AAAB8D9D-D314-4446-9761-AE0C26A7C029 (resized).jpeg
00DCEBE7-17EC-45A3-8C22-9D2B07E93002 (resized).jpeg
3308EDB7-4F1B-44DE-924F-1FAF4AA029E7 (resized).jpeg
51113C64-44D8-460E-BFA7-DFF1323F634D (resized).jpeg
IMG_6568 (resized).jpg
20190106_090900 (resized).jpg
IMG_6564 (resized).jpg
IMG_6567 (resized).jpg
There are 724 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 15.
#351 5 years ago

Me and Franchi had a good laugh on this one ha
20181028_143202 (resized).jpg20181028_143202 (resized).jpg

#352 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If you were up till 4 am playing Madden football, you might be a little cranky too.

Console games from the EM guy. What has the world come to.

The LSU vs Texas A&M games was long enough to make me cranky though.

#353 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

just the WNBJM layout.

Sure. We played 10 games of Pit Stop last night all the time laughing about how bad that one is.

#354 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I’m begging you to drop your victim complex. No one even remotely criticizes you. Everyone loves your art. People here worship you & are thankful for everything you do.
You’ve done your job, now it’s a product. We are customers. Game customers have opinions on $60 games. Customers will have opinions on an $8000 game. There’s literally nothing wrong with that.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Yes! I have a complex... like a little boy that wants to see the demise of every stern pin - wonderful compliment! Thank you!

... I did try to explain WHY I will be defensive.

As I said Opinions are fine - it’s the lack of understanding and respect for the teams efforts when the facts aren’t reality that I take issue with.

Stern was contracted to build this.

Not one person at stern phones it in btw - they work weekends for a year so you can level their thousands of hours of effort in a single dismissive impulsive comment...

Complaining about cost & value are fine when it’s based on facts and in those in the actual reality... 90% of complaints here miss the entire point and paint this as a cash grab...

#355 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Console games from the EM guy. What has the world come to.

To be fair it was Madden 93 on a Sega.

#356 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

To be fair it was Madden 93 on a Sega.

You sure that wasn't tecmo bowl? If so Marcus Allen and Bo Jackson all day.

#357 5 years ago
Quoted from zombyetilicious:

I read a long time ago that pinball people wanted better art and new ideas... I’ve personally done my damndest to push wherever and however I can within the reality that exists ...and it hasn’t been easy or remotely enjoyable all of the time... but I continued with the naive idea that it would be appreciated and might even make a dent in expanding the scope of what pinball can be in this time.

Game looks gorgeous. To me at least the 'better art' part of the equation has definitely been fulfilled not only on this title, but just having you in the hobby in general. I hope you feel appreciated and not just frustrated, because you've earned lots of props, and the weird and rough journey that got you to Stern really did improve the hobby. No hyperbole there.

But let's be real, the 'new ideas' part isn't even remotely there on this. Woah Nellie is a recycled layout to begin with. My friend owns the original conversion Greg and Dennis made, Woah Nellie #1, I've played it. I'm aware of what changed from Continental Cafe to the EM prototype to the digital Stern commercial version, and it's not some amazing transformation into new thinking. It's a basic ass game with old ideas that's cute and fun for what it is, and that's it. Sorry. Even the digital score reel has already been done before Stern by hobbyists.

Then it got reskinned into a freaking beer commercial, and that was hilarious in its own way, but kind of a sad indictment of how bad Woah Nellie did. If anyone has any illusions about it Stern utterly fucked Dennis on Woah Nellie. All these sad "wah wah that's business!" posts can eat shit really, I don't want to hear anything about poor Stern in this thread. The legacy of that game is tarnished and shitty, and the way they keep Weekend At Bernie's-ing the corpse is mostly just sad. I hope he's seeing more than pennies for these, but I haven't spoken to him about it since before Pabst, so I have no idea if he's getting a dime for any of this. If you think he was happy about how the original game and deal worked out think again though.

I love Primus, been a fan since 1991, they were a local band, and Sailing the Seas was a big deal for us when it came out. Super cool that they got a game, and with some killer art that really represents their style and history. Knocked it out of the park, great work. Seriously, looks awesome!

It's also, from a *game* standpoint, a lame reskin of a beer game that was a tacky boob game that was a frankensteined woodrail that Stern fucked the designer over on. So yeah, "new ideas" ain't it, and don't be mad that people aren't dumb and can see that. If you treat this like one bad ass concert poster collectible then it's all good, killer work, props to you. If you look at this as pinball, which is about playing games, and not jerking off over limited editions and not caring about the actual gameplay then it's a wet fart. Don't ask us to sniff it and call it roses.

#358 5 years ago

Please reread my post - I don’t take the attacks as personal on my work - I’m appreciative of all that support my work... I’m defending the project (which includes my work but it much more than me) because I believe it was done as it should be. I say this as the only guy in this room with intimate knowledge of the process and project...

I ask that you THINK about the effort of people involved before you make assumptions and dismiss away peoples efforts.. not mine - the teams

#359 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

You sure that wasn't tecmo bowl? If so Marcus Allen and Bo Jackson all day.

No it was Madden 93 and I thought I had this game dialed. That was until we started playing for money.

#360 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Game looks gorgeous. To me at least the 'better art' part of the equation has definitely been fulfilled not only on this title, but just having you in the hobby in general. I hope you feel appreciated and not just frustrated, because you've earned lots of props, and the weird and rough journey that got you to Stern really did improve the hobby. No hyperbole there.
But let's be real, the 'new ideas' part isn't even remotely there on this. Woah Nellie is a recycled layout to begin with. My friend owns the original conversion Greg and Dennis made, Woah Nellie #1, I've played it. I'm aware of what changed from Continental Cafe to the EM prototype to the digital Stern commercial version, and it's not some amazing transformation into new thinking. It's a basic ass game with old ideas that's cute and fun for what it is, and that's it. Sorry. Even the digital score reel has already been done before Stern by hobbyists.
Then it got reskinned into a freaking beer commercial, and that was hilarious in its own way, but kind of a sad indictment of how bad Woah Nellie did. If anyone has any illusions about it Stern utterly fucked Dennis on Woah Nellie. All these sad "wah wah that's business!" posts can eat shit really, I don't want to hear anything about poor Stern in this thread. The legacy of that game is tarnished and shitty, and the way they keep Weekend At Bernie's-ing the corpse is mostly just sad. I hope he's seeing more than pennies for these, but I haven't spoken to him about it since before Pabst, so I have no idea if he's getting a dime for any of this. If you think he was happy about how the original game and deal worked out think again though.
I love Primus, been a fan since 1991, they were a local band, and Sailing the Seas was a big deal for us when it came out. Super cool that they got a game, and with some killer art that really represents their style and history. Knocked it out of the park, great work. Seriously, looks awesome!
It's also, from a *game* standpoint, a lame reskin of a beer game that was a tacky boob game that was a frankensteined woodrail that Stern fucked the designer over on. So yeah, "new ideas" ain't it, and don't be mad that people aren't dumb and can see that. If you treat this like one bad ass concert poster collectible then it's all good, killer work, props to you. If you look at this as pinball, which is about playing games, and not jerking off over limited editions and not caring about the actual gameplay then it's a wet fart. Don't ask us to sniff it and call it roses.

New ideas? So there was another way to get a Primus machine made? You’re missing the point - if this succeeds as it can only exist currently THEN the message to stern is ‘hey maybe we could make a studio project here’... again, missing the point and dismissing the effort based on your disdain for stern and woah Nellie...

...and I never said hold back - I said remember people did lost sleep and time with family here - so choose your words maybe?

You can paraphrase my statements all day to make the point you wish to make - I’m exhausted by the negativity and have worked nonstop for over a year so I could revel in it...

#361 5 years ago

Jeremy, 142 people have posted in this thread. Pinside gets 5000+ users a day. Of the 142 who knows how many are critical of Stern in this thread, but obviously its a number lower than 142. Most critical posts are repeated over and over, so it seems more than it is.

You're never going to get 100% love and support on any project or from any group. Realize how small a percentage those critical voices are (even though they get a disproportionate amount of attention).

Stern makes money. Their factory produces dozens of games every day and they get bought. That is the metric.

I'm just trying to offer some perspective here.

#362 5 years ago

And on that note - I realize why no one from stern posts here or engages

I’ll stay away - but please read what I asked - it’s not about me... pinside is sort of like reading some tweets - impulse over patient reflection... I get it

Have a happy holiday everyone! Even if you think I have a complex

#363 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If you think you can make 100 of them in a couple of days like Stern is going to do, at a price point that works for your customer (u2, Nikki minaj/other music star) you should go right ahead and do that.
With Stern expanding the pinball market with these contract jobs, maybe they’ll go for it!

I am thinking a Train theme. All aboard.

#364 5 years ago

Let's just face it. They are making these games with minimum effort for maximum profit now. After all that's the American way!

I wonder how many WNBJM playfield blanks they have left.

#365 5 years ago

Aurich, rarehero, et al... my case is made...

Quoted from o-din:

Let's just face it. They are making these games with minimum effort for maximum profit now. After all that's the American way!

Thousands of hours by dozens of people made insignificant by flippant words on a forum... now reread my post... ?

And o-din I hope your job is made as insignificant by the people you respect some day.

#366 5 years ago

And o-din I hope your job is made as insignificant by the people you respect some day.

I respect the people that use a fresh patty on my hamburger. And don't serve me cold fries.

#367 5 years ago

I’ll stay away - but please read what I asked - it’s not about me... pinside is sort of like reading some tweets - impulse over patient reflection... I get it

Wow. No one insulted you or your work or had anything but positive things to say about your contribution, and then you come back with some personally insulting garbage like that? You really couldn't have said something shittier to me. Go outside or something, you're way out of line with that nonsense.

Congrats, you reinvented retheming Woah Nellie with hand drawn art for a boutique hipster theme. What an amazing new idea you have there.

1 (resized).jpeg1 (resized).jpeg

#368 5 years ago

Aurich, rarehero, et al... my case is made...

Has it?

FEE283FA-38AD-407C-A366-0D5D8A293760 (resized).jpegFEE283FA-38AD-407C-A366-0D5D8A293760 (resized).jpeg
#369 5 years ago

Tune in next time when Odin continues to troll and aurich gets offended..

#370 5 years ago

Against my better judgement...
I read a long time ago that pinball people wanted better art and new ideas... I’ve personally done my damndest to push wherever and however I can within the reality that exists ...and it hasn’t been easy or remotely enjoyable all of the time... but I continued with the naive idea that it would be appreciated and might even make a dent in expanding the scope of what pinball can be in this time. I’ve taken risks and pushed back when it wasn’t in my best interest - thinking that might have an impact, it might make things better. I haven’t asked for anything in return...
...now I am though... I ask that if you don’t understand that the people who work on pinball machines - the designers, engineers, mechanical, artists, etc all pour their heart and soul into every project that will never have the time or schedule it should have or could have - all done for an audience with little thought of the effort - and if you can’t appreciate genuine effort, risk taking, and thousands of hours by countless people with passion to make pinball, that you can either get out of this hobby - or -at the very least be courteous with your voice for the effort.
I’m not asking you to keep quiet on your opinion, but to chose your words carefully and be respectful of the effort that people have made FOR you.
This project wouldn’t and couldn’t exist in any other form. If it’s not for you, say so - but don’t speculate and piss all over the effort and turmoil it took to get made... Stern didn’t make the choices on this project - the band did... so all the stern haters, get help or go on another thread for therapy...
...anyone remember when all I did was post jokes here? Nothing but blue skies and winky smiles... I miss that guy too
I’ll leave you with this... this project was very personal for me and I care greatly for it... Primus Pinball exists despite the haters and in spite of them....
...now tear into me, kids...

It wasn't very long ago that most new releases had lame Photoshop backglasses and playfields. Many of us definitely craved a return to hand-drawn art and we finally got it with Metallica. And over the last few years, with much credit due to you and Donny, we're getting all kinds of awesome pinball art. In case you don't hear it enough, we appreciate it A LOT.

I'm sure it's difficult not to take it personally when you read comments from people bitching about your project, in this case Primus, but it's primarily some disappointment that it's a reskin, or that it's pricey, or both, not the art. You nailed it.

From theme, to art, to layout, to sound package, to rules, to price, there are so many ways to critique a pinball machine. It's nearly impossible for companies to please everyone in all categories. At least with you they've got the art covered, which is big.

#371 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Wow. No one insulted you or your work or had anything but positive things to say about your contribution, and then you come back with some personally insulting garbage like that? You really couldn't have said something shittier to me. Go outside or something, you're way out of line with that nonsense.
Congrats, you reinvented retheming Woah Nellie with hand drawn art for a boutique hipster theme. What an amazing new idea you have there.
[quoted image]

Do you remember the time when you liked pinball? You are one of the first to literally criticize everything. If pinball pisses you off so much why do you waste your time here?

#372 5 years ago

To be fair though. Gottlieb used to use the same play field layouts for as many games as the could keep selling.

#373 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

To be fair though. Gottlieb used to use the same play field layouts for as many games as the could keep selling.

CGC doesn't even go that far, they just remake the same game with some cool upgrades. Maybe I should head over there. I bet they are getting torched in that thread........

#374 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You don’t comprehend what you read, do you? Sorry to upset you man - I was making an analogy to responses on a forum

#375 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Do you remember the time when you liked pinball? You are one of the first to literally criticize everything. If pinball pisses you off so much why do you waste your time here?

Liking pinball doesn’t mandate one cheerleads every new game. I love pinball. I don’t much care for most of what’s going on in new pinball manufacturing. Both feelings can coexist.

#376 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Has it?
[quoted image]

It has - read my original point. Also a guy who calls himself ‘rarehero’ shouldn’t throw stones in glass complexes...

#377 5 years ago

You don’t comprehend what you read, do you? Are you a trump guy? Sorry to upset you man - I was making an analogy to responses on a forum

He’s anti Dongload Clump, that’s why he took offense to the comparison.

#378 5 years ago

It has - read my original point. Also a guy who calls himself ‘rarehero’ shouldn’t throw stones in glass complexes...

Rarehero is a song from Ridge Racer. No other meaning is attached to it.

It’s weird how I always praise you, yet you still think I’m your enemy.

#379 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Liking pinball doesn’t mandate one cheerleads every new game. I love pinball. I don’t much care for most of what’s going on in new pinball manufacturing. Both feelings can coexist.

You dont have to cheerlead anything. Theres just no need for the constant bashing and hate that goes on. People get so worked up over shit that doesn't matter or affect them in any way. And in most cases its stuff that they know little to nothing about. That's not directed at you, just a general statement about pinside.

#380 5 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

Tune in next time when Odin continues to troll and aurich gets offended..

I didn't think I was trolling.

I love Primus. And I think the game looks cool.

And I played WNBJM and decided it was cool for a while, and I know the production version is not an EM, but just the same it didn't really have the geometry or features or replay ability I like on some of the other EMs or even solid state games I own. Kudos for the two inch flippers though.

That's all.

#381 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

You dont have to cheerlead anything. Theres just no need for the constant bashing and hate that goes on.

There's no need to dismiss people's opinions as "bashing" and "hate". This is a hobbyist site, filled with pinball hobbyists and customers who are educated about pinball and are entitled to share their opinions, even negative ones, without being shamed for it or ganged up on by sycophants.

#382 5 years ago

Now go help get my Munsters done!!

Lunch break is over today.

LOL

#383 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

He’s anti Dongload Clump, that’s why he took offense to the comparison.

Understandable, but that comparison was pointed at Pinside in general. Aurich had to go and make it about himself, which is bogus. ZY clearly did not insult him personally.

#384 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Now go help get my Munsters done!!
Lunch break is over today.
LOL

Wrong artist.

#385 5 years ago

Politics on pinside sucks.
In before the moderator lock.

#386 5 years ago

It would be fun if just for one day we all had to read comments from 15 idiots criticizing how we do our day jobs, completely missing the point of whatever projects we are involved in at work, and generally pursuing conspiracy theories about how and why we do our job rather than accepting the most logical and simplest explanations.

I bet most of us would take it personally. People here go out of their way to completely misrepresent and misunderstand what these people do and why they do it.

It would be kind of funny. I can only imagine the Shit they’d say about us. It would be like when Seinfeld showed up at that heckler’s office job to yell at her.

#387 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There's no need to dismiss people's opinions as "bashing" and "hate". This is a hobbyist site, filled with pinball hobbyists and customers who are educated about pinball and are entitled to share their opinions, even negative ones, without being shamed for it or ganged up on by sycophants.

Like when you had your GB hate tangent were you chased everyone around telling them how it sucks. Or how no one can dislike TH without hearing from you about how wrong they are?

I have no issue with negative or critical opinions. People just go around stating them like facts and crossing lines and making things personal. Theres really no need for it. I try not to say things on here that I wouldn't say to someone's face. It's hard to do from time to time but it's a rule that pretty much always keeps me from being a giant ass for no reason.

#388 5 years ago

That is why I said go help! Vs get it done!

#389 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Like when you had your GB hate tangent were you chased everyone around telling them how it sucks. Or how no one can dislike TH without hearing from you about how wrong they are?

Re: GB. I didn’t chase anyone, but when I expressed my opinion with facts to back it up, I was chased down by the Pinside opinion police as a scapegoat even when TONS of other people expressed the same opinion.

Re: TH. Most people ARE wrong about Hobbit, haven’t played it with newer code, and are still repeating lies like the upper flipper doesn’t do anything. Correcting people with facts isn’t wrong.

So, now even in this thread - am I to be the skapegoat for non-positive consumer opinion even though the thread is full of similar sentiment?

Oh, Pinside.

#390 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Is this the same guy who left pinside after people criticised his art on Alien?

#391 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

You are one of the first to literally criticize everything.

Quoted from Aurich:

Game looks gorgeous. To me at least the 'better art' part of the equation has definitely been fulfilled not only on this title...

Doesn't sound like criticism to me.

#392 5 years ago

These are big toys that we want to spend our money on. I think the criticism stems from disappointment at not be able to buy a desired theme due to some problem, like cost, lack of features, recycled layout, etc.

When GB was revealed, it was heaped with praise. Until it turned out to have gameplay, code and playfield quality issues.

When Metallica was revealed it was also heaped with praise. It received some criticism due to the voicing but with great game play and code, it has continued to receive praise.

#393 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Re: GB. I didn’t chase anyone, but when I expressed my opinion with facts to back it up, I was chased down by the Pinside opinion police as a scapegoat even when TONS of other people expressed the same opinion.
Re: TH. Most people ARE wrong about Hobbit, haven’t played it with newer code, and are still repeating lies like the upper flipper doesn’t do anything. Correcting people with facts isn’t wrong.
So, now even in this thread - am I to be the skapegoat for non-positive consumer opinion even though the thread is full of similar sentiment?
Oh, Pinside.

Not a scapegoat at all. I think you missed my point on your post about cheerleading and hating. You do both plenty. Even still refusing to accept that someone may not like a game that you love and if they do they are wrong. Uneducated morons that you are correcting with facts.

Quoted from Jvspin:

Doesn't sound like criticism to me.

Did you even read the posts?

#394 5 years ago

This is a fantastic looking, boring and overpriced remake. Stern really showing his true colors lately. Starts to look like a company from China in 1990.

#395 5 years ago

I like pinside much more and thend to post much less shit since I started to use the "ignore" function when the Beatles "shit" hit the fan.

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FORUM!!!

Only positive words on Primus now.

(Well, inbetween all that "ignores user post"s that is.)

#396 5 years ago

I think this may be yeti's best work yet. Amazing color scheme, his passion really comes through on this project. If i had the money id buy one just to look at it.

#397 5 years ago

why do we have another profile for zombieyeti now? vs just re-activating the old profile?

#398 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It would be fun if just for one day we all had to read comments from 15 idiots criticizing how we do our day jobs, completely missing the point of whatever projects we are involved in at work, and generally pursuing conspiracy theories about how and why we do our job rather than accepting the most logical and simplest explanations.

As someone who works in an industry that did have a bunch of armchair quarterbacks on forums about our products and company actions... it was quite comical to watch from the inside and seeing what the so called 'informed' people had to say about why things were done

#399 5 years ago

Hey zombie yeti, thanks for bringing politics into pinball. It's not like politics hasn't ruined sports, movies, TV etc.... Thanks for making your motives clear. Now back to pinball not politics please

#400 5 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

This is a fantastic looking, boring and overpriced remake. Stern really showing his true colors lately. Starts to look like a company from China in 1990.

I didn't (and still don't) ignore you (in case you thought so, because you disliked my comment).

It's ok to be negative (to tell what you think, what a Forum is about). But I think it's not ok to just shit all over the place, over and over again.
You're not that kind of user.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
There are 724 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/here-they-come-primus-pinball/page/8?hl=dee-bow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.