Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images-5.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    crate-chains.jpg
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Let me start by saying that I'm not trying to say HEP is not worth more money. Just call me ignorant about this. If a pinball has a new playfield, or a perfect playfield, and the cabinet has either been redone or is in perfect condition, is an HEP game worth more? and if so, why? I have the same question about playfields. Seems that people don't place the same value on new playfields. Are someone's better than anothers? And is NOS better than reproduction? And if HEP is worth more money for whatever reason, how much of a premium do people place on it? Thanks for the help.

#2 11 years ago

4000-6000 more in my opinion. HEP is definitely better than HUO or even NIB. His pins are all better than the ones that are brand new from the factory. I know of a few NiB that have went straight to him. I don't have any but theyre definitely better by alot.

#3 11 years ago

If you want chromed parts inside the cabinet and appreciate perfection, Yes.
    If you just want good looking pin, probably not.

#4 11 years ago

HEP is much more than new parts. It's an entire experience. HEP pinball machines are cosmetically beautiful and stunning. The game play is also beautiful and stunning.

Now as far as worth, HEP has built a reputation over many, many years.

The "worth" added by HEP's reputation typically causes a HEP machine to be higher valued than a non-HEP machine.

In my opinion, a HEP machine is worth more because Chris has shown an incredibly high level of work for many, many years.

Marcus

#5 11 years ago

HEP games newer or older are just stunning all the way around. Even years later. Yes, they do play better.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from arizonabuck:

Let me start by saying that I'm not trying to say HEP is not worth more money. Just call me ignorant about this. If a pinball has a new playfield, or a perfect playfield, and the cabinet has either been redone or is in perfect condition, is an HEP game worth more? and if so, why? I have the same question about playfields. Seems that people don't place the same value on new playfields. Are someone's better than anothers? And is NOS better than reproduction? And if HEP is worth more money for whatever reason, how much of a premium do people place on it? Thanks for the help.

You will won't understand unless you take the plunge. Take your favorite pin and have it done by Chris... then you will know.

#7 11 years ago

Yes, if you have ever seen his work, he turns a pinball machine into better than brand new. You have to see one of his machines to believe it.

#8 11 years ago

Maybe not appropriate but what is the range of cost for Chris to bring an avg machine to CQ? Just looking for a ballpark here.

#9 11 years ago

I think of the old don't buy a car that was made on a Monday or Friday story. The person who originally assembled the pin in the factory was likely not super passionate about getting everything perfect. "That will work" is normally the operative phrase when you are on an assembly line in a factory. I am not saying they were bad workers, just that assembly line work normally has a standard that is set by the company and perfection is not what is asked of the employees the vast majority of the time.

In my mind that is why a NIB game can be worth less than one that has had a HEP type of treatment.

#10 11 years ago

Well worth it. I have a HEP TAF it is just stunning looks and plays better then new. I would buy another.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Maybe not appropriate but what is the range of cost for Chris to bring an avg machine to CQ? Just looking for a ballpark here.

talk to Chris about this... too many variables

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

You will won't understand unless you take the plunge. Take your favorite pin and have it done by Chris... then you will know.

This is a perfect statement. I had no idea how amazing his work is until I sent my 1st pin there. Guaranteed I send every pin I own-there's a huge difference in performance, looks, and for
    The lack of a better word, "tightness".
    The games just play so much better!!!

#13 11 years ago

I think it would.

New playfields often need work, which Chris does.

Then he also makes new parts for missing things. Many which can't be found.

Add it all up and cost goes up.

LTG : )

#14 11 years ago

Compare a HEP and and a HUO pin and you can easily see the differences. Well worth the money to those who buy that level of machine.

#15 11 years ago

If you're a collector, yes.

If you're more of a player, no.

#16 11 years ago

If you can afford it, then the answer is 1000000% yes...end thread

#17 11 years ago

interesting. so can you give any specifics as to why the machine would play better? do you consider anybody as good as Chris or is he in a class by himself? What about new playfields? some better than others?

#18 11 years ago

What is HEP? LMAO!

#20 11 years ago

There are way too many variables in a question like this.. you're making generalizations. HEP pins are tailored towards their particular customer. HEP can restore a game for multiple customers, and do things differently toward that customer's request. So, yes, a HEP game carries a premium - but not to all buyers for every game. That's OK, though, as you'd find a buyer pretty easily if it's priced right.

Secondhand HEP games can be quite a bargain. I bought a HEP I500 years ago for about what half the original owner had in it - and it was still as beautiful as it was the day it left HEP - but the person who had it restored couldn't sell it for what he had invested in it.

Now, I500 isn't an 'A' title like a MM - on a MM, I expect he could've recouped a much higher percentage of his investment.

The problem is, a 2008 HEP TAF isn't restored as well as a 2012 HEP TAF - and it's 4 years older. A craftsman improves his craft daily. That's not a shot on anyone's work at all. Just a fact.

So, there are a lot of variables to consider.

Don't look at it as an investment. Look at it as your favorite game, restored to the hilt - and a game you wouldn't ever want to sell.

There are other restorers that rank just as high with me, but I don't want to open that can of worms. It wasn't part of the original question.

#21 11 years ago

Yes.

Quoted from arizonabuck:

do you consider anybody as good as Chris or is he in a class by himself?

Class by himself. Everyone else aspires to do what he does. Some come closer than others.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

If you're a collector, yes.
    If you're more of a player, no.

Chris' eye for how a game plays is as keen as it is for how it looks. While restoring my Wh2O he had several suggestions to make the game play smoother. As a player I think his work can be equally appreciated.

Quoted from arizonabuck:

interesting. so can you give any specifics as to why the machine would play better? do you consider anybody as good as Chris or is he in a class by himself? What about new playfields? some better than others?

Chris does does all the major work himself which sets him apart IMO.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from arizonabuck:

do you consider anybody as good as Chris or is he in a class by himself?

I would also send a game to Mccune. His work seems pretty amazing too. We are lucky to have choices.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Class by himself. Everyone else aspires to do what he does. Some come closer than others

This is so true it's not even funny ! Most people don't have a clue of what Chris puts into his games , this include the HEP owners too.

Jim

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from arizonabuck:

can you give any specifics as to why the machine would play better?

A clear coated playfield is flat.

The ball is not slightly diverted hitting the edge of every insert.

The ball rolls almost silently over the glass-like surface.

#26 11 years ago

McCune, Kelly, Keller--all great. Treasure Cove--ok. HEP can outdo them all, but it's not a hobby for him. It's his day job. He's always been the best, and still is. Now--some do things better than others. For example, I had Karlzona do an AFM, a MM, a SC, and a Banzai for me. Clearcoating master. Sadly, always required someone to mop-up with reassembly.

#27 11 years ago

I'll first preface this by saying I have not had any pins done by anyone other than Chris. I will say, out of all the hobbies, I've had and spent money on, I've never felt better about the money and time than I've spent at HEP. I love being able to play something and enjoy its beauty and fun all without worrying if I'm going to damage it. I think it is worth WAY more in $ and in enjoyment.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Maybe not appropriate but what is the range of cost for Chris to bring an avg machine to CQ?

I believe $6K average for mm/afm/mb, from what i've read. I can't find his post but i believe that's what he estimates? I don't know about other games.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I believe $6K average for mm/afm/mb, from what i've read. I can't find his post but i believe that's what he estimates? I don't know about other games.

THANKS!

#31 11 years ago

Now that I own one, I can affirm that better than new is an unstatement. This guy not only does everything he possibly can to make these machines as glorious as they can be, he takes it many steps further. My thinking is this- if nobody else out there is willing to do this kind of work, and there is already a year wait just to take you in, what happens when he hangs it up? These completed machines will become way more desirable than they already are.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from arizonabuck:

I haven't had anyone else my machines other than HEP, but I can also tell you that there's a 0% chance anyone else will ever get the chance to restore one of my machines while HEP is still around.

#33 11 years ago

All good responses, thanks.....now what about new playfields? Heard micro tossed around. Is he better than others?

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

There are other restorers that rank just as high with me, but I don't want to open that can of worms. It wasn't part of the original question.

I'd like to hear your list of other restorers held to the same level of esteem. If you don't want to post in the thread please PM it to me. HEP has closed his doors for the year so for those of us wanting to have a restore done now he is not an option.

#35 11 years ago

hep does really nice work for sure. they arent the only place turning down restoration projects. its alot of time involved to do that. playfields from hep are super friggin nice when done

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from ebjimmyg:

playfields from hep are super friggin nice when done

And isn't that whats most important?

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Class by himself. Everyone else aspires to do what he does. Some come closer than others.

We need a ranking/poll system sticky thread of some sort!

Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'd like to hear your list of other restorers held to the same level of esteem

#38 11 years ago

Well worth it. He worked his magic on my IM when it was NIB, and it looks and plays better than any other IM I've seen. That is why I didn't hesitate to send him my Avengers LE, which he currently has. I know when I get it, it will be flawless, far better than NIB, and as bullet-proof as a pin can be. His level if quality and care is unparalleled, as is his customer service. I can't recommend Chris high enough.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And isn't that whats most important?

that and a mechanically sound pin

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

This would be awesome. People could also post pics of the machines they had restored with the various guys. We could have some indicator of the wait time on their games. Would be hugely useful.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

This would be awesome. People could also post pics of the machines they had restored with the various guys. We could have some indicator of the wait time on their games. Would be hugely useful.

Yes!, after reading this thread Im staring at my TZ, thinking how great it would look all restored by a professional. I wouldnt mind trying a full restore, but I think I will start with my T2 before I tackle my fav pin.

Question-does a Hep or any other quality restorer clean up/refurb the pow drive/cpu/dmd boards and all that good stuff?

#42 11 years ago

He makes everything better than new.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

He makes everything better than new.

Even our women?

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Yes!, after reading this thread Im staring at my TZ, thinking how great it would look all restored by a professional. I wouldnt mind trying a full restore, but I think I will start with my T2 before I tackle my fav pin.
    Question-does a Hep or any other quality restorer clean up/refurb the pow drive/cpu/dmd boards and all that good stuff?

I believe Chris sends his boards out to Coin Op Cauldron. I can't speak for other restorers.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I don't see how that could possibly work. It's based entirely on opinions, and people have different opinions.

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Even our women?

I know HEP is big on crating, what sort of crate does he want when we send him these?

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

It's based entirely on opinions, and people have different opinions.

True, but at least a list of the top guys and there locations, would maybe bump business for themselves, if they are in need of work, sounds like HEP is all set though. Id prefer someone within driving distance of 6-8 hours one way to eliminate clumsy shipping handlers.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I don't see how that could possibly work. It's based entirely on opinions, and people have different opinions.

Everything is opinion based. I think it would be easy to implement. Have a requirement that to post on the quality of one of these guys work that you have to have documentable proof you had them do a restore for you. The mods could verify.

Would be a great way to expand the site a little bit and help out some people. I want to get an older (late 70's / early 80's) game restored and blinged out to the max (totally blinged out with everything the restorer can think to do), but I've been somewhat at a loss with who to go to for the past three weeks since HEP is done taking new orders for the year.

A list here on this site with references would be amazingly helpful.

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I know HEP is big on crating, what sort of crate does he want when we send him these?

We could fit three or four inside Hercules.

#50 11 years ago

We could fit three or four inside Hercules.

That's a far better idea than what I was invisioning. I really wasn't sure how to talk her into getting into this.

crate-chains.jpgcrate-chains.jpg

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-worth-more-money and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.