AAAB8D9D-D314-4446-9761-AE0C26A7C029 (resized).jpeg
00DCEBE7-17EC-45A3-8C22-9D2B07E93002 (resized).jpeg
3308EDB7-4F1B-44DE-924F-1FAF4AA029E7 (resized).jpeg
51113C64-44D8-460E-BFA7-DFF1323F634D (resized).jpeg
IMG_6568 (resized).jpg
20190106_090900 (resized).jpg
IMG_6564 (resized).jpg
IMG_6567 (resized).jpg

There are 723 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 15.
#251 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I’m just hoping they change the “cheap to make contract game layout of choice” from WNBJM to Stars or Meteor. Surely those would be even cheaper to make. Use the same cabinet as WNBJM. Themed whatever. Nice art. Keep rehashing forever. Everyone’s happy.

Yeah, because re-engineering layouts with multiple flippers and drop target banks is cheaper than using a layout with two flippers and a bunch of stand ups that already exists.

You guys aren’t even trying to make any sense any more.

#252 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah, because re-engineering layouts with multiple flippers and drop target banks is cheaper than using a layout with two flippers and a bunch of stand ups that already exists.

Ha. You’re not trying too hard either CrazyLevi . Every one of your posts are so f*n predictable.

#253 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah Stern started with a game whose design puts it 305th in the ratings and they added a dynamite art package. Nelly’s trade for $4.6k now and there weren’t many of those super rare games made. Based on that, Primus may have a value to me of around $5k. I wouldn’t buy one though as it does not appeal to my tastes and at $8k, I have closed my wallet and put away my manpurse.

I would buy a Primus 100x faster than I would Beatles gold and would consider it be the more collectible. It will sell out on Tue, 11/27/18, and as sales are to individuals and not distributors, sold out means gone!

#254 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Yeah Stern started with a game whose design puts it 305th in the ratings and they added a dynamite art package. Nelly’s trade for $4.6k now and there weren’t many of those super rare games made. Based on that, Primus may have a value to me of around $5k. I wouldn’t buy one though as it does not appeal to my tastes and at $8k, I have closed my wallet and put away my manpurse.
I would buy a Primus 100x faster than I would Beatles gold and would consider it be the more collectible. It will sell out on Tue, 11/27/18, and as sales are to individuals and not distributors, sold out means gone!

It's a great design. Problem is majority of Pinside members have a hard on for SS or newer and zero appreciation for EM layouts. Their loss. Whoa Nellie is Top 5 for me and I've owned a crapload of great pins.

#255 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

and zero appreciation for EM layouts. Their loss. Whoa Nellie is Top 5 for me and I've owned a crapload of great pins.

I wouldn’t say zero appreciation, games such as Grand Prix, Target Alpha and Centigrade are the bees knees. This Nellie layout is fairly simple from a 70’s EM perspective...plenty of primarily em guys feel Nellie is lacking...heck, it’s a single player so who wouldn’t want more?

Anyway, CrazyLevi says Primus felt this game would sell on art alone so “who gives a crap” about anything else, and he and Stern clearly share the this same “who gives a crap” vision for Pinball. Doesn’t mean we can’t wish Stern aspired for more to protect and expand their brand...but if Stern doesn’t care about the intigrety of their brand and making a product that plays as good as it looks then why should you.

#256 5 years ago

Is there anyone here who's well-versed in band art/merch collecting? Not pinball collecting...but posters, prints, instruments, one-offs, stuff like that?

What are the chances that something like this holds value? Nobody has a crystal ball, but are there any other pop art pieces like this out there?

#257 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

It's a great design. Problem is majority of Pinside members have a hard on for SS or newer and zero appreciation for EM layouts. Their loss. Whoa Nellie is Top 5 for me and I've owned a crapload of great pins.

You beat me too it, was getting pretty tired of reading all the "Whoa Nellie layout sucks" posts!

I wasn't immediately taken by WNBJM either, but I got the opportunity to play it over an extended period of time and grew to really enjoy it and appreciate it as a unique pinball experience. Is it the zenith of single level, old school pinball design, absolutely not, but it has a charm that most will discover if you give it a chance.

#258 5 years ago

I don’t get why everyone seems to think it will cost the same to convert stargazer to Spike than just make a new WNBJM artwork and sound package?

If Primus only wants 100 machines to be Made, the game would have cost a lot more than 8k for such a small run...

-redesign complete playfield and electronics, plastics set,...
-new artwork
-new sound package
- new software for rules and hardware
-maybe new mechanics depending which game is redesigned

I’m not saying I will buy this current Primus game either as it’s also not for me but 100 games for Stern is what? 2-3 days on the production line? Too bad that Some pinside Primus fans don’t like it but Stern needs to keep the lines running at a profit and if this helps them do it, all power to them!

Now where’s The Munsters?

#259 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I wouldn’t say zero appreciation, games such as Grand Prix, Target Alpha and Centigrade are the bees knees. This Nellie layout is fairly simple from a 70’s EM perspective...plenty of primarily em guys feel Nellie is lacking...heck, it’s a single player so who wouldn’t want more?
Anyway, crazylevi says Primus felt this game would sell on art alone so who gives a crap about anything else, and he and Stern clearly share the this same “who gives a crap” vision for Pinball. Doesn’t mean we can’t wish Stern aspired for more to protect and expand their brand...but hey, who gives a crap...if Stern doesn’t care about the intigrety of their brand and making a product that plays as good as it looks then why should you.

You really need to write an angry letter to Primus. I have gift-wrapped
The point and hand-delivered it to you and still continue to completely miss it.

It makes zero sense to accuse stern of compromising their “intigrety” for giving their customer, Primus inc., what they want. Stern sold 100 pinball machines to Primus, and their customer is presumably satisfied with it even if you aren’t.

This product is EXACTLY what Primus wanted, requested, ordered, and bought, so if you don’t like it and think they should have spent tens of thousands of dollars (probably understating that additional cost) more on it to make a “better game” you should take it up with them.

#260 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Anyway, crazylevi says Primus felt this game would sell on art alone so who gives a crap about anything else, and he and Stern clearly share the this same “who gives a crap” vision for Pinball. Doesn’t mean we can’t wish Stern aspired for more to protect and expand their brand...but hey, who gives a crap...if Stern doesn’t care about the intigrety of their brand and making a product that plays as good as it looks then why should you.

It’s probably NOT a single player. Though it has a single score reel. If it’s just like WNBJM/PBR it manages 4 players on the single reel.

Edit. I do t see the micro DMD that WNBJM has.

#261 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

It’s probably NOT a single player. Though it has a single score reel. If it’s just like WNBJM/PBR it manages 4 players on the single reel.
Edit. I do t see the micro DMD that WNBJM has.

The micro DMD is on this game... I saw it in the pics.

#262 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

The micro DMD is on this game... I saw it in the pics.

Oh cool. Good catch. I’m fairly certain it will manage 1-4 players the same way then.

#263 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

While these last two titles (Beatles & Primus) look like train wrecks to us; they are money trains for stern. If it helps keep my favorite designers and programmers employed, I guess it's not all bad. Right...?

Yes I agree

Stern said when they moved into a larger new facility with 5 lines that contract pinball would be part of Stern's business plan. I look at the positives: Helps Stern's cash flow and profitability, helps Stern maintain and afford top notch designers and coders, helps bring light to the revival of the pinball scene by helping with public awareness, and also helps keep older used titles from skyrocketing in price due to more options for collectors.

I hope Stern keeps cranking out these zizzle specials and pumping them out like soft serve. Do you want to sail the seas of cheese for $8500(By the way the art is absolutely stunning) and be part of a limited 100 group-great! It helps suck up the monies in our hobby. Dominos, Jetsons, Supreme, Primus, are 'contract' and need to be looked at as such. My only fear for 'contract' pinball is that eventually someone will get a really good license and waste it on a sub par re-skin. Cough-"Beatles"

Listen hear Stern, JJP, CGC, American, etc. I want a real Mission Impossible Pinball machine(lots of hurry-ups tied to shaker motor). I want a modern machine designed from the ground up with a great layout and packed full of features. I put forth my request not to f it up, this theme deserves that full resources are utilized and no corners are cut. Mabye I can do a gofundme or find some investors Now let's get this done- Em k

#265 5 years ago

looks like a Mafia retheme

#266 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

he and Stern clearly share the this same “who gives a crap” vision for Pinball. Doesn’t mean we can’t wish Stern aspired for more to protect and expand their brand...but hey, who gives a crap...if Stern doesn’t care about the intigrety of their brand and making a product that plays as good as it looks then why should you.

Sorry to say Tiger but as a mod u should maybe refrain from such comments as bastards like myself must now respond. I have been modded several times for even the slightest distain in JJP threads and would be temp ejected with such a comment made above. Probably something like "let the people enjoy their game" blah blah blah. Let me ask you this is Irm a "who gives a crap" pin or Deadpool the list is long. Oh Yeah.

#267 5 years ago

You are all crazy! I could care less about Primus, but I love the fact that Stern made this game. This is a functional piece of art work and it’s damn cool given there will only be 100 made. Now how do I get them to agree to making a DIO pin? I will pay $8000 if they only make 100.

#268 5 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I will pay $8000 if they only make 100.

10k by Christmas

#269 5 years ago

So Stern has made 2 EM's this year..

#270 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

So Stern has made 2 EM's this year..

You mean no em's this year?

#271 5 years ago

The art is so spectacular that it may attract art collectors. Could this box of lights be seen as art to art collectors?

Looking at what some people pay for art nowadays has me thinking this box of lights is an attractive art piece

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/art-for-sale-us$5000-10000/

#272 5 years ago

This game is awesome. Anyone who likes, admires, appreciates, wants, gets one I have mad respect for and you are “cool” in my book. I think a 67 Camero is cooler than a new Ferrari, so you can get a vibe on what I think is cool. I wasn’t even born in the 60’s either. I also think folks who have a Grand Prix with buttery spinners is cooler than one owning a WOZ or Stern LE covered in Cliffys and invisaglass with under 500 plays also. Just me and who am I? So don’t take my opion so friggin personal folks.

WNBJM is a super fun game. If you are so awesome at pinball and love pinball so much, then play it and blow it up if you are so great. May take a few games. I love the new games but also just like to strip things down to basics and get back to what pinball began with - simple rules, short ball times and tough play.

Sorry to interrupt the negativity and complaining. Although maybe I did complain a little myself. Carry on

#273 5 years ago

I'm happy for any machine that is made. This also is an amazing art package and shows you how amazing Jeremy can truly be. I may buy it for art myself as I really am in love with the look. I don't get upset about some of the things mentioned in this thread. It's everyone's opinion and they are entitled to it. I do not necessarily agree or like the fact the others are being vilified for wanting or liking it. Either way the layout is known to us pinheads but the art is an absolute standout for me.

Hope you all are enjoying the holidays

#274 5 years ago

Sold my maiden last week bc i was interested in a primus pinball as i like the music better. This was not what i was expecting and unfortunately has no chance of me buying it. I love the art and all the songs but not a fan of the playfield design. I walked away from pbrc and nelly many times as the gameplay is not for me. Looking fwd to the next stern release or possibly a jjp potcle in the near future .

#275 5 years ago

The layout can actually be pretty fun if it's tweaked. There's was a Can Crusher on route where the owner swapped in lightning flippers in place of the smaller mini flippers and increased the pitch and opened the outlanes. Plays fast and fun!

As a collector's piece and work of art I think this game will be worth it and likely even appreciate in value. 108 units is a true LE.

#276 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It makes zero sense to accuse stern of compromising their “intigrety” for giving their customer, Primus inc., what they want. Stern sold 100 pinball machines to Primus, and their customer is presumably satisfied with it even if you aren’t.

The “integrity of their brand” is a different thing from their integrity. A company should constantly strive to put a top flight product into commerce and should always be expanding their market.

#277 5 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I think a 67 Camero is cooler than a new Ferrari

Old School.pngOld School.png
#278 5 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

You are all crazy! I could care less about Primus, but I love the fact that Stern made this game. This is a functional piece of art work and it’s damn cool given there will only be 100 made. Now how do I get them to agree to making a DIO pin? I will pay $8000 if they only make 100.

I agree that this game looks great and I’d rather it exist as is than not exist. I hope it also sounds as good as it looks.

Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I’m fairly certain it will manage 1-4 players the same way then

That’s good to know and I hadn’t noticed that. Why anyone would want to make a single player game today would be beyond me.

#279 5 years ago

Anyone know the track list yet?

#280 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The “integrity of their brand” is a different thing from their integrity. A company should constantly strive to put a top flight product into commerce and should always be expanding their market.

And that’s exactly what they are doing.

They just expanded their market to primus, who just bought 100 games from them. Primus was so happy with the game they bought every single one produced.

Has any other manufacturer as successfully expanded their customer base this year? Name one other manufacturers that just sold 100 pinball machines to a rock band this week.

#281 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

A company should constantly strive to put a top flight product into commerce and should always be expanding their market.

And what pinball company is doing that exactly?

#282 5 years ago

Not sure these details were posted. I see posters still asking the price -
https://clubbastardo.themerchcollective.com/pages/primus-preview-custom-pinball-machine-limited-edition-signed

ON SALE MONDAY, 11/26 @ 10 AM CT

List Price: $7,995
• Limited to 100 Signed & Numbered Machines
• Signed by Les, Larry & Tim
• Laser engraved, serial numbered metal placards

• 13 Primus song track list
• Upgraded Kenwood Sound System
• Custom Voice-Overs by Les Claypool
• Original artwork by Zombie Yeti & Zoltron

• Classic Style Pinball Machine, a dynamic retro look & feel
• Custom Frizzle Fry Shooter Knob
• Powder-Coated Metal Armor, Backglass Frame & Legs in “Green Naugahyde”
• Retro flipper bats with a unique drain lane adds a new control factor for both novice & skilled players
• Backglass art is reverse printed on real glass

• Standard Coin-Door for Location Play
• All LED lighting & controlled general illumination
• Free-play setting
• Manufactured by Stern Pinball

1) CURBSIDE DELIVERY = $499
2) INSIDE DELIVERY = $649
3) WHITE GLOVE DELIVERY = $849
If your residence or business delivery location requires the driver to climb more than 3 steps, $159 will be charged.
Weight: 285lbs

#283 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

And what pinball company is doing that exactly?

Stern. In the last couple of years they have sold hundreds of machines to Supreme, Pabst, and primus. None of these markets were previously being tapped by pinball companies.

Spooky is also expanding the pinball market, having served the previously Uncatered to corporate pizza chain market.

All of this represents an unprecedented expansion of the pinball market. I’m impressed!

#284 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And that’s exactly what they are doing.
They just expanded their market of customers to popular 90s acid funk bands. They expanded their market to primus, who just bought 100 games from them.
Has any other manufacturer as successfully expanded their customer base this year? Name one other manufacturers that just sold 100 pinball machines to a rock band this week.

LOL, now you are just being intentionally obtuse. It’s fine that Stern used this and I get they went with the canned layout they had ready and that said canned layout was cheaper than making an all new layout. The point that many wish/desire Stern would have a different canned layout based on an 80’s game ready for contract manufacturing purposes is not something that anyone needs to reach out to Primus over. We are simply saying Stern should have more options readily available.

Also, you are not inside the room with Primus and Stern on their negotiations Levi so you don’t know the discussion. You are simply conjecturing something that you think makes sense. For all you know Stern said, “hey Primus, we will do a botique game for you, but we simply can’t have it be something our regular customers would buy as that would cannibalize our future game sales, so you get this layout for your 100 games or you take your 100 game order elsewhere.”

You can keep saying Primus got exactly what they wanted but for all you know they merely got something that was borderline acceptable to them. None of us know or are likely to know.

#285 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

LOL, now you are just being intentionally obtuse. It’s fine that Stern used this and I get they went with the canned layout they had ready and that said canned layout was cheaper than making an all new layout. The point that many wish/desire Stern would have a different canned layout based on an 80’s game ready for contract manufacturing purposes is not something that anyone needs to reach out to Primus over. We are simply saying Stern should have more options readily available.
Also, you are not inside the room with Primus and Stern on their negotiations Levi so you don’t know the discussion. You are simply conjecturing something that you think makes sense. For all you know Stern said, “hey Primus, we will do a botique game for you, but we simply can’t have it be something our regular customers would buy as that would cannibalize our future game sales, so you get this layout for your 100 games or you take your 100 game order elsewhere.”
You can keep saying Primus got exactly what they wanted but for all you know they merely got something that was borderline acceptable to them. None of us know or are likely to know.

Lol x 2

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:

If pinside ran Stern they’d be out of business in a month.

Congrats to Stern on yet another successful project, and instantly selling out your entire run of Primus games.

I’ll leave it to others to explain why it would have been smarter for Stern to risk the loss of tens of thousands of dollars than to execute this project exactly as they did.

#286 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

For all you know Stern said, “hey Primus, we will do a botique game for you, but we simply can’t have it be something our regular customers would buy as that would cannibalize our future game sales, so you get this layout for your 100 games or you take your 100 game order elsewhere.”

Come on Tiger, I bet if u took a poll its unlikely there are 50 Primus fans on this site to the point where they might drop 5 to 10K on a pin. If Primus was a main stream band then Stern might have made a actual newly designed game. Now the Beatles thats a different story, but as long as it based on the pumpkin pie hair cutted freak period who cares anyway?

4f2d197d58180f4440fc8f565f2302b9 (resized).jpg4f2d197d58180f4440fc8f565f2302b9 (resized).jpg
#287 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Anyway, crazylevi says Primus felt this game would sell on art alone so “who gives a crap” about anything else, and he and Stern clearly share the this same “who gives a crap” vision for Pinball. Doesn’t mean we can’t wish Stern aspired for more to protect and expand their brand...but if Stern doesn’t care about the intigrety of their brand and making a product that plays as good as it looks then why should you.

It's actually a 4-player game. Mini DMD in apron tracks score.

#288 5 years ago

My friend is a die hard Primus fan. Tons of personal history and memories. He’s also a top AI scientist at Nvidia. We hung out yesterday and showed him the pin..

He freaked out at how awesome the art looked. Instantly recognized the the drawings and characters. I told him the game looked ancient and was based of an old EM. He didn’t care. It was about the art and classic look.

This guy is frugal, but it was an instant buy for him and he’s working to convince his wife. He has no space but doesn’t care. Probably it gets stored at my place.

So yah - I’d say guys complaining in this thread just don’t get it.

#289 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

LOL, now you are just being intentionally obtuse.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

Why anyone would want to make a single player game today would be beyond me.

So it's a reskin of a 4 player game from 2015, that was also reissued as a 4 player game in 2016, but they've changed it to single player?
Or are you just being unintentionally obtuse?

#290 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If pinside ran Stern they’d be out of business in a month

That’s a straw man statement, we all know it’s true and all agree there.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Congrats to Stern on yet another successful project, and instantly selling out your entire run of Primus games

I’ll leave it with this, I agree with the above. What is good for Stern is, generally speaking, good for pinball. This doesn’t mean people can’t have higher expectations for Stern and desire products more suitable to the expierence they want to have...but Stern has made a beautiful Primus pinball machine here and we are all glad they are making new games.

Quoted from TheLaw:

So it's a reskin of a 4 player game from 2015, that was also reissued as a 4 player game in 2016, but they've changed it to single player?
Or are you just being unintentionally obtuse?

Id say you simply missed the earlier part of your second quote of mine (since that part didn’t suit your quote) where I mentioned I hadn’t noticed it was designed that way...but we both know you saw it and are just looking to argue when no argument is there. You have a nice day.

#291 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

he’s working to convince his wife.

good luck to him with that .

#292 5 years ago

Wow shipping isnt even included for the 8k price...

#293 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Id say you simply missed the earlier part of your second quote of mine where I mentioned I hadn’t noticed it was designed that way...but we both know you saw it and are just looking to argue when no argument is there. You have a nice day.

All I know is you're talking like you know something aboot the game and you obviously don't.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

IThis Nellie layout is fairly simple from a 70’s EM perspective...plenty of primarily em guys feel Nellie is lacking...heck, it’s a single player so who wouldn’t want more?

#294 5 years ago

to let everyone know this game is a 4 player game , the score will set to the current players score from ball before, so the score shown is the score for that player , then next player will have his score reset to the score from his other ball

#295 5 years ago

lovely jovely

ncq3XsUt (resized).jpgncq3XsUt (resized).jpg
#296 5 years ago

Art looks pretty killer on this one. I'm not a buyer at the price point but I enjoy WNBJM gameplay. Pretty cool looking game for the Primus fans that get one. The upgrades and signatures are a nice touch.

I'd probably still go WNBJM if I wanted the gameplay again. The crate is cool and used market is close to half the price of Primus.

#297 5 years ago

Ok, time to shut this thread down by moving on. Bottom line, who gives a sh*t, maybe 100 people (if they sell them all at those prices).

Onward and upward —> Munsters announcement coming real soon!!

#298 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Sold my maiden last week bc i was interested in a primus pinball as i like the music better. This was not what i was expecting and unfortunately has no chance of me buying it.

Okay, let me get this straight. You sold a game to get cash ready to buy a game *you've never seen or played based on a rumour*?

You have no one to blame but yourself. Maybe next time you should wait for something to come out first?

#299 5 years ago

Pretty much what I expected. 8 didn't think reskin but thought small boutique.

#300 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Pretty much what I expected. 8 didn't think reskin but thought small boutique.

RE-reskin...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wichita, KS
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 723 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/here-they-come-primus-pinball/page/6?hl=outlanes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.