(Topic ID: 243824)

Here we go again PayPal friends n family

By tp

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Here we go again PayPal friends n family”

• Yes 21 votes
      16%
    • No 70 votes
      55%
    • I'd do it 37 votes
      29%

(128 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).JPG
    There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

So I'll cut straight to the chase. Verified pinsider wants to pick up a machine tomorrow memorial day. When he's here he wants to pay me via paypal friends and family. He's verified and has 3 great reviews(100%positive) on pinside sales. Been a member since 2014 but no forum posts. Feel free to chime in and if your that pinsider even better. My question. Anyway for me to get screwed?

#2 4 years ago

Maybe

#4 4 years ago

#5 4 years ago

No reason not to pay cash when picking up in person unless one of you is afraid of being jumped and robbed by the other. Yes, you could get screwed with paypal friends and family.

If shipping, use escrow.com

End of story.

#6 4 years ago

This is just my perspective and knowledge:You can't get screwed via Paypal Friends and Family. He has no way of doing a complaint as that transaction is not a commercial transaction.

Why would he do this is questionable though...

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Code:

Why would he do this is questionable though...

Holiday weekend cant turn bank funds into cash.

#8 4 years ago

One reason may be the bank is closed and he can’t withdraw enough cash at a tome through an ATM.

Another reason could be he’s sitting on a bunch of paypal funds and wants to use it up.

#9 4 years ago

Yes , don't do it. Not worth the risk.

#10 4 years ago

If it was a stolen credit card it could come back IMO.

I actually like PayPal and use it often. I’m not crazy about it unless I am shipping to a confirmed address and get shipping documents confirming receipt. PayPal requires this for purchases over $250, at least when used in the traditional way.

In most cases I prefer to go normal PayPal route as they provide protection for the buyer and seller. With FnF, PayPal isn’t making anything, if something goes wrong they will not be there in anyway to help you out.

Since it’s a local pickup I would prefer cash, unless I really trusted the person.

#11 4 years ago

He wants to pay with credit card via PayPal because he does not have the cash.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

I would delay the pickup and he then has time to get the cash.

#13 4 years ago

Just have them sign a receipt saying all sales are final

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

So I'll cut straight to the chase. Verified pinsider wants to pick up a machine tomorrow memorial day. When he's here he wants to pay me via paypal friends and family. He's verified and has 3 great reviews(100%positive) on pinside sales. Been a member since 2014 but no forum posts. Feel free to chime in and if your that pinsider even better. My question. Anyway for me to get screwed?

Yes, you are still subject to a credit card charge back. Take a deposit via PayPal to hold the game until Tuesday. Get the full amount in cash and refund the deposit via PayPal.

#15 4 years ago

Cash on glass, and if you have to , get tbe security check marker.

#16 4 years ago

Has positive reviews from who? Long standing and active members?

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

Has positive reviews from who? Long standing and active members?

Breaking_Dad for 1

#18 4 years ago

When buyer arrives, have them login and show you their PayPal account info verifying the funds were supplied via bank account vs. credit card. Can’t charge back a bank account I think?

#19 4 years ago

Why take the risk?

Like others have said, small deposit via PayPal to hold it. Then cash for the rest when the banks are open.

#20 4 years ago

I’ve payed and received money via F&F with established members and never had a problem. It also costs extra to use a CC so incentive is there to use bank account as long as you both trust each other.

#21 4 years ago

If you don't know him well... Cash on the glass. If he is nervous about things (who could blame him), have him bring a deposit instead. Otherwise, thanks for your interest.

I consider this cut and dry. I don't need a third party (PayPal) there to mess up the transaction. Have your security cameras rolling on that spot, and capture him paying, and taking the game. Done, and thanks, nice to meet you. I don't ever understand how it isn't this simple. If he is still nervous, have him bring a friend, but the machine leaves after you lay the cash on the glass.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

I had the same experience. Did a little cash and the rest PayPal. As long as they have good feedback I say go for it. Of course there have been people screwed over by a scam, use your discretion and ultimately it’s up to you.

#23 4 years ago

In this situation i would just tell him cash unless ive done business with them before. Too risky. Pinball is hot right now and im sure youll find another buyer for your game if he walks.

#24 4 years ago

The fact that you are asking about paypal on pinside is making your nervous. I have bought machines from other pinsiders and locked in a deposit with paypal (example $200), but brought cash to pay the balance. Even when I do cash on large transactions besides pinball machines, I have my wife recount it and use a counterfeit marker and check all the bills if I don't know the person most of the time. I also like to talk on the phone and get a vibe for the person. Good luck, but I would ask for cash.

#25 4 years ago

LOL. My receipt suggestion seems to be very unpopular.

#26 4 years ago

No PayPal for large payments. Zelle is a better choice, but daily amounts are limited. Cash is king.

#27 4 years ago

Why can’t he do an e transfer?

In person he should be bringing cash though. Bank closed not an excuse because he could have picked it up this past week.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

Wait until the next day then. Cash is king. I would not take the risk. If buyer is genuine, he/she will come up with the cash.

#29 4 years ago

Too many risky variables.

When in doubt....

#30 4 years ago

If he’s coming in person he can bring cash. Or send you a PayPal deposit and come next week.

#31 4 years ago

How far away from you is he?

#32 4 years ago

Having just had to do this, I am super grateful to a certain Pinsider who trusted me to do a bank transfer for this. Those can’t come back. But your bank will usually hold the funds until the next business day, and I believe my bank didn’t even send the request until that day too.

PP friends and family may have a limit, Zelle SUCKS, and there’s a reason people want cash. He should have done his research, just as I should have.

My recommendation is to ask him to post the details (not the amount), who he is, what happened, why he’s asking to do FF and have some of his buddies back him up publicly.

#33 4 years ago

I have sold two via pp gift. I just went with my gut with the buyers each time. If you or others you know dont know him cash only.

#34 4 years ago

I take PayPal payments when selling items. However, I don’t mess with PayPal for anything over $500 with F+F. It’s not impossible for it to come back but it is unlikely. Multiples of a thousand and it’s cash only to me.

#35 4 years ago

Dammit! Stop abusing friends and family. If this continues we will all lose fiends and family...

#36 4 years ago

I don’t care either way. It can vanish and I would just go to taking credit cards only for items 500 and less.

#37 4 years ago

Here we go again on our own
    Takin’ PayPal from dudes we never known!

Nigerian grifters and deals that get ya boned!

Cause you didn’t read Vid’s guide!!
    Can’t let these PayPal overtures slide!

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Having just had to do this, I am super grateful to a certain Pinsider who trusted me to do a bank transfer for this. Those can’t come back. But your bank will usually hold the funds until the next business day, and I believe my bank didn’t even send the request until that day too.
    PP friends and family may have a limit, Zelle SUCKS, and there’s a reason people want cash. He should have done his research, just as I should have.
    My recommendation is to ask him to post the details (not the amount), who he is, what happened, why he’s asking to do FF and have some of his buddies back him up publicly.

What's wrong with Zelle?

#39 4 years ago

Sounds like the situation I’m in right now. I had lined up to sell a pin on Saturday and was going to use the funds to buy a pin tomorrow. Sale fell through and I’ve been scrambling to trying to scrape together as much cash as I possibly can, but the bank is closed and we have low ATM limits that can’t be changed with out talking to a teller. I was able to get about 85%of the cash but shamefully begged to PayPal the rest. I’m sympathetic, but understand your concern.

I also offered to PayPal F&F the 15% funds before I even see the machine. That way it kind of holds us both accountable.

#40 4 years ago

Is he a friend or family?

Can you stand to lose the thousands of Dollar$?

#41 4 years ago

You guys can't just email the money to each other in the US? (Interact e-transfer)

The funds are instant and its bank-to-bank.

#42 4 years ago

I use paypal all the time. To buy and sell. Not sure why everyone hates it so much. Never had a problem.

#43 4 years ago

you could also use Venmo. its easy and immediate

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

How far away from you is he?

161 miles.
    I'm 99% convinced he's legit, unless someone's using his identity.

#45 4 years ago

Electronic direct bank transfer is as good as cash on the glass. If the buyer can pay by PayPal FnF, then he/she can definitely pay by direct bank transfer online. If the buyer can’t, then something ain’t adding up.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Code:

This is just my perspective and knowledge:You can't get screwed via Paypal Friends and Family.

Yes you can.

He can have the local bank the funds were drawn on reverse the transaction.

#47 4 years ago

a) this is like stealing money from PP. You are not a friend and family and are using this service to circumvent a fee for a sale which this is. If you think it's ok to go to Chipotle and ask for a (free) water cup and then fill it with soft drink that's the same principle.

b) cash is best (usual and customary) you are trying to go against usual and customary for the benefit of the buyer (not you).

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

161 miles.
    I'm 99% convinced he's legit, unless someone's using his identity.

Only 161 miles, that's nothing, he can come anytime after he has the cash. Get the deposit, and give him some time to come with the cash. Simple

#49 4 years ago

Put ‘em on the glass! The $100’s that is!

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

Electronic direct bank transfer is as good as cash on the glass. If the buyer can pay by PayPal FnF, then he/she can definitely pay by direct bank transfer online. If the buyer can’t, then something ain’t adding up.

Not really. I have no clue what electronic direct bank transfer is.

Quoted from tp:

Would be in the same boat. Just sold a pin to a buyer (I've dealt with before) that had to use PP F&F. Now I have a large some of PP and no cash.

There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/here-we-go-again-paypal-friends-n-family?hl=pindoctor82 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.