IMG_1149 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1169 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1170 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1140 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1129 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1141 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1098 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

210 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #142 Alien repair completed Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #621 COMPLETED: Grand Prix Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #645 Tip Time with Chris - Compressor used for cabinet painting Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #651 Tip Time with Chris - Guide coating (part 1) Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #726 COMPLETED: Indiana Jones:The Pinball Adventure Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #803 A brief history of HEP Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #826 COMPLETED: Tommy Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #1228 COMPLETED: Addams Family Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #1287 Rebuilding a backbox lampboard Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #1430 Head and Cabinet stripping and repair process Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radial_head.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5673 4 years ago

Amazing work! Thanks for posting such detailed photos of your process.

#5688 4 years ago

Eagerly watching this one! I just picked up a Black Hole and am curious to see what you come across/hear your takeaways on it.

#5701 4 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

BH is about as far as it goes for now.
I finished working over the pop bumper “touch ups”
[quoted image]
Now I can copy the coin door for my Spirit 2 rebuild. I know Bally doors,Williams door by heart but not these.[quoted image]

Thanks for these updates! It's always really helpful for me to see somebody else's process on these sorts of things.

1 month later
#5983 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

HEP exposed! Shows fake before & after "process" photos of a beater and an NOS playfield. I knew there had to be a catch.

Is this a joke?

1 week later
#6057 4 years ago

Ooooooo I see a Haunted House! That's my favorite game of all time, and I'd love to watch that one get done

1 week later
#6159 4 years ago

Amazing. How many test games do you play on these before you ship them back? I'd be wanting to play each one of them for at least an hour.

1 week later
#6214 4 years ago

Chris you must get asked this a million times but do you ever do just playfield work? People send you a totally stripped playfield for touchups and clearing?

1 week later
#6277 4 years ago

It is time to get back to the HG.

I guess I never noticed the irony that the HG playfield has wood painted onto it... over wood. Just kind of makes me chuckle. Coming along great.

#6320 4 years ago

Large playfield shipment arrives. [quoted image]

Very eager to see you work on Haunted House. It's a game in my collection that I really consider sending you from time to time. I'm curious, you get a lot of cabinets delivered. When and how do you decide to get a new game cabinet CNC'd? I noticed HH is still the original cabinet in the lineup, so I'd love to know what you look for and when you think you're going to ditch the old one.

Thanks for keeping this thread going so nicely, neatly, and consistently!

4 weeks later
#6514 4 years ago

Looks awesome! I particularly like the tough of the grey G.I. wires on this one for some reason. I have to say, I've regretted it every time I've ever put LEDs in an 80s game. Both Haunted House and Black Hole in my collection have LEDs throughout, and I absolutely miss the look and motion of incandescents. There is magic in those fractions of seconds that it takes for a lamp to heat up and cool down.

1 month later
#6754 3 years ago

Mulch has to be one of the worst smells of all time.

2 weeks later
#6972 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Interesting to see you using the 555 sockets in the pops. Typically those sockets sit higher then the bayonet ones and, if I am correct, the caps don't have screws so interested in seeing if the caps stay on.

Well if LEDs are going in there, the LEDs will have a shorter bulb height than the original #44/#47 bulb height so it should even out properly.

#7011 3 years ago

Homemade oatmeal,butterscotch and raisin cookies.

Oatmeal raisin is the best cookie and anybody who disagrees can fight me. Woodrail turned out amazingly. Congrats.

1 month later
#7374 3 years ago

What do the letters after the game abbreviation mean? I feel like I'm missing something.

#7449 3 years ago

Crazy to me that a game called cyclops has a woman with two eyes on the side the cabinet...

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#7492 3 years ago
Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

Why no love for Medusa? It’s got to be the target bank not to mention all the other items crammed onto the playfield including the zipper flippers. You are lucky there are not many left. How can it be worse than a Centaur?

I think al the things you just mentioned are enough reason to not love working on them...... Chris is a restorer, not a collector.

#7522 3 years ago

A little cabinet touch up as well although depending on timing and budget I could see clearing that entirely since it is the last Stern without decals.

Wow, the low-res half toning on the cabinet artwork looks terrible! What were they thinking?

2 weeks later
#7609 3 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

The one thing that struck me looking at the pics, though, are the flat plastics. Like the jackpot sign, slingshot plastics, and just a couple others are all that's "left" that's not more of a 3D kind of art piece. Would be cool if someone did some kind of textured replacement for those...something with the same basic art, just with a little bit of added texture. The close up pics make it worse than I'm sure it is in real life, but things like those three rivet heads on the jackpot sign also jump out.

I was going to comment on the instruction and score cards, but I figured the customer likely insisted on using THOSE cards fitting flush or not. I know it's the easiest thing to mod, but I've always preferred stock instruction cards.

#7617 3 years ago

I honestly get so sick and tired of these f*****g cheap toys people sell for some of these games.
They rarely hold up.

Hear Hear!!! Not only do they not hold up, I feel that they add nothing to the game personally.

Also wasn't trying to rip you about those cards. To me, non stock cards are just another cheap toy

1 month later
#7834 3 years ago

Cyclopes playfield is torn down.

Really enjoying seeing this one. Thanks for all of the pictures. Love the forced perspective of the artwork with the staircase.

Again, still really boggles my mind how often they use the word "eyes" plural for a game ostensibly about beasts with one eye.

1 week later
#7857 3 years ago

Love me a good birthday that's divisible by 12. Have a good one!

1 week later
#7919 3 years ago

Really a shame how poor the original keylines are on those bonus inserts.

Looking GREAT and I really appreciate the process photos of the more detailed parts of this process.

#7931 3 years ago

OOOOOOOO I'VE BEEN WAITING TO WATCH THIS ONE!!!!

Quoted from ToucanF16:

Maybe a better question for another forum, but does HH play similar to BH?

Totally different gameplay (completely different style of rules, one being noticeably better than the other) but the artwork is really what makes HH shine. Very excited to see some photos from this job. Endless little artwork bits have fun with.

#7965 3 years ago

I need a 6800uf 25v capacitor

You need to replace that orange filter cap with one with a higher value. That cap is known to wreak havoc on all system 80 games. Often times people put 15,000uf 50v caps in but I've read/been told that that ends up shocking the filter caps in a serious manner and if those aren't in a good place, it will end poorly.

Clay's guides say that 10,000 uf is a sweet spot. I have this one in my HH and it hasn't caused my any problems and fits directly in the bracket already mounted to the board.
ebay.com link: 1 PC 10 000uf 10000uf 10000mfd 50V Electrolytic Capacitor 105c

#7969 3 years ago
Quoted from Bakerman:

Can you please tell me what this means as I have never heard of it?

Shock wasn't the right word. I'm no EE and I don't want to derail this beautiful thread, but from my understanding that filter cap doesn't have enough capacitance to properly filter the voltages coming in from the 12v tap off the transformer. Value too high, and it puts stress on the 12vdc bridge rectifier. There's plenty written about it online from more capable people than myself

#7979 3 years ago

Nope. There should be a rubber stretching between two posts by the upper VUK. Without it, the ball will fall into the machine and behind the lower playfield (and will by Murphy's Law, land in-between two lugs on the transformer and short the whole game out and make a BIG spark).

Your first picture is right but it's installed backwards. It should mimic the shape of the plastic/post area. It works as an upper playfield deflector to prevent a ball hopping up there and getting stuck/breaking the plastic from the upper PF pop bumper

IMG_0834 (resized).JPGIMG_0834 (resized).JPGIMG_0836 (resized).JPGIMG_0836 (resized).JPG

To be honest, I'm not really sure a ball has ever actually hopped up there and broken a plastic, but that's where it's supposed to be.

#7984 3 years ago

Color changing LEDs in the light up post.

I tried putting the "fire" LED in those posts from Comet and really didn't like the motion of it. Was hoping for a really subtle flicker but not so much. Might try putting a piece of diffusion over it to make it seem a little more realistic but who knows.

Those illuminated posts get REALLY hot with regular incandescents and I had to buy some long lamp sockets for them to accommodate frosted LEDs.

2 weeks later
1 week later
#8164 3 years ago

Looks great. I think I'll try this next week.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 week later
#8227 3 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Can't wait to play this one when its all done.

This is a really interesting point to me. I feel like the two main pieces of thrill for the commons is the thrill of watching and following this thread and the thrill of owning a genuine HEP game. It’s rare to have the opportunity to play and look at one as a casual observer.

If anybody in NE has an HEP and wouldn’t mind me looking at it, shoot me a PM

#8236 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Are you using an LED OCD to make the insert LEDs attack and decay more naturally? I love that product. Spectacular results.

Anybody who puts money into these restorations and doesn't use the LEDOCD for both GI and Inserts is a fool tbh.

#8270 3 years ago

I noticed in your Addams Family Video Updates™️ that you don't recommend using a beefed up speaker in the in cabinet woofer. Curious which speakers you DO use and recommend as the "stock" speakers for WPC games, Pre and Post DCS sound board?

1 month later
#8360 3 years ago

MORE SPIRIT!!! YES!!!

Chris, while I’m at it, do you find that games that get completely new cabinets are heavier than the original cabinets?

#8370 3 years ago

Interesting to notice that the shooter rod area is notched like that. I was under the impression that that was only on Haunted House to accommodate for the playfield angle and the higher legs. Is spirit 27" legs all around or does it have the 31" legs in the back just like Haunted House?

1 week later
#8441 3 years ago

Always so cool to see a rare pin get the HEP treatment. Also adding Cyclopes to the “horniest pins of all time” list.

1 week later
#8494 3 years ago

Knockout cabinet continues building up.
I usually install a keyless lock on the back doors.

But then how are they going to keep people from stealing it on location???

1 month later
3 months later
#9430 2 years ago

Honestly, I'm here for the shop organization imagery maybe even more so than the playfield/pinball imagery. Looks great.

3 months later
#10113 2 years ago

Really been enjoying the video updates Chris. Thanks for those!

5 months later
4 months later
#11494 1 year ago

Very timely. I'm working on a Sopranos teardown myself right now, so I'll be watching all your PF repopulation closely to see what pictures I forgot to take

#11509 1 year ago
Quoted from ryank11379:

It needs a gabagool topper. Maybe some dry aged salami.

I have been desperately trying to find some sort of plastic spaghetti figurine that I can drill a hole in to replace the pole dancing girls.

5 months later
#11943 1 year ago

Playfield clearing

Alright, which one of you freaks out there is sending all of their Sys80 playfields to Chris and making me fawn over them.

Furthermore, when they're all finished, can I come over.

4 weeks later
#12026 1 year ago

Alright, Pinball Magic looks great, but I want to know who the hell is sending you their backlog of NOS Gottlieb Playfields you have hidden in the corners of your shop. Make yourself known.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radial_head.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18?tu=radial_head and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.