31%
  • Blacked out 54 votes
    48%
  • Painted Gold matched to cabinet 24 votes
    21%

(113 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

There have been 15,118 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

49AAA5A2-B6AA-4018-BA3A-4FD8CAC2E1B4 (resized).jpeg
B9B5485C-FFA7-4970-84F9-FF45E500A006 (resized).jpeg
849A7800-6A2C-4927-8746-EC7C3BBD980B (resized).jpeg
7CC57C3C-EE85-4671-A69B-6E415D4F3851 (resized).jpeg
45D6E2E7-7E5F-4785-8987-7DD32687C905 (resized).jpeg
8AA6C114-423E-4C41-A84B-348296388213 (resized).jpeg
183F8263-8364-4FA8-A22D-89B7AB0F4EB5 (resized).jpeg
ED33B8D7-3F7B-4A17-BEAF-898E1921FE05 (resized).jpeg
AF374EF1-538A-4244-9C06-FD4F1CD8BEA5 (resized).jpeg
93C84D3E-54CD-4712-858D-08EAE2D13832 (resized).jpeg
FE4E4181-662D-44C1-8054-DBC38DBA4B83 (resized).jpeg
CAE298AA-1116-400E-97F9-E9A253F75D9E (resized).jpeg
42B65643-36C1-4923-B94B-FA4D7BF14134 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

95 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #142 Alien repair completed Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #621 Grand Prix completed Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #645 Tip Time with Chris - Compressor used for cabinet painting Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #651 Tip Time with Chris - Guide coating (part 1) Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #726 Indiana Jones:The Pinball Adventure completed Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #803 A brief history of HEP Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #826 Tommy completed Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #1228 Addams Family completed Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #1287 Rebuilding a backbox lampboard Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #1430 Head and Cabinet stripping and repair process Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vireland.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3906 1 year ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

They do look different than the replacements I have and I don’t think it is just a wear or age difference.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah, the colors aren't close to right and they really took some liberties with the lightning shapes. What a shame to have to compromise on these since they're so central to the playfield...

#3912 1 year ago

What I decided to do with the disc decals is clean the originals and leave them in place.
They could easily be replaced later if the owner prefers it but I think even with the wear they have the game will still look more authentic and more survivor like if they remain.

I think you made the right choice. Someone needs to repro those whirlwind discs much more faithfully - both colors and art.

#3921 1 year ago
Quoted from Marten:

The Chinese are capable of producing quality products but not at the price we are asking them to do it for. You get what you pay for!

Yep. China will make whatever you want on-spec. You have to watch them since some of the shadier manufacturers will try to "cost reduce" on reorders without telling you, but once you find a few good ones, you stick with them and they will turn out quality work. They just won't do it for nothing. Those Whirlwind discs should have used pantone colors, but I bet they just screened them. They're WAY off from what they should be.

Having done this, reproducing and manufacturing the Shadow Supersets in the Gene days, part of the problem is you have to make a lot to get the price down, but then you sell half and sit on the other half as it trickles out for years to make a few thousand bucks. And if things go wrong (as it did on the first run of Shadow Supersets with ink adhesion) there go your profits (I replaced all the bad sets free). It's risk/risk with little reward. If you're going to make more than one category of repro at a time with any kind of quality control and faithfulness to the original you have to be stacked for cash and very patient.

#3923 1 year ago

I hear you. I made some Krull plastics for a one off project and lost my ass from start to finish.
The game turned out great so there was an upside but it was a horrible business decision and experience.
I learned if I can’t buy it or make it myself I will need to do without it.

Haha. The Shadow was almost all downside. I took a pin that I loved and could pick up all the time for $1000-$1500 because plastics weren't available for a reasonable price (just the Sanctum plastic was $300 IF you could find it) and they were always broken, and almost overnight doubled the asking price of the pins because people had access to a full set of new, stronger plastics for cheap that made the game look great. The concept of supersets (all plastics in the machines from all assemblies in one set) started there. As a result of my lack of foresight and innate cheapness, I haven't had a Shadow in-house since.

But I am glad The Shadow has a lot of respect as the great game it is now. It would be great if Brian Eddy brought back the dual diverter concept for whatever pin he's doing for Stern. It's so unique and really makes the game exciting.

#3926 1 year ago

Now we need to start placing the coil assemblies.
The target bank is first and once again our choices are nice but slightly worn original target decals or lousy repros.
[quoted image]
The originals are a textured thick and very durable material [quoted image]
The reproductions are darker and inaccurate [quoted image]
What is worse is they are not at all durable. 5 or 10 plays and you will probably start seeing the ink wear away. Garbage but who cares as long as you can place them in your cart and pay vial PayPal
[quoted image]
The originals lasted 30 years so far the repros won’t make it 30 plays so the choice is obvious.
Clean up the originals.
In this bottle is acetone [quoted image]
Rub it on the repros [quoted image]
This is the result it is instant [quoted image]
Rub it on the 30 year old originals [quoted image]
This is the result. Nice and clean!Is there even a question about the low quality of the repros?[quoted image]

The reproductions look almost like dye sublimation or home photo printer. I'd make my own on paper with mylar over the top and 467MP backing before I used those.

#3942 1 year ago

Today was the last day for our Bradford pear tree.
We planted it almost 20 years ago but it was just not in good health and it was outgrowing the house and yard.
These have a tendency to just split without warning particularly during ice storms.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Something is working on it pretty hard. Most likely a wood pecker.
[quoted image]
With the new fence line landscaping it is holding back some of those plants and getting impossible to grow any grass around it.
[quoted image]
And there it goes.
[quoted image]
Feels a bit weird without it but I am sure we will get used to it and the other plants on the fence line will benefit in the long run.
We will be able to grow grass there and will have a nice flat yard on each side instead of dodging the tree but I already miss the shade
[quoted image]

We lost 8 bradford pear and ray ash trees when the roots became too invasive and they had to be taken out after 15 years. They were mature and gave a ton of shade. It's taken us like 6 years to get back to a fraction of the shade with new (supposedly less invasive root) trees. Total drag starting over, especially in a place with blazing hot summers.

1 week later
#4050 1 year ago

Finally got around to planting some bushes in front of the new mini building. Still need shutters. [quoted image]

You can thaw salmon in a ziplock in cold water. Only takes about 30 minutes. We do it all the time. Denser meats (steak, ground beef, chicken, hot dogs) take longer, but can still be thawed within an hour.

#4077 1 year ago

Indonesian Corno!
Taste as bad as it looks. Possibly worse.

I order in stuff in from Japan all the time, but didn't know this service even existed. What would you say the success to nasty ratio is on the boxes? I might try it...

#4088 1 year ago

I would say it is a 70% good to 30% bad ratio which is kind of part of the fun.
The two worst I believe so far based on our taste were Cambodia and Indonesia.
Favorites here were Germany and Sweden. Both were chocolate heavy.
Korea was good too that had some unique stuff that was unexpected.

So what size box do you get? I'm thinking Medium might be the right size. Large seems like too much if it's a nasty month.

Do you have a referral link that will credit you?

#4174 1 year ago

$2000 Pinball Life order arrives.
As predicted Fed Ex continues to disappoint.

I cannot F$&$:!g stand Fed Ex. It is consistently late,in accurate and rough.

If you continuously complain (and I'm assuming others are also if you're having this problem), Fedex will move the driver eventually. I'd complain about every incident. Doesn't happen fast, but it will eventually happen.

#4215 1 year ago

Head is on the TOM[quoted image][quoted image]

(That Centaur is going to be amazing, same with Harlem Globetrotters)

I did a ToM with an orangey-gold powder coating that matched the game's logo gradient that I think looks better than shiny gold trim.

rt_corner (resized).jpg
#4221 1 year ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Could always use them for shampoo or cooking, unless it is really foul.

Beer is good for plants, too. Gets the microbiome revved up in the soil.

3 weeks later
#4455 11 months ago

Fathom cabinet has dried down to its final gloss level.
On Fathoms and some others I try to complete the paint jobs in one single session if at all possible.
This is because the way the colors stack together can make for a nightmare to sand and reclear because those scale like patterns will likely break through and perfect realignment of the stencil for a second pass is impossible. That being the goal I was able to accomplish it this time around. Doesn’t always happen
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Love how clean these look when you've just painted them. When the art at the edges is off like the sea foam green wavy line as that corner, is that a template issue or is it attention to detail to match the imperfection of the original run? Also, how do you get the edges so cleanly matched? Do you wrap all sides in the template then paint or do one side at a time?

#4458 11 months ago

Something like that one corner is a small compromise needed on some stencils to get the best overall alignment front to back.
You can be a 1/16 off in one spot and perfect everywhere else or you could be 1/16th off everywhere and perfect in one spot. Depends on what the detail is or how complex it would be to do it manually. For this stencil the scales and lettering are crucial the little sea waves are easy so I make sure the lettering and scales come first.
I manually mask and wrap my own corners if they wrap around to tighten things up on the second pass. Even that can be a little tricky when pulling tape.
This one doesn’t need another pass though so I just tighten the relevant issue up right on the spot.
Relevant meaning it will not be covered once assembled so just that one spot.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Crazy amount of work getting these right, but the results speak for themselves.

#4491 11 months ago
Quoted from DefDumBlindKid:

I love Centaur. It reminds me of High School and my underachieving, acid dropping, metalhead friends. And seeing this beautiful example and knowing it is coming home to me, makes me feel all fuzzy inside.
Thanks, Chris looking amazing

Haha. I did a report on art for school and talked about what made Centaur art great in it. I specifically remember a couple kids mocking it, but I didn't care - they were morons. I was completely enamored of that pin in an arcade with probably 20 pins or more (the 80's were the best!). So many cool things going on and such great art.

#4547 11 months ago

Inside.[quoted image]

Are you doing a pic with the backglass lit up?

#4580 11 months ago

First step after removing the flaps is pulling the decals off. These must be reused.
[quoted image]
Now to remove the glue without ruing the decal.
I like straight acetone for this [quoted image]
[quoted image]
Glue is off
[quoted image]
Now wash and dry [quoted image]
[quoted image]
These are ready to reuse. [quoted image]

With the amount of machines you cycle through, you should scan the decals so they can be vectorized and preserved. I didn't have any measurements, but it was pretty easy to vectorize that skull so it can be made as-needed.

Radical_Skull_Decal.pdf

#4581 11 months ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Wow, so there were no cracks or chips on those ramps after all those years of play?

Look how thick the plastic for the ramps is. These are not 21st century paper-thin plastic ramps...

#4608 11 months ago

I don’t do well with scanning,printing,photoshopping or any of that type of thing. It’s just something that doesn’t compute for me.
I have a really nice thermal label maker that collects dust because I can’t seem to figure out how to get it to print any legible size or direction

Just a picture of each label laid flat next to a mm ruler and the phone camera dead-on over the label (so there's no perspective distortion) would do in a pinch. That way the size and art would be documented and a vector version that's very close to an original could be made if needed.

#4633 11 months ago

European reimport, man. The potential for weird is always off the charts.

#4640 11 months ago

Its grocery day once again
Ribeyes this week.

Have you ever tried to sous vide these and finish on the grill just to sear it? Delicious.

The sous vide everything guys even did it:

#4667 11 months ago

We are Balls Deep in on the SS
Ball guides are grained

Is regraining a customer preference? I never understood why making ball guides look like grained/satin stainless was the goal instead of mirror-polishing them. The mirror polished ones resist ball trails better in my experience and look WAY better, reflecting playfield details like chrome.

#4678 11 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Eh? The polished look means any ball trail is immediately seen. At least on grained finishes there is other markings to diffuse the sight of the ball trail.
The grained look is OEM style and isn't as gaudy. Not every surface should reflect spots and glare back at you.

Have you personally done it? I have many times and if they're polished to a mirror finish they RESIST ball trails much better and longer than grained or re-grained stainless. I assume because the surface is uniform and there are no prestresses built in by the grain, but I don't know the science of why, just that it is that way for all the ones I've done. In home play you may never see a ball trail you can't just wipe off again. It's a lot of work, but the results are worth it, IMO.

IMG_3697 (resized).JPG

#4679 11 months ago

Playfield build is underway[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I love when the playfield hits this point and you start to see the game come up from the wood.

#4682 11 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yes - plenty. At the end of the day, its still the same carbon ball traversing the same contact patch and the material is the same material.
I also don't like the proficiency for the mirror finish to show finger prints.

It is the same ball, but the surface is uniform, unlike regrained. If you polished it to a mirror and finished down to white rouge, there's no way you're getting the same level of ball trails as regrained stainless. I never have.

And yeah, mirrors show smudges, but how often are your fingers on the ball guides once the machine is done? The ball's not doing that.

#4689 11 months ago

Now I can start placing the switch harness. [quoted image]
The blade switches are polished. [quoted image]
All toll overs will be replaced and rewired. [quoted image]
When it comes to WPC 95 it is not worth even assuming the switches are good. If you are doing this just replace them.
One thing I also find unreliable on this era especially if the game is beat are the pink quick connects on the center lugs. [quoted image]
These will be rewired into sub assemblies[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Have you said what crimper you're using? Your connector wiring always looks so clean.

#4694 11 months ago

To make sure that the GI cannot be plugged in to any other feature like the solenoids the new junctions are keyed to only fit one another.

That's a great improvement.

#4699 11 months ago

Let’s eat.[quoted image]

Do you eat the shrimp shell on?

#4704 11 months ago

No peel and eat as you go. Stay more tender if left in the shell until ready to eat when eating solo.

I know some that eat the whole thing and I never understood how that's enjoyable. Tried it once and it was like having a mouthful of toothpick splinters.

#4706 11 months ago
Quoted from radium:

Lots of local seafood where I live and never heard of anyone eating the shells! Must be either really hungry or really lazy to try that.

It was in Asia. Maybe it's a local thing there...

#4708 11 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Yep, Asia.
Not a local thing. An Asian thing.
Asians eat shrimp heads.
They love them
Just bite them off whole and chew them down.
Really hard to do, I couldn't swallow it.
So body shells are no problem for them.

I've never seen anyone there eat the head, but the shells and tails are eaten whole with the shrimp. I gave it the college try and quickly decided it was not for me.

/End thread derailment.

#4716 11 months ago

Scared Stiff cabinet is neatly wired.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Do you laminate the sheet in the cab bottom? It always drives me crazy how the coil dust makes them filthy almost immediately...

1 week later
#4783 10 months ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I would pay, no joke. I can watch a master work all day…especially a master of a craft I am interested in.

Sure. Make it a big brother type setup where you have 4 camera views (two overhead pointing straight down, and two at angles and you pick the view you want. Sounds like the genesis of a TLC streaming show once he gets the kinks worked out of the production with us as guinea pigs.

#4821 10 months ago

I think I have made it a full year with this thread.
Not sure how much longer I will continue because it has gotten so long and potentially boring but here we go with another week.

If we're still here and engaged to the point we're discussing how much we'd pay for live cam access to your work shop to watch in real time, you are anything but boring to the pinheads in this thread.

#4904 10 months ago

Busy Saturday.
I started working through the BSD plastics.
They are a mix of originals and repros.
[quoted image]
The originals are beat and old. The person that went through the game just swapped the easy ones.
The problem with the repros is that they scratch way too easily. Just like a lottery ticket.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I have an NOS set I have been sitting on for a while and will use them on this game.
[quoted image]
The NOS is on the right the repro the left.

Like with most lazy plastics and decals, the color matching is SO BAD. I hate that. Why do a repro if you don't make it faithful to the original colors?

#4915 10 months ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Man, the art on those repros is bad. Looks like someone did that freehand. I would have been a very unhappy customer.

Pretty sure they used autotrace or something like that. Even freehand wouldn't be that bad. The telltale is the very thin lined bits got missed completely (below the trace threshold) while the slightly thicker lines became WAY TOO THICK on the repro due to the tracing. Really poor worksmanship, what's for sure.

#4930 10 months ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Your fitness tracker, what kind is that and how does it work? Do you have to tell it what you are doing or does it detect it automatically?

Looks like just the built-in Apple watch fitness tracker.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/apple-watch-fitness-features/

#4940 10 months ago

Mama prepped the rib eyes. [quoted image]
And the pineapple [quoted image]

I thought she was pineapple tenderizing the steak for a minute there.

2 weeks later
#5115 10 months ago

I should. My wife does all the clothes shopping for us though so it is what she knows fit us ,the styles we wear etc without us having to be there.
Quality is going down hill though so I will likely start phasing them out.

What? Giving up on that sweet endorsement opportunity by calling out their quality?

just-do-it-HEP (resized).jpg
#5167 9 months ago

What’s the point in buying these if they come pre damaged?!!
Both of them.
Pure shit honestly!!![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'm sure Marco will make it right. Maybe if you bring it to their attention they will change the handling/storage procedures to stop the protective plastic from getting dragged.

#5171 9 months ago

Yeah I know they will but the last time the exact same thing happened then they sent me two replacements one of which had the tab welded in the wrong spot.
All the back and forth trying to get something as simple as what you ordered and a new part that actually looks new and fits is way more trouble than it should be.
These skins are about $100 each so it is ridiculous really.

Yeah I guess that goes back to poor reproductions again. Very few are interested in doing repro parts right. A thicker protective skin or individually wrapped doors would solve the marring issue for what? 30 cents in quantity? But those kinds of decisions go all through repros and usually err on the side of cheap/wrong.

#5210 9 months ago

I don't recall you saying - where do you get your color-accurate wire? I know BAA has some 18 and 22AWG, but it's not a lot. There are a lot of color/stripe combos often found in pinball he doesn't have. I was looking for some 24AWG and came up empty.

#5219 9 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

3M 467MP Adhesive
LTG : )

Works great for making your own replacement target decals, too.

http://www.theteardown.com/gallery/categories.php?cat_id=19

1 week later
#5286 9 months ago

Bookmark it or whatever they do here. This was the final and definitive overview of that.

I already had the other guidecoating discussion you did keyposted, but this is an even better explanation. I've been going back through and keyposting each finished machine post so they're easy to find, too.

1 week later
#5409 9 months ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

You do incredible work. High attention to detail. And i like the way you find work arounds for impossible stuff like matching the gradients.
Does anyone ever ask you to do your magic to more modern titles like machines that are from 2000s or 2010s? I was thinking classic sterns like LOTR or TSPP are getting toward the age where they may be rolling through?

Check out the topic index at the top of each page in this thread. It has most of the completed pins linked. There's a link to a completed Simpsons in there. He did a LotR, too, but I don't recall seeing final pictures for that one, just some in-progress ones.

#5432 9 months ago

The bank is now placed.
[quoted image]
I added a subtle spotlight to help brighten it up and make it a bit more of a focal point. [quoted image]
Truthfully this entire area could use a little more light because there is just no GI anywhere near the spinning dial. [quoted image]
The spotlight blends in well.It would have been easier to mount it on the plastic above the upper flipper but that would have block the line of site for the player [quoted image]

Those tiny directional LED spotlights Stern started using on Deadpool would be perfect for this. They don't need a large cone to direct the light and the whole assembly is about as big as a dime.

1 week later
#5497 8 months ago

Just about done with TOM.
This one had a few more extras to deal with.[quoted image]

Ugh. I know it's not your idea, but those LED strips are so gross. Ruins the substantial artistry of the playfield design.

I mean, if they HAD to have the ramps outlined in light, something like the optic fiber cable zip tied to the lip on the ramps to outline them HAS to look better...

amazon.com link »

#5501 8 months ago

Mods are always a hot button

I'm okay with tasteful mods here and there, but yikes, those are just TOO MUCH. At least they're reversible...

#5505 8 months ago

Sunday theme is New England.
Seafood chowder made this one with Alaskan prawns and salmon(Thanks Marc)
[quoted image]
Topped it with bacon and a thick slice of Gruyere cheese.
[quoted image]
Paired it with a small glass of 2019 Sam Adams’ Uptopias(Thanks Vince)
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

Okay, now I'm officially hungry.

#5558 8 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm anxious to see how this one turns out...

Yeah, it's a beautiful pin when it's like new. Problem is, there are almost none in the wild that look like new.

#5565 8 months ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I did this with my F-14.
[quoted image]
My first restore so don't critique me too much

Just makes me think Larry Blackmon

Cameo-Tasty-West (resized).jpg
#5586 8 months ago

POTO cabinet is prepped and ready to decal.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What a dramatic cosmetic improvement in what was a pretty sad cabinet!

#5590 8 months ago

POTO lower is decaled[quoted image]

Wow, looks like a good quality reproduction decal! Find any flaws?

#5592 8 months ago

...I was going to have to paint this cabinet manually but these actually met my needs.

Wait, so they make stencils for PotO? Seems crazy with all the fine detail in the scrollwork...

1 week later
#5647 8 months ago

Fathom 1 playfield slowly building up.
The wire guide holes have been a challenge.
There are lots of them and many were hard to spot or in need of adjustment.[quoted image][quoted image]

Mirror-polished ball guides are so great. Love that look.

2 weeks later
#5728 7 months ago
Quoted from hd60609:

OK. I'm throwing in the towel. I need advice. I am restoring a pin and love how HEP puts plugs on coils and switches underneath the playfield. I have looked everywhere through this thread and countless sites online and I can't seem to find a standardized molex configuration. Hopefully it's something so simple that I'm just missing. Trying to determine which wire goes into the pointed end of the molex plug. I thought I've see it both ways... The positive in the point? The negative in the point? I tried blowing up pictures to see the band on the diode to see if there was a consistent side for the plug.
I've see Chris even reverse the male and female pins so that someone couldn't plug in the wrong coil/switch. Is the pin/wire placement random or is there a system people follow? Thanks.

Doesn't really matter as long as you're consistent on your machines, IMO. It's just to keep you from getting connections backwards. Since it's not a factory thing (except for recent pins by AP, etc), it's open to invention.

1 week later
#5836 7 months ago

Spirit 3 has graduated from the paint shop.
Could not be happier with this one. Gloss level is exactly what I was after. Not too glossy not too flat.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You're a bad, BAD influence. I had little interest in a Spirit before all these starting being detailed, and now I want one. Beautiful work.

2 weeks later
#5973 6 months ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

I think that's the worst shooter lane I've ever seen!

You need to see more shooter lanes. It's mostly just dirty, but not blown out like many I have seen...

#5989 6 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

Also the BTC stencil work is questionable. Bally logo on the head, woof. Is that freehand?

Crappy auto-outline. The thickness is a dead giveaway.

#6023 6 months ago

Spirit 2 inside.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So you're not burning the logo in anymore? Why not punch the refurb date in like they did with serial numbers back then so there's no chance of it fading or being lost somehow? A paper label seems very fragile...

#6024 6 months ago

Hidden areas Spirit 2[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That AC/Adaptor in the backbox is kind of ugly with all the other clean work you have in there. Have you considered using a $18 meanwell dual (or triple) output 5v and 12v power supply? Something like the...

RT-65A
https://www.jameco.com/z/RD-65A-MEAN-WELL-Dual-Output-Enclosed-Power-Supply-5V-8A-and-12V-4A-66W_323505.html
or
RT-65B:

https://www.jameco.com/z/RT-65B-MEAN-WELL-Power-Supply-Triple-Output-5V-5A-12V-2-8A-12V-0-5A-65W_323540.html

It'd fit right in to the look of everything else in the backbox and wouldn't have all that ugly extra cord, you could cut the wire to fit.

#6037 6 months ago

IJ is finished. Doubt I will take outside pictures of it since I already have a few in the thread.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You can never have too many natural light awesome pictures of your work.

#6039 6 months ago

Finished IJ pictures.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You're building quite an impressive index...

This thread has become a great resource.

#6044 6 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I love the details and stories and documented challenges/solutions far more than the finished game posts. No idea why someone choses to index all those posts over the restoration knowledge.
PSTT.. game photos are automatically indexed in the thread gallery.

Just bookmarks for finished games to find those points much faster and easier than wading through the thread gallery. And all the important tips are indexed along with the finished games for easy access, too.

Index breakdown
21 Tip time posts
13 Misc information
30 Completed games

#6048 6 months ago

Both these are leaving tomorrow.

First HEP class of 2020 graduates...

#6053 6 months ago

The IJ is packed.
The protectors are placed over the protectors.
The levelers are run all the way down and then cranked down with a keep nut.

No nylon washers on the bolts to protect the leg holes from being chewed up?

1 week later
#6142 5 months ago

We are looking forward to the return of Jon Jones.
[quoted image]
With baby in the house we set up operations in a more peaceful spot.For us!
Mini couch and makeshift end table [quoted image]
Mini cornhole set up[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How long before mini-cornhole ends up on ESPN? I thought cornhole tournament broadcasts were a joke, but ESPN does them now.

#6196 5 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

You could try the method my little guy used at two weeks old. It says milk right on the bottle!
[quoted image]

Man, those FINGERS! That's a predestined pianist.

1 week later
#6266 5 months ago

Haha, that's how I added it to the keypost index...

1 week later
#6337 5 months ago

Bottom is done[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Was that bottom done with measurements, a paper template you made from the original playfield, or did you stack playfields and drill through from the original to the new one?

#6359 4 months ago

This is about all that can be done upfront.
Chemicals,sanding or pretty much anything else just creates more damage. [quoted image]
I will set and glue the inserts now.
I will do these with it clamped on the side Because they are very easy to move around. In this position they won’t sink as the epoxy sets up. [quoted image]

So what's the plan to get the wood coloring even in the playing area?

Basically, this is what CPR's one-off digital PF printing service was made for. Sand to a blank and re-print. Unfortunately, no one has done the art for this, nor probably ever will.

#6381 4 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

Have any of your customers ever requested no specks?

Only the racist ones.

Thats-Racist.gif
#6389 4 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I may have missed it, but I've wondered about coloring wire guides before. Do you buy them already colored or do you do it yourself?

A few posts up he was talking about sending them out to the powder coater.

#6392 4 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Cool, I should have scrolled up.

That. Is a T-Shirt.

#6410 4 months ago

Now some yellow and a touch of orange
Might be able to squeeze one or two more colors in before a flash of clear is needed but might not.
As the colors stack getting a tight mask ,good cuts and doing no harm to what has been done gets tougher And tougher.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, painstaking work.

#6449 4 months ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Technically this wasn't Chris' mistake. The cabinet he sourced was drilled wrong. Unless I am mistaken, they come drilled.
This is the HEP difference right here. He noticed and corrected the mistake before it even got out of the cabinet paining stage.
You pay for what you get indeed. Well done Chris!
Chris

Ha, "cabinet paining", indeed!

2 weeks later
#6526 4 months ago

I ended up having issues with the Rottendog rectifier board(no surprise). It smelt like something was burning and there was a crazy static coming through the speaker and pulsing with the displays when I did a power up of the cabinet solo. Turns I didn’t have the 7 volts just using the test points and who knows what else. Don’t have time or patience to figure out why it isn’t any good.
Swapped it for a better unit. Replaced a wire or three and moved on.

Installed and powered up. No more GI issues or burning smells.[quoted image]

Is that the rectifier board Marco is selling here:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PS2518-18

#6528 4 months ago

It looks like it or similar.
Pinball life also sells one.
One thing that really struck me as odd on the Rottendog was that it only had one heat sink on one Bridge rectifier the other has one per.
Also the other is clearly labeled with the solder designations on both side whereas the Rottendog is not.
Looking at the solder pads etc the Rottendog just doesn’t look as robust as the other version to me either.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah, I tried various rottendog products and eventually just gave up. Too many weird issues. Thanks for the followup. These kinds of details (part numbers, links, etc) are necessary when there's a Tip Time with Chris key post talking about a specific product that worked for you!

#6549 3 months ago

BK lower graduates the paint shop once again

I know you didn't want suggestions when you were working out the stencil design, but now you're done! A drop shadow or keyline/dropshadow combo would really make the Black Knight logo pop. I like the red with yellow drop shadow, personally.
bk_4_panel.jpg

blackknight_orig (resized).jpg
1 week later
#6610 3 months ago

Experimenting with that cameo thing.[quoted image]

And it's tax-deductible!

#6616 3 months ago

Curtis checks in for the night shift.
[quoted image]
He has his project. [quoted image]

An appropriate project for 4-20.

#6629 3 months ago

It was Marshall’s 20th birthday today.
Can’t believe this guy is 20!

What? No Animal Crossing??!

#6692 3 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Funny, when I was younger I was considering getting a Maaco $300 paint job (does anyone else remember those adds). Fortunately, I had a dad that loved me and knew a lot about cars who convinced me otherwise. When I found out how much a quality paint job cost, I decided to keep my '73 Chevelle "original".

Earl Schieb was that company when I was growing up in So Cal. Their ads were all over the place in the 1970s, and their reputation for shoddy work - legendary.

#6711 3 months ago

I don’t have a open bed scanner
Thought about grabbing a 4670 but I don’t have anything old enough to run it and most of the stuff here is Mac plus I am not computer oriented.
Is there an open bed scanner out there that works with Mac that can be used in a similar way?

You could just get a crappy Windows laptop specifically just to run the scanner and then transfer the files to the Mac via USB and edit there. Maybe a couple hundred bucks for the used laptop, used scanner, and a stand for the scanner.

#6716 3 months ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I can't imagine any of these 1) scan/shoot the original, 2) import into computer, 3) convert, 4) edit, 5) output to vinyl cutter, 6) weed, 7) apply with perfect alignment -- schemes are going to save any time OR produce better results than how Chris does things currently. You're just moving work around.

But once you do it with the scan, you have that forever. It may require adjustment for the next one (not this woodrail specifically, but...), but it will be MUCH less work the next time.

#6723 3 months ago

That is kind of what I thought too right now just given the learning curve coupled with my already limited tech savvy.
The hope I have for the silhouette is mostly to use it for small details and small custom touches.
For example on the woodrail I am hoping to use it to make a small stencil for the woman’s face.
That alone is a bit challenging at first it seems because the trace feature seems to pick up the wear just as much as the art but I am slowly figuring it out as I go.
I have a scan what is the next step or tool to use to do that?[quoted image][quoted image]

I would scan/photograph it at the highest possible resolution so you can blow it up to make the tracing, then scale it back down once the tracing is done. Much more accurate that way.

#6725 3 months ago

I read these reply’s. Then I remembered my dad personally closed a gaping wound in my leg with just alcohol And a pack of butterflies from the drugstore as he smoked his L&M cigarettes and told me to hold still
I still have a leg 35 years later and I am probably just as basic
Tape and a razor blade!

I split my scalp open from my hairline in the front to the crown of my head. My mom held it together as I held a wet washcloth with ice on it in the bathroom in front of the mirror until it clotted and the two halves held together. Once it was somewhat stable, she cut the matted hair away (reverse mohawk!) and wrapped an ace bandage around. Definitely should have had stitches, but the 70s were hardcore.

1 week later
#6782 88 days ago

Then it was cleared in full gloss again .
This won’t be the final clear although I am considering going full gloss on this one because of the car aspect in the art.
We shall see on that.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I didn't put it together until I saw this that Steve's police chase this game was based on ended in Lodi. Golden State Pinball festival should at least acknowledge that in some way since it's held in Lodi.

ACTUALLY, there's the poster for next year's festival! High Speed Lodi arrest event starring Steve Ritchie. Sponsored by Porsche.

1 week later
#6864 80 days ago
Quoted from chad:

Maverick needs a small stamp of a paw print to go on the official sign off sticker in the cabinet. After all he is over seeing all the work.

That could easily be done with an ink stamper once one print is made with the real paw to make the stamp. That would be a hilarious detail.

#6869 80 days ago

Now with the repaints and details done I want to age everything in a uniform way.

I know this project is a pain in the butt for you, but you should take on at least one a year. It's one of the most interesting, if not THE most interesting, to follow.

#6897 78 days ago

Cut the rails and mock it up a bit before gluing the rails on for good.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Have EMS on hand when he gets this, it may give him a heart attack. Fantastic work.

#6904 78 days ago

Ready to close the playfield out as well.
Sanded and wood grained with the suggested tool. [quoted image]
I played around with that for a while and through some various techniques and methodically sanding /blending I got a more subtle look
I will see how this looks once cleared but should be a bit more realistic looking. No doubt there will be some anomalies in the pattern but hopefully it will give an illusion of grain.

Are you putting the rest of the lettering back in the Gottlieb logo by her feet?

I don't know how paint flows with a rubber stamp, but you could use a vector of the lettering to have a $20 stamp made and then stamp the lettering onto the proper place. I made a quick vector PDF of the top part (with all the bumps and mistakes in the paint lines) to give you an idea. Most of the factory errors in the text lines disappear when you scale it down to actual size anyway.

Logo_test.pdf
#6906 78 days ago

No stuff like that is too small to mask off,too small to stencil and paint usually bleeds out
I had to decide if I wanted to freshen that area up and lose the small letters or leave it as is.
I left it as is at first but it was just too aged looking and obvious not to address so I did what would have the cleanest look given the choices and limitations.

But you can't use a rubber stamp with black paint? Too much bleeding? What about a reverse stamp, laying down black and stamping white paint to make the letters? Then you can feather the white into the rest of the cloud in the open area...
logo_city-state.pdf

#6908 78 days ago

Trim is cleared in the same matte finish as it was before. Just a shade darker this time [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Playfield is cleared. Wood grain is subtle but looks pretty natural overall it is a little more sparse around the art because it is hard to get too close on those areas without overlap.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That graining tool really helped the overall look.

#6928 77 days ago

Cleaned and polished the 5 cent mech. It seems to be missing a spring or perhaps a plate/part here.
Can’t find a picture of one.
If anyone can point me in the right direction on that it would be much appreciated.

I think that was put together wrong. Pretty sure this is the same assembly.

ABT Mfg. 5 Cent Push Coin Mechanism

ABT Mfg. 5 Cent Push Coin Mechanism nickel-assembly1.jpgnickel-assembly2.jpg
#6930 77 days ago
Quoted from setzkor:

This looks to be a similar unit...
ebay.com link

That one is much different. Look at the trim plate top edge. His is stair step there, that one is round. It's also a completely different manufacturer.

#6944 75 days ago

Woodrail playfield is sanded and polished using a bit coarser grits ,polish and pad.
This is to try and keep the gloss in check since matte clear is not a good alternative on playfields due to the inability to sand and polish it.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That graining tool is magic.

#6961 74 days ago

New red slots were installed [quoted image]
I made a new harness that has the essentials on the door but not things I don’t find needed in a home environment like the coin lock out. This also eliminates the higher voltages on the door. [quoted image]

Are you changing out the paper insert so it says the original 25 cents/push to reject instead of the suzo happ inserts?

#6984 72 days ago

I tried to find a in house solution to fill in the blank space of the woodrail apron.
Not wanting to do anything permanent.
I stenciled some vinyl and aged it to make it look in place on the apron.
Just something to fill in the blank there for now.

I don't know if you can layer vinyl to make drop shadows, but maybe the logo from the backglass for continuity?
Apron-shot.png

I made a vector PDF of the red part (no drop shadow or outline) if you want to try that in vinyl.

#6988 72 days ago

So sexy. I know you said this was a pain in the ass, but I really hope you do more in the future. One of your most interesting projects.

#6994 72 days ago

That looks really nice too.
I thought about trying to match the backglass lettering but after studying the apron a bit I like the more simple lettering for that because it was more like what was on that apron and the playfield but I only had a few fonts to pick from.
I think originally there is some type writer like printed card that gets stapled on there so this was something in between what is original and what you had in mind.

AH! So a pricing/replay card went there. Using Helvitica font it's pretty much a direct match, but the only picture I could find of a real SELECT-A-CARD one was so low-res I can't read some of the conditions on the right.

I guessed at the dimensions.

Select-A-Card-pricing card.jpg
Select-A-Card-pricing-orig.jpg

#6999 71 days ago

Okay, tracked down an actual higher-res SELECT-A-CARD instruction card and re-made it. These old cards crack me up. They're definitely hand-made and spaced. Extra spaces for no reason. Abbreviations where they weren't needed. Some sentences end in periods, others don't. 1 REPLAY has parenthesis, but 10 REPLAY doesn't - it gets a period instead. The best one on this card is MILLION is misspelled "MILLON" - I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get it to line up with the original art until I realized that it was missing an "I". I left all the weirdness and the spelling error in. It's exactly like the original card.

I assume that different card part numbers had different rules since this one is quite different than the other one I couldn't fully make out. But this one looks more like an instruction card, and all the information is correct with no guessing on my part due to low resolution, so it's definitely the better of the two. Still not sure on the sizing, so if you want to use it, let me know the dimensions of the area inside the red/black box outline on the apron and I'll size it properly without the black border.
SELECT-A-CARD-Pricing-2.jpg

#7023 69 days ago

Speaking of toppers I made the mistake of getting one from Marco. It has no holes and an odd shape.
[quoted image]
Second hole I made the piece of shit cracked!
$180?! Down the drain it is made of acrylic!!!
[quoted image]
For my other TAF I had ordered one from Pinball Inc
Much better. Made of PETG and has the holes. Needless to say I had to order another from Pinball Inc [quoted image]

Marco is really spinning the drain with aftermarket product quality. No idea what's happening over there...

#7035 67 days ago

Breaking the woodrail down to deliver tomorrow.
This is something else I never do that I am roped into on this one
At least I will know it arrives safely and gets set up properly.

HEP White Glove delivery origin story?

HEP-Delivery (resized).jpg
#7039 67 days ago

Amazing how well my head fits on that body

It was a little big compared to the original pencilneck, but photoshop is magic, so you scaled just fine.

Please keep taking around the house pics with you in different pose angles and posting them. It took a while to find one where your head was about the right orientation (Curtis almost became the deliveryman until I finally found one of you that would work). More choice is better.

#7042 67 days ago
Quoted from fnosm:

[quoted image]

Well, if THAT's the case...

thats-a-man-baby-gif-6.gif
#7044 67 days ago
Quoted from NYP:

Amazing job Chris, really one of your best! Here's the flyer if anyone wants to see:
https://nypinball.com/flyers/select-a-card/

You should upload that to ipdb. Theirs is much lower and crappier resolution.

#7070 61 days ago

No that’s just Curtis Corona Paranoia.
When he buys the baby toys they must be quarantined a few days before he opens them and disinfects.
Couldn’t hurt.

Better safe than sorry. At least he's making an effort. Some of these people I see on TV, I just SMH.

1 week later
#7117 53 days ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

I'm curious how they'll hold up as well. Last year at TPF someone had a wireform ramp on a game that was powder coated.. by the end there was a TON of powder coat that had chipped off and there was powder coat dust everywhere. I like the look it can give occasionally but now am hesitant to do it to my machines after seeing that.

Sounds like a bad powdercoating job. For ball guides, powdercoating holds up great. Less dust than grained stainless. Never done wireforms though. For the least amount of dust polish the guides to a mirror finish. AMAZINGLY durable, and they look great.

#7174 47 days ago

Broke out the air fryer to make Marshall some chicken tenders and waffle fries.
He loves Chick-fil-a but still doesn’t want to eat out so I do what I can to create the same feeling for him.[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Do you have the tub of Chick Fil A sauce they sell? That would complete the at-home experience.

#7202 45 days ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

So in the end it really all depends on what the owner thinks but I love it. My only concern would be putting those painted leg bolts on - I know I would mess them up in the process even if I was super careful. Maybe a small bottle of touch up paint should go along with the machine just in case? Or at least some "spare" painted bolts if you still have the paint in your gun?

Color-matched silicone or plastic caps for the leg bolts could work, too.

1 week later
#7261 38 days ago
Quoted from Davi:

Somehow Willie look like a vampire. Her tooth/tongue is definitely not according to original art.

Wow, you're totally right! Looks like Mirco tried to make her tongue more visible by removing much of her teeth. He also sharpened the angles of the lines of her upper lip so they're more pointed. The changes totally do make her look like a vampire!

EDIT: Looking at it more, it looks like they used the outline feature of illustrator and didn't hand-tune this because many of the lines on the Mirco one are thicker and longer. Especially the ones on her nose and her laugh lines by her mouth. Too thick, and too long. Really uglied her up.

Willie-Comparison (resized).jpg

#7263 38 days ago

I see that now that you mention it
Initially I thought the red just had more pop to it but that is definitely something I can correct.
Will need a touch of white there.

Was hoping you could. That's why I put them side by side. If you have a color to match her face it will allow you to thin her lower lip fat outline and soften the pointed edges at the middle of her upper lip. Also put more of a gap between the top of her laugh line and the nostril line that are almost touching due to the lazy auto-outlining Mirco did that made the lines too fat and big compared to the original art. The original has a much more natural-looking gap. Those and putting more teeth visible in her mouth would fix about 70% of the issues.

Sallah is also teeth-challenged. Too much thick black line in his mouth and not enough teeth, so his mouth looks too black on the Mirco one compared to stock.

#7279 36 days ago

TAF AA moves out.
HS moves into the finishing room. [quoted image]
The IJ run expands and this week I should get some others in here to start staging up as space allows.
[quoted image]

Holy crap, how many Indies are you doing at once this time?

#7289 35 days ago

Also found on the IJ KE game are wiring splices and butt connectors.
All sockets are rusted or corroded as well.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow. Was that a reimport? The corrosion and weird splices usually scream reimport based on the ones I've done.

#7292 35 days ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

What a mess, you have your work cut out for you. Fortunately that is not super difficult as long as someone did not get creative with re-wiring things that should not be.

Fortunately, he has two other reference pins to reconcile with right there.

#7299 34 days ago

Mama made a huge pan of spaghetti.
I slow cooked some beef shanks and we all ate pretty damn good for a Tuesday night.

Do you loan her out? We could use some eatin' like that.

Or maybe Hutchins frozen heat 'n gorge meals?

#7308 32 days ago

HEP vampire slayer!

SO much better.

#7310 32 days ago

I have two more to correct.
This one is non glitter. [quoted image]
The finish has settled really hard in it. Compared to how it look when I received it in that aspect it looks horrible.

Are you fixing the Y in SHORTY on this one? (Yellow is missing on the end of the Y, revealing the whip art underneath it, inside the letter outline where the yellow should be).

#7314 32 days ago

IJ 2 non glitter sanded.
Willie and shorty fixed.

You're doing god's work here. Well, technically you're doing Mirco's work, but...

#7337 28 days ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Do you have any experience with clearcoating over sharpie. Most people say it bleeds but I did a test on a sample piece and it looks fine.

If you're going that road, I would think a paint pen would be more reliable long-term. Sharpie will fade, too.

#7356 25 days ago

ES moves another color closer.

I don't think I've ever seen this pin with unfaded red. It's always oranges. Looking great.

1 week later
#7400 18 days ago

It’s all done.
If I can stand to rotate all the pictures I will get it outside for final pics.

That mobile picture thing posting pictures upside-down on pinside is super-annoying. Is robin making progress on fixing it?

#7425 17 days ago
Quoted from packie1:

Quick Question.
What are these called? Where can you find them?
Thanks
Mike
[quoted image]

Ladder/Tree Wiring Harness

You can get 5 at Pinball Life for the price of one at Marco.

https://www.pinballlife.com/sternsegadata-east-ladder-tree-wiring-harness-support-3-12-tall.html

#7428 17 days ago
Quoted from Toucanf16:

Maybe, but this one seems to be more trashed than most!
Nothing a new cabinet, decals, PF, translight, ramps, fasteners, wiring, reworked boards, plastics, tumbling, plating and lots of Chris’ talent can’t fix.

I've seen European reimports that had crappy shortcuts, bypasses, improvisations and hacks like this. But no one was passing those off as "restored." They all had excessive rust, too.

#7452 14 days ago

New week.
The IJ KE project should start wrapping up.
The cabinet is built and wired.

Why does the replating finish on the service outlet box look mottled in the side view pic?

#7456 14 days ago

That’s just the texture of the metal.
These parts are nickel plated not chrome or high polished so generally whatever you start with is what you end up with texture wise using that more simplified process
This is what the box starts out looking like. [quoted image]
[quoted image]
Once plated that type of multi-metal attracts the process differently so the texture remains.
Not all are made of this material so some will look perfectly smooth but those that are still look great.
[quoted image]

Thanks for the explanation and taking time to illustrate with pictures!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Castaic, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vireland.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside