AAAB8D9D-D314-4446-9761-AE0C26A7C029 (resized).jpeg
00DCEBE7-17EC-45A3-8C22-9D2B07E93002 (resized).jpeg
3308EDB7-4F1B-44DE-924F-1FAF4AA029E7 (resized).jpeg
51113C64-44D8-460E-BFA7-DFF1323F634D (resized).jpeg
IMG_6568 (resized).jpg
20190106_090900 (resized).jpg
IMG_6564 (resized).jpg
IMG_6567 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#169 5 years ago

I’ll just say that announcing this on the Friday after thanksgiving was probably a good move.

I’m sure this game will get to the 100 intended customers through whatever channels primus stuff gets to primus die Hards. Looks great and surely a labor of love for those involved.

And with the balance of Whoa Nellie parts finally exhausted (?), perhaps our long international nightmare is over.

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I think it's cool to have a "stock" game you can re-theme for short runs.
But it makes you wonder... Just how bad were Whoah Nelli sales?

I’ve heard that the designers made under $1 in royalties originally.

That being said, it’s probably been a success as a contract game. It’s all art and sound - they spend zero resources or money on rules (the same as nellie) and animations (there aren’t any!) so it’s the perfect contract machine aimed at non-pinheads. And of course these games are already paid for on Stern’s end.

I’ve got a birthday coming up so I’m looking into how much I’ll have to pay Stern to make 100 Crazy Levi pinball machines. Anybody interested in buying one?

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Are the parts really cheaper for Nellie than they would be for a Dragonfist? By how much if so? Serious question.

We don’t know the actual costs of materials that make up these two playfields but it’s irrelevant.

Stern spent zero $ and time on the primus playfield layout and rules design. So it was significantly cheaper than “reskining” any other existing game.

Redoing Dragonfist or any other game would have been a complete waste of time, resources and money and would have run counter to Stern’s goals of staying in business and making money.

#204 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

That’s strike 2 (this and Beatles).
I don’t get why Stern gets distracted with these low margin, niche crap.
Stay focused on your business plan. Munsters next will make you shit load more money. Also, they don’t need this filler crap for their lines - they have plenty of previous machines/ orders they are still making.
Also, spend a few minutes to finish code - you will get more long term, happier customers.

There’s the pinside I know and love!

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Hmm, interesting but I partially disagree. I don’t think we are too far off though.
So, I totally get Stern going back to the well on the canned Nellie design and rules. Easy layout for them to work with and slap new art and sounds on and “boom!” Instant game with no expenditures. They did it for PBR and now Primis. Great.
My thought would be if Stern wants a design to be a canned design for games like Nellie, PBR, and Primus...do it with an 80’s design and not a early 60’s design. Go ahead and put a little effort to redo Stars or something and make it the skin and rule set available for contract games moving forward.
People, generally, like the 80’s games more than the 60’s game. They play better. They are more likely to grow the hobby by giving people a better expierence. Stern can keep using the same one over and over again...they just need to make their canned re-design and rule set once.
Anyway, I get the cost and ease thing of just keep redoing Nellie...but jeez, give people a better gaming expierence with a 80’s canned layout and it might help bring more people into pinball than than the unimaginative early 60’s Nellie layout single player flat game...

You need to take this up with primus, as they surely decided the budget and all of the other paremeters of the project

The answer to “how can you do this the cheapest” most certainly was “this old school game right here.”

Primus doesn’t care about gaming experience or adding cost to their vanity project of 100 games, all of which they are buying and reselling.

If they did, they would have gone with a different game.

The customer here isn’t you, or operators. It’s primus. Just like the customer for Pabst was Pabst and Supreme for Supreme. I don’t see why it’s so hard for you guys to understand this, over and over again.

#222 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

But for all we know they were given a menu of just one game design: “If you want us to do a private label game for you Primus, this is the one we will do” as “it truly won’t take any sales away from other offerings”.
Anyway, I suppose it all comes back to cost and effort. Regardless of what might be preferred by more people, the Nellie design is the one they had ready to go now so this is what we get. All is fine, I’d certainly rather have this game exist then no game.

Well I’ve been talking with stern and here’s how it works.

I want 100 crazy Levi pinball machines. They present me with options and costs.

Since I think this game will sell on art and theme only, I wanted the absolute cheapest options. They brought me spider man home and whoa Nellie.

Nellie is the cheaper of the two since there’s no dmd.

I asked them about redesigning and retheming star gazer or quicksilver (or anything fancier) but the costs were way higher than what I’m willing to budget for the project. Especially since I’m responsible for buying all 100 of them up front.

So there you go. If you are willing to spend what it takes, Stern will build anything for you on contract. But I thought I should keep it simple and as cheap as possible since it’s a niche market.

#251 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I’m just hoping they change the “cheap to make contract game layout of choice” from WNBJM to Stars or Meteor. Surely those would be even cheaper to make. Use the same cabinet as WNBJM. Themed whatever. Nice art. Keep rehashing forever. Everyone’s happy.

Yeah, because re-engineering layouts with multiple flippers and drop target banks is cheaper than using a layout with two flippers and a bunch of stand ups that already exists.

You guys aren’t even trying to make any sense any more.

#259 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I wouldn’t say zero appreciation, games such as Grand Prix, Target Alpha and Centigrade are the bees knees. This Nellie layout is fairly simple from a 70’s EM perspective...plenty of primarily em guys feel Nellie is lacking...heck, it’s a single player so who wouldn’t want more?
Anyway, crazylevi says Primus felt this game would sell on art alone so who gives a crap about anything else, and he and Stern clearly share the this same “who gives a crap” vision for Pinball. Doesn’t mean we can’t wish Stern aspired for more to protect and expand their brand...but hey, who gives a crap...if Stern doesn’t care about the intigrety of their brand and making a product that plays as good as it looks then why should you.

You really need to write an angry letter to Primus. I have gift-wrapped
The point and hand-delivered it to you and still continue to completely miss it.

It makes zero sense to accuse stern of compromising their “intigrety” for giving their customer, Primus inc., what they want. Stern sold 100 pinball machines to Primus, and their customer is presumably satisfied with it even if you aren’t.

This product is EXACTLY what Primus wanted, requested, ordered, and bought, so if you don’t like it and think they should have spent tens of thousands of dollars (probably understating that additional cost) more on it to make a “better game” you should take it up with them.

#280 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The “integrity of their brand” is a different thing from their integrity. A company should constantly strive to put a top flight product into commerce and should always be expanding their market.

And that’s exactly what they are doing.

They just expanded their market to primus, who just bought 100 games from them. Primus was so happy with the game they bought every single one produced.

Has any other manufacturer as successfully expanded their customer base this year? Name one other manufacturers that just sold 100 pinball machines to a rock band this week.

#283 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

And what pinball company is doing that exactly?

Stern. In the last couple of years they have sold hundreds of machines to Supreme, Pabst, and primus. None of these markets were previously being tapped by pinball companies.

Spooky is also expanding the pinball market, having served the previously Uncatered to corporate pizza chain market.

All of this represents an unprecedented expansion of the pinball market. I’m impressed!

#285 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

LOL, now you are just being intentionally obtuse. It’s fine that Stern used this and I get they went with the canned layout they had ready and that said canned layout was cheaper than making an all new layout. The point that many wish/desire Stern would have a different canned layout based on an 80’s game ready for contract manufacturing purposes is not something that anyone needs to reach out to Primus over. We are simply saying Stern should have more options readily available.
Also, you are not inside the room with Primus and Stern on their negotiations Levi so you don’t know the discussion. You are simply conjecturing something that you think makes sense. For all you know Stern said, “hey Primus, we will do a botique game for you, but we simply can’t have it be something our regular customers would buy as that would cannibalize our future game sales, so you get this layout for your 100 games or you take your 100 game order elsewhere.”
You can keep saying Primus got exactly what they wanted but for all you know they merely got something that was borderline acceptable to them. None of us know or are likely to know.

Lol x 2

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:

If pinside ran Stern they’d be out of business in a month.

Congrats to Stern on yet another successful project, and instantly selling out your entire run of Primus games.

I’ll leave it to others to explain why it would have been smarter for Stern to risk the loss of tens of thousands of dollars than to execute this project exactly as they did.

#323 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Primus is certainly based on an EM style playfield, the similarities probably stop there though. The Beatles is not based on an EM and doesn't really resemble one in anyway including gameplay.

Sizeable segment of pinball newbies think if a game doesn’t have ramps and multiball its “an EM.”

Even if it has a big color LCD screen and a digital soundtrack.

#330 5 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Huh, maybe i should reskin my Big Injun into U2/Nikki Minaj/other music star and sell it for some sweet huge piles of dolares.

If you think you can make 100 of them in a couple of days like Stern is going to do, at a price point that works for your customer (u2, Nikki minaj/other music star) you should go right ahead and do that.

With Stern expanding the pinball market with these contract jobs, maybe they’ll go for it!

#333 5 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Why do they not retheme fireball?
Zipper flippers alone would be cool. Soinning disk even better. Maybe an animated back box! Add a ball?
If you are going to make a throwback at least integrated the best things about that era!

Because “they” have been out of business for 20 years and Stern doesn’t own the rights?

I mean, there’s like 20 other good reasons but that’s the first thing that popped into my noggin.

#338 5 years ago
Quoted from zombyetilicious:

If it’s not for you, say so - but don’t speculate and piss all over the effort and turmoil it took to get made... Stern didn’t make the choices on this project - the band did... .

There you have it folks.

Please address all angry letters and suggestions that this game should be stargazer to Les Claypool and primus. Yeah

Thanks confirming what some of us have been saying and pulling back the veil a little bit.

#386 5 years ago

It would be fun if just for one day we all had to read comments from 15 idiots criticizing how we do our day jobs, completely missing the point of whatever projects we are involved in at work, and generally pursuing conspiracy theories about how and why we do our job rather than accepting the most logical and simplest explanations.

I bet most of us would take it personally. People here go out of their way to completely misrepresent and misunderstand what these people do and why they do it.

It would be kind of funny. I can only imagine the Shit they’d say about us. It would be like when Seinfeld showed up at that heckler’s office job to yell at her.

#427 5 years ago

This thing will be sold out at 11:03 just due to 100 pinsiders seeing if they can put one in their cart.

We'll have to check back at noon to see if it's really sold out.

#431 5 years ago

32 left according to Primus.

If only they had reskinned Quicksilver they may have sold more!

#435 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Song list anywhere?
Or do I just give them $8k and see when it arrives?

Primus songs all kinda sound the same so what's the problem.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Looks like the Whoa Nellie layout is Sterns go to layout for low production commercial tie in games. Add new artwork, do a basic amount of code tweaks and repeat. The artwork looks great from Zombieyeti, it's just a shame it's on a played out layout.
This game makes Beatles look loaded and a much better "value" at $8k...

We really could have used this unique and previously unconsidered hot take a week ago when this was announced!

It's too late for those of us who have already bought a few. Damn you Panzer!!!

#438 5 years ago

That was just me sticking 50 in my cart. We'll have to wait a little while to see the real numbers.

#443 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Maybe you'll get your Megan Trainer pin some day.

I also would have accepted "maroon 5" or "nickelback."

I have no idea who Megan Trainer is though.

My question to you is this: If you are such a huge Primus fan does it really matter which 13 songs are in the game? He who hesitates will not get his Primus game.

Quoted from gliebig:

I was SO AMPED up for this. Why did they have to use this game as the reskin?????????????? Dammit.

Take it up with Primus. This was entirely their choice.

Showing 10 units left at 11:45. I'm guessing this is close to accurate. Guess the intended audience for this game (Primus fans) are ok with the design choices the band made.

#445 5 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Just think, this very minute on a Primus forum, some Alaskan uberfan is probably roasting the band due to pins only being deliverable to the contiguous united states.

"Les Claypool only cares about the contiguous US and is laughing at all of us while taking a bath in our cash! The last concert poster cash grab was bad enough, this is beyond the pale!!! They continue to play us for suckers!

Uh...also if I buy one can somebody pick it up and have it shipped to me?"

#447 5 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

100 * 10k max? Stern rolls in our cash. How much you think Primus gets - 10% 20%???
\\

Like many, you are either unable or unwilling to understand this project and how contract jobs work, despite it being explained to you many, many times.

Stern is "rolling" in Primus' cash, not "ours," at least as it pertains to this project.

#449 5 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Few more than that [quoted image]

I clicked on their site at exactly 12:25 and they were completely sold out!!!

#456 5 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

There are no modes or animations to tie in with songs, so it would be a transparent swap in Pinball Browser. Not like changing songs in something like Maiden where it breaks the integration.

If I buy one of these games, can you make it so all 13 songs are "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver?"

I'll buy you lunch!

#463 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

In light of a recent industry guy who got offended because people didn't like this re-theme... let me tell you a story.
I remember being disappointed when the Beatles game was shown....
I remember voicing my disappointment.
I remember smug people telling me "You know, don't be disappointed. This game wasn't meant for you."

First they rethemed a home game for Supreme, and sold it for $10,000.
But I did not protest, as I am old and do not understand Supreme.

Then, they rethemed Nellie into Pabst for $7,000,
but I did not protest, as I do not like disgusting beer.

Next, they spruced up Seawitch for an $8000 Beatles game.
But I did not protest, as I'm a Stones guy.

But then they made an $8,000 Primus game.
And there's was nobody left to protest. Cause we were all sick of complaining.

#467 5 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

how do you see what's left?

Place 70 of 'em in your cart and find out!

Looks like about 50 have sold. I wonder what Primus' break even point is.

#502 5 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

His show wasn’t canceled was it?

No I don't believe so. They ended it by choice.

It happens! Ted Danson pulled the plug on Cheers.

Anyway better hurry up on those Primus buys. They are down to 8 left!

#508 5 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

There are officially 8 games remaining now, 24 hours after Monday public sale.

Well if Primus had raised the budget and retail price thousands of dollars per game so they could make a few Pinsiders happy with a rethemed Stars game I'm sure they'd have sold faster.

#510 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

What if they contracted through Spooky and made a good game.?

Then they would have contracted through Spooky and made a good game. Maybe even one as good as their previous contract jobs, Dominos or Jetsons!

No idea what the costs would have been, or if Spooky would have even been able to take on the project, or if they could have procured the services of Zombie yeti, which was apparently the most important thing for the customer, Primus. We also don't know if Spooky could have churned out 100 of them in the two days that it took Stern to run this entire lot of 100 games.

I guess we'll never know.

#514 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I'd take a primus themed jetsons or dominos with this artwork 100xs over whoe nellie.

Fascinating!

Quoted from o-din:

All this brings up an interesting question. If you contract a game thru Stern, how many different layouts are available?

All evidence right now points toward Spiderman Home and Whoa Nellie as the two available contract base games. But who knows, maybe anything in production is fair game if you are willing to spend enough money! Only one way to find out.

#551 5 years ago

Indeed!

Maybe primus wanted to mitigate some risk and sold a handful at a discount bulk.

#561 5 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Saw Primus July 5 1994. They opened for Pink Floyd in Toronto for the division Bell tour.
It was a fantastic show.

They did?!

That's amazing. I saw that show twice that year in Clemson and RFK Stadium and no opener.

2 weeks later
#590 5 years ago

Wait a second, I was told by numerous idiots that "why is Stern wasting time distracting itself making hundreds of thousands of dollars on one-offs like Primus when it's just delaying a bunch of other pins I don't want and will complain about endlessly anyway."

So you mean Stern runs a real pinball factory that can make at least TWO games at once?!

Bizarre.

Also I hate Munsters for some reason. Shoulda been made by Deep Root or JJP!!! Just look at those pics smdh.

1 week later
1 week later
#637 5 years ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

After eight or so hours of playing this machine i must say i do enjoy it 10x more than i thought i would. Its a really fun game imo. I added "cheater-flippers" but they have a benifit of hitting the ball on it's equator and less stress to the machine. No added ball spinning.
The original flipper sits up higher in the machine from my pic, making the angle of flipper-to-ball kinda shitty. The rubber constantly forces ball into the table and also bad stress in the flipper itself. Ball ends up spinning as well.
No wonder they break when ball is hustling down and you smack it like a baseball bat with the flipper. POP...broken flipper at the lame tack-welds.
No big deal and easy to replace, but one would have thought that by now humans could have figured out how to make a forking flipper by now. Right?
[quoted image]

Just putting a double rubber on those stock small flippers would probably work too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/here-they-come-primus-pinball?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.