AAAB8D9D-D314-4446-9761-AE0C26A7C029 (resized).jpeg
00DCEBE7-17EC-45A3-8C22-9D2B07E93002 (resized).jpeg
3308EDB7-4F1B-44DE-924F-1FAF4AA029E7 (resized).jpeg
51113C64-44D8-460E-BFA7-DFF1323F634D (resized).jpeg
IMG_6568 (resized).jpg
20190106_090900 (resized).jpg
IMG_6564 (resized).jpg
IMG_6567 (resized).jpg

There are 723 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 15.
#151 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

So whos making this game?

Spiderman Home is Gomez, Whoa Nellie is Dennis Nordman.

#152 5 years ago

Stern, please don't waste Stargazer layout on anything except ACTUAL Stargazer!

#153 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

So whos making this game?

Stern, next week.

#154 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

My understanding is it's another Spiderman retheme, like Supreme. Which is fine.

SM home is a fun layout, so that’d be a thumbs up from me. It’d be cool if ZY or Zoltron did the dots!

Hope it’s not Supreme pricing, though.

#155 5 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

SM home is a fun layout, so that’d be a thumbs up from me. It’d be cool if ZY or Zoltron did the dots!
Hope it’s not Supreme pricing, though.

It's none of those things.

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

It's none of those things.

So off to more important things:

How's Bill & Ted coming along?

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

So off to more important things:
How's Bill & Ted coming along?

No clue. Never knew anything about that. Just that something was likely coming before Munsters.

#158 5 years ago

This is crazy news.
Bravo Stern.
What if it's a Maiden retheme?

#159 5 years ago

Perhaps Danesi 2? I’d be disappointed though if he didn’t do his own sound track.

*edit: just read up on the thread and see the word is it’s a classic Stern retheme.

#160 5 years ago

Just bought that pretty KY Fish Tales. Not to brag, but
fish on.

#161 5 years ago

Damn I saw this was on fire. I'm excited to see the art

#163 5 years ago

8k... for yet another Whoa Nellie. OK then! Best of luck with that

#164 5 years ago

Whoa Nellie meets Circus Voltaire!

Ah, another 1964 throwback pin. Stern is on a roll!
I can fondly remember the Beatles haveing Primus as a Pre-Show band back then.
Good times. - The world was better then, since I was not yet born.

I'm no good pinsider I don't hate it, I just don't care.
Art is well made tough.

So now, back for Bill & Ted...

#165 5 years ago

Crap.....what a a bummer.

A technical and progressive band goes for a simplistic pinball....

#166 5 years ago

ZY killed it with the art (of course). Absolutely captures the CV vice which is killer.

#167 5 years ago

Isn’t green a bad luck color for pinball? However it plays out, I’ll still throw a few quarters in it.

Primus Sucks!

#168 5 years ago

Damn. Woah Nellie. I'm out

#169 5 years ago

I’ll just say that announcing this on the Friday after thanksgiving was probably a good move.

I’m sure this game will get to the 100 intended customers through whatever channels primus stuff gets to primus die Hards. Looks great and surely a labor of love for those involved.

And with the balance of Whoa Nellie parts finally exhausted (?), perhaps our long international nightmare is over.

#170 5 years ago

Didn't Stern have a hard time selling WNBJM at $6k? Love the art though!

#171 5 years ago

I think it looks great and is the best version (art) of this game yet.

I’d love to have one, but it’ll be a long time before the price reaches my level. Hope the best for their sales.

People gotta stop worrying about these small limited contract runs that Stern is doing. It makes them some money and is a blip on the production line.

Sorry for people who were expecting more though. I love Primus and would have liked a more features machine, but I’m not going to pretend like Primus was some sorta godlike theme.

#172 5 years ago

Gosh, and here we were all pumped for another classic Stern retheme. Ah well, this is the nicest looking of The Nelli clones but it sure seems like Stern doesn’t realize that most of us don’t want EM reskins, we want SS reskins.

If this was a reskin of Stars or Quicksilver or Meteor there would be a lot of demand. The art package is great.

#173 5 years ago

Man, I love me some Primus but damn... $8k for another Nellie?!?
I’m putting my hard-earned green towards a three tier Munsters instead!
That’ll show Stern!

#174 5 years ago

You guys aren't the intended audience, and what were you expecting?

This is a contract (not house) game with only 100 units. The band and the artists were never going to take a huge financial risk on doing a much larger run / higher price, which would have been required to absorb the costs associated with working on a more complex machine.

Stern were never going to license it and do a bigger budget, normal run production game as it would be way too niche for a music pin.

It's an interactive piece of art and a physical manifestation of the culture, stories and lore their music spawned.

IMO it's easily the most beautiful game to come out of Stern's doors, and goes to show what can be achieved when the creatives have total freedom.

#175 5 years ago

@O-din!
Channel your inner Tommy the Cat!
Put your money where your mouth is and BUY this thing!
Nothing pulls hip/young ladies (NP? )in faster than a slime green Primus Pinball!

Not even Supreme!!!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#176 5 years ago

More reskinned fake-limited overpriced trash. Next....

#177 5 years ago

Pabst Can Crusher - Whoa Nellie - Primus....My money is safe

#178 5 years ago

It’s gonna look great next to my WNBJM.

Honestly this release is going to be probably the best version of this game taking you through the world of Les Claypool and his exuberant, funny mind bending custom rated R speech and sounds.

This game wasn’t made for the masses it was made for the Primus diehard fans.

Zombieyeti killed it on the art. Spanning the collective album covers and intertwining the themes throughout the playfield and backglass making a cool mind bending acid trip as Les intended.

I’ve seen Primus many times live, I’m a huge fan since the beginning and a fan of the their work before Primus pre-90’s.

#179 5 years ago

Have many songs in the game?

#180 5 years ago

I think it's cool to have a "stock" game you can re-theme for short runs.

But it makes you wonder... Just how bad were Whoah Nelli sales?

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I think it's cool to have a "stock" game you can re-theme for short runs.
But it makes you wonder... Just how bad were Whoah Nelli sales?

I’ve heard that the designers made under $1 in royalties originally.

That being said, it’s probably been a success as a contract game. It’s all art and sound - they spend zero resources or money on rules (the same as nellie) and animations (there aren’t any!) so it’s the perfect contract machine aimed at non-pinheads. And of course these games are already paid for on Stern’s end.

I’ve got a birthday coming up so I’m looking into how much I’ll have to pay Stern to make 100 Crazy Levi pinball machines. Anybody interested in buying one?

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Crap.....what a a bummer.
A technical and progressive band goes for a simplistic pinball....

Then Dream Theater would have 50 shots!

#183 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That being said, it’s probably been a success as a contract game. It’s all art and sound - they spend zero resources or money on rules (the same as nellie) and animations (there aren’t any!) so it’s the perfect contract machine aimed at non-pinheads. And of course these games are already paid for on Stern’s end.
I’ve got a birthday coming up so I’m looking into how much I’ll have to pay Stern to make 100 Crazy Levi pinball machines. Anybody interested in buying one?

I'll buy a CrazyLevi pin!

#184 5 years ago

Swing and a miss

#185 5 years ago

Great art.

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

You guys aren't the intended audience, and what were you expecting?

Quoted from mnpinball:

This game wasn’t made for the masses it was made for the Primus diehard fans

I hear what you guys are saying, but if Stern wanted to grow the pinball market they would still have reskinned an 80’s game than this early 60’s em style. The early SS games are good games and hold up well today playwise. Make some of these die hard primus fans turn into pinball fans and get them a good competitive layout.

Are the parts really cheaper for Nellie than they would be for a Dragonfist? By how much if so? Serious question.

#187 5 years ago

they just throw out some crazy prices to see if they stick and the people keep buying. wow!!!

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I hear what you guys are saying, but if Stern wanted to grow the pinball market they would still have reskinned an 80’s game than this early 60’s em style. The early SS games are good games and hold up well today playwise. Make some of these die hard primus fans turn into pinball fans and get them a good competitive layout.
Are the parts really cheaper for Nellie than they would be for a Dragonfist? By how much if so? Serious question.

The intended audience doesn’t care. (Heck they will probably like a super simple game more). This game is clearly aimed at collectors and not operators. It’s a low risk, modestly profitable, limited run to keep their production line operating near capacity.

Stern has years to mine the dozen or so classic games worth redoing. No need to rush them out

#189 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If there is multiball and you write new rules, yes

#191 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Only if you include crazy funny politics in the speech package.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think it would’ve been awesome to re-theme wheel of fortune playfield but use the EM style scoring.

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I heard $5.

#193 5 years ago

I just hope the SLAYER and Motley Crue pins aren't a Nellie re-skin too.

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Parts, probably not that much different. But a Dragonfist doesn't exist in CAD. Doesn't use modern mechs, that would have to be addressed. It also runs on a completely different boardset, so Stern would either have to have a run of boards reproduced or re-write the code for Spike. I doubt any of that is cheap. Compare that to an existing design with known BOM, existing code and just tweak it? Has to be way cheaper.

As for growing the pinball market, that isn't what this particular game is about. It is a vanity pin for a band that they can sell to their fans. Stern isn't about to eat a bunch of cost on this, My guess is they are getting paid "x" to produce "y" pinball machines to spec "z" and that is about it. Much different than Stern's own brand with their cornerstone titles.

#196 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I hear what you guys are saying, but if Stern wanted to grow the pinball market they would still have reskinned an 80’s game than this early 60’s em style.

I don't think you are hearing us.

Stern are the contract manufacturer.

They would have given cost projections for available rethemes (likely WNBJM or SM HE). Then they build it once Zoltron and ZY have done their work, hook up the audio to the code, and make any needed code adjustments from Whoa Nellie.

That's it. It's not their project, and they'd never ever go to this small of a band for one of their own.

Re: growing pinball, this getting shared on social media and having their name in the press release is more than good enough. The revenue they make from this will be a drop in the ocean.

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

We don’t know the actual costs of materials that make up these two playfields but it’s irrelevant.

Stern spent zero $ and time on the primus playfield layout and rules design. So it was significantly cheaper than “reskining” any other existing game.

Redoing Dragonfist or any other game would have been a complete waste of time, resources and money and would have run counter to Stern’s goals of staying in business and making money.

#198 5 years ago

Quoted from HighProtein:Then Dream Theater would have 50 shots!

And it could be reskin, just like 2013s 'Dream Theatre' album

#199 5 years ago

Primus is local to the Bay Area, so I'm sure there will be one of these on location or at a show. Really interested to see how the all the songs and audio clips interact with the rest of the game.

I understand that this is more of an art collectible than a pinball machine, but I really dislike Woah Nellie...so dropping $8k on a game I don't enjoy playing is probably a non-starter.

I even sold a game to make room just in case, so I was seriously in!

#200 5 years ago

Maybe I should start a Bay Area band pinball theme in my gameroom, Metallica next to a Primus...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wichita, KS
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
Various novelties
$ 8.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 723 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/here-they-come-primus-pinball/page/4?hl=rasavage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.