31%
  • Blacked out 54 votes
    48%
  • Painted Gold matched to cabinet 24 votes
    21%

(113 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

There have been 9,816 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

C2D4F44F-6D69-4C44-A79D-2BC7D5D98BC6 (resized).jpeg
3CD31962-B07E-442F-A191-A9166A3E3448 (resized).jpeg
9C8FAB83-C342-46E9-8E4F-886EB5095F45 (resized).jpeg
25201B7C-E826-4525-A488-C5E8F9E51B79 (resized).jpeg
31BF6FDD-B78C-484E-8952-4D3F285A4A07 (resized).jpeg
B9711E81-CB3B-4F1C-BCCC-4CD1CD4699B4 (resized).jpeg
8D1E1C33-88C4-4643-9B03-100117A65F34 (resized).jpeg
1238B0BC-BF31-4E0C-9D5B-1FE09BBE21BE (resized).jpeg
EB27557F-446C-4DD9-B751-EB44316BB9BA (resized).jpeg
C9D6DAA8-3D5C-4F0C-87E2-63436DB9C729 (resized).jpeg
E86C9300-A1DC-46AF-B20F-D11E321C236A (resized).jpeg
0F410D9C-8C12-4A48-8D2A-C0BF60F6F7B4 (resized).jpeg
3FF79E7E-FD97-4C82-A683-9E4627275809 (resized).jpeg
E736E868-26FA-4509-ACA6-814F5A6CDECF (resized).jpeg
9CADB859-0FBE-4CAC-A346-4E3031690C77 (resized).jpeg
86891389-D98A-4C6A-84C5-085759FF774D (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#118 1 year ago

If you ever get tired of pinball I'm sure a museum would hire you for art restoration.

1 week later
#353 1 year ago

Tommy, awesome! Never got around to restoring or even thoroughly shopping mine before I sold it, so I'm looking forward to this.

#382 1 year ago

That puppy earned some coin in its day.

1 week later
#510 1 year ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Will make an appearance as an active project in the near future in this thread.

Popcorn popping!

2 weeks later
#778 11 months ago

Damn you, even the trough wiring is beautiful.

#822 11 months ago

Hopefully that shooter knob is on its way to the trash.

#840 11 months ago

I should know this since I used to own one, but did Tommy originally have pegs instead of rails?

#869 11 months ago

Well, at least we get to watch you build a new TAF from scratch.

1 week later
#1041 11 months ago

I like the plain shirt. Really glad you walked back some of the red up there. I rarely have a critical word to say about any HEP work, but that was a bit much. So after corrections you’re still batting a thousand.

#1087 11 months ago

Even though I may never own a HEP, I love knowing that so many examples of worn out (or worse, in this case) games have been converted into showpieces. It's like if someone went through a city and converted every derelict house into a mansion.

#1133 11 months ago

That's one place where I feel a lot Pat's WMS designs suffered; exposed wiring, switches, etc. He used a lot of those rubber switch covers which are better than nothing, but still... meh. Great job tidying things up where you can. Insane attention to detail, and relentless pursuit of a clean look.

#1199 10 months ago

Kevin Durant hoodie for the win!

#1268 10 months ago

I'm starting to think HEP the business is just a front for HEP the ultimate man cave. Don't worry, we won't tell your wife.

#1349 10 months ago

Cleaned the fan blade and put it on the shelf with the motor. Then put it back together for now until I have the motor in hand. Might be a month

Bungee cord a box fan to that sucker.

#1379 10 months ago

Awesome, can't wait to see the completed Knockout.

2 weeks later
#1599 10 months ago

Why are gear boxes packed full of grease instead of lubed with something like liquid teflon? Seems like it would be extra work for the motor to chew through all that grease, and eventually it dries out & jams. I'm sure there's a good reason since it's always been done that way.

#1601 10 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Was liquid teflon available 26 years ago ?

I guess I meant, why is it still done now?

My old jukebox had thick grease all over the gears. I wiped off everything I could reach without full disassembly, then added a healthy (but still relatively miniscule) amount of liquid teflon. Seems fine.

Again, I'm sure there's a reason it's still done that way, just curious.

#1648 10 months ago

Amazing what a pile of PCBs and chips it took to run a game until very recently.

1 week later
#1795 9 months ago

Really curious to see how you handle the low-res dithered art on that Simpsons cabinet.

#1854 9 months ago

Also heading to the warehouse will be my beer collection as I gear up to take part in Dryuary.

Thread unfollowed.

Just kidding, I could sooner give up beer for a month than the HEP thread. Can't wait to see what the new year brings. Happy 2019 to Chris and all the regular viewers (droolers) here.

3 weeks later
#2247 8 months ago

Number one is #1.

#2288 8 months ago

Maybe I've always been a little KonMari, but nothing satisfies me quite like getting rid of stuff. Especially when it's going to someone with a use for it.

#2310 8 months ago

Seeing a Dr. Who gives me PTSD* since Keith Elwin destroyed me on it in state finals.

* Pinball Tournament Stress Disorder

#2330 8 months ago

I'm sure those Cinnamon Toast Crunch Churros aren't for you.

#2335 8 months ago

Thanks for saving me the trouble! I saw the commercial during one of my kid's TV shows and got curious.

#2358 8 months ago

I forgot what grass looks like.

#2429 8 months ago

The more piece-y the coin door gets, the worse it looks to me. I don't mind solid blue for a perfect blend. Or classic black. Definitely agree with whoever said the coin door shouldn't be a focal point. Art should pop; hardware is a necessary wart.

1 week later
#2627 8 months ago

Chris posted a t-nut installation guide earlier in the thread. Pretty cool method:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/45#post-4803466

1 week later
#2655 7 months ago

Good man. I know it's more hassle to give stuff away than to trash it, but the karma payoff is huge. It's just too bad they don't accept karma at the fishmonger.

#2689 7 months ago

stephpopcorn.gif

#2740 7 months ago

I didn’t know TSPP decals existed. Looks a hundred times better than the washed out, dithered factory cabinet.

1 week later
#2810 7 months ago

Now that I see the finished product, the red t-molding totally works. Brings out the flipper buttons, Duff beer can, etc.

3 weeks later
#3002 6 months ago

It's only April 3rd and you got more shit done than I will all month.

1 week later
#3108 6 months ago

Wow. Sad sign of the “doll collector” direction this hobby has gone in. Your games are beautiful inside and out.

#3123 5 months ago
Quoted from chad:

What is that contraption on TZ?

Cooling fan?

#3131 5 months ago

Edit: nevermind! But I'll go ahead and leave the advice here for any other Munsters owners.

If you're tweaking that Munsters premium for a customer, I have one very specific piece of advice. On the lower playfield, fast shots to the right ramp will jump the opto 90% of the time. (Backhands are the fast shots. It's tough to make that ramp at all from the tiny left flipper.)

For my friend's LE, we wedged a small piece of clear plastic over that part of the ramp as a ceiling to force the ball down and break that opto on every shot. I'm sure your solution would be more elegant.

1 week later
#3184 5 months ago

That door has a nicer finish than most playfields.

#3212 5 months ago

Admit it, this was all just a ploy to get a full-sized beer fridge for the shop.

2 weeks later
#3301 4 months ago

Your wife is saint, putting up with maybe the most high-maintenance family of all time.

1 week later
#3334 4 months ago

T nut is roughed in just an effort to make it blend in not over the top or anything.

Holy shit, I still had to look for it.

#3336 4 months ago

Red bleed-through is so bad I thought that part was supposed to be a different color. After your touch-up it's obvious what it was intended to look like all along.

#3375 4 months ago

He is starting out in a good position he is only 21 and has all the tools here to make it happen as long as he is committed to it.

Good for Curtis! Being young makes all the difference. I never really got in shape, and starting now would be... challenging. If he sticks with it, he'll be ripped like his old man in no time.

#3400 4 months ago

I always assumed those rubber rings were to prevent vibration damage to the lamps, but at the same time that seemed like a far-fetched level of care for a manufacturer. I guess they just didn't wanna stock shorter screws.

#3480 4 months ago

You call that traffic?!?

Curious to see what you do with the Tron LE. Hard to believe that game is already eight years old. When I had one I played it so much that I had to shop it out twice, just in home use.

Oh, and if you need NOS ramps or Hallmark lightcycles, I know a guy.

#3549 4 months ago

Yeah, I would go original hot pink all the way, flaws or not.

1 week later
#3619 4 months ago

His posture and even something about his overall demeanor looks more confident in that dumbbell photo. Quick improvement.

#3670 3 months ago

That's my kinda cake, half frosting!

1 week later
#3782 3 months ago

For whatever reason they don’t make these Lane guides in purple so clear should work. Those may require a purple bulb though.

Factory red guides a no-go I take it? I'm also averse to clown puke, but color-bombed that exact area on my Stern Star Trek pro. The lane guides are blue, but it's kind of a light blue and is totally washed out by a white LED, so I went blue there. Not a hindrance to gameplay since it's so far up & out of the way.

#3817 3 months ago

Gettin' your money's worth out of that truck.

2 weeks later
#4016 3 months ago

Holy shit, that green insert touchup is next level.

worthy.gif

#4043 87 days ago

He hasn’t lost a huge amount of weight *yet*

...but I bet he's replacing some fat with muscle. Curtis is an inspiration. Keep it up!

1 week later
#4143 80 days ago

Will the low gloss ramp eventually show a shiny ball trail? If so I'd consider high gloss for preventative purposes. But I agree the low gloss will better blend into the playfield. I don't want ramp glare in my face when I'm playing.

#4168 79 days ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

We had the worst Fed Ex guy in the world at work, made so many complaints about him. He moved down south

South of New York? I think he moved to Matthews, North Carolina.

#4240 75 days ago

Polishing of the TZ parts
Sanded from 800 to 1500
This shapes them and cuts any grain or dust nibs flat instead of just rounding them off.

Sorry for the nitpick question, but which (if any) grits do you step through between 800 and 1500? I have a CPR Centaur playfield with graining, and was hoping to shave it down & polish without having to reclear. End result doesn't need to be perfect, just minimizing grain is the goal.

#4270 73 days ago

Blacked-out TZ mini will really enhance the illusion of a ball being thrown around by a mysterious force, as opposed to bouncing off white rubbers, colored posts, etc.

Curtis looks fitter already. And he's more of a man than I'll ever be if he can stand a beard in the summer.

#4331 67 days ago

Coin doors are a pain in the ass. Back when I used to "restore" (I use that term lightly) old Bally games for myself, I'd do the coin doors and lockdown area first just to get it over with. Then it was onto the fun stuff.

#4354 67 days ago

As crazy as that "hose the whole game" method looks, it's genius. My least favorite part of tearing down & shopping an old game like that is my hands turning black every five minutes from the grimy old parts. Hate having filthy hands so I'm constantly washing them during the job. Then when I'm done my fingertips are black for days.

#4366 66 days ago

I've tried! You'd think a thin glove wouldn't make me the clumsiest person on earth, but it does. I can't even hang onto a screw.

#4371 66 days ago
Quoted from treborlicec:

I'd do orange pop skirts maybe to match the basketball if you aren't too far to swap.

I'm not sure orange would pop enough against the hardwood floor background of the most visible bumper. Loving red on this one.

Not tryin' to shoot you down, just thinking out loud.

1 week later
#4409 59 days ago

Copper must have been cheap in 1982. So many coils.

#4429 58 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

My comments are in no way intended to be political nor do I want to start a conversation on the topic.

Then don't.

#4433 58 days ago
Quoted from TxJay:

OOooo touched a nerve...

Relax, Texas dudes, I'm a meat eater. Just a pet peeve when someone says "I don't want to be political or start a discussion, but... (insert comment here)." You're bascially saying I want only my opinion to be heard, then shut down any further discussion. Here's an idea, just don't go there in the first place.

Apologies to Chris for contributing to the derail. This is the best thread on pinside. Let's get back to pinball, steak, beer, fitness, and just all-around good living.

1 week later
#4549 48 days ago

Holy shit, those pop bumper "caps" are genius. I'm considering doing my Centaur without any red plastic, and couldn't come up with a good bumper solution. Until now. I'd love to see what those look like when lit.

#4550 48 days ago

Noticed you stuck with the linear flipper mechs. Was that customer's choice or your choice? I've heard differing opinions on those, but I haven't heard the HEP opinion.

#4560 47 days ago

Just noticed you put a powerball in the queen's chamber. I was planning to do that too. Great minds think alike!

Should make it possible to actually hit more than one or two drop targets via the doubler lane.

#4564 47 days ago

This doesn’t look like much but it was a chore.

Oh, it looks like plenty.

#4576 47 days ago

Repro parts are great, but I really appreciate these old-school restorations where you have to reuse decals, flame polish ramps, etc. Might appreciate it less if I was the one doing it!

#4636 45 days ago

I wonder how much of it has to to with them no longer being able to put the Royal Mounty on the label?

My guess is the very limited supply of maple syrup bourbon barrels. They probably want to try aging other brews. Nothing in the article says CBS is gone forever. It took a six year hiatus before; it'll be back. Incidentally, my favorite beer of all time was aged in those same barrels: Founders 2009 Nemesis, 12% ABV wheatwine. It was truly the nectar of the gods.

#4637 45 days ago

Fall is just around the corner

Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest is great! It's one of my favorite styles, so I try a bunch of them every fall. Sierra Nevada is this year's winner... so far.

#4675 43 days ago

What I was told is ball trail is sort of like polishing. So if it’s already polished, it won’t really show. But I’m too lazy to polish ball guides, so I’ll never know for sure.

#4676 43 days ago

Chris, where’d you steal that fast food tray from?

#4710 40 days ago

Speaking of eating shells, Lotus of Siam in Las Vegas makes the best shrimp I’ve ever had: garlic prawns. Absolutely MASSIVE shrimp fried with the shell removed from the meat, but still attached at the tail. It’s like having a garlic kettle chip with every prawn.

Dammit now I’m starving.

1 week later
#4755 32 days ago

These are the most satisfying restores. Take a near basket case example a cool, rare game and transform it into a masterpiece. Can't wait to see the before & after.

#4809 27 days ago

Not sure how much longer I will continue because it has gotten so long and potentially boring but here we go with another week.

Hopefully not boring to you; definitely not boring to me! I look forward to this thread every single day, and learn something almost every day as well. Hard to believe I don't have to pay for it, but as the old saying goes, "the best things in life are free."

1 week later
#4947 20 days ago

A birthday meal fit for the undisputed king of pinball restoration. That lobster roll had me drooling!

#4959 19 days ago

More importantly I revised the yellow stripe with some more aggressive patterns a bit more in line with what was originally there. Not identical but giving a very similar impression.

Sweet, love it! I didn't want to say anything before since cameras can lie, but the first splatter was barely visible to me. This new one screams late '80s, early '90s neon "X-treme" culture. I like it even more than the factory art, because it was derivative of the blue/black area. Too much of the same pattern.

1 week later
#5068 9 days ago

What's this "golden ale" crap?

#5072 9 days ago

Alright, sanity is restored to Casa de HEP. Nice boot!

1 week later
#5165 2 days ago

They tend to stick out just a little too far if you are using regular bulbs or LEDs with domes.
The solution is to use leg bolt hole protectors around them

Brilliant.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
€ 18.95
$ 218.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blandon, PA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Sale Pending!
Runnemede, NJ
$ 66.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bristol, TN
€ 8.40
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 254.99
€ 3.70
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 50.00
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Atlanta, GA
$ 14.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside