!

By robin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 380 posts
  • 171 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by horseflesh
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

temp.png
Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 00.02.22 am.png
blank_image_example.jpg
001.JPG
Capture.PNG
Screen Shot 2013-10-10 at 16.40.50 .png
smokinhot.jpg
Frankenstein.jpg
Screen Shot 2013-10-09 at 21.58.44 PM.png
icons.PNG
settings.JPG
image.jpg
changes.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hi there Pinside!

After months of hard work we have finally migrated the old site to a new server! This was needed for several reasons: we were running out of disk space on our old server and we didn't have enough RAM to keep all of you happy.

The new server is not just a new physical machine. We've also moved northeast 1700 miles from Dallas, Texas to Canada. For the techies amongst you: The server RAM went from 4GB to 32GB and we're now running on SSD disks in mirrored RAID. We have ditched Apache in favor of Nginx webserver with PHP Fast CGI and we're now running Sphinx server instead of searching MySQL. This allowed us to switch from MyISAM to INNODB.

It all sounds good in theory.

Today we'll find out if it works well with 400 of you browsing at the same time. So we are now officially in BETA ;-D

#2 10 years ago

What else is new? A lot!

Design
Lots of design tweaks, the most important being that we made the page a little wider. Stuff still works fine on iPad. Mobile is in the plans but no date on this yet.

Sub-categories
With over a 100 new topics created daily, we needed a way to better categorise posts without changing the general use of the site. This was done by adding a bunch of sub-categories, each of which has a color and abbreviation to help you recognise your favorite topic categories. The homepage still shows all topics from all subs, but you can disable and sub categories you don't find interesting (e.g. the Off Topic sub-category). The "add topic" page also tries to help you place a new topic in the right sub-category.

Karma points
Lots of discussion and this is the outcome! I have multiplied everyone's Karma points for free! This not only looks cooler and more "pinball", but the score distribution was also evened up. I have changed the way posts score you points. Thumbs up and down are still there, but you need more of 'em before they start awarding your post extra points. A post now scores 1000 points and thumbs up start counting after 4 thumbs (at 150 per thumb).

Image/Upload system
Completely rewritten from scratch. You can now drag drop files, upload multiple files simultaneously, write your posts while uploading, and much more. All images should have been migrated to this new system. Missing something? Let me know!

Settings
We cannot always agree on all things. For some things there are now settings. Check the new forum settings tab above which will allow you to tune the forum to your liking. One of the most requested features now in settings include showing the "new posts" block on the left and making a click go to the last read post automatically.

Scores
Scores now have their own section!

More?
There's a lot more, but you'll find that yourself!

Bugs? Undoubtedly! Obviously with so many changes there are always bugs. You can post a new topic in Pinside > Bugs sub-forum and I will try to squat them as soon as possible.

#20 10 years ago

Thanks for all the nice words everyone! I really appreciate it!

I will take a look at the PM problems reported, stay tuned...

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I logged out and logged back in on my PC and the site is now incredibly slow with what appears to be no CSS. It happened immediately when I clicked log out. It's fine on my phone which I never logged out on.

Could you check your address bar? Are you on https://pinside.com or http://pinside.com? Note the s behind http.

If you are on https, could you remove the s and see if that helps?

The way it's designed to work is this: you browse the http site but login runs on https.

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Robin,
Can you limit the size of the pictures when viewed within a thread? Possibly keep pictures width to the same size allowed for text? For example if you check out this tread the pictures are huge and it makes the thread difficult to read:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dw-restore#post-1147353
I liked it better when the pictures are smaller within the thread and then when you click on them you get the full size high resolution picture.

Yes, I have noticed this as well. Working on a solution!

#93 10 years ago

I'm working on all bugs reported and will also consider any feature request related to the recent changes. Please go easy on me, it's a lot to digest

I'm now working on the images that are showing too big. The server may be a little slow as I am currently resizing 17,000 images which somehow failed to resize properly earlier.

#102 10 years ago

Thanks!

...Down to resizing the last 8000 images...

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Nevermind, the subforum icons look a lot better when I zoom in using Firefox. This will depend on the resolution the user is running at.

What your screen shot shows is an operating system that is not using font smoothing. I'm guessing Windows XP? This is the main reason the sub-forum icons are hard to read. It should look like this:

Screen Shot 2013-10-09 at 21.58.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-10-09 at 21.58.44 PM.png

Obviously I would like to accomodate your situiation as well, but I need some more time for these kinds of tweaks. First I need to tackle the big issues... Like logging in

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Should I be getting a download when I log in?

No? What kind of download are you getting? Could you e-mail it to me (webmaster at pinside dot com) Thanks!

#150 10 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Not sure if it's still resizing but the large pictures are still present on this tread:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wall-decorations/page/2#post-1159242

It's done now. Unfortunately 693 images went missing during the migration. Gotta go find those on the old server.

#151 10 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

I'm cool with everything and aint gonna be one of those "Changes! Gah! I'm skeered!" guys, but I really...really...hate those multicolored sub-forum indicators in the thread index. It just looks so cluttered and gaudy. I'd rather new and read threads be devoid of any color indicators, with just threads that have new replies having the green indicator.

No problem! That's what the forum settings are for!
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/settings

#155 10 years ago

The eror triggered is meant for posting to old threads (necromancing old topics) and obviously not for creating new topics.

There are some more weird issues with starting new topics and I'm afraid the server update didn't fix these. I'm gonna have to dive into this and see what is causing these problems.

For starters, which link do you use to start a new thread? Should be this one:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/?new=1

And which browser are you using? Probably doesn't matter but just to be sure..

#158 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

I can log in now!
Little bug found in the "Activity" page. Still shows old karma point totals in the description.

You're right. I have removed this text for now.

Quoted from Pafasa:

Wait a minute! My karma points just went from 4.3 mil to 3.3 mil. THATS IT!!! I'm quitting pinball forever!!!!!!!
Well, maybe until I get off work. Maybe....

The new numbers are still settling in, today is crazy karma day. Everything will be better as the numbers get some rest later on...

#159 10 years ago
Quoted from FoghornLeghorn:

Robin, when I click that link you gave above, I still get that errror message about not having enough karma. No matter where I try to start a topic, it gives me that message. Using Firefox and also tried on my iPad Safari.

Ok thanks, I'm gonna check now what could be causing this.

#163 10 years ago

Great!

Okay, I'm calling it a day now. Please everyone, go easy on the site! The server is still fresh and she needs to get adjusted to the smell of novus and sweaty pinball players. Not to mention all the beer fumes filling this place. And to think it's only wednesday!

Okay, good night (oh, and don't get nightmares about your Karma points)

#205 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What happened to the floating top banner?
If I want to click on "Forum" for a refresh, I now have to manually scroll back to the top of the page.

It is now disabled on mobile devices, because it was acting funny and it was way too small anyway.

Someone mentioned adding a "back to top" and maybe "back to front page" button at the bottom of each thread, seems like a good idea.

#216 10 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I noticed that this morning as well. It kind of stutters for lack of a better term. Don't recall it doing that last night though...

I think I fixed this. Had to do with an iPad specific touch event that was being really bad.

Quoted from Legacy:

Not sure if it has been mentioned already but when you look at someones pictures in a for sale ad there is no way to exit out of the photostream. Have to press the back button on browser to get out. If I remember correctly there was an X to close it out before. Not a major thing just letting someone know.

Hmm? It's supposed to look like this:

Screen Shot 2013-10-10 at 16.40.50 .pngScreen Shot 2013-10-10 at 16.40.50 .png

What browser are you on?

#220 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Was there a limit put on the number of thumbs up that someone can give?
I am no longer able to give anyone a thumbs up. When I click on the thumbs up icon, I get sent to the top of the page.

Nope, no limit at this time. Being sent to the top of the page means a javascript error in most cases. What browser is that? And can you try a shift-refresh to see if that works?

#222 10 years ago

Hmm, me too. Could you go to view > developer > javascript console ?
This will open the console at the bottom of your screen. Now try thumb-upping again to see if theres a javascript error.

#223 10 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I'm not sure if this is the issue but hopefully this helps troubleshoot:
I generally run my browser less than full width of my monitor, the image box is cropped and you have to scroll to the right to see the "x"

Very helpful, thanks. It appear that the close button is simply not showing for some strange reason. Which browser is that?

#233 10 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming! I need to get rid of all these bugs asap

#256 10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, I will work on resolving these issues as soon as time permits

#258 10 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

I can't even get to the site from my work computers any more. Takes like 20 mins to load a page and when it does it is not in frames like the forums are supposed to be. Just one very long page with everything in text down the page. Was working great two days ago.

Make sure you are not loading from HTTPS instead of HTTP. There is an issue with our SSL configuration that I have yet to work out. For some strange reason the site is extremely slow over HTTPS.

Quoted from Medieval_Gofers:

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but on iPad, and maybe PC (haven't checked yet) whenever I click on a Pinball location on the map page it always comes up with location not found, even on the PHOF and other locations that definitely exist.

Some strange bugs. These were already present before the update. Was happening when you were not logged in. Very strange. I think it should all work again!

#262 10 years ago
Quoted from jasonsmith:

Noticed that the green post update button has moved back to the side. The new method of it being in the middle before the thread title made it 1000% easier to read on the mobile as when the screen was expanded the count and title were both visible. When it's off to the side they are not and you have to follow the title line to the count and hope you're seeing the right one.

You can do this in your forum settings: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/settings

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Will hot topics be coming back?? Hope so.

I hope so too! It's on my to-do list!

Quoted from Thor-NL:

Robin, really miss the "You got messages" message, for pinsidemail.
But the makeover is great, good work

It's still there, the envelope just isn't bouncing anymore. Look in the blue bar in the top right of your screen. If you have unread messages an envelope should show there.

People have also reported notification via e-mail not working? I'm still getting them, so I'm not sure yet if this is an issue for everyone?

#287 10 years ago

Sorry for the typo!

Quoted from RunninMan01:

Congrats, guys. You should considering using AWS for the images and content delivery, if serving that stuff is bogging down your webservers. Just an idea.

Thanks for thew suggestion! But for now, the new server seems to do pretty well, plus we already have a CDN in place for static images etc.

Quoted from FlipperMagician:

So I accidentally hit the flag as bogus button looking through ratings, is there a way to retract it?

Not yet, but I agree there should be. Added to "to-do"!

Quoted from gtown:Robin, a request and a comment:
Request - The "search" quick link in the upper right is great but it would be nice if it was always available, not just when I scroll down a bit. For me it's the easiest way to find a machine and I keep finding myself at the top of a page and want to do a search and end up scrolling down to access it. I know I can click on Archive (or go back to home) but it works easier for me (and allows Pinsider/forum searches from the same nice interface).

Fully agree, this is a limitation of the new GUI which I only "discovered" myself after rolling it out. Oops! I will come up with a better search. Added to "to-do"!

Quoted from RobT:

Any idea why the top moving banner was working, and now it's not?
All I see on the top banner is "search" and "donate" at the top right. Where is "forum" etc?

This happened if your screen width was set to narrow. I have changed the order now, and will work on moving search to another location so it won't disappear.

Quoted from Jdawg4422:

So when will the https site be back up and running? Http is blocked from work whereas https is not.

It's high on my list but I'm still not sure what is causing this. The beta site (not accessible to the public) does not have this problem while it shares all the same configuration / certificate etc.. Investigating...

Quoted from BoJo:

Robin,
I noticed another change. Before the upgrade any machine in the "Games linked to topic" would have the option to click on a link to "see more posts" for that game. Now it seems to be gone and you have to click on the game itself to find them.

You're right. I will see if I can fit that back in there.

#294 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

When uplading images they are not inserted in the order they were uploaded. Can you fix this?

I did some tests with this and I didn't see this. I first tested manually adding an image a.jpg then manually adding b.jpg and then c.jpg - Wehn hitting submit the files would be posted in the correct order.

I then tried drag dropping them. I had my finder/explorer in the alphabetic sorting order and dragged the three files in the box. Again, they would go in the right order and after submitting the post they would be posted in the right order.

Finally I reversed the sorting order and drag-dropped again. As expected the files where uploaded as c.jpg, b.jpg, a.jpg and when posted also went in this order.

Could this be a browser related thing? And are you referring to drag drop or manual uploads? Or Both?

Quoted from pinwillie:

The "find pinsiders" feature in the community section seems to be not working?
Searched my own name to double check .....no results found.

Thanks, that's a bug that I'll fix today.

Quoted from billsfanmd:On iPhone u have to log on every time you come back. Is thus prob on my phone or setting on Pinside ?

I don't see this either on my iPhone. I'm always signed in. Could this be some privacy setting? Or maybe cookie rleated? The auto-sign in needs cookies to remember your auth token.

#304 10 years ago

Hope you're all having a good time at Expo!

I have released a great update today to the map section. The Pinsiders and Locations maps are both upgraded to use a more enhanced method of clustering. This will make browsing a lot faster and more fun! Let me know if you encounter any bugs! See http://pinside.com/pinball/map

Also in this update: fixed the community > Pinsider search and rewrote the My-Pinside section that manages sign-in, sign-out, lost-password, etc. Implemented a password reset system (no more plain text passwords over the mail, yay!)

Still working on HTTPS connectivity issues.

#305 10 years ago

Update: SSH fixed! You can now browse through https://pinside.com if you are signing in from an unsafe location (e.g. Internet Cafe)

#319 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Just a follow-up. Looks like it's fixed. Thanks Robin!

Thanks for reporting!

Next time such a big issue pops up, you can also PM me, so I know about it quicker.

#326 10 years ago

I'm currently working on the upload functionality site-wide, so it should be improved soon!

1 week later
#334 10 years ago
Quoted from Strohz:

And Robin, if you are reading these any chance with all the changes to have a way to show that a thread is old and has been resurrected? That would be extremely useful as sometimes it isn't always obvious at first. I'd love to have a way of having threads on the main page older than a user-defined period highlighted...

Great idea, and would indeed be helpful! Added to my to-do!

1 week later
#338 10 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

As a follow up this issue, this is due to automatic font scaling algorithms by, at least, the android and chrome mobile browsers. Opera mini doesn't do this but frankly the font scaling does make the text easier to read. so all this needs is a bit of QA with those browsers to make the site more mobile friendly.

Mobile version is in the makings!

Quoted from jfh:

How do we get a machine added to the collections database? I have two early EMs from 1948 and 49 that aren't selectable and would like to add them.

PM me with the details and I will add them!

#341 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I would really like to see the date on the posts. I often look back to find a date when something happened for historical purposes and it says something generic like 1 month ago or 1 year ago which is not very helpful.

Try clicking on the "1 month ago" text

#346 10 years ago

Yes, I am working on some upgrades for the image server. You guys are uploading way too much data and the server can't handle it all

#348 10 years ago

Yes that and the fact that I was not resizing/compressing uploads at all
Don't worry, I have been working on a fix today and am happy to report that a solution should be coming soon....

2 weeks later
#352 10 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

The sticky thread issue. If there is not a new post in the PAY IT FORWARD Sticky Thread it WILL NOT show it. You can check the "show all sticky" link underneath it but that only last for the moment you click it. If you navigate away or refresh it will dissapear again. This is a huge issue (IMHO) with the PAY IT FORWARD thread. No one can see it anymore.

This is essentially the intended behaviour. Hide the thread if there's nothing new in it since your last visit.

Quoted from KingNine:

Please look into fixing the search function. It only seems to care about one word and will not let you search strings. The results are scattered and the newest posts it finds are always on the last page of results no matter what you check to sort by.

I've spent some time on this today and added functionality to do phrase searches and much more. Check out the search page and be sure to open the search tips that I wrote.

Quoted from KingNine:

It would be great if we could search the user to PM. I was trying to PM a certain user my brother mailed something to but could not do it. I would have had to find him somewhere in a random post to click the PM button.

You can! Go to community and then click on the cool "Find Pinsiders" link:

Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 00.02.22 am.pngScreen Shot 2013-12-11 at 00.02.22 am.png

From a users profile page you can hit the PM tab and starting direct messaging someone!

#353 10 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

clicking on link at bottom of forum for page 10
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum0
404 Not Found
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nginx
then clicking on number link for page 1 from page 10 error page
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/page/1
Pinside Pinball Forum » Page not found!
Page not found!

This was just fixed. It turned out to be a silly programming error on my end.

1 month later
#369 10 years ago
Quoted from aberdeentp:

I've been noticing this, getting worse each day, and this is using both chrome and internet explorer. Tonight I got on to check the market and when I left I couldn't get another connection to pinside for 8 minutes.

Could you please let me know around which time this happens? Because when I'm on (I'm on CET time) the site runs smooth and fast. I might have to pull an allnighter and do some live monitoring while America is on the Pinside.

Quoted from 0geist0:

Seems to be a problem with pics showing up on FS ads with chrome. With chrome I don't see them but with explorer I do

Could you give me a link to an ad whose pictures are not loading?

#370 10 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

In a recent revision I noticed the "search" button is now only visible when you scroll down the page and the grey toolbar pops up. Didn't this used to be always shown next to the current user on the upper right? I have always used that that quite a bit, so I don't see a reason it needs to be hidden until a user scrolls down the page.

That's a good one.

Quoted from jlm33:

The only way to get a karma score not ending with "0" is to have been banned (as you lose 20% of your points). I would suggest to round up this score to avoid leaving a permanent mark...

Yes, good catch. Will look into this.

#377 10 years ago

Sorry all! A small bug in date parsing module was causing this. Should be fixed now! I'm also working on restoring auction prices, bang for buck and more!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-pinside-weve-got-a-new-server-and-a-new-look?tu=robin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.