Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by RyanStl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4d99db0c577f1049c0e571e98a575dc4 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

So. Let me open by saying this, I have learned a lot on this site in the last couple of years. Not all of it pinball related. The best non-pinball thing so far? Vid's tips on making good popcorn. Yep. That kind of info is here. And as always, Vid was spot on.

I learned about Escrow.com here. It works great. Used it to buy my BKSOR. Flawless transaction.

Now I'm wanting to buy this vehicle in Oregon. Seller seems like a super cool guy. He doesn't own any pinball machines, nor did he mention playing any, but he seems legit regardless. Vehicle asking price is 27K. I'm not just gonna send someone 27K on a wire. Or Paypal. Or a cashier's check.

I told him about Pinside. I told him how a lot of us will use Escrow.com when you can't go cash on the glass. He is very hesitant about it. Like he thinks I'm gonna scam him. I honestly think this guy is legit. He actually seems kind of cool. Any suggestions on how I assure this guy I'm wanting to use Escrow to protect both of us? He thinks I might just accept the car and keep the money. I told him there is an inspection period and once it times out the money is released to him.

Anyway................I don't have the time to fly to Oregon to hand someone a cashier's check but it seems like that may be my only route if I can't convince this guy that Escrow.com is legit.

Any suggestions from the crowd here are appreciated.

#2 2 years ago

Even if you convince him it's legit, some don't want the hassle of waiting to get paid after you receive the item and inspect it.

#3 2 years ago

I understand his hesitance, just imagine if your roles were reversed. How would you handle it? I have a hard time with large transactions so far away.

#4 2 years ago

Just out of curiosity, what kind of vehicle is it? Must be something hard to find if you are buying it sight unseen over 3000 miles away...?? And if you:
    "don't have the time to fly to Oregon to hand someone a cashier's check" how are you going to get it back to Florida?
    Maybe send him the escrow link you want to use and he can read into it.

#5 2 years ago

I wouldnt do it as the seller... I would just move on to the next interested party.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from manadams:

Even if you convince him it's legit, some don't want the hassle of waiting to get paid after you receive the item and inspect it.

It's a touch of a hassle yes. Getting ripped for 27K is not something I wanna start the year out with though.

Quoted from pincoin:

I understand his hesitance, just imagine if your roles were reversed. How would you handle it? I have a hard time with large transactions so far away.

He isn't starving. Nor am I. I understand his hesitance, but it would be nice to find a way to convince him that this protects us both. It was less than 15 days for the BKSOR deal I did to be completed via escrow. That game was in California. I'm in Florida. Anyway.........I understand his position. But two weeks in the scheme of things is nothing.

Guess I'll start looking at airfare.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Just out of curiosity, what kind of vehicle is it? Must be something hard to find if you are buying it sight unseen over 3000 miles away...?? And if you:

M1163 Growler.

Quoted from gjm:

"don't have the time to fly to Oregon to hand someone a cashier's check" how are you going to get it back to Florida?

Uship. quoted price there to here $2700 car hauler

Quoted from cosmokramer:

I wouldnt do it as the seller... I would just move on to the next interested party.

Hmm. I question why though? Isn't Escrow.com legit for this kinda stuff?

4d99db0c577f1049c0e571e98a575dc4 (resized).jpg4d99db0c577f1049c0e571e98a575dc4 (resized).jpg
    #8 2 years ago

guessing your wanting the GI JOE pinball ?

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

guessing your wanting the GI JOE pinball ?

hahah lol

that made me laugh.

Umm no. No GI Joe for me. I just like working on exotic vehicles that serve a higher purpose than a Ferrari.

#10 2 years ago

Given the escrow.com fee, maybe just fly up there for piece of mind. Sure its probably more than the escrow.com fee but if you fly, you can see the vehicle, watch it get loaded on a carrier, make the guy comfortable, etc. .

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinphila:

Given the escrow.com fee, maybe just fly up there for piece of mind. Sure its probably more than the escrow.com fee but if you fly, you can see the vehicle, watch it get loaded on a carrier, make the guy comfortable, etc.

I just looked at this option. $570 round trip vs the $214 escrow fee and like you said piece of mind for all parties concerned.

Like you said:

"you can see the vehicle, watch it get loaded on a carrier, make the guy comfortable"

Just texted him this option. We'll see what he says.

So on that note? What's for sale in Oregon right now? Maybe I pick up a pin while I'm at it

#12 2 years ago

just read up on the vehicle ....

tough little bugger !

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

just read up on the vehicle ....

tough little bugger !

Yep. It's an interesting little animal.

The size of a Suzuki Samurai but clocking in at 5400 lbs. They have only been available to the civilian market since 2019. Pretty standard parts too for the most part.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from lifefloat:

I just looked at this option. $570 round trip vs the $214 escrow fee and like you said piece of mind for all parties concerned.
    Like you said:
    "you can see the vehicle, watch it get loaded on a carrier, make the guy comfortable"
    Just texted him this option. We'll see what he says.
    So on that note? What's for sale in Oregon right now? Maybe I pick up a pin while I'm at it

You should try to swing by Next Level Pinball while you’re up here. That place is amazing.

#15 2 years ago

deal with sellers who have a great rep on here and abroad, no need to jump through hoops. Then any way the sellers wants you to pay, you should be less reluctant to hesitate on paying.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

You should try to swing by Next Level Pinball while you’re up here. That place is amazing.

Duly noted. Thank you.

This could be a fun road trip. For sure.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

deal with sellers who have a great rep on here and abroad, no need to jump through hoops. Then any way the sellers wants you to pay, you should be less reluctant to hesitate on paying

I'm not the FBI. I have no idea who this guy is but like I said before he seems legit. I agree with your sentiment though. But tough to validate if there is no track record.

#18 2 years ago

I can totally understand the seller's hesitation. I had a guy in the States interested in my Sega Godzilla. He wanted to use escrow. My concern was what if something happens in shipping. In my mind, once I hand it to the shipper I've done my part and the risk is on the buyer for shipping, but escrow allows the buyer to inspect the item. I decided not worth the hassle to me.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from TwilightZone:

I can totally understand the seller's hesitation.

I can understand it also.

Quoted from TwilightZone:

My concern was what if something happens in shipping.

I suppose you hire the best shipping you can and cross fingers. That's why before you enter into escrow both parties agree on shipping methods. You don't want the #TMNT escapade kinda thing that happened here recently. Not saying that party didn't do his due diligence but did they?

#20 2 years ago

Escrow is total BS. If you as the buyer want a seller to ship a 5 figure item sight unseen then you need to take the risk and wire the money before anything gets shipped…

#21 2 years ago

Just tell him a bunch of pinball fanatics said it was okay. Ha ha.

#22 2 years ago

I have bought two vehicles sight unseen and paid for both with Escrow.com. The sellers were leery as well. The key is that you have to pay extra for the title service. The seller sends the title to escrow, sends the car to you, you receive the car, escrow releases payment and title.

Escrow stays man in the middle for the whole thing.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Escrow is total BS. If you as the buyer want a seller to ship a 5 figure item sight unseen then you need to take the risk and wire the money before anything gets shipped…

You must have more $$ than I and a higher level of trust for humanity.

I just thought Escrow was solid in that it protected both parties in a transaction.

Quoted from jackd104:

Just tell him a bunch of pinball fanatics said it was okay. Ha ha.

I actually did.

I'm not a scam artist. I keep a full tank of gas for unexpected road trips when opportunity knocks. Just thought Escrow might save me some gas money.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

For sure. It would be a hard thanks but no thanks from me. Dealing with that hassle and the risk the buyer says the item wasn’t as described in some way is simply not worth the risk. I wouldn’t even consider it if I was the seller.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I have bought two vehicles sight unseen and paid for both with Escrow.com. The sellers were leery as well. The key is that you have to pay extra for the title service. The seller sends the title to escrow, sends the car to you, you receive the car, escrow releases payment and title.

Escrow stays man in the middle for the whole thing.

This is kinda how I pictured this going. Interesting they offer title service. Good to know.

I'm probably going old school at this point though. Show up with funds. Leave with vehicle. In this case on a trailer.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

For sure. It would be a hard thanks but no thanks from me. Dealing with that hassle and the risk the buyer says the item wasn’t as described in some way is simply not worth the risk. I wouldn’t even consider it if I was the seller.

Well.......................I thought it was a good idea. I guess it's back to cash on the glass.

Which in this case involves a plane ride for me.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from lifefloat:

This is kinda how I pictured this going. Interesting they offer title service. Good to know.
    I'm probably going old school at this point though. Show up with funds. Leave with vehicle. In this case on a trailer.

I buy california cars and ship them to Wisconsin from time to time. My dream vacation would be to buy a beater from cali and drive it all the way back to Wisconsin. Nothing like wrenching on the fly.

Since reality plays a large part in this, escrow it is for me.

#28 2 years ago

where in Oregon is the seller located?

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Nothing like wrenching on the fly

I have done quite a few of those kinds of runs actually. They can be fun and miserable all in the same breath.

Like the time I had to find a Dana 44 in the middle of nowhere because the one I was towing failed to have oil in it and seized. In defense of the axle it made it 250 miles with no oil at highway speeds until it locked. Bad situation but found one and witnessed some truly interesting parts of the USA I would not have seen otherwise.

My bad for not checking the axle before towing that Jeep.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

where in Oregon is the seller located?

Right in your listed hometown. Bingo.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from lifefloat:

I have done quite a few of those kinds of runs actually. They can be fun and miserable all in the same breath.
    Like the time I had to find a Dana 44 in the middle of nowhere because the one I was towing failed to have oil in it and seized. In defense of the axle it made it 250 miles with no oil at highway speeds until it locked. Bad situation but found one and witnessed some truly interesting parts of the USA I would not have seen otherwise.
    My bad for not checking the axle before towing that Jeep.

Awesome! My favorite so far… was driving a 67 beetle in college from Florida back to Illinois. Belt shredded (not that big of a deal) somewhere in southern Illinois. The problem was it blew apart and actually went into the fan in the rear of the doghouse. I had to wait for the engine to cool, remove the three bolts holding the engine to the tranny, drop the motor, and then clean out the fan assembly. Nothing like dropping a motor on the side of a freeway… lol

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from lifefloat:

Right in your listed hometown. Bingo.

Seriously he is in Pleasant Hill? I dont get out alot lately but i could probably have my wife run me by to take a look at it.. PM me

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Nothing like dropping a motor on the side of a freeway… lol

At least that VW didn't burn on the side of the freeway............as so many have. And that magnesium when it gets going...........rrrrrrrr!

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from lifefloat:

At least that VW didn't burn on the side of the freeway............as so many have. And that magnesium when it gets going...........rrrrrrrr!

I have seen a fair share torch because people put the fuel filter inside the engine compartment… big no-no.

I do pucker up a bit when I do DP motor swaps into older gen VWs…. It requires shaving the inside of the bell housing on the tranny just a bit. Slow and steady with a rotary and grinding bit do the trick, but yeah, the extinguisher is near by.

#35 2 years ago

I have Pinsiders and friends reaching out to pick up machines here locally (for a small fee), wiring me the money. I inspect and pick up the machine and STI picks it up from my home. Is there maybe is someone locally there who you can trust?

#36 2 years ago

Too many people lined up with cash in this market to compete with…anything else.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I have seen a fair share torch because people put the fuel filter inside the engine compartment… big no-no.

I do pucker up a bit when I do DP motor swaps into older gen VWs…. It requires shaving the inside of the bell housing on the tranny just a bit. Slow and steady with a rotary and grinding bit do the trick, but yeah, the extinguisher is near by

Air cooled motors all have their do's and don'ts................

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bumper:

I have Pinsiders and friends reaching out to pick up machines here locally (for a small fee), wiring me the money. I inspect and pick up the machine and STI picks it up from my home. Is there maybe is someone locally there who you can trust?

This is the kinda stuff that makes me happy to be a part of this community

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Too many people lined up with cash in this market to compete with…anything else.

You are correct in saying this.

I was just looking for a safe and sound method of moving funds.

In the end...............

The seller and I have agreed to cash on the glass on this transaction as of me typing this.

A lot of that decision making process was a result of the feedback from all who participated in this thread. Thank you all for your thoughts.

It involves more leg work out of me in the sense that yes..................I am flying to Oregon next week........but it also makes a physical connection to the task at hand that a digital connection will never quite match..............ever

No adventure behind the one's and zero's

Plenty of adventure ahead on this trip I'm sure.

Any games for sale in the Medford area? wtf might as well ask.

As well, Anybody need anything moved from West to East that might be easily incorporated into this load?

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from lifefloat:

So. Let me open by saying this, I have learned a lot on this site in the last couple of years. Not all of it pinball related. The best non-pinball thing so far? Vid's tips on making good popcorn. Yep. That kind of info is here. And as always, Vid was spot on.
    I learned about Escrow.com here. It works great. Used it to buy my BKSOR. Flawless transaction.
    Now I'm wanting to buy this vehicle in Oregon. Seller seems like a super cool guy. He doesn't own any pinball machines, nor did he mention playing any, but he seems legit regardless. Vehicle asking price is 27K. I'm not just gonna send someone 27K on a wire. Or Paypal. Or a cashier's check.
    I told him about Pinside. I told him how a lot of us will use Escrow.com when you can't go cash on the glass. He is very hesitant about it. Like he thinks I'm gonna scam him. I honestly think this guy is legit. He actually seems kind of cool. Any suggestions on how I assure this guy I'm wanting to use Escrow to protect both of us? He thinks I might just accept the car and keep the money. I told him there is an inspection period and once it times out the money is released to him.
    Anyway................I don't have the time to fly to Oregon to hand someone a cashier's check but it seems like that may be my only route if I can't convince this guy that Escrow.com is legit.
    Any suggestions from the crowd here are appreciated.

In 2009 I was looking to buy a 1 of 17 Mustang Shelby GT-H 5 speed manual car from a Hertz executive in Oklahoma City. I wanted the car bad so I did my research and my back ground checks and I sent this executive $65,000 US dollars from a foreign country (Canada). I pretty much had zero recourse if the deal went bad but I booked my flight my flight to Oklahoma City, OK, I shit my pants, but the Hertz executive met me as per our agreement and I picked up the car and drove it Las Vegas for a short stop over until I could bring the car home to Alberta, Canada.

In 2007 I bought a 68 Shelby GT500 from a dealership in South Carolina. I did my homework on the dealership and on all the details of the car. I shipped them $120,000 US dollars and they shipped the car to me in Shelby, Montana where I picked up the car and drove it home to my house in Alberta.

In 2012 I bought a 1993 Mustang 5.0 from a lady in Tacoma, Washington. I drove to Tacoma on December 28th with $12,500 US cash to buy this car and when I got to the sellers house I was greeted by the sellers son who happened to be carrying a side arm (another story I believe I've told somewhere on Pinside). Short of the long is the sellers son was just looking out for his mom and that's why he greeted this foreigner the way he did. Anyway, in the end we were all friends and I did buy the car and no shots were fired . After I bought the car on my December trip, I put it in storage and I flew out in the summer of 2013 to pick it up and drove it back to my house in Alberta.

What's my advice? Talk to the seller, use your intuition and go with your gut. It's always worked out for me in all my car purchases. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it, there's another one right around the corner. But seriously, You not willing to deliver $27,000 for a car you "apparently" want? Don't do it then! You're not gonna loose a cent, I promise you.

QSS

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

What's my advice? Talk to the seller, use your intuition and go with your gut.

Amazing adventures

Thanks for sharing this

I go with my gut as well

it's just a touch weirder and weirder this world in the current date of 2022. Lots of mischief out there.

I like your advice though..........you don't lose a cent on the deal you don't do to paraphrase what you said.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from lifefloat:

Amazing adventures
    .you don't lose a cent on the deal you don't do ......

100% true.

QSS

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from lifefloat:

Uship. quoted price there to here $2700 car hauler

Quoted from lifefloat:

I suppose you hire the best shipping you can and cross fingers.

Uship is the best shipping you can find? Come on. Did you not read the stolen TMNT thread? Uship literally doesn't even know who they connect you with.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alert-stolen-pinball-tmnt

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Uship is the best shipping you can find? Come on. Did you not read the stolen TMNT thread? Uship literally doesn't even know who they connect you with.

I've got a week now to work with this..............I'll do better. perhaps

Open for suggestions

And yes......I did read the TMNT thread........seems like that the shipper who showed up was in an over painted U-Haul truck or something........I can't remember exactly but they were straight up meth heads.

#45 2 years ago

I've used Uship for vehicles before.............no problems.......won't go with the cheapest quote is my best approach to the unknown

#46 2 years ago

I know you say escrow.com protects both parties but I’m guessing,from the seller’s point of view, a cashier’s check or wire gives him all the protection he needs. Worrying about the protection of the buyer is probably not on the top of his priority list.
    With that said, take a quick flight out, meet the car carrier that day, give the seller the check and then fly back that day. Easy peezy lemon squeezy.
    Good Luck! That’s a cool vehicle.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

I know you say escrow.com protects both parties but I’m guessing,from the seller’s point of view, a cashier’s check or wire gives him all the protection he needs. Worrying about the protection of the buyer is probably not on the top of his priority list.
    With that said, take a quick flight out, meet the car carrier that day, give the seller the check and then fly back that day. Easy peezy lemon squeezy.

This is exactly what we have decided to do the seller and I

Although wtf if I'm flying that many miles I'll stick around a day or so and call it a mini vacation.

"Easy peezy lemon squeezy" I like that..........

Lots of moving parts in any operation where you rely on others ...............It'll gel I'm sure. But it is work.........to a degree

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

and thanks..........i appreciate it

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from manadams:

Most certainly. I bought a Dell monitor on Mercari, paying right away. Sellers need to ship fast and he wasn't shipping. He said he was waiting for payment. I sent screenshots of the payment. Finally I contacted Mercari. They hold your money until the item ships and feedback is give. If buyer doesn't leave feedback in a few days Mercari automatically leaves the positive feedback. This guy couldn't handle that and cancelled the $80 monitor.

Saved me $20 bucks because then one popped up on eBay for $60.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hesitant-sellerme-the-buyer-wants-escrowcom?hl=hawks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.