AAAB8D9D-D314-4446-9761-AE0C26A7C029 (resized).jpeg
00DCEBE7-17EC-45A3-8C22-9D2B07E93002 (resized).jpeg
3308EDB7-4F1B-44DE-924F-1FAF4AA029E7 (resized).jpeg
51113C64-44D8-460E-BFA7-DFF1323F634D (resized).jpeg
IMG_6568 (resized).jpg
20190106_090900 (resized).jpg
IMG_6564 (resized).jpg
IMG_6567 (resized).jpg
There are 724 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 15.
#201 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’ve heard that the designers made under $1 in royalties originally.

So let's say WNBJM sold 100x better. So 100 units became 10,000, the designers would have made $100?

#202 5 years ago

what is the actual price of this game ?

#203 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Swing and a miss

That’s strike 2 (this and Beatles).

I don’t get why Stern gets distracted with these low margin, niche crap.

Stay focused on your business plan. Munsters next will make you shit load more money. Also, they don’t need this filler crap for their lines - they have plenty of previous machines/ orders they are still making.

Also, spend a few minutes to finish code - you will get more long term, happier customers.

#204 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

That’s strike 2 (this and Beatles).
I don’t get why Stern gets distracted with these low margin, niche crap.
Stay focused on your business plan. Munsters next will make you shit load more money. Also, they don’t need this filler crap for their lines - they have plenty of previous machines/ orders they are still making.
Also, spend a few minutes to finish code - you will get more long term, happier customers.

There’s the pinside I know and love!

#205 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

if this is another woah Nellie I am going to be pissed

#206 5 years ago

hmmm....

Muensters for 5300, MBr for 7300, seriously almost any good pro with finished code for sub 5k, countless amazing classic titles for 2500-5000...
or a reskinned turd of a game for 8300+

It seems to me that Stern is specifically working towards and investor sell off and is trying to increase the $ per game stat.

Sad to me that this is the first music themed game, I would like based on theme and now it is just another WNBJM.

#207 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

hmmm....
Muensters for 5300, MBr for 7300, seriously almost any good pro with finished code for sub 5k, countless amazing classic titles for 2500-5000...
or a reskinned turd of a game for 8300+
It seems to me that Stern is specifically working towards and investor sell off and is trying to increase the $ per game stat.
Sad to me that this is the first music themed game, I would like based on theme and now it is just another WNBJM.

I just glad the game exists and looks good to boot. Around here I bet this would do great on location.

#208 5 years ago

Whoa Nellie isn’t a good game . We don’t need another. Pass.

#209 5 years ago

Stern , they deserved a unique layout! Ugh lately I Dont want a new stern.

#210 5 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

I just hope the SLAYER and Motley Crue pins aren't a Nellie re-skin too.

Slayer would great using either Quicksilver or Stargazer. Motley Crue?...who cares

#211 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stern spent zero $ and time on the primus playfield layout and rules design. So it was significantly cheaper than “reskining” any other existing game.
Redoing Dragonfist or any other game would have been a complete waste of time, resources and money and would have run counter to Stern’s goals of staying in business and making money.

Hmm, interesting but I partially disagree. I don’t think we are too far off though.

So, I totally get Stern going back to the well on the canned Nellie design and rules. Easy layout for them to work with and slap new art and sounds on and “boom!” Instant game with no expenditures. They did it for PBR and now Primis. Great.

My thought would be if Stern wants a design to be a canned design for games like Nellie, PBR, and Primus...do it with an 80’s design and not a early 60’s design. Go ahead and put a little effort to redo Stars or something and make it the skin and rule set available for contract games moving forward.

People, generally, like the 80’s games more than the 60’s game. They play better. They are more likely to grow the hobby by giving people a better expierence. Stern can keep using the same one over and over again...they just need to make their canned re-design and rule set once.

Anyway, I get the cost and ease thing of just keep redoing Nellie...but jeez, give people a better gaming expierence with a 80’s canned layout and it might help bring more people into pinball than than the unimaginative early 60’s Nellie layout single player flat game...

#212 5 years ago

Woulda been a whole lot cooler if they had used the Seawitch/Beatles layout!

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Hmm, interesting but I partially disagree. I don’t think we are too far off though.
So, I totally get Stern going back to the well on the canned Nellie design and rules. Easy layout for them to work with and slap new art and sounds on and “boom!” Instant game with no expenditures. They did it for PBR and now Primis. Great.
My thought would be if Stern wants a design to be a canned design for games like Nellie, PBR, and Primus...do it with an 80’s design and not a early 60’s design. Go ahead and put a little effort to redo Stars or something and make it the skin and rule set available for contract games moving forward.
People, generally, like the 80’s games more than the 60’s game. They play better. They are more likely to grow the hobby by giving people a better expierence. Stern can keep using the same one over and over again...they just need to make their canned re-design and rule set once.
Anyway, I get the cost and ease thing of just keep redoing Nellie...but jeez, give people a better gaming expierence with a 80’s canned layout and it might help bring more people into pinball than than the unimaginative early 60’s Nellie layout single player flat game...

You need to take this up with primus, as they surely decided the budget and all of the other paremeters of the project

The answer to “how can you do this the cheapest” most certainly was “this old school game right here.”

Primus doesn’t care about gaming experience or adding cost to their vanity project of 100 games, all of which they are buying and reselling.

If they did, they would have gone with a different game.

The customer here isn’t you, or operators. It’s primus. Just like the customer for Pabst was Pabst and Supreme for Supreme. I don’t see why it’s so hard for you guys to understand this, over and over again.

#214 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You need to take this up with primus, as they surely decided the budget and all of the other paremeters of the project
The answer to “how can you do this the cheapest” most certainly was “this old school game right here.”
Primus doesn’t care about gaming experience or adding cost to their vanity project of 100 games.
If they did, they would have gone with a different game

But for all we know they were given a menu of just one game design: “If you want us to do a private label game for you Primus, this is the one we will do” as “it truly won’t take any sales away from other offerings”.

Anyway, I suppose it all comes back to cost and effort. Regardless of what might be preferred by more people, the Nellie design is the one they had ready to go now so this is what we get. All is fine, I’d certainly rather have this game exist then no game.

#215 5 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

O-din!
Channel your inner Tommy the Cat!
Put your money where your mouth is and BUY this thing!
Nothing pulls hip/young ladies (NP? )in faster than a slime green Primus Pinball!
Not even Supreme!!!

It looks cool. And you know I love the music!

The only issue is the layout still started life as a shit multiplayer game from the 50s and worse than that a Gottlieb 50s multiplayer game which after having a few already those are the true turds of the EM pinball universe. It's been changed quite a bit, but not much better.

They don't call them "Belly Barge" games for nothing.

If they are going to use an EM as a base, it's time to step up the game, don't you think?

If it was more like Pit Stop you know I'd be all in.

#216 5 years ago

With the Facebook video of the announced Primus Pinball now reaching 100,000 views they’ve clearly tapped into something correctly......

#217 5 years ago

If you love Primus then be happy theres a pin, if u don't then don't buy it but who gives a fuck about how Stern re-skinned a game and cash grab and all that crap. Man pinside sucks sometimes.

#218 5 years ago

The more I look at Primus pin art, the happier I get. Reminds me of high school. That art is on point.

#219 5 years ago

The game looks great, I wish it was priced like Whoa Nellie, but this is the only way it would have ever been made. So I'm cool with it, I just can't get one.

#220 5 years ago

Hey, it's more pins out there, that's really all that matters, like it or not. Someone will buy them.

#221 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Hey, it's more pins out there, that's really all that matters, like it or not. Someone will buy them.

More of something is not always good. So in this case - a big old pass on those 100 games. Get them out of the way so you can get back to your real customer base - remember why you are in business.

#222 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

But for all we know they were given a menu of just one game design: “If you want us to do a private label game for you Primus, this is the one we will do” as “it truly won’t take any sales away from other offerings”.
Anyway, I suppose it all comes back to cost and effort. Regardless of what might be preferred by more people, the Nellie design is the one they had ready to go now so this is what we get. All is fine, I’d certainly rather have this game exist then no game.

Well I’ve been talking with stern and here’s how it works.

I want 100 crazy Levi pinball machines. They present me with options and costs.

Since I think this game will sell on art and theme only, I wanted the absolute cheapest options. They brought me spider man home and whoa Nellie.

Nellie is the cheaper of the two since there’s no dmd.

I asked them about redesigning and retheming star gazer or quicksilver (or anything fancier) but the costs were way higher than what I’m willing to budget for the project. Especially since I’m responsible for buying all 100 of them up front.

So there you go. If you are willing to spend what it takes, Stern will build anything for you on contract. But I thought I should keep it simple and as cheap as possible since it’s a niche market.

#223 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I think it's cool to have a "stock" game you can re-theme for short runs.

100% agree....unfortunate it ended up being Whoah Nellie. Hopefully that’s the last of it.

Of course the art is amazing in a Ghostbusters LE kind if way.

#224 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

100% agree....unfortunate it ended up being Whoah Nellie. Hopefully that’s the last of it.
Of course the art is amazing in a Ghostbusters LE kind if way.

We call that “lipstick on a pig”!

Get those 100 units made and move on Stern.

#225 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well I’ve been talking with stern and here’s how it works.
I want 100 crazy Levi pinball machines. They present me with options and costs.
Since I think this game will sell on art theme only, I wanted the absolute cheapest options. They brought me spider man home and whoa Nellie.
Nellie is the cheaper of the two since there’s no dmd.
I asked them about redesigning and retheming star gazer or quicksilver (or anything fancier) but the costs were way higher than what I’m willing to budget for the project. Especially since I’m responsible for buying all 100 of them up front.
So there you go. If you are willing to spend what it takes, Stern will build anything for you on contract. But I thought I should keep it simple and as cheap as possible since it’s a niche market.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

#226 5 years ago

Not that I was interested in another band theme. Chicago gaming will be the only manufacturer getting my $ from now on.

Sad to see a once great company lose focus. Really, really cheap out. And keep shilling this recycled garbage.

The only good thing I can see from this is.. pin prices will hopefully drop. Or they will eventually build a unique, creative pin. And knock out of the park. Because the crap they are peddeling is

#227 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

More reskinned fake-limited overpriced trash. Next....

You're evaluating this completely wrong. When you're on LSD or magic mushrooms, this game is amazing. The art screams it. You're missing a key component to evaluate it properly.

#228 5 years ago

Love the art package! A cool theme dressed as a quirky festival of weirdness and wrapped in metallic green armor. That is what pinball should look like! A head turner in any collection or lineup.

That being said, will Primus fans want to own or play WNBJP?

Bring on WNBCL!!

#229 5 years ago

God. What an absolute ripoff. Lol. Good riddance. Art looks sweet. A fool and his money they say...

#230 5 years ago

They should have just put that nice artwork on a vacuum cleaner, I would rather Primus literally suck than just have a sucky game.

#231 5 years ago

I think it looks great and it's priced less than what I thought it would be. At 100 units it's a true collectors item and with the great art package I'd anticipate this being an instant sellout and hold it's value well.

It's still out of my price range but I think it's a better deal than Beatles or BM66.

#232 5 years ago

I had no idea what this was all about - I thought why would Toyota make a contract game for their economy car ?

Prius sucks. Just ask Jeff Dunham.

#233 5 years ago

I believe this is the title Spooky passed on.
Well I for one am glad they chose to retheme to fill the contract build and put resources to new designs.

If were picking a table to retheme it would be RBion or RCT.

One thing I dont understand is a classic layout for the band. They didnt strike me as a classic pinball band like the case for Beatles.

Not for me but the art work looks cool...onward we march toward the SR original theme which will make it to my gameroom.

#234 5 years ago

Was so psyched for a primus pin. Not so much anymore.

#235 5 years ago

Let's pretend it wasn't limited to a 100, at what price would you consider buying it.

#236 5 years ago
Quoted from Hammer1021:

Let's pretend it wasn't limited to a 100, at what price would you consider buying it.

Doubt I would. Tried wnbjm once. May be the only game I've ever walked away from before playing three balls.

#237 5 years ago
Quoted from Hammer1021:

Since I could go get the same game in two other versions for much cheaper... i would pay a small mark up for the art and band.

PRo price? Even then I hate the layout and game play of wnbjm.

#238 5 years ago

I don't think I could pay more than 3500

#239 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Since I could go get the same game in two other versions for much cheaper... i would pay a small mark up for the art and band.
PRo price? Even then I hate the layout and game play of wnbjm.

I agree I really do hate the game play.

#240 5 years ago

While these last two titles (Beatles & Primus) look like train wrecks to us; they are money trains for stern. If it helps keep my favorite designers and programmers employed, I guess it's not all bad. Right...?

#241 5 years ago
Quoted from Hammer1021:

$3000

#242 5 years ago

I’m just hoping they change the “cheap to make contract game layout of choice” from WNBJM to Stars or Meteor. Surely those would be even cheaper to make. Use the same cabinet as WNBJM. Themed whatever. Nice art. Keep rehashing forever. Everyone’s happy.

#243 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

While these last two titles (Beatles & Primus) look like train wrecks to us; they are money trains for stern. If it helps keep my favorite designers and programmers employed, I guess it's not all bad. Right...?

Beatles & Primus don't take anything from the 3 Cornerstone Titles Stern does for 'us', so there is nothing to argue or get mad about this additional output they do on the side.

That said, neither of those game is a train wreck. Beatles look great and is just 'different type of game', just like TNA is. That may cater to pinside audience but not only (wich goes more ore less with every license).
And Primus,... well this one is REALLY limited but with only 100 machines, the usual die hard primus fan propably won't have ever seen a Whoa Nellie or Pabst Can Crusher, so this is pretty much an original game. And assuming PCC an WNs sales most of 'us' wont have any of them either.

So, yeah... Stern manufactures this game a couple of days and then up to the next. So what?

It won't hold up the line for long.

#244 5 years ago

Has this been posted yet?

#245 5 years ago

Would love to throw this code into my Can Crusher. That possible?

#246 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Beatles & Primus don't take anything from the 3 Cornerstone Titles Stern does for 'us', so there is nothing to argue or get mad about this additional output they do on the side.
That said, neither of those game is a train wreck. Beatles look great and is just 'different type of game', just like TNA is. That may cater to pinside audience but not only (wich goes more ore less with every license).
And Primus,... well this one is REALLY limited but with only 100 machines, the usual die hard primus fan propably won't have ever seen a Whoa Nellie or Pabst Can Crusher, so this is pretty much an original game. And assuming PCC an WNs sales most of 'us' wont have any of them either.
So, yeah... Stern manufactures this game a couple of days and then up to the next. So what?
It won't hold up the line for long.

No skin off my nose (or most the people in this thread); which is kind of the point of my post.

#247 5 years ago

Another pinball machine in which people who buy pinball machine’s aren’t the target market.

The art is great, 13 songs is strong, and it’s certainly the best theme using that playfield/layout. On the other hand, that’s a lot is scratch for a rethemed pin. Definitely, a hard pass for me, but I’d have been interested in a similarly featured Primus pro. Maybe Primus isn’t big enough to justify a cornerstone game?

#248 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

No skin off my nose (or most the people in this thread); which is kind of the point of my post.

Not sure I understand that first part (language barrier) but yeah, that wasn't to argue to argue against you but with you... for the most part at least.

#249 5 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

Maybe Primus isn’t big enough to justify a cornerstone game?

I've never heard of them (they were in South Park, weren't they?) but that doesn't mean much.

Could be a country thing, an age thing or just a prsonal taste thing why I'd never came across them.

#250 5 years ago

Dennis Nordman used a 1957 Gottlieb called Continental Cafe for his cabinet and inspiration for WNBJM. It is not the same game, it is in fact an original layout. It still stinks, but it is not a carbon copy of an old layout. For your viewing pleasure.

medium_1_21_06_15_9_47_58_0 (resized).pngmedium_1_21_06_15_9_47_58_0 (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 724 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/here-they-come-primus-pinball/page/5?hl=indusguys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.