Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by captainBR
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4F3D7344-8BCF-4B1F-8B07-8287CDCA5644 (resized).jpeg
    5nolqf (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is like telling a manic depressive to "just cheer up!"
    Your heart is in the right place but it's kind of pointless. Obviously, plenty of people care more about obtaining a game they want than they do about discouraging flipping. You can do your part by never paying a cent over face for a pinball machine, but expecting others to behave the same way is a waste of time and energy.
    On the plus side, we have the makings of yet another two-digit page pinball pricing thread!
    YAY!

Is the pin flipping bubble about to burst?

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I hear ya… and 100% agree… but I am always curious on the boundaries when it comes to these moral conundrums. I am a bit of a dork.
    Here is an example… I have an order for a tbl… deposit paid… if next July (or whenever it eventually ships) would it be a flip for me to sell it for $15k (a $2500 profit) or whatever the market rate? Things change in a year and something that sounded cool in June 2021 could seem like an unnecessary indulgence the following summer. Since TBL isn’t limited you are basically charging a convenience fee for getting it sooner.
    To me that seems different than buying an le - never considering a delivery - and flipping it two weeks later. However, I am sure some people would call that a flip too. Idk…. Sure you can cancel the order, but if they had the deposit for nearly a year is it so bad to take delivery and just sell it?
    (For the record… I have no interest in selling my tbl spot)
    I am not trying to be argumentative - but I am genuinely curious on what people consider the unwritten rules of flipping. In my original example #1 is something we would all agree on… but after that I think it probably gets pretty subjective based on the individual.

Does it really matter if anyone thinks you're "flipping" games? Stern is buying materials and putting them together and then selling you the end product at a mark-up...are they flipping games? The MET Pros that people paid 4-5K for 6 years ago are now selling for 6K+...are they flipping games?

People only seem to care about "flippers" when it's something they wanted or think they had a chance to obtain and now can't (at least at what someone else paid). I've flipped plenty of games, and will continue to do so, as it helps me pay for the games I want to buy for my collection. I don't have the disposable income some on here do, so finding deals on games I don't really want to keep and selling them helps me get the games I do want. I did the work to find the games on FB (or wherever), did the work to make the deal, spent the time to move it, fix it, etc. I've never once had someone ask me "what did you pay for this game and when" when they were buying a game from me. If I listed out all the games I've sold and what I paid - should those people feel entitled to a refund of the difference?

People spend way too much time and energy worrying about other people making money off them. I don't care what someone paid for a game when I buy it from them, all I care about is that I'm comfortable with the price I'm paying - if I'm not, I don't buy it. I've bought most if not all of my games from people I know personally, and I know how much they paid. In just about every instance they "flipped" it to me - but should I not buy a game I want because of that? You have to decide that for yourself I guess.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I spend basically no time worrying about it. I do think it sucks that some people can't get LE's because other people use their connections to jump ahead of them. Some people care while others don't, but neither are wrong.
    I am just curious at what point people consider something a flip. It can be subjective. You must have missed my earlier post when I posted an example of what people considers a flip

No I saw it, and I'm not attacking you. My point was that you are going to get a billion different answers (or non answers) and no consensus, and that it ultimately doesn't matter anyway. Everyone has their own definition and will or will not let that impact their decisions.

I don't really have a definition because to me it doesn't matter. If you got a game for free 30 seconds before I bought it from you, what does it matter?

To use your own example...the people getting the LEs spent the time (and presumably money in the past) to make those connections and get the game. If they buy it and resell it the same day are they a flipper? A week? A month? What's the difference? If they buy it and keep it, then that's one less LE in someone's hands. If they put it in storage for a decade and never open it are they a hoarder or a collector?

I'm sure all the people complaining about pinball flippers never sell their stocks for more than they paid, right?

#84 2 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I agree. I am just curious as to what people consider an unethical flip.

I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase, it's all in the game though, right?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/here-s-the-deal-don-t-buy-a-flip?tu=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.