(Topic ID: 166262)

Hesitating between 2 staplers, suggestion?

By Plumonium

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by 85Txaggie
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stapler_(resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I'm hesitating between 2 staplers.

One is upholstery stapler using 22gauge staples. The other is similar but uses regular Arrow T50 staples. I thought the second could work well and I could used it for other more heavy duty task I might have around the house. As the first one if more light duty but better suited for ground braid.

What you guys think?

Surebonder-9615 ( 3/8" narrow crown - 22 gauge staples from 5/16" to 5/8" in length)
    https://www.amazon.ca/Surebonder-9615-Upholstery-Stapler-Carrying/dp/B000N52KSW/ref=pd_cp_469_1

Surebonder-9600 (T50, 1/4" through 9/16" lengths)
    https://www.amazon.ca/Surebonder-9600A-Heavy-Duty-Staple/dp/B000EOJPC6/ref=pd_cp_469_1

#2 7 years ago

Here's the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Unicatch-USC71-16L-US2238AL-Upholstery/dp/B004WOKWGW/

Has a longer nose to get into harder to reach cabinet and playfield areas.

#4 7 years ago

Yeah but it's 90$ more in Canada ($129). 40$ is what I want to spend for a stapler I feel.

#5 7 years ago

Buy the long nose, you will really like it!

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from Redketchup:

Buy the long nose, you will really like it!

My wallet won't

#7 7 years ago

You will get what you pay for with those cheap staplers (or any tool for that matter).

#8 7 years ago

stapler_(resized).jpgstapler_(resized).jpg

Had to be done, you all know it.

#9 7 years ago

Yep. What these guys are saying is true. You want the Unicatch long-nosed upholstery stapler, also found on pinrestore.com:

http://www.pinrestore.com/Tools.html

The long nose will help you get into tight spots, it fires the factory staples when you're doing repairs or restorations, and gets you in between wires on the playfield when you need to staple down ground braid or pop bumper leads.

The first time you can't get into a tight spot with the other stapler, you'll wonder why you didn't pay the extra money.

And don't get me started on cheap riveters...

#10 7 years ago

Maybe... But if it's for playfeild purposed, you have to put the socket before the ground braid, be able to do the job with the long nose it's a real advantage. if it's only for cabinet, both will work fine.

#11 7 years ago

So far it's only for cabinet ground braid. And I'd like to do other things than pinball restoration with it (not upholstery...) The reviews seem to say it's doing its job.

#12 7 years ago

Who knows if it's the only 1 time I'll have to install new ground braid in a cabinet...

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from aztarac:

You will get what you pay for with those cheap staplers (or any tool for that matter).

I have done amazing things with cheap tools.

#14 7 years ago

I don't use mine often, but it's handy when I do need it. Just like any other tool.

I've since learned it's better to spend a few extra bucks on a better tool that has some good feedback, than to struggle with a cheaper tool that might not work quite right and has no feedback. But, sometimes I've done ok with cheaper tools, sometimes not. It's hit or miss.

#15 7 years ago

Now, to go back to my original question, would you get the 22 gauge stapler or the all-around T50 staples one?

#16 7 years ago

It's either those or the hand stapler. I already made my mind to get a pneumatic stapler, come on you guys!

90$ is not a few extra bucks for a single ground braid job. As an example, I can get new speakers and bunch of goodies for that money. Sometimes, it's one or the other. We got to compromise...

#17 7 years ago

"I'm looking for suggestions." "I have a suggestion." "I don't like your suggestion."

Cheaping out on tools never pays in the long run, when the cheap tool breaks.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Plumonium:

I already made my mind to get a pneumatic stapler, come on you guys!

Get the cheapest one.

Me, I got the long nose one and concur with pretty much everyone else on this thread.

#19 7 years ago

This is what I got off of eBay:

UNICATCH US2238LN LONG NOSE AIR STAPLER TOOL W/ " C TYPE STAPLES
    ( 361347820283 )
    I got it from Staplemania off their eBay store. The stock staples that they ship with were not the right size, so I asked them to sub which they did for me. I have used it for two playfield transfers since I got it and it has worked perfectly. The box of staples will likely last longer than I will.
    I think it was $76, including shipping.
    I am told that it is the same typed as used in manufacturing.
    ebay.com link: LONG NOSE AIR STAPLER TOOL W SENCO C TYPE STAPLES UNICATCH US2238LN US71 1

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Plumonium:

It's either those or the hand stapler. I already made my mind to get a pneumatic stapler, come on you guys!
    90$ is not a few extra bucks for a single ground braid job. As an example, I can get new speakers and bunch of goodies for that money. Sometimes, it's one or the other. We got to compromise...

The all-purpose staples will not look right. If you don't care about that, get it. Otherwise get the upholstery stapler.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Plumonium:

Now, to go back to my original question, would you get the 22 gauge stapler or the all-around T50 staples one?

Go with the 3/8" narrow crown - 22 gauge staples.

1 week later
    #23 7 years ago

I went with the narrow 22 gauge stapler and it works very well. So much easier to drive staples than a hand stapler I'm never going back. It's very small and very light. Best 40$ spent ever.

Surebonder-9615

#24 7 years ago

Wait until you have to pull a pop bumper body off a WPC game with the 555 socket and the flat wire stapled. The wires will be buried under the other mechanisms and wires. Good luck using your short nosed stapler.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What about this long nose stapler for $50.00? Any good? Or junk?

I would think that one would work great.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85Txaggie:

Wait until you have to pull a pop bumper body off a WPC game with the 555 socket and the flat wire stapled. The wires will be buried under the other mechanisms and wires. Good luck using your short nosed stapler.

No one would re-staple these as it would be nearly impossible on most machines to remove the original staples and flat wires without a major playfield disassembly. Everyone would simply cut off the old socket, and solder the new light socket leads to the the existing flat wires.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

No one would re-staple these as it would be nearly impossible on most machines to remove the original staples and flat wires without a major playfield disassembly. Everyone would simply cut off the old socket, and solder the new light socket leads to the the existing flat wires.

I guess I am no one.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hesitating-between-2-staplers-suggestion?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.