Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

After weeks of thinking I had dropped some solder or had a closed leaf switch and giving everything the "big inspection" with the "big-inspection-thick-glasses" I came across this: a short on the trunk cable as it passed around the bonus unit. I guess after years of vibrating, the sharp corner ate through the wire insulation and was wreaking havoc on game play. How often does this come up? Should I now look for this as you look for the usual suspects affecting game play?

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I've seen that happen in DMD games as well.

A GI wire rubbed up against a solenoid lug. The edge of the lug was sharp enough over many years, it cut through the plastic coat.

Glad you found it!

faz

#3 8 years ago

Happens alot.

#4 8 years ago

"Anything" is possible.

#5 8 years ago

Yup, happens all the time. Very common.

#6 8 years ago

Yes, if a game has a short I usually look for this sort of thing. I've had a couple like that where the wiring harness is worn where it makes a sharp bend. Lifting the playfield over the years on a Teacher's Pet I had caused some wear through the harness where it turned toward the back of the machine. It kept spotting me a letter and it took me awhile to figure out why.

#7 8 years ago

I'll look for it all the time now. Thanks.
It feels great to see the game now playing without error.
Never mind it gave me a thrill to just figure it out. It reminded me of a meme...

image.jpgimage.jpg

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from balzofsteel:

Anything" is possible.

Yep. Had 2 broken ground wires, bad spring tension, and other fun stuff on the last Gottlieb Bonus Unit I worked on.

Ken

#9 8 years ago

Target Alpha, kept blowing the 25v fuse during game play. left door open one time saw big blue sparks near tilt board... one wire to a flipper coil had rubbed against a sharp edge of the ball roll tilt piece, shorted when flipper energized, sometimes...

So yea, always nice to find these after hours of searching...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-em-guys-is-this-a-common-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.