31%
  • Blacked out 54 votes
    48%
  • Painted Gold matched to cabinet 24 votes
    21%

(113 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

There have been 11,991 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
B63113F7-E827-476B-B912-C39912212E07 (resized).jpeg
D4ED000A-717C-4CC3-9DFD-0B7F74908911 (resized).jpeg
A4304EA1-DBAA-401D-B696-01749B30888F (resized).jpeg
D2F5874D-0F5F-4C3E-AF6D-910F7250EF0F (resized).jpeg
AF2A1DDD-C8B8-4786-858A-88F1850277ED (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

63 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #142 Alien repair completed Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #621 Grand Prix completed Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #651 Tip Time with Chris - Guide coating (part 1) Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #726 Indiana Jones:The Pinball Adventure completed Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #803 A brief history of HEP Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #826 Tommy completed Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #1228 Addams Family completed Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #1287 Rebuilding a backbox lampboard Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #1430 Head and Cabinet stripping and repair process Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #1485 Special Eight Ball Deluxe completed Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #1519 Comparing original to CPR Addams Family repro playfield Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #1823 Addams Family (w/purple topper) completed Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #2073 Comparison between prototype and production Whirlwind Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #2120 Eight Ball Deluxe completed Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #2183 Tip Time with Chris - Sanding and polishing playfield process Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #2212 Tip Time with Chris - T-Nut installation Posted by High_End_Pins (1 year ago)

Post #2414 Dr. Who completed Posted by High_End_Pins (11 months ago)

Post #2802 Simpsons Pinball Party completed Posted by High_End_Pins (10 months ago)

Post #2888 Special Whirlwind completed Posted by High_End_Pins (10 months ago)

Post #3007 Indiana Jones:The Pinball Adventure (gold trim) completed Posted by High_End_Pins (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lb1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#98 1 year ago

Clearly wasn't on the floor for very long!

1 month later
#913 1 year ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Never seen this one before
Think they chiseled out a recess for the bookcase bracket.
Probably trying to level it.
[quoted image]

Possibly chiseled by Pat himself - in which case the proper thing to do would to preserve this irreplaceable piece of pinball history

#969 1 year ago
Quoted from epeabs:

So you tumble your parts for several days? No wonder mine don't come out that nice.

Chris also uses military grade tumblers.

2 weeks later
#1293 1 year ago

Looking forward to see your magic applied to The Shadow!

1 week later
#1435 1 year ago

Why the red versus black fiberglass? Different strengths and/or products?

1 week later
#1577 1 year ago

Factory has a square shaped hole on the outside to account for the carriage bolt, hasn't it? Is there any downside to making it round? Like risking to have the bolt head turn as you tighten screw on the inside the and wrinkle the freshly installed decal. Ask me how I know....

#1602 1 year ago

The clear on the hand makes it look like it was lubricated too.

#1617 1 year ago

How the powder coating longevity on the ball guides? Wouldn't you risk getting some ball trails?

#1691 1 year ago

No doubt he requested to go back so he looks good for Christmas. Plus, it's a great opportunity for a mother & son special outing.

#1707 1 year ago

Looking forward to seeing how you handle the half-tone dots!

#1729 1 year ago

Beautiful work on the half-tone dots & jackets. Looks much better than the original in my opinion.

#1748 1 year ago

Merry XMas to you Chris and thank you for this great thread.

2 weeks later
#1918 1 year ago

One of the biggest obstacles in traveling to the shop on foot is the road itself.
There are stretches with little shoulder and visibility.

Good to see you're being extra-careful. Stephen King got badly injured and almost killed in 1999 as he was taking his daily walk on the shoulder of Maine State Route 5.

#1974 1 year ago

We’d rather have our fun and freedom than money or fame.

I'd say you are famous with the crowd that matters.

#2007 1 year ago
Quoted from Bakerman:

I agree, but it does take up quite a lot of time (usually my evenings).
The next time that you mount new self-adhesive art on a cabinet would it be possible to show your technique in some greater detail? Wet or dry? Sanding of the corners? My results are OK but yours look great and I would love to learn a little more.
Thanks again for the thread

This dry install video is excellent.

#2017 1 year ago
Quoted from Bakerman:

Could you recommend any video of that?

Here is one:

Wet takes a lot more time, particularly because you have to wait for the decal to dry between flipping to the other side and you need to install protection to avoid having the install fluid mess up the rest of the cabinet. The big advantage is that's it a lot more forgiving for folks with less experience.

Quoted from cosmokramer:

I dry installed about 6 cabinets before a buddy showed me the wet method...now I only do it wet

I'm surprised, it's usually the other way around. Once you get more comfortable you switch from wet to dry.

#2024 1 year ago

The two major food groups in HEP's diet are clearly salmon and dark beer. Chris is possibly salmons' public enemy #1 at this point.

1 week later
#2118 1 year ago

1-21-19
It’s Curtis’s 21st Birthday!!
He is still asleep and Maverick is also pretty tired after yesterday’s festivities and the games.
All were awesome despite the lousy officiating
Maverick knows this is the part of the day he will be anchored down and mostly ignored as I work on my projects so he knows how to make himself comfortable.
We hate to anchor him down but trust me it is for his own good. He gets into more shit than you could ever imagine. Nothing is safe,not a wire,zip tie,cardboard box,playfield. Nothing!
[quoted image]

Maverick looks like he’s half in some giant frog’s mouth.

#2132 1 year ago

Surely Maverick gets a taste of this delicious looking salmon?
Salmon drives our cat insane. She jumps on the table and nearly attacks us to get a piece.

#2204 1 year ago

Speaking of the realities of being an adult I have to include the occasional disappointment when you find out the 9 miles you just peddled does not count towards the silly goal on the watch
WTF!!!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Just like when you were 14. No worry in the world. No point counting the miles. Just having to decide in which order to hit seven eleven, the game parlor and your girlfriends’ houses.

#2302 12 months ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Here is how I do it. Label baggie with number and description, take picture of said bag, then pics along the way (often of parts pointing to its respective mounting location), then images that appear between baggie pics is what goes into a folder labeled same as baggie, then when sorting images, each section of parts is then sorted automatically.

I did it the exact same way early on and eventually stopped bagging the parts together. It adds a lot of time, and if I'm going to tumble parts for 3 days, I'm better off putting them all together. With detailed pictures, it's not all that difficult to figure out what goes where.

1 week later
#2465 11 months ago

I have definitely documented it over the years but I do remember dealing with it on the NOS playfield used on this SOF.
Was a pretty involved restore overall and definitely deserves a read if you like this sort of thing
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album204

That is a totally awesome gallery!

#2498 11 months ago

For not only grabbing and delivering my beer order from his neck of the woods.

Your beer choices are getting bolder.

4 weeks later
#2794 10 months ago

You're spraying oil based Rust Oleum thinned with acetone, correct?

#2826 10 months ago

Dry rot and/or not enough space?

#2853 10 months ago

Mama picks Maverick up from the groomers.
[quoted image]

I can totally see this little guy having a successful modeling and/or acting career.

1 month later
#3162 9 months ago

Chris - I was looking at your LOTR gallery and noticed you have the right external wire on the left ramp inside the stainless ball guide. I have it the same.

When the wire is on the inside, the ball hits it. On the other hand, when it is on the outside, I can see how the additional speed would send the ball flying off the ramp a lot more often. Do you have an opinion on the appropriate setup?

Capture (resized).PNG
2 weeks later
#3278 8 months ago

The value proposition must have been attractive to beat the plate of chicken tenders and ribeye he had for dinner last night.

2 weeks later
#3367 8 months ago

Chris - what do you use for respiratory protection when spraying 2 parts paints and clear? I recall seeing a picture of you a while back with a mouth / nose only mask. Some recent info I saw in https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club/page/16#post-5015674 suggests not only that you need full face protection but also that the cartridges have to be changed very often. Personally I have been using a full mask but never really bothered changing the cartridges.

2 weeks later
#3620 7 months ago

Go Curtis! Any interest in joining the family business?

2 months later
#4423 5 months ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

That thing is sick.

This is the exact word that came to my mind when I saw the finished game.

2 months later
#5249 3 months ago
Quoted from treborlicec:

Hey, Chris. Could you advise what the exact name of that tool you use in your drill to polish the guide rails? Looks like a paddle wheel of red scotch bright, but I'm not finding it online with random google search terms that seem like they should make sense. Thanks in advance.

Is this what you're looking for?

amazon.com link »

2 weeks later
#5414 82 days ago

No. I haven’t.
For me I find most of the time that grits that go over 2500 to 3000 are not going to do much of anything substantial enough to justify the step.
If you were polishing a jet black show car that no one could even touch it might be practical but nothing useful in the world of pinball I can think of.

I had a jet black car once - my first and my last. It looked great for about two hours after being washed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mt Vernon, WA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lb1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside