IMG_0878 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0873 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0887 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0784 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0831 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0836 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

210 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #142 Alien repair completed Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #621 COMPLETED: Grand Prix Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #645 Tip Time with Chris - Compressor used for cabinet painting Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #651 Tip Time with Chris - Guide coating (part 1) Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #726 COMPLETED: Indiana Jones:The Pinball Adventure Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #803 A brief history of HEP Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #826 COMPLETED: Tommy Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #1228 COMPLETED: Addams Family Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #1287 Rebuilding a backbox lampboard Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #1430 Head and Cabinet stripping and repair process Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#51 5 years ago
Quoted from Phatchit:

I have a 1960s willams jungle that has the animated Backglass and the cool cabinet with the ledge with the cigarette holder . I plan to send it to you some day hopefully sooner than later . I think you are one of the few people who could do it justice . I already have a rare plastic set for it and the playfield is nice , just needs your touch . Hopefully I see it in the line up some day . Thanks for the awesome restores and taking the time to document. Keep on keeping on
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

while I'd really love to say that jungle is a worthless game and that I guess I would take it off your hands, in truth it's got to be one of my favorite older titles of all time that terry (pinball life) and the chicago boys introduced me

you've got a fine candidate to start with and chris would definitely be the person that I would recommend sending it to make it look nicer than the day that it rolled off of the factory line

#83 5 years ago

before and after comparison photo
before-after (resized).jpgbefore-after (resized).jpg

#105 5 years ago

chris, what's the purpose of this nail inside of the rubber ring arrangement behind the switch on the joker poker?
joker poker (nail) (resized).jpgjoker poker (nail) (resized).jpg

#109 5 years ago

psd4me 's comment makes the most sense. the only way a ball could get in there would be in the rubber snapped as well (and then you'd have the issue of the ball being able to enter from that upper right area

#113 5 years ago

really nice work chris

#211 5 years ago

looks good chris

2 questions: you're just using frisket and freehand cutting it with a scalpel or x-acto blade to mask the areas? and blocking out areas where there is text on the playfield?

#251 5 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Misfits skull on the helmet! You've certainly taken their DIY ethos to heart

yea, misfits are a great clothing line! (inside joke for everyone that's not a millenial

#272 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I wouldn't insult him like that. Brady's a has been.

o-din's got a point. heck, the lions beat him last week

#282 5 years ago

the ADD in me wants to drive down and just clean up all your festool tools

#360 5 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Woke up to a flat tire on the oldest sons truck k. [quoted image]
Changed that.
Then put the side decals on IJ.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I see that was the only one to thumbs up you for this post. it was for the progress on the IJ (not your tire changing skills

#400 5 years ago

chris:
what are you using for tumbling media? it looks different than the typical walnut shells

#414 5 years ago

is there any reason why the decals are applied prior to drilling the holes for pivot bolts (thereby removing the potential of tearing the decal?

edit: apparently cosmo and I have the same question

#448 5 years ago

New rails installed using mini screws

I like this approach. can you provide details on the type of screws are you using?

#499 5 years ago

bookcase? no, we don't need that. this is the SLE, complete with a huge gobble hole

I'm guessing that the airhorn is part of that fantastic approved burger alarm security system?

#504 5 years ago

Alarm is out and it looks like HEP headquarters will have a new security system

so, you're putting a slam switch on the garage door?

#553 5 years ago

Time for my better half to fix my dinner.

yes, the founder's curmudgeon is pretty darn tasty

however, why do you keep avoiding the "what's in your tumbler" question?!? is it some secret media recipe handed down by your great-great-great grandmother hutchins?

ps
I've decided that I'm holding your belated b-day beer present hostage until we get an answer. inquiring minds want NEED to know

#555 5 years ago

ok, I guess that I'll send you the beer, but only if you post it when you drink one

#567 5 years ago

I would have thought that all things considered, the side panels are pretty much interchangeable until the corners are mitered for the join (unless that is done during the cnc process and the left and right side could have been swapped around so that the knots were on the inside where it was not visible

#584 5 years ago

Back at the warehouse unpacking yesterday’s cabinet order.
Need to grab the new TAF cabinet.
No Flipper button holes

are you sure that's a TAF cabinet and not a munsters LE?

#682 5 years ago
1 week later
#823 5 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Hopefully that shooter knob is on its way to the trash.

yeah, why on earth would they put a clay harrell shooter knob on that TAF?

1 week later
#988 5 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Chris also uses military grade tumblers.

the large harbor freight tumbler is actually really nice (and a lot quieter than that small cheap one that they sell
https://www.harborfreight.com/18-lb-vibratory-bowl-with-liquid-drain-hose-96923.html

#1023 5 years ago

not to be a "debbie downer", but would the hat and the face look better if you flipped the gold and cream?

edit:
then again, maybe not
8 ball deluxe (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe (resized).jpg

#1082 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I've always wondered. A rotisserie makes things so much simpler but I get you have a process.
So...you populate the first layer on the topside, flip it over, populate the majority of the underside, then place it in the game to finish the rest of the topside?

hey! aren't you retired old man?

#1086 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I thought I was. I recently picked up a HH from a friend. I need to swap playfields for him. I'll be using a rotisserie.

yeah, I couldn't see trying to handle that HH playfield without one. that thing is a beast, especially when completely assembled. 3 floors of fun? more like 3 floors of weight, weight and some more weight!

#1130 5 years ago

nice job chris. you enlarged that hole by about 1/4", correct? not a lot of room for error given the position of the original hole

#1136 5 years ago

scot from (pinrestore.com) is a great guy and has quite a few [must have] items for restorations all in one place

#1226 5 years ago

note to self:
do not fall behind in the HEP thread, otherwise it will take forever to catch back up

#1263 5 years ago

I still like what we chatted about last night. etching the metal and going with a black brushed look. would still be nice and clean looking and less likely to get all "fingerprinty"

#1272 5 years ago

Let’s get this midday workout nonsense over with today.
1 minute count down.
This is an interval clock.
You are active one minute and get twenty seconds to recover.

I think that one of the run-dmd clocks would look much better

#1303 5 years ago

I'm glad that you brought up the costs chris. even something like lamp sockets, I;ve always been amazed that you don't see the "true" cost for something until you keep track of everything in a spreadsheet and start adding it up. in fact, I think that's why many people don't. they really don't want to know how much money they've sunk into a restoration project (especially those that are married

I know that I recently spent well over $100 in lamp sockets alone so that when I receive the CPR joust playfield to re-do mine, and that's just the start (on top of the $1000 for the reproduction playfield!

#1348 5 years ago

the coin door really came out nice. and I like the black anodized lockset with the gold

1 week later
#1455 5 years ago

I like the black post/white rubber combination. great match for this title

1 week later
#1563 5 years ago

TAFTC translite is polished on the front side
New channels
Assembled

is it just me, or has anyone else ever wondered why the side channels do not fill up the entire side of the translite glass? blocking the light would be a lot more effective if the channels ran the length of the glass on the top and bottom and just between on the sides, rather than the 1/2" gap that exists on the side channels

#1571 5 years ago

Ready for the scrap heap.
[quoted image]

you're not going to list it on craigslist as a "project" pinball?

#1625 5 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

For everyone reading this post I think Chris has actually been keeping a secret. I think he was cloned and there are actually 3 or 4 Chris's doing all that work.

this is a lie. chris has secretly kidnapped brian kelly and jim mccune and has them held hostage working under duress. both mr. kelly and mr. mccune have been absent on pinside, so this is all the confirmation needed. also, if you notice mr. hutchins is always smiling in his photos. no one in their right mind would be doing that after seeing some of the things that he's documented

#1696 5 years ago

bark box comes with premium beers?!? I need to get a dog stat!

#1758 5 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Question?
Do you ever drink any beer that you can see thru?

I believe that you are confusing mr. hutchins with mr. bryan (bud light orange is the "best" beer ever created) kelly

#1846 5 years ago
Quoted from bohunr:

Doesn't beer go bad? It's not like wine right? I don't drink beer but I remember the "Bitter Beer Face" ads.

depends on the ingredients in the beer. milkshake stouts have a shelf life of about 3 months after brewing due to the milk lactose in it. bourbon barrel aged and other [high octane] (10% ABV or more) beers can last for years if properly stored and actually taste better after "resting" for a period of a year or more

you don't want to temperature cycle them over and over, but rather store them at a nice constant 66-72° in a dry place until you're ready to chill them down for consumption

1 week later
#1919 5 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Good to see you're being extra-careful. Stephen King got badly injured and almost killed in 1999 as he was taking his daily walk on the shoulder of Maine State Route 5.

that's chris, super careful. he hasn't posted his running attire outfit which looks something like this:
beedo.gifbeedo.gif

#1923 5 years ago

what exactly is a "buss tap"?

2 weeks later
#2127 5 years ago

Our oldest son Curtis turns 21 tomorrow.
He has to work so we celebrate today.
What does he want to eat?

read this and for some reason I immediately thought of this

#2269 5 years ago

chris
if you don't mind, I'll add a more more details to your t-nut and pop bumper nail installation instructions

t-nuts
when installing these into new playfields, it's best to lie the playfield face down on a clean, soft towel so that the top side is not marred. additionally, I like to place the t-nut into the hole and then strike it once or twice with a dead blow hammer to make starter holes for the 3 spikes that will ultimately bite into the wood. by doing this, it prevents the t-nut from spinning and chewing up the wood on the underside of the playfield when drawing them in

pop bumper nails
using a countersink tool, carefully enlarge the hole on the top side of the playfield for each pop bumper nail, creating a recessed area that has an outer diameter the same size as the diameter of the nails (the depth of the hole will depend on the shape of your countersink bit.
this way, when you drawn the nails down into the playfield, the fins will not bite into the surrounding clearcoat on the playfield and chip or crack it

#2333 5 years ago

Made it to the sidewalks.
I bet I can beat her home. !
[quoted image]

hmm... this comes to mind

1 week later
#2480 5 years ago

yeah, I feel for you guys in MN although michigan's weather has been something out of a sci-fi movie
last week we hit -17F (about -40F+ with the windchill), and then it was somewhere in the upper 30s later that week. this week tuesday, we awoke to 1-2" of ice covered streets and roads

it's supposed to hit 52F this evening and then tomorrow evening it's back down to 12F

#2550 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

The big question is, can anything be done about the hair loss?

just because bryan and mr. shatner go to the same "wig" guy, he thinks he's big stuff

what I'm waiting for is chris to start a 2nd job and find him showing up on everyone's peloton bike as the [mean] coach

#2633 5 years ago
Quoted from mastercello:

Great advice....you do this with a Dremel and a small drill bit?
Only on for the smaller T-nuts or also for the #8 ones?

the pilot holes work great for all sizes of t-nuts. they prevent the prongs from accidentally spinning and tearing up the underside of the playfield when they don't bite and hold initially instead of being drawn into the wood

1 month later
#2997 5 years ago

yup. a huge cold snap running down the east coast.

we hit 66F last week friday, and then got hit with enough snow sunday evening to ice up my deck and stick to all of the ground that wasn't concrete here in michigan. this morning it was only 22F on my drive into work

#3020 5 years ago

very nicely done. I love the gold trim for the [showroom] look but hate the fact that if it were mine, I'd probably be very OCD about keeping fingerprints off of it

have you ever done this game (or other games with the gun shooter) where the lockdown and side rails were done in chrome or gold, but the gun was finished off to look more authentic? (or would it not look as well that way?

1 week later
#3109 5 years ago

A new heavy duty cord is used and new line filter. [quoted image]
Extended wiring and thoughtful placement allows me to install it in a more ideal place. [quoted image]
The cord is a good length as well.
[quoted image]

the corcom line filters can be found here:
https://www.newark.com/corcom-te-connectivity/5vk1/rfi-power-line-filter-5a-1ma/dp/52K3853?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsr7mrojV4QIVG57ACh3Z8AcvEAYYBCABEgKX8PD_BwE&gross_price=true&mckv=sfNhQIRxn_dc|pcrid|81515567901|plid||kword||match||slid||product|52K3853|pgrid|20376568341|ptaid|pla-80746111701|&CAWELAID=120185550001098854&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=20376568341&CMP=KNC-GUSA-GEN-SHOPPING-Passive_Components&CATCI=pla-80746111701

newark.com is about $3 ea cheaper than digi-key

1 month later
#3377 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

This is poor advice which will harm pinballers, in case anyone ends up here and follows it.
2K contains components that consume standard OV cartridges within 30 minutes of exposure. The 3M recommendation is use supplied air or have a replacement schedule in effect. A full mask is also required, because some of the aerosolized compounds in 2K readily absorb through your eyes and skin. So: wear a full mask with OVN95 filters, because that's what you need.
I work on construction sites too. I wear my hard hat, but I don't stand under that steel beam when a load is being hoisted. It's not an occupational hazard that has to be accepted, and considering that construction safety is my occupation, I quite resent that the general public thinks that I go to work accepting any risk of getting my head caved in.

sound advise (but rather humorous coming from the guy that is using handy, one of the "happy tree friends" as his avatar

1 week later
#3581 4 years ago

very nice work. especially with the transitions in the silver

2 weeks later
#3765 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Why not just go nvram instead of batteries?

and isn't there an issue with nvram not keeping time so things like "midnight madness" don't work properly

2 weeks later
#4009 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Chris, some questions
1) on the wire guides... I wonder if you could get like a scroll saw blade and maybe run it in the holes to pre-cut some of the grooves? The barbs on those posts look quite big.. I wonder if a 'middle ground' might help in that if you reduced the size of the barbs (without removing them entirely) could help by reducing how much they displace, while still offering their original purpose. Because the groove portion is still going to be a high risk area as you reinstall (or future removals). Will you try to remove some of the clear from the barb 'line' like a star rollover before reinstall?

good question. I'm wondering if a small dremel cut-off wheel could be used to break through the clear where the barbs would potentially cause issues with chipping the clear. it looks like you would only need to enlarge everything outside of the actual hole by about 2mm in either direction

3 weeks later
#4337 4 years ago

Other playfields are ones that came in with recent projects.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

the playmate on the right of the bally playboy still reminds me of kitty (debra jo rupp) from 'that 70s show'

#4374 4 years ago
Quoted from JDissen87:

I'm sure you've answered this before, but my search came up empty. What what solder lug terminals are you using under your lamp sockets?

http://pinrestore.com/Hardware.html
near the bottom of the page, labeled as 'solder lugs' ( $1 for a pack of 8 )

1 week later
#4466 4 years ago

nice BLACK socks 'old man'

are you attempting to out old man brYan kelly?

#4494 4 years ago

wow, the original centaur playfield had a lot of staple down lamp braid

1 week later
#4655 4 years ago
2 weeks later
#4849 4 years ago

no more flaming ball decal on the transformer?!? chris "buzzkill" hutchins strikes again

#4865 4 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Chris- That Weller soldering station you use- what model is it? Is it both a de-soldering and soldering at the same time, or is one feature off while the other is on? Thanks! And don't close the thread down!

I love my weller WD 2M. with the magnetic switches in the stands, it warms from 0 to 660°F in under 3 seconds

#4884 4 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

Why not just have new flaps made? Material for those should be readily available, and then all you need is someone with a CNC waterjet or big laser. You can hand-cut them, but obviously that's much more annoying. That material sucks to work with by hand.
--Donnie

I'm really surprised that someone that is a pinball fan and owns/works in a small shop with a CNC waterjet hasn't already taken this on. it's an easy part to produce and there is money to be made.

#4886 4 years ago

what's really weird about that yellow/orange leopard-like pattern is that I don't see any repetition. normally, something like that is a few inches to a foot in length and then it repeats (or is rotated and repeats). if that were the case, it would have been a lot easier to create a template and then mask off the cabinet with it prior to shoot a section

#4887 4 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

Problem is there are a TON of different flaps....it's not one or a small number of parts. Yes, it's still pretty easy to do, but you have to re-draw each one in CAD and then track and maintain each of them in inventory.
I'd go have them made and do it if it were less than 10 different parts (and someone sent me "bad" ones to go by), but being that it's a lot more you end up selling not many. I think you also need to do "blue" them again after you cut...the material is pre-treated that I've seen, but once you cut it you need to do the edges again or they'll rust.
--Donnie

agreed, but they could be done in stainless so that you could eliminate the "bluing" process (and worrying about rust) altogether. I'm also guessing that by today's standards there are a lot less variations, so it's the older 80s and 90s games where you have a great number of different flap sizes and shapes. given the size, you could produce a 100 of any given design and they wouldn't take up a great deal of space. how much costs you have tied up in raw materials and the resulting stock is another matter altogether

unless you were planning on making this [your] niche market and sell them (sort of like how pinbits.com used to be), I would think that you could probably get CAD drawings and "do" a run of a given shape and become a supplier to a place like marco's specialties or pinball life

#4941 4 years ago

someone needs to get mama some pure vanilla from mexico. I had a buddy pick me up a 48oz bottle of the stuff (which was only $6). I've given people 4 or 8oz here and there and it still took me almost 2 years to finish the bottle!

#4984 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

You would think after making so many fields , these errors would be taken care of at the factory...

you would think, but I'll bet locations that were never correct are still are never re-addressed even with the reproduction playfields. given the number of dimples present on both the top and bottom side of a playfield, it's really easy to get one wrong or miss it altogether

I know that I ran through 7 revisions of correction for all of the topside hole and dimples with CPR and joust playfield. every time that I thought I had everything correct, I found something "off" just enough to make me re-measure and have them reposition things for another run and another subsequent check

#5003 4 years ago

chris
when you add the molex connectors, are you standardizing the orientation of your wiring?

with the joust playfield swap, I'm finding that 99% of my connections are of the two wire variety with red and some combination of white, gray, brown, blue or some striped variation. with all of my connectors, I've oriented them so that the [pointed] end of the connector is always red (and I use some variation of pin and socket on the plug or recepticle end

in the event that should someone inadvertently plug the wrong 2 connectors together, it eliminates the potential for shorting out the circuit

#5011 4 years ago

is ron jeremy going back into this BSD or is it being replaced with one of brock's mods? he did a really awesome job on the sculpting (I just wish that he followed through on the flickering torches)

#5035 4 years ago

I heard that chris has top men working on it

top men!

#5069 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

What's this "golden ale" crap?

chris is starting to get to the "bryan kelly" age where he can't handle real beers every day of the week
I think I'll send him a split case of bud lite orange and lime

1 week later
#5191 4 years ago

TOTAN playfield is building up

hey chris
that wire guide rail looks crooked

1 week later
#5269 4 years ago

your dust collector is filthy. unacceptable!

#5274 4 years ago

adding to Atari_Daze post
his second link actually starts here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/14#post-4641158

where chris explains (in great detail) why you do this

#5330 4 years ago

chris:
when are you starting the HEP restore camp where would-be pinball restorers get to come down and in exchange for room, board and fantastic meals (and beer!) you get a hired hand for the week?

#5337 4 years ago

One day I am honestly going to do something like that. Don’t know when or how exactly right now but it is something I do plan on doing at least once.

I'll look for my cut of the proceeds

I think that I've got the price structure worked out for you

basic course
$500 / week
covers the cost of your meals and room & board. during your indentured servitude, you will tutor under jedi master chris hutchins learning all of the tricks of the trade

advanced
$2,500* / week
covers the cost of your meals and room & board, allowing you to bring your own game that you will restore under chris' guidance

ultimate
$10,000* / week
covers the cost of your meals and room & board, chris restores one of your games while you get to supervise, provide input and drink 10%+ beers

* additional fees may be incurred based on the number of questions you ask and issues that chris has to fix

1 week later
#5402 4 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Once they come out of the tumbler, do how do you protect them? The tumbler usually removes some sort of protective coating on the metal.

flitz in the media adds a bit of a wax/polish protective coating to the parts

2 weeks later
#5535 4 years ago

and right now that cat is wondering "where the heck is my cool, smooth, high top bed?!?"

2 weeks later
#5655 4 years ago

even before the harnesses are back in place, the bottom of the fathom playfield looks packed (and I thought that the joust was bad

1 week later
#5720 4 years ago

chris,
does jetsy offer a set of stencils for the PotO apron? that would be killer if he did and you could re-do it just like a cabinet

lots of weeding though

#5723 4 years ago

umm chris… the canadian mountie appears to have fallen of his horse on your bottle. was it the 11.3% that caused him to do so?

#5729 4 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

OK. I'm throwing in the towel. I need advice. I am restoring a pin and love how HEP puts plugs on coils and switches underneath the playfield. I have looked everywhere through this thread and countless sites online and I can't seem to find a standardized molex configuration. Hopefully it's something so simple that I'm just missing. Trying to determine which wire goes into the pointed end of the molex plug. I thought I've see it both ways... The positive in the point? The negative in the point? I tried blowing up pictures to see the band on the diode to see if there was a consistent side for the plug.
I've see Chris even reverse the male and female pins so that someone couldn't plug in the wrong coil/switch. Is the pin/wire placement random or is there a system people follow? Thanks.

when I did it on the joust playfield swap that I just recently completed, I tried to use the following standards
- always keep the common wire at the bottom of the connector (this gives you a visual sanity check) that you're not going to inadvertently reverse the [hot] wire and the ground from one coil to the next
- if the harness connectors that I added were in the same proximity as another same-type connector, this is where I started to vary the pins (pins on the coil side, socket on the harness side, or combinations there of when 3 or more were close enough that they could be accidentally plugged into each other
- I used 0.062 for switch and lamp connections and 0.093 for power (except where I was passing a harness through the playfield with a very short run and had a very small hole to push the connector through

the easiest way to do this is add the connectors to your existing harness one at a time with everything still in place. this way you can double-check your work immediately (rather than try and track down a potentially bad crimp, wire that has slid out of the connector, etc...)

#5761 4 years ago

chris:
exactly how many brand specific beer glasses do you own?!? I swear you've got a glass for just about every major brewery
which begs the question, 'are you getting paid for all of these indorsements?'

#5781 4 years ago

today was a good day at one of the local beer stores

scored some flying monkey chocolate manifesto’s

DE54CA30-D189-4809-91DB-A53F79A75D50 (resized).jpegDE54CA30-D189-4809-91DB-A53F79A75D50 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#5831 4 years ago

compared to the earlier games, the move to light boards underneath really helps clean up the wiring, doesn't it?

1 month later
#6128 4 years ago
Quoted from Stretch7:

Great to see you take the time to get it right.
It really is alot of extra work when dimples are not correct or missing....especially if you dont have an original to work off.
Im finding these aftermarket playfield mfg should worry about the quality of dimpling just as much as the quality of clear and printing process.

in a perfect world, yes
however, given that even today, most of the components are installed by hand and there can be what amounts to large variances between any 2 machines coming off of the line

what chris has pointed out is something that should be taken to heart by anyone wanting to perform their own playfield swap which is to take the time tio measure twice, drill once so to speak. you can easily transfer the assemblies, but unless you're willing to take the time and ensure that everything is positioned correctly, your newly assembled game may not play as well as you'd expect it to

#6132 4 years ago

I missing something. where is the lightboard going to attach to the crib?

#6158 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

How many points if you shoot one in a beer glass?

-100 since I believe those cornhole bags are also silica gel desiccants

#6161 4 years ago

I play as many games and make as many adjustments as it takes to get a few flawless error free plays and proper ball travel for each and every shot/kickout.

I'm reading this as "if it's a game that I really, really like, it can take me weeks or even months to make the necessary adjustments"
just kidding chris

#6178 4 years ago

New projects.
[quoted image]
Pulled the back plate of the BK when unloading.came off in my hand
Quality construction

I have the feeling that chris was listening to this while unloading the games

2 weeks later
#6291 4 years ago

All the new banks are wired and on corresponding plugs on the new playfield.
The new insulated Buss wire is color correct and blends in well with the blue paint used for the underside. This was part of my plan.

chris
what was the reasoning for painting the underside of this playfield dark blue? it seems to me like it's actually counterproductive for when you have to troubleshoot something. the darker color makes it more difficult to trace things (like the blue GI wire that you used)

#6315 4 years ago

Large playfield shipment arrives. [quoted image]

are we going to see a restoration of indiana jones and the haunted house? (was that a gottlieb-williams direct to video movie?

4 weeks later
#6522 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Do you make notes on the playfield or is that writing just now visible after you removed the harness?

what's really cool is that Williams actually did screen the bottom of some playfields with wiring information. the bottom of my neighbor's cyclone has dotted line markings on where the GI braid was run and wire colors for the lamp and switches. I'll get him to take a photo and send it to me

edit:

7146A6E4-4259-4F68-8D73-C11E2D972D48 (resized).jpeg7146A6E4-4259-4F68-8D73-C11E2D972D48 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#6822 3 years ago

the paint job on that wood rail is looking great chris

#6835 3 years ago

the BK looks beautiful but I was surprised to the see back of the backbox lacking the warning screening. was this something that the owner requested?

#6921 3 years ago

that graining tool worked wonders in making the playfield look much more natural

#6952 3 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

and i'm the opposite, I have to have them all different, same with my playfield screws

I've heard that you bring screwdrivers with you to people's homes and randomly turn the screw heads to make them point in all different directions as well
so, just stay over there on the west coast buddy!

3 weeks later
#7153 3 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Beautiful work once again Chris.
And who doesn’t have memories of playing Krull? They were everywhere when I was a kid.

how could a game where only 10 were produced have been "everywhere" when you were a kid? unless you're talking about the arcade game and not the pinball

2 months later
#7801 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Now THATS how you buy hardware!

and people thought *I* was crazy when I did it a few times to offer up some hard to find black oxide hardware. truly, it's the only cost effective way. if you're not chris, it just takes some time to count out bags of 100 to sell

2 weeks later
#7887 3 years ago

happy belated. talk to me when you're finally "old" like brYan, mccune and I

4 months later
#8632 3 years ago

I know this would be a complete pain to do (and you'd have to get the pinball pimp to make you an additional set of stencils), but both of the riders would really pop if you were to be able to fill them in with silver, giving you a black outline just like the centaur logo itself.

#8644 3 years ago

hi. I just popped back into this thread because I heard that I won some sort of prize for influencing mr. hutchins

#8662 3 years ago

it's amazing that given how long pinball machines have been manufactured, that the companies haven't made changes to ease serviceability.

then again, some of those companies are just now finally getting to the 21st century in terms of displaying error codes and bad lamp and switches.

1 year later
#10765 2 years ago

chris
are you aware that you have a ghost following you around and checking out your work?
ghost (resized).jpgghost (resized).jpg

3 months later
#11254 1 year ago

New week I got a couple games out and had several come in. Getting close to capacity once again. It’s taking much longer to work through games these days many are just so rough.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

is that a "special" head for that andromeda?

8 months later
#12152 1 year ago

yes, chris adds molex connectors to the coils for serviceability. go back and read the thread. it's a short read.

1 week later
#12220 1 year ago

Me either. Firewood.
I have had some with some minor issues but that’s the worst.

fire.giffire.gif

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 16.00
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 12.95
$ 1,059.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18?tu=j_m_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.