(Topic ID: 26759)

Hey pinball Community! I gotsa general question for you!

By Skrippy

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Doot77
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

What, to you, makes up a good ramp whether it the ramps placement on the field, the set up of the ramp, entrance, flow, speed, sounds etc..

Go into great detail or simple reply's!
    Either way!
    I'd love to know the communities thoughts!

What makes a ramp a great shot? and give me some examples!

#2 11 years ago

Jpop or Nordman designing it

#4 11 years ago

infinitely repeatable... like the 'whirlpool' shot in black rose

-jon - reciprocal nyc

#5 11 years ago

A smooth return without hangup and hitches.

#6 11 years ago

If it has a purpose. I like ramps to do something like take to ball to a feature. Not so keen on ramps that are there as a simple shot (like DE Simpsons). BBB for example uses ramps for a bunch of things like locking the balls for multiball or completing a mode. I like that.

#7 11 years ago

a smooth entrance. Doesn't bobble from side to side or so steep that it practically jumps at the top. Like BOP's billions ramp, is sloppy, too tight and too steep. T3's ramps are smooth like butter. Fuck quick return, then your just entering fan pattern bullshit cuntry.

#8 11 years ago

I believe a smooth entrance and quick return are key.

For example, I really liked my ID4, but the biggest problem with the ramps was if you did not hit them exactly right, the ball wouldn't go up the ramp... it would bounce from one side to the other and come back down. That sucks. It is so unrewarding.

It is like Pat Lawlor said... there is sooooo much work put into the geometry of everything on the playfield to get it "just right". Flow is no accident. If something is even 1/8 inch off, it makes the shot a dud.

#9 11 years ago

I like smooth, swirly ramps. Also prefer ramps with diverters to make gameplay more interesting (TOTAN, LOTR, WWFRR, etc.) A ramp that just brings the ball back to an inlane is kinda boring, if you think about it...

#10 11 years ago

I love those ramps on operator routes that no matter how perfect you hit it, the ball doesnt make it up and goes SDTM.

#11 11 years ago

I think a ramp made out of wood is my fav.

#12 11 years ago

My favorite ramp is the Liberator. Google it ; )

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

My favorite ramp is the Liberator. Google it ; )

I can fully understand this.

Also, all of your responses are being recorded for quality purposes.
    For the most part your answers have the very insightful.

#14 11 years ago

Ramps like on mm where it goes from flipper to flipper and then the damsel gate drops, very satisfying if you can string the shots together!

#15 11 years ago

Pretty much any ramp Steve Ritchie designed. They are so smooth. Ramps are great for flow. I don't like them being interrupted by "features". Move those things to other interesting shots.

#16 11 years ago

Oddly enough, I'm a big fan of ramps I can't see. The garage on TSPP. The evil monkey jackpot shot on FGY. The super jackpot shot on Ripley's. All mini ramps, but very satisfying shots. I also like mini ramp on Wheel. With a little properly placed drop dead foam, you can slam a ball in there at full speed off the right flipper and it will stop dead instantly. Love that. NGG's hole in one shot (also a mini) is epic too. A mini ramp that launches huge air balls. Simply brilliant.

Also love stainless ramps. Everyone should own a T3 at some point in their collector career. Best stainless ramp game ever.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

I like smooth, swirly ramps. Also prefer ramps with diverters to make gameplay more interesting (TOTAN, LOTR, WWFRR, etc.) A ramp that just brings the ball back to an inlane is kinda boring, if you think about it...

There's no "diverter" per se on LOTR...just a lock...

#18 11 years ago

Good placement. Fast flow and return to flippers. Great sounds and reason in the rules to shoot for the ramp. If it is satisfying in multiple ways and smooth and fast return it is always a winner in my book.

#19 11 years ago

I think speed is a winner

#20 11 years ago

I think the Shadow ramps are amazing because you can choose which flipper to return to.

#21 11 years ago

+1 on speed...return the ball play on.

#22 11 years ago

I guess I'm different than a lot of people - while I like them to be smooth of course, I like it where the ramp shots are rather difficult to actually hit and successfully make. Games like JP and IM with the ramps so far back are great. I also like VND because if you nail them, they are SO fast, but the ramps need a perfect shot to make them - with the exception of the middle one, but that you actually generally don't want to hit.

I tend to not like swirly or meandering ramps. WCS is the only game I don't mind it on with the right ball return, but that is because it is fast and serves a purpose in dropping the ball off where it does. No thank you to LW3 and TOTAN though, sorry.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

There's no "diverter" per se on LOTR...just a lock...

Yeah, you're right. I meant to also include ramps that have multiple entrances/exits, as opposed to "linear" ramps that simply take a single shot and return it to a flipper.

#24 11 years ago

I like a woman's rump to be firm and round. Oh crap sorry...I see I miss read and you wanted to know about ramps..#glasses

#25 11 years ago

Ones made of metal or with factory protectors that actually work are best. Then in 20 years you can find a machine without broken ones. Try finding an unbroken left ramp on a Black Rose, just try...

#26 11 years ago

A ramp that when you make the shot, the ball exits the ramp, FLYS IN THE AIR and then gets locked in a hole with a magnet! No matter how hard you smack it, it stops that ball like a champ. Talk about a great feeling ramp shot.

#27 11 years ago

I really like the G & R ramps on GNR not only do they fit the theme awesome they actually flow really well when returned to the flippers. The G ramp can be a bear to get but with just the right timing it's a very rewarding feeling also.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-pinball-community-i-gotsa-general-question-for-you and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.