(Topic ID: 326636)

HEY JJP, STERN, American Pinball!!!........

By turbo2nr

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Top of this only (resized).png
    Screenshot_20221130-215005_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20221130-214850_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Suction Cup Glass Handle1 (resized).jpg
    E0E4485A-189C-4A27-B875-54BDE957CC11 (resized).png
    6980632 (resized).jpg
    ezgif-1-4a704258df.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

It is almost 2023

Is it now time to engineer a F'n pinball cabinet so the glass doesn't hit the damn corner of the coindoor when sliding it out?

Or, is this a thing in pinball that must remain for some reason?

I ruined my Invisigla$$ when I walked away with lockdown bar off to grab a tool, and the glass started to move and rubbed on the open coindoor.
    I couldn't run across the room fast enough to save it.

AAAAAHHHHHH STUPID F-N DESIGN!!! WHY? WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE THIS WAY FOR DECADES AND DECADES??

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #2 1 year ago
    Quoted from turbo2nr:

I ruined my Invisigla$$ when I walked away with lockdown bar off to grab a tool, and the glass started to move and rubbed on the open coindoor.

Well, that wasn't very smart.

It's almost 2023...you'd think folks who had been working on pinball machines for years would know not to remove the lockdown bar on a steep modern pinball machine and walk away.

#3 1 year ago

I usually just close the coin door before taking out the glass

#4 1 year ago

Jersey Jack? Can you PLEASE fix this the next time you decide to reinvent the wheel?

Really is stupid design! 2mm lower for coindoor, or raise the wood/glass up 2mm is all it takes!

JEBUS CHRISTO!

#5 1 year ago

Uhh..

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from aaron6920:

I usually just close the coin door before taking out the glass

Just, except when you need the coindoor open. I've had 120+ pins and usually am prepared for this stupid design and the collision that would happen

#7 1 year ago

I've done worse. Shit happens...its hard to keep everything perfect. Live, learn and move on.....

#8 1 year ago

User error.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's almost 2023...you'd think folks who had been working on pinball machines for years would know not to remove the lockdown bar on a steep modern pinball machine and walk away.

Was adjusting the receiver so that the lockbar wouldn't jiggle man.

On and off....on and off. Went to grab a different screwdriver.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Where is Robert Mueller and his fancy hinged playfield glass when you need him?!

#11 1 year ago

So you walked away with the glass unsecured, and you're annoyed that it slid out and got scratched? Hell without the coin door the whole glass might have come out and shattered...

This is user error, not a design flaw.

#12 1 year ago

My sterns are so tight it is hard to get the glass out I’m surprised it is so loose it slides out on you.

#13 1 year ago

I think the blame falls squarely upon invisiglass for producing such a soft product.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think the blame falls squarely upon invisiglass for producing such a soft product.

I couldn’t agree more should be hardened. They won’t get my business unless they stiffen up the quality control.

Or perhaps stern should make a softer coin door

#15 1 year ago

So what you're saying is we need to go back to the 70s Bally EM design where the glass lifts up with the side rails attached?

#16 1 year ago

Hold receiver lever with One hand

Second hand removes my Chrome or powdercoated lockbar

First hand then goes to glass to keep it from sliding.

Third hand closes the coindoor

Or....bump the coindoor down by 2mm so this collision never happens.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from turbo2nr:

then quarters dont drop and land in the coinbox or get jammed in mechs and operators cant make any money til its cleared... i say leave it alone. sorry that happened to you, learn from it and move on.

#18 1 year ago

My acdc glass tries it’s best to shoot out the game. I’m well aware of it before I remove the lockdown bar since I’ve opened it many times over the years. Knowing it does this, I would never just walk away from it without the lockdown bar on. That’s just me. I do agree however that the lock door could be lowered ever so slightly to avoid accidental scratching

#19 1 year ago

They should bring back the bally design where the glass just lifts off the top with the lock bar! I love how easy it is

#20 1 year ago

And yall laughed at deeproot pinball for trying to be innovative.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mcgringoloco:

Most of us weren't interested in paying a $3,000 premium for this innovation when an understanding of how gravity works is free.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mcgringoloco:

If only Robert had swindled 600 retirees of their money, they might have had enough money to figure it out.

ezgif-1-4a704258df.gifezgif-1-4a704258df.gif
    #23 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

If only Robert had swindled 600 retirees of their money, they might have had enough money to figure it out.[quoted image]

LMAO I've never seen this full length version before...where Mueller mutters "stop, stop" and waves off the camera man.

It's always a good time to remind everybody how full of shit that gasbag was and how horrible and ridiculous Deep Root's "innovations" were.

It also stands as a testament as to why pinball manufacturers don't need to spend time and money "fixing" problems that don't exist. Like the "issue" of people removing their lockdown bars and then walking away without removing the glass.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LMAO I've never seen this full length version before...where Mueller mutters "stop, stop" to the camera man.
    It's always a good time to remind everybody how full of shit that gasbag was and how horrible and ridiculous Deep Root's "innovations" were.

I also like while he is trying to close it, you can see the playfield hitting the glass. The unpopulated playfield doesn't even have enough vertical clearance for this idea...

And also think about how tall you would need to be to work on that rotisserie...

#25 1 year ago

The first thing I was told when buying my first machine was to always have the door shut when dealing with the glass and always take the balls out before propping up the playfield.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I also like while he is trying to close it, you can see the playfield hitting the glass. The unpopulated playfield doesn't even have enough vertical clearance for this idea...

Is the guy in the back prematurely celebrating, or trying to demonstrate that Mueller needs to lift it higher than it can possibly go?

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LMAO I've never seen this full length version before...where Mueller mutters "stop, stop" and waves off the camera man.
    It also stands as a testament as to why pinball manufacturers don't need to spend time and money "fixing" problems that don't exist. Like the "issue" of people removing their lockdown bars and then walking away without removing the glass.

Hilarious! I never saw the full version either.
    I stopped following the thread long ago
    Hopefully he’s now living in a van down by the river or wearing an orange jumpsuit in a room with a barred window.
    That pinpod shipping container was another masterpiece.
    Unfortunately we never found out about octo-manufacturing or whatever the hell he called it.
    We are going to revolutionize pinball production!

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Is the guy in the back prematurely celebrating, or trying to demonstrate that Mueller needs to lift it higher than it can possibly go?

Honestly, now that you say that I'm not sure. Most people assumed early celebrating, but him trying to emphasize how high Robert needs to be lifting makes a lot of sense too. Especially when he is raising his arms when Robert is lifting the playfield up

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

The first thing I was told when buying my first machine was to always have the door shut when dealing with the glass and always take the balls out before propping up the playfield.

Same here. Also plug the power cord into a surge protector power strip.
    There’s no room for common sense in 2022.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Honestly, now that you say that I'm not sure. Most people assumed early celebrating, but him trying to emphasize how high Robert needs to be lifting makes a lot of sense too. Especially when he is raising his arms when Robert is lifting the playfield up

If you are less than 6’ tall you need to stand on a step ladder for it to work….
    Rube Goldberg would be so proud!

#31 1 year ago

its a pinball and invis-glass conspiracy !

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

If only Robert had swindled 600 retirees of their money, they might have had enough money to figure it out.[quoted image]

OMG. Watching that gif made me want to jump out a window.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

Good on the seller for giving you some great advice.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Hopefully he’s now living in a van down by the river or wearing an orange jumpsuit in a room with a barred window.

Last anyone heard he got a job a Boeing. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/640#post-7126135

SEC action isn't done yet, nor has any criminal prosecution happened afaik.

#35 1 year ago
    6980632 (resized).jpg6980632 (resized).jpg
    #36 1 year ago
    Quoted from turbo2nr:

Or get a new Stern and unlatch the lockbar, remove the lockbar, close the coin door and remove the glass. Its the stupid frappin spring loaded receiver lever that is holding you back. Terrible design that some companies still use for some reason.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from turbo2nr:

2mm lower for coindoor, or raise the wood/glass up 2mm is all it takes

Capcom had their own solution to the problem. When their cabinets were cut, they had the bottom portion of the door recessed slightly more than the top, so the open door angled down away from the glass.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from turbo2nr:

Invisiglass...chrome/powder coated lockbars...

just proves the old adage, money can buy lots of things, but not common sense...

#39 1 year ago

When you get older you won’t even be able to see the scratches unless you play with your readers on.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

Capcom had their own solution to the problem. When their cabinets were cut, they had the bottom portion of the door recessed slightly more than the top, so the open door angled down away from the glass.

Capcom were the real innovators. Had Williams not beat them over the head with endless lawsuits, they really coulda changed the game. It’s ridiculous Gary hasn’t ripped off some of their genuinely good improvements! The prop arms and wheels on the back of the playfields are awesome.

Also, out of all my machines, Fish Tales is the ONLY machine the glass rubs against. I leave the door open and remove the glass on all my other machines, never had this issue.
    Really baffles me

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I could watch that all day on an endless loop.
    Someone needs to set that to music. Maybe "Rubberband Man" by The Spinners.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Capcom were the real innovators. Had Williams not beat them over the head with endless lawsuits, they really coulda changed the game. It’s ridiculous Gary hasn’t ripped off some of their genuinely good improvements! The prop arms and wheels on the back of the playfields are awesome.

They did have some great ideas. Those playfields did lift like a dream! Boxes for the speakers was another good one. One place that they did fail on was using such small gauge wire under the playfield. Those were always breaking. Anyway, yes, Capcom really could've been something if they were around longer!

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

Wasn't for the glass. It was to make coin chutes more level and accept quarters better.

As playfield pitch ( cabinet ) increased. The coin chutes were not level anymore. They were leaning up.

LTG : )

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

Boxes for the speakers was another good one.

To avoid issues with Williams design.

#45 1 year ago
    E0E4485A-189C-4A27-B875-54BDE957CC11 (resized).pngE0E4485A-189C-4A27-B875-54BDE957CC11 (resized).png
    #46 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Wasn't for the glass. It was to make coin chutes more level and accept quarters better.
    As playfield pitch ( cabinet ) increased. The coin chutes were not level anymore. They were leaning up.

Very interesting! No matter the reason, they were innovative, and it solved the above problem.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

Very interesting! No matter the reason, they were innovative, and it solved the above problem.

Yes. I wish they'd been around more than one year. No telling what else we may have all seen. In the game, software, and electronics.

#48 1 year ago

Use a handled suction cup and loop some string thru the handle and around the backbox. Glass can't go anywhere. The handled suction cup works great to remove tight glass BTW.

Suction Cup Glass Handle1 (resized).jpgSuction Cup Glass Handle1 (resized).jpg

#49 1 year ago

Before I got coordinated enough to do the lockdown bar/glass holding/coin door closing dance, the method I used with the fast sliding glass on my TAF is:

When you're removing the lockdown bar, unlock it with the lever, pull it out, re-lock the lever, then put the lockdown bar back into it's slots. Granted, it won't go all the way in, but you don't want it to. It'll go in enough to block the glass from sliding down while you close the coin door. Do whatever else you need to do, then you can slide the glass back up a bit and remove the lockdown bar and place it wherever accordingly.

If you REALLY want to protect your powder coated or chromed lockdown bars completely, then have a piece of steel cut to the shape of the tab on the underside of the bar, but a bit longer. Then, spray that piece with Plasti-Dip(or dip it into one of their non-spray cans) so that your Invisiglass is protected by the rubber coating. That way, you can take out your high dollar lockdown bar, place this glass holder in one of the slots, re-lock the lever(letting your glass rest on this new "stopper"), then take your time closing the coin door and gently placing your lockdown bar wherever you need to and for however long it takes.

Now then, I hereby copyright this above custom glass holder idea right here and now. I also copyright the idea of using two of these taller tabs welded together by a piece bridging the span between them, and the rubber coating on either of these two versions of this part idea. I am open to licensing this idea to whomever wants to make it for the ten or fifteen people who might actually want to buy it. Ok, more people might actually want it, but most people know their games well enough to know to hang on to the glass with one hand while manipulating the lock lever, lockdown bar, and coin door with the other hand.

#50 1 year ago

Unattended parent blaming the system for when their child got hurt? Man I miss the old hobby when we made a dumb mistake we would hold only ourselves accountable.

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.